Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/497-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Load Shedding
jacwjames
Balance tire & wheel or not
Dr4Film
Load Shedding
Dr4Film
Load Shedding
tmw188
Load Shedding
Dr4Film
Adding a 2nd Inverter
jacwjames
Load Shedding
tmw188
Load Shedding
jacwjames
Condencer drip
Ray Davis
Scotty Hutto
Load Shedding
tmw188
Hose reel leaks
MHRookie
Condencer drip
jacwjames
Ivylog
Hydraulic Fan control valve
Chuck B
Condencer drip
Rikadoo
Dr4Film
Condencer drip
Ray Davis
Load Shedding
amphi_sc
waterskier_1
waterskier_1
Paul A.
Electric lock on sewer access door won't open
Mel S - '96 Safari
Inverter Issue
jacwjames
Oil Pan Replacement?
Dbircky
Hose reel leaks
Walker
Load Shedding
tmw188
Oil blowback at Oil fill tube ISL400
Chieflou
EGT Gauge Added
CRY1942
EGT Gauge Added
vanwill52
EGT Gauge Added
cterryl@sbcglobal.net
Hose reel leaks
Fonman
Inverter Issue
cbr046
Front and Rear Air bag part numbers
Mike in Va
Ray Davis
Load Shedding
Dr4Film
Inverter Issue
jacwjames
Kicking around a live-in Coach
JDCrow
Load Shedding
tmw188
Hose reel leaks
MHRookie
Great Service report
birdshill123

Load Shedding
jacwjames

Well, at least that's something. 

The system does rely on a generator sense wire that tells it when the generator is running and then it disables the shedding. 

If you don't want to wait to test the shedding I believe if you remove that wire it would tell you if it sheds.  I believe it on the J2 plug, middle wire. 

Dr4Film
12 hours ago, veraken said:

What  was the reason you went with Balance Masters vs Centramatics ?

I lprefer the design characteristics of the Balance Masters versus the Centramatics. Plus Barry at Josam's recommends them and I trust his judgment.

Basically, Balance Master uses liquid mercury in their ring, it's about as heavy as lead. Centramatic uses a hardened type of small lead shot running in synthetic oil.

It's simply personal preference like Ford versus Chevy.

Load Shedding
Dr4Film

Todd, that is more than I expected. At least both AC's are working correctly as those are the relays that usually fail first.

Possibly the entire board is OK. Have you checked to see if the other two devices hooked to the relays are working also? Those would be the electric hot water element and your washer/dryer.

Maybe one of the previous owners had been accustomed to using 30 amp service and didn't want to be bothered with the shedding system so he disconnected it or what a previous poster stated that they frequented a location where they used a 30/30 to 50 amp cheater adapter.

You just may have lucked out and saved yourself $500.

Load Shedding
tmw188

Richard no I did not check those loads but definitely will today. My wtr htr has been replaced by the previous owner to a tankless. That could explain the reason that was done too, if they stayed at the same place with a small service? Not crazy about that wtr htr much but it will be ok for now. 

Load Shedding
Dr4Film

I would imagine that the Tankless Water Heater is propane versus electric, right?

If so I wonder what the old circuit for the  electric hot water element is hooked to now?

Adding a 2nd Inverter
jacwjames

Just got back from a trip where I had problem with my RV2012 inverter. Still have not figured out what is going on, the inverter would work but it would not charge the batteries. I have some solar but not enough to keep up with the residential refrigerator I recently installed and misc draws even if I limit usage. Driving the coach would charge the batteries so I was able to get my doing that.

I now know that having one inverter can cause problems so I am contemplating adding a second inverter that has charge capability. This one had been recommended on another forum. https://www.ebay.com/itm/274876689397 The advantage of this inverter is that it would also serve as a charger when either running the generator or on shore power. This would give me 2 charging sources and I can use the refrigerator circuit to provide power to the refrigerator. Another benefit is that I can shut the other inverter down when not using any of those circuits and conserve batteries.

I am doing some work on the coach and think it would be convenient to do this now. My electrical distribution system is in the bedroom where I have the main service panel, inverter panel, and 12 volt distribution. I have a large cabinet that use to house an analog TV that I can mount the inverter and have easy access to the other panels. Behind these panels is the 12 volt supply from the house battery's, it appears like the wire is a 4 awg connection stud along with a ground stud. I could run a ~3' piece of cable to the inverter and pull 120 volt wire for the refrigerator circuit from the main service panel. Again a pretty easy install.

My question
Is it OK to use the existing 12 volt studs that would provide power to/from the inverter for both inverting and charging, the current wire is protected by a circuit breaker and ties back into the main 12 volt distribution system next to the battery bank. This circuit is currently controlled by the salesman switch so it can be switched when not in use.

Second question
Also contemplating adding additional solar, can I used the same 12 volt & ground studs to charge the batteries with solar or would this cause a problem. Do I need to run separate wires all the way back to the batteries, which would be a little more difficult but doable.

Load Shedding
tmw188
1 minute ago, Dr4Film said:

I would imagine that the Tankless Water Heater is propane versus electric, right?

