Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/477-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Repairing a Generator Slide
Keamyinc
VGT actuator; Diagnostic Code 2636
Frank McElroy
Hill climbing
Dr4Film
jacwjames
Hill climbing
Ivylog
Chuck B
Driving a motor home
Chuck B
Driving a motor home
Ivylog
Diplomat Duo Therm Heat pump problem
rwilliamsr42
Driving a motor home
cbr046
Driving a motor home
John Haggard
jacwjames
Driving a motor home
emonaghan
Driving a motor home
RVKnight
Driving a motor home
Ron Jones
Corkman
Keamyinc
Need some wiring help
jaybe2
Driving a motor home
Harvey Babb
Need some wiring help
just_john1
Driving a motor home
Gary Cole
Need some wiring help
Romeo84
Recalls
Chuck B
Should I go to Elkhart
fredelkamp
Paint Code
Luther Taylor
Need some wiring help
jaybe2
Paint Code
Chuck B
Paint Code
Ivan K
Should I go to Elkhart
Donflem

Keamyinc

This spring when I took my 2002 Monaco Windsor out of storage the generator slide would not extend despite being able to hear the electric motor and hydraulic pump running but sounding strange compared to normal operations. Bleeding lines and tapping on the valve block assembly changed nothing. We then removed the electric motor hydraulic pump unit and took it to a hydraulic repair shop where they confirmed that both sides of the hydraulic pump were putting out the required 500 psi pressure. We then disconnected the remaining hydraulic lines from the aluminum hydraulic block assembly, removed the side fittings then removed the hydraulic block assembly from the end of the ram. The fittings on the side of the aluminum hydraulic block must be removed with the block in place as there is not enough room for the aluminum block to make complete turns with the fitting in place as it won’t clear on the side of the generator. Note: Even though all hydraulic lines were disconnected from the aluminum hydraulic block assembly we were unable to move the generator slide with pry bars until the aluminum block valve housing  assembly was loosened enough to bleed trap pressure out of the ram. Only at this step were we able to fully extend the generator slide manually with pry bars. Again not an easy task with not many convenient spots to pry. Once we had the aluminum valve housing on the bench we blew the one and only valve assembly out of the aluminum housing. As previously mentioned in an earlier post, wrap the housing in a rag to catch the valve assembly or you may not find the two part valve assembly that will blow across your shop if not caught in a rag. Also note, when you manually pry the generator slide out, ATF fill shot up and out of the ram, estimated at 2-3 cup fulls of it will shot out all over the undercarriage and your floor or driveway so be prepared. Have lots of rags on hand.  We examined the valve parts, o-rings etc and could not find a problem. Took the housing and valve to the hydraulic shop.  The pros had never seen a unit like this before. Regardless they cleaned it up, put the valve back in with a little grease for installation. With the slide fully extended now we had lots of room to work on reinstalling all the components of this system. Once finished with the installation the oil reservoir was filled with a little over a quart (1.25 litre) of ATF Dextron III once all the air was bled out of the system. Upon activating the switch the slide began to move in both directions.  Note: the first time the reservoir is full run the motor for a minute or two then top up the reservoir again. After a half dozen complete in and out cycles of the slide all the air had automatically purged itself out of the system and the slide was rolling quite smooth and the hydraulic pump was sounding normal once again.Then recheck the oil level.

Conclusion: Must have been some debris in the valve assembly in the aluminum block.

Cost: 2 quartz of ATF.

Reward: My slide working again and the knowledge above to share with everyone else should they run into a generator slide not moving with the motor and pump still working.

Thanks

Keamyinc 

Frank McElroy

I'm curious why replacing a turbo actuator would cause a fuel leak.  We're you having other fuel related repairs done at the same time?

Electronic turbo actuators like on Bob's coach with an ISL engine are connected to oil and coolant.  Fuel connections are on the other side of the engine.

Taking a long trip, what parts to bring along
kb0mpi

If you have HWH slide outs order a solenoid valve from them.  A bad solenoid allows the slide to creep in, or out stranding you until this part arrives.  They are  proprietary and only available from HWH in Moscow Iowa.  

