Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/476-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Taking a long trip, what parts to bring along
wayne.cerven@gmail.com
wayne.cerven@gmail.com
Should I go to Elkhart
Donflem
Should I go to Elkhart
sheena154
Hill climbing
Dr4Film
Should I go to Elkhart
redstickbill
Should I go to Elkhart
The Hales
Should I go to Elkhart
John Haggard
Should I go to Elkhart
bklaes
Should I go to Elkhart
John Haggard
rusty@kramermetalfab.com
Should I go to Elkhart
tmw188
granvillebarker
wayne.cerven@gmail.com
Should I go to Elkhart
Chargerman
wayne.cerven@gmail.com
09 HR Navigator
Donnie
wayne.cerven@gmail.com
Should I go to Elkhart
Chuck B
Should I go to Elkhart
Ron Jones
Generator Issues
Nevada Rob
Hill climbing
FishAR
ATC Indicator Light
Nevada Rob
Diplomat Duo Therm Heat pump problem
rwilliamsr42
ATC Indicator Light
cbr046
ATC Indicator Light
Ivan K
Gary Cole
rwilliamsr42
Hill climbing
96 EVO
ATC Indicator Light
Frank McElroy
Hill climbing
Chuck B
wayne.cerven@gmail.com
Gary Cole
ATC Indicator Light
Gary 05 AMB DST
ATC Indicator Light
Nevada Rob
ATC Indicator Light
cbr046
Gary Cole
wayne.cerven@gmail.com

wayne.cerven@gmail.com

Morning 

I thought of something else last night when I was thinking about our trip to Iron man Tempe Arizona,  it is a long journey from Northern Ontario,  been done a few times, I put on new steering tires, drives and tag are coming up on 5 years, so I am going to carry one of the steering tires (rubber soft spare) as a spare and lay it down in the bed of my Dodge Ram, bikes and othe gear on top. Going to purchase a soft top from Boulder Colorado to keep everything out of the elements. Pray that we don't flat out but if we do call road  side assistance  ( CAA RV plus) have coffee and have the service truck put the spare on the rim, carry 3/4 inch socket and rachet with a 4 foot bar so I can re check after 100 miles or so, it can be nicely stored in the box of the truck as well. 

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

moxy1962

Coach net membership, relatively complete socket set, electric tester and test light, if possible spare tire and rim, 20 ton bottle jack, hi powered impact gun and wheel nut socket, bulbs, spare Fuses, spare fuel filter and nozzles for aqua hot, generator and engine, spare serpentine bet, one jug of rotella, 2 gallons concentrated antifreeze, at least one litre of  oil for wet hubs if you have them, filter or strap wrench, roll of gorilla tape, hand full of 6 inch 2 x 4’s in case you have airbag issues, I carry a spare air bag, to that end I carry two airline clamps just incase, few in line fuses, collection of heat shrink connectors and heat gun, few lengths of wire different gauges, a funnel, handful of stainless hose clamps, few spare switches for lights, spare water pump switching box, spare sensors and batteries for tire monitoring system, 

that’s a start for sure, I am fortunate my coach has lots of room but when I and 1000’s of miles from home stopped on the the side of the road it pays to be prepared

Moxy

wayne.cerven@gmail.com

I like the spare air bag idea, does anyone have the part number/fitting sizes for the firestone air bag,I looked in my spec sheet and no luck,other than climbing underneath which I am not a fan of even with all the air out .

Thanks in advance 

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

Should I go to Elkhart
Donflem

So I’m in Cincinnati for the day. I was thinking about driving up to Elkhart  just for the experience and to go to the RV museum. I was wondering if anybody’s been there and is it worth my time to go up there? I also need to have my  Aqua hot worked on I thought maybe that would be a good place to do it?   Any thoughts thanks in advance. 

Don

Should I go to Elkhart
sheena154

We loved the museum and it's worth the trip.

Tricia Neuzil

Hill climbing
Dr4Film

Going up the mountain, down shift to whatever gear is needed to keep your diesel engine running at the best RPM for power which should be in the range of 1800-2500 RPM's depending on your engine. That will give you the best power band. There have been only a few grades I have traveled where I've been all the way down to first gear to keep the rpm's at peak power. However most only require going down to 3rd or 4th gear.

