Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/489-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Radiator Mount Picture
Bob Nodine
Micro-air Thermostat
Steven P
Bast price on Koni shocks
Dr4Film
Oil Pan Replacement?
miacasa_2000
Going more RED on tail lights
John Haggard
Cursed G2000 awning will not extend
wamcneil
Dave Hinds
Radiator Mount Picture
Jim Byrd
Diplomat Duo Therm Heat pump problem
Scotty Hutto
vito.a
Mobley turns off after about 30 minutes.
waterskier_1
Ray Davis
Larry H
Oil Pan Replacement?
Ivylog
John Haggard
IOTA ITS-50R
Gary M
Ivan K
Front and Rear Air bag part numbers
Mike in Va
John Haggard
Engine Cooling
bobstromain
Engine Cooling
Ivylog
ktloah
How busy is it out West you asked.
ep120794
Engine Cooling
vito.a

Radiator Mount Picture
Bob Nodine
9 hours ago, Jim Byrd said:

The angle of your picture is just fine, but the rubber vibration damper are attached to the bottom of the horizontal member that the radiator sits on that is attached to the frame.

Jim

Jim,

Is this what you are looking for?

Rad_Support.jpg

Question On Replacing Ride Height Control Valve
Hypoxia
11 hours ago, redeye0315 said:

I know the inherent dangers of doing so, chock the tires, drive it up on blocks, etc. New to me RV leaks down on driver side. Lately, I was under the rv adjusting the ride height and noticed the rear driver ride height control valve perpetually leaks air from the exhaust tube, so I bought a new one. My question - when I loosen the air lines going into the rear driver side ride height control valve, will the entire system deflate (all 4 corners) or just the rear corner bag?

Normally just that corner will lose air and deflate, however, the front will lean that way also since there is just one control valve up there.

How to sanitize '05 Beaver Fresh Water System
old5foot

Thanks to all who commented.

I now understand that filling a hose with bleach solution is pretty much the standard way to get it into the holding tank.

I have a submersible pump. Think I will sanitize it with bleach, then pump the bleach solution from a 5 gal. bucket thru a spare water hose.  

I am on well water, and the lack of Chlorine must be the culprit.  Will keep a dry Fresh water tank when it has well water in it from now on.

Thanks !

Doug

dl_racing427

PLEASE be sure to have the entire weight of the coach supported on jack stands before getting underneath, and ESPECIALLY when you're working on the air system.

Even if the tires are supported high enough, it can catch an arm in there when it suddenly drops.

Also, dropping air from one corner can easily twist the chassis, which usually breaks the windshield, or worse.

Micro-air Thermostat
Steven P

Just installed my new Micro-Air thermostat last night and am very satisfied with it.  The only issue I had was one screw broke off when mounting it to the wall plate.  Maybe if I had drilled a larger pilot hole?  Maybe the screws they send are cheap. My phone did tell me the app is frequently crashing and recs keeping the app closed when not using.  I have an android. But so far, so good. 

16267825701641975574128760888803.jpg

Dr4Film

Don't know what it would be today. I purchased mine years ago from Shox.com as they were the best deal at the time.

If I want to find the best deal for something that I plan to purchase I Google the product and look through pages and pages of choices also looking at shipping and tax coast for each one.

Dr4Film

Can you tell if AT&T had pushed a recent firmware update to your device?

Post what firmware version you are using and in the meantime I will look up what version my device is running.

David White

I think it is a good idea to remove the house water filters, or replace immediately after sanitizing.  I have read that the heavy chlorine will reduce the filter efficiency, and I think there is a residual odor from the treatment. That way, you have a good water supply.

Oil Pan Replacement?
miacasa_2000

I've had good luck with Marine tex gray seems for me a little thicker so easier to work with and more forgiving on adhesion especially when even though you'll probably drain the pan before repair some oil will still try to seep thru. With either one shine that pan up way past the rusty area and then rough it up for good adhesion  and spread over the whole shinny area repaint and you'll probably be fine for a long time at least in that spot. 

John Haggard

I decided I wanted more Red running and brake lights on the Aft of my Signature. 

So I ordered two Hella red and jumpered the wiring down to the bottom, third pair.

The two spots pictured 👌 at top provides plenty of backing lighting for my usage. 

