Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/478-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Hill climbing
dandick66
Should I go to Elkhart
Chet P
Hill climbing
John Haggard
Hill climbing
Ray Davis
Hill climbing
John Haggard
Hill climbing
Chuck B
Driving a motor home
6Wheels
Hill climbing
Dr4Film
Driving a motor home
John Haggard
Paint Code
Nevada Rob
Driving a motor home
cbr046
Hill climbing
Ray Davis
Paint Code
Luther Taylor
Hill climbing
Ray Davis
Micro-air Thermostat
FishAR
Should I go to Elkhart
The Hales
Hill climbing
96 EVO
Hill climbing
Rick A
Hill climbing
John Haggard
Micro-air Thermostat
wamcneil
Hill climbing
Rick A
Micro-air Thermostat
Converterjoe
Fuel Filters
philcarrell
Fuel Filters
Hypoxia
Hill climbing
Ivylog
Fuel Filters
Timaz996
Fuel Filters
tmw188
Fuel Filters
philcarrell
Fuel Filters
cbr046
Hill climbing
Gary Cole
Repairing a Generator Slide
tmw188
CCC thermostat
Pepperell
Should I go to Elkhart
tmw188
CCC thermostat
Ivan K
Should I go to Elkhart
redstickbill
CCC thermostat
wamcneil

WeBoost Drive 4G-X OTR Signal Booster
cbr046
7 hours ago, Tom Wallis said:

It is my understanding that most signal boosters are not MIMO.

Correct.  Boosters are NOT MIMO.  Hotspots are MIMO but most don't have external antenna connectors, and they don't amplify a poor signal.  Same for cellular routers, although those usually have external antenna connectors.  Both hotspots and cellular routers require their own account plan, although it can usually be added to the main monthly account for not a large cost.  Many routers have dual sim capability for multiple carriers and can automatically flip to the other when one isn't working. 

That's what I've learned so far, and none of the answers are a total solution.  I'm torn between the three.  Many times the signal will barely be there, always I'll be competing for access when I need it most.  Did I mention I might need to make it portable?  LOL

- bob

Hill climbing
dandick66

I’ve been following this thread with interest.  I have a 2012 Diplomat with the Maxxforce 10.  The torque is rated at 1250 lbs/ft at 1300 RPM and 405 HP at 2000 RPM.  I’ve driven primarily on the east coast.  The biggest mountains/hills here are nothing like those out west.  The biggest one near me is Afton Mountain on 64 near Charlottesville, VA.  There are some decent mountains in Pennsylvania while going to NY.

Should I be driving for max HP or max torque?

Dan D

Should I go to Elkhart
Chet P

We always schedule a stop at Elkhart Sales & Service whenever we are going from AZ to PA to see family. Tom Bumpus is one of the best Monaco/HR techs around. We're on our way now to stop there next Monday morning for some body and paint work. We have stopped there 6 times in the last 10 years. Always very happy with their work.

Chet P

2004 Monaco SIG

Hill climbing
John Haggard
17 minutes ago, dandick66 said:

I’ve been following this thread with interest.  I have a 2012 Diplomat with the Maxxforce 10.  The torque is rated at 1250 lbs/ft at 1300 RPM and 405 HP at 2000 RPM.  I’ve driven primarily on the east coast.  The biggest mountains/hills here are nothing like those out west.  The biggest one near me is Afton Mountain on 64 near Charlottesville, VA.  There are some decent mountains in Pennsylvania while going to NY.

Dan D

Good question 🤔

Personally 

I climb mountains watching 

RPMs

Boost

Engine temperature 

Transmission Temperature 

We have never blown an engine on and RV or semi truck fleet.

In 50 plus year's. 

We train the drivers to keep the RPMs Higher the steeper the grade.

My 500 hp Cummins governor is set at 22 hundred rpm.

And only one mountain in Tennessee on 111  requires that in first gear with a trailer.

