Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/479-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Central vac
4rickyg
Should I go to Elkhart
Mike H
Polar Bear Tour??
Bob Nodine
Polar Bear Tour??
Hypoxia
Should I go to Elkhart
Chet P
Driving a motor home
BobSchmeck
Polar Bear Tour??
OhReally
Need some wiring help
jaybe2
Central vac
Dr4Film
Polar Bear Tour??
David K
CCC thermostat
Dr4Film
CCC thermostat
Pepperell
Micro-air Thermostat
Scotty Hutto
Central vac
redstickbill
Need some wiring help
David White
Need some wiring help
Ivan K
Hill climbing
Nevada Rob
Fuel Filters
96 EVO
Polar Bear Tour??
Ron Jones
Central vac
4rickyg
Fuel Filters
tmw188
Central vac
Dr4Film
Paint Code
tmw188
Hill climbing
John Haggard
CCC thermostat
wamcneil
Hill climbing
FishAR
Hill climbing
John Haggard
Hill climbing
Chuck B
Hill climbing
Dr4Film
Troubleshooting Jake Brake issues.
Steve Maurer
PAC Brake
Rob connors
PAC Brake
waterskier_1
PAC Brake
Rob connors
Source engineering ride enhancement kit
waterskier_1
new awning will not retract
bcbmaxwell

Central vac
4rickyg

05 Navigator, central vac not working. No triped breakers,any other ideas I should check? Never had a problem with it before.  Thanks Rick

Should I go to Elkhart
Mike H

You might want to call and see if any of the factory tours are still operating again.  The last I had heard they were closed due to the COVID fiasco.  I'm planning on heading that way in late Aug or early Sept.

Polar Bear Tour??
Bob Nodine

My wife has had seeing a polar bear on her bucket list for years and every now and then brings it up. I am 75 and she is 68 so if we are going to do one of the tours we need to start making plans. I know some of the older members here have been on one of the tours and would be interested in your comments about your experience.

Another thing that has always stopped us from making the tour is our dog. Once the tour reaches Thompson, MB the group goes by either air or train to Churchill for about 4 days. That is where the problem with the dog comes into play. I would be very interested in hearing from members who took their dog as far as Thompson and put them in one of the kennels there for the time they were gone to Churchill. I know each dog is different but mainly concerned about the attituded and care from the kennels there. I have not reached out to any of the tour companies yet and just started doing research. Maybe the campground there offer a service for those that leave their dog behind. If that kind of service exists would be interested in hearing about it.

We are looking at October 2022 at this stage and hoping the Canadian border will be open by then.

Update working!! 2009 Dynasty Aquahot not turning on
ken.knutson100
7 hours ago, Timaz996 said:

And make sure they are clean. If not clean use scotch brite to clean them

Yup cleaned them and couldn’t adjust as there was no tool in that slot. I’ve cleaned a couple of these Aquahots before and they always had the tool there. Not sure where it would have gone to? Maybe previous owner lost it? 

WeBoost Drive 4G-X OTR Signal Booster
Jeff H

I just got A Pepwave  Max Transit Cat 18 LTE Cat 18 with a Ponyting omnidirectional antenna.  You can check it out at https://www.technorv.com/pepwave-cellular-routers/.  Played with it last night in the house with the antennas it comes with and it worked well.  Takes a bit of set up but Techno RV has lots of videos on that.  It has 4 cell and 2 wifi antennas and is able to monitor which band has the most room and switch to your best option base on priorities you specify.

Going to get it installed in the motorhome today hopefully

Polar Bear Tour??
Hypoxia

Alaska is another option once things get back to normal.  Polar Bears

I flew DC-3's into Barter Island daily 40 years ago.  Polar Bears are interesting.

Should I go to Elkhart
Chet P

Elkhart Sales & Service does paint and body work. They are going to do some fiberglass repair and painting on our coach starting Monday. Coach is sitting in their lot right now.

The surplus near ES&S has closed. Bontrager's in White Pigeon, MI. is the one I always go to. Will scout around Monday and see if there are any more in area.