Hill climbing
Dr4Film
21 hours ago, FishAR said:

This is something that confuses me. Doesn't the Allison take care of that?

I know the Monaco weighs a lot more, also mine has a lot larger engine, so maybe not apples to apples but it would seem the Allison would be designed to keep it in the acceptable rpm range.

If traveling on flat terrain the Allison will shift at approximate speed points not necessarily rpm's. After climbing and descending hundreds of grades I have learned important speed and rpm points on MY Allison and ISC-350 combination.

When climbing a steep grade the rpms's and your speed will degrade quickly. If you don't keep the rpm's in the 2000 range you are lugging the engine with not enough power. My Allison is always late to the party and such will drop to 1500 quickly whereas the speed may still be within the range that the Allison still likes therefore will not downshift to raise the rpm's for more power. I manually downshift once I see the rpm's starting to drop below 1800 with a lot more grade ahead.

jacwjames

I have had this problem intermittently since I've owned the coach.  I have taken the cylinder out and completely cleaned trying to get rid of all contamination.  I have had to remove the valve block multiple times to get the lock valve free and  I even purchased a new lock valve.  

What I have found is that when I put the slide in if I continue to hold the button in it seems to purges hydraulic fluid through the valve and it reduces the chance of it sticking.

I also found that if the slide does get stuck, I can take the 2 nuts off the cylinder ram and move the slide manually and for some reason when I put it back the slide works, no idea why but this is the last thing I do before diving into the valve block itself. 

So don't get too excited yet as I predict the problem will come back eventually. 

Duo Therm Penguin Squirrel Cage Squealing Noise
jacwjames

You should be able to get parts, I use this site to find part numbers and then do a general search for availability and price. https://www.edometic.com/allusr/sp.nsf/spcac?ReadForm

Back about 5 years ago my front AC started to pull higher amps and occasionally kick the breaker.  It was also louder.  So I pulled the shroud and found that I could barely rotate the motor, the bearings were almost locked up and no way to lubricate.  So I ordered a new motor and installed.  What I found also was that the rubber mounting isolators for the motor were wore out letting the squirrel cage motor hit the metal.  New rubber isolators came with the motor kit.  While it was apart I cleaned everything good and washed fan blade, it had a good amount of built up dirt.  Put everything back together and its still working. 

Hill climbing
Ivylog

A Dynasty with a ISL-3000 Alison has a 4.78 axle ratio while the rigs with a 4000 Alison have a 4.33 ratio. When climbing with a ISL I’d keep the rpm above 1800 and now with a ISX it’s 1650 which equals 65mph in 6th on the flat.

Agree a fuel leak ^^^ after working on the turbo doesn’t add up…not sure the two were related. If I’d worked on your turbo I wouldn’t pay for a fuel leak.

Chuck B

WOW!!!  What does one expect from a 19 year old air conditioner?  Use your search engine google, I use duck duck go, to find any parts you might need.  I trust you included your roof airs in your annual preventive maintenance program.  Be sure to list your year and model air unit.  I would opt for a new unit instead of throwing money into a old unit that will continue to fail down the road.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Ivylog

OP, your motor mounts are probably shot letting the squirrel cage hit BUT it’s not on the circumference, it’s on the side as there’s plenty of clearance on the circumference.

Was able to shim the motor mount up enough to free up for probably 5 years but started dragging again. That’s when I figured out it was hitting between the side of the squirrel cage and the sheet metal housing. Moving the squirrel cage further from the motor solved the problem even with shot rubber motor mounts on a 04 Dynasty.

To many of the new and improved units make it just past their warranty when they stop working. 
You can also oil the bearings by drilling a small hole into the area where the bearings are mounted. Easier to do when you have the squirrel cage loose (off of) the shaft.

jacwjames

I guess when my motor failed ~5 years ago I could have opted to replace the whole unit but the motor only cost me $125 at the time.  Seems like a decent ROI considering what a new unit costs. 

