Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/483-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Power cuts out 2004 Monaco Diplomat
dirtydeeds
Taking a long trip, what parts to bring along
wayne.cerven@gmail.com
Slide creeps in
Hypoxia
wayne.cerven@gmail.com
Polar Bear Tour??
Bob Nodine
Diplomat Duo Therm Heat pump problem
Ray Davis
Steven P
Polar Bear Tour??
birdshill123
Ray Davis
willbo777
Slide creeps in
Poohbear
Micro-air Thermostat
wamcneil
Micro-air Thermostat
amphi_sc
Scotty Hutto
waterskier_1
GPS
cbr046
GPS
jacwjames
No 12 volt driver side
Rivrman2
No 12 volt driver side
John Haggard
No 12 volt driver side
Rivrman2
No 12 volt driver side
John Haggard
Micro-air Thermostat
Duey59
No 12 volt driver side
Ivan K
No 12 volt driver side
John Haggard
No 12 volt driver side
Ivan K
No 12 volt driver side
John Haggard
No 12 volt driver side
Larry H
Slide creeps in
Ivylog
Tow Dolly wanted
redstickbill
IOTA ITS-50R
tmw188
Slide creeps in
Bob Blackmon
Slides not working, keep blowing fuse
monacowner
IOTA ITS-50R
Dive Dive
IOTA ITS-50R
jacwjames
IOTA ITS-50R
klcdenver
IOTA ITS-50R
Scotty Hutto
IOTA ITS-50R
tmw188

dirtydeeds

Here’s as much info as I can think of:

When hooked to 110v shore power 20amp breaker, if I try to run two of the 3 roof top air conditioners, something ‘pops’. It’s not the inverter. It’s not the breaker for either A/c, it’s not the shore power breaker. 

The RV has an Intelletec  panel which loses power completely. The display goes completely off. I can’t find where the breaker is to the panel. Even the owners manual doesn’t say anything. 

abybody have any experience with this?

BDB8445D-9ED9-41EE-A6C3-C8B00D85D640.jpeg

Jim Bob

You need much more than 20 amps to run 3 AC units. 

wayne.cerven@gmail.com

No, just carrying it as a spare, some fittings, extra line and plugs. Something happens somewhere at least we have some parts.

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

Slide creeps in
Hypoxia
8 hours ago, Poohbear said:

Wanted to see if any of you have had the problem of a slide creeping back in slowly on its own. I have a 2004 signature and the bedroom slide on the passenger slide will come back in slowly over time. Is there something that’s suppose to hold it ? I assume that the slide topper is giving it enough pull back to make it slide but don’t know. 

If it is the hydraulic slide it is normally caused by the solenoid mounted on the hydraulic pump located under the entry step.  You can try holding the switch for a few seconds after it is fully extended, sometimes that will help.  You can locate the solenoid by unplugging the solenoid plug one at a time until the slide doesn't extend.  HWH does a fast turnaround if you send it in for rebuild and very reasonable pricewise.  Release the pressure before unscrewing the solenoid, it is very tight in there space wise.

Your Owners Manual discusses the Hydraulic System on page 231

Monaco HWH Solenoid Valve Replacement & Positions Noble III.pdf HWH Service Bulletin.pdf

moxy1962
1 hour ago, wayne.cerven@gmail.com said:

No, just carrying it as a spare, some fittings, extra line and plugs. Something happens somewhere at least we have some parts.

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

An air line pinching tool is handy as well

wayne.cerven@gmail.com

You bet, vise grips and electrical tape was a must when we were hauling logs!

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

Polar Bear Tour??
Bob Nodine
On 7/11/2021 at 6:50 AM, DVerstra said:

We did the tour with Fantasy RV a few years ago. Our two Corgis were treated well by the campground owner in Thompson. She walked them and fed them. Saw a great Northern Lights display one night. Saw only two bears since it was early in the season. One at a distance and one close up.

Good to hear because I am sure our dog would prefer to stay in familiar soundings. We were also looking at Fantasy RV because we have used them in the past. Thanks for your help.

17 hours ago, birdshill123 said:

We live in Manitoba. I would be cautious booking a tour tight now. Climate change is having extreme effects on that area. Might not be any bears to see. I don't follow the North very much but there has been trouble with the railroad. I do know that they could sure use the tourist business with all the closed borders.

Bruce,

Have not seen you around for awhile. You once were very active over on iRv2. Guess I don't have room to talk because we have not posted much lately. We were planning on 2022 or 2023 and going as late as practical because of the warming trend at the pole. We will keep our ear to the ground for trends up there.