In Colorado 2,000 maybe 2,100 for a little bit.

But never shifted below 2nd climbing Monarch or Loveland pass. 

No trailer.

Just a 4 door jeep in tow. 

Hill climbing
Ray Davis

Sometimes when I leave it up to the auto transmission. it can't make up its mind.  It will shift down then back up and may do that repeatedly.

That can't be good for it and it runs me crazy.  So that's one reason I will down shift even though the coach will make it up the hill with out me down shifting.

Hill climbing
John Haggard
3 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

Sometimes when I leave it up to the auto transmission. it can't make up its mind.  It will shift down then back up and may do that repeatedly.

That can't be good for it and it runs me crazy.  So that's one reason I will down shift even though the coach will make it up the hill with out me down shifting.

Did you try efficiency mode 🤔

On gently rolling hills I like.. 

Hill climbing
Chuck B

"Sometimes when I leave it up to the auto transmission. it can't make up its mind.  It will shift down then back up and may do that repeatedly."------You are putting a lot of stress on the transmission by unlocking and then locking up the torque converter.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Driving a motor home
6Wheels

On our first coach (32 ft) I backed into my garage at an angle, down hill and made contact with a window frame.  We moved.  Builder was stupid to put it there.

I wounded a bollard once on the 40 footer backing into my spot at night with no one around.  Brand new coach, $3600

A year later, let the super-slide out and pushed over a telephone pole (minor damage).

Two years later as described previously ran over a steering knuckle and incurred another repair bill.

Thankfully no one was hurt, just my wallet.  These same lessons can be learned on a large boat just as easily - take your time and look at what you are doing.

Hill climbing
Dr4Film
1 hour ago, dandick66 said:

Dan, when climbing a grade use HP/RPM's. Remember, power is your friend not torque.

47 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

When my Allison starts hunting on rolling to moderate grades I always downshift to a gear that it will stay at. It's easier on the transmission.

Driving a motor home
John Haggard
5 minutes ago, 6Wheels said:

On our first coach (32 ft) I backed into my garage at an angle, down hill and made contact with a window frame.  We moved.  Builder was stupid to put it there.

I wounded a bollard once on the 40 footer backing into my spot at night with no one around.  Brand new coach, $3600

A year later, let the super-slide out and pushed over a telephone pole (minor damage).

Two years later as described previously ran over a steering knuckle and incurred another repair bill.

Thankfully no one was hurt, just my wallet.  These same lessons can be learned on a large boat just as easily - take your time and look at what you are doing.

Overall your doing well I would think.

Large boats?? I have been anchored out twice in the past 20 years when a tornado went through. 

80 plus mph winds right down the lake.

1,000 structures destroyed up the road in Berea Kentucky. 

School roof taken off in Monticello. 

Between the two stormes. 

$60,000 of damages,  so yes 😉🤔

Paint Code
Nevada Rob

I did some damage to one of my compartment doors. I was going to get the paint codes for the shop. They did not want them. As Chuck said in a previous reply, the body did an exact color match based on the current color condition. These guys were good. they matched the three different colors perfect and clear coated the doors on both sides of the damaged door. 

Driving a motor home
cbr046

My first time driving an RV I ran onto the shoulder at 50 mph within a mile of the dealership.  It was a state road, albeit a narrow one, with a steep (6 inches?) drop off from the pavement to the shoulder.  Mail boxes were approaching!  Rather than whip it back onto the road I rode it out until the RV stabilized then back onto the highway where the drop off wasn't so much of an edge.  It was all over in 5-10 sec.  No damage but a real eye-opener. 

I'm sure we've all been there with similar close calls. 

- bob

Hill climbing
Ray Davis
24 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

When my Allison starts hunting on rolling to moderate grades I always downshift to a gear that it will stay at. It's easier on the transmission.

