Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/493-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Delayed in Elkhart
Chet P
HWH Travel Mode
planodp
Delayed in Elkhart
John Haggard
Electrical tech needed
planodp
Kicking around a live-in Coach
Ivylog
Electrical tech needed
jimc99999
Load Shedding
W7BE_Bob
Load Shedding
Dr4Film
Delayed in Elkhart
flyinghi
Load Shedding
tmw188
amphi_sc
Load Shedding
tmw188
Rocker switch
Connie B
Ray Davis
Rocker switch
TigerMar
Chuck B
Load Shedding
tmw188
Load Shedding
Dr4Film
Delayed in Elkhart
vito.a
Muffler for ISC engine
pulsarjab
Muffler for ISC engine
Paul A.
Rocker switch
Paul A.
HWH Travel Mode
Gary Cole
Excellent Service
BennieH
Inverter Issue
jacwjames
Excellent Service
Dr4Film
JDCrow
Inverter Issue
Cubflyer
Inverter Issue
jacwjames
Inverter Issue
Cubflyer
Samsung RF197 not cooling fridge
pwhittle

Delayed in Elkhart
Chet P

We arrayed in Elkhart on July 10 for an 8:00 Monday morning appointment at Elkhart Sales and Service to have some fiberglass repairs, pealing clear coat repainted and the rear of the coach repainted. The job was scheduled to be done by Friday, so 4 nights in a motel. As not expected, the rear painting turning out to be a bigger job that planned so it wasn't quite finished by Friday evening. The crew came in Saturday morning to finis it up so we could have the coach Saturday afternoon and not hae to spend the week end in the motel. Certainly above the average concern for the customer. 

I should add that the quality, and appearance of the paint and fiber glass work is excellent. The color match is perfect.

As we left ESSI and headed to the local campground for a couple of days of catchup of laundry and other chores, one of the radiator hoses decided to fail and start leaking coolant.  After 4 days in the campground, I had stopped in at the local truck dealer, "truckcentersinc.com", who services the Detroit engines to get the coolant leak. I was surprised, they took us right in the shop and found the failed hose with in 10 minutes. Turns out this was a special hose 90 Deg. elbow that was 2" on one end and reduced to 1.5" on the other end.  There was none to be had in the area so they had to have one shipped in. We spent the night in their lot. The new hose  arrived and we were back on our way by 9:00am.

Truck Services in Elkhart is a first class operation and is th Freightlinner dealer in Elkhart.

Chet P

2004 Monaco SIG

HWH Travel Mode
planodp

Here a great site for HWH leveling system. I had the same problem, look at it for days finally got it in travel mode but loose all of the leveling function. End up taking it to Foretravel Motorhome in Nacogdoches, Texas. It end up costing 10 hrs of labor and $400 in part (level sensor). I had multiple issue with my system. They really know the HWH system and great tech that will explain thing to you.

http://www.allthingsforetravel.com/2020/02/25/hwh-emergency-leveling-valve-override-procedure/

This is all HWH system.

http://www.allthingsforetravel.com/category/hwh/

Delayed in Elkhart
John Haggard
24 minutes ago, Chet P said:

We arrayed in Elkhart on July 10 for an 8:00 Monday morning appointment at Elkhart Sales and Service to have some fiberglass repairs, pealing clear coat repainted and the rear of the coach repainted. The job was scheduled to be done by Friday, so 4 nights in a motel. As not expected, the rear painting turning out to be a bigger job that planned so it wasn't quite finished by Friday evening. The crew came in Saturday morning to finis it up so we could have the coach Saturday afternoon and not hae to spend the week end in the motel. Certainly above the average concern for the customer. 

I should add that the quality, and appearance of the paint and fiber glass work is excellent. The color match is perfect.

As we left ESSI and headed to the local campground for a couple of days of catchup of laundry and other chores, one of the radiator hoses decided to fail and start leaking coolant.  After 4 days in the campground, I had stopped in at the local truck dealer, "truckcentersinc.com", who services the Detroit engines to get the coolant leak. I was surprised, they took us right in the shop and found the failed hose with in 10 minutes. Turns out this was a special hose 90 Deg. elbow that was 2" on one end and reduced to 1.5" on the other end.  There was none to be had in the area so they had to have one shipped in. We spent the night in their lot. The new hose  arrived and we were back on our way by 9:00am.

Truck Services in Elkhart is a first class operation and is th Freightlinner dealer in Elkhart.

Chet P

2004 Monaco SIG

A great 👍 and positive story for once 

Reported,  Thank you 😊

water valve in bay; backflow valve failed
pulsarjab

Our 2000 Diplomat has similar issues. Earlier this year, a friend helped me take out the water valve. The company no longer makes a direct replacement so we cleaned the valve and the check valve and reinstalled and it works great. My friend had the Pex tools to connect the hoses, a big plus. To do this, the entire front face of the water cabinet needs to be removed, easier than it looks. It is about a two job. Also, if you are thinking about replacing replacing the sensors on the water tanl and holding tanks, this is a great time to do it. I am considering installing the Seelevel system and it would be very easy to do with the front face removed.

Electrical tech needed
planodp

You're in a great spot to get thing repair. Try Brian, Brianmoto773@gmail.com he use to run the Electrical department with Country Coach. He is now doing consulting work and some mobile service. Google "'my rv work" he is in the Oregon. https://myrvworks.com/contact/

Ivylog

JD. our daughter, slightly older, was about to buy a new diesel truck ($80+K) and a new 5er ($100K) to replace their 20 year old truck and 5er…not willing to trust them for a trip out West. This summer is probably the last time their college age kids will be home so it was now or probably never.