If so I wonder what the old circuit for the  electric hot water element is hooked to now?

Yes LP only. The run at the wtr htr has been abandoned. I’ll look for the wire up in the panel. It must still be hooked up in the panel because there are 4 runs in there. I’ll look at one of the pics it probably is switched off?

Load Shedding
jacwjames

The old water heater circuit was controlled by the 12 volt switch for the water heater.  Behind the main service panel is  small 6" X 6" junction box, inside the box are 2 relays, one for the water heater and one for the block heater.  Both circuits controlled by 12 volt switches.  120 volt power is provided by the breakers in the service panel, goes into the J-box , connected to the relay and then out to the water heater and block heater. 

If the previous owner did not modify these circuits it may not be usable.

Condencer drip
Ray Davis
19 hours ago, Rikadoo said:

evacuator valves

Good morning Rik,   I'm late to this thread, and wondering what do you mean by evacuator valves?   I'm pretty sure no Endeavors were not equipped with drain tubes.

I remember quite a few yrs ago we were camped at " The land between the lakes "  in Tenn with another couple.  Humidity was off the chart,  and his A/C was dripping inside,  we thought the drain was clogged so up on the roof we went,  but no they were not clogged.  It was making water so fast that gravity couldn't keep up with it.

Scotty Hutto
1 hour ago, Dr4Film said:

I lprefer the design characteristics of the Balance Masters versus the Centramatics. Plus Barry at Josam's recommends them and I trust his judgment.

Basically, Balance Master uses liquid mercury in their ring, it's about as heavy as lead. Centramatic uses a hardened type of small lead shot running in synthetic oil.

It's simply personal preference like Ford versus Chevy.

Balance Masters all around on my Dip. Agree with Richard on all points… as a mechanical engineer, vibration is the enemy, and dynamic balancing is superior to static balancing.  

Balance Masters vs. Centramatics?  I like BM because of the reasons Richard mentions, but they both do the job well. 

Load Shedding
tmw188
25 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

The old water heater circuit was controlled by the 12 volt switch for the water heater.  Behind the main service panel is  small 6" X 6" junction box, inside the box are 2 relays, one for the water heater and one for the block heater.  Both circuits controlled by 12 volt switches.  120 volt power is provided by the breakers in the service panel, goes into the J-box , connected to the relay and then out to the water heater and block heater. 

If the previous owner did not modify these circuits it may not be usable.

Maybe?

Hose reel leaks
MHRookie

I cannot remember the name but I have the silver hose reel used for water.  I am having an issue getting the hose clamps to prevent leaks.  Can’t get the hose to seal on the copper connection.  Using radiator clamps (3).  Anyone got a better clamp?

good day,

Kurt

Condencer drip
jacwjames

I had been on a 5 week trip, part of which was out west during some really hot (+100F) weather.  Ran both AC and did not have a problem with condensation.  I had this problem last week, very humid.  The front AC started to drip but seemed to stop.  Went to bed and had some water on the floor in the morning but what was worse is when I shut the AC off a substantial amount of water came out (several cups of water) that I frantically tried to catch.  I suspect that the water was in the duct work and the fan kept it pushed up hill but when I shut the AC off it came flowing out.  

I know that there was was water coming off the roof, I didn't check the AC drain but will check to make sure it is clear.  I just redid my roof gaskets last year and made sure the lines were clear.  I added the new drain cups and tubing.  But it wouldn't take much for the drain pans to plug, small holes, one stink bug in the wrong place and it would plug.  By design they are suppose to overflow onto the roof.  

I'm going to check everything and run the AC and make sure it is working as design.  I may even drill a couple small holes in the top of the pans on both sides of the AC so that they overflow to roof faster to avoid any drips on the inside.   

Ivylog

5 oz of beads is the recommendation for a 315/80/22.5 that weighs over 115 lbs. That’s a 0.0027 ratio which says a big tire is well made. Sure, if I have a vibration I’ll do something to fix it.

Chuck B

Call Scott Zimmer former Roadmaster chassis expert at Source Manufacturing in Eugene, Or at 541-935-0308.  He will help you.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Condencer drip
Rikadoo
43 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

Good morning Rik,   I'm late to this thread, and wondering what do you mean by evacuator valves?   I'm pretty sure no Endeavors were not equipped with drain tubes.

I remember quite a few yrs ago we were camped at " The land between the lakes "  in Tenn with another couple.  Humidity was off the chart,  and his A/C was dripping inside,  we thought the drain was clogged so up on the roof we went,  but no they were not clogged.  It was making water so fast that gravity couldn't keep up with it.

So i call them evacuator valve, some call them ejector valves, either way its a rubber cap with a slit, an the wieght of the water would allow it to drain whithout allowing anything to make a nest in the tube cause a restriction. 
its a great idea however like everything else they have there own design flaws.