That's what I was trying to say,  thanks for clearing it up.     LOL

Integrated Seatbelts on my 2009 Camelot 42 PDQ
miacasa_2000

Can't  say for certain on yours, but on mine after you unbolt the seat from the floor the seat belt spool is bolted at the bottom of the seat and easy access all the way up to the top where it comes out the top above your shoulder. I can only assume the wide open space is so nothing can interfere with it's operation. I do not know if you can just buy the belt and rewind the spool or if you have to install a whole new assembly it could be a cya from the manufacturer.  

Paint Code
Luther Taylor

Here is the latest try at matching paint, believe this will work. 
Thanks to all for responses. 
Cheers

CE396D24-811D-4792-BA31-3DED33506B0D.jpeg

C066EDBB-D335-4640-B347-DD60F7B27E86.jpeg

WeBoost Drive 4G-X OTR Signal Booster
Ivylog

I’m currently on a We Boost Drive Sleek (cheapest we boost) that only increases signal strength by 1 bar but increases speed 5-10 fold. Only one user and phone has to be in a cradle.

Hill climbing
Ray Davis
2 hours ago, John Haggard said:

Did you try efficiency mode 🤔

On gently rolling hills I like.. 

Yes,  I use mode most of the time on the open hiway.

Micro-air Thermostat
FishAR

I just saw this thermostat on the Monaco facebook forum. They really brag on it.

When I eventually get all the important stuff going I think I'll buy one of these. I have to keep a flashlight on the kitchen counter to use so I can see the readout on my 5 button thermostat since it's so dim.

Should I go to Elkhart
The Hales
3 hours ago, Chet P said:

We always schedule a stop at Elkhart Sales & Service whenever we are going from AZ to PA to see family. Tom Bumpus is one of the best Monaco/HR techs around. We're on our way now to stop there next Monday morning for some body and paint work. We have stopped there 6 times in the last 10 years. Always very happy with their work.

Chet P

2004 Monaco SIG

Hill climbing
96 EVO
2 hours ago, Chuck B said:

"Sometimes when I leave it up to the auto transmission. it can't make up its mind.  It will shift down then back up and may do that repeatedly."------You are putting a lot of stress on the transmission by unlocking and then locking up the torque converter.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Not to mention heat in the tranny fluid!

Hill climbing
Rick A

Any engine that’s “under reviving” under load is being stressed. Torque is, the load transmission feeding back into the engine and this stress should be answered with revs.  Under-reving is blowing fuel out the exhaust not to mention other damaged being caused. Revs are the response to the torque being applied to the engine.  
The way to deal with the torque which is “power demanded by the load” is revs. If the revs are not responding then down shift to increase revs. This maintains the speed and keeps the torque rev ratio in sync. 
Revs are your friend. 
Torque is your enemy, if left unchecked it will stress the engine and the result is the rev counter drop even when the peddle is being depressed. 
I have an ISL 400 with the Allison 3000 and I can depress the pedal quickly and it will down change on its own but I prefer to force a down gear manually. I often pass other units because their drivers haven’t figured out the “happy zone”.

Tell me if I’m wrong please. 

Hill climbing
John Haggard
4 minutes ago, Rick A said:

Any engine that’s “under reviving” under load is being stressed. Torque is, the load transmission feeding back into the engine and this stress should be answered with revs.  Under-reving is blowing fuel out the exhaust not to mention other damaged being caused. Revs are the response to the torque being applied to the engine.  
The way to deal with the torque which is “power demanded by the load” is revs. If the revs are not responding then down shift to increase revs. This maintains the speed and keeps the torque rev ratio in sync. 
Revs are your friend. 
Torque is your enemy, if left unchecked it will stress the engine and the result is the rev counter drop even when the peddle is being depressed. 
I have an ISL 400 with the Allison 3000 and I can depress the pedal quickly and it will down change on its own but I prefer to force a down gear manually. I often pass other units because their drivers haven’t figured out the “happy zone”.

Tell me if I’m wrong please. 