I have read reports of newer units not lasting that long and limited inventory, so it seems like a crap shoot. 

Chuck B

The manufacturer made a mistake in using white Teflon tape on the fittings during the assembly.   Small particles of the tape ended up contaminating the fluid.

Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Ivylog

I had had a older one go to heat only… coil was good but the 120V relay was bad. Jumped 120V to the coil and used the breaker inside to turn it on/off until I could replace the relay on the board.

Driving a motor home
Chuck B

This morning on NBC, the today show had a segment on driving large bus type motor homes.  They used a professional trained driver in the segment.  He recommends that a new owners receive driver training before hitting the road.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Driving a motor home
Ivylog

Guess I’m 20 years too late on that biased advice.

rwilliamsr42

Thanks for the tip.  I hope to continue with my diagnostic odyssey next week.  Currently in Northern Michigan  the temp is 51 so go heat pump.

Driving a motor home
cbr046

Don't start with a big bus

- b

Driving a motor home
John Haggard
12 minutes ago, Chuck B said:

This morning on NBC, the today show had a segment on driving large bus type motor homes.  They used a professional trained driver in the segment.  He recommends that a new owners receive driver training before hitting the road.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Always those that have only driven cars and never even serviced a vehicle 🙄

Deciding to buy an rv.

Even a pull type or fith wheel. 

There is a very big driving,  learning  curve.

How many come on these forums and are shocked that they need to change the fuel filters often 🤔 or at all.

They are shocked at a $1,250 full service bill or more.

So allot of this goes back to the time spent with a committed qualified sales team.

Many on here are CDL holder's 

Or farmed or worked construction. 

Yes,  some form of training needs to be recommended 👌

Not necessarily legislated. 

jacwjames

I'm in Northern Michigan also, ~43F this morning near Ironwood. 

Good Luck

Driving a motor home
emonaghan

When I bought my motorhome, the salesman flipped me the keys and walked away. No one asked me if I even had any experience driving something that big. Thankfully, I had driven a school bus when I was younger. There were a few things I had to learn, which I did by reading the manual and asking questions. So far, it's been okay, the worst thing I've done so far is hit a few tree branches, oh yeah, and a stop sign. 😄 

Driving a motor home
RVKnight

By going through the training I would have denied many a body shop work.  

Integrated Seatbelts on my 2009 Camelot 42 PDQ
Byron J

I have done business with and highly recommend https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/   If you can remove your seatbelt and send it in, they can restore it to perfection.

Driving a motor home
Ron Jones

I will state that when my wife and I took driving instruction, it was well worth the effort and cost. I was so impressed that I wrote an article about it. Go to my website (It won't let me post the link here) and also know there are several more driving-related articles on my site. We both attended the two-day Driving School and have sat in on the driving instruction offered at Lazydays in Tampa at least two or three times. You don't know what you don't know!!!

Go to my website (aboutrving.com) and search for "Driving an RV" (or just "Driving"). You should be able to see the list of driving articles.

Corkman

My issue was the fuel accumulator (sorry about that, I got the term mixed up). When they disconnected the fuel lines to it they loosened the one below it when they tighten the one above it. So they tell me we didn’t do anything to that fuel line we only touched the one above it. That’s why they said it wasn’t their fault. In reality what happened was as the tech turned the open ended wrench on the fuel line going in to the actuator the wrench contacted the nut on the line below it. As he rotated the nut to tighten the top fuel line the wrench contacted the bottom nut and rotated it in the opposite direction, which loosened it. The tech did not notice this and that’s what resulted in the fuel leak problem

emonaghan

The trouble is getting it out of the seat. The seat belt repair is the easy part. 😀

Keamyinc
2 hours ago, jacwjames said:

I have had this problem intermittently since I've owned the coach.  I have taken the cylinder out and completely cleaned trying to get rid of all contamination.  I have had to remove the valve block multiple times to get the lock valve free and  I even purchased a new lock valve.  