Chet P

2004 Monaco SIG

Driving a motor home
BobSchmeck

First time driving anything that big was bringing the beast home. With my wife as my tell gunner we said a prayer an started the engine.  Nice slow trip home on badly rotten tires. Some how we ended up in a construction zone with barriers 9 feet apart. When I  got to a stop light my wife called in a panic. She told me I'm missing the barriers on my right side by about 2 in. Its a lot harder to keep these big rigs in the center of the lane than you would think. I still have a tendency to hug the right side of the lane. 10 mile trip to home.  It was time for a good stiff drink. 

The only advice I got was don't start your turn till the shoulder of the road is even with your shoulder.  A couple of weeks later was told to find something for a visual to keep centered in the road. When look through a plat glass window,  easier said than done. A black marker sure helped. Took a chunk out of a rear tire getting out of the MVD. Thats when i learned about tail swing. Was hoping those 6 rotten tires would keep holding air till I got the beast in my name.  They did. Then I found a mobile tire guy who was cheaper than anyone else in town.  What a blessing don't think I would have made the 40 mile drive to the tire store. 

Mandatory drivers training,  No way. 

Something that would help is tow different list for people to reference.  

1. For trailer towing.

2. For Motorhomes. 

Does not have to be a long list, just the basics. 

Polar Bear Tour??
OhReally

Bob, look up Rover.com

Their dog sitters are local people that sit dogs in their homes. You can meet the sitter beforehand, look at their sitting situation, and then leave your dog with a sitter who will send you updates and pictures of the dog while you're gone. We have used them several times with confidence.

-jamie

Need some wiring help
jaybe2

I just found a rocker switch that the previous owner must have removed. on the mounting plate it says air seal does anyone know what this is for? It appears to mount in the passengers control panel  

Romeo 84 where you able to get any pics?

Central vac
Dr4Film

First thing is to check whether the motor is getting power to it or not. Once you know that, then you can direct your attention to either before the motor or the motor itself.

Time to get your trusty DVOM out which every coach owner should have and know how to use it.

Polar Bear Tour??
David K
17 minutes ago, OhReally said:

Bob, look up Rover.com

Their dog sitters are local people that sit dogs in their homes. You can meet the sitter beforehand, look at their sitting situation, and then leave your dog with a sitter who will send you updates and pictures of the dog while you're gone. We have used them several times with confidence.

-jamie

Our daughter and her husband just used Rover for their two pets while they were gone.  They were very impressed with the service.  I have also seen many positive comments about Rover on the RV forums.  The trip sounds fantastic!

CCC thermostat
Dr4Film
12 hours ago, Pepperell said:

As an aside, if you have an Aqua-Hot, you’ll need an extra new style board that’s hidden away (in a kitchen cabinet in my case, location may vary) that lets the CCC2’s all talk together to the AH.  Don’t know if LP furnaces require this though.  

That may be true in some coaches but not all. My Aqua-Hot system has four separate thermostats for the four zones so my rooftop Penguin-II AC's are the only thing that are on the CCC-2 thermostat.

CCC thermostat
Pepperell

To clarify, I have 2 ac’s but three zones.  The third zone is for the bathroom and the wet bay heater.  I mistakenly stated that it connected to the AquaHot.  
To summarize I have two CCC2’s, three zones, a controller in each a/c, and a controller for the bathroom/wet bay.  

Sorry for the confusion.  

Micro-air Thermostat
Scotty Hutto

I can echo Joe’s comments.  I’ve had the Micro-air for several months and have been very pleased. I also have (almost) full time WiFi, and being able to check on the status is nice. I’ll also echo an earlier comments… being able to see a FPC change the temp from anywhere in the coach is very convenient. The interface isn’t the prettiest software I’ve ever seen, but it does everything I need (and a few things I don’t). 

Probably the biggest compliment I can give is that my DW loves it and can operate it without having to ask for assistance. (She doesn’t love the NEST in our bricks & sticks). 