BC725737-7E9A-4F6B-866D-AA3879FDA807.png

Dr4Film

I think your 5 oz recommendation is significantly off from what the Dyna Bead Tire chart recommends which is 12 oz's per tire.

https://innovativebalancing.com/chart.htm#CommercialChart

Condencer drip
Ray Davis
3 minutes ago, Rikadoo said:

So i call them evacuator valve, some call them ejector valves, either way its a rubber cap with a slit, an the wieght of the water would allow it to drain whithout allowing anything to make a nest in the tube cause a restriction. 
its a great idea however like everything else they have there own design flaws.

BC725737-7E9A-4F6B-866D-AA3879FDA807.png

Thanks Rik,  That name is fine,  I thought that's what you were referring to,  I just wasn't sure.  

In the past I have heard them referred to as Duck Bill drains.,  LOL,  wonder why.

Apparently your drains are not connected to your A/Cs,  another one of Monaco's mysteries I suppose.  If you can locate the top end of the hose in the A/C cavity       above the filter in air chamber I think you could hook them up if that is something important to you.

Load Shedding
amphi_sc

I don't have this type of EMS so my memory could be way off.  Vaguely I think I remember that maybe flipping the block heater CB off will trick the EMS board onto thinking it is on 30A and start load shedding???? Anyway, If you flip off one breaker at a time you might see the display display 30A instead of 50A shore power service even if on a good 240V service (i.e. for testing load sharing purposes only if you don't have a 30A source available at the moment).

Remember, I'm getting older and my memory is fading....so take this with the appropriate grain of salt.  And you may have wired it back up differently than the unit I'm vaguely remembering.

Alan Hale

Thanks for the advice Dr4Film. That was basically the only path forward I could see other than a friend that asked if I had a SawzAll. In the end a well meaning park employee managed to break the key off in the lock after we both had tried to get some more movement out of it for what seemed like hours. At that point I assumed the lock was a goner so I used a large common screwdriver and was able to spin the lock back where it should be. Amazingly, it opened. With the door open I found that the fob would now work on it! Too late! I decided that I would never mind if someone was desperate to steal my sh*t they would be welcome to it. I unplugged the door lock for that door. Come to think of it, why would you even want a lock on that door?

Wiring Diagrams For 2003 Holiday Rambler Scepter 40 PST
David K

When I look at the 2003 Windsor diagrams, there is no three slide version (one passenger side and two driver's side) in the diagrams.  So, I am suspect the 2003 Windsor diagrams will be accurate.

waterskier_1

I've used Dana Beads on my last two coaches.  I have the shop remove them from the old tire and put them in the new tires.  They do not itemize a cost to do this on their bill.  I carry an extra bag in case of a catastrophic tire failure. 

waterskier_1

I have some info on the wax control valves which I thing you have - my 97 Dynasty did.  What is it not doing or doing wrong?  If you referred the lines to it that would cause problems.  Are you sure it's the controller and not the motor? 

Paul A.

Those hose access plugs are called, Deck Fittings, from boat application use. Hit the plug hard from the outside. Should pop right out. Then, Perhaps you can use a phone camera and take pictures of the linkage you need to actuate. Worth a try. Good Luck. 

Some coach owners may want to take pictures of those locking devises, inside the doors, and label them, ie; C-1 for curbside, and S-1 for Street Side. And of course each photo labeled accordingly. 

Paul A.
17 hours ago, Testdepth said:

96 Windsor, C8.3/275hp.

I have a hydraulic fan motor that the regulator is not functioning correctly. When I got the coach it was leaking pretty badly and would cycle fan speed somewhat erratically, but was essentially working other than the leak. (a small puddle where ever I stopped).

I drained the system, the ATF was a little dark but wasn't burned and removed the control valve unit. disassembled it and found one smashed O-ring one machined opening that was empty and another o-ring in good shape. The machined opening appeared to be for a crush washer or similar type seal.

I  replaced the 2 O-rings that were there cleaned the whole unit and reinstalled. the leak stopped but now the regulator works even worse than before. I can find no mfg. name on the unit anywhere and no one at any of the truck places near me that knows anything about them.

Is there anyone on the forum that knows anything about these or a former Roadmaster employee that might have some documentation on this crazy unit? I'm pretty certain it just need the correct set of seals etc and it would be back in business.

I would appreciate any help/knowledge anyone could provide.

Mike

Please consider calling Scott as Chuck B has suggested.  

Mel S - '96 Safari
36 minutes ago, Paul A. said:

Those hose access plugs are called, Deck Fittings, from boat application use. Hit the plug hard from the outside. Should pop right out. Then, Perhaps you can use a phone camera and take pictures of the linkage you need to actuate. Worth a try. Good Luck. 

Most deck plates, (aka: access plugs), screw IN & OUT.

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/H6c81b46a24d24e7882dd37a8cc2e5bc4S.jpg.

Inverter Issue
jacwjames

So I've started looking at my inverter.

I had both wires removed  from the main panel I checked ohms across the L1 and L2 inverter circuits in the main panel, these are the ones that feed power to the inverter. 

The L1 ohmed 0

The L2 ohmed 259, which I assume is bad.

I'm going to call trace and/or a repair shop and see what they say.

Anyone have any experience with this.  Options to repair/replace.

Thanks

Paul A.
10 minutes ago, Mel S - '96 Safari said:

Most deck plates, (aka: access plugs), screw IN & OUT.

