Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/481-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Micro-air Thermostat
Dr4Film
new awning will not retract
bcbmaxwell
Micro-air Thermostat
Dave Pumphrey
Micro-air Thermostat
hitechpete
Chuck B
Chuck B
GPS
Joe E.
Ray Davis
Replacement mufflers
moxy1962
2000 Monaco Dynasty 40’ chassis
vpedersen
Ride Height Question
Chargerman
John Haggard
Dwight Lindsey
Ride Height Question
David White
Ride Height Question
Chargerman
Ride Height Question
Chuck B
Ride Height Question
Chargerman
Ride Height Question
David White
Ride Height Question
Chargerman
Ride Height Question
David White
GPS
Dear LaserWorks
Bill D's Monacoers' Gathering Update!!
Scotty Hutto

Micro-air Thermostat
Dr4Film
On 7/10/2021 at 10:50 AM, Scotty Hutto said:

Probably the biggest compliment I can give is that my DW loves it and can operate it without having to ask for assistance. (She doesn’t love the NEST in our bricks & sticks). 

Scotty, I chose the Emerson Sensi Wi-Fi Thermostat for our Florida home shorty after purchasing it back in 2016 specifically so I could monitor & control the temp and humidity in the house while we are away on our coach trips during the summer months. I have been very pleased with the ease of use and visibility so much that I purchased the non-Wi-Fi version for the Aqua-Hot system zone one which is the salon & kitchen area of the coach.

https://tinyurl.com/3hpcmmbp

bcbmaxwell

Followup on my awning problems. Called a mobile tech I have used in past. JB is his name..came to my House and in a few minutes he had awning retracted, he used his big arms  to retracted my awning. He  pushed and pulled the awning, putting on some spray oil, he readjusted the rigging and it now work great and I am a happy camper. I guess being going on 79 I don't have the HP use to have 50 years ago.

Micro-air Thermostat
Dave Pumphrey
On 7/11/2021 at 7:53 AM, BennieH said:

I replaced our 5-button in our Monaco with the Micro-Air.  Absolutely some of the best money I've spent on updates. I have a Mobley and the wifi on in the coach all the time. So I always know the status of my ACs.  Works flawlessly and I love the easy to read display.

How do you like the mobley? It has it's own data plan? 

Micro-air Thermostat
hitechpete
On 2/12/2021 at 7:10 PM, wamcneil said:

I can't speak to the cost specifically, but I think I understand the requiring requirements . At least in my RV...

The wall thermostat is connected to the first rooftop unit by a phone cable. you should already have that cable, and that first unit will be Zone1.

Then the other rooftop units are daisy-chained to Zone1 with a phone cable (Thermostat>>Zone1>>Zone2>>Zone3>>Zone4)

Only the first rooftop unit (Zone1) can use the temp sensor in the wall thermostat. Any other rooftop units that are daisy-chained off of Zone1 will each require a remote temp sensor to be connected to each rooftop unit.

Otherwise, I'm not sure any more rewiring is necessary. The wall thermostat isn't connected directly to the furnace or aquahot. It's the rooftop unit circuit boards trigger other features like the furnace or aquahot when told to do so by the thermostat. And all that other wiring should already in place.

Example: In my case, I've got a middle AC that is Zone2 on the bedroom thermostat. I would like it to be connected to the front thermostat instead. I believe I can run a phone cable overhead from the front AC to the middle AC, disconnect the phone cable that presently connects the middle AC to the bedroom AC and I think that's all that is needed. The middle AC already has a remote temp sensor located in the bathroom because it is currently Zone2 on the bedroom thermostat, and not controlled by a dedicated thermostat.

Does that help?

Cheers.

Walter

You might need to change some dip switches as daisy chained A/C’s need a switch setting in each so that the thermostat knows how many zones there are.

2007 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ Hydraulic Oil Cooler, Filter and ATF
tmw188

I just replaced my filters and changed fluid. Fluid Dextron III (basically equivalent check label it will show the # your looking for) from Auto Zone. Filters from Modern Group $40.

Water pressure accumulator plumbing question
Dave Hinds

My tank started to leak at fitting and I did exactly what Vito did and I also cut in a valve that feeds the tank incase it started again. Very easy to do with PEX pipe and PEX valve...................