I keep my Cummins ISC-350 right around 2000 rpm's regardless of what the boost pressure gauge displays. The tach is your friend and what you need to monitor not the boost pressure.

Should I go to Elkhart
redstickbill

I agree with Tricia, the museum is well worth the trip. Do you need any spare parts?, last time We were in the Elkhart are we visited several of the RV surplus places, I always seem to find that something that I need.

Bill B 07 Dynasty

Should I go to Elkhart
The Hales

The Museum is a pilgrimage for all real RVers.  I don’t remember much else going on in Elkhart other than RV manufacturing. 

Should I go to Elkhart
John Haggard

Good advice above

It's easy to spend 3 or 4 days in Northern Indiana rv country 

Should I go to Elkhart
bklaes

Yes to the museum. I've had very good service at Elkhart Sales and Service. Tom there is a Monaco expert. Although I don't have an aqua hot so I can't speak to that.  ES& S stays busy and hard to get in without an appointment

Should I go to Elkhart
John Haggard
1 minute ago, The Hales said:

The Museum is a pilgrimage for all real RVers.  I don’t remember much else going on in Elkhart other than RV manufacturing. 

Lots of great Agricultural 👍 sites

Amish restaurant s

Fruit stands

Antiques 

rusty@kramermetalfab.com

Ride height adjusters can leak air pretty bad They have o-rings in them. I have had a leaker.   I have been lucky and my audible air leaks have been before I leave and have had time to repair. I would add an assortment of air line fittings, sealant for pipe threads,  and a length of DOT air line.  Any time I replace a fitting I just buy two of the type I replace.  They are pretty cheap.   I suddenly had a serious leak at my dash air gauge. It was just a swivel fitting that let go quickly. 

Should I go to Elkhart
tmw188

You might want to stay in Shipshewana and drive into Elkhart. 

granvillebarker

Just pack what you think you need and go.   I used to take way too many tools and extra parts, but they were never the ones we needed.  I have a small toolset now, (still probably more than I need) and someone has a key to my shop and can ship me more tools if I needed.

Now if I were driving to Alaska again, I’d probably have everything everyone has mentioned in the thread plus a sat phone with internet access to you guys!

—-

Granville Barker

05 Dynasty

Ray Davis

Something I feel worth mentioning is fuel and water.   I may be preaching mostly to the choir but maybe not.  Our former leader Bill D ( RIP ) often prodded us to fill up when the level reaches 1/2 tank and to have plenty water on board.  If you should become disabled and waiting on assistance it is apt to be a long wait.   You can count on it being either hot or cold outside so you'll want to be comfortable inside.  Fuel for the gen perhaps for many hours and water for its essential uses will help keep the boss happy.

Granville above is right, you can't possibly take everything plus most things are available near by.  I carry belts,  filters,  some elect misc,  and an assortment of screws etc.  Oh,  I also have some oil, coolant and aqua-hot misc parts on board.   Oh, I have one of those telescoping ladders too,  collapses to a small but heavy unit.                          I better stop before I remember more stuff.

wayne.cerven@gmail.com

Having the second vehicle is the best spare parts in my opinion,  unhook, take a bag of cloths, book into a nice hotel and don't get stressed, call road side assistance and whatever happens happens, You only can control so much.if it is broken that bad someone can have it! It is insured!! 

Anyone have any luck on fitting /air line and firestone air part numbers? 

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

John Haggard
7 minutes ago, wayne.cerven@gmail.com said:

Having the second vehicle is the best spare parts in my opinion,  unhook, take a bag of cloths, book into a nice hotel and don't get stressed, call road side assistance and whatever happens happens, You only can control so much.if it is broken that bad someone can have it! It is insured!! 

Anyone have any luck on fitting /air line and firestone air part numbers? 

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

Wayne

I read where Firestone isn't making air bags now.

True or not?

Don't know 😕

Should I go to Elkhart
Chargerman

Definitely worth the trip. I would suggest a factory tour also if you can get a spot. We did Newmar and Entegra. It was something to see 

wayne.cerven@gmail.com

Not sure, was going to call Peterbuilt this morning but I know they are going to want a part number of some sort, did you change any of you're? And if so what brand/ number ?

