Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/484-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Slide creeps in
Poohbear
IOTA ITS-50R
tmw188
Tow Dolly wanted
Ray Davis
Slides not working, keep blowing fuse
monacowner
Power cuts out 2004 Monaco Diplomat
seadoo200hp
klcdenver
No 12 volt driver side
bobdinsmore
Tow Dolly wanted
redstickbill
IOTA ITS-50R
Chuck B
CB antenna replacement
ktloah
CB antenna replacement
DavidL
No 12 volt driver side
brokenarrow1244
CB antenna replacement
Dr4Film
CB antenna replacement
ktloah
CB antenna replacement
Mike H
CB antenna replacement
ktloah
No 12 volt driver side
brokenarrow1244
Bill D's Monacoers' Gathering Update!!
David Pratt
brokenarrow1244
Entrance Door Noise
brokenarrow1244
No 12 volt driver side
John Haggard
Scotty Hutto
CB antenna replacement
Mike H
CB antenna replacement
ktloah
Headlights Stuck on High Beam
klcdenver
IOTA ITS-50R
Gary M
CB antenna replacement
Ivan K
ISB 5.9 water pump
Jim McGarvie
Mystery Wire - Coach Step ?
fredelkamp
IOTA ITS-50R
Scotty Hutto
IOTA ITS-50R
Gary M
BobSchmeck
80R vs 75R??
woodylmiller
fredelkamp
80R vs 75R??
Chargerman
80R vs 75R??
Ivan K
80R vs 75R??
vito.a
IOTA ITS-50R
tmw188
IOTA ITS-50R
Admirial RVr
No Low Beam Only High Beam
klcdenver

Slide creeps in
Poohbear

Ok I will , thanks for the replies, I just thought they sound electric but will have to dig a little deeper into it.

IOTA ITS-50R
tmw188
6 hours ago, Jim Byrd said:

When choosing a replacement make sure the wiring enters the enclosure are in the same relative position and that the attachment terminals within the enclosure are in a position for the existing wiring to reach.  My preference is to fine a replace that has a terminal block to make all external connections  vs one that has connection on several different components within the enclosure.

Oh that’s for sure Jim absolutely.  

Dr4Film

Sure sounds like you have a direct 12 VDC short to ground somewhere in your slide system. Possibly one or more of your electric slide motors have shorted.

Tow Dolly wanted
Ray Davis
monacowner

Thanks Richard. Only one of the slides (the rear) is electric. The other two are hydraulic. I will check that out and also it was suggested to look at the buttons to check for frayed wires. I'll post back here and let y'all know the outcome!

seadoo200hp

You must like your inside ice cold..  I haven't seen a Diplomat of 2004 vintage with 3 roof A/C's.  I know this modification can be done but the original system isn't set up for 3 roof A/C's.  You need 50 Amps for 2 roof top A/C's to run full on.

klcdenver

Try getting to each slide motor and disconnect the electric to them. Put a fuse in then and see if it blows. If it blows immediately then you probably have a direct short prior to the switches.  If this happens then get to each switch and remove the hot leg and put a fuse in. If it does not blow then Reconnect each slide motor one at a time and operate that slide to narrow down the culprit slide. Like Dr4Film said likely a motor shorted out.

No 12 volt driver side
bobdinsmore

If the above suggestions do not work, you may want to check if there is a disconnected wire in the daisy-chained wiring for the driver side (in his case of Rivrman2's case it would have to be the connection closest to the fuse, circuit beaker).  Just a long shot, but this was what I found when only of a portion of the ceiling lights on my coach was dark.

Tow Dolly wanted
redstickbill

Thanks Ray, I will pass the information along to my great granddaughter.

Bill B 07 Dynasty

IOTA ITS-50R
Chuck B

When you switch the neutral instead of the two 120 vac wires, if the two 120 vac wires are drawing a lot of amps at the time of the switching, the amp draw will cause the transfer switch to heat up and catch on fire.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

CB antenna replacement
ktloah

Fellow glampers, does anyone know where to purchase a replacement CB antenna for a 04 Dynasty? Searched online but can't seem to find one that is short enough for the roof...thanks

CB antenna replacement
DavidL

Google search is your friend.  So is Amazon.