Granted they had the advantage of knowing how much we have liked our big Monaco’s and how trouble free they have been…dad can you help us buy a big rig. Had to be another big Monaco as the learning curve is steep and you need to be handy to own one…son-in-law is but when something doesn’t work, guess who he calls for the fix.

Once you’ve owned a big DP, it’s hard to go back to anything else, but it needs to be used. Partly to justify the cost and sitting isn’t good on them. Good luck on your choices.

Electrical tech needed
jimc99999

I'm not sure if Source Engineering just outside of Eugene, OR does much electrical stuff but it can't hurt to give them a call and ask. If they can't do it themselves, they may be able to refer you to someone.

Load Shedding
W7BE_Bob

X2 Your board is bypassed. Check the other picture and you'll see a CB wire to one terminal for the relay and the romex hot wire to the other for each device that's shedded.

Load Shedding
Dr4Film

Todd,

I suspect that your EMS board is the older version 684 with the 3 amp fuse and has most likely failed SO that's why it has been basically disconnected. Wires have been removed from the relays and tied together with wire nuts.

If you want to restore the EMS function to your coach, you will now need to purchase an Upgrade EMS Kit that includes a new upgraded EMS Control board (#894) with a current sensor, a new Display and two new electrical pigtails. Then follow the installation instructions as to how to set it up for the shedding order that you prefer.

There are vendors on the Internet that offer these kits. It should be under $500 for everything.

Delayed in Elkhart
flyinghi

How about some before and after pictures to see. Would be greatly appreciated

Load Shedding
tmw188
29 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Todd,

I suspect that your EMS board is the older version 684 with the 3 amp fuse and has most likely failed SO that's why it has been basically disconnected. Wires have been removed from the relays and tied together with wire nuts.

If you want to restore the EMS function to your coach, you will now need to purchase an Upgrade EMS Kit that includes a new upgraded EMS Control board (#894) with a current sensor, a new Display and two new electrical pigtails. Then follow the installation instructions as to how to set it up for the shedding order that you prefer.

There are vendors on the Internet that offer these kits. It should be under $500 for everything.

Thanks for the info, I’ll record the info you posted in my service manual. I think it’s going to stay the way it is for now. Front shocks are way more important on my list. 

amphi_sc

JD,

I see BCS listing an '07 PT.  Obviously not the same as ours as we have the full wall slide and office area in the back (ours is Winchester III floor plan, 45').  C-13 seems to pass anything but a gas station 😉, & no DEF nor DPF, NOT multiplex chassis, office desk in back gives us effectively 2 "work" areas with DW claiming dining living and dash for sewing & embroidery machines (flat dash works great for an embroidery machine) while I can spread out at the rear desk, two double sliding door closets, lots of storage inside and out, mid bath totally on one side is perfect as we feel 1/2 bath is a waste of space for us, etc etc etc Wouldn't trade for any floorplan I've seen and don't think we could find anything with as much storage.  We did remove one couch (jack knife) and use two lazy boys instead. We aren't full time but often 6-7 months in a row plus other short rallies so maybe 9-10 months out of a year.  Have had some "normal" problems over 130k miles but not really major. Can get behind to access and work on wet bay stuff (water pump, accumulator, cord  & hose reels, etc) from adjacent bay ... tight but workable.  Anyway, each needs to evaluate their own situation/wants but I would vote for an '07-'08 PT Winchester III as being pretty livable. No idea what they are going for these days.

FWIW,

Load Shedding
tmw188

Thank you all for your input. 

Rocker switch
Connie B

Hey all. I need to replace my switch in my wet bay for my sanicon. I have a 2006 Monaco Executive. Any suggestions appreciated. 

Ray Davis

Good morning JD,   I can see you are both thinking and planning.  I like to see young people looking ahead,   so many just coast along with no plan.

Thinking of your parents shows they did a good job too.  The good book says to honor thy father & mother 👍

The country is changing so fast who knows what the future holds.  Hopefully sanity will return and we'll get past this covid and gov insanity.

We have a real estate bubble of sorts here in north Tx prices are sky high, but I'm sure it will burst eventually.     I just hope I'm still around so I can buy something.  🤑

Tons of Californians are moving here and everything looks cheap to them.   I just hope they leave their Ca. politics back there.👎🏼

Back to the subject at hand,   you give valid reasons and as long as both of you are in agreement you can absolutely make it work.  

I bet after driving the Patriot Thunder, that's the one you'll be traveling in.

BTW really enjoy your posts

Rocker switch
TigerMar

Hi Connie,

I believe they are Carling rocker switches.  Do a google search for them. I have had to replace 2 of these in my dash.  Got them on eBay.

gary

Chuck B

FWIW, at 80 years of age, I can say I have been there and done that.  Both husband and wife need to be in sync about what their future plans are.  When life goes good, there are now no complaints or I told you so.  Life will deal you some bad times.  When it does, no matter the fault, both of you need to take the hit and move on.  That is easier for the male than the female.  Men tend to take the hit and put it behind him.  Women tend to be historical because they have the ability to remember what someone wore 20 years ago.  Planning for the future is good, but what about the quality of life you have getting to the future.  