WeBoost Drive 4G-X OTR Signal Booster
JDCrow
3 hours ago, Jeff H said:

I just got A Pepwave  Max Transit Cat 18 LTE Cat 18 with a Ponyting omnidirectional antenna.  You can check it out at https://www.technorv.com/pepwave-cellular-routers/.  Played with it last night in the house with the antennas it comes with and it worked well.  Takes a bit of set up but Techno RV has lots of videos on that.  It has 4 cell and 2 wifi antennas and is able to monitor which band has the most room and switch to your best option base on priorities you specify.

Going to get it installed in the motorhome today hopefully

Yeah, I’m holding out for Starlink on my data needs. The Weeboost is kinda a stop-gap that hopefully would gain me the ability to get calls/texts through, and data till Starlink 

Central vac
redstickbill

In my 07 Dynasty the two contact screws in the wall socket have loosened and do not make good contact with the metal collar on the hose and the vac will not run. When I make good contact between the screws and thaehose collar the vac runs as it should. for me this is a "sometime in the future repair".

Bill B 07 Dynasty 

Need some wiring help
David White

Jaybe2, I would guess it the entry door air seal switch, if that coach is equipped.

Need some wiring help
Ivan K

Jason, I drive a 2000 Signature which I thought would be similar but don't have the switch you mentioned. Not from factory anyway. The only air seal I know about is the door seal bladder, All around the door to seal your door. There would be an airline to it in front lower corner of the door frame.

Hill climbing
Nevada Rob

Engine torque gets a vehicle moving, engine horsepower keeps it moving. That is why the power torque band is low on the rpm scale. Low rpm torque gets the coach moving. Once up to speed the HP is what keeps the coach at speed. Since the majority of HP band is in the 1750 to 2100 rpm range it is best to keep that range of RPM when climbing hills. Take control of your vehicle and do not depend on the trans or ECM or any other device to drive your coach. There is no substitute for human input and control. At least not yet. Climbing a grade is only half the battle. Whatever goes up must come down. As a general rule, use the same gear you climbed the hill in to descend the hill. Not always the case but a good place to start as it is better to upshift on a down grade than trying to slow down. 

Fuel Filters
96 EVO

Every Donaldson filter I've installed on my coach was made in Mexico.

Need part numbers for brakes on 2001 Holiday Rambler Ambassador, Roadmaster Chassis, DP
Robert92867

As I share a similar MH chassis, I would appreciate if you share the part / source info you find out from this project.

Thanks

Polar Bear Tour??
Ron Jones

Bob, we went on the Polar bear trip a few years ago to Churchill, Manitoba. Could be wrong but I think we did it with Monaco International and they (somehow) shared the trip with one of the commercial tour groups (not important to know now). What is important is that we initially met (got together) with the group in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Many left their coach in Winnipeg. We left ours in North Dakota. From Winnipeg, we were bussed to The Pas, Manitoba. There, we got on a train for a two-day trip to Churchill. It was a great ride, good food, good sleeping, and good scenery. They put us in a BASIC motel (had everything we needed) in Churchill. We were toured around town AND went out to see the bears in what they call a "Tundra Buggy." Our guide was wonderful.  We spent the night out in the tundra in the "Tundra Buggy Lodge" and,  again, everything was fine. (I'm guessing that the facilities are more "up-to-date" know than when we went - but NO complaints.  We flew back to Winnipeg.

I STRONGLY recommend doing the trip AND spend at least one night in the Tundra Buggy Lodge. It's one of those you remember and talk about.

While I have LOTS of pics, I've attached two.

Ron

Tundra Buggy Lodge.jpg

Polar Bear Nose in Window.jpg

Central vac
4rickyg

Vac is working. Forgot I unplugged it in the basement a few weeks ago!! Thanks for the replies. 

Need part numbers for brakes on 2001 Holiday Rambler Ambassador, Roadmaster Chassis, DP
Mike in Va

Robert will attach the NAPA part numbers I have when I get home on Sunday evening.  I'm trying to gather as many numbers as I can for future use. 

