Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/474-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Tow Shield
JDCrow
Overheating
cbr046
A/C Part Identification
Bob Keating
A/C Part Identification
trailmug
Overheating
Chargerman
A/C Part Identification
Bob Keating
Overheating
RVSSNAKE
Friction Tape: 3M or ???
Jim H.
Attention all DIYs
dl_racing427
Attention all DIYs
lake49068
A/C Part Identification
Harvey Babb
Battery Temperature Sensor
Scotty Hutto
A/C Part Identification
Bob Keating
A/C Part Identification
Chuck B
MCD Shades
woodylmiller
Chasing Wires in the Dash
woodylmiller
A/C Part Identification
trailmug
Tow Shield
Ivan K
Overheating
Paul A.
09 HR Navigator
Donnie
09 HR Navigator
KevinH
09 HR Navigator
Donnie
Tow Shield
JDCrow
Tow Shield
Ivan K
Tow Shield
JDCrow
Headlights in a 2005 HR Scepter
daveyjo
Mel S - '96 Safari
A/C Part Identification
Moonwink
09 HR Navigator
vito.a
Attention all DIYs
Rikadoo
FishAR
Toddgoodwin
CCC thermostat
Gary 05 AMB DST
Overheating
wayne.cerven@gmail.com
Overheating
Gary 05 AMB DST
CCC thermostat
Walker
A/C Part Identification
Bob Keating
Girard Awning
wamcneil
Mac/air valve replaced and I have an issue.
rusty@kramermetalfab.com
Girard Awning
Biljol
Racor 300/200 fuel filter.
Rob connors

Tow Shield
JDCrow
On 6/29/2021 at 1:54 PM, Ivan K said:

We use a custom home made version, they both seem similar but their standard versions would not fit our setup, at least at that time. No chips from the motorhome but it does not protect from ongoing traffic debree. Some windshield sand blasting from the roads we take, assuming from opposite traffic but nothing at the front mask. Not too bad and at least 30k miles later, still good. The middle rod just adds unnecessary work IMO.

20210606_132153.jpg

Is that an H3? Are you using the D-Ring mounts for the tow bar Hook up? 

Overheating
cbr046

A little different application, but I use a 30 yr old gas powered power washer to clean my off road bike.  It's got an adjustable wand (not the type that replaces nozzles tips) that can almost cut concrete with a focused stream.  Twist it to fan spray and can wash the bike without getting water under the seals or blowing off the decals. 

At a distance with a fan spray I wouldn't be afraid to do my Endeavor radiator. 

Be sure to let the Simple Green set for 10-15 min.  Even the green stuff is like magic. 

- bob

A/C Part Identification
Bob Keating

Thanks, Harvey.

I have attached a better photo with the cap on. It is mounted on a T connection on the upper end of the condenser coil. I can only assume that it is used to shut off the refrigerant in that line for servicing. if you look close, you can see the oily residue on the T fitting. Is it possible the cap o-ring is the issue?

Bob Keating

09 Cayman1231200566_ACValve.thumb.jpg.4934182b683568550582bedeaa074d7b.jpg

A/C Part Identification
trailmug

Yeah, looks like a shutoff valve like you'd use to pump down a residential unit.. never seen one on a mobile application. Any chance of enough hose slack to turn it 90 degrees and hook it straight up to the condenser? 

The O rings on those kids of fittings are the primary seal.. if it's replaceable, it definitely sounds like a promising place to start. 

Overheating
Chargerman

In many cases a dirty radiator is only really evident outside of the fan diameter in the corners and a along the edges. Using the safe Simple Green and a garden hose sprayer usually works fine. I’m hesitant to use a power washer.  As others have mentioned, let the Simple Green set a bit on a cold radiator. Best to take your time and do the procedure a couple times. 

A/C Part Identification
Bob Keating

Robert,

I think I will try to do just that.

Thank you for your input.

Overheating
RVSSNAKE
9 hours ago, Wrayj1 said:

John, what PSI pressure washer do you use?