Depends on if you have a metal "plane" in the roof.  And what height, and are you reusing existing mount, what size stud that is, etc.

Pictures of what you are trying to do would help.

No 12 volt driver side
brokenarrow1244

I had a similar experience and found one of the circuit breakers on  the side of my  inverter had popped out. Not easy to see, has a little white line on it and it is mounted in the space behind the storage area with a sliding black plastic door. Mine is mounted opposite the water heater and fresh water pump. ( odd to me! )

The breakers do handle left side and rt side. Good luck, it can be mysterious,,

CB antenna replacement
Dr4Film

Back in the "convoy" days when CB's were VERY popular I used a K-40 antenna for my car as they were one of the best back then. I'm sure technology has improved significantly where there is something better and smaller.

10-4 good buddy! What's your 20?

CB antenna replacement
ktloah

Thanks Rich, be heading out for bike week in SD with 5 other coaches, and feel its better to communicate by CB. I always used a "firestik" but I need close to the original for height purposes only...

Thanks Dave, I'll  get my ladder out and post a picture 

CB antenna replacement
Mike H

Has yours gotten broken off and if so , where (above the spring?).  Mine got broken off hitting a tree branch and had a hard time trying to find out what the height of the original one was.  I did some research and I think it's supposed to be like 21" or 22".  You could cut an old antenna or use some HD SS wire.  I can measure mine if that will help.

CB antenna replacement
ktloah

20210715_122640.thumb.jpg.d9957b5f2c2703ccd4f70920a01223f8.jpg

20210715_122619.jpg

Hey Mike, here are some pics of what I have. Spring is rusted and not sure if I can replace just spring?!

No 12 volt driver side
brokenarrow1244

Additionally, I have experienced GFI causing loss of power to specific areas another place to consider. That 20 amp supply may have caused new problems. I would smell test the 50 amp circuit board area to be sure you didn't smoke something.

Bill D's Monacoers' Gathering Update!!
David Pratt

The Contract with Lazydays for the 2022 Gathering Registration Fee is an all Inclusive price that includes your Site, Seminars and the Evening Buffets for the Entire Gathering's Five days and includes discounts and amenities and are contingent on a minimum of 50 coaches attending that otherwise would not be included in Lazydays regular site charges.

I would suggest that you call Lazydays and discuss your situation and see if something can be worked out. You will want to speak to either Rebecca Proper or Brooke Daley at 813-246-4999. They are our event Coordinators and may be able to help you.

I cannot change the contract or make that call.

brokenarrow1244

Here is what my board looked like, I believe it was due to a power surge while using ac with gen start up.

20150928_153738.jpg

Entrance Door Noise
brokenarrow1244

late thanks, i replaced and it helps about 75%

No 12 volt driver side
John Haggard
43 minutes ago, brokenarrow1244 said:

Additionally, I have experienced GFI causing loss of power to specific areas another place to consider. That 20 amp supply may have caused new problems. I would smell test the 50 amp circuit board area to be sure you didn't smoke something.

Now are we talking AC or DC ???

I thought DC issues 🤔

Taking a long trip, what parts to bring along
Gary Cole

One has to be a Philadelphia lawyer/Mathematician in order to calculate maximum gross weight. With a yearly permit some trucks weigh in at 129,000 lbs and more depending on the state. Oregon, being crazy, allows a natural gas powered truck a 2000 lb bonus. 

Scotty Hutto
1 hour ago, brokenarrow1244 said:

Here is what my board looked like, I believe it was due to a power surge while using ac with gen start up.

20150928_153738.jpg

Yikes!  That would cause a “pop” AND let the magic smoke out!

John Haggard
31 minutes ago, Gary Cole said:

One has to be a Philadelphia lawyer/Mathematician in order to calculate maximum gross weight. With a yearly permit some trucks weigh in at 129,000 lbs and more depending on the state. Oregon, being crazy, allows a natural gas powered truck a 2000 lb bonus. 

A 2,000 lb political feel good allowance 

Gary Cole

So true, However, the one natural gas powered semi in the state is feeling pretty good about it.