When you arrive in the future, are you going to say the trip was great, or we wish we could had enjoyed the trip more?  For me, half the fun was getting there.  

Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Load Shedding
tmw188
2 hours ago, W7BE_Bob said:

X2 Your board is bypassed. Check the other picture and you'll see a CB wire to one terminal for the relay and the romex hot wire to the other for each device that's shedded.

Here is a full picture of my panel opened up. I did trace down the above bypassed circuits against the panel cover labels just for curiosity.  Before someone ask the panel is Not hot. 

9092C119-E651-40B1-A3FF-59E41FED0D59.jpeg

Load Shedding
Dr4Film

Todd,

Those four sets of wires that have been tired together with wire nuts are most likely for the front AC, the rear AC, the water heater and the washer/dryer.

The wires would normally have gone over to the appropriate relay on the control board in the order that they would be shed when on 30 amps or less shore power.

You will note that each wire coming from the CB is a different color whereas the wire that it is attached to is always black which is the load wire for the device.

Delayed in Elkhart
vito.a

Sounds like a long week.  Was that an upper radiator hose?

I would love to see the pictures also.  

Muffler for ISC engine
pulsarjab

Just did the same thing Robert U did. My diesel mechanic ordered a new muffler. He had to replace the hangers and all connectors as they were rusted thin. Note, the old muffler was nothing but a hollow tube. The entire inside was gone. It was past due for replacement. Engine seems to be running cooler. I suspect the exhaust heat was being blown through the radiators.   Just never stop learning. Thanks for the replies.

Muffler for ISC engine
Paul A.
On 7/19/2021 at 8:05 AM, pulsarjab said:

Our 2000 Diplomat needs a new muffler. I am looking for a like replacement. Where will I find the correct part?

Thanks

2000 ISC Diplomat

https://www.dynaflexproducts.com/  Largest Class 8 truck exhaust component MFG. in the U S A. Great product catalogue. 

Rocker switch
Paul A.
3 hours ago, Connie B said:

Hey all. I need to replace my switch in my wet bay for my sanicon. I have a 2006 Monaco Executive. Any suggestions appreciated. 

nwrvsupply.com and findmyrvparts.com 

HWH Travel Mode
Gary Cole

I should add that one needs to disconnect the level arm from the axle making sure that it stays in its neutral position in order to prevent air loss.

Anyone willing to venture a guess as to how much that week long service call to retrieve the coach with a temporary fix cost the customer? 

Excellent Service
BennieH

2 years ago we had an accident (by the way, it is legal to park/stop on a freeway in Illinois per IL State Officer - Long story) and had right front damage and a cracked windshield. Body shop did a fantastic repair and paint match. The glass people however were not so good ( INSURANCE CO CHOICE). I wanted a new gasket installed as the old one had some minor damage and the glass people said no, it's fine!

With pandemic last year we didn't really travel. This spring we noticed wind noise from the windshield and I could see that the right side gasket was bowing out. Insurance was no help because of the time that passed.

I contacted Elkhart Sales & Service to see who they recommended. RV Glass Solutions in Elkhart (they are nationwide) was who we were directed to. Got quotes from them (one gasket and labor only and the other new glass, gasket & labor if something broke. Prices were not as bad as I thought they would be.

Work was completed quickly, neatly, no need for glass replacement and it looks like new! The service tech, Del is a real pro!

If you need windshield repair/replacement, call RV Glass Solutions!

It finally happened, my alternator is dead
willbo777

Update on the alternator.  As I posted my first went out at 162,000 miles, I replaced it with a new one from AJ Electric.  At 1500 miles or so, the new one quit as I was going through the middle of Atlanta traffic.  We were going to a campground in Atlanta, so I contacted AJ Electric in North Carolina about warranty.  We pulled the bad new alternator and drove 160 miles to his shop where he confirmed the failure, and replaced it under warranty, but said maybe I had a problem with my coach?  I said nothing had changed since I have owned the coach, it has new chassis batteries, so I had no idea what it could be if anything.  We went back and replaced the alternator, drove it back to Florida, installed a Blue Sea ML-ARC, and then in the spring left for our normal travel, and today in the middle of Montana it quit again, 6000 miles later.  I am extremely frustrated.  Right now I am between Great Falls and Helena, and plan to be in Missoula for a couple weeks in about 2 weeks.  I can limp along with the generator if need be.  But of course Murphy is active and my 10 kw Onan is surging occasionally.  Going to replace the fuel filter tomorrow.  I called an alternator shop in Great Falls just before they closed and they do not rebuild Leese Neville, and didn't know of anyone that does in this area.  I am sorry now I didn't rebuild my old one.  Any suggestions, opinions, ideas, any would be much appreciated.

Inverter Issue
jacwjames

Yesterday I was running the generator with both AC's on to cool the coach down before going to bed.  Everything worked fine, I shut off the rear AC and was going to leave the front run a while longer.  About 3-4 minutes later the generator cut out.  It was dark and I didn't want to fool with it then.  Hit the road this morning and drove ~350 miles and am now parked at a Cabela's in Dundee.  I had the inverter running the whole time I was driving so batteries were 100% when I parked.

Started my troubleshooting.  Got a 3-3 code and a 3-6 code.  I primed the generator and it started right up but then died as soon as the transfer switch kicked in.  Turned off the breaker on the generator, it started and ran a long time but as soon as I flipped the generator breaker it died.

