Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/491-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

New tires coming..........
Ivan K
RIPPPA
Micro-air Thermostat
Steven P
Delamination
Chargerman
Dual Pane Windows
jacwjames
Dual Pane Windows
OhReally
Samsung RF197 not cooling fridge
pwhittle
klcdenver
Delamination
Ray Davis
Solar Charging
powersltc
Micro-air Thermostat
KenAVTech
Dual Pane Windows
Ivylog
wayne.cerven@gmail.com
Jim Byrd
Solar Charging
BobSchmeck
Solar Charging
Nevada Rob
How busy is it out West you asked.
amphi_sc
Delamination
Larry Laursen
Delamination
JDCrow
HWH Travel Mode
rudder
Question On Replacing Ride Height Control Valve
cterryl@sbcglobal.net
HWH Travel Mode
JDCrow
HWH Travel Mode
Timaz996
Delamination
dl_racing427
Solar Charging
vito.a
Solar Charging
Chuck B
HWH Travel Mode
Gary Cole
Electrical tech needed
Xlr8ting1
Micro-air Thermostat
Chuck B
Micro-air Thermostat
Dave Pumphrey
pwhittle
FishAR
HWH Travel Mode
JDCrow
Dual Pane Windows
Mel S - '96 Safari
HWH Travel Mode
Gary Cole
Electrical tech needed
Xlr8ting1
Electrical tech needed
JOHN McCLURE
Dual Pane Windows
Ivylog
Allison TES 295 ATF
Mel S - '96 Safari

Ivan K

U

3 hours ago, RIPPPA said:

Cool. I ordered 8 Toyo’s for myself today. 

Curious what DOT date you get. When I called, they could not even guarantee this year. Hopefully the old stock was already sold out.

No interior lights, No power to AC controllers, Overhead Fans not working, everything else ok
Jim Bob

Sounds like a solenoid may be sticking.  Pretty common problem, if it comes back check that out.  Mine is located on the firewall in the back, others are located in the front run box.  Sometimes tapping it will get it to work. 

RIPPPA

Me too, I’m having my girlfriends son check on that this morning. He’s manager at a auto/ truck service center. 

4 hours ago, duncan8846@att.net said:

So Woody,  Where do you get them installed?  I hope whoever it doesn’t stick it to you for installation costs

Duncan H

former 05 Windsor owner now driving a 2014 Entegra Anthem

Boss tire in Dallas quoted me de-mount mount  and balance on 8 tires at $545.00. Including tax and disposal fee

Micro-air Thermostat
Steven P
8 hours ago, KenAVTech said:

I installed one in my 2003 Camelot, works like a charm! Plug and play. I really like the blue tooth app as you can do everything from your iphone. Wifi is okay, but it depends on local internet strength! Also installed their Soft Starts on both roof units. I like them!

With the soft starts, may I ask what you like about them?  Using on 30A or 15A? Or something else?

No interior lights, No power to AC controllers, Overhead Fans not working, everything else ok
Dr4Film

Highly unlikely it was ONE fuse connection as there are multiple fuses there to protect separate devices that are all powered by the same 12 VDC. There is no ONE fuse that handles ALL of the 12 VDC.

It is more likely to be one or two of your 12 VDC House Battery solenoids that are starting to fail. Most people like myself have permanently bypassed those solenoids eliminating ANY possibility of ever being without house 12 VDC again. My coach only has one Battery Cut-Off Solenoid so it was an easy fix to bypass it whereas some coaches have two solenoids that control all of the 12 VDC.

Those solenoids are high failure devices. Trust me it WILL happen again and when it does it may be the middle of the night while having a torrential rain storm and you will be SOOL until the problem can be remedied.

Another possibility is that the Battery Disconnect Switch is failing. If that happens to be a BEP Switch I strongly suggest replacing BOTH the House & Chassis switches with a Guest, Blue Seas, Perko or a Cole-Hersee switch.

Photos of a failed BEP below.

BEP Failed Battery Shut-Off Switch-1.JPG

BEP Failed Battery Shut-Off Switch-2.JPG

Marinco BEP Switch.jpg

Delamination
Chargerman

It is so frustrating that they used it back then. I know these coaches were not built with the thought that they would still look so good at this age but if they hadn’t used wood under the fiberglass they would not have delamination issues. I had to repair mine under the drivers window due to a crap repair to the window years earlier when a vendor repaired a fogged window. 

Route Planning to Mesa Verde NP via CO 160 west from I-25 junction
Mary & Glenn

Mark,

You shouldn't have any issue with Wolf Creek Pass. As with any of the high mountain passes keep an eye on your RPM's and don't lug your engine. Anticipate the climb and downshift when needed to keep the RPM's in about the 1,800 to 2,000 range to keep the torque up.