Fuel Filters
tmw188

I guess it’s like when growing up when things were made made in Japan. 

Central vac
Dr4Film

Season 3 Wall GIF by The Simpsons

Paint Code
tmw188

Looks perfect!

Update working!! 2009 Dynasty Aquahot not turning on
Timaz996

These vibrate so look down in the plumbing below the motor...maybe it just fell off if the screw wasn't tight. You can buy them though.

Glad you have it working.

Hill climbing
John Haggard

My signature likes 👍1600 to 2000 rpm. 

Only one hill  do I get down to first gear and run 2200 rpm

Rt. 111 North of Soddy Daisy.

South of Static. 

CCC thermostat
wamcneil
2 hours ago, Pepperell said:

To clarify, I have 2 ac’s but three zones.  The third zone is for the bathroom and the wet bay heater.  I mistakenly stated that it connected to the AquaHot.  
To summarize I have two CCC2’s, three zones, a controller in each a/c, and a controller for the bathroom/wet bay.  

Sorry for the confusion.  

Thanks for bringing up that special case. If I had that configuration and replaced the ACs with new CCC2s, it would probably take me a good long while to figure it out for myself. I would never have guessed that Monaco would take a circuit board out of an air conditioner and bury it in the wall to control an aqua hot zone 🧐

Cheers

Walter

Hill climbing
FishAR
51 minutes ago, John Haggard said:

My signature likes 👍1600 to 2000 rpm. 

Only one hill  do I get down to first gear and run 2200 rpm

Rt. 111 North of Soddy Daisy.

South of Static. 

Is that a steeper grade than Monteagle?

Hill climbing
John Haggard
24 minutes ago, FishAR said:

Is that a steeper grade than Monteagle?

The climb on the old road 

North of the river valley is 8 %

South of Sparta  

Hill climbing
Chuck B

I see nothing is being said about a exhaust or true engine Jake Brake.  On my 2004 Windsor, when I reach the top of a long high grade, I slow down to 15 MPG, engage my 2 stage Jake brake, and start down the hill in the low setting.  If the lower stage slows me down lower than 15 MPG, I switch to high.  When my speed reaches 30 MPH, I switch to the low setting.  I toggle back and forth all the way down not having to use the brake peddle.  That worked every time for me.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Hill climbing
Dr4Film

Chuck, I didn't want to interject posts on how to descend a grade on this thread just so people wouldn't get confused.

I was hoping that someone would start a NEW thread in regards to descending a grade.

Big differences whether one has an Exhaust Brake or an Engine Brake.

r3meyer

Bought a new to me coach in Feb of this year.  We do a lot of weekend trips and my normal route is pretty flat.  This April we took a trip to Moab and quickly learned that my coaches Jake brake is not engaging.  The coach would snowball down the hills.

Here is what I have done so far.

• When I first got the coach it would not downshift at all when I pushed on the footswitch.  I found the foot switch was bad and not passing 12v through it.  Had this same issue on my 98 windsor.  I replaced the foot switch with the arm rest switch which I like better and was now getting 12v through the switch.  Still no engine or transmission downshifting.
  • I found the 2 wire connector leading to the HIGH / LOW switch was disconnected when I removed the service panel on the arm rest console.  I connected this back up to the mating end and gave it a shot.  The coach would now downshift when you activated the engine brake switch.  I thought this solved my problem.  My 98 Windsor had the pack brake so I assumed I was good to go.  I was wrong.
  • With the engine brake switch on and low/high switch in low the transmission will select 2nd and start its normal downshifting procedure.  I have checked voltage back at the jake solenoids and I DO NOT get 12v.  I confirmed this with a friend driving while I tested things in the engine bay.
  • If I disconnect the harness from the jake solenoids and jump them with 12V both banks work.  You can hear them and feel them slowing the coach.  So the Jake is functional as a unit.
  • If I put the low/high switch into HIGH but dont activate the engine brake switch on the arm console, the coach will start its down shifting procedure as soon as you let off the gas.
  • My TCL light is on all the time.  I dont know if this would have anything to do with why the engine brake does not work.