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/H6c81b46a24d24e7882dd37a8cc2e5bc4S.jpg.

Thanks. I know that, BUT, i have had to access a compartment with them, and hit the cover, plug, hard from the outside and it poped right out. Learned it from a RV Tech many years ago. 

Dr4Film

I have two bottom hole plugs in my service bay, one large for the sewer that screws in and one smaller for the water that is a flip cover that snaps into the floor bottom.

What some people have done to prevent being locked out of older type lift up doors is to drill an access hole from underneath into the area where the door plunger is located. That will allow you to use a small round driver to depress the plunger enough to open the door.

Oil Pan Replacement?
Dbircky

Thank you.  

Gary M
1 hour ago, David K said:

When I look at the 2003 Windsor diagrams, there is no three slide version (one passenger side and two driver's side) in the diagrams.  So, I am suspect the 2003 Windsor diagrams will be accurate.

Your Scepter floorplan is just like the 03 Camelot PST. Unfortunately there is no 03 Windsor brochure to look at on REV’s website. Hopefully someone out there has drawings for your coach or the 03 Camelot. The Camelot may be your better choice. Ill keep my eye out for one.

Hose reel leaks
Walker

I would check your copper connections to make sure they are still round(-small radiator clamps have a habit of oblonging fittings). Cut the hose back to get a new section for the connection, if you have enough, and use crimp style clamps. Crimp style clamps provide a more uniform squeeze. 

Load Shedding
tmw188

Thanks amphi, not sure about that.               I talked to a Chris again today at Intellitec to get his opinion on whether or not things may be operative because of what I was getting on my display. He said said Maybe. I asked him about stepping down at my house from a 50-30 then plugging into that? He didn’t know for certain but didn’t think it would be a good way of checking it out. I then said what if I plug into my 20a in my garage and then use my adapter to go up to the 50a on the coach, then go in and step down the display to a 20a feed. He said if I was wanting to do that to call him and he would walk me thru doing that and there was some things he would have me run thru.  He said those bypass work arounds are dangerous even if you think your managing your loads. I think we all understand that statement. 

Ray Davis
2 hours ago, David K said:

I have an 03 Windsor PST with the slide arrangement you described.   So don't rule the Windsor out for that reason.    Even if you find the diagram for your coach I'm not  at all sure they will match exactly.

Chieflou

Mark,

I keep going back to your initial complaint:  oil coming out the dipstick tube.  That specific issue has no relevance to oil pressure.  Oil coming out tube will only be caused by higher than normal crankcase pressure (blow by) which goes to what others have already mentioned -- restricted crankcase breather filter or tube. Fix that and your dirty toad problem should be resolved. 

Then regarding oil pressure.  As has been mentioned, overfilling could be a factor there.  Specifically, as Ray D. posted, your dipstick markings could be inaccurate, a common issue I've noted others mentioning on the forums.  Inaccurate markings could lead you to overfill which will cause numerous problems.  And the engine will almost certainly "get rid" of that excess oil all on its own.  Before spending money on diagnosis, you could confirm or eliminate this possibility by draining your oil then carefully measuring and refilling with the amount of oil stated in your owners manual.  After filling, check your dipstick. If accurate, press on with further professional diagnosis.  If stick is off, use a fine-cut file to create a new (accurate) full mark on the side of stick opposite the factory marks.

Hope this helps, best regards,

Lou S.

EGT Gauge Added
CRY1942

VanW; would be interesting to put an EGT on an electronic engine to see what it does. No doubt Cummins years of experience with diesels, they probably have it figured out pretty well. My limited knowledge, but shifting the Allision down on a climb will increase RPM as you suggest and move more water through the radiator to help cooling.

EGT Gauge Added
vanwill52
7 minutes ago, CRY1942 said:

VanW; would be interesting to put an EGT on an electronic engine to see what it does. No doubt Cummins years of experience with diesels, they probably have it figured out pretty well. My limited knowledge, but shifting the Allision down on a climb will increase RPM as you suggest and move more water through the radiator to help cooling.

My 2000 Dynasty has the ISC-350 engine, and it is electronically controlled.

EGT Gauge Added
cterryl@sbcglobal.net

Back in the day before electronic engines some guys would open up the fuel pumps on their trucks so they could be first to the top of the hill. Didn't always make it because they would pull a sleeve or burn up a piston. If you set you had your fuel pump set a a derated horsepower you could just drive the truck and not spend your time worrying about it. I think the electronic controlled engines now you can just drive unless you have altered it with a chip or something. Thirty-eight years of experience here with my own trucks and one motorhome.

Hose reel leaks
Fonman

Any chance the water pressure is excessive? Time for a regulator?

Hose old and hard?

Inverter Issue
cbr046

If you're creative you can disassemble both units and compare resistances on the output components (mosfets?).  L2 is dead anyway, what else can you do to it? 

When you find the mosfet / component that's different resistance get the numbers off the device and order from a supply house (DigiKey, Newark, etc) for pennies on the dollar (compared to inverter replacement).  If you can't get an exact match order a beefier one but order the complementary side also.  I did this with a 400W portable inverter that had 4 output transistors and saved the unit.  Well, until the battery wouldn't hold a charge anymore.