Went inside and shut off all the breakers, (main, Inverter 1&2, and all the breakers in the main and inverter panel).  Started the generator with the generator breaker on and it stayed running.  Went inside and flipped the main breakers, it stayed running.  I did this with all the breakers and with the inverter on and off.

Through trial and error I found that if I left the Inverter #2 breaker off the generator would stay running  and all the circuits are energized with the inverter on.  I am running 2 AC's right now.  I checked voltages at the panel and the main circuit breaker is receiving 119.3 volt from the generator. 

I checked my inverter, I have only 1 circuit breaker and it was not tripped. 

Anyone have any suggestions on what the problem may be.  I know that the inverter has pass through circuits that passes 120 volt on shore or generator power.  Not sure why, when I flip the #2 Inverter breaker on the main panel the generator dies.  Could it be a problem with the breaker itself, I may go buy one and swap it out if I can find a compatible one, but I'm doubting that is the problem.  My guess is something is wrong with the inverter.  Is there a problem with using the generator to charge the batteries via the inverter in this situation, it is currently showing 13.4 volt charging. 

I am on the last leg of a 5 week trip, will make one more stop and then headed home.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ivan K

If you are in a pinch and have couple of weeks...  besides buying an other one. Any idea what keeps failing? In the past I bought parts on the web and fixed ours, if you are up to it. If someone else can do it, we can usually too. The only hard part could be removing the front pulley but yours sounds pretty new. There should be a file in the alt section I believe or I could look it up in my archives probably.

High fuel pressure (never saw that before)!!!
jacwjames
This AM I was fueling up, I had let the coach run since I hadn't been on the road that long and thought getting it to temp was a good idea.
I pumped ~34 gallons of fuel an hit the $100 limit.  Swiped another card and as I was starting to pump diesel the engine started to sputter and stumble and puffed black smoke out the exhaust.  Quickly finished pumping fuel.
No lights came on the dash and I checked the VMSpc diagnostic display.  It showed.

ENG PID    94 10 Fuel Delivery Pressure      Abnormal Change   7/24/21  7:58

ENG PID    94  0 Fuel Delivery Pressure         High Reading      7/24/21  7:58

Both codes were inactive.  I started driving with my fingers crossed. Drove about 350 miles and the engine didn't act up a signal time. 

I do have a FASS transfer pump installed, not sure if it putting ~16psi to the injector pump might have caused the problem.  It never did this before, have ~4500 miles on the rigs since the FASS installed.

Any suggestions???

Check Transmission Light, no gear selection light??
burghere66

On my way to north western Iowa on I-80 my " Check Transmission " light came on and I lost power and use of the Transmission Shift Selector.  We limped into Omaha and stopped at Interstate Power Systems.  They closed at noon but said I could camp here when I arrive until they open on Monday at 7pm when they will take a look at it.   Over the next 2 days I'd like to see what I can do to diagnose and fix the problem.    Any suggestions from the group would be appreciated.

Gary B.

2002 Monaco Windsor PBDD

willbo777

I don't normally shy away from doing most things myself, although I have never done anything with an alternator.  Not sure how to test it or see what is wrong.  The guy I just spoke to in Great Falls says getting parts for Leece Neville is a bear so most just order them in.  It's a weekend so my hands are tied, but it looks like there is a battery, alternator, and electric place in Missoula.  I may have to wait until I get there in a couple weeks.  I'll look in the files.  Thanks

John Haggard
3 minutes ago, burghere66 said:

On my way to north western Iowa on I-80 my " Check Transmission " light came on and I lost power and use of the Transmission Shift Selector.  We limped into Omaha and stopped at Interstate Power Systems.  They closed at noon but said I could camp here when I arrive until they open on Monday at 7pm when they will take a look at it.   Over the next 2 days I'd like to see what I can do to diagnose and fix the problem.    Any suggestions from the group would be appreciated.

Gary B.

2002 Monaco Windsor PBDD

I'm certain that you have already.

But checking the uid level would be a start.

When were the transmission filters changed last ???

Did the transmission temp ever run high ? 

klcdenver

Sorry to hear you are having trouble. If Interstate does not have a hookup for you rig Cummins which is really close by has a few hookups which are not behind the secure area. Good luck.

There are a couple of wire connectors at the transmission. Make sure one has not come loose or something thrown from a tire and damaged one of them.

burghere66

I checked the transmission level before we departed and it was right on.  I can't check it now because the shift selector console will not lightup.  Also, as the manual warned me I would not be able to shift into to forward or reverse once I shut down the engine.  The service advisor said the transmission goes into limp mode which is what allowed me to get to Omaha.    I will check the connections near the transmission when the outside temp drops.  

Gary B

2002 Monaco Windsor PBDD

John Haggard
12 minutes ago, burghere66 said:

I checked the transmission level before we departed and it was right on.  I can't check it now because the shift selector console will not lightup.  Also, as the manual warned me I would not be able to shift into to forward or reverse once I shut down the engine.  The service advisor said the transmission goes into limp mode which is what allowed me to get to Omaha.    I will check the connections near the transmission when the outside temp drops.  

Gary B

2002 Monaco Windsor PBDD

Now we know more than we did.

If your transmission pad won't light up ?

Check for 4 white ground and 4 red, red pink wires attached to your batteties 

Maybe 12 to 14 GA. 

One of those feeds, powers  the transmission shifter and engine computer.