20210712_174613.jpg

20210715_184924.jpg

20210715_192836.jpg

Cursed G2000 awning will not extend
wamcneil

I hope yours turns out to be that simple! I called them when mine acted up and those were the instructions they gave me too… 😕

Apparently they had a bunch of current limiter failures… but there are other failure points. 
cheers

Walter 

Dave Hinds

John where did you get the new red lenses at??  I have tried to find them to no avail...

Safe travels

Dave Hinds

2004 Monaco Signature

Radiator Mount Picture
Jim Byrd
2 hours ago, Bob Nodine said:

Jim,

Is this what you are looking for?

Rad_Support.jpg

Actually I not sure what I'm looking for. The radiator was remove from a shop in TX and once they removed it they determined it was more of a job than they wanted to take on.  The coach was the then towed to another shop where the  fan shroud was re positioned and the fan and radiator replaced.  Once I returned to WA I took the coach in for the body work to be done and the shop informed that they had discovered damaged rubber isolation mounts and that they would be needed to be replaced. I'm just trying to help them find the right parts. 

Thanks for you help.

Jim

Scotty Hutto
On 7/14/2021 at 8:33 AM, Ray Davis said:

What I found was you can't just completely delete a message you have to at least put the word delete in before it will accept the delete.  

Moderators can delete a message if you need that done. 😉. You *should* be able to delete…. I’ll check into that. 

vito.a

Very nice.  I also found that installing new bulbs made them brighter. 

Paul A.

We used watts.com products during our 10 years full timing. You may want to call them for suggestions to consider , concerning any issues or application of product for the fresh water system in a coach. 

waterskier_1

I believe that I read that AT&T had removed the option for the device to remain on indefinitely after stopping and shutting down the engine.  Originally, the device was to sense the >13 Volts of an alternator, and perform a delayed shutdown after the voltage dropped below that threshold.   Most of us have rewired the Mobley to allow constant 12 input.  A side effect of being in a coach is that the voltage is almost always >13 Volts, either by the alternator, or the float of the battery charger, so many never knew of this requirement.  I also remember reading a couple years ago, that the Mobley could sense movement - lack of movement - bouncing down the road.  Itwould initiate a shutdown just like it does for voltage <13 Volts when no movement was sensed.  I can remember shaking my Mosley when it when offline, and it would come alive again.  I only use mine in the coach, and I'm not a full-timer, so this was acceptable for the price.  This past year my Mobley had never (to my knowledge) shut down, so I don't know what the latest status is.  But rest assured, this is not an overheating problem, and you are not the only one experiencing (had experienced) this problem.  I doubt AT&T will be of any help - I suspect they can't wait for these to break and be done with the plan since so many have used it beyond its intended vision.   The replacement for the Mobley uses GPS and shuts off if it senses no movement in 15 minutes.   I'm not sure how that works in a traffic jam when you'd most likely want/ need WiFi.

Ray Davis
33 minutes ago, Scotty Hutto said:

Moderators can delete a message if you need that done. 😉. You *should* be able to delete…. I’ll check into that. 

Thanks Scotty,   I immediately decided against my question,  didn't want to be called out for digital diarrhea 😁   LOL   Some people have a problem with that

I couldn't delete fast enough, and Steven saw my post.   My plan to never be seen at all, was foiled.  Not a big deal, I didn't use profanity or any other forbidden words. 

Ivylog

Two 4X4 inserted between the H frame and the main frame will support that side of the MH. Drain the air out of both tanks before removing the ride height valve.

Larry H

If memory serves me, those are the same tail light used by a Ford or Chevy pickup from about 2000. I can’t remember the year or model. Does anyone know.?
     I have been having an issue of the bulbs no longer being tight in the socket. Does anyone have a solution other than replace all the sockets?

Oil Pan Replacement?
Ivylog

I ran into the same issue when replacing the seriously cracked aluminum oil pan on my ISX… had patched with JB enough to get home. I was able to change the angle of the hitch, raising the ball, which increased the clearance enough for the pan to come off. You can read about it here: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/replacing-isx-oil-pan-oh-what-a-pain-509290.html

John Haggard
2 hours ago, Dave Hinds said:

John where did you get the new red lenses at??  I have tried to find them to no avail...

Safe travels

Dave Hinds

2004 Monaco Signature

Will at

844 665 2291

Susquehanna motors.