Thanks

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

09 HR Navigator
Donnie

John, I looked at everything I can think of and no luck. The fuse is good, the lights on the switch come on when toggled. The switch doesn’t control power going to the valve. My system has 2 blue wires going to one of the red wires on the red hat, that seem strange to me. The valve does click or make sign of trying to activate.

thanks 

Don

John Haggard
5 minutes ago, wayne.cerven@gmail.com said:

Not sure, was going to call Peterbuilt this morning but I know they are going to want a part number of some sort, did you change any of you're? And if so what brand/ number ?

Thanks

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

Sorry

I have never needed to change any out.

I would call josams, Orlando Florida and see what they say. 

They Change out many airbags on Monaco coaches 

wayne.cerven@gmail.com

Thanks

Wayne 

Should I go to Elkhart
Chuck B

It is worth the trip and time spent there.  As far a Monaco brand is concern I doubt there is much to see like it was in the mid 2000 years.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Should I go to Elkhart
Ron Jones

I have been to the RV Museum several times. It's definitely worth the visit but in my opinion, not worth it if you have to drive there from Cincinnati.  You mentioned Aquahot service, I STRONGLY recommend you call so see if you can get an appointment. We were in Elkhart about a month ago and many places were 2-3 months (yes, months) of waiting for an appointment. I have used Paul's RV Service and Interiors, 66540 State Rte 19, Wakarusa, IN 46573 (574) 862-6778 (be sure to call for an appointment). on two occasions and thought he was fair, did good work, and I would use him again. 

I've known Tom at Elkhart Sales and Service for several years and recall that he told me they were writing appointments nearly two months out when I called him.

Generator Issues
Nevada Rob

I have a 10K generator that is about to drive me nuts. It starts and runs great for about 15 minutes. At the 15 minute mark it starts to stall/stumble and blowing puffs of black smoke. This is obviously causing the A/C units issues and every other electrical thing in the coach to loose proper voltage. I remove all the load from the generator and it still does the same thing. I shut it off and restart about 10 seconds later and the stupid thing will run prefect for hours going down the road with all three A/C's, refer, battery charger, the whole enchilada.  Next day we have the same issues with the stalling/stumbling. I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter (3 times), checked all electrical connection to make sure they are tight and secure. No fuel line leaks between the fuel tank and the possessed by evil spirits generator. I am reluctant to take it to the local Cummins shops due to fact that they wanted $600 to just do filter & fluid change. I have read about some people replacing the control board.   

Hill climbing
FishAR
2 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Going up the mountain, down shift to whatever gear is needed to keep your diesel engine running at the best RPM for power which should be in the range of 1800-2500 RPM's depending on your engine. That will give you the best power band. There have been only a few grades I have traveled where I've been all the way down to first gear to keep the rpm's at peak power. However most only require going down to 3rd or 4th gear.

I keep my Cummins ISC-350 right around 2000 rpm's regardless of what the boost pressure gauge displays. The tach is your friend and what you need to monitor not the boost pressure.

This is something that confuses me. Doesn't the Allison take care of that? I've got a paddle shifter on my 2018 Ram 6.7 cummins/aisin dually but I've never used it. I've read lots of people on ram forums talk about how useful it is. My biggest climb has been Monteagle loaded with 16,500 lb fifth wheel and I just let the tranny shift itself.

I know the Monaco weighs a lot more, also mine has a lot larger engine, so maybe not apples to apples but it would seem the allison would be designed to keep it in the acceptable rpm range.

ATC Indicator Light
Nevada Rob

Our first trip out with this new to us coach went fairly well. One concern is the ATC indicator light would start flashing a series of rapid flashes. Then stop for a while then do it again. It seems to flash more as the day got hotter. It was a balmy 114 degrees in Mesquite NV. Anyone else experience this issue?

rwilliamsr42

The rear AC/heat pump in my '02 Diplomat is blowing hot air only.  Due to covid lock downs by the Commissar here in Michigan it has been more that a year since I have used the coach.  I have read a lot about problems with reversing valve becoming stuck and failing to switch from the default heating to cold air.  I am parked for season and contacted a mobil RV repairman who basically admitted he wasn't knowledgeable with heat pumps.  I appreciate his honesty and saving me the expense of a service call.  He did say he had talked with a Duo Therm tech who admitted that the problem was either a bad solenoid which was repairable, or a stuck faulty reverse valve.  If the solenoid was good, he advised to just bang repeatedly on the valve to possibly free-up the stuck valve.  If that did not solve the problem the only alternative is a replacement.

