Check Transmission Light, no gear selection light??

On my way to north western Iowa on I-80 my " Check Transmission " light came on and I lost power and use of the Transmission Shift Selector.  We limped into Omaha and stopped at Interstate Power Systems.  They closed at noon but said I could camp here when I arrive until they open on Monday at 7pm when they will take a look at it.   Over the next 2 days I'd like to see what I can do to diagnose and fix the problem.    Any suggestions from the group would be appreciated.

Gary B.

2002 Monaco Windsor PBDD

3 minutes ago, burghere66 said:

On my way to north western Iowa on I-80 my " Check Transmission " light came on and I lost power and use of the Transmission Shift Selector.  We limped into Omaha and stopped at Interstate Power Systems.  They closed at noon but said I could camp here when I arrive until they open on Monday at 7pm when they will take a look at it.   Over the next 2 days I'd like to see what I can do to diagnose and fix the problem.    Any suggestions from the group would be appreciated.

Gary B.

2002 Monaco Windsor PBDD

I'm certain that you have already.

But checking the uid level would be a start.

When were the transmission filters changed last ???

Did the transmission temp ever run high ? 

Sorry to hear you are having trouble. If Interstate does not have a hookup for you rig Cummins which is really close by has a few hookups which are not behind the secure area. Good luck.

There are a couple of wire connectors at the transmission. Make sure one has not come loose or something thrown from a tire and damaged one of them.

I checked the transmission level before we departed and it was right on.  I can't check it now because the shift selector console will not lightup.  Also, as the manual warned me I would not be able to shift into to forward or reverse once I shut down the engine.  The service advisor said the transmission goes into limp mode which is what allowed me to get to Omaha.    I will check the connections near the transmission when the outside temp drops.  

Gary B

2002 Monaco Windsor PBDD

12 minutes ago, burghere66 said:

I checked the transmission level before we departed and it was right on.  I can't check it now because the shift selector console will not lightup.  Also, as the manual warned me I would not be able to shift into to forward or reverse once I shut down the engine.  The service advisor said the transmission goes into limp mode which is what allowed me to get to Omaha.    I will check the connections near the transmission when the outside temp drops.  

Gary B

2002 Monaco Windsor PBDD

Now we know more than we did.

If your transmission pad won't light up ?

Check for 4 white ground and 4 red, red pink wires attached to your batteties 

Maybe 12 to 14 GA. 

One of those feeds, powers  the transmission shifter and engine computer.

Review your wiring diagram 

About 8 years ago the previous owner had a similar issue.  It was a fuse of some sort.  When I recently bought this 1998 Beaver Patriot he showed me where the fuse was in the battery bay in case I ever had a similar problem.  Just an idea to check out...

-Dennis

5 minutes ago, Dennis-C said:

About 8 years ago the previous owner had a similar issue.  It was a fuse of some sort.  When I recently bought this 1998 Beaver Patriot he showed me where the fuse was in the battery bay in case I ever had a similar problem.  Just an idea to check out...

-Dennis

Yes

Each hot red wire is fused, 10 amp

But about 18 inches into the wiring harness from the battery.

Is a crimped connector. 

Mine came loose, intermittent. 

The forums told me what to check for after sitting for 24 hrs,  trying to leave for Florida about 10 years ago. 🙃

The fuse for the TCM (transmission control module) is inside of the VIM module (vehicle interface module) on my allison md3060. Sounds like the fuse is blown or the tcm or shifter module is bad. 

my VIM is in the front drivers bay, its a square aluminum box with 8 small bolts holding the cover on about 6 or 8 “ square box

hope this helps

2E58FEBA-3DAF-465C-831F-2FB7CBCE70BB.jpeg

5 minutes ago, MrAmbassador said:

A similar problem developed when the Coach batteries were replaced. Just like John mentioned the ground wires to the TCM were not making good contact. I cleaned each one and it worked perfectly. 

Jorge is correct

And several have had to replace the 10 amp fuse holder at the battery bay also. 

No power

No ground 

Nothing runs 

Also

Many change batteries and those small wires drop behind,  hide and are not hooked up.

Again

Nothing will function 😴

• Like 1

The Transmission Control Module will not even power up on their in-house test system.  They connected  their test module to my system and the engine starts and the systems are working.  They are now trying to find a replacement module for my coach.  They said they cost several thousand dollars.  I'm waiting to hear back from their parts manager on the cost and time frame.

Gary B.

2002 Monaco Windsor PBDD

The new TCM is $4,100, programmed and installed.  

13 minutes ago, burghere66 said:

The Transmission Control Module will not even power up on their in-house test system.  They connected  their test module to my system and the engine starts and the systems are working.  They are now trying to find a replacement module for my coach.  They said they cost several thousand dollars.  I'm waiting to hear back from their parts manager on the cost and time frame.

Gary B.

2002 Monaco Windsor PBDD

1 hour ago, burghere66 said:

Gary B.

2002 Monaco Windsor PBDD

The new TCM is $4,100, programmed and installed.  

Pay to play.