Depending on your schedule you can add some fantastic scenery as opposed to the boring drive down I-25. We used to live in CO Springs and moved to the Wet Mountain Valley (Westcliffe, CO) 6 years ago. It is a hidden gem 2 hours southwest of the Springs on the east slope of the Sangre de Cristo mountain range. It will add time and a bit of mileage to your trip but the Sangre's are a unique range that runs from Santa Fe, NM to Salida, CO. We have four 14K mountain peaks out our front door and the rest of the spine are 13K+ peaks. We have 2 nice campgrounds in town Grape Creek CG and the Wet Mountain RV Park. I'm guessing they are both full but keep in mind for future planning. There are only 2 roads into the valley from the north and one from the south. From the Springs the best route is through Cañon City and west on US 50 to Texas Creek which is right along the Arkansas River. This brings you past Royal Gorge which is beautiful, especially the train ride. At Texas Creek turn south on Hwy 69 which will bring you into Westcliffe, and continue south down to Walsenburg to pick up Hwy 160 west.

If you decide to stick with your I-25 route enjoy the ride, enjoy the mountains, take your time and don't sweat the trip over the passes.

Cheers, Glenn

Dual Pane Windows
jacwjames

Well, I guess a Beaver Marquis Moonstone is back on my wish list then!!!

Driver side drops within 30 minutes after leveling
Woody O

Raised front up to maximum while working on gen exhaust. Worked off and on over several days as I got the parts I needed, so had to raise front up to maximin each time. That’s when my problem started of the driver side dropping after leveling. While checking for leaks, the hwh panel stop operating. No lights on panel coming on. I checked the salesman switch, it is on, but no lights on the hwh. Where is the fuse located for the hwh?  What is my next step?

Update.  Got lights working. Travel height working, dump and raise working. So, problem is, won’t stay level.

Dual Pane Windows
OhReally

Bob125, I can't believe you are having so much trouble cooling down when running all three ACs going down the road. I can keep up with heat load on my 40ft Scepter with only the front AC that is sick (new one waiting to be installed). Your ACs should each cool to a minimum twenty degree differential. If they don't then they need some work or replacement.

pwhittle

Our RF 197 has worked great for the four years we have owned it.

For the last few days the freezer has worked great at -2, but the fridge is set at 36, and the fridge is showing 53 degrees.

Any suggestions on what to check?

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions

Paul

2000 Dynasty Dash AC Compressor: not kicking on
Ray Davis
8 hours ago, Mary & Glenn said:

I don’t recall seeing a round thing that size. I’ll check in the morning.  Is it up front on the outside of the firewall? Is it a readily available part? I live in the mountains with a tiny NAPA store for the ranchers. It’s a 2 hour round trip to the closest real town so getting parts isn’t super easy. 

Many coaches have the receiver/dryer located up front however my 03 Windsor has it mounted in the vicinity of the trans / differential,  up high.  I think I could see it from the bedroom floor opening.

Mine is a very common one available at my local parts store.

Patrick

I am thinking,that you are right. Power came back on after I cycled the battery the battery disconnect switches. 

I am going to try to locate the solenoid today. Mine unit is a 2002 Dynasty, similar age to yours.

1 hour ago, Dr4Film said:

Highly unlikely it was ONE fuse connection as there are multiple fuses there to protect separate devices that are all powered by the same 12 VDC. There is no ONE fuse that handles ALL of the 12 VDC.

It is more likely to be one or two of your 12 VDC House Battery solenoids that are starting to fail. Most people like myself have permanently bypassed those solenoids eliminated ANY possibility of ever being without house 12 VDC again. My coach only has one Battery Cut-Off Solenoid so it was an easy fix to bypass it whereas some coaches have two solenoids that control all of the 12 VDC.

Those solenoids are high failure devices. Trust me it WILL happen again and when it does it may be the middle of the night while having a torrential rain storm and you will be SOOL until the problem can be remedied.

Another possibility is that the Battery Disconnect Switch is failing. If that happens to be a BEP Switch I strongly suggest replacing BOTH the House & Chassis switches with a Guest, Blue Seas, Perko or a Cole-Hersee switch.

Photos of a failed BEP below.

BEP Failed Battery Shut-Off Switch-1.JPG

BEP Failed Battery Shut-Off Switch-2.JPG

Marinco BEP Switch.jpg

Where is this solenoid located. 

klcdenver

It is possibly stuck in defrost mode. I would unplug it for a few minutes then reprogram it. I have the same fridge and something of the similar nature happened to me and this fixed it. 

Delamination
Ray Davis
9 hours ago, JDCrow said:

Sounds like luan needs to be eliminated from the process. Still used extensively today. 

It does seem like wrong thinking using luan that is so fragile especially when wet.

There was a post quite awhile back on IRV2 by a tech who stated that they use aluminum sheets in place of luan when repairing delamination.   He didn't respond to farther questions though.   Trade secrets probably.

SigPIlot

Interesting, I have the same left side drop issue. Pad still works, sort of. No manual adjustment by station. Travel and raise/lower continue to work. What I've been told is, short of upgrade, is computer box needs a rebuild (no longer made) by HWH. Also need to refurbish all the six packs and air lines. Maybe even the level sensor. My summer project before Seffner! They have been very helpful so far (HWH).

Ray Davis

Control box has fuses inside,  start there.

