2000 Dynasty Dash AC Compressor: not kicking on

The best part about the DIY mindset is you continually learn new skills and information. I have always pursued this mindset because when I do pay someone else to do a job I typically regret it and feel that I could have done the job myself at a lower cost and often times a higher quality end result.

This effort did not end with success in getting the AC working. It turned out that the vacuum pump loaner from O'Reilly Auto Parts was broken but that was determined only after 2 trips to my small town hardware store to try to fix it. On top of that I only realized once I dug into the whole process that the "parts professional" at O'Reilly had no understanding of what he was sending me out the door with and the manifold gauge set did not include the proper adapter for the small AC recharge cans.

I did gain lots of knowledge though. I understand all of the system components of a vehicle AC and where they are located, and I understand the process for swapping out the receiver/drier, low pressure switch as well as the process for checking vacuum and refilling properly.

Living remote has lots of wonderful benefits and I hope I never have to move from here... but one of the major downsides is that we don't have nearby conveniences and the travel time and expense get to those conveniences. O'Reilly at least did the right thing and credited me back everything including the vacuum pump oil that they said was non-refundable. They will be sending the pump back to the warehouse and getting a new one. We depart this weekend for a short trip so I don't have time to screw around anymore... it is 4 hours of back and forth travel to get to Cañon City to pickup and return the tools so I'll wait for another time when I can incorporate it with another run to make it more efficient.

Thank you all for your help and knowledge... and a silent shout out to my friend Van Williams who saw my post and talked me through a lot of this. That man is an incredible wealth of knowledge and always happy to share. So actually, this project has been a real success... I now feel comfortable getting the proper replacement parts and doing the job properly next time. You guys are all great, God bless you!

• Like 1