Tow bar set up

I went with the NSA Hurcules. Very stout and guaranteed for life. On top of that the brake system is integrated.  Has worked great and the braking setup has also functioned very well and it’s so easy to hook up and go. Lastly, you will save a bunch of money and have the strongest tow bar on the market. 

11 minutes ago, Chargerman said:

I went with the NSA Hurcules. Very stout and guaranteed for life. On top of that the brake system is integrated.  Has worked great and the braking setup has also functioned very well and it’s so easy to hook up and go. Lastly, you will save a bunch of money and have the strongest tow bar on the market. 

I saw was intrigued by their product. I don’t know if they have the set up I’m after. I looked at their “surge” brake set up, I’m saying that as I don’t know how it works. But their is a nasty set of pics on Amazon that Left me with questions about it. 2 sides to all stories, so can’t condemn what I don’t know. 

Not sure what kind of pics you saw but I have not heard or see any issues which their products but I’