Tragic Deadly Accident on I-77 in South Carolina Involving a Monaco Ambassador RV

9 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

That was me thinking the videographer was shooting in the morning, which they were.  Unfortunately I got my E-W a little mixed up (or was it N-S?). 

TPMS is a must with rigs like ours. 

Which TPMS system failed? 

- bob

TPMS didn’t fail, it just didn’t warn of impending failure, which im not sure it could have, tire suffered a structural failure due to exposed steel cords inside tire rusting out and failing 

There isn't one TPMS made in the world that will alert you to an impending catastrophic tire failure identical to what happened with this accident.

A TPMS will alert you to a possible impending tire failure if the tire is losing air which causes the tire to heat up, breakdown and fail. Having a TPMS does not negate the responsibility of the driver to inspect the sidewall and tread area of their tires prior to departure and at each rest stop. It also helps to have a IR Temperature gun to monitor the temperature of the hubs for possible wheel bearing issues. I use both ALL the time.

However, there are Tyron Bands that can be installed on the steer tires which will help minimize the effect of a catastrophic steer tire failure. In this case it may have saved the driver's life and the total loss of a coach. Plus the passenger is most likely fighting for their life and not out of the woods yet.

• Thanks 1

1 killed, another hurt in RV crash on I-77

https://www.wcnc.com/article/traffic/deadly-rv-crash-chester-county-south-carolina/275-4d1ccc1c-422c-481a-9df9-1e53ae25bc27

CHESTER COUNTY, S.C. — One person was killed and another was hurt when an RV ran off I-77 in Chester County Wednesday morning, troopers said. 

South Carolina Highway Patrol said the RV was driving south on I-77 near mile marker 66 when the driver went off the road, ran up an embankment and hit a tree. Troopers said the driver, who was not wearing a seatbelt, was thrown from the vehicle and died at the scene. 

A passenger inside the RV was also thrown from the vehicle. That person was taken to a hospital by paramedics with injuries. Troopers said the crash happened a few minutes before 6 a.m.

No other vehicles were involved in the crash, which remains under investigation.

I wear my seatbelt all the time while traveling.  Too bad this couple chose not to.  It may have saved a life.  Their chairs made it.

25 minutes ago, Moonwink said:

I wear my seatbelt all the time while traveling.  Too bad this couple chose not to.  It may have saved a life.  Their chairs made it.

Yes always wear one. The seats are comfortable enough not to strain anybody. Plus I only drive around 300 to 400 or so miles a day and stop a few times in between for a break.

“Their chairs made it.” Yes, the passenger seat made it but the driver’s didn’t…what’s left of it is the white remains of it behind the passenger seat in the picture below. The majority of the impact was on the driver’s side taking out the entire wall on that side.

B544C8EA-7BA6-4E6B-AC67-760BD546DD77.jpeg

C5260A09-203F-49B9-BB3C-7011B29B0054.png

The driver's seat is still there.  The driver was ejected because he wasn't using his seatbelt.  If he had been using it, things may have turned out differently.  No guarantee but, seatbelts save lives and there's no getting around that fact.  Be safe (safer) and buckle up!

Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I don't think it can be assumed that excessive speed is the root cause.  A number of factors would need to be considered to make that determination and I kind of feel it is insensitive considering the loss of life and injuries.  I don't disagree that many RV drivers exceed a safe speed, but I am certainly not going to put this specific driver in that category just yet.  There will be an investigation of course that will include the distance traveled, skid marks, etc.  It is certainly possible that there was a medical event, tire blow out or sudden turn to avoid a deer...  point is we don't know and out of respect for possible family members on this site... I'm not going to disparage someone with speculation.  Just my 2 cents.  Jim  

• Like 2

A few years ago a 45 ft Dynasty 

Went over the guard rail on I 70 west of Indianapolis and into a woods as I recall. 

The Highway patrol thought he was running 70 or so.

The Dynasty was intact. 

The driver went through the windshield and was killed. 

My point is

70 mph

Jumped across a guard rail down into  a ditch and into a woods.

The Dynasty was still intact. 

• Like 1

So sorry to see this.  God Bless the friends and families affected. 🙏

I agree with others, that the semi-monococque chassis of the higher end Monaco's would likely hold up much better to this kind of impact.
The Roadmaster chassis is the biggest reason I bought my Dynasty years ago.

• Thanks 1