Review your wiring diagram 

Excellent Service
Dr4Film

RV Glass Solutions in Lakeland Florida installed my new Coach Glass windshield in February 2020 paid by my insurance company Progressive. They did an excellent job and also replaced the drip rail over the top of the windshield that had cracked and split. However, they did not replace the gasket as it was not damaged at all. They stated that the only time they will replace the gasket is when it IS damaged.

I plan to have them replace 4-5 side windows possibly this coming February after the Monacoers Gathering.

JDCrow
5 hours ago, Ray Davis said:

Good morning JD,   I can see you are both thinking and planning.  I like to see young people looking ahead,   so many just coast along with no plan.

Thinking of your parents shows they did a good job too.  The good book says to honor thy father & mother 👍

We oThe country is changing so fast who knows what the future holds.  Hopefully sanity will return and we'll get past this covid and gov insanity.

We have a real estate bubble of sorts here in north Tx prices are sky high, but I'm sure it will burst eventually.     I just hope I'm still around so I can buy something.  🤑

Tons of Californians are moving here and everything looks cheap to them.   I just hope they leave their Ca. politics back there.👎🏼

Back to the subject at hand,   you give valid reasons and as long as both of you are in agreement you can absolutely make it work.  

I bet after driving the Patriot Thunder, that's the one you'll be traveling in.

BTW really enjoy your posts

Thanks very much. My wife is an only child and she is very close to her folks. I never was close to mine. We just have always had the understanding to call when help is needed. This last winter I went to check on my folks and they had no heat for 3 days! Said they had a company come out and it was $3-$5 to fix their furnace. I was disgusted as we put the ohms meter on and had it figured out in about 30 mins, but my folks were insisting a tech come out again. For that kinda of money a whole new unit should have gone in and not a repair. I called a buddy and he had a tech friend and for $100 had it diagnosed. For $1500 we had it all fixed. Moral was, I need to check on my folks more and make sure who they are dealing with so they don’t get taken advantage of. 

They also tried to by a Truck in Maine of Craigslist way below wholesale. Woman wanted a “small” deposit in EBay escrow (no such thing) to ship it out and let them try it out. Stepped in on that one in time as well.

We have watched grandparents in homes, and been depressed. We will do our best to care for our parents, but knowing our limits. My Step dad wants the old Indian way out with a bottle of Jack left to die in a snow storm, uggg. 

We don’t have 401, Roth whatever. I’ve invested the best way I know, in myself. Our biz has grown, and will sell for retirement barring any big catastrophe. 

But again, just a plan. 

Dennis-C

About 8 years ago the previous owner had a similar issue.  It was a fuse of some sort.  When I recently bought this 1998 Beaver Patriot he showed me where the fuse was in the battery bay in case I ever had a similar problem.  Just an idea to check out...

-Dennis

Inverter Issue
Cubflyer

Does your panel indicate the amps being drawn from the Generator?.... if so, does it jump up, like way up when you try to put the #2 inverter on the load? 

I had problems with my generator when I was out on my 6 week trip, gen would quit with a 3-6 code, (which is a general code)... when I tried to run both A/C's and my (one) inverter to charge the batteries.... it was very unstable running.  I had fuel contamination in the past, (and similar surging and shutdown with a 3-6 code) and had changed the fuel filter before the trip and it ran fine (for about 45 hours).   So on the trip, I changed fuel filter again, ran fine for about 20 minutes and became unstable and shut down (3-6 code).  Knowing the fuel filter was not clogged (new), I disconnected the fuel hose and used my onboard air and a shop hose and blower nozzle to blow out the line from the generator to the fuel tank.... after a good priming it started and has run stable since (about 6 hours)..... maybe you are having fuel starvation problems..... clogging filter and /or supply line... 

Ken

Route Planning to Mesa Verde NP via CO 160 west from I-25 junction
mandms59
On 7/22/2021 at 4:36 AM, Mary & Glenn said:

Mark,

You shouldn't have any issue with Wolf Creek Pass. As with any of the high mountain passes keep an eye on your RPM's and don't lug your engine. Anticipate the climb and downshift when needed to keep the RPM's in about the 1,800 to 2,000 range to keep the torque up.

Depending on your schedule you can add some fantastic scenery as opposed to the boring drive down I-25. We used to live in CO Springs and moved to the Wet Mountain Valley (Westcliffe, CO) 6 years ago. It is a hidden gem 2 hours southwest of the Springs on the east slope of the Sangre de Cristo mountain range. It will add time and a bit of mileage to your trip but the Sangre's are a unique range that runs from Santa Fe, NM to Salida, CO. We have four 14K mountain peaks out our front door and the rest of the spine are 13K+ peaks. We have 2 nice campgrounds in town Grape Creek CG and the Wet Mountain RV Park. I'm guessing they are both full but keep in mind for future planning. There are only 2 roads into the valley from the north and one from the south. From the Springs the best route is through Cañon City and west on US 50 to Texas Creek which is right along the Arkansas River. This brings you past Royal Gorge which is beautiful, especially the train ride. At Texas Creek turn south on Hwy 69 which will bring you into Westcliffe, and continue south down to Walsenburg to pick up Hwy 160 west.

If you decide to stick with your I-25 route enjoy the ride, enjoy the mountains, take your time and don't sweat the trip over the passes.

Cheers, Glenn

Glenn,  we are on a timeline due to reservation availability in CO & NM in Sept.  we are staying at USAFA Family camp for 14 days and will be taking a few day trips to include Garden of the Gods/ Royal Gorge railway trip  ( Was happy to see Ray Davis endorse the ride above) and a few other biking excursions while there.  