What I have found is that when I put the slide in if I continue to hold the button in it seems to purges hydraulic fluid through the valve and it reduces the chance of it sticking.

I also found that if the slide does get stuck, I can take the 2 nuts off the cylinder ram and move the slide manually and for some reason when I put it back the slide works, no idea why but this is the last thing I do before diving into the valve block itself. 

So don't get too excited yet as I predict the problem will come back eventually. 

Need some wiring help
jaybe2

Hello I have a 1999 Monaco signature that I recently purchased. The previous owner had started to do some updating and lost interest. He removed the passenger control panther has the blower controls and  switches for porch light , step and other things. He did not mark anything. I have figured out a lot of them but need a little help with some others. There are 3 bundles  coming up through the floor. The one I need help with is the rear most bundle  he basically cut them off at the floor. I think they may have something to do it the out side touch pad that he removed. Any help would be very much appreciated 

Thank you

16257598752401583384876733719203.jpg

Driving a motor home
Harvey Babb

I grew up on a farm driving darn near everything imaginable, including machinery 30 feet wide and towing 50 foot long trailers. I worked for Eagle International driving busses on roads and test tracks, sometimes monitoring instruments simultaneously. I consider doing a 180 degree slide on a skid pad in an Eagle bus loaded to capacity with bags of cement to be the high point of my driving experience!

I can safely say my background isn't typical.

Even with all of that I have made my share of screw ups in my own coach, including cutting a corner too close and ripping the sidewall out of a tire, and a number of dings and scrapes from misjudging my position or clearance.  I would definitely recommend getting some help making the transition from a car to a coach. I don't think professional training is necessary, but a friendly experienced ride along while learning would be an immense advantage, as would moving up in stages instead of going from compact car to 40 foot coach.

Need some wiring help
just_john1

Do you have a wiring diagram from Monaco. I have a complete set for my 97 Dynasty and Monaco was very good at labling the wires and there connections. My manuals are loaded in the file section, give that a try. Good luck.

Driving a motor home
Gary Cole

The people at NBC once admitted that they didn't know anyone who owns a pickup truck.😉

Need some wiring help
Romeo84

I have a 200 signature. Going to see it in the next couple days. I'll remove that panel and snap a pic of everything. I had it off once b4 chasing a short. Super easy. 

But like who just cuts wires like that!!!! Would of loved to see his remodel job. 

WeBoost Drive 4G-X OTR Signal Booster
JDCrow

Good morn!

I have previously installed a more “stationary” WeBoost in my 5th wheel with good success. But it has a directional antenna and bigger components.

Anyone use the above OTR system?

thanks

Ray Davis

My guess is the seat will need to be unbolted and the seat cover may need to be removed at least far enough to access the belt assembly.

Paul A.
2 hours ago, emonaghan said:

The trouble is getting it out of the seat. The seat belt repair is the easy part. 😀

I would TALK to truck seat repair folks and reapholsterers . Truck stop truck repair folks may also be of help.

Taking a long trip, what parts to bring along
JDCrow
7 hours ago, kb0mpi said:

If you have HWH slide outs order a solenoid valve from them.  A bad solenoid allows the slide to creep in, or out stranding you until this part arrives.  They are  proprietary and only available from HWH in Moscow Iowa.  

I’ll have to dig in the manual to see what slides I have. Thanks for the tip 

7 hours ago, kb0mpi said:

I’ll have to dig in the manual to see what slides I have. Thanks for the tip 

Recalls
Chuck B

General Motors is recalling certain Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra heavy-duty pickups because an electrical short circuit can occur in the engine-block heater cable or cords, increasing the risk of a fire, according to a report by Automotive News.

The affected vehicles — totaling 331,274 in the U.S. — are the 2017-19 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 and 3500 and the 2017-19 GMC Sierra 2500 and 3500 equipped with a Duramax diesel 6.6-liter engine and an optional engine-block heater cord.

Some of the vehicles were included in an earlier recall from 2019 because of the short-circuit condition and potential fire risk.