Ray Davis

deleted

Steven P
5 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

deleted

I saw your question before it was deleted.  This was what I used. 

Screenshot_20210714-071927_Chrome.jpg

Polar Bear Tour??
birdshill123

Hi Bob. Have not been able to use our unit due to the pandemic and closed borders.  I will watch gor Churchill news and post anything relevant . 

Ray Davis
2 minutes ago, Steven P said:

I saw your question before it was deleted.  This was what I used. 

Screenshot_20210714-071927_Chrome.jpg

Thanks Steven,   I asked then decided we all knew the answer.   

What I found was you can't just completely delete a message you have to at least put the word delete in before it will accept the delete.

Jester1

Pretty sure you have to have 50 amps for these coaches. It is very hard on the transfer switch and inverter. Had to replace my inverter because I didn’t pay attention and plugged into a 30amp and tried it.

willbo777

I doubt you could run 1 AC on 20 amp, maybe if nothing else was on.

Slide creeps in
Poohbear

I don’t think the back 2 slides are hyd. The front 2 are I can here the pump running when I let them out but the back ones I can’t here a pump only slide real quiet but I could be wrong I will check it out. Thanks guys. I will let y’all know when I figure it out.

Micro-air Thermostat
wamcneil
18 hours ago, Duey59 said:

... we are trying to replace only one of the units. 

Dometic sells a retrofit board for the new AC that makes it work with the old CCC. Save the normal board and then change the thermostat when you replace the other AC.

Cheers,

Walter

Micro-air Thermostat
amphi_sc

I bought a MicroAir at FMCA Perry '21 but haven't tried it yet.  However when at the booth it appeared there were different models to replace depending on what you had ... 5 button or new CCC2 type units or Coleman vs Dometic. IMHO (which could be wrong), if you have Heat Pumps, the Penguin reversing valve is controlled differently depending on old vs new II model.  If it is not a Heat Pump but only A/C then as there is no reversing valve so there may be no difference.  In my case, as I had replaced the front HP (that is the only unit on the front thermostat) with a Penguin II and I had no wall space for the HUGE CCC2, I originally opted to put in the HP conversion control board and keep the 5 button.  But in that arrangement that front unit is very loud as the fan runs either very very very max loud or just a tad slower but still loud on lower fan setting.  Thus I was going to try putting the the original new Penguin II board back in and the MicroAir model specifically for a Penguin II that would fit the wall space of the 5 button and hopefully get the three speed fan settings.  But it's been too hot to get around to it.

So remembering what that vendor booth had with pictures of existing thermostats to pick the "right" model of MicroAir, I do not believe one MicroAir could control a mix of new and old Penguin HPs on the same thermostat without also modifying the new Penguin II with the back level conversion control board to work with the back level model of the MicroAir as to my knowledge there is no control board to make an old HP speak the new protocol to match the other new replacement HP on a same thermostat.  So when you get to the point of replacing the other old HP unit, now you are stuck having to get another back level conversion board for the new replacement, or a different (new) model of the MicroAir and put the original first Penguin II control board back into the first unit you replaced.  I THINK it is a catch 22....

FWIW

Chuck B

You are doing good to run 1 roof air on 20 amps with nothing else being powered.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Scotty Hutto

The “pop” is the Intellitec system doing what it’s designed to do - manage the load.  It has a relay at each AC unit and if the total coach power exceeds 20A (assuming you have it set to 20A and not the default 30A), it turns off one of the ACs to keep from overloading the shore power system. 

Even if set to 30A, it will likely shed load when the second AC comes on.  Each AC unit typically uses about 14A, so just normal lights, etc, plus 1 AC unit will run on 20A, but add a second AC and you blow through both 20A and 30A, so it sheds load. 

The Intellitec is controlled by a board usually located in the breaker panel. 

Hope that’s helpful. 

Chuck B

You also need to check to see if you have a Todd/Toddco black color power transfer switch.  If you do, you need to unplug your coach from Any shore power.  Monaco had a recall on that PTS because it will cause a fire in your coach.  Since Monaco is no longer in business, the cost of replacement is on you.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

waterskier_1
2 hours ago, Jester1 said:

Pretty sure you have to have 50 amps for these coaches. It is very hard on the transfer switch and inverter. Had to replace my inverter because I didn’t pay attention and plugged into a 30amp and tried it.

Your inverter is not in the circuit (unless rewired) ought the A/Cs.  The shore power goes through the transfer signal to the main breaker panel and then thru the individual circuit breaker for the A/C.  You don't need an inverter for A/C.