Just a thought.  L2 is a boat anchor anyway, right?

- bob

Front and Rear Air bag part numbers
Mike in Va

I'm getting Jim at source engineering to get a ride enhancement kit for my 2001 Holiday rambler. I contacted two RV garages in the Richmond Va area to complete the install for me. One said no, the other wants to look at the kit first before they will comment. I may get a little help and try to do it myself. My kit only covers the front air bags, not the rears one, but does include rear shocks.  Any advise or if anyone knows of a garage that may help in the area let me know. Thanks       

Ray Davis

We have some excellent advise so far.   I agree with Chieflou except for referring to the manual since it may be wrong and may be the source of the problem. 

Bill D our founder RIP and other old timers that had already fought this war told us repeatedly that the literature is often wrong, that it quoted oil capacity for a new        and empty engine.

Since we cannot drain the engine completely,  some oil will remain,  so if we use the amount for an empty engine we will always overfill.

The engine will blow the excess oil out of the breather tube which may be where the oil is really coming from .if it's to full.

Oil change paces are known to do the same thing.  They use the same inaccurate literature,  even Cummins.  They just Google engine oil capacity.

Assuming the OP has an ISC 8.3,  hopefully someone with the same engine will chime in with the correct info.

Gary M
2 hours ago, Ray Davis said:

I have an 03 Windsor PST with the slide arrangement you described.   So don't rule the Windsor out for that reason.    Even if you find the diagram for your coach I'm not  at all sure they will match exactly.

So Ray

Are the drawings in our files for the 03 accurate to your coach? So maybe the 03 Windsor,03 Camelot and 03 Scepter are close for that year?

Load Shedding
Dr4Film

I don't quite understand what is so "dangerous" in regards to using a 20 amp shore power supply to check out your Intellitec EMS Control Board.

Basically you first want to make sure that all high amp devices are turned off and you set your Inverter/Charger to Maximum Charging Amps of 5 instead of 15.

Then make sure you are using a 20 amp receptacle not a 15 amp one. Then plug your 20 to 50 amp adapter into your power cord followed by plugging the adapter into the wall receptacle.

Then go inside and push the 30/20 button to select 20 amp setting. You should have 6 device lights lit up along the right side of the display.

Now turn on the front AC which should be the THIRD device to shed and view how many total amp's it is drawing. Next turn on the rear AC which should be the FIRST device to shed. The board should now shed the rear AC as there are not enough amp's to run both AC's on 20 amp's of shore power.

I'd be interested in what Chris has to say about what is dangerous.

Inverter Issue
jacwjames

The tech from Xantrex said that I could buy an external transfer switch but considering the inverter is ~20 years old and I'm starting to have trouble with it I think I will replace it.  Not going to take a chance getting stuck in the middle of nowhere with a problem like this. 

One thing I am going to do is install a second inverter just for ht refrigerator that also will be able charge the batteries.  Having this as a redundant unit makes sense for probably ~$500 .

JDCrow

Well, checked over the 05 Patriot, and wow, just wow. The poor coach is on life support. Slides leak, Aqua hot is a mess, paint peeling, cabinets a wreak and on and on. Needs so much work. 

We really liked the 06 Marquis, but even then new flooring, updating appliances, lack of cabinet space and the very dated 1/4” lacquer fogged cabinets. 

We looked at a Riverstone 5th wheel, while 3” walls and 5” ceiling insulation was nice, the fit, finish, and quality was way lacking.

Then we saw…. It. And it’s ours 

Load Shedding
tmw188

I think it was about the bypassing of the system and trying to manage the loads yourself. Not all can do it safely and could forget to do something. The wife won’t understand any of it that’s for sure and could turn something that you specifically told her not to. He probably probably want to walk thru exactly what you lined out. 

Hose reel leaks
MHRookie

Park pressure isn’t the issue… I’ll have to mess with the hose connection.

thanks.

Chieflou

So Ray, not disagreeing with you, but enlightened -- the manual accuracy question.  So how do we (any of us) discern with confidence the proper oil volume?  I understand the issue of Cummins not being able to speak to technical details of items/systems "hung" on Cummins engines by the coachbuilders.  But the oil pan (only variable to affect oil volume spec on any given engine) was definitely a Cummins installed component.  That said, can Cummins not provide definitive (read trustworthy) oil volume specs for a given engine they manufactured?

Then on the drain/measure/refill advise I offered before.  I neglected to state that you should replace oil filter with new as part of that process. Because there will be a significant volume of oil in the filter to throw measurement off.  

Finally, and again, not a disagreement (not that much expertise) but wouldn't the manf recommended oil fill specs be based on an already prelubed engine?  If not, it makes no sense.  That would mean every one of us should be trying to ascertain the volume of oil in our prelubed/drained engine then deduct that volume from the manf recommended fill spec.  Looking for more enlightenment.

Great Service report
birdshill123

Nice report. Velocity has many locations. Which one did you use?