Mine is 3100psi.

I use the 45* setting on the tip and stay about a foot or two away.

Jim H.

Hi Woody.  If you're still looking for that friction tape, here's a pic

20200215_121446.jpg

20200215_121440.jpg

Attention all DIYs
dl_racing427
17 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

Your owners manual called for synthetic gear oil? 

My '08 model uses non-synthetic.

I don't even buy dino oil anymore, haven't for decades.

My daily beater Ford Focus is over 310,000 miles on Mobil 1 every 10,000 miles, and still uses no oil between changes. 😎

If a piece of equipment is important enough for me to own, it deserves the best oil I can get.

I use Shell Spirax synthetic in my coach's axle, and Transynd transmission fluid, as well as Rotella T6 synthetic in the engine.

The protection is worth a few extra bucks.

Attention all DIYs
lake49068

I worked for Eaton/Dana axle for many years and they offered an extended warranty if synthetic oil was used as well as an extension to the change interval.  Based on their engineering tests, synthetic is a much better lube.

Adam 

2010 Neptune 37PDQ

A/C Part Identification
Harvey Babb

Yes, the O-ring in the cap is the likely problem here. The seal around the stem is a very simple one and only meant to prevent gross leakage while service is being performed. The "static" seal for long term is the cap. Older valves used a metal cap and worked just like hose fittings with metal to metal seal. The plastic cap with O-ring or gasket is the cheap way out. Hopefully the plastic cap isn't cracked...

While removing the valve would remove any possibility of a leak that would mean losing all the refrigerant, pumping down and refilling. You probably won't be able to pump the system down without using the valve so that doesn't sound like a real option.

Scotty Hutto
14 hours ago, FishAR said:

I was wondering if I could splice the new magnum sensor into the old telephone wire run. Some sort of phone wire connector splice?

Short answer: Yes. I’ve done it.  

Make sure you match the color sequence of the wires. 

I cut the wire and added RJ-11 plugs on each end with a phone jack crimp tool, then used a double-female phone connector. You don’t have to use this (I already had everything on hand)…. Just make sure your connections are secure, insulated, and somewhat resistant to vibration.  

A/C Part Identification
Bob Keating

Thanks, Harvey, and thanks to all who replied to this post!

The cap seems to be intact, so I will replace the o-ring.

The compressor also has Schrader valves in addition to the ones up front. I will replace those, also.

Thanks again to all for the valuable input.

A/C Part Identification
Chuck B

At what temp does the evaporator fan start running?  Most people turn on the dash air before the engine reaches normal operating temperature.  If one does, it causes the high side freon to get too high putting higher than normal pressure on the evaporator and associate parts that can cause leaks.    Chuck B 2004 Windsor

MCD Shades
woodylmiller

Very nice work.  Those front windshield shades are not the easiest things in the world to install.  I just had mine down to do some work around the dash and corner post areas.  We have the motorized on all the cockpit shades.  At night, one button sends them all down to the correct length to black out the entire cockpit, in the morning one button will bring them all back up.  Pricey, but very nice.

Woody Miller

Anybody know what this is and what it does?
woodylmiller

I agree that it is quite the adventure to take a look at what all is in the mess of wires and other things in the dash.  This was not under the dash but, while installing new headlights I find splices inside the black wire looms where the wire colors were changed.  The wiring is bad enough as it is without hiding splices and wire color changes.

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty Regal IV

Chasing Wires in the Dash
woodylmiller

Going through this same thing now.  Zip ties, Ty-Raps, whatever, "twist" the tail off and it does not leave a razor sharp edge.  I have a ty rap gun type device that tightens and then cuts the tail without leaving that bleeder razor edge to it.  I replace all the ty's I come across that have that razor blade tail.  The wiring is a mess.  I have found a couple places where someone went from white ground to a yellow with a green stripe so check with a meter.  Monaco used white for almost everything, hot and ground.  The hot will be marked with the source and destination but I notice their "naming" doesn't seem to make any sense, plus you need at minimum a magnifying glass to read it, and then hope someone along the way didn't splice on to it with no documentation.  I use white electrical tape to write on with a sharpie to mark all the "strange" wires I come across once I figure out what it is.  You think having a rat under the dash can make a mess, we had a grey squirrel in ours at one point.  The only good thing that came from that is we have not had any rodents in the coach since.  Squirrels eat mice.