Dr4Film

When hooked to any shore power that is less than 30 amps, you need to push the button at the bottom of the Intellitec display that says "30/20 Select".

Then you need to go to your Inverter Setup and choose the LOWEST setting for battery charge rate. This will allow the most use of the small amount of amps available to use inside the coach.

However, even a 20 amp service will not allow you to use a full 20 amps.

One AC will use over 15 amps to start up unless you have Soft Starts installed in your AC's and when running it should be about 13 amps.

To run TWO AC's you need a minimum of 30 amps with Soft Starts installed.

Rick A

Pretty simple: 20 amps is barely enough to run a kettle. Trying to run 3 aircons on 20 amps is insane. A little basic electric knowledge is essential. There is a chart in the manual that explains this concept.

GPS
cbr046
On 7/13/2021 at 7:22 AM, 6Wheels said:

How do you like the Garmin?

I don't the differences from an RV 890 but I have an RV770 . . . .

In autoroute it sometimes takes me waayyyy out of the way, sometimes an hour, for routes I used to travel without the "RV" route.  No low overheads, no overweight bridges, no narrow roads.  Maybe there's paid advertisers on the longer route 😉 .  I might be retired but I don't have THAT much time!

In autoroute the GPS will show a rendering of the exit / turn.  If scrolling through turns in the route it shows a rendering of every exit / turn.  Very realistic. 

When looking at the big picture there's very little detail (detail level is at max setting).  It will show the outline of a town but no name.  Same for roads - just squiggles, no names (or #). 

When missing a turn or intentionally going off route it re-calculates pretty fast.  Well, compared to my StreetPilot III 🐢

With no route programmed it doesn't tell me how far to the next exit.  Exit x - yyyy road ahead, but no mileage.  nit picking but nice to know . . .

But it DID replace the previous GPS, a Garmin Streetpilot III Color, so that says something (like not having to reprogram the maps for long distance trips).  RV770 contains the entire US (as all modern GPSs do).  SP3 w 128MB card will only cover most of the SE US, and host software isn't compatible with Win 7 or Win 10.  I have to keep a machine with Win XP, which Microsoft disabled all browsers for (security issue).  It's painful getting old . . . .

It's challenging to find stops (food, gas, etc.) along the way.  Streetpilot III is much much easier (but map data is 20+ yrs old).  Google to the rescue. 

Many times I'll check the route with Google Maps as a 2nd source.  Highly recommend!

- bob

GPS
jacwjames

I have the 760 Garmin.  When I was trying to figure out how to mount it I got a little creative,

My wife had an acrylic type tissue box holder, I confiscated it and mounted it using a piece of metal conduit where the Cobra CB hand held mic was mounted.  I then used silicone and mounted a round piece of plexiglass large enough for the suction cup on the GPS mount.  I mounted this on the side of the holder.  There is enough room on the inside of the holder to mount my TPMS display.  Behind that I have a remote display for the Samsung temp monitor so I can monitor temp while driving.  I can clip my cell phone holder on the side which also holds a pair of sunglasses.  In the back I have a second wireless monitor for my passenger side when I'm backing up.  The whole thing swivels so my wife can access the GPS if needed while I drive.  Works very well and it is more convenient/accessible for me.   

GPS Mount.jpg

Front Air Tank pressure ? (sender or receiver) issue
stacyhall

2006 Monaco Camelot 42DSQ

new to us as of may this year and the dealer (National Indoor) said here is the part for the front (TOP) air pressure gauge, it is easy you can replace it yourself...  Part 360004

Have it being serviced at a Diesel shop and they put it in and now it works but is reading backwards...they tried the wires both ways.  Shop says they have switches that can be senders and receivers, he is sure we have a wrong part....

Called REV group 1.5 hours on hold they come back and say it is part # 10102659 and they have it in stock, i pull it up on their site while on the phone and that part says oil sender and looks nothing like our original one (which is attached to this).  I asked about the difference in the type of switch and his reply was...YEAH I KNOW BUT THAT IS IT.  

https://parts.revgroup.com/item-detail?itemId=474228&organizationId=9

Only marking on the original part is a # 7437 (you can see it in the photo)

Ideas anyone, REV is at lunch now and I really hate to hold for 1.5 hours again.

pressure switch.jpg

Jim Byrd

The sending unit is no more than a variable resister with one end connected to ground through the sensing unit and the there end connected to the insulated terminal on the sending unit which is connected to the "S" terminal on the analogue gauge.

The only way that the analogue gauge could read backward would be if the polarity would have to been reversed on the gauge,  This could have happen when they were troubleshooting the problem.