A/C
Duanebalogh

We have a 2006 Monaco Executive  and we have 3 A/C the front one works but the middle and back ones wont go on. We checked all the brakers and their all set.  Could someone  he me on that.  Second. On our front Monitor Screen  it comes up saying  NO AC PRESENT. It is plugged in and both legs of the power are hot. thank you Duane

House Batteries not charging while under way.
whaley96raw

Are there any pics or info about what the BIRD is? And the Big Boy relay?

I have the same problem on my 2006 36’ Cayman w/300hp Cummins

Inverter Issue
Ivan K
3 hours ago, cbr046 said:

If you're creative you can disassemble both units and compare resistances on the output components (mosfets?).  L2 is dead anyway, what else can you do to it? 

When you find the mosfet / component that's different resistance get the numbers off the device and order from a supply house (DigiKey, Newark, etc) for pennies on the dollar (compared to inverter replacement).  If you can't get an exact match order a beefier one but order the complementary side also.  I did this with a 400W portable inverter that had 4 output transistors and saved the unit.  Well, until the battery wouldn't hold a charge anymore.

Just a thought.  L2 is a boat anchor anyway, right?

- bob

That sounds exactly like what I would do, keep the B running unless I had compelling reason to upgrade. Electronic components are cheap and there is nothing to lose at that point. It does take some knowledge tho and that's where the repair cost is.

2003 Dynasty slide switch
TOBYLB4

Rockerswitch.com they have rocker switch made.

Inverter Issue
jacwjames
3 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

That sounds exactly like what I would do, keep the B running unless I had compelling reason to upgrade. Electronic components are cheap and there is nothing to lose at that point. It does take some knowledge tho and that's where the repair cost is.

I am ordering a 2nd smaller inverter that I will use to power the refrigerator and also be able to charge the batteries.  Once I get this installed I will pull the Xantrex inverter and look at it. 

But I am skeptical of repair.  The inverter is 20 years old, how much time and money should I throw at it.  Plus the last thing I need is the inverter fail again during a long trip.  Got lucky this time in that it failed at the end of my trip, I cut my trip short at 5 weeks but was looking at another week. 

I am in the planning stage of an extended trip out west.  Don't want to have to worry about the inverter.

Inverter Saga Help needed.
Jester1

Update,

So after much troubleshooting, I had a ac compressor that was going bad and was pulling so much amperage (38 amps measured) the new magnum inverter would shunt from pass through to inverter mode before tripping a breaker. Once I deleted the inverter and connected both legs together the coach front AC breaker tripped when connected to shore power. The inverter saw high amperage and self protects per Magnum Tech.

Anyhow, thank you for those that had helpful input. Much appreciated 

Load Shedding
Dr4Film

OK, got it!

He probably thought you still had the board bypassed and out of the circuit completely. I guess he misunderstood your question and objective.

Inverter Issue
Ivan K

These are all good considerations. Time is a consideration as well. Cost can be a few dollars if you can identify the failed component unless the board is just burned beyond use. Sometimes there are boards for sale cheap too. I don't worry about the age of electronics if what they still do is what I need. Older units are usually easier to repair than the new technology and these days everyone just throws new boards at them in 5 minutes and charge what ever they can, just like with everything else. I just like to tinker with things when I have the time. I used to repair TVs and such in my young years so that helps.

Inverter Issue
jacwjames

I called Xantrex tech support and told the tech the symptoms including the 259 ohms on the L2 feed wire.  He said that was an indication the internal transfer switch on that leg was bad and they did not sell that part.  Suggested I source an external transfer switch. 

Once I get the transfer switch out I'll see what it looks like and see what I can do. 

Dash air
BobSchmeck

We have a 2001 Diplomat. We are losing coolant R134A for the dash air.  The hoses are 21years old. I'm 95% certain they are the problem since I have had to repair 1 already. It helped but did not totally cure the loss. I have to add refrigerant every 4 to 6 weeks. I have checked every connection that I can find. The schrader valves are not the problem.  Compressor is fine. So here's the question: Has anyone had to change out the hoses, and how did you do it? All the AC shops say they run it under the coach, but that does not seem like a good solution to me. I have no idea how to gain access above the cargo bays to put the hoses in the original location.  

Dash air
Robert U

They do run under the coach. I have a 2000 Diplomat and to add a can of freon a year. Look at the connections at the condenser for oil around the connections. Also in front under the hood.

Bob U 2000 Dip

Dash air
MrAmbassador

Bob, just a suggestion the next time you add Freon add the type with leak detection. After a few days of running it check the hoses, connection and compressor with a UV light. Hope you can find the leak. 

Hose reel leaks
Gary 05 AMB DST

I had the same problem and I think it is the washer that seals the turning reel on the water inlet. I just eliminated the reel hose and put a new short hose that connects to the supply hose. Just waiting to get the courage to remove the whole reel assembly to rebuild it. The assembly is attached to the bottom of the upper floor and the lag bolts are hard to get to. 

