Magnum Backfeed Fault

Admirial RVr

Never had this problem. . I was pluged into house 20amp and all was well. Un plugged moved RV and plugged in again got the Backfeed Fault on readout. Red light is on and the green charge light is flashing.Not sure if I need to reset or how. The Red light is solid not flashing and I am getting no battery charge. Running Generater and no charge to batteries but getting 120 volt on each leg.

2006 Diplomat DST 

Don  T.

Edited by Admirial RVr

20 hours ago, Admirial RVr said:

Never had this problem. . I was pluged into house 20amp and all was well. Un plugged moved RV and plugged in again got the Backfeed Fault on readout. Red light is on and the green charge light is flashing.Not sure if I need to reset or how. The Red light is solid not flashing and I am getting no battery charge. Running Generater and no charge to batteries but getting 120 volt on each leg.

2006 Diplomat DST 

Don  T.

Did you check to see if the circuit breaker for the inverter in the main AC distribution panel is tripped? Sounds like the inverter/charger is not getting AC from either  the shore or generator.

Bob, sorry for the short reply earlier. I was driving and asking my wife to type what I was saying. We are now in a CG and plugged into 50A. Still have same problem . Inverter is not turning on no charge and no invert. I do have one very dead 6 volt house battery and another that is close to dying. Checking voltage on house batteries is 12.2V.  The one very bad battery checks 5.8V. Can this be the problem? Not sure what causes Backfeed. Is there a reset process? Some say disconnect positive cable at inverter. Have not tried that yet. At home plugged into 20 A it kicked the GFI in RV and house.  Never had that before. I am going today to start my battery shopping. Sam's club price looks good. Not sure about changing to AGM . 

Thanks for your reply 

Don T.

2006 Diplomat DST.

If one of your batteries is shorted/shorting out that will give you the error. Sam's Club has the best prices on 6VDC but Batteries Plus comes in a close second. Also BP provides a better warranty on some of their batteries. I'd change out the batteries and see if your 'issue' goes away before I'd start playing with anything else. Bad batteries cause weird things.....let us know what you've done.... Sorry, an edit. I reread where you're currently in a campground. Try disconnecting your bad battery bank and reset the inverter. If it tests ok, then it's caused by the defective battery(s).......Dennis

Edited by Executive45

16 hours ago, Admirial RVr said:

Bob, sorry for the short reply earlier. I was driving and asking my wife to type what I was saying. We are now in a CG and plugged into 50A. Still have same problem . Inverter is not turning on no charge and no invert. I do have one very dead 6 volt house battery and another that is close to dying. Checking voltage on house batteries is 12.2V.  The one very bad battery checks 5.8V. Can this be the problem? Not sure what causes Backfeed. Is there a reset process? Some say disconnect positive cable at inverter. Have not tried that yet. At home plugged into 20 A it kicked the GFI in RV and house.  Never had that before. I am going today to start my battery shopping. Sam's club price looks good. Not sure about changing to AGM . 

Thanks for your reply 

Don T.

2006 Diplomat DST.

Don,

I have spent most of my life troubleshooting electrical stuff and one thing you learn early is when you find a problem fix that and then reevaluate the system before moving on. I would replace the house batteries before making any assumptions about what further problems make or make not exist. 

Bob, Great advice . I applied that to resolving my problem. Problem was solved by removing the shorted battery from the circut as suggested by Dennis. When I made that change everything reset and worked well. Now I am still looking for replacement batteries. Not real clear on AGM vs Lead/Acid. My Interstate set lasted 7 years which I thought was good. 

Again Thanks to you Both,

Don  T.

Don

Since you have to replace batteries anyway, I would certainly recommend AGM batteries rather than dealing with all the problems associated with flooded batteries.  I swapped mine out about 7 years ago.  I actually had one of my old 6 volt flooded batteries spring a leak.  It destroyed the entire battery box.  After rebuilding the storage box and creating new cables. I had to decide which type of battery to replace with.   I did not ever want a repeat of the leakage problem, so I went with AGM batteries.  I have found from experience that they charge easier with less heat produced, they give up amperage easier, so in general they just work better and there are no corrosion problems.  Seven years ago they were still pretty expensive, but they are much cheaper now.  They have been maintenance free for seven years.

Richard

Richard,

I am leaning toward AGM I'm not sure about specs or Brand. Been looking at Sam's club going to check Batteries Plus. So many to choose from. Does the AGM spec about the same as Lead/ Acid? From what I have read the Magnum is minimal change. 

Thanks

Don T.

Don

If you can find the 6 volt AGM deep cycle batteries at Sam's club, they will probably be cheaper than anywhere else.  Beware of the multipurpose RV Marine starting batteries.  They are not true deep cycle batteries.  I have only found the 6 volt AGM deep cycle batteries at Sam's Clubs East of the Mississippi.  I do not know why they do not stock them elsewhere.  Costco has started carrying AGM batteries, but only the starting batteries. 

Richard

Don

True deep cycle batteries are built with thicker heavy duty lead plates in order to sustain the long term drain and many charge/discharge cycles.  Starting  batteries are built with a larger number of thinner lead plates in order to sustain the high amperage short term discharge required to start an engine.  In our motorhomes, we want both types of batteries, starting batteries to start our big diesel motors and deep cycle batteries to power the accessories in our coaches.  Most of the 12 volt AGM batteries available on the market (such as those at Costco) are starting batteries.  Most of the 6 volt AGM batteries will be deep cycle batteries since it is uncommon in today's automotive world to require a 6 volt starting battery.  (The last car I owned with a 6 volt starter was a 1956 VW Beetle.)  Most all golf carts use banks of 6 volt or 8 volt deep cycle batteries which is why they have become popular as motorhome coach batteries.  Take a look at the website of Vmaxtanks batteries.  It will give an idea of the different type of batteries available.

https://www.vmaxtanks.com/Campers-and-Rvs_c_37.html

If I can figure out some way to make them fit in my battery box, I am going to order 4 of their XTR12-155 batteries.  You might want to consider their XTR6-235, which is their deep cycle golf cart battery.  When they refer to a battery as a "cranking" battery, that is a starting battery and not what you want.  Hope this helps in giving you some food for thought.

Richard

Richard,

Thanks for the info on VMAX. Those really look good. I spent most of todat looking for Batteries. There are so many options out there I just get more confused. So I will keep looking again tomorrow. 

Really appreciate all your guideance. Thanks,

Don T.