Safe travels

Dave

2004 Signature, Detroit 60 with Ugly Fix, res fridge, induction cook top, new Lifeline batteries, pure sine wave inverter, 3 new AC's & CCC2, 2020 GMC Denali &

2021 Mini Cooper JCW

tmw188
On 7/11/2021 at 7:16 AM, Dr4Film said:

I purchased the filters from RyderFleetProducts.com

Also purchase a new seal for the cover just to make sure.

As far as fluid, use either Dexron 3 or 4 for the reservoir which ever is easier to find.

1     V52 99955A      Filter gasket kit                         Stocking Item               4.70(ea)    4.70     

3     NEL 84101B      Filter hydraulic                          Stocking Item              10.29(ea)    30.87    

Good pricing.

Bob R

I removed the accumulator and plugged the water supply line some 8 years ago. The new water pump I installed (the original failed) regulates the pressure and flow so there is no need for the accumulator.

Chuck B

Tell me about the HP at age 79.  That is why I sold our coach at age 70.  All the money I saved goes to trips where we stay at motels and eat out.  I closed out that chapter of my life in 2010 and took up another hobby that fits my age and body strength.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Paul A.
22 minutes ago, Bob R said:

I removed the accumulator and plugged the water supply line some 8 years ago. The new water pump I installed (the original failed) regulates the pressure and flow so there is no need for the accumulator.

Yep. And if yu experience any "pulsation hammering", just take a 3' section of water line and make a loop, in place off the tank, and secure it vertically inplace. 

Source engineering ride enhancement kit
Cubflyer

My experience with my RR8R chassis (and my first ever driving of a MH) was that with no additional suspension upgrades it was a monster! every bridge crossing or dip or groove in the road or car and especially trucks coming by was a test in driving skill (with a slightly loose steering box).  

First thing I changed were the shocks, all 8 with standard "magnum" Monroes, it drove better on the way to the tire shop.  Drove a little better with all new tires and a trip across the scales and tire pressure adjustment, but still had the feeling I was driving a shipping container connected to a chassis with rubber bands with a mind of it's own.

I installed just the front swaybar (the rear was not available at the time (mid May)), BIG improvement, more stable on the highway, less lean, felt more "connected" but still would go left or right with bumps and dips (always a thrill to head a new unknown direction while you are bouncing up and down).

Next came the front watts link and rear crossbars..... this past month I drove from near Memphis TN to Denver and then across I-70 to Salt Lake... lots of rough roads, dips, construction lane shifts with changes in road surface, huge dips and bridge crossings, trucks passing, etc and it drives straight... the coach is steady, and my steering input is only to guide it down the road, not to try to keep it on the road.

My personal opinion is that with a properly built suspension a coach should go straight and steady and the driver should only direct it, the driver should not have to keep the coach going straight.  Coming across Kansas even the winds were not much of a bother.... 

I believe the watts link in the front and the crossbars in the back "stabilized" the H frame so it does not "pivot" (causing steering input in relationship to the rest of the coach).  This was the biggest help, and the swaybar in the front reduces and controls the tilt side to side in the front.  Having a especially precise and tight steering box is not needed if the coach is stable on the road (it's a lot easier to stand on a solid platform than on a ball)

I'm still considering adding the rear swaybar and rear watts link..... and maybe higher dollar shocks in the front, but I'm not going to replace my steering box, I'm not driving a NASCAR or INDY car... 

I think I added the minimum that these chassis' need to be safe, without the watts link and crossbars these chassis are just plain squirrely...unsafe at any speed over about 55mph.

Chuck B

There should be a coiled up spring in the awning tube.  The spring can rust and break not allowing the awning to retract.  Tell me about the HP at age 79.  That is why I sold our coach at age 70.  All the money I saved goes to trips where we stay at motels and eat out.  I closed out that chapter of my life in 2010 and took up another hobby that fits my age and body strength.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

2003 holiday rambler endeavor 40 PST power steering fluid change
darrenclegg@comcast.net

owners manuel says ATF fluid for the power steering pump, however it is defiantly not ATF. How to tell the difference between AW-46 and 15-40 diesel motor oil

Taking a long trip, what parts to bring along
Hockeydiesel

Ride height linkage kit - Haldax 48100225 - less than 20 bucks. Those rubber end pieces ( lollipops ) do rot and fail. Safety blocks. Two inch schedule 80 pipe works great. No stacks of 2x4s. Over 30K on rear axle on some coaches. Air bag - AS8897 - Find it Parts , $120 free shipping. Has 3/4 NPT for air fitting. Need 3/4 x 1/4 reducer bushing. Some coaches need 3/4 NPT on front air bags ( mine does - 05 sig. ). 