Gary 05 AMB DST

waterskier_1
49 minutes ago, Jester1 said:

Update,

So after much troubleshooting, I had a ac compressor that was going bad and was pulling so ch amperage (38 amps measured) the new magnum inverter would shunt from pass through to inverter mode before tripping a breaker. Once I deleted the inverter and connected both legs together the coach front AC breaker tripped when connected to shore power. The inverter saw high amperage and self protects per Magnum Tech.

Anyhow, thank you for those that had helpful input. Much appreciated 

Are you saying someone wired a roof A/C through the inverter?  Was this done in an attempt to run that A/C off the inverter & batteries? 

A/C
vito.a

The rear two ACs are controlled from the rear thermostat.  I'm guessing it's in the bedroom. It has a small black switch on the bottom.  Slide it towards the rear to turn on.  Depress the mode switch until you see AC in the display. Set the temp to about 72 degrees and the fan to Auto.  

Now depress the bottom zone switch to display the second zone. Then set the mode switch to AC again as well as the temp and fan.  

It takes 5 min before they will turn on.

Good luck!

Dash air
vito.a

The hoses and wires are routed through a center channel in the coach that starts behind the front axle and ends in front of the rear axle.  The channel is below the interior floor and above the basement ceiling. You may have to remove the basement ceiling covers to aid access. 

The difficulty is the original hoses are secured in several places and may be very difficult to remove.  

This area is fairly well protected and unless the hose has rubbed on something it should be in good condition (at least the portion in the tunnel).

It is possible to cut the original hose and swedge a new fitting on it with the proper tools.  Then route a new section to the compressor in the rear and to the dryer up front.   

Best of luck!

Dash air
woodylmiller

I agree with Vito, new hoses would be a nightmare to install.  A hose shop should be able to cut and splice new ends at both ends of the hoses if that's where your leaks are.  An appliance shop should have a Freon sniffer to find your leak.  They just wave it around your fittings and it will beep if it finds Freon.

Woody Miller

Chargerman

Wow. Congratulations!!!

Dash air
BobSchmeck

Vito

Thanks that is what I was thinking.  I  have had to learn how to look for leaks, put die in the system,  evacuate, recharge. The 1st time was $250, thst lasted 2 days. 3 days later I found another leak. He charged $175 that time. I made it form Phx to Chinle. Had a hot trip to Cortez Colorado. Got a good Scorpion light. Comes in handy to find those nasty critters when not looking for ac leaks. Thats when I  learned how to recharge my self. Found leaks when the so-called pros couldn't find any. Have had 1 end replaced.  Lucky to have found a person who would do that. He retired, dang it.  I'm down to every couple of months or when we make a trip. Now I carry a 6 pack & a set of gages. Just running out of places to look. After the sun sets tonight I  will be  looking again before I recharge for the trip in 2 days. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.  

Thank you for your input. 

Woody. Yes I  have used the sniffers before. Could not find any leak. I don't have that tool. 

You would think in a town the size of Phoenix I should be able to find someone to splice a hose. Every shop has said they can't put a 38ft in there shop. Have not been able to find a mobile either.  

Ray Davis

Lou,  I should have looked closer.  I see you are a Vet and new on Monacoers.   Thanks for your service and welcome to the group.

I certainly wasn't disagreeing with you,  only pointing out the dilemma in determining the correct amt.

Cummins says 6.3 gals       http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/engine/ISC350_specs.pdf    Again, that's more than likely a new dry engine.

Heres a thread where they say 5 gals       https://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/isc-350-oil-capacity-230891.html

another thread   https://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/oil-capacity-197561.html    here a poster says his takes 21 qts and the oil change place always put 24 qts 3 of them ends up on his car.

There is a good chance that is what happened to the OP.   

Dash air
Ivan K

If you happen to drive around DFW and have the parts, I would crimp it for you. Or invest in portable AC crimper, might not be much more expensive than what you would pay someone. Also, sniffers don't work well in the wind.

Condencer drip
Rikadoo

Ya know... i was just sitting hear lettin my dinner settle, what if i used a smoke machine connected to those tubes, then i could locate the other ends alot easier. It sure beats pullin things appart lookin for stuff. Last year i painted my roof on  the coach an i got to say im done crawlin around up there if i dont have to. 

Ray Davis

I like it,  no,  I love it.   Very, very good looking

Where is overflow for fresh water?
IlliniCathy

We have a 2002 Knight,  we have not found the overflow for the fresh water tank.  It seems that the tank must be full, but the water just keeps going in without coming out anywhere on the ground or on the inside.  Can you guys help us out?  This is a new motorhome to us and we sure love it.  Thanks all.

Condencer drip
Ivan K

You know that you get to the drain tubes from inside, right? And you have compressed air, all you need is a screwdriver and an air hose.

EGT Gauge Added
CRY1942

Bone stock, mechanical, C8.3, no experimenting for me, just drilling the EGT sensor, pre-turbo was enough of an experiment ! LOL.

Will be off to Fredericksburg, TX on Friday and look forward to watching how the EGT Gauge works over the mountains (well actually hills here in TX  :classic_smile:).

Appreciate the input from all, everyone have a great day and travel safe.