Hella lights wholesale 

This is the second new set in 15 years for me.

I do have the two clear that I just removed.

30 days old 

House Batteries not charging while under way.
Dave16131

Hello all,

Chris Throgmartin refered me to this site. Have an issue all the sudden with my house batteries not charging off the engine alternator. The Generator kicked in while driving and the Aladin shows house discharging. It did blip back and forth a couple times but, still not working correctly. I'm wondering if the BIRD is bad. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

IOTA ITS-50R
Gary M
On 7/14/2021 at 8:35 PM, Scotty Hutto said:

Todd,

I still have access to the old Monacoers email database and have counted 9 instances of Monacoers member's coaches having "meltdowns" of their Iota ITS-50R.  Keystone and Navistar (who owned Monaco at the time) issued a voluntary recall of coaches made while Navistar owned Monaco.  Unfortunately, coaches build prior to Monaco Coach Corporation's bankruptcy and acquisition by Navistar in 2008-9 were not included in the recall.  

Rather than share my opinion, I'll simply post the text for the NHTSA Campaign Number 12V060000.

I replaced mine.  There is another thread all about replacement options, so I won't belabor that here.

Scotty

NHTSA Campaign Number: 12V060000

Manufacturer NAVISTAR, INC

Components ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

Potential Number of Units Affected 249

Summary

NAVISTAR IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2008-2010 BEAVER AND CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2009-2011 MONACO, AND CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2009-2011 HOLIDAY RAMBLER RECREATIONAL VEHICLES, MANUFACTURED FROM OCTOBER 25, 2007, THROUGH AUGUST 26, 2010, EQUIPPED WITH IOTA ITS-50R 50 AMP AUTOMATIC TRANSFER SWITCHES. THE IOTA ITS-50R 50 AMP AUTOMATIC TRANSFER SWITCH BUS BAR AND/OR ELECTRICAL CONNECTIONS MAY BE INADEQUATE TO HANDLE THE ELECTRICAL LOAD.

Remedy

NAVISTAR WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE IOTA ITS-50R TRANSFER SWITCH FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON MARCH 15, 2012. OWNERS MAY CONTACT NAVISTAR AT 1-800-448-7825.

Notes

NAVISTAR'S RECALL NUMBER IS 12504. CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

Navistar could not pull up my Vin # as part of the recall. Next is REV to call!

Dave16131

Apologize, a quick glance at recent posts and I found useful information on the BIRD. It may be the Big Boy relay, I'll have to do some trouble shooting using the info I found in a different post. House batts do charge when plugged in. Thanks!

Ivan K

An other option depending on going price

Screenshot_20210720-113038_Chrome.jpg

daveyjo

I have city water at home, which is chlorinated, and I fill and flush my system once with that and then refill with city water.  That's it.

Mike in Va

I am wanting to replace the front and rear air bags on my 2001 Holiday Rambler Ambassador rr4r motorhome. I'm trying to find the part numbers for them and I've sent Monaco an email but haven't heard back from them yet. I have contacted a garage to replace them for me but they said they will have to remove them to get the part numbers THEN put the old ones back on until the new ones come in because of shop space. I do have a few parts numbers but not sure if they are correct for my motorhome. They both are goodyear numbers, front w01-358-9586 rear w01-358-9587. Thanks for any help. 

John Haggard
30 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

An other option depending on going price

Screenshot_20210720-113038_Chrome.jpg

That's a good 👍price Ivan

Bill D's Monacoers' Gathering Update!!
rpasetto

Booked our reservation.

ncsteve

I would contact Source Engineering and get the Ride Enhancement Kit fir the R4R chassis. Comes with their airbags, custom tuned shocks and ping tank for the front. By far the best investment for the money fir improved ride and handling. Installed mine a couple of months ago and wow, what a difference in the ride.

http://sourcerv.com/

StellaTariche

Instead of bleach (Sodium Hypochlorite) which is (1) low on free chlorine and (2) adds a "salty" aftertaste to the tank plastic, try using a powdered pool shock treatment.  Much more effective, only needs to sit inside the tank and your internal plumbing for about 30 minutes.

The Calcium Hypochlorite option is the most efficient and cost-effective option. You can find it in either 65% or 73% strength.