Your correct

And a Peddle to the metal not only throws fuel out the exhaust 🤫

It ( can ) under certain conditions destroy the proper lubing of the cylinder s and rings. 

We are not driving gas powered car's. 

Micro-air Thermostat
wamcneil

If I were doing it again, I'd probably get microair instead of CCC2.

The CCC2 is a huge improvement over CCC in terms of visibility. And it looks nicer. Which is a good thing... because at 6" wide there's a whole lot more of it to look at... 😲

But in terms of new functionality I don't think it's worth the big honking hole I had to cut in the wall to mount it. 

Cheers,

Walter

Hill climbing
Rick A
2 minutes ago, John Haggard said:

Your correct

And a Peddle to the metal not only throws fuel out the exhaust 🤫

It ( can ) under certain conditions destroy the proper lubing of the cylinder s and rings. 

We are not driving gas powered car's. 

I agree let’s not baby the engine, (thinking revs are harmful) and kill the entire power train with uncontrolled torque. When speed and load demand attention answer with engine power! 

Duo Therm Penguin Squirrel Cage Squealing Noise
wamcneil
On 7/8/2021 at 8:48 AM, Ivylog said:

OP, your motor mounts are probably shot letting the squirrel cage hit BUT it’s not on the circumference, it’s on the side as there’s plenty of clearance on the circumference.

The blower motor is mounted on rubber isolators. When these collapse it can allow contact. Kits are available; I bought one several months ago. I'm sure there's nothing special about the rubber bushings and I'd bet they have similar in stock at mcmaster carr.

Cheers

Walter

Micro-air Thermostat
Converterjoe
48 minutes ago, FishAR said:

I just saw this thermostat on the Monaco facebook forum. They really brag on it.

When I eventually get all the important stuff going I think I'll buy one of these. I have to keep a flashlight on the kitchen counter to use so I can see the readout on my 5 button thermostat since it's so dim.

I replaced both 5-buttons in my Monaco, and the Coleman in my fifth wheel with Micro-Airs.  Absolutely some of the best money I've spent on the coach.  My fifth wheel is permanently parked on a river so I have wifi there all the time and I have a hotspot in my Monaco so I always know the status of my ACs.  They work flawlessly and I love the peace of mind.

Fuel Filters
philcarrell

This week went to change my fuel filters on my ISX 525.  It had fleet guard filters on it and I was replacing with the identical filters.  The primary filter was very hard to  get the thread started but I finally got it  on,  The secondary filter a FF2200 we could not get to thread on.  Both filters were made in Mexico.  So I went and bought a new filter which is a Donaldson.  It threaded right on no problem at all.  

I just wonder if the Mexican manufactured filters are now inferior to the older American made fleet guards.

I usually have filters and oil changes done by RV mobile lube but they have not been to our last 2 rallys,  Am leaving for South Dakota Tuesday so wanted everything serviced.

Bill D always advocated using Donaldson

Fuel Filters
Hypoxia

Did you get them from Amazon or a dealer?

Hill climbing
Ivylog

It ( can ) under certain conditions destroy the proper lubing of the cylinder s and rings.” Not even on your 99 Sig which will not puff black smoke because of modern electric controls. 

Fuel Filters
Timaz996

"I just wonder if the Mexican manufactured filters are now inferior to the older American made fleet guards."?

I would say yes for at least the threads. Basic machine shop work. Someone/s not paying attention.

Fuel Filters
tmw188

Now you have me worried about my recently purchased Fleet Guard from AMZ? Not the same filter PN though as yours. They are spares and will only need them while on the road or at next filter change. Made in Mexico STRATAPORE?  It appears maybe the Stratapore is for both 12&24 valve engines, verses the std Fleetguard are for 12 valve?

81E13A76-0BE5-4934-898A-26A0A6A86B38.jpeg

10DB40D9-E578-4B28-B430-5F54FBC25967.jpeg

Fuel Filters
philcarrell
1 hour ago, Hypoxia said:

Did you get them from Amazon or a dealer?