We will keep your trip routing highlights/suggestions handy for our next stop through as we have friends in Denver area we visit (Lived in Arvada for 2 yrs before I retired from construction management and we started FT in Mar 2020).

R/ Mark

John Haggard
5 minutes ago, Dennis-C said:

About 8 years ago the previous owner had a similar issue.  It was a fuse of some sort.  When I recently bought this 1998 Beaver Patriot he showed me where the fuse was in the battery bay in case I ever had a similar problem.  Just an idea to check out...

-Dennis

Yes

Each hot red wire is fused, 10 amp

But about 18 inches into the wiring harness from the battery.

Is a crimped connector. 

Mine came loose, intermittent. 

The forums told me what to check for after sitting for 24 hrs,  trying to leave for Florida about 10 years ago. 🙃

Cubflyer

My FASS fuel polishing system runs between 18-22PSI (depending on engine load) have not had a problem.  Pressure reading "tap" is between FASS system and Secondary fuel filter, where the "primer" "lift" pump used to be (now plumbed out of the fuel system)

Guess I need to learn how to "see" those codes you mentioned.....

could this problem and your generator problem be related to fuel contamination??

Ken

Inverter Issue
jacwjames

I also did a service on mine prior to this trip including new fuel filter.  It ran fine up until it shut down last night. 

I can run both AC's now without a problem by leaving the #2 inverter circuit breaker off.  It was pulling ~36 amps with the AC's running.  Has shut down since and appears to be running smooth.  I have a spare filter and could try and change but if I can get by as is for now I'll wait until I get home. 

Jim

jacwjames

It does seem odd that I had a problem with both.  I did put in some Diesel Kleen and biobor this morning when I filled up.  The Cummins ran fine the rest of the day. 

When I turn the key on and the fuel pressure gauge cycles it stays right at 16 psi.  While I'm running with a heavy load it drop to 13 but recovers as soon as the load drops.

I have a Silverleaf VMSpc and it does have a diagnostic function/tab, the fault codes showed up there right after it was running rough.  I had gotten some fault codes in the past which I suspect were due to the old lift pump. 

Inverter Issue
Cubflyer

Except for getting under the coach, blowing the fuel line out was pretty easy (easier than the filter change) wish I had done that first (before changing the filter for the second time).... hope you track down the problem, I think I have mine solved... for now, time will tell...

Ken

Cubflyer

I also used "biobor" (Killem) after I changed the filters (both engines) and suspect dead algae may have been blocking the generator fuel pick up.... the main engine has a "serious" pump sucking on it !.... and I can always see the positive pressure on the inlet to the injector pump so I may never have a problem with it clogging, but I have no idea what those pick up actually look like... are they an open tube or do they have a screen or a "filter" ??...just do not know.

Ken

jacwjames

I think they are just open tubes. 

I will try and blow the fuel line but with the generator running pretty good right now I still think there is something wrong with my inverter.

Cubflyer

The Inverter could be the problem, causing the generator to "overload" and it auto shuts down to protect itself....  I think that is basically what mine was doing.... the generator was unable to "accelerate" to meet the load (due to fuel starvation) and would auto shutdown and throw the 3-6 code...

Hope you get it figured out.... it's a pain to not have a good reliable generator!

Ken

pwhittle

Back to not right today.

Pulled the cover off the evaporator and it was all iced up and the drain hole had ice in it.

Used a hairdryer to clear the drain hole and melt the ice.

Power cycled it and waiting to see if it starts to cool.

Paul

B9DFE6E1-DC1B-4C8D-A5DB-25215368B1F3.jpeg

jacwjames

Yup, this is the first long trip that I've had to depend on the generator.  Installed a Samsung residential so I need to be able to charge the batteries and in the extreme heat out west get the coach cooled down. 

If I figure out what is wrong I'll be sure to post. 

Oil blowback at Oil fill tube ISL400
mandms59

All,

This just started 2 days ago on our trip.  Yesterday halfway along our route we pulled over by a nice lake in SW WA after coming over White Pass.  When I went back to check out the TOAD I noted the right side had some oil splatter marks.  I opened up the access panel on back of our 07 Diplomat and noted that there was oil streaked on the cover and side walls plus the dip stick and Oil filler tube.  Thinking I had not re-seated the dipstick completely that morning after checking oil & thought it may have come from that location blowing out small amounts of oil in compartment - I re-seated dip stick it cleaned off everything in the compartment dipstick/oil fill tube/Air Filter sensor.... and continued on to the final destination.  I did not see any more splatter on car once we arrived... so figured problem was solved.  

Today we drove straight through to our next stay.  When I got here and went back to unhook car... well there was more spray on car's right side than yesterday.

Opened up the right access panel and could see that there was a couple drips coming from the bottom of the oil fill tube where extension tube slides in and out ( forgot to take photo at that time) ...  I wiped off a few areas so I could see if the was a hole somewhere in the fill tube or connection points (nothing I could readily see). 

At this point not sure if it is intermittent problem (e.g. under higher pressure loads climbing over the med uphill grades that some oil residue is being pushed out of fill tube seal area and then dripping down to mudflap where the wind catches it and then gets flung onto right side of car)

Or is this indicative of a larger issue -  something bigger than fill tube seal leak ???

Has anyone run into this problem?

Is there an easy fix - e.g. is the copper/rubber ring around extension tube replaceable?  Part number?