Solar Charging
powersltc

Ron P., 2004 Monaco Executive. 

I am venturing into something new as usual.   I have solar panels but I have never tried to charge batteries.   According to Aladdin it is doing something.  I have it in the Inverter mode.

How do I charge the batteries?

20210722_085022.jpg

20210722_085017.jpg

Micro-air Thermostat
KenAVTech

Normally Im on 50 amp, But the initial startup of the AC units is much smoother as the fan starts first then a few minutes later the compressor kicks in. Dont think it would work well on 15amp, but it works fine on 30! Meaning I never tried 15!

Dual Pane Windows
Ivylog

Bob, you just confirmed one of my favorite sayings “no one sees you when you’re cool” and on that subject…..

assuming only 2 people I would add a MaxAir vent cover to the bathroom vent and run that vent on hi when traveling. I would shut the sliding door to the bedroom while traveling.

Route Planning to Mesa Verde NP via CO 160 west from I-25 junction
Ray Davis
1 hour ago, Mary & Glenn said:

Canon City and west on US 50 to Texas Creek which is right along the Arkansas River. This brings you past Royal Gorge which is beautiful, especially the train ride.

We really like historic / scenic train rides and although the train through the Royal George is short it is well worth the time & effort. IMHO  Seeing the gorge from the train allows one to see parts of the gorge you couldn't see otherwise.   The engineering the old timers used to accomplished putting a track through there is amazing.      

Paul Busch

My 05sig has a controller mounted in the ceiling of the middle bay and a second one mounted under it. I pulled them down cleaned contacts and checked all fuses. Turned out my control pad was bad. Randy at HWH walked me through the whole process and ordered and sent the parts needed. They are a big help.

paulb

wayne.cerven@gmail.com

Are the Toyo's motor coach tires?

I paid $ 560.00 installed plus tax for Bridgestone R 268

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

Jim Byrd
1 hour ago, pwhittle said:

Our RF 197 has worked great for the four years we have owned it.

For the last few days the freezer has worked great at -2, but the fridge is set at 36, and the fridge is showing 53 degrees.

Any suggestions on what to check?

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions

Paul

I had a similar problem with the same refrigerator, I found the refrigerator evaporator frozen up.  I checked with local Samsung repair facility and was told that most likely cause that refrigerator door were no being completely closed. I removes all  contents from refrigerator and freezer and unplugged power for several hours with doors open to allow refrigerator evaporator to defrost.

We had the problem when we had guest with us in the coach when we had this problem and don't believe they where not getting the doors fully closed.  We now make sure that both refrigerators are completely closed by firmly pressing the doors closed.

We have never had another problem since taking this little extra effort when closing the doors.  The Samsung repairman reported that it's not and uncommon problem on this model.

Jim

Solar Charging
BobSchmeck

You probably have noticed that the pictures are upside down.  Wish i could be more help. 

Solar Charging
Nevada Rob

I would start by mounting the display board right side up. HAHAHAHA, just a little morning humor.

Good question to ask as I have wondered the same thing. Is the Aladdin charging all the time when the sun is up?

amphi_sc

Dick said: "Next week they booked the Private CG at Jacob Lake for the N Rim. We’ll wing it , getting to the USFS CG their by 9AM.  Unfortunately it takes...."

We've opted to just boondock a couple miles away just off 89a on forest road 248 (as best as I can recall ... I'd recognize the corner/road intersection in person but trying to remember by the map is difficult.). It should be N NW of the 67 intersection about where 89a takes a bend west....see map screen shot. Unhook toad at the gas station and check it out to see if you are comfortable.  We're 45 feet and felt fine.  Would do it again.  Beware of the hummingbirds...if napping outside in a colorful shirt you may get buzzed as they check you out 😀

Anyway IMHO, the forest service CG just provides you a pit toilet and close neighbors so if you have your own water what is the advantage????  The private CG does have hookups if you desire that.

FWIW

Screenshot_20210722-095804.png

Delamination
Larry Laursen

Based on several plant tours, Monaco used 2 different wall construction based on the model.  Diplomats, Knights, Cayman and Endeavor, Ambassador, Neptune, pre 2009 used aluminum frame that was installed with the interior surface pre-mounted.  The frame was then filled with insulation after wiring was installed.  The exterior then glued and clamped to the frame.  The exterior layer was luan plywood with sprayed fiberglass and gel coat.  The high line coaches used a fully bonded wall structure that has solid foam as the insulation.  You can tell the difference by looking at the electrical outlets.  The fiberglass sidewalls have outlets, whereas in the bonded walls, the outlets are in the interior cabinets because the wiring doesn't go through the walls.  

I have used Gorilla glue with a hypodermic syringe to repair delamination on the slide bottom.  It might work on a small area of the side wall if it is going into the luan.