I would like to hear what experiences others have had with their Duo Therm heatpumps, and what are your thoughts about a defective reversing valve causing a complete replacement of the heat pump.

BobSchmeck

One more thing that I haven't seen.  I  carry 6 cans of R34 A. Why 6 cans? Thats the way Sam's Club sells them.  I  also hang a curtain behind the driver's seats. Dash air does a crappie job of cooling the whole coach. 

ATC Indicator Light
cbr046

I don't know if newer coaches are any different, but when this happened to me (random, infrequent flashes) it turned out to be a clogged primary fuel filter.  2003 Cummins ISC

The fix was easy but it took me a few thousand miles to figure out what was going on.  Eventually (after ignoring it for a few trips) I could turn on the ATC light on upgrades by how much throttle was applied.  On the last return trip the coach started losing power (fuel starvation) and upgrades became a serious hazard. 

- bob

Ivan K

I would agree with the tech talking about the valve. If it is really heating the air and not just blowing the same temp in and out. You could check if the solenoid gets power and if so, does the coil have continuity. Go from there. I can hear the valve click when turned on, before the compressor kicks in. Replacing a stuck valve is a relatively big process and you would have to source one from a trashed unit. I fix my ACs just because that's what I do but most people just replace them. Paying someone to replace the valve would hardly be economical. 

ATC Indicator Light
Ivan K

Yep, misfires would do it. If your ABS stays happy while ATC is not, I would do as Bob says.

Gary Cole

Might first check the ambient air sensor. If it is out of range or indicates open  with a multimeter the unit will default to heat. It is 2 wire thermocouple which plugs into the control board and snakes up past the evaporator. Not to be confused with the evaporator temp sensor. Don't recall at the moment what the ohm values should be vs temp. I took the values from my working unit some time ago when I had a similar failure.

rwilliamsr42

Thanks for the suggestion Gary.  I down loaded an older Duo Therm shop manual/installation and trouble guide and I have been looking through the problem list and their solutions.  Not really enjoyable reading, but there are a few good tips in it.

Hill climbing
96 EVO
3 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

The reason I mentioned the turbo boost pressure is to show that higher RPM's doesn't necessarily equate to higher fuel consumption. 

ATC Indicator Light
Frank McElroy

When the ATC light comes on, the first thing you should do is to change the fuel filters.

The engine and transmission computers talk to each other.  When the engine is not producing the targeted amount of power based on throttle position and load, the transmission will turn off the ATC system and the ATC light will come in.  In most cases, changing fuel filters will fix the problem.

Hill climbing
Chuck B

Keep in mind that Allison considers their transmission in a motor home as LIGHT duty usage.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

wayne.cerven@gmail.com
2 hours ago, John Haggard said:

Sorry

I have never needed to change any out.

I would call josams, Orlando Florida and see what they say. 

They Change out many airbags on Monaco coaches 

Thanks

Wayne 

Just now, wayne.cerven@gmail.com said:

Thanks

Wayne 

John, I called Josams in Florida, spoke to the service department, very helpful,  I would definitely recommend them, was just curious if a person wanted to change out all the air bags they would need at least a month's notice, another problem he said would be getting parts ,parts now are very difficult to come by. Firestone still does make Airsprings ,Airsprings is the tech term we should be using, Firestone part # 9376 for 99 /00 Signature 

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

Gary Cole

Robert I should have said thermistor rather than thermocouple. You are looking at resistance not current. 