My concern is someone was obviously in there messing with this.  Is there a chance they de-activated this in the ECU?  

Looking for some help on where to go from here or what to try.

Steve Maurer

Had similar problem on 2006 Cheetah. Jake break would activate then stay in low gear. Found that i had put in a wrong light bulb in the rear brake light shorting the brake light with running light.

Brake light line latches relay for jake brake in my coach. 

Ivylog

I would say the 2 wires you connected do not go to the high/low switch… go to the Jake on/off.

r3meyer
33 minutes ago, Ivylog said:

I would say the 2 wires you connected do not go to the high/low switch… go to the Jake on/off.

I am pretty sure they come from the transmission.

Convert Batwing antenna to hold a wifi/ cellular antenna.
Jeff H

Hello All

I thought it was here I saw someone post that they had removed the batwing antenna and adapted a cell/WiFi antenna to it so the y could raise and lower it.

I have searched but I must not be using the right words

PAC Brake
Rob connors

Has anyone wired there foot switch pedal directly to the solenoid that activates exhaust Brake (PAC BRAKE) Bypassing ABS Relay box and Ecm this is on 8.3 Cummins 1995 executive I know I will have to downshift transmission manually

anyone have any Pros and Cons … Thank You 

Dr4Film

I did that many years ago with the Rogue Wi-Fi antenna I installed to the bat-wing.

I am away from my laptop but when I return I will post a few photos for you.

Jeff H

Perfect

Thanks Richard.  I found the post finally on IRV2.  Bob Jones had posted about attaching a dish to one of the arms on the antenna.  I have a Ponyting https://poynting.tech/antennas/mimo-3-15/.  Weight wise it is ounces different. To be honest I'm not sure which is heavier, the old bat wing assembly odr the new antenna.  I'm thinking to get a bracket made from aluminium made to match the the batwing attachment then add a flat aluminum plate to fasten the antenna to.  Then I just need to get the wires through the roof.

PAC Brake
waterskier_1

Yes, simply run a pair of wires from a dash switch to the floor switch.  Wire in parallel and either switch may be used. 

PAC Brake
Rob connors

I have no dash switch just a foot switch 

r3meyer
33 minutes ago, Ivylog said:

I am pretty sure they come from the transmission.

Scott 61

Has anyone installed source engineering ride enhancement kit on there rr8r or rr8s chassis ?

It has front & rear sway bar custom tuned Bilstein shocks , steering stabilizer is it worth the money what's the pros and cons  thank you

waterskier_1

Do they make one for RR8 chassis?  I'm only aware of one for the RR4 chassis. 

new awning will not retract
bcbmaxwell

I have a 2005 Monaco Diplomat and had a new awning installed about a year ago.  Have not use the awning since new install and it will not retract and it is a Carefree don't know the model but it is he main awning, it will retract about  half a turn but stops and will not move but it will go back to staring point. It sounds like the battery is very weak but I know the battery is charged up as it stays pugged  in. I talked to the installer RV repair and sales the guy give me 0 information on the way to trouble it. I see a rip off, charging $200.00 per hour, they are the only shop in town that I would let them work on it, so you can see  what to do now?

Rick A

I did this but I can’t remember exactly how. I removed the blades, leaving the arm mechanism intact. I then made a bracket from HomeDepot stuff and bolted it to the antenna arm into which I drilled a hole so I could secure the internet antenna. 
I used an Alpha Network receiver which I put inside the rig. I think the hardest part was feeding the new coax cable into the overhead TV cabinet. 
I’m away from my rig right now but I remember this was a relatively easy job. 

Tom Wallis

I have both a cell booster antenna and a WIFI booster antenna on my TV antenna mast. When the mast is down the longer WIFI antenna goes horizontal but the shorter cell booster stays vertical in all positions. I took the bat wing TV antenna off an I have no TV. Both antennas work with the mast down but I do see an improvement when I put it up.

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.