CB antenna replacement
Mike H
1 hour ago, ktloah said:

20210715_122640.thumb.jpg.d9957b5f2c2703ccd4f70920a01223f8.jpg

20210715_122619.jpg

Hey Mike, here are some pics of what I have. Spring is rusted and not sure if I can replace just spring?!

OK, yours is only bent, not broken.  If you're worried about functionality on your trip I wouldn't worry about it to much.  For what you'll be using it for it will work fine.  If you want it to look better you can find something at most any T/A, Loves, Flying J.  The spring doesn't do anything except to try and keep the mast from getting bent.  In my case it appears I hit a branch low enough on the mast that it got sheared off at the top of the base so I just came up with a new mast I cut down from an old antenna I had.  Heck, you might be able to even dig something up at your local sharing center or Goodwill.

CB Antenna_01.png

CB Antenna_02.png

If you really want a replacement spring they are available on line or you might try WalMart.  Do you know any HAM's near you?  Motorcycles use a short CB antenna as well.

Screenshot 2021-07-15 144149.jpg

CB antenna replacement
ktloah

Thanks for the great info....will try to replace the spring....

Rick A

Awh, that’s a sad picture! 

Air Bag part numbers 2003 Knight 34 PDD
Ddilly

Hello all,

Brand new owners of a well used coach and we lost an airbag this week traveling across the I-40. Hoping someone has the part numbers so I can order them before I take it apart.   We already searched the parts section.

2003 Monaco Knight 34 PDD

Thanks in advance,

Dillenberger Family 

Gerald H

If you contact Monaco Rev and give them your vin number they can tell you what you need to know 

Ddilly

Great thank you!

Headlights Stuck on High Beam
klcdenver

My headlights are stuck on high beam and low beams are not on at all. Fuses and relays in electric bay on drivers side all check good and have been swapped out. I can hear relay inside dash click when I press the high low beam on smart wheel. High beams flash when the Flash button on smart wheel is pressed. All the other functions on smart wheel are working. I removed all power and restored and same results. Could it be the manual switch on the dash? Good ideas appreciated.

2007 Diplomat 40SKQ

Thanks,

Kenneth

IOTA ITS-50R
Gary M
20 hours ago, Scotty Hutto said:

Todd,

I still have access to the old Monacoers email database and have counted 9 instances of Monacoers member's coaches having "meltdowns" of their Iota ITS-50R.  Keystone and Navistar (who owned Monaco at the time) issued a voluntary recall of coaches made while Navistar owned Monaco.  Unfortunately, coaches build prior to Monaco Coach Corporation's bankruptcy and acquisition by Navistar in 2008-9 were not included in the recall.  

Rather than share my opinion, I'll simply post the text for the NHTSA Campaign Number 12V060000.

I replaced mine.  There is another thread all about replacement options, so I won't belabor that here.

Scotty

NHTSA Campaign Number: 12V060000

Manufacturer NAVISTAR, INC

Components ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

Potential Number of Units Affected 249

Summary

NAVISTAR IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2008-2010 BEAVER AND CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2009-2011 MONACO, AND CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2009-2011 HOLIDAY RAMBLER RECREATIONAL VEHICLES, MANUFACTURED FROM OCTOBER 25, 2007, THROUGH AUGUST 26, 2010, EQUIPPED WITH IOTA ITS-50R 50 AMP AUTOMATIC TRANSFER SWITCHES. THE IOTA ITS-50R 50 AMP AUTOMATIC TRANSFER SWITCH BUS BAR AND/OR ELECTRICAL CONNECTIONS MAY BE INADEQUATE TO HANDLE THE ELECTRICAL LOAD.

Remedy

NAVISTAR WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE IOTA ITS-50R TRANSFER SWITCH FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON MARCH 15, 2012. OWNERS MAY CONTACT NAVISTAR AT 1-800-448-7825.

Notes

NAVISTAR'S RECALL NUMBER IS 12504. CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

So does that mean I can get mine replaced still or not. 

Paul A.
1 hour ago, Ddilly said:

Great thank you!

Here is a handy link;   https://www.monacocoach.com/technical-assistance.  