I attached a compiled photo markup sheet for reference.   we are not traveling again until 26th; so other than starting engine and have wife increase throttle while I stand in back  to see if I see anything leaking... next test would be Monday's trip south into ID.

I was going to wrap filler tube at junction point with duct tape to see if I could isolate it that way....

Thanks in advance for recommendations/fixes further T/S ideas.

R/ Mark

Oil Fill tube Leak.jpg

Stands
saflyer

Has anyone found a source for safety stands for motorhomes? I’d like something to put under the rails or jack stands to protect me when working under the coach in case of a sudden air bag rupture or leveler malfunction. Or is there a better option?

Ed

’05 HR Ambassador 

Stands
Dwight Lindsey

I got mine at Harbor Freight years ago.  They don't seem to have the heavy duty ones on their website now.

Lowes has 12 ton Jack Stands:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Torin-Torin-Big-Red-12-Ton-Capacity-Ratchet-Style-Heavy-Duty-Steel-Jack-Stands-1-Pair/1002625998

Two 12 ton Jack stands should support one end of the coach, which is the way I do it when changing oil or greasing the coach.

Dwight

Jon__C

The fuse for the TCM (transmission control module) is inside of the VIM module (vehicle interface module) on my allison md3060. Sounds like the fuse is blown or the tcm or shifter module is bad. 

my VIM is in the front drivers bay, its a square aluminum box with 8 small bolts holding the cover on about 6 or 8 “ square box

hope this helps

2E58FEBA-3DAF-465C-831F-2FB7CBCE70BB.jpeg

Stands
saflyer
5 minutes ago, Dwight Lindsey said:

I got mine at Harbor Freight years ago.  They don't seem to have the heavy duty ones on their website now.

Lowes has 12 ton Jack Stands:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Torin-Torin-Big-Red-12-Ton-Capacity-Ratchet-Style-Heavy-Duty-Steel-Jack-Stands-1-Pair/1002625998

Two 12 ton Jack stands should support one end of the coach, which is the way I do it when changing oil or greasing the coach.

Dwight

Thanks. Those may be just right.

Stands
JDCrow

The mobile oil change guy in Yuma had some Custom stands that were awesome. 2” steel square tube welded to large round bases. They worked great. Had had a couple of bases to switch to height he needed. I guess you could get 1 set since we had just one coach. I believe the steel tube was 1/4 inch 

Inverter Issue
Ivylog

3-3 is overheating and 3-6 is a fuel problem.
“I had the inverter running the whole time I was driving so batteries were 100% when I parked.“ Unless the generator was running, the inverter/ charger is not charging your batteries…the alternator is.

”2 inverter breaker” has me confused as most rigs only have a signal 30A breaker powering the inverter…doubt you have 2 inverters??? The one breaker you found on the inverter is for power into the inverter… there are 2 more, hard to see for the 2 circuits the inverter powers. One is for the micro and other for everything else the inverter powers. It appears to be passing power through so that’s not your problem.

Replacing the breaker isn’t going to change anything… need to figure out what it controla and doubt it’s the inverter…how many amps is it? Sounds like the extra load it puts on the generator is more than the amount of fuel can handle. Without the ACs running does it still shut the generator off?

Inverter Saga Help needed.
Jester1

I made rookie mistake and plugged our new to us 2000 Dynasty into a 30amp 220 outlet behind my shop. I just finished building our home and shop and was sure the outlet was 50amp. Well I guess my memory was short of what breaker I put in.🙄

With that said, I was running both ac’s while redoing the floors and one shut off. This is where I realized my mistake when I heard the transfer switch wigging out and shut everything down. I rectified my mistake and put a 50amp breaker in and this is where my problem starts. The Trace Rv2012 stopped charging the batteries and I lost 110v in the rv. Soo.. I ponied up and bought a new Progressive Dynamics pd62v transfer switch, which pretty much was a direct replacement. Next, Installation was a magnum 2012 inverter. All pretty much without difficulty . 

Soo… This is where I’m looking for help. When I power up anything ac power related all is good for a few minutes and than the inverter kicks in shutting of the two 110 legs. I get a “High AC” fault message on the controller. 

When I disconnect the inverter and provide 120v from my shop to each sub panel legs all is fine aka “Hardwire”. Everything works in the coach. I’ll also add that when the legs are going through the inverter I have 119v prior to turning anything on in the sub panel. I have checked all hots and neutrals for continuity and haven’t found a fault.

I’m at a total loss

Any input would be appreciated.

Inverter Issue
jacwjames
2 minutes ago, Ivylog said:

3-3 is overheating and 3-6 is a fuel problem.
“I had the inverter running the whole time I was driving so batteries were 100% when I parked.“ Unless the generator was running, the inverter/ charger is not charging your batteries…the alternator is.

”2 inverter breaker” has me confused as most rigs only have a signal 30A breaker powering the inverter…doubt you have 2 inverters??? The one breaker you found on the inverter is for power into the inverter… there are 2 more, hard to see for the 2 circuits the inverter powers. One is for the micro and other for everything else the inverter powers.

Replacing the breaker is going to change anything… need to figure out what it controls. Sounds like the extra load it puts on the generator is more than the amount of fuel can handle. Without the ACs running does it still shut the generator off?

I did pull the cover off and check the belt etc.  All was good there.  Also checked coolant level.  All good there.