Delamination
JDCrow
29 minutes ago, Larry Laursen said:

Based on several plant tours, Monaco used 2 different wall construction based on the model.  Diplomats, Knights, Cayman and Endeavor, Ambassador, Neptune, pre 2009 used aluminum frame that was installed with the interior surface pre-mounted.  The frame was then filled with insulation after wiring was installed.  The exterior then glued and clamped to the frame.  The exterior layer was luan plywood with sprayed fiberglass and gel coat.  The high line coaches used a fully bonded wall structure that has solid foam as the insulation.  You can tell the difference by looking at the electrical outlets.  The fiberglass sidewalls have outlets, whereas in the bonded walls, the outlets are in the interior cabinets because the wiring doesn't go through the walls.  

I have used Gorilla glue with a hypodermic syringe to repair delamination on the slide bottom.  It might work on a small area of the side wall if it is going into the luan.

Thanks for clarifying. Yes I have outlets in the walls held in by slim boxes that have tabs that grab the luan backed interior walls 

HWH Travel Mode
rudder

I have an absolutely crazy problem! My 2006 Monico Dynasty when trying to go into travel mode will pump up the left side of the coach all the way, while the right goes completely flat. All other aspects of the HWH work fine. Anyone have an idea where to start looking? Started doing this after being stored inside for the winter.

Question On Replacing Ride Height Control Valve
cterryl@sbcglobal.net

I had one of my valves on the back leaking just enough to hear. could get under enough to find a number and then I decided to try cleaning it. Took the rubber cap off the bottom and sprayed it with silicone spray and replaced the rubber cap. The valve has stopped leaking for now. Holds air overnight. The old number is no longer listed but had a parts place cross it over to another. Old valve shows made in Germany. New one shows made in Mexico. I figure the twenty year old valve from Germany is better than the new from Mexico. Valve is in a position where it is really had for me to get to. My back just won't take that anymore. Was going to take to a shop here and just have all three replaced but they were booked out three weeks. A lot of moving parts under there when the air drops off.

HWH Travel Mode
JDCrow

Similar?

Delamination
dl_racing427
1 hour ago, Larry Laursen said:

Even my 1993 Dynasty is like this.  II can actually see slight distortion following the triangulated framework in the side walls, but the exterior has held up very well considering the age.
That does explain all the outlets being in the cabinets, thanks Larry.

Solar Charging
vito.a

Your owners manual covers the solar charging system.  Do you have the original equipment 100W panel and Heliotrope charge controller?

If so, you probably do not need to do anything.  The Heliotrope charger will charge both the house and chassis battery together, although at VERY low rates.    

Do not make the classic mistake of confusing watts with amps.  Your panel is 100 watts which equates to about 5 amps in perfect conditions.  That is solar noon on a clear summer day.  You can add additional panels fairly easy to increase the charge rate.  

Hope this helps.  

Solar Charging
Chuck B

Inside, outside, upside down side.  Please check your pictures before posting.  chuck B 2004 Windsor

HWH Travel Mode
Gary Cole

Thanks, That was an informative video. I would only add that I would have disconnected the air bags from the leveling system and inflated them using a tire gauge to a level air pressure using a brass  air stem and a couple of plumbing fittings available at any hardware store and driven home.

Electrical tech needed
Xlr8ting1

Flew back to Portland to pick up my 09 Dynasty which had an electrical issue. The engine will stop randomly and show codes check engine, stop engine, and ATC. The shop I took it to has changed out both fuel filters, replaced the throttle position sensor, cleaned several connectors that showed some corrosion. They test drove it 30 miles without issue. I left the shop and It quit twice on me within 5 miles. It’s been in the shop since Memorial Day. I’m not taking it back there. They did their best but didn’t solve the problem. I’m looking for a tech somewhere in Oregon with great tech skills that you folks would highly recommend. Thanks in advance. 

Theo

Micro-air Thermostat
Chuck B

You cannot get blood out of a turnip.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Micro-air Thermostat
Dave Pumphrey

3 minutes ago, Chuck B said:

You cannot get blood out of a turnip.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

???

pwhittle

Back to normal this morning. It likely power reset when we shut off the generator.

I’ll keep an eye on it.

FishAR

I got scared with all the talk of shortages and just ordered 8 295/80/22.5 Hercules strong guard 18 ply from motorhometires.com. Mounted and balanced here at my place.

A little under $4300.

I just couldn't make myself spring for the extra cash for the toyos and since the tires are 11 years old on this rig I really didn't want to drive it anywhere to have them mounted.

HWH Travel Mode
JDCrow
39 minutes ago, Gary Cole said:

Thanks, That was an informative video. I would only add that I would have disconnected the air bags from the leveling system and inflated them using a tire gauge to a level air pressure using a brass  air stem and a couple of plumbing fittings available at any hardware store and driven home.

Would you need blocks to hold up the suspension while removing the fittings? You’d have zero air? 

I’ve been under my coach a few times, and not sure if it’s one of those videos or one before but he talks about a tech he knew was killed by air suspension 

Dual Pane Windows
Mel S - '96 Safari
6 hours ago, jacwjames said:

Well, I guess a Beaver Marquis Moonstone is back on my wish list then!!!

Although my coach does have dual pane windows, single pane windows would not have been a deal breaker.