Good question.  Probably Amazon,  They were in the coach as spares,

Fuel Filters
cbr046

Did you pre-fill your filters or cycle the ignition switch several times to fill them?

- bob

Hill climbing
Gary Cole

An engineer for Mack Truck wrote an interesting article regarding the development of Mack's Maxidyne engine some years ago. The Maxidyne was the forerunner of today's modern high torque rise diesel engines. Mack used a reliable low torque rise 6 cylinder engine as a test block for the new engine. The Maxidyne operated at 1200 rpm on the low end with a torque rise of nearly 40% at that low rpm as I recall from the article. I was lucky  enough to have driven one of the earlier trucks. Very impressive experience.  He said that the failures, some of which occurred in minutes, included stretched head bolts, broken/bent  crankshafts, bent rods, fractures in the engine block, and transmission housings which split down the middle. Mack was forced to develop a new triple shaft transmission as no single shaft transmission of the day  was capable of handling the low rpm torque. This was before engine computer control and when engineers were required to do very complicated stress analysis calculations with slide rules, pencil, and paper. Today's stress analysis software based on finite elements and graphical representations would have been considered from another world at the time.

Repairing a Generator Slide
tmw188

I recently had intermittent issues getting mine to extend. The one time when it did extend out again to the stop I noticed the fluid level was not quite at the extend full mark. It took maybe 8oz or more to bring it to the line. So far it’s been working. It makes a loud shake and rattle noise when I start while in the closed position however, but not while extended. I figure it’s the tray on the rollers. I will need to check those at soon. 

Duo Therm Penguin Squirrel Cage Squealing Noise
burghere66

Update:  I removed the cover and was able to spin the motor shaft freely without any scraping or squealing.  Not sure what was causing the noise but it's gone now.  Ran the unit for 45 minutes cycling it on/off several times and no problems.  I Imagine I'm going to have to change the rubber isolation mounts as they are probably worn after 19 years.  To be honest I'm surprised both the 20 year old units are still working.

Gary B.

2002 Monaco Windsor PBDD

CCC thermostat
Pepperell

As an aside, if you have an AquaHot, you’ll need an extra new style board that’s hidden away (in a kitchen cabinet in my case, location may vary) that lets the CCC2’s all talk together to the AH.  Don’t know if LP furnaces require this though.  

Should I go to Elkhart
tmw188
13 hours ago, Chet P said:

Chet P

2004 Monaco SIG

They do the painting too or just your service work?

CCC thermostat
Ivan K

What does the AH control board look like? I have not seen or found ours yet.

Should I go to Elkhart
redstickbill

Perhaps some of the folks that visit Elkhart Sales & Service could check around and see where some of the surplus places are located and post the locations. Last time I was in Elkhart there was one very close to Elkhart Sales & Service. One that I recall is Bontrager's in White Pigeon, MI.

Update working!! 2009 Dynasty Aquahot not turning on
trailmug

Check the gap on the electrodes with the gap tool that's bolted to the side of the motor?

Update working!! 2009 Dynasty Aquahot not turning on
Timaz996
2 minutes ago, trailmug said:

Check the gap on the electrodes with the gap tool that's bolted to the side of the motor?

And make sure they are clean. If not clean use scotch brite to clean them

CCC thermostat
wamcneil
1 hour ago, Pepperell said:

As an aside, if you have an AquaHot, you’ll need an extra new style board that’s hidden away (in a kitchen cabinet in my case, location may vary) that lets the CCC2’s all talk together to the AH.  Don’t know if LP furnaces require this though.  

I think that’s true with two ACs and three aqua hot zones. In that case you need an AC board to control an AH zone where there’s no 3rd rooftop AC to do the job. But I’m not sure the AH inherently requires an external control board. 
Normally it’s just a couple wires connected to the rooftop AC and the AH  acts just like a furnace. 
Cheers

Walter

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.