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty Regal IV 

Splicing battery telephone sensor wire
Chuck B

The flat telephone type sensor wire is not able to be spliced because its not a solid wire.  That type of wire is subject to induced cross talk because the wire is not twisted.  The RV manufacturers us that wire because it's a lot cheaper.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

A/C Part Identification
trailmug

That one looks like an electric pusher which is probably wired up to run anytime the clutch is engaged. Mine willl even do it engine off, key on.

Tow Shield
Ivan K
9 hours ago, JDCrow said:

Is that an H3? Are you using the D-Ring mounts for the tow bar Hook up? 

Yeah, the D rings have been replaced with that kit, using the same holes so it is clean looking.

Overheating
Paul A.

Check the radiator for needed cleanng at night with a trouble light shining from the engne side. You will see the areas needing attention.

09 HR Navigator
Donnie

My water auto fill has quit working. I have replaced the Asco valve and still doesn't work it still doesn't in either position. Any ideas?

Thanks

Don

09 HR Navigator
KevinH

Do you have an Aladdin system? If so it must be turned on. 

09 HR Navigator
Donnie

No

Tow Shield
JDCrow
43 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

Yeah, the D rings have been replaced with that kit, using the same holes so it is clean looking.

Blue ox kit? We are adding a front bumper with the set up for the rings and looking mounting same 

Tow Shield
Ivan K
6 minutes ago, JDCrow said:

Blue ox kit? We are adding a front bumper with the set up for the rings and looking mounting same 

It's been years but pretty sure it was blue ox kit. Some hardware and big bolts and then drilling in the frame horns was required. Works great and I carry pins and bungees for pulling me out in place of the old rings.

eddie4ne

This thread is just what I needed! I have read all of the threads describing the screw action of the step cover and we do not have that on our 02 Windsor. Our cover has been problematic for a good while. It will come out but will not go back in without pushing it but occasionally it worked just fine.

Thank you for the information but can you please direct me to the location of the valve?

Sharon

Tow Shield
JDCrow

Thanks! 

Ivan K
36 minutes ago, eddie4ne said:

This thread is just what I needed! I have read all of the threads describing the screw action of the step cover and we do not have that on our 02 Windsor. Our cover has been problematic for a good while. It will come out but will not go back in without pushing it but occasionally it worked just fine.

Thank you for the information but can you please direct me to the location of the valve?

Sharon

Ours is on passenger side by the front lower generator corner.

Screenshot_20210705-120508_Gallery.jpg

daveyjo

I have been trying to figure out what LED headlights to buy for my 2005 HR Scepter.  I know they take type H9 Halogen lamps for both high and low beams, but when reviewing postings I get confused, so I thought I'd go to some vendors for info.  It appears that M4 products is a pretty reliable vendor, and headlight revolution (https://www.headlightrevolution.com/search?keywords=customer service) is also highly recommended for good info.  Of course their online lamp selector wants to know what make of CAR I have, and of course, Monaco or Holiday Rambler don't exist among their choices, but it occurred to me that if I knew what car is the source of the headlight assembly in my coach (2005 Scepter), perhaps I could approach these vendors with that information and see what they suggest.  I saw a suggestion to see what the OEM number is on the assembly, but I can't see a number on it.  Attached is a picture of the headlight.

Two Headlighs resized.jpg

bobdinsmore

On my 2000 Diplomat mine is on the outside of the firewall in front of the driver. You'll see the air loines as in the photo.

A/C Part Identification
Moonwink

The common name for this is "king valve" and it's purpose is to stop the flow of refrigerant allowing the system to be "pumped down" and stored in the receiver/condenser for service purposes.  Not very common these days.  I found this cutaway view of a similar valve that would bolt on to the compressor.  Yours don't look like it has a "packing nut" on it like the one in the picture.  Yes, the cap should seal it and yes, the oil is a sign of a leak.