When de-winterizing, once per season here is what I do:

1. Remove your filters and leave the empty cartridge holder in place.
  2. Dissolve about a tablespoon of the powder in a gallon of water
  3. Add to your system.
  4. Fill your fresh water tank completely, and drive your coach around for 10 minutes (so the chlorinated water will splash onto the top and sides of your tank.)
  5. Open all the faucets to get the mixture into lines. Close them all.
  6. Let set for 30 minutes.
  7. Open the faucets and drain into your grey water tank (might take a while, and require more than one dump of your grey water tank). Open the fresh water tank drain, and drain completely.
  8. When your fresh water tank is empty, partially fill with clean fresh water.  Drain the tank.
  9. Fill tank with fresh water.  Open faucets, run until clear of chlorine.

That will nuke you tank for the entire season.

I also installed a recirculating fresh water system in my coach. 

Every hour, it circulates the entire fresh water tank for about 8 minutes through the following process:

• 5 micron filter
  • 1 micron filter
  • sub-micron carbon block
  • Ultraviolet sterilizer

It uses a system from www.rvwaterfilterstore.com along with a UV sterilizer, a small 12v timer, a 12v normally closed valve, and a few extra hoses.

Note: you can use your existing pressure demand water pump - no need for an extra pump.

I nuke the system at the beginning of the season here in Colorado, then just add fresh water. I fill it back up each time before putting in summer storage. It is ready to go when I am.  Drain and disconnect in the winter. Very low maintenance.

The system runs 24x7, and the water quality is amazing - not just for the sink, but shower as well.  

System cost about $1000 total. 

Here is a photo of the system.  PM me for specifics John at Lead Free Design dot com

- John

RV water recirculating treatment - 1.jpeg

RV water recirculating treatment - 2.jpeg

RV water recirculating treatment - 3.jpeg

RV water recirculating treatment - 4.jpeg

RV water recirculating treatment - 5.jpeg

RV water recirculating treatment - 6.jpeg

RV water recirculating treatment - 7.jpeg

RV water recirculating treatment - 8.jpeg

RV water recirculating treatment - 9.jpeg

RV water recirculating treatment - 10.jpeg

RV water recirculating treatment - 11.jpeg

Route Planning to Mesa Verde NP via CO 160 west from I-25 junction
mandms59

Hello,

We are looking to add a trip leg out to Mesa Verde NP in Colorado on our travels southbound (Plan to stay at RV park just outside entrance). 

Looking for input from people who have traveled  CO 160 West from I-25 junction to Cortez, CO.  We will be leaving Colorado Springs prior to this leg in late September.  From my research it looks like 3 passes to go over to get to Cortez, with Wolf Creek being highest.  I have traveled over quite few 5K passes in the Diplomat but nothing in the 10K range before. 

For those that traveled this route:

(1) Were you towing (We have our 2016 Crosstrek TOAD)?  Or did you disconnect and travel separately over the passes?

(2) Is the scenery worth the drive on this route?

(3) Is there another recommended route in this area (Down thru NM?)

Thanks for your inputs

R/Mark

Ivylog

Have done Woolf Creek several times always towing…. 400 HP Dynasty and now 525. Would say it’s one of the easiest passes… only a couple switchbacks.

Yes, it’s worth the drive!

Ivylog

Measure the voltage on both sides of the BigBoy’s lugs with the engine running. Voltage should be almost exactly the same of the BigBoy is warm to the touch…shows it’s energized. Cleaning the contacts is fairly easy if the voltage isn’t the same.

2000 Dynasty Dash AC Compressor: not kicking on
Mary & Glenn

I decided to try to get my dash AC working. For the past 8 years we typically stayed away from real hot weather so I never bothered. I assumed it needed a freon charge so I started there. I started adding some and then realized that the compressor clutch wasn't engaging. Checked the 20A fuse in the FRB and it's good. Checked the relay in the RRB and it seemed fine but just in case I swapped that out with a new relay. Checking the legs of the relay, I doesn't seem that I have power coming from the dash switch to the relay. Anyone have any clues if maybe a sensor is telling the system to not turn on the compressor?

Ray Davis

We have traveled CO 160 many times.  The only pass of any concern is Wolf Creek, we don't unhook but that's a personal choice. 

It's mostly 4 lanes of nice road   Just go down slow, and enjoy the scenery.