John Haggard
14 minutes ago, IlliniCathy said:

We have a 2002 Knight,  we have not found the overflow for the fresh water tank.  It seems that the tank must be full, but the water just keeps going in without coming out anywhere on the ground or on the inside.  Can you guys help us out?  This is a new motorhome to us and we sure love it.  Thanks all.

You say

It seems that the tank must be full ?

Is it or isn't it 🤔

My overflow is in the center of the coach under the fresh water tank.

Are you certain that your ( filling the tank )

Run a faucet and see if you have pressure or not as you fill.

You should NOT 

Dash air
BobSchmeck

Ivan.

DFW.  Dallas,  Fort worth ? May be down that way in the spring.  Headed to Colorado & Casper this trip. Might have to invest in more tools.  Lol

A/C
Duanebalogh

We did all that and it still won't come on

Coolant flush and refill, latest info
woodylmiller

Getting ready to flush and replace coolant.  Was looking for a guide on the type of coolant to use.  ISM500 engine, looking for what is the best coolant these days.  What is the latest trend in coolants?  Thanks,

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty Regal IV

Dash air
Ivan K

I have a car shop by my house, about 30 miles north east of Dallas, 2 miles from Lake Lavon. Now I only open for friends and family, when home. Number of parks around the lake.

Gary 05 AMB DST

Cathy, on my 05 Ambassador, the rear of the tank is higher than the front. From the front, the water level is even with the top of the tank but if you open the access panel on the passenger side you will see the water is about 2" below the top.

Gary 05 AMB DST

Adding a 2nd Inverter
Gary 05 AMB DST

Jim, I used a regular battery charger plugged into a inverter circuit or by running the generator.

Gary 05 AMB DST

Jester1

Waterskier,

That is a no.

Bare with me…

Shore power goes to transfer switch

Transfers to main panel. 
50 amp breaker feeds to two 110 Romex to inverter, through inverter to sub panel. This is and was factory wired.

After extensive consult with Magnum Tech a excessive amp draw above 30 is seen as a ground or neutral fault. Self protection.

Soo.. the two 110 legs are designed to go through the inverter when shore line is used. Since the Ac high amp draw is sensed as a open neutral or ground fault it self protects. 

As factory wired it will run AC off of batteries/inverter. Do to the bathroom 110 outlet and Ac are on the same leg.

Mark with Mark Snyder electric (look up his website) explained the same concept as the Magnum Tech. Mark also stated older coach builders would wire in this fashion. Most have changed this method I guess. 

I decided to have our Trace Rv2012 sent for repair and re install after the Ac or Ac units are replaced. Original units. Yes I have replaced the condensers but there is to much draw on the front unit.

Thanks too all that had helpful feedback

A/C
Ivan K

Not a sound of fan or even buzzing from up there? If not, the phone type cable at back of the thermostat may need cleaning. The other side of the cable may be a suspect too if that does not help. There should be a phone cable connector/splitter behind the inside difuser, likely connecting 2 gray cables and one black. If it comes to it, I would, start with whatever is your zone one, probably the bedroom one. 

oil drain plug washer
Moonwink
On 7/26/2021 at 4:03 PM, obb_taurus said:

I was a little concerned about it needing to be a copper washer, I have been trying to find one with no luck.  I have some metal ones but I don't know if they will be okay to use.  Does anyone know if I could use the metal washer I have?

Thanks

Take the washer and plug to any good auto parts store (I recommend NAPA) and they will give you a new copper washer of the appropriate size.

redstickbill

Cathy,

I am not familiar with your coach. At times when I got "too" busy trying to get underway and filling the fresh water tank on our 2004 Endeavor, it would overflow and show me where the overflows were under the coach. Other than a wet mess it should not hurt anything.

Bill B 07 Dynasty

Chieflou

Ray,

Thanks much for your thanks.  I feel thanks are needed much more for those currently serving (my son included).  Very tough time to be in the military right now ... as active duty suicide rates demonstrate.  Prayers please for all those in uniform now.  That includes members of our police forces who are these days serving in a capacity every bit as life threatening as our military combat troops.  And being horribly treated by some as the serve.

Sorry for the digression, back to oil. 

I was not at all offended by your comments, my post was meant to thank you for enlightening me to the dilemma.  And it seems the dilemma is, to this day, unresolved, yes?  I like the idea in one of your posted links about contacting Cummins with the oil pan P/N for a capacity readout, cause the pan is really what determines that number.  Have not had any issues regarding oil with my Camelot so far, but it I ever do, the knowledge gained from this thread will help guide me to a resolution.  

Thanks to all for the wisdom and information.

Best regards,

Lou S. 

Coolant flush and refill, latest info
vito.a

I used Cummins Compleat OAT. 

Link to detailed thread:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/changing-green-sca-coolant-for-new-cummins-compleat-oat-389479.html

I later needed a few gallons after changing a hose and used Peak OAT from Walmart.  

EGT Gauge Added
cterryl@sbcglobal.net

Pre-turbo not a good idea. If probe fractures and breaks it will destroy your turbo. I have never seen a truck engine with the probe pre turbo since the late 60's.

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.