GM said it received 122 related complaints and 24 reports of potential fires between Dec. 3, 2019, and May 28, 2021, involving vehicles that received the 2019 recall remedy, according to a NHTSA document.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

cbr046

The WeBoost power supply is 6V DC, which means you'll need to have a 12V-6V converter or have 120 AC on the road.  Just sayin.

My issue is getting there and having decent signal until 900 others show up.  At that point it becomes unusable.  I'm counting on having a "stronger signal" to cut through the noise.  If that won't work let me know now. 

I'll be getting something in the next few weeks but my pockets aren't that deep for that brand.  Plus I only need one carrier (Verizon) so multi-band isn't an issue (unless I switch to another carrier ~or~ need to let others use the signal).  My primary use will be parked in remote areas so I'm inclined to go with the directional antenna and deal with pointing it.  There's an app for that (Open Signal).

I was thinking of using the TV mast for 1.) raising and 2.) pointing.  Hopefully I won't need to watch OTA TV and use the computer at the same time. 

Hopefully we can talk about 2 systems in JDCrow's thread. 

Best,

- bob

JDCrow

Bob, your set up is like the one I have in my 5th wheel. I had the same issues. I could get emails and limited surfing as soon as everyone went to bed so 11 pm till 4 am. Then the users were just too many and got nothing. 

That weboost worked, just enough to get emails and slow surfing anytime of day. 

Ivan K

Do you know who manufactured the seats? If Villa International, they would help you out.

Ivan K

If you get 900 users registered to the same single tower, get ready to wait a lot no matter how strong signal your booster can get you. Your signal strength has to be over a set threshold for the tower to accept your registration and that's where the booster helps but you will share the bandwidth with everyone else who qualifies, no matter whether your signal is stronger than theirs or not, as long as everyone is above the threshold. I used to support Verizon and other NA networks and there was a privclass setting per user but at that time it was only used for emergency services so they would have priority. Now, you may have more than a single site in reach. Typically your equipment/phone talks to multiple towers so directional antenna is not necessarily an advantage when in urban area. But you might try to point it to a more distant site that might have less users. Imagine supporting service for football game stadiums, it used to be a nightmare with overloads.

burghere66

Thanks everyone for the replies and ideas.  I hope to get out to the storage area tomorrow if it's not raining.  I have not been able to find a replacement motor, they are on back order on the sites I found.  I hope to learn more when i get the cover off.  

Gary B.

2002 Monaco Windsor PBDD

cbr046

Thanks for the insight IvanK.  And I was worried about competing with 900 users, not 50,000! 

It looks like boosters (actually the carriers fault) aren't much good for uploading - very slow - but might be the best first step.  If it works well enough end of story.  I'll be working in rural environments uploading data (race scores).  It's not like video so BW shouldn't be too high.  I don't think signals will be good / reliable enough for a MIMO router with external antennas.  It's very site dependent and ~ dozen different sites through the year.  The last time it worked great until everybody jammed the tower.

I like the secondary tower idea.  👍

The more I research the faster my head spins (and emptier my wallet gets). 

- bob

Should I go to Elkhart
fredelkamp

I just left the area, spent the night at JC Refrigeration's parking lot in Shipshewana to upgrade our 4-door 1200-series Norcold to a 12 volt residential fridge with a 6am appointment I had made back in April. While there I took a long shot and looked up the local Dometic dealer, found National RV Refrigeration, 3 miles away. Gave them a call and they said they could squeeze us in at 1pm the next day to install a new Penguin II High Capacity unit W/ Heat Pump replace my non-working Penguin unit W/ Heat Pump. The old Penguin had decided it would only work in Heat Pump mode and then just gave up the ghost. With temps in the plus 90s the last few weeks I was willing to replace both ACs and the controller, as one AC was not cutting it.