If you want scenery and like old trains ride the old narrow gauge steam train to Silverton from Durango.   It's a day trip with spectacular scenery.

cbr046

When you "started adding some" how many oz / lbs did you add?  how did you measure how much added? 

The compressor won't engage until there's sufficient charge in the system.

- bob

Ivylog

I would say it’s not as busy this summer compared to last summer in CO, WY, and now UT. We mainly dry camp without reservations, although this summer we booked 3 private CGs several weeks in advance as we are meeting up with our daughter and grands who are new at this and haven’t figured out dry camping in their 06 Navigator.

In the Tetons they paid $75/night and 2 miles away we paid $6 in our favorite USFS CG that was very busy last summer and not so much this summer… still busier than previous years when we’d never had to use the overflow area.

Currently we are at Bryce in a Private CG parked next to them. Normally we’d stay up the road a couple miles in a USFS CG that we checked on today…  several vacant sites we could get our 45’ in plus at 7000+’ the high today is 79 and lows in the mid 50s over the next week.

Nest week they booked the Private CG at Jacob Lake for the N Rim. We’ll wing it , getting to the USFS CG their by 9AM.  Unfortunately it takes reservations which limits the # of walk up sites.

Come on out as the temps have not been that hot as long as you camp above 7000’.

Gary M

Have done the 160 just going east to Durango then back down. Stayed at Mesa Verde RV park. Toad was and is 2014 Honda CRV.

Engine Cooling
bobstromain

Several months ago  I replaced the Danfoss Thermo Valve that controls fan speed on ISL 400.  The parameters for the new control was different from the original.  I was told that the new parameter was as required by cummins.   The engine now runs an average of 5 degrees warmer  (197-202)  between 202-203 the fan speeds up and it immediately cools down to 197 or so.  the transmission averages 200-202. I notice on some post some engines run considerably cooler.  I used to run average 195   Any comments appreciated  

Bob St. Romain

04 Windsor 

Engine Cooling
Ivylog

Newer EPA requirements are easier to meet at higher engine temps…probably why your temps are slightly higher. Your new #s are not that hot and I would not worry about a engine temp until it gets above 115.

vito.a

The Intellitec Big Boy relay is usually the culprit.  

You can remove it and clean the contacts on the inside.  I replaced mine with new and then cleaned up the old one and kept it as a spare.  I found a new one on eBay fairly reasonably priced.  

Attached are the Big Boy rebuild instructions.  

Big Boy Relay rebuild instructions.pdf

Mary & Glenn

First a disclaimer... I'm pretty experienced mechanically but I know zilch about AC systems. I picked up a few cans of freon at NAPA including one with a hose and pressure gauge so I'm not working with high precision equipment.

I turned on the dash AC and then connect to the system. The pressure is indicating about 80 psi but little to no freon seems to be going into the system.

MrAmbassador

Hi Mary/Glenn, Our AC was doing the same. Checked fuse and relay,  all good. There is a Thermostat Switch that is used to keep the Compressor from being damaged. It is located in the front where the Evaporator case is. Mine failed open so there was no power to relay and Compressor. You can find a replacement at NAPA or Frieghtliner. Study the attached diagram. Hope this is the problem. ja

34DF34AF-385D-49BF-B8DD-E816286CA984.jpeg

ktloah

Try Shock Whse....

ep120794

Is the air Smokey from the wires in Oregon and Idaho?

Engine Cooling
vito.a

If you are concerned you can install an adjustable wax valve fan controller.  It will allow you to set any temperature you want.  Both Cat and Detroit use the mechanical valve from the factory but Cummins uses the electronic controller. 

The mechanical wax valve is more reliable than the electronic valve.  

Lots of reading here:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/fan-stuck-wide-open-376611.html 

Ivylog
8 minutes ago, ep120794 said:

Is the air Smokey from the wires in Oregon and Idaho?

In Yellowstone and the Tetons…Yes.

In NW CO and UT… No.

Last few days and currently the wind is out of the south with rain.

Ivan K

80 psi is plenty high to turn the clutch on. Depending on ambient temp, your system might even be full and you will not be able to add any without it running. From what I read, you have an electrical issue to resolve first, between the dash switch and the relay and then to the clutch. No sense to try adding more until your clutch is running.