John Haggard
32 minutes ago, wayne.cerven@gmail.com said:

Thanks

Wayne 

John, I called Josams in Florida, spoke to the service department, very helpful,  I would definitely recommend them, was just curious if a person wanted to change out all the air bags they would need at least a month's notice, another problem he said would be getting parts ,parts now are very difficult to come by. Firestone still does make Airsprings ,Airsprings is the tech term we should be using, Firestone part # 9376 for 99 /00 Signature 

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

Thanks for the update 😀 Wayne 

ATC Indicator Light
Gary 05 AMB DST

Robert and Aimee, Doesn't the ATC light refer to automatic traction control? Did you accidently turn on the ATC on the console switch? Do you have the owner's manual?

Gary 05 AMB DST

ATC Indicator Light
Nevada Rob

I changed both fuel filters when I first picked up the coach. This Dynasty sat in one spot for at least 1 1/2 years, maybe two. It had a half tank of fuel when I picked it up. Since the fuel filter change I have run about 150 gallons through it. I did add fuel treatment for water and fuel mold grow. Maybe a clinker worked itself down the line. Now that the fuel filter has been mentioned, I think it comes when under load as in going up hill???🤨

ATC Indicator Light
cbr046
4 minutes ago, Gary 05 AMB DST said:

Robert and Aimee, Doesn't the ATC light refer to automatic traction control? Did you accidently turn on the ATC on the console switch? Do you have the owner's manual?

Gary 05 AMB DST

No accident and yes, the owners manual talks about how ATC works and nothing about fuel starvation.  Owner's manual isn't very helpful in this case, maybe even misleading. 

3 minutes ago, Nevada Rob said:

I think it comes when under load as in going up hill???🤨

EXACTLY!  and it will get worse (trust me on that one).  Mine started toward the end of a 625 mile trip and didn't think much about it.  On the return leg (another 625 miles) the transmission would downshift with cruise control on and a little more ATC light on upgrades, but still intermittent.  Next trip, a short 400 mile trip (both ways) I didn't notice it much, probably because the DW was with me.  The final trip, 430 miles one way, it was noticeable with power still seemingly available, but on the way home (430 miles) it kept getting worse and worse and I was lucky to maintain 45 mph on the slightest upgrades.  The more throttle the worse it got.  I was using the boost gauge to determine how much throttle it could handle, and 10 lbs of boost was all she would do.  Momentum was my friend. 

Go out and give it full boost and see what happens.

Best,

- bob

Ivan K

Different approach but power to solenoid is the easiest check since I don't even have to unscrew the metal cover. If there is power to coil, don't have to even go there.

moxy1962
4 hours ago, wayne.cerven@gmail.com said:

Thanks

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

I can pull my spare out and send pic of manufactures info if you need it 

Integrated Seatbelts on my 2009 Camelot 42 PDQ
emonaghan

Hello Fellow Monaconians. 

Recently my dog freaked out during a thunderstorm and chewed through my integrated seat belt on the driver's side captain chair. I have a 2009 Camelot 42 PDQ. Has anyone ever had to replace the belt? If so, how did you access it? I would appreciate any information you could through my way. 🙂 Thank you in advance.

Gary Cole

I think you are right Ivan. The normal position of the 4 way valve is heat mode. I would imagine that would be the case on most all heat pumps.

wayne.cerven@gmail.com

All good Bill, firestone 9376, have one on order,hard to come by

Thanks for the offer.

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

moxy1962
5 minutes ago, wayne.cerven@gmail.com said:

All good Bill, firestone 9376, have one on order,hard to come by

Thanks for the offer.

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

I paid just over 600 Canadian for 2 

vito.a

Yes, the older Dometic heat pumps default to heat mode when the coil fails.  However, the new units now default to cool mode.  

Our heat pump started blowing hot air.  I tried using a rare earth magnet on the valve where the coil attaches but could not get it to reverse.  I ordered a replacement coil and it only took 15 min to install (just two spliced wires).  It now works great.  The replacement coil is about $50.  

ATC Indicator Light
Nevada Rob
2 hours ago, Gary 05 AMB DST said:

Gary 05 AMB DST

Gary I did not turn on the ATC at that time. I play with it later and the light on the dash with ATC activated is a steady light. What I am talking about is a series of 10 flashes that are very quick or blinking. The owners manual does talk about the ATC switch and how to use it. Trouble shooting problems based on info in the owners manual is another matter. This forum has more great info in one day that the owners manual have.