2003 holiday rambler endeavor 40 PST power steering fluid change
gregolson65@yahoo.com

I just changed mine on my 2003 monaco and it is Dexron III Tranny Fluid. I bought my fluid at a local freightliner dealership.

GPS
Joe E.
On 6/24/2021 at 9:16 PM, Mark B said:

They don’t make a bean bag mount for the RV890 yet. I’ve been looking. We used a sticky pad under the screw down adapter for now because the wife wants to see the screen too. It holds ok but not a long term solution. The RAM mounts are 17mm for the 7 series, the RV890 uses a 25mm (1”)ball. I’m open to suggestions too.

I found a bean bag mount for the RV890 on Amazon.  Less than $10.  Weighs 1lb-3oz.  2lbs-10oz with the RV890 attached.  The disc is 3 7/8 inches (95mm) in diameter.  The RV890 suction cup is about 3 1/2 inches in diameter. Has a rubber pad and a sticky ring on the bottom to minimize slippage.  Works like a charm.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Dashboard-Magellan-Portable-Navigators/dp/B0772CR74K/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=bean+bag+dash+mount&qid=1626114350&sr=8-3

Amazon also has 95mm dashboard discs to mount to the dashboard to use with the RV890's mount's larger suction cup.  Two for less than $10.

https://www.amazon.com/Randconcept-Adhesive-Dashboard-Mounting-Diameter/dp/B07SPJ7BSX/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1WLCCT6FEY2GR&dchild=1&keywords=95mm+dashboard+mounting+disk&qid=1626114777&sprefix=95mm+dashboard+mount%2Caps%2C429&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzQVpLSVlSRkdERFkwJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjQ3OTQ4Mk1BRUNGQzhWMFBERSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMDM4NDY1R0NWMkFPM003VUVWJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

IMG_0092.thumb.jpg.d0b0add3910090dd8d4887aa68feaa3d.jpgIMG_0093.thumb.jpg.19e6ce46e74b31c7fdd0bc861c291de0.jpgIMG_0094.thumb.jpg.44dbf6d83e5c9b4bc1d28fbcc47ffb47.jpgIMG_0098.thumb.jpg.dab927079bbc1cb9fa7a7a01889babd7.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

JDCrow
7 hours ago, Hockeydiesel said:

Ride height linkage kit - Haldax 48100225 - less than 20 bucks. Those rubber end pieces ( lollipops ) do rot and fail. Safety blocks. Two inch schedule 80 pipe works great. No stacks of 2x4s. Over 30K on rear axle on some coaches. Air bag - AS8897 - Find it Parts , $120 free shipping. Has 3/4 NPT for air fitting. Need 3/4 x 1/4 reducer bushing. Some coaches need 3/4 NPT on front air bags ( mine does - 05 sig. ). 

Can you elaborate on the 2” sch 80 safety blocks? 

moxy1962
1 minute ago, JDCrow said:

Can you elaborate on the 2” sch 80 safety 

40 minutes ago, Hockeydiesel said:

30000 lbs in rear axle? Axles are typicall rated around 20000 give or take, that’s about 10 to 11 k a side, blocking 6k on front bag and 6k on rear bag is just fine, done it numerous times, a stack of 2 x 4s or 4 x 4s is amble support , plent of guys driving there coaches up on a stack of 2 x 6, just be sensible and more is better and dont use rotten wood you found on the side of the road 

moxy1962
13 minutes ago, JDCrow said:

Can you elaborate on the 2” sch 80 safety 

51 minutes ago, Hockeydiesel said:

Ray Davis
8 hours ago, bcbmaxwell said:

I guess being going on 79 I don't have the HP use to have 50 years ago.

Yep, I'm about a yr older maybe 2, going on 81 and it does make a difference.   From my perspective you gotta resist giving in to it or the rocking chair on the porch will grab your butt and not let go.  We still love going and plan to as soon as we get through with our friends funeral.  :classic_sad:  That is if I can get out of this rockin chair

Alan Hale

Thanks to all for your replies. The accumulator bladder was burst so I found a replacement tank at a local plumbing supply.