PeterSchweizer
54 minutes ago, Ivylog said:

In Yellowstone and the Tetons…Yes.

In NW CO and UT… No.

Last few days and currently the wind is out of the south with rain.

Glacier is smokey. We left there this am after 6 days of smokey views. Now In Coeur d Alene some s.oke.here to.

New Headlights
Mike in Va

A friend of mine just purchased  a 2004 Monoco Monarch SE and the headlights are yellowed and cracking. Can anyone help with where he can get replacements for them. Thanks

New Headlights
Ed Adair

We have a 2008 Diplomat and I believe mine are off of a 2007/8 Dodge truck. Looking at trucks around 2003/4 might be a good start to finding them.

wayne.cerven@gmail.com

Mike

For my 99 Signature Caesar Air spring same all around, have firestone on there now, the one I ordered for a spare (Brand name) Automann ,part # AB1DK20D-9376, Equivalent to the following

99-12P 477

W01 -358-9376

1R11-200

Hope this helps

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

redeye0315
8 hours ago, Ivylog said:

Two 4X4 inserted between the H frame and the main frame will support that side of the MH. Drain the air out of both tanks before removing the ride height valve.

I'm afraid I'm unsure what exactly the "H" frame is and where this space between the "H" frame and main frame exists. Could someone post a picture or a diagram with a photo?

Mary & Glenn
1 hour ago, MrAmbassador said:

Hi Mary/Glenn, Our AC was doing the same. Checked fuse and relay,  all good. There is a Thermostat Switch that is used to keep the Compressor from being damaged. It is located in the front where the Evaporator case is. Mine failed open so there was no power to relay and Compressor. You can find a replacement at NAPA or Frieghtliner. Study the attached diagram. Hope this is the problem. ja

This is great ja... Does the part in the picture look like what you replaced? If so, can that be removed without depressurizing the system?

Thanks a bunch, Glenn

IMG_5473.JPG

Follow-up question... if that is the thermostat switch, does anyone have any comments regarding my jumpering across the leads as a test to at least see if that allows the compressor to kick on?

...now that I look at this more I see that it is a stat and not actually connected into the pressurized tubing. Feeling like this it the suspect piece and would be great to test if the jumper idea passes muster with y'all.

New Headlights
Plaurin
Ivan K

You can plug a flat fuse into the connectors to bypass it for test. Assuming there is power coming to one of them, that would prove the clutch function.

New Headlights
klcdenver

Look at the bottom of the lens and you will find a number for them which is probably a TYC brand. Google it and you will find many of them for sale. The right and left have different numbers.

MrAmbassador

My problem was the thermostat to the left of the the low pressure switch, but since it does not look like it has a switch, I would venture to say that what you circled the low pressure switch is probably the problem. If failed it will not provide the voltage to the Compressor. If you have a volt meter turn the key on and check for 12 volts on both connections. You should have 12 volts on both sides. If you only have it on one side the switch is bad (80 psi of Freon is sufficient to activate the switch.  If the switch is ground switch, then just check the Ohms across the two connections. With the key on there should be some residence if it is good, if not it would show an open circuit which means it has failed. Temporarily you can disconnect the switch and place a jumper wire across the connections. Start your engine and check to see if your Compressor engages, if it does the low pressure switch is the problem. Please don’t run the AC long with the jumper, you will eventually damage the compressor. Hope this helps. ja

Paul Busch

My 05 sig wouldn’t turn the compressor until I un plugged it and jumped a hot and ground to the compressor and once it was spinning it would take a full charge and after fully charged it worked fine. I believe you are unable to charge it if the compressor isn’t running. I am sure more damage is done to these coaches from not being used.

paul

TigerMar

Hi Mark,

I have traveled this route on 3 trips from Flagstaff to Cortez to Pueblo on our way to Monument CO.  I drive a 2008 Dynasty 425 Cummins towing a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.  The only semi-tough summit is Wolf Creek, but I take it slow and it has always been relatively easy.  I think that part of Colorado is well worth the time and effort, but that is MHO.   

What engine do you have in your Diplomat?

Safe Travels what ever you decide!

Gary

Ivylog

The H frame (2X4” tubing)  is what holds the axle and the bottom of the 4 airbags. The 4X4s goes between the H frame tubing and the main rails inside of the airbags.

