Slide topper gouge

I believe Chris T. covered how to stop this in one of his presentations a few years back but I failed to act on it and don't remember the details. Guess I did not realize we had the problem but as the photo shows we do. Does anyone remember the solution or is it to late for me.

1073705191_Slidetopperdamage.thumb.jpg.8f74895927d1dfa4b583de80d0243e80.jpg

Bob, I tried the fix several years back, but I could never get it to work long term.                      I remember his recommending getting door edge molding which is commonly used on cars.  Cut short pieces and slip over the metal topper guard on each end, which is the area where you are getting the abrasion.  The idea is the fabric is rubbing on the metal, which I think is correct.  In my case, the guard edge is tight against the topper which gives little room for the trim, so the trim piece would keep coming off after a few in/ cycles.

It might work on your guards.  Good luck.

One other thought, after looking back at the stonevos site.  They say they give extra fabric length so the topper can be reversed.  If yours came from there, you might do that. But, that doesn’t solve the cause!

Edited by David White

8 hours ago, David White said:

Bob, I tried the fix several years back, but I could never get it to work long term.                      I remember his recommending getting door edge molding which is commonly used on cars.  Cut short pieces and slip over the metal topper guard on each end, which is the area where you are getting the abrasion.  The idea is the fabric is rubbing on the metal, which I think is correct.  In my case, the guard edge is tight against the topper which gives little room for the trim, so the trim piece would keep coming off after a few in/ cycles.

It might work on your guards.  Good luck.

One other thought, after looking back at the stonevos site.  They say they give extra fabric length so the topper can be reversed.  If yours came from there, you might do that. But, that doesn’t solve the cause!

Thanks David. Yes I knew that the toppers can be reversed and I did that on the old ones years ago before putting on new ones from Stonevos. I will try some rubber hose and split it so the hose will slip over the metal shroud. May add some 3M trim adhesive to help hold it in place.