Posting again. As no answers so far.

a4epilot

My house batteries do not charge when the engine is running. I've done as much trouble shooting as possible and have determined that the Trombetta/Bear paralleling relay is not defective. It closes when the "Batt Boost" switch on the dash is pressed when the engine is running and when it is not, as it was designed.

The problem is, when the engine is running, the relay should be receiving another power source that closes the relay like the "Batt Boost" switch does. In other words, the relay should close when either the Boost switch is pressed or automatically when the engine is running. 

What I need to know is, where does the power source come from that activates the relay when the engine is running? The alternator was just rebuilt and is outputting normally. Everything is normal except for the house battery charging.

Anyone know where I can obtain a wiring diagram of my 06 Windsor? If I had that, I could locate the problem.

Anyone know a repair facility anywhere in the country that I could call to find the answer?

Getting ready to get on the road for the summer soon and need to get this repaired.

Thanks in advance!

Gary K

Although I can't directly help you, I suggest you post your question in the Monaco owners group on iRV2 forum.  There are people on this forum with extensive MH electrical trouble shooting experience.  Of course you will have to join.  Sorry to have wasted your time if you already are aware of the forum and have perhaps tried it without success.

Sandy, you are not wasting my time!

I really appreciate you taking the time to offer any suggestions.

I am vaguely aware of the forum you mentioned. I do receive their postings but am not a member.

In the meantime, I believe I will take the advice of one of our members who responded earlier and convert to a Blue Seas ML-ACR. It should be a much better and more reliable device.

Thank you.

If you have the same system as me l was having same problem. A gent man named frank help me. The info he gave me is that in the rear in motor compartment there is a box with a removable cover in there is a relay that has bad boy written on it . If you have that relay let me know

Gary,

I have similar issues, but I am not sure what is happening.  I can drive all day and the Alladin monitor show a 4 or 6 amp discharge all day from my coach batteries unless my solar panels are charging, too.  Then the discharge is more like 4 to 6 amps PLUS 80% of what my solar panels show they are putting out (which all seems backward. ) Once I arrive at my destination, my monitor says the coach batteries are practicality fully charged, or are at 100%, which shouldn't be so if they have been discharging all day.  So maybe my system is working OK but I don't know it.

Some time ago I was diddling with the Trombetta relay and found it would pull in a few minutes AFTER I started the coach engine, and that seems consistent with the system making sure the chassis batteries are fully charged before switching to charging the coach batteries.  I have attached a one page electrical diagram for a Diplomat, and a many page electrical document for a 2005 HR Scepter, of which many of the diagrams are for more that just the Scepter.  See the info boxes on each diagram.  I'd guess they cover the diplomat, too.  Let me know how you resolve this, as it might apply to me, too.

Dave Jones, 05 HR Scepter

06 Dip wiring -dip_chassis_12v.pdf 2005 Camelot wiring diagrams.pdf

Thank you for that 06 Dip wiring diagram!  I've been looking for it.  

15 hours ago, Bob Priest said:

If you have the same system as me l was having same problem. A gent man named frank help me. The info he gave me is that in the rear in motor compartment there is a box with a removable cover in there is a relay that has bad boy written on it . If you have that relay let me know

Here's what the Big Boy looks like and where you'll find it in the rear electrical box. in my case in the engine compartment.  The small wires ar what activates it.  You can check to see if there is power in them.  Just don't short out those battery cables connected to it or you're going to be in for a big surprise.  The Big Boy can be rebuilt and there is a write up available on how to do that.

20190717_102603.jpg

Big Boy CallOut.jpg

Edited by Mike H

Based on replies from members of this forum, I've decided to replace my Trombetta/Bear battery paralleling relay with a Blue Seas ML-ACR.

It's a much better device. Found a good price on Amazon for $171 with the manual switch on top. Arrives tomorrow.

I sent individual messages of thanks to all who replied; hope I didn't forget anyone?

This forum is simply awesome! In the past I've had some impossible problems to diagnose but in the end someone always comes through with the solution. Where would we all be without each other?! It is not a stretch to say that there would be many Monacos parked permanently without the resources found here.

I'm especially grateful to those who have run the forum in the past on Yahoo and then made the transition to this site; an amazing amount of effort and caring for the rest of us!!

Thanks again to all!

Gary K

I have been having the same issues with my 05 Camelot.  Just revisited the electrical drawings for the coach and I think I found the controller that may be causing our problems.  It is the Intellitec Isolation Relay Delay.  If you look at the first drawing for the Camelot, just to the left of center is the Relay.  Attached are the instructions for the relay and it has the steps to troubleshoot the relay.  Hope this might help you.

Jack

Isolator Relay Delay (Charge house batteries.pdf

I still don't understand what my coach is doing (see earlier post - same topic), but I thought these photos might help others.  An earlier owner of my 2005 HR Scepter apparently replaced whatever Monaco had installed (see photo with 3 clipped wires from the Isolator Relay Delay) for an Isolator Delay controller and replaced it with an Intellitec bi-directional isolator delay relay 00-00839-000.  I guess this is what controls the Trombetta or Big Boy relay.  The replaced relay in the photos is in the front electrical bay.

The pdf  RJ Chapman posted with troubleshooting steps should help figure things out.  Thanks , Jack.

20200308_164401.jpg

20200308_164419.jpg

Edited by daveyjo

Gary:

My go to guy on this forum is Bill Groves. He has forgot more about our electrical systems then most will ever learn. Bill is very gracious with his time

and always helps others. He acts as a consultant to my tech Dustin when we have a major electrical issue on a customers coach and he need's input or repair guidance.