Some Sources for Air Bags. AKA Air Springs

Ddilly

Thanks Paul 

CB antenna replacement
Ivan K

Yours looks like an isolated spring, not being electrically part of the antenna. Check it out when you take it off. In that case the Amazon part above may not be a good choice unless you shorten the whip. Hard to tell from the pic but if it adds to the electrical lenght, wave length is important if you are serious and want it tuned right.

ISB 5.9 water pump
Jim McGarvie

My mechanic was trouble-shooting something else and noticed coolant leaking from the water pump weep hole. I think that means I need to replace the pump pretty soon, before the leak reaches the pump bearing.

Is this the same pump as on the Dodge pickup with that engine? And how big a job is it to replace in the motorhome application?

Thanks.

Jim

fredelkamp

While trying to find out why my Coach Step won't retract I found this wire dangling in the passenger side of the generator cavity. But I am unable to find where or what it may attach too. I'm hopping it the answer to my step problem, but either way I'm sure it should be connected to something.

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0393.jpg

IOTA ITS-50R
Scotty Hutto

It would be worth a call to Navistar…

IOTA ITS-50R
Gary M

Thanks Scotty

BobSchmeck

That looks an awful like my backup camera plug-in.  Bet it was for an optional side camera.  

80R vs 75R??
woodylmiller

Tire chart says 295 80R 22.5.  Can find plenty of 75R's, but very few if any 80R's.  1 inch difference in diameter.  Will throw the speedometer off a little, but any other problems?  A little less ground clearance.  How many others have forgone the proper 80R tires and gone with the 75R's and any problems?  thanks,

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty Regal IV

fredelkamp
3 minutes ago, BobSchmeck said:

That looks an awful like my backup camera plug-in.  Bet it was for an optional side camera.  

Thanks, Both my side camera work as does my backup camera, and by the video quality they are all original. You can actually see the backup camera wire in the bottom of the first picture.

80R vs 75R??
Chargerman

The 295/80 is a very popular tire. I’m surprised you are not finding many. Be sure to check load ratings on the 75 and compare it to the 80 before purchasing. I would stay with the factory size

80R vs 75R??
Ivan K

I don't know where you are but I picked up a couple of M144s two weeks ago at a local tire shop outside Dallas. He had them next day after I called and did not sound like they were hard to get. And they are dated Apr. 2021 and don't smell 🙂

Have you checked the pressure table for 75R? Reason I went with 80R for steers. 

80R vs 75R??
vito.a

The 75R series tire usually has a lower weight rating.  I agree with Steven, the 80R series are more common.  

Try here, 24 results.

Shop for 295/80R22.5 Tires for Your Vehicle | SimpleTire

IOTA ITS-50R
tmw188
1 hour ago, Gary M said:

Thanks Scotty

1 hour ago, Scotty Hutto said:

It would be worth a call to Navistar…

Let us all know what you find out. It would be nice, if you can trust someone else doing it and waiting two months to get it done. 

IOTA ITS-50R
Admirial RVr

Scotty,

What is different or better about the Southwire vs ESCO? 

Looking forward to what Monaco tell Gary.

Don

No Low Beam Only High Beam
klcdenver

My headlights are stuck on high beam and low beams are not on at all. Fuses and relays in electric bay on drivers side all check good and have been swapped out. I can hear relay inside dash click when I press the high low beam on smart wheel. High beams flash when the Flash button on smart wheel is pressed. All the other functions on smart wheel are working. I removed all power and restored and same results. Could it be the manual switch on the dash? Good ideas appreciated.

2007 Diplomat 40SKQ

Thanks,

Kenneth

monacowner

Thanks everyone for your help. It turned out that it was a dirtied bay switch. I have a leaking oil problem from my hydraulic system. Leaking all over the basement doors. Anyways, here is what I did to fix the slides problem:

I disconnected the two bay door switches that I thought might be the culprit (soaked in oil). No short!!! I put one bay switch back. It shorted. Then I knew which was the culprit. I put a jumper to join the two wires and now it's working. I will clean that switch out better and get it working again.

Thanks everyone. I hope this helps someone in the future!!!!

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.