The #2 Inverter circuit has the kitchen GFCI and the microwave on it.  It doesn't overload the generator, I've used the microwave a couple times along with the front AC and all was good. 

I ran both AC's for 1/2 hour and it didn't overload the generator. 

Everything is fine if I leave the #2 breaker off in the main panel. 

Jim Byrd
On 7/22/2021 at 7:31 AM, Jim Byrd said:

I had a similar problem with the same refrigerator, I found the refrigerator evaporator frozen up.  I checked with local Samsung repair facility and was told that most likely cause that refrigerator door were no being completely closed. I removes all  contents from refrigerator and freezer and unplugged power for several hours with doors open to allow refrigerator evaporator to defrost.

We had the problem when we had guest with us in the coach when we had this problem and don't believe they where not getting the doors fully closed.  We now make sure that both refrigerators are completely closed by firmly pressing the doors closed.

We have never had another problem since taking this little extra effort when closing the doors.  The Samsung repairman reported that it's not and uncommon problem on this model.

Jim

Your picture of the iced up evaporator looks just like mine did when I was having the same problem.  I even went to the trouble to remove the refrigerator to access the control board (accessible from top of refrigerator) to verify that defrost heater was was working. properly. .

Make sure you doors are sealing properly before you dig any further.

Jim

Ivylog

I’m confused…”I rectified my mistake and put a 50amp breaker in” is the outlet a 4 prong outlet?

Stands
Nevada Rob

I drive my 08 Dynasty up on 4 ea. 2x8"s stacked into a ramp. I have 4 ramps so when working on the rear area of the coach, all tires are supported. No possibility of any type of failure. I can drop all the air from the tanks and bags and still be able to get under the coach with no problem. 

Stands
Jim Byrd
38 minutes ago, saflyer said:

Thanks. Those may be just right.

Make sure that you don't buy a set that is too tall.  I purchased some 15 T ones and they are too tall,  They make some stubby ones that would better serve your needs.

Jim

Jester1

Yes, when I built my shop I had put a 30amp breaker outside with plans to put my compressor out there and never did.

It is now a 50 amp 4 prong 

jacwjames

X2, a 30 amp 220 amp is a 3 prong outlet, which doesn't have a neutral.  If you just put a 50 amp breaker it didn't solve the problem.  Also, is the wire a 6 awg for 50 amp.  30 amp may have had a 10 awg wire.  Not good if you used the same wire, could overload the circuit.

Inverter Issue
Ivylog

A fuel problem with a low hour fuel filter is often the electric fuel pump… not that expensive on EBay and even Amazon.

Still confused what the #2 breaker powers??? Have you tried no ACs and then turning #2 on?

pwhittle

Thx Jim,

There was a box in a top shelf on a door, and the flap was under the door seal. Removed that and will monitor some more.

Paul

Inverter Issue
jacwjames

#2 breaker feeds from the main panel to the inverter and then back to the subpanel.  The subpanel powers all the inverter circuits.  I think the circuits are the kitchen gfci and micorwave. 

I've been running the generator now for ~6 hours with the front AC running without a problem. 

Jester1

Jim,

It was and is a 4 prong. I had derated to a 30 amp at end of construction for placement of compressor outside. All 220 in our home and shop is 6 gauge. Prior to the replacement of the transfer switch and inverter the 50amp 4 prong was in place.

Just can’t figure out why I have correct ac voltage on all circuits until the inverter shuts it down. 

Rick A

Have you noticed a drop on the oil level or a drop in oil pressure? 
How much oil do you think you are blowing out. 
No smoke and noises is a very good start. 

Stands
Tony G.

This is what I  went with. They are heavy duty metal stands that were used on a loading dock. I got mine off of Craigslist. But they do sell them online. The new ones that can handle the weight are very expensive! Mine used were $700. But would have cost twice that amount new. Like some have said, you don't want them too tall. Mine are 8.5 inches tall and just fit under the motorhome.

You could also try stacking lumber to make a sturdy stand. There are instructional videos on how to do that on YouTube.

20210724_200833.jpg

Ray Davis

Probably over filled with oil.  Dip sticks are often wrong on these coaches.  Was the oil changed recently?   Any idea how much was put in?

Stands
TigerMar

As Dwight said, I got mine from Harbor Freight - 12 tons each and do the front and back one at a time.  I also built 2 ramps stacked in a ramp shape they are about 9 in high and 5 feet long. Easy to drive up on.  Cost about $60 in materials.

I

Jim Byrd
2 hours ago, pwhittle said:

Thx Jim,

There was a box in a top shelf on a door, and the flap was under the door seal. Removed that and will monitor some more.

Paul

You should be good to go.

Jim

Electrical tech needed
Xlr8ting1

Thanks for all the replies. We brought it down to Cummins in Coburg. We’ll see how that turns out. Someone there should have it together. I appreciate all the different replies. It’s nice to know that there are a lot shops down there that come with high marks. Flying home in the morning and we’ll wait and see what happens in the near future. My fingers are crossed…………Theo

waterskier_1

Without seeing exactly how it was wired, I can't say for sure what might have been damaged.  Regarding the last mentioned problem - you inverter - if I understand what you are saying, the inverter of the power panel is wired incorrectly.  Neither A/C should be wired through the inverter.  In fact, you should be able to cut the circuit breaker for the inverter input and it should not effect either A/C operation.  If you could post a diagram of how your garage outlet & breaker are wired, along with any adapters you made or used, I might be able to help. 

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.