IOTA ITS-50R
Tom Cherry
8 hours ago, Gary M said:

Navistar could not pull up my Vin # as part of the recall. Next is REV to call!

Folks....need to bring up a little history here.  The original post was a 2002 model. I have NO IDEA when Monaco started using the IOTA 50R, but there were so many complaints and such that eventually there was a NHTSA recall.  There were at least 5 or maybe MORE RV manufacturers that elected to do the voluntary recall.  IOTA has NEVER accepted responsibility for the faulty switch.  

Monaco went TU or BANKRUPT in 2009. They entered receivership. Therefore the original installation or manufacturer, Monaco, no longer existed.

In come Navastar. All the MH's that they manufactured or sold WERE RECALLED....or were supposed to be. Those of us (including the 2002 Winsdor) are "ORPHANS" or that is what the NHTSA calls us. We have NO PARENTS or DADDY. We are on our own. Navastar replaced all the ones that they sold.

Bottom line....It matters NOT if REV can find any info or such. The IOTA Recall was a BLANKET for the 50R switch....going back to the first one....and IOTA says that it is a MAINTENANCE or OWNER or USER responsibility to check monthly the condition of the screws and it is the USER's responsibility to tighten them.

PROBLEM IS....  The switches rattle and shake loose. The terminals overheat. Folks have tried to "fix them" and also Loctite them.....it has not been successful.....now that is like saying is you are in the path of a Tornado, your house will be destroyed. Obviously the movement and the up and down and such will leave houses unscathed compared to cleaning a house next door to the slab.

These switches FAIL. They are a FIRE hazard. They will let you down. It was ONLY the manufacturers that did the recall....NOT IOTA.

Rev probably has very little info on them....we, the Monacoer's crowd....know more about them from personal and group use than the Rev folks know....  They can pull the NHTSA bulletin....and then say.....we don't have ANY liability for an MH NOT MADE by us....so therefore, the 2010 and newer models were RECALLED by Navastar after most of the Industry got spooky and with the Norcold fires....NO ONE WANTS TO BE NAMED IN A LAWSUIT OVER A RV FIRE.

Bottom line....if it looks OK and there are no charred terminals or melted plastic and it is tight....then MAYBE it is OK. We had several Camelot owners who were meticulous and tightened the terminals....and then one night.....SMOKE and BURNING SMELL. Fortunately, the power was killed, but the IOTA 50R was charred and failed.

As a SIDE NOTE, I talked to ESCO and they say....TIGHTEN THE SCREWS EVERY MONTH.  RIGHT.....  I talked to some electrical contractors and also did some searching and contacted Loctite. The Loctite Green is rated for Electrical connections.....the Blue is for larger screws as is the Red....which is permanent. We have had many electrical folks that cringe or say....NEVER LOCTITE a connection. That is FINE for a home. BUT....in a MH.....think a Mag 4.5 as you drive.

I used Loctite Green on my ATS and also on the HW50C and have checked them and they are tight. The layman's way to make sure that you hit the 35 - 40 Inch Pounds of Torque required for the connection is this.  Use a good fitting or hand filling screwdriver. IOTA used #2 Sq Drive lugs.....that is good...  BUT, ESCO uses a flat blade recess. Put a shop towel (Mechanic's red or blue rag) around the screwdriver handle.....maybe two thicknesses.  Then after they are ALL tight.....go back over and use all the muscle or hand strength that you have.

I was responsible for QC aqnd a Gage Lab in a former job and we had very expensive Torque Measuring equipment or certification. So, I played around in there and figured out that my "limit" was around 40 Inch pounds using a hand held screwdriver or nut driver.....

I also helped the adjustable pedal manufacturer that had to recall all of our pedals and put in a brace or bracket. Their engineers had a procedure that no tech could follow or understand and you needed a $250 inch pound wrench. I suggested the screwdriver technique and they ran studies and BINGO....they adopted the procedure.

Hope this explains this.....the SWITCH for our orphan (pre bankruptcy) coaches are BAD and they are OUR responsibility......

Mary & Glenn

OK, so I took Ivan's suggestion and pulled the leads from the stat and attached a flat fuse... the compressor turned on and I was able to add 4 lbs of freon. This only got the pressure to around 12 psi. I have no clue when the system last ran. I bought the coach in 2012 and never ran the dash air so I'm guessing it will take a lot.