It was a genuine bear to get the tank out! I also put a valve in the line so I can isolate it in the future if need be. Thanks for that suggestion.

Performance wise the water pressure and pump cycling times are greatly improved!

Hockeydiesel

Schedule 80 pipe. A little heavier than common schedule 40 pipe. My blocks are 11 inches long. They do the job. Where did I get 30K rear axle? My coach is 47,600 gross. Minus 14,600 gross front axle equals 33,000. Minus 3000 for rear axle and H frame equals 30,000. Tag axle does not help with no air in system. Some coaches are well over 50,000 gross. A lot of weight for a little stack of 2x4s or any other kind of wood. I am sure that some 2" square tubing 1/4 wall would work just as well.

Replacement mufflers
moxy1962

So after about a year of looking I have managed to find a direct replacement muffler for my Dynasty, 27 inch long 11 inch diameter direct replacement, made in Canada, if anyone’s looking message me $300 US plus shipping 

B6D8D3E4-8DD2-4F07-A128-43152BE8D1FB.jpeg

moxy1962
47 minutes ago, Hockeydiesel said:

Schedule 80 pipe. A little heavier than common schedule 40 pipe. My blocks are 11 inches long. They do the job. Where did I get 30K rear axle? My coach is 47,600 gross. Minus 14,600 gross front axle equals 33,000. Minus 3000 for rear axle and H frame equals 30,000. Tag axle does not help with no air in system. Some coaches are well over 50,000 gross. A lot of weight for a little stack of 2x4s or any other kind of wood. I am sure that some 2" square tubing 1/4 wall would work just as well.

Your rear axle is rated for 23000 max, doesn’t carry anywhere near 30000 lbs, if you have weighed your axle and you are in fact at between 30000 and 33000lbs as you claim you are dangerously over weight on your rear axle, the only tire capable of that weight are 315’s at max pressure which is over max rated inflation for rims. I expect you are mistaken and are much closer to the 23000 or less on drive axles and I can assure you from experience that 4 x 4 and 2 x 4s are adequate for blocking the coach up for air bag replacement, I’ve done it my self numerous times with 0 issues 

vpedersen

looking for information and advice on the chassis on our 2000 Monaco Dynasty 40’ and how to improve the steering and handling on the road. 

Cursed G2000 awning will not extend
Bob R

My G2000 awning will not extend using the electric motor. I can manually extend the awning and it will retract using the motor drive. Has anyone experienced this problem? If so how was the problem solved?

Ride Height Question
Chargerman

I just finished adjusting my rear ride height valves because my coach was leaning a bit. After a few adjustments with dumping air and bringing it back to travel height I have it sitting level but I have some discrepancies amongst the air spring dimensions. I realize the target dimension is 9” and I’m not sure how much variation to this number is normal. Here are my current dims.  Not sure what adjustments I could make to get them closer to target.  How much variation to nominal is to be expected?

Front of coach

9 1/8”.               9 1/4”

9 1/2”.               9 1/4”

8 1/2”               9 3/4”

8 1/2”               9 1/4”

Rear of coach

Thanks for your input  

John Haggard

In the past week or two there have been threads that addressed your issues. 

Most recommended calling  Source engineering 

Dwight Lindsey

Vic:

Read this thread on IRV2:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/taming-the-roadmaster-rr8r-chassis-315870.html

Call Mike Hughes at Monaco Watts and talk with him:

https://monacowatts.com/

Dwight

Vic:

You have an RR8S chassis, not the RR8R that's mentioned in the thread I quoted above.

The story is pretty much the same.

Here's a better thread to read:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/wandering-sway-bars-alignment-ride-height-oh-my-124491-16.html

Ride Height Question
David White
1 hour ago, Chargerman said:

I just finished adjusting my rear ride height valves because my coach was leaning a bit. After a few adjustments with dumping air and bringing it back to travel height I have it sitting level but I have some discrepancies amongst the air spring dimensions. I realize the target dimension is 9” and I’m not sure how much variation to this number is normal. Here are my current dims.  Not sure what adjustments I could make to get them closer to target.  How much variation to nominal is to be expected?

