New tires coming..........

woodylmiller

• 2 months later...
On 7/22/2021 at 7:30 PM, woodylmiller said:

... The TOYO M144 is an all position tire ... I do not know about the date code on the tires I bought.  I will be fine with them being several months old, even a year.  To honest with you it was more important just to find tires.  I was beginning to lose hope on finding anything. ...

Woody Miller

Hey Woody.  What date codes did you wind up with on the M144s?.  Would you deal with tires-easy.com again?  I'll need to roll the dice someplace...and local shops aren't very helpful at this point. Is there a mounting shop in Dallas Ft Worth you'd recommend?

Al

I ordered my Toyo 144s  2 weeks ago from a commericial tire shop nearby and they came out of a warehouse in Arizona. Dot codes were 2921.......all 8 tires were close to 5k.....mounted , balanced, new stems and front end alignment. It stung a little but I know I'm not a rolling disaster waiting to happen......

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

My education continues.

I went and put the tpms sensors caps on all 8 tires and programmed them to the display. Tires had lost a little air due to the cold, down from 120 that the tire shop put in them to around 107. I have to drag the air compressor down there to air them so I figured I should look and find out exactly how much air to put in. Could find no chart for Hercules. These are J rated tires and I think 130 pounds cold pressure on the sidewall. No time for weighing anyway.

So I find the sticker by the drivers seat by standing on my head.

Steers 115

Duals 85

Tag 80

I had no idea. It almost seems like the duals and tag would look flat at those pressures but I guess not.

I think I'll go steers 120, duals 90, and tag 85. Then I have to reprogram high and low limits into the tst display by axle. Then add 4 silverado tires at 35 psi.

My wife is going to go nutty watching those different tire pressures cycle through that monitor as she watches it for me. She's used to just having to watch the 4 fifth wheel tires cycle through. I think I'll draw her a picture of the motorhome and silverado with the different axle pressures she can refer to until she gets the hang of it.

5 minutes ago, FishAR said:

My wife is going to go nutty watching those different tire pressures cycle through that monitor as she watches it for me. She's used to just having to watch the 4 fifth wheel tires cycle through. I think I'll draw her a picture of the motorhome and silverado with the different axle pressures she can refer to until she gets the hang of it.

That's why they have alarms:-)

• Like 1

Use the sticker until you can weight the rig, full fuel, fresh water and cargo. I run 120, 90, 80 based on actual weight. Both the steer and dual are just a few hundred pounds of max axle weight. Tag is 5,000 lbs but I can't increase it's weight to decrease the dual because the steer is at max. Within specs but a poor Monaco design IMHO.

Check the mfg load inflation tables and you'll see single and dual tires weight are different per tire. My steers carry about 7,000 and duals 5,000 which puts the axles at the max.  Tag axle is rated at 10,000. BTW I could go 70 psi on the tag which is the minimum.

FIND the tables for those tires, call the mfg, or use an equivalent table basedon a reliable tire professional person.

Tire pressure IS lower when it's cold. How often do you have to add air? 107 sounds a little low to me.

Why does the TST display need watching vs the alarm. Do you also switch to watch pressure?

FYI TPMS sensors on the valve stems read lower than the actual tire tempature by as much as 40-50 degrees. The reason is obvious - the stem itself is cooled by ambient air vs inside the tire. Short rubber stems would likely have less difference but I would never recommend them. TST knows this but won't verify. A hint is in the manual where they suggest to NOT change the upper temperature. My suspicion is they have programmed a algorithm to account for the temperature difference. This would apply to any brand sensor on the valve stem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, willbo777 said:

That's why they have alarms:-)

We dodged a bullet a few years ago with the 5th wheel due to her watching and no alarm went off. One fifth wheel tire was out of line with the others  both in temp and inflation but not enough to set off an alarm. We pulled off at tampa at a rest area and I found the entire inside of the tire worn down almost to the cord. Turned out we had a bent axle.

1 hour ago, W7BE_Bob said:

Use the sticker until you can weight the rig, full fuel, fresh water and cargo. I run 120, 90, 80 based on actual weight. Both the steer and dual are just a few hundred pounds of max axle weight. Tag is 5,000 lbs but I can't increase it's weight to decrease the dual because the steer is at max. Within specs but a poor Monaco design IMHO.

Check the mfg load inflation tables and you'll see single and dual tires weight are different per tire. My steers carry about 7,000 and duals 5,000 which puts the axles at the max.  Tag axle is rated at 10,000. BTW I could go 70 psi on the tag which is the minimum.

FIND the tables for those tires, call the mfg, or use an equivalent table basedon a reliable tire professional person.

Tire pressure IS lower when it's cold. How often do you have to add air? 107 sounds a little low to me.

Why does the TST display need watching vs the alarm. Do you also switch to watch pressure?

FYI TPMS sensors on the valve stems read lower than the actual tire tempature by as much as 40-50 degrees. The reason is obvious - the stem itself is cooled by ambient air vs inside the tire. Short rubber stems would likely have less difference but I would never recommend them. TST knows this but won't verify. A hint is in the manual where they suggest to NOT change the upper temperature. My suspicion is they have programmed a algorithm to account for the temperature difference. This would apply to any brand sensor on the valve stem.

I haven't put air in the tires since they were installed back in august. So never. 

TST shows pressure and temp at the same time. At least mine does.

On 7/22/2021 at 4:59 PM, FishAR said:

This all came together pretty quick. They called me back and said I can probably have them installed next Wednesday. 

Also said their installer would prefer to install them at his shop and they'd knock $200 off if I drove it there. I told them the tires were dated 2010 and I was afraid to drive it there, that's why I used their service. I can only imagine what it would cost if I popped a tire on that 15 mile drive.

Heck, for $200 I'd drive it 15mph the whole way.  Plus, you get it done where he has all his equipment there to do it safely, and without scratching your wheels. LOL

• Like 1