This one has a "gauge port" which I don't think yours has.  Anyway, "backseat" the valve - meaning back the stem all the way out against the upper seat for use.  That should help seal any leak.  "Frontseating" the valve would stop the flow of refrigerant.

Compressor-Service-Valve-System.png

09 HR Navigator
vito.a

What ever system you use to monitor tank quantities must be on with properly calibrated quantity sensors for autofill to work. 

For most of us its Aladdin.

vito.a

Yes but you can crimp a new connector on the cable as well as the sensor and then use a coupler.

JDCrow
16 minutes ago, vito.a said:

Yes but you can crimp a new connector on the cable as well as the sensor and then use a coupler.

I would think so. I create my own Cat 5/6 cables all the time for Poe cameras 

Attention all DIYs
Rikadoo

So the owners manual says it requires a GL-5 lubricant it does not say yes or no to synthetic, i had used to work for Ford and that synthetic gear lube 75w140 is some of the best out there. However it runs $33.00 per qt. We even use it in our nitro funny car! However i know the Delo trade mark an the history it holds with the trucking industry, so i did a little homework an trucking shops speak very highly of it.

So i can add that evertime i have converted from hypoid to synthetic the same values hold true,Less gear noise, quieter gear train, less vibration. So i just drove 300 miles thru the Sierras pullin a toad an all there was no doubt i made the right choise😎

Oh by the way i crawled under the rig an examined the U joints, there fine. I also use red line grease on all the suspension

FishAR
6 hours ago, Scotty Hutto said:

Short answer: Yes. I’ve done it.  

Make sure you match the color sequence of the wires. 

I cut the wire and added RJ-11 plugs on each end with a phone jack crimp tool, then used a double-female phone connector. You don’t have to use this (I already had everything on hand)…. Just make sure your connections are secure, insulated, and somewhat resistant to vibration.  

Thanks much! I went ahead and ordered the tool even though I'll probably only use it once. Tool, ends, connector for $20. Worth it for peace of mind.

I know I could just leave it unplugged but I feel better having everything connected.

Toddgoodwin

I bought mine from Headlight Revolution.   They were very knowledgeable and the headlights have been great.

CCC thermostat
Gary 05 AMB DST

I am trying to understand the thermostat and dip switch. I believe that in my 05 Ambassador it had the CCC thermostat. I see CCC2 mentioned a lot. I remember seeing that when you install a new AC, you have to set the dip switches to match the previous setting. I also saw that you can change the board from the old AC to the new AC and it will be set to work off of the CCC settings. This seems much easier than getting a CCC2 thermostat and setting the dip switches even though I already have a CCC2 waiting in the wings.🤔 As Judge Janine would say, "What say you?"

Gary 05 AMB DST 

Overheating
wayne.cerven@gmail.com

Thought I would add to the post, it is 90 degrees outside,  you are working the motor, running at 200 degrees or even climbing higher when on a hard pull to me is normal, as soon as you back off on the fuel and or come down a long grade and temp drops between 185 / 190 that to me is perfectly normal,  anyone else? 

Hope that helps

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

Overheating
Gary 05 AMB DST

At what temperature does the warning light come on? 

Gary 05 AMB DST

CCC thermostat
Walker

Gary-the control board logic has to match the thermostat logic.  So basically ccc=old style boards and ccc2= new style boards.  IF you're replacing all of your a/c units, I don't see a reason not to switch to the new ccc2.  The dip switches are easy to set and really have no bearing on control board / thermostat choice.  The dip switches simply tell the thermostat what is hooked to it.  If you have a furnace turn on that dip switch, if you have heat strips, turn on that dip switch etc..

A/C Part Identification
Bob Keating

Thanks, Moonwink.

I did  just that. So far, after replacing some o-rings and tightening some fittings, it seems to be holding pressure.