JC Refrigeration had us done by 8:30 so I headed to National RV Refrigeration, hoping I could get in a little early as I had a campground reservation two hours away. I was amazed to find an AC tech that decided to trouble shoot the problem instead of just replacing the unit(s). After four hours in light rain the AC was working great and the bill was under $100, I wrote them a check for a bit more more knowing I had just saved a bunch of money. I know Shipshewana will be in my travels in the future, maybe I'll even get to visit the RV museum in Elkhart.

Paint Code
Luther Taylor

Had some fiberglass damage which has been repaired and now looking for paint codes for my Diplomat 2002. I looked on the driver seat pedestal the sticker is there but no paint codes. The paint on the bottom of coach is what I need to match. Any help would be appreciated  

F37CD31A-A840-46D5-9CB2-0619E9446645.thumb.png.81c8383d0fc173a8e1ca834a9b84defa.png

Need some wiring help
jaybe2

I think he realized he was way over his head. Fortunately all he did was take the upper cabinets around the TV and ripped up the carpet and the passengers control panel. 

Paint Code
Chuck B

Trying to match the color with the original paint code might not give you a exact match due sun fading.  Any good paint dealer that is worth it's salt should be able to give you a exact match.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Paint Code
Ivan K

I called Veurinks for an unrelated part and a nice lady offered the codes to me without asking. I already had them but it was nice of them. You can try, they seem to have a lot of info per VIN. All 4 colors matched perfectly when mixed with BASF paints per codes. I used a good PPG clear over it and that was disappointing as it got a very slightly yellowish after couple of years but only I can tell it seems.

Should I go to Elkhart
Donflem

Thanks guys for all the info I just got here this evening with all your advice. I decided to drive out see the museum tomorrow and go from there. I’m going to try and get a few things done and off to  Mount Rushmore. I was thinking of maybe even calling a local RV tech to come out and do a few things for me. Do you guys have any suggestions or recommendations on somebody to call to come to me?  Thanks in advance.

Don

Update working!! 2009 Dynasty Aquahot not turning on
ken.knutson100

Update: I let it cool down and tried it again and it’s working! So must have been hot enough that it didn’t need to heat up anymore??

I just replaced the nozzle because it wasn’t firing. It would run but not fire. After I replaced the nozzle it fired up no problem. I then decided to replace the filter. I used vice grips to cut off the flow on both sides then took off the old filter and filled the new filter with fuel and replaced it. I took off the vice grips from the fuel lines and then pushed the button in the coach to start it and nothing. The button lights up, the lights on the front of the aquahot board that are lit are fuel burner status and low temp cut off. I checked the fuse and of course it’s good or it wouldn’t light up. I know it has to be something simple I’m missing? Could it be that it really is hot and it doesn’t need to turn on? I tried turning the furnace on zone one to 84 degrees (it’s 72 inside) and the furnace blower came on but not the Aquahot. What am I missing? And I have 3/4 tank of fuel 

Timaz996

When you changed the filter did you fill it with fuel? You may have air in the system.

ken.knutson100
11 minutes ago, Timaz996 said:

When you changed the filter did you fill it with fuel? You may have air in the system.

Yup 

Just now, ken.knutson100 said:

Yup 

So now I just tried it again after it cooled down outside and it’s working. I don’t get it unless it was already hot and up to temp. At least it’s working!! 😀

vito.a

How long did it run after you replaced the nozzle?  It takes 15-25 min to heat up the reservoir.  And it will hold heat for quite a long time unless you are using heat or hot water.  

I had an intermittent issue last year and it turned out to be the ignitor.  

Paint Code
just_john1

When I need to do some touch up on my rig, I'm going to use NAPA Auto. They can match the color and put it in a rattle can.

Tom Wallis

It is my understanding that most signal boosters are not MIMO. That means they may get you otherwise unavailable signal for phone, text, email and some slow browsing but they're not so good for data that requires more bandwidth. I have a WeBoost with an omnidirectional antenna on my TV antenna mast but I only use it if my phone or my hotspot can't get a signal on their own. A little weaker signal without the booster usually gives me better speeds than through the booster. Plus my phone has 5G now and my booster doesn't. Basically, I turn on the booster only when nothing else is available.

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.