Also make sure that the pointer on analogue gauge is position on the correct side of the mechanical stop on the gauge face. When I was changing the oil pressure sending unit on my coach I had the pointer jump to the wrong side of the mechanical stop and the pointer couldn't move.  I had to drill a small hole in the back of the instrument and flip the pointer on the opposite of the mechanical stop.

Jim

Jim

Ivan K

The pressure sensor they try to sell you is more than $200 overpriced and it is not what you need anyway. Incredible markup.

stacyhall
16 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

The pressure sensor they try to sell you is more than $200 overpriced and it is not what you need anyway. Incredible markup.

i know right...what the mark up!  when he tried to close me with shall i ship it now, i was like, umm i will have the shop order it, i dont know their address 🙂

1 hour ago, Jim Byrd said:

The sending unit is no more than a variable resister with one end connected to ground through the sensing unit and the there end connected to the insulated terminal on the sending unit which is connected to the "S" terminal on the analogue gauge.

The only way that the analogue gauge could read backward would be if the polarity would have to been reversed on the gauge,  This could have happen when they were troubleshooting the problem.

Also make sure that the pointer on analogue gauge is position on the correct side of the mechanical stop on the gauge face. When I was changing the oil pressure sending unit on my coach I had the pointer jump to the wrong side of the mechanical stop and the pointer couldn't move.  I had to drill a small hole in the back of the instrument and flip the pointer on the opposite of the mechanical stop.

Jim

Jim

sent the shop your suggestion and they said that was impossible to happen since is a one wire sending unit....back to on hold with rev

Jim Byrd

You can get the sending unit from NAPA,

stacyhall

good news/bad news...REV group finally found me the right part #...bad news no longer available...good news they have a manufacturer part # Beede127437...bad news Beede out of business.... good new Amazon has one $43.00

Thank you to everyone who helped with my issue. 

image0.jpeg

No 12 volt driver side
Rivrman2

2007 Monaco Diplomat. 

No 12 volt down the right side of the coach. Any suggestions? Tia

No 12 volt driver side
John Haggard
14 minutes ago, Rivrman2 said:

2007 Monaco Diplomat. 

No 12 volt down the right side of the coach. Any suggestions? Tia

Inside or outside 

No 12 volt driver side
Rivrman2

Inside 

No 12 volt driver side
John Haggard
Just now, John Haggard said:

Inside or outside 

My fuse box for interior DC is in the bedroom 

Very well marked. 

Check those fuses 

Just now, John Haggard said:

My fuse box for interior DC is in the bedroom 

Very well marked. 

Check those fuses 

Your may be in your bathroom?

I don't know 😕🤷

Micro-air Thermostat
Duey59

Thanks for all the input. Will update when I get more info from mfg. 

No 12 volt driver side
Ivan K

Our coach got 2 salesman solenoids in the rear and I never had to find out which one supplies what because I bypassed them both - but it would be a place to check out if your interior fuses are good. Don't know about differences between yours an ours...

No 12 volt driver side
John Haggard
27 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

Our coach got 2 salesman solenoids in the rear and I never had to find out which one supplies what because I bypassed them both - but it would be a place to check out if your interior fuses are good. Don't know about differences between yours an ours...

My salesman switch cut both sides down.

He states that just one side is off.

No 12 volt driver side
Ivan K
10 minutes ago, John Haggard said:

My salesman switch cut both sides down.

He states that just one side is off.

Agreed, but this single switch operates 2 separate solenoids feeding different circuits, at least in my case, yours possibly also since ours are close vintage. Not sure about his.

No 12 volt driver side
John Haggard
Just now, Ivan K said:

Agreed, but this single switch operates 2 separate solenoids feeding different circuits, at least in my case, yours possibly also since ours are close vintage. Not sure about his.

I bypassed both also Ivan.

His would only have one solenoid as I can recall?

No 12 volt driver side
Larry H

On my 2001 Dynasty, I thought one of the solenoids in the back panel was associated with the salesman switch at the front door and all the 12 volt inside the coach; the other one associated with the chassis. One potential source of the problem could be a bad ground wire to the left side. Have you looked at the wiring diagrams to see if left and right sides have different ground. Or take a piece of wire and put it from something grounded to the grounded side of one of the light fixtures that is not working.

Slide creeps in
Ivylog

Rear passenger slide is hydraulic and the bed is mechanical. It’s actually good to hold the switch on (3-5 seconds)after the hydraulic slide stops moving…both directions.

Tow Dolly wanted
redstickbill

I am asking for a great granddaughter, does anyone in the Austin, TX area have a tow dolly for sale?