My assumption was wrong about the stat not being a part of the pressurized system... I started to loosen it and learned. Based on the comment above from Paul Busch, I'm wondering if the stat is fine and I just need to get it fully charged.

29 minutes ago, Paul Busch said:

My 05 sig wouldn’t turn the compressor until I un plugged it and jumped a hot and ground to the compressor and once it was spinning it would take a full charge and after fully charged it worked fine. I believe you are unable to charge it if the compressor isn’t running. I am sure more damage is done to these coaches from not being used.

paul

Paul, do you recall how much freon you had to add to fully charge? Thanks, Glenn

New Headlights
Mike in Va

Thanks for the help. Just gave my friend this info and he's ordering new lights now. 

Ivan K

I used just around 4lbs in our Signature. I can't imagine that you would need more but hard to tell without real gauges. You don't want to blow up the high side of compressor if there is no high pressure switch. My low side pressure at the compressor is lower than normally expected but high side is about right and it works fine.

Engine Cooling
Chuck B

First you need to determine if you have a ISL 400 or a ISL 400-2 engine.  If your coach was built between Aug 2003 and December 31 2003, you have a ISL 400 engine.  If your coach was built Jan 1, 2004 or later you have a ISL 400-2 and you paid around $3500.00 for the EPA mandated upgrade.  The range of temps are correct, the same as my 2004 Windsor that was built in January 2004.  I suggest you leave a sleeping dog alone.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Paul Busch

I forget but I just used the large cans from NAPA and filled till it was in the night green on the cans gage. I do think the damage comes from non-use. I had my used coach for 5 years and only used it a couple weeks a year and nothing worked. Started full timing last October and once everything is working it all got better. 1 of my air conditioners had no charge, one worked and one was semi cold. I tapped all three. Added leak sealer to one and jumped the compressor to get it to charge. Middle one was a full charge and front one took park of a charge. All are blowing ice cold air since January in Texas. 
the same with the engine compressor. Once I got it charged after hot wiring the compressor it has worked flawlessly since last November. Good luck

paulb

MrAmbassador

9 times out of 10 there should be a Schrader valve on the hose connection in order to change out the switch. Don’t run the AC long with the jumper/blade fuse for long. It will eventually starve the Compressor and fail. You can buy that switch at any car part store. ja

Paul Busch

I believe the compressor will not run if the charge is to low and it will not charge without the compressor running. I could not get mine to charge without the compressor running. That is the dash and 3 roof top air conditioners.

Mary & Glenn

I'll pick up another 1 lb can tomorrow when I make the run to CO Springs. I'm sure its cheaper there then up here in our little mountain town. Hopefully it will do the trick and not need a new switch.

Thanks all you guys for chiming in with ideas, much appreciated.  Glenn

trailmug

Switch is probably just stuck.. they're not very reliable, especially if the system has had dirt or sludge in it. You'll want a new receiver/drier for sure if the system was flat for a long time. Did it have any pressure in it before you charged? Moisture in the system will cause the TxV to freeze and restrict the system, or form acids that will eat a hole in the evaporator; the presence of air causes high pressure spikes. No need to pull the system down to replace the switch as mentioned, but you'd obviously need to empty it to replace the receiver, which would find you needing a vaccum pump.

My switch is in an R134a system but the fitting Monaco used is for R12. Pressures are the same, but double check the threads. 

Ivan K

If your compressor does not kick in with 4 lbs now, I would save myself a trip and get a new switch also. And Bob's advice is good. You can rent the gauges and pump for free and get it right. Just my opinion.

IOTA ITS-50R
dirtydeeds

I guess my biggest question is this:

do I just take off all the leads on the gen side and swap to Ats, the do the same on shore power side? And that’s it? Or is there other stuff that needs to be tracked down and swapped?

cbr046

I bought a cheap AC gauge set off Amazon.  It works perfectly.

I added several 12 oz cans to the dash AC to get low side pressure up to 20 psi.  I believe 30 - 35 psi is the max but it wasn't increasing and I was getting nervous as overcharging can cause damage.  I'm getting 20F differential and that's about as good as it gets.   

If there was no charge at all you'll want to look for leaks at various junctions. 

- bob

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.