HWH Travel Mode
Gary Cole

No, the suspension will only settle as far as the stops will allow in the same manner as when the suspension air bleeds off.  Still plenty of safe space. The 1/8" MIP brass inflator stems cost maybe $2 and will screw directly into the air bag once the push lock fitting is removed.

I should add that one needs to disconnect the level arm from the axle making sure that it stays in its neutral position in order to prevent air loss.

Ivylog

Thanks for the info ^^^ although we’ve been there several times before. Fortunately the Knab Forest opened up last week so dispersed camping is possible again… have flown 248 using Google Maps and it will be our fallback if the CG is full plus several roads off 67 south of J Lake. We've stayed in the USFS CG several times before and while I’m not paranoid about safety, paying $10 to have neighbors when we are gone all day is worth it. 

It’s a family tradition to leave the N Rim at sunset and see how many Mule Deer we can count… anywhere from 200+ to a low of 125.

I go above and beyond to be neighborly, even bringing the coffee pot to those In tents when they start stirring in the morning… been there many decades ago. I’m surprised how often we are the only big rig in these USFS CGs. 

Electrical tech needed
Xlr8ting1

I guess I should have posted this in the general discussion. My apologies. Flew back to Portland to pick up my 09 Dynasty which had an electrical issue. The engine will stop randomly and show codes check engine, stop engine, and ATC. The shop I took it to has changed out both fuel filters, replaced the throttle position sensor, cleaned several connectors that showed some corrosion. They test drove it 30 miles without issue. I left the shop and It quit twice on me within 5 miles. It’s been in the shop since Memorial Day. I’m not taking it back there. They did their best but didn’t solve the problem. I’m looking for a tech somewhere in Oregon with great tech skills that you folks would highly recommend. Thanks in advance. 

Theo

Electrical tech needed
JOHN McCLURE

Sorry, the only place I think is worth a damn is Sacramento Truck Center. They corrected a problem that three other Cummins business's could not find. They said the code for my problem had been in my ECM for 2 years.--John McClure

Dual Pane Windows
Ivylog
54 minutes ago, Mel S - '96 Safari said:

Although my coach does have dual pane windows, single pane windows would not have been a deal breaker.

Sorry it’s a deal breaker for me. Guess you never camped when it’s cold or have a window over the head of the bed that’s single pane in the winter. If a DP had single pane windows I’d worry about what else they went cheap on. 

Last summer we had the outer pane on a side window get shattered in WY and 5 months later, had it fixed at Suncoast in Hudson Fla.  Did have to shim it to keep it from rattling. 

Allison TES 295 ATF
Mel S - '96 Safari

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
Valvoline MaxLife synthetic ATF  is NOT a "TES 295 Approved transmission fluid".

However Valvoline SynGard synthetic ATF is TES 295 approved ... as are the 13 others listed here: https://allisontransmission.com/parts-service/approved-fluids/on-highway-fluids?fbclid=IwAR22Gs6sntKnu7KI8hm_ZZuzfh-mD2c2mLK7zMNhjS-BPWFd0w_aOsZxvNg

Electrical tech needed
JDStew

Your Dynasty looks quite nice. Love the Dynastys. We were just looking a some last week in Junction City.

As you may know, many of the Monaco's were made 100 miles down the freeway from Portland in Coburg and Junction City area. There are many shops around there that should be able to diagnose and fix your rig quickly.

The new owners of Monaco are Rev Group in Coburg. If your Dynasty has a Cummins, there's a good Cummins shop in Coburg as well.

I've heard good things about REV RV Group Service Center and Cummins Sales and Service. I've not heard about the others. I hear you pay for good service with REV.

REV RV Group Service Center: +1877-466-6226

Cummins Sales and Service: +15416870000

Coburg Pizza Company: Great pizza if you get to stay in the area!: +15414846600

Premier RV Services: +15419982640

I hope that helps. I do have other contacts if you need. Feel free to contact me.

Electrical tech needed
Scott 61

Cummins coach care in Coburg Oregon 541 687-0000

Allison TES 295 ATF
Dr4Film

Thanks Mel!

Great information especially for all of our new members.

Electrical tech needed
Luther Taylor

Check crank positioning and cam shaft position sensors 

mine would do the same thing that fixed it. 
Good Luck. 😉

Electrical tech needed
Xlr8ting1

Although Sacramento is on my way home, I was hoping to get over the Siskiyou's without stalling out. I’m starting to wonder if it indeed might be the ECM. I’ve tried the REV group but it seems you can’t phone them directly. Calls go to Indiana and one needs to send a request for service online. Been a few hours now and haven’t heard anything from them. I might try Oregon motor coach or Elite RV. If I have no satisfaction from them I’ll take it to Sacramento. Thanks, John.

Theo

Solar Charging
Ivylog

Solar will not do much when plugged in. Inverting takes power out of the batteries when not plugged in. .. doesn’t charge the batteries.

Appears the solar does work as it’s putting 1 amp into the house batteries and the charger, in your inverter, is charging 3 amps.

Unhook from shore power and turn the inverter off and see how many amps of solar you get… if only one panel it won’t be much.