Girard Awning
wamcneil

The overcurrent box is supposed to sense an increase in current when the awning comes all the way in and stops. The current jumps up and the current limiter interrupts the power and then resets itself. Presumably it would do the same thing extending, but it hits the limit switch and the motor stops itself, so there’s no current surge in that direction. 
The control board has an extend relay and a retract relay. A failed extend relay would explain your problem. You can jumper the motor and get it to extend, right? If that’s the case, it’s not a motor problem. 
If you hear the extend relay click when you hit the button, and there’s no power going to the motor, chances are that’s the problem. 
The relays are hard to find. I found some on eBay, shipped from China. 
cheers

Walter

jacwjames

On my 2002 Windsor the mac valve is right above the generator mounted on the firewall. 

rusty@kramermetalfab.com

Update, Located adjuster/bleed screws to slow down the step. Thanks Ivan! Brakes were rusted from a rainy trip before parking it for the year. Got them loosened up. Thanks to all.  Eddie, The mac valve is usually the issue with the step cover. It was for me. Be sure to buy new air line fittings. I also bought a screened port for the Exhaust. Mine was open and it sure seems like it could get dirt in it. 

Girard Awning
Biljol

I actually hear the out relay click or some relay but the motor does not go out.

Yes I don’t think it’s the motor now because I can make it extend by jumping the 120v. I see some diagrams in the manual to install a switch and it gets setup without the controller board. We never use the remote and the wind sensor has been broken for a long time so the manual switch system seems a good idea to me. 

Tested with and without the current limiter and it works fine so may leave that in play. With the manual switch.

I also do like the idea of the newer motor with the digital stops but not wanting to tear into the unit at the moment.

Any other thoughts?

Biljol

I have done this kind of the magnum uses a straight cable and the trace used a flip cut the end off and crimp a new rj11.

I also switched to lithium and did not need the temp sensor clipped off and used for a shunt.

Rob connors

I have some but won’t be back home till October 1st Sorry I think I was the one that mentioned that I had some 

Taking a long trip, what parts to bring along
JDCrow

Have a great trip planned for October (Utah, Nevada, Arizona) and wanted to ask besides the insane amount of tools I pack with me, what parts are critical? 

I believe many have said ride height adjusters, and I assume fuses and fluids. Any thing that stands out that I can’t pick up out on the road to nowhere 

BobSchmeck

Add a fuel, water filter, & serpentine belt, to that list

We should be back from our trip by October.  Would love to see your rig. We have a 2001 that needs flooring & a paint job. That is if you get near Gilbert.  

Forgot a quart of diesel to prime that fuel filter with. 

JDCrow
52 minutes ago, BobSchmeck said:

Add a fuel, water filter, & serpentine belt, to that list

We should be back from our trip by October.  Would love to see your rig. We have a 2001 that needs flooring & a paint job. That is if you get near Gilbert.  

Forgot a quart of diesel to prime that fuel filter with. 

Let me see where Gilbert is LOL. 

So your a little bit the other side of where we will be. Coming down from Zion to Horseshoe Bend. Don’t have Sedona on our list. Plan on hitting 303 down to the interstate (By Pass Phoenix, Never been there either), and over to Quartzsite down to Yuma to visit friends. 

BobSchmeck
13 minutes ago, JDCrow said:

Let me see where Gilbert is LOL. 

So your a little bit the other side of where we will be. Coming down from Zion to Horseshoe Bend. Don’t have Sedona on our list. Plan on hitting 303 down to the interstate (By Pass Phoenix, Never been there either), and over to Quartzsite down to Yuma to visit friends. 

Thats not far from us. Keep in touch, we probably could meet up somewhere along your route. Have some plans for yuma & Quartzsite 4 wheeling.  

Ivan K

AC capacitors. Aqua Hot nozzle if you have that. Fuel filters. Hard to get any of these in boonies and with no address to have it shipped when on the move. And so much more and never enough... Roadside assistance.

Romeo84

Ya no problem when u get back is awesome 

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.