AC Blowing Hot Air

Just wanted to give a heads up to everyone on a common problem with Duo Therm penguin AC/Heat Pump units.

My rear AC was blowing cold air and then started blowing very hot air. I reset the thermostat and again it started blowing cold air but in

5 minutes started blowing very hot air again. I had my tech Dustin look at the system and it turns out it was the solenoid for the reversing valve.

It was cycling and chattering when he removed the AC cover and when he tapped the solenoid it would go back into AC mode but a minute later would cycle again and start blowing hot air.

The replacement solenoid can be found on Amazon ( see below ). If your AC unit blows cold air for a minute or two and then starts blowing hot air it is probably this solenoid.

They are a very common failure on the Duo Therms. Just wanted to pass this info on to everyone. Don't let a service tech try and sell you a new AC system and tell you your old one is bad.

A DIY coach owner can easily replace it themselves as it is one screw and then plug and play from there. Here is the solenoid.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T36R7XU/?coliid=I2K7KMJQIJVLJB&colid=3TKUANBK5TNOG&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Safe Travels everyone.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Chris.  I experienced this on my older Duotherm last year before a trip and was able to replace that reversing solenoid and blow cold air again.  It is an easy fix. 

Screenshot_20190222-070902_Chrome.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Joe, I think w today's quality it could occur with any age unit.  I was prepping for a trip and turned on both ACs. Rear AC got cold, but front was hot, heat pump hot.  That got me to googling and asking and found this was the issue.  It's an easy fix though.  

13 hours ago, MSHappyCampers said:

Thanks for the tip!  Does this occur on units less than 5 years old?

Joe

Unfortunately, the newer Duo Therms are not holding up like the older models. Dustin has had to do several change outs of newer duo therms.

The Coleman's seem to be more robust and are holding up much better.

Just seems that as time moves forward, quality moves backwards.

I carry a rare earth  magnet with me in case the solenoid coil fails.  I can put it on top of the reversing valve and leave it there until I'm ready to replace the coil.  No down time on a hot day.

Look at the pressures for the old R22 systems and compare that to the new R410 systems.  I think you'll see why the newer units fail frequently.  I'll keep repairing my R22 units as long as possible on the RV and on the stick house.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, throgmartin said:

Unfortunately, the newer Duo Therms are not holding up like the older models. Dustin has had to do several change outs of newer duo therms.

The Coleman's seem to be more robust and are holding up much better.

Just seems that as time moves forward, quality moves backwards.

Yup, that's why I bought the 5-year extended warranty on both new Penguin II heat pumps!   I don't normally buy extended warranties but figured this would be a wise decision!

Joe

• 1 month later...

Would this possible issue exist with the Dometic 630516-331, 15,000BTU , installed in my 2007 Monaco Executive? Everything was working fine on my 3 unites until this afternoon. My bedroom unit started blowing hot after stopping and then starting back up. I need to locate a solution ASAP since I am in "Detention" in Arizona and it hit 100 degree today. I am stick here at least 2 more weeks before heading to Colorado.

Thanks

Patrick

2007 Monaco Executive IV Sandia

Patrick:

Without being able to diagnose it properly I am going to guess it is the reversing valve solenoid. Rarely do these units loose freon.

I just had this hap[pen to me and it was a reversing valve solenoid. You can buy one off Amazon and it can easily be installed by the owner.

Do a search on this forum and the description and part number will come up.

Patrick it is universal to the Dometic penguin units. I would change it out before I did anything else. Mine was blowing VERY hot air.

What you can do is start the AC, go up on the roof and tap on the solenoid. Have your wife check to see if it cycled and started blowing cold air.

They sometimes can be engaged by tapping on it. Typically when troubleshooting you start at the solenoid,  then go to the capacitor and then the circuit board. It is normally one of those 3 things. Most of the time it is that solenoid.

I appreciate the response. I turned the unit off while doing my research and turned it back on a while ago and it is blowing cold like nothing happened. Since it's a $55 part I am ordering it for my spare. I thought it was universal but wasn't sure. Now if the temperature outside would drop I would be happy. I am completing some therapy so I can't go to my Colorado lot for at least 3 weeks. Thanks again. 

Patrick 

• 2 weeks later...

Solenoid coils are not universal and should be replaced with the correct one, if not, and the coil actuates the  reversing valve it will eventually fail and possibly damage the reversing valve. 

A chattering coil is typically caused by a  lower than normal  voltage to the coil which can be caused by a loose connection which is resolved when the coil is replaced and new electrical connections. 
The pressure difference between R-22 and R-410A has no effect on the reversing valve. My company started using 410A in the early 90’s and the 410A reversing valves are engineered for the higher pressure. 

I retired 5 years ago after owning my company for 40 years. 

Russ