Ivan K
11 minutes ago, vito.a said:

Yes, the older Dometic heat pumps default to heat mode when the coil fails.  However, the new units now default to cool mode.  

I never understood why heat was the default function since it is an add-on option and with my logic, cooling is the main reason for having the unit. Same with residential systems. There is always an alternate source of heat but not an alternative for cooling. Glad to read that they changed it.

VGT actuator; Diagnostic Code 2636
Bobbyboy

Had a Cummin's tech look at it and after several different tests (resistance, etc) we concluded that actuator was shot.  Took it off and sure enough correct diagnosis.  Cummins has a new one coming in tomorrow.  The turbo looked fine;  the lever moved freely with no problem.  After we put it on and calibrate will post the final $$$.  I did have a mobile tech come out to my bus barn who really knows what he is doing.  

Bob L, 08 dynasty

09 HR Navigator
jcavataio5255
7 hours ago, Donnie said:

John, I looked at everything I can think of and no luck. The fuse is good, the lights on the switch come on when toggled. The switch doesn’t control power going to the valve. My system has 2 blue wires going to one of the red wires on the red hat, that seem strange to me. The valve does click or make sign of trying to activate.

thanks 

Don

Don,

Did you check the switch to see if it is grounded?

image.jpg

ATC Indicator Light
Dr4Film

This exact same scenario happened to me after taking on a bad tank of fuel in the Yukon unbeknownst to me. After Googling the symptoms once we got back into the states I found another Monaco owner that had the same exact symptoms. That night I did the Googling after our generator and Aqua-Hot quit also. The next morning we drove directly to the nearest truck repair shop and had them change out ALL diesel fuel filters and the rest is history. Everything worked great after that. I am now extremely careful about where I purchase fuel and I always use a combination of Diesel Kleen & Biobor JF maintenance dose to my tank before it sits for any length of time. While traveling I will use it about every other tank or so.

Haven't had any more ATC blinking lights on my dash ever again.

Onthego

If the list get any longer he going to need to have a truck and a trailer Follow him. 

wayne.cerven@gmail.com

Love it! All you can do is laugh! 

Someone wrote before "when you own a coach you do not need any other hobbies"

Thanks for the great laugh, much needed

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

John Haggard
17 minutes ago, wayne.cerven@gmail.com said:

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

Be easier, and cheaper to fly 

After reading this Thread 

96 EVO
37 minutes ago, wayne.cerven@gmail.com said:

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

Should add " or can afford, any other hobbies" 😨!

Ray Davis

Dometic is a Swedish company,  those Swedes may have little different idea whether heat or cool should be the default.  🥵🥶

Should I go to Elkhart
pwhittle

What at the preferred RV Surplus locations in Elkhart?

I would like to find a matching ottoman for our 2005 Signature.

Paul

Ivan K
1 hour ago, Ray Davis said:

Dometic is a Swedish company,  those Swedes may have little different idea whether heat or cool should be the default.  🥵🥶

Haha, they might have changed their mind with the heat waves in recent years, good point Ray. I have family there and apparently they have seen the 90's there.

VGT actuator; Diagnostic Code 2636
Corkman

I had one diagnosed to be bad, and replaced in Salt Lake City by Cummins. They didn't connect the fuel lines properly and it slowly came undone over the next week and I had fuel spray all over the place, on the engine, on the tow, a little in the inside rear of RV, etc.

Cummins said it was not their fault and refused to cover the damage, repair, and tow.

Bad Cummins

jacwjames

Back in 2012 (man time flies) we were in N Michigan and my wife was getting ready to go south with the RV and I was getting ready to travel (either to Bolivia or Spain).  The front AC started to blow hot air so I immediately thought reversing valve.  Not knowing what to expect I went on the roof and removed the shroud and found that the wires going to the reversing valve and come in contact with the hot copper tubing for the pump and melted the insulation, shorting out the reversing valve. 

I fixed the shorted wires and resecured all of them and that fixed the problem.  Surprised it didn't blow a fuse but either way it was a cheap fix. 