Sitting out here in our drive is a Dynasty that had the Big Boy tested and inspected in Orlando. It tested fine. Dustin tested it using Bill's guidance and procedure and it tested bad.

I encourage you to reach out to Bill if you have any electrical issues.  Another guy who is awesome is Frank, our moderator here. He also has a big wheelhouse as well in the electrical arena.

You are always also welcome to contact my tech, Dustin, anytime you have questions. I did give him permission to assist Naval Aviators.  352-942-2653 🙂

On 3/8/2020 at 5:18 PM, daveyjo said:

I still don't understand what my coach is doing (see earlier post - same topic), but I thought these photos might help others.  An earlier owner of my 2005 HR Scepter apparently replaced whatever Monaco had installed (see photo with 3 clipped wires from the Isolator Relay Delay) for an Isolator Delay controller and replaced it with an Intellitec bi-directional isolator delay relay 00-00839-000.  I guess this is what controls the Trombetta or Big Boy relay.  The replaced relay in the photos is in the front electrical bay.

The pdf  RJ Chapman posted with troubleshooting steps should help figure things out.  Thanks , Jack.

20200308_164401.jpg

20200308_164419.jpg

My experience might not help....but I can tell you that I have the SAME Diesel2 Relay or controller.  Never, EVER (even me) trust anyone's "rewiring" or a Tech's.  You need someone that is handy with a VOM and you need to chase the new wires.  For the RECORD....The Intelltec Tech Support Crew, who has spoken to the Gathering a few times, says that the older MH's were overly complicated.  The Good Dr (Richard Smith), I think, has a similar setup.  

FROM the top.  The Diesel2 was designed to be used with the "latest" version of the Intellitec Big Boy.  Larry Laursen is actually the MOST knowledgeable person on the history of how Monaco tried to cobble up Bi-Directional capability....starting way back with the Lambert and some Trombetta variations.  There was an original BIRD (relay controller) that was NOT the Diesel 2.  

So....from my print files.... as well as MEMORY (there MAY or probably WAS a Latching Version of the Big Boy....this control is not, I think, designed to be used with that one)

The version of the Big Boy that Monaco used in 2009 was a 12VDC 200 Amp relay.  Intellitec PN 77-900006-12.  It works like this.  The Diesel2 checks for voltage on BOTH batteries and there is some magic and if the "charging" or Bi-Directional conditions are correct....then the BIRD Diesel2 sends a signal to the Big Boy.  That may briefly be a full 12 VDC.   That "CLOSES" the Big Boy or makes the circuit.  BUT, if the Big Boy were to have the full 12 VDC signal, you would burn up the Big Boy.  So the BIRD D2 drops the voltage down to around 3 - 4 VDC.  That is called the HOLDING voltage.  It will just sit there and hum and be a little warm....but the BIg Boy will be closed and you are charging off which ever source (Engine or Inverter) has power.  NOW....  The question has been asked....WHAT if BOTH are charging.  It don't MATTER say the Bayus crew....it will CHARGE just fine.  So, if you start the engine before you unhook the SHORE....then the BIg Boy, technically, should NOT engage.  I never quite figured out the Genny terminal....but the Bayus' say....Don't need it.  Don't Sweat it.  Don't use it.

Now, as long as you have good batteries on either said and nothing catastrophic happens....the batteries will be charged and you will charged Chassis whilst on Shore and charged House whilst driving.

BTW.....just to make this abit more interesting (or confusing).....there is a Parallel Circuit that will CLOSE the Big Boy.  When you depress the Battery Boost Switch....there is a FULL 12 VDC signal given to the Big Boy.  Thus BOTH batteries are connected.  You can CRANK the Genny.  Don't crank the MH or you will potentially overheat the Big Boy's 200 Amp contacts as you can pull upwards of 1300 amps.  IF the House batteries are totally dead or really weak....the Boost will NOT work.  Monaco (on mine) provided the Boost Switch's POWER from the House Batteries.  SO....if you have dead or weak House and your Genny starts from the House....then there is no "Emergency Boost" signal voltage.  I have grabbed he Boost....just in time to get it energized so that the Genny would start....one the Genny is running, the Magnum is charging the House and all is well.

THERE will be a pop quiz...

I will try to attach the needed files here.  you need a copy of MY system.  You need a copy of the PDF on the Intellitec Big Boy..  You need a copy of the PDF for the BIRD D2.

Once you have THAT....then you start tracing wiring and testing voltages.  If the Tech did not know what he was doing....he might have MISWIRED.  The instructions for installation are pretty clear and relatively simple.  The write up of all the voltage conditions are confusing.  You can measure the voltage to the Intellitec Big Boy.  If it is NOT in the 3 - 4 VDC range....after a minute or two....something is amiss.

NOW....if you MANUALLY use a Jumper of have someone hold on the Boost Switch, you can measure the voltage drop across the Big Boy.  Should be less than half a volt or so.  If it higher.....then the contacts in the Big Boy are pitted.  Take it apart.  Clean (fine sandpaper or Swiss files) the contacts and get them shiny and not pitted.  Flip OVER the large washer.  BINGO...you have done a field repair.  Folks have done that and got years more out of the Big Boy.

You have all the prints that are needed to test and rewire, if necessary.  This works....

Good Luck.

My Factory Wired 2009 Camelot does NOT have the Genny Signal wire.  Chris and Mark Bayus

GOOD Big Boy PDF 77-9006-120 Continuous - Camelot.pdf GOOD BIRD Diesel 2 1453-intellitec-pdf-template-53-00839-100.pdf GOOD Diesel 2 BIRD system.pdf Battery BoostCutoff switches.pdf