Bill B 07 Dynasty

IOTA ITS-50R
tmw188

Ok what’s the history, problems, and dangers with these transfer switches I heard mentioned on here? Working my way thru the coach looking at things. All wire connections in the box were tight and I didn’t notice any signs of heat damage. What are the issues with these. 

Slide creeps in
Bob Blackmon

2004 Signature Castle all four are hydraulic. 3 scissor with vertical rams and the large one with horizontal rams. You would need really good hearing to hear the rears. When they are in look around the corner.

Slides not working, keep blowing fuse
monacowner

Hi All,

My slides aren't working any more. Checked fuses and saw there was a 7.5a fuse labeled "rear slide" blown. Replaced it. Got the slides in, but can't get the out now. Every time I replace the fuse it arcs and blows. Any ideas?

IOTA ITS-50R
Dive Dive

Mine looked to be in perfect shape as well.  Then all of the sudden the generator side just quit working.    Luckily no other damage was caused so it was an easy swap and I was back up and running.  

IOTA ITS-50R
jacwjames

I just did a quick search of the Iota recall and found this

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2017/RCLRPT-17V597-7007.PDF

But I know this went back into the the early 2000's, in my case Monaco quit using the Iota during the 2002 year and in my case mine transfer case was the Lyght. 

If it were me I'd change the Iota, not really that much $$$ to change and worth the piece of mind.

NOTE, this is just one of many reported recalls.  I would not "literally" play with fire!!!!

IOTA ITS-50R
klcdenver

I don’t want to start anything but my 2007 had an IOTA. I just changed it out. See attached pic of one I removed. So at least in 2007 they still used IOTA.

8ADE60B3-CE26-449E-88FD-D3ACB815FCBE.jpeg

IOTA ITS-50R
Scotty Hutto

Todd,

I still have access to the old Monacoers email database and have counted 9 instances of Monacoers member's coaches having "meltdowns" of their Iota ITS-50R.  Keystone and Navistar (who owned Monaco at the time) issued a voluntary recall of coaches made while Navistar owned Monaco.  Unfortunately, coaches build prior to Monaco Coach Corporation's bankruptcy and acquisition by Navistar in 2008-9 were not included in the recall.  

Rather than share my opinion, I'll simply post the text for the NHTSA Campaign Number 12V060000.

I replaced mine.  There is another thread all about replacement options, so I won't belabor that here.

Scotty

NHTSA Campaign Number: 12V060000

Manufacturer NAVISTAR, INC

Components ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

Potential Number of Units Affected 249

Summary

NAVISTAR IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2008-2010 BEAVER AND CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2009-2011 MONACO, AND CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2009-2011 HOLIDAY RAMBLER RECREATIONAL VEHICLES, MANUFACTURED FROM OCTOBER 25, 2007, THROUGH AUGUST 26, 2010, EQUIPPED WITH IOTA ITS-50R 50 AMP AUTOMATIC TRANSFER SWITCHES. THE IOTA ITS-50R 50 AMP AUTOMATIC TRANSFER SWITCH BUS BAR AND/OR ELECTRICAL CONNECTIONS MAY BE INADEQUATE TO HANDLE THE ELECTRICAL LOAD.

Remedy

NAVISTAR WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE IOTA ITS-50R TRANSFER SWITCH FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON MARCH 15, 2012. OWNERS MAY CONTACT NAVISTAR AT 1-800-448-7825.

Notes

NAVISTAR'S RECALL NUMBER IS 12504. CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

IOTA ITS-50R
tmw188

So what are good replacements. The LYGHT  LPT50BRD? 
So is this a touchy subject? It obviously must have a history of discussion. One of you said you didn’t want to start anything and the other said you didn’t want to give your opinion? I am looking for opinions and I will change it. Thanks for the info on the recalls Scotty and James.

IOTA ITS-50R
Scotty Hutto

The two most popular on this board are the ESCO LPT50BRD (in your post above) and the Southwire 40100.  I have the ESCO, but if I had to do it again (and I hope I never do) would likely go with the Southwire.

@Tom CherryTom Cherry provides excellent advice about changing the Iota to a ESCO.  Search the board for "transfer switch" and look for his name by the post 😉 

IOTA ITS-50R
dirtydeeds

Is everybody changing them on their own? Or having a shop do it? How much should a shop charge?

IOTA ITS-50R
Jim Byrd

When choosing a replacement make sure the wiring enters the enclosure are in the same relative position and that the attachment terminals within the enclosure are in a position for the existing wiring to reach.  My preference is to fine a replace that has a terminal block to make all external connections  vs one that has connection on several different components within the enclosure.

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.