Front of coach

9 1/8”.               9 1/4”

9 1/2”.               9 1/4”

8 1/2”               9 3/4”

8 1/2”               9 1/4”

Rear of coach

Thanks for your input  

Are you looking at the ride height measurements or the “dimensions” of the bags/springs?  I think the goal is to get the height correct,not dimensions, using the measuring procedure your manufacture recommends.  Those numbers (front and back) are manufacturers recommended and usually the distance between the top and lower bag plate.

Ride Height Question
Chargerman
2 minutes ago, David White said:

Are you looking at the ride height measurements or the “dimensions” of the bags/springs?  I think the goal is to get the height correct,not dimensions, using the measuring procedure your manufacture recommends.  Those numbers (front and back) are manufacturers recommended and usually the distance between the top and lower bag plate.

Those dims listed are the air spring dims. plate to plate. As mentioned I wondering how much variance from the nominal are to be expected and if my current dims are satisfactory and normal. 

Ride Height Question
Chuck B

Monaco recommends ride height adjustment be made on  a level concrete pad.  Make 1/8 inch adjustment, dump air, and start engine allowing the coach to air up to ride height.  Repeat until the desired ride height is reached.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Ride Height Question
Chargerman

Yes, that is what I did. Don’t have an issue with that. Thanks for your reply but my questions in my original post remain. 

Ride Height Question
David White

I think the big variations you have are not good. As ChuckB said, the adjustments are in 1/8” increments. So apparently that was not done since you’ve ended up with big differences, mainly on the rear.

Ride Height Question
Chargerman

But if I adjust it to increase the 8 1/2” on the left rear it seems like it will increase the dims on the front left.  Do you know how close yours are?

Ride Height Question
David White

Mine are within 1/4”, but my front and rear are the same height.  I don’t have # in front of me at this time, but I think it is 9 5/16” on the ‘05 Windsor.  That differs within models. I see one file on this site says yours is 9”.

I think you’ll have to do that and just keep cross setting (left rear to right front, etc) in small increments till you get it close. This means you’ll need to keep playing with front and back. 

Mine has the Firestone Intelliride leveling/ride system, so I make changes with a computer hooked to the cpu.

GPS
Dear LaserWorks
6 hours ago, Joe E. said:

I found a bean bag mount for the RV890 on Amazon.  Less than $10.  Weighs 1lb-3oz.  2lbs-10oz with the RV890 attached.  The disc is 3 7/8 inches (95mm) in diameter.  The RV890 suction cup is about 3 1/2 inches in diameter. Has a rubber pad and a sticky ring on the bottom to minimize slippage.  Works like a charm.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Dashboard-Magellan-Portable-Navigators/dp/B0772CR74K/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=bean+bag+dash+mount&qid=1626114350&sr=8-3

Amazon also has 95mm dashboard discs to mount to the dashboard to use with the RV890's mount's larger suction cup.  Two for less than $10.

Nice! I just ordered one to mount my RVi display mount which falls off my dash when it gets too hot. Now I'll be able to move it around, too, not stuck in one spot. Thanks for sharing what you found.

Bill D's Monacoers' Gathering Update!!
Scotty Hutto
On 6/20/2021 at 2:30 PM, Sharon L. said:

What is your can only stay for part of the time?  We already have a trip booked starting on Friday in GA.  

Sharon,

Sorry it's taken so long to respond.  That's really a question that only @David Pratt can answer, and I believe he's on the road right now.  I mentioned him, so hopefully he'll see this and respond.

Scotty

On 6/30/2021 at 9:06 PM, tmw188 said:

I stubbled upon this Gathering and would like to attend being we will only be about 50mi away. I would have not known of this if I didn’t happen on to it. I’m new to the Monacoers but wish I would have received an email telling me about it. Hope to make the decision soon and get signed up.

We'll send out another email update in August that will go out to everyone on the site that has not opted out of receiving emails (if someone opts out, we're prohibited from sending them emails.)

weighman695
15 hours ago, tmw188 said:

I just replaced my filters and changed fluid. Fluid Dextron III (basically equivalent check label it will show the # your looking for) from Auto Zone. Filters from Modern Group $40.

These are the filters installed in the reservoir.  I drained the hydraulic oil, but there is no part number identifying the filter.  I brought it with me to Auto Zone.  They can't figure out the part as well.

20210712_143156[1].jpg

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.