Duo Therm Penguin Squirrel Cage Squealing Noise
burghere66

Fired up the coach this afternoon in preparation for a trip in two weeks.   Everything looked and sounded great until I turned on the 19yr old Duo Therm Penguins on the roof.  The front 13,500 unit circulation fan immediately began squealing.   As soon as the rain clears in the next day or so I'm going to pull of the cover to see whats come loose.  Does anyone know if parts are still available for these old units?  I may need a new motor or fan.  I'd also like an exploded view and listing of parts available.

Gary B. 

2002 Windsor PBDD

ATC Indicator Light
cbr046

Mine happened at the height of the Colonial Pipeline ransom outage where locating fuel in the Eastern US was darn near impossible.  I ended up filling the tank at my local Ingles supermarket before the trip, which had been around 1/4 tank for 3 weeks.  Just the fact they had diesel might indicate they didn't get much activity.  Between the Ingles and letting my tank sit near empty I'm thinking I picked up some growth.  My other fuel stop was at a TA Truck stop on the way up.  The engine was acting up and it was late night so I didn't want to stop on the way home.  Fuel mileage was phenomenal (10.6 mpg)!  When I got back the fuel in the filter was pretty dark with contaminants floating around in it.  I still haven't changed the secondary filter (but I carry a spare). 

Years ago I witnessed a friend that filled up at a no-brand truck stop, basically a run down station on the interstate.  He spent half a day trying to get it started, including spraying ether in the intake.  He pumped a bunch of water out.  I vowed then to always get fuel at a high volume branded station . . . . and that was years before I bought my first diesel powered vehicle.  Some lessons stick with you.  The best lessons are witnessed, not experienced. 

- bob

Repairing a Generator Slide
Keamyinc

This spring when I took my 2002 Monaco Windsor out of storage the generator slide would not extend despite being able to hear the electric motor and hydraulic pump running but sounding strange compared to normal operations. Bleeding lines and tapping on the valve block assembly changed nothing. We then removed the electric motor hydraulic pump unit and took it to a hydraulic repair shop where they confirmed that both sides of the hydraulic pump were putting out the required 500 psi pressure. We then disconnected the remaining hydraulic lines from the aluminum hydraulic block assembly, removed the side fittings then removed the hydraulic block assembly from the end of the ram. The fittings on the side of the aluminum hydraulic block must be removed with the block in place as there is not enough room for the aluminum block to make complete turns with the fitting in place as it won’t clear on the side of the generator. Note: Even though all hydraulic lines were disconnected from the aluminum hydraulic block assembly we were unable to move the generator slide with pry bars until the aluminum block valve housing  assembly was loosened enough to bleed trap pressure out of the ram. Only at this step were we able to fully extend the generator slide manually with pry bars. Again not an easy task with not many convenient spots to pry. Once we had the aluminum valve housing on the bench we blew the one and only valve assembly out of the aluminum housing. As previously mentioned in an earlier post, wrap the housing in a rag to catch the valve assembly or you may not find the two part valve assembly that will blow across your shop if not caught in a rag. Also note, when you manually pry the generator slide out, ATF fill shot up and out of the ram, estimated at 2-3 cup fulls of it will shot out all over the undercarriage and your floor or driveway so be prepared. Have lots of rags on hand.  We examined the valve parts, o-rings etc and could not find a problem. Took the housing and valve to the hydraulic shop.  The pros had never seen a unit like this before. Regardless they cleaned it up, put the valve back in with a little grease for installation. With the slide fully extended now we had lots of room to work on reinstalling all the components of this system. Once finished with the installation the oil reservoir was filled with a little over a quart (1.25 litre) of ATF Dextron III once all the air was bled out of the system. Upon activating the switch the slide began to move in both directions.  Note: the first time the reservoir is full run the motor for a minute or two then top up the reservoir again. After a half dozen complete in and out cycles of the slide all the air had automatically purged itself out of the system and the slide was rolling quite smooth and the hydraulic pump was sounding normal once again.Then recheck the oil level.

Conclusion: Must have been some debris in the valve assembly in the aluminum block.

Cost: 2 quartz of ATF.

Reward: My slide working again and the knowledge above to share with everyone else should they run into a generator slide not moving with the motor and pump still working.

Thanks

Keamyinc 

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.