Electrical tech needed
Ivylog

Does your 09 have the chassis multiplex system?

Electrical tech needed
Xlr8ting1

It does.

Theo

Thanks for the numbers JD and whoever we take it I will mention checking the cam and crank position sensors. Thanks Luther

Electrical tech needed
Jim Byrd

I would take to Colburg OR to the west coast REV service center.

FishAR
2 hours ago, FishAR said:

I got scared with all the talk of shortages and just ordered 8 295/80/22.5 Hercules strong guard 18 ply from motorhometires.com. Mounted and balanced here at my place.

A little under $4300.

I just couldn't make myself spring for the extra cash for the toyos and since the tires are 11 years old on this rig I really didn't want to drive it anywhere to have them mounted.

This all came together pretty quick. They called me back and said I can probably have them installed next Wednesday. 

Also said their installer would prefer to install them at his shop and they'd knock $200 off if I drove it there. I told them the tires were dated 2010 and I was afraid to drive it there, that's why I used their service. I can only imagine what it would cost if I popped a tire on that 15 mile drive.

vito.a

I had to repair our HWH leveling system.  There are four fuses in the front and 12 more inside the leveling computer (mounted to the ceiling in the main basement compartment).  It turned out the original ground wire to the drivers control panel had the wire pulled out.  I repaired the ground wire and this finally got power to the panel but then I had other issues.  I ended up sending in both the control panel and the leveling computer to HWH.  They were great and turned it around in two days and the price was very good.  The only catch is you need an authorization and they are extremely busy.

I also installed a new digital leveling sensor and aligned the system.  It now works fantastic.  

Detailed link with pictures: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/repairing-hwh-2000-series-leveling-system-in-a-monaco-coach-389075.html

Reading your update you probably have several leaks in the air tubing and air solenoids. 

You need to get the coach up in the air because after you locate the leaks you need to bleed the air down to work on the solenoids. If you do not have a lift, build some ramps from 2" X 12" boards stair stepped together.

Someone also posted a link to a leak detector spray product on Amazon that is superior at finding leaks.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B00LOS...v_ov_lig_dp_it

This process takes lots of time and patience and very few shops have either. HWH will work on your system if you are near Iowa or Paul Maddox.

A good way to start would be to search this section and the Roadmaster section and pre-purchase the o-rings needed. Mike Canter suggests you use Dupont Viton orings. The internal oring is a -019 size, the large one on the bottom is a -028 and the small one on the bottom is a -015.

Then remove the 6-pack valves in both front and rear and rebuild them. Label all wires and air lines. It will help to have a special "pin wrench" tool and cannon plug pliers to get the valves apart.

Here are some links to get you started:
Air leak in chassis leveling system

You Tube video:

Hope this helps.

Electrical tech needed
Ron Jones

Had a similar problem with my Dynasty. It would just quit. Driving fast, slow, or idling didn't make any difference. No "fixed interval" discovered. I could restart easily. Cummins about wore out their INSITE trying to find the problem but no luck. It was pure coincidence that a Cummins tech in Anchorage was watching the INSITE, the coach was idling, and the engine just quit (like it had been doing). INSITE showed a problem with the "ignition" and shut down like we had turned "off" the ignition key. BUT, this only showed up on INSITE for a few seconds WHILE IT HAPPENED and would then the code would disappear. (Don't know why.) Cummins changed out a "board" and everything was great. Sorry, don't remember lots of details as this happened  in 2018. 

My point here is this could ONLY be found if it happened with INSITE plugged in, turned on, and watched.

Electrical tech needed
Ivylog

The REV RV Group Service Center ^^^^ gets good reviews for being able to work on the Konsberg chassis Multiplex system which could be the source of your problems.

Electrical tech needed
Tom Cherry
12 minutes ago, Ron Jones said:

Had a similar problem with my Dynasty. It would just quit. Driving fast, slow, or idling didn't make any difference. No "fixed interval" discovered. I could restart easily. Cummins about wore out their INSITE trying to find the problem but no luck. It was pure coincidence that a Cummins tech in Anchorage was watching the INSITE, the coach was idling, and the engine just quit (like it had been doing). INSITE showed a problem with the "ignition" and shut down like we had turned "off" the ignition key. BUT, this only showed up on INSITE for a few seconds WHILE IT HAPPENED and would then the code would disappear. (Don't know why.) Cummins changed out a "board" and everything was great. Sorry, don't remember lots of details as this happened  in 2018. 

My point here is this could ONLY be found if it happened with INSITE plugged in, turned on, and watched.

Ron,

If you can access your records or maybe contact the dealership, knowing the PN and the Board description would be quite beneficial....

Thanks...

Kicking around a live in Coach
JDCrow

All of us know life is full of curves. We love our Dip, and will keep it as a camping motorhome. We are thinking of adding a "live in" coach for a few years as things unfold in our biz and life. 

We currently reside in a Alpine 5th wheel and feel the floor plan while great when we were vacationing in it, is cramped for everyday living.

We are looking at a 2005 Beaver Patriot Thunder Monday to just get a feel for it.

Anything to look for? It has a Roadmaster s chassis, so kinda same issues as my Dip? Will benefit from Watts set up?

Thanks in advance for any info

ABS light
Dan B.

<so I actually took the module out, popped the top off the button and took it apart.  There is a small spring plate under the button that makes contact with the board.  It seemed like it wasn't seating correctly so I >

James - can you describe how you "popped the top off"?

2003 Windsor here with the same problem as many have described.

Dan

Electrical tech needed
Xlr8ting1

Thanks everyone. I think I’m going to drive down to Coburg in the morning and physically  ask these people if they’re able to work on the coach. I’ve left about 4 voicemails and online requests with e few businesses and they have not yet responded. I’m well aware that they must be very busy, but it sure used to be nice talking with someone that had a pulse.

Obnoxious Beeping Alarm
cbr046

Anyone recognize the sound of this alarm? It's loud, obnoxious, intermittent and coming from under the dash, maybe near the ignition key area.  It almost sounds like a speaker.  There's no lights on the dash to give a clue.  Coolant is near the max level.  Lots of air in the tanks (120 psi).  Coach hasn't been started in a few weeks (5). 

You'll hear me tap the brakes twice.  Raising idle doesn't change it.

There is an old Tekonsha brake controller that the sound seems to be coming from, but there's no brakes to control.

Last trip out to the coach it was perfectly quiet . . . .

Leaving early in the morning, beeping or not!

- bob

072221163223_Normal.m4a

Electrical tech needed
Ron Jones

Reply to Tom Cherry...

I don't know how to reply just to you/your question but two problems exist... One, I lost EVERYTHING on my computer a couple of years ago so I have nothing. Two, I am not sure of the name nor location of the place that did this for me. It MAY have been Cummins but not sure today. Sorry. My best recollection is that the replacement board was about 3 x 5 inches and about $1,000.

ABS light
jacwjames

The black button is pressed into the holder and is held in place with small plastic ridges on the side.  I used a small screw driver and just pried it up a little at a time on all the sides,   Came right out. 

Obnoxious Beeping Alarm
The Hales

Low air?

Obnoxious Beeping Alarm
OhReally

Sounds like the parking brake signal. Your switch is on the bottom of the air brake switch and it goes bad often. Search for that on this or other Monaco/HR forums for fix information.

vito.a

Monaco purchased Safari/Beaver in 2002.  Up until that time they were built on the Magnum chassis.  

Obnoxious Beeping Alarm
jacwjames

Sounds like the park brake alarm that is intermittent. 

Mine has started to act up, I can release the brake but the alarm will stay on.  Does it when it's cold but seems to be OK when warmed up.  Not going to tear into it until I get home.

JDCrow
16 minutes ago, vito.a said:

Monaco purchased Safari/Beaver in 2002.  Up until that time they were built on the Magnum chassis.  

Correct. 

David White

Should be a nice coach and upgrade from the Dip.  One of the main positives is the side radiator which makes rear engine access and maintenance easier.  Both are on Roadmaster chassis’s, and the Watts setup might be needed.  If it has a TRW steering gear, that’s a big positive since slack can be adjusted out, which assists driving comfort.

It likely has a 400 (or 525 upgrade )Cat engine rather than Cummins and I can’t comment on the brand issue, which likely will have different options.

Obnoxious Beeping Alarm
OhReally

Here is a website that talks about a mod to really fix the problem. Replacing the existing switch with one and the same is a bandaid.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/park-brake-air-pressure-valve-alarm-374632.html

Obnoxious Beeping Alarm
Corkman

I thought it sounded like a high temp alarm

JDCrow

Would the 400 cat be a bit underpowered for this size coach? It’s 42’ with a tag. 

And is this an EGR motor? I know 03 Fords went to EGR. But also know Cat got out of the over the road engine biz because of emissions 

vito.a

A 2005 Patriot Thunder should be a 525HP Cat C13.  Lots of power.   The only criticism may be low fuel mileage.  

JDCrow
40 minutes ago, vito.a said:

A 2005 Patriot Thunder should be a 525HP Cat C13.  Lots of power.   The only criticism may be low fuel mileage.  

Yeah brochure says base is 400 C-9 but “thunder” package is a 525 C-12. Most seem to have the bigger engine, this one isn’t listed so won’t know till I look. 

http://library.rvusa.com/brochure/2005_patriot.pdf

woodylmiller

I was quoted a price of $30 per tire for mounting and balancing.  There will be an extra charge for say adding the bags of beads for the front steer tires.  The TOYO M144 is an all position tire, regional use.  Should be just fine for motorhome.  I do not know about the date code on the tires I bought.  I will be fine with them being several months old, even a year.  To honest with you it was more important just to find tires.  I was beginning to lose hope on finding anything.  I had quotes on TOYO's at $6500 and Michelin's at $7100.  And that shop had only found a few of each tire.  I'm guessing things will get worse before they get better.  And a big price increase when the tires do come back in stock.

Woody Miller

Chargerman

The C-12 Cat is a great motor. Also, considering that it is a tag axle Coach you won’t have to worry about the handling issues that can plague non-tag coaches.  The only possible upgrade that may be needed is the TRW steering box if it doesn’t already have one. 

Obnoxious Beeping Alarm
cbr046

Thanks for the ideas.  Last couple of key turns it's been silent.

- bob

Chuck B

There use to be a used motorhome or coach check list on this site.  I posted it a few years ago.  Hope it has not disappeared.  Frank M should know where it is.

Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Micro-air Thermostat
Steven P

I installed one soft start in the bedroom and was looking forward to less of a thud when the compressor starts.  It seems to be the same or maybe even more of a thud now.  I haven't tried on less than 50a yet. 

Side view cameras
woodylmiller

I need two side view cameras, one left one right.  I bought from TADI brothers, long story, but I have 3 passenger side cameras.  Been a week now without any word from Tadi, no phone call or email.  I ordered a left/driver side, they sent another right/passenger.  Trying to correct this but Tadi has not returned any phone calls or emails.  No one is answering the sales line or the customer service line.  Any suggestions for another source?  I tried some other vendors, but their so called "side view" cameras are not.  Trying to finish what I thought would be a simple upgrade, new BOYO monitor and rear view which both work well.  Side view is the problem.  Don't know about you, but I'm sick of hearing the covid is the reason nothing happens, no one to talk to, no responses, nothing, except "due to the covid........yadddaa, yaddaa, yada", bullcrap.

Side view cameras
BobSchmeck

Ordered off Tadi, what a mess. After 7 weeks returned the camera.  Got our money back. Got a camera from RV CAMS. A Voyager because that was our original equipment.  Much better to work with. We did have a problem with the monitor, but they were always easy to get intouch with. They sent out a new monitor & the second one work like it was supposed to.  The cost was twice what Tadi's was.  That was a month ago.  Heading out next week for 3 months. The product for RV Cams. Seems to be a lot better than Tadi's. 

Not much in the way of options for companies to go with. 

Good luck. 

ABS light
Dan B.
4 hours ago, jacwjames said:

The black button is pressed into the holder and is held in place with small plastic ridges on the side.  I used a small screw driver and just pried it up a little at a time on all the sides,   Came right out. 

Jim - Worked!! Just as you said. I adjusted the spring, cleaned everything and reinstalled the board - PERFECT. Thanks again.

For anyone doing this, keep in mind that there are TWO parts underneath the button, so try to notice how the little with "tab" is reinstalled.

Thanks all!

Obnoxious Beeping Alarm
Dan B.
2 hours ago, cbr046 said:

Thanks for the ideas.  Last couple of key turns it's been silent.

- bob

Agree with the others, if so it will come back and WILL drive you crazy. If you can't change the switch as directed above, there is a fuse specifically for the horn; but obviously not a great idea to leave it that way. Check your manual for the location.

Micro-air Thermostat
KenAVTech

When I installed mine I found them to be much quieter on startup. No loud loading bang!

Monaco Technical Tips - Updated File
KenAVTech

Very COOL, your the man! 

Thanks🍻

Ivylog

I’ve put 120+K miles on the S-10 chassis  and describe it as rock solid handling. Multiple 750+ mile days are a pleasure… had to adjust the TRW in the Navigator after the first 200 miles as it had 2” of slop. I question how a tag axle 44” behind the drive can solve all the “handling problems” of the none tag rigs, but it does.

The Cat engine is not noted of great mpg but a 05 is before even more restrictive pollution stuff.

Beavers are noted for their woodwork…some day that’s why Monaco bought them.

We are only half timers but have some definite ideas on what works for longer usage. Fortunately the bath and half fad had not started in 2005. What floor plan is it?

Scotty Hutto
2 hours ago, Chuck B said:

There use to be a used motorhome or coach check list on this site.  I posted it a few years ago.  Hope it has not disappeared.  Frank M should know where it is.

Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Chuck, is this it?

UsedMHCheckList.pdf

JDCrow
30 minutes ago, Ivylog said:

I’ve put 120+K miles on the S-10 chassis  and describe it as rock solid handling. Multiple 750+ mile days are a pleasure… had to adjust the TRW in the Navigator after the first 200 miles as it had 2” of slop. I question how a tag axle 44” behind the drive can solve all the “handling problems” of the none tag rigs, but it does.

The Cat engine is not noted of great mpg but a 05 is before even more restrictive pollution stuff.

Beavers are noted for their woodwork…some day that’s why Monaco bought them.

We are only half timers but have some definite ideas on what works for longer usage. Fortunately the bath and half fad had not started in 2005. What floor plan is it?

It’s a Vicksburg 4

https://www.beavercoachsales.com/Pre-owned-Inventory-2005-Beaver-Motorhome-Patriot-Thunder-Vicksburg-IV-Beaver-Patriot-Thunder-10414367?ref=list

New Downloads Available

Used Motorhome Checklist
A good checklist to use when inspecting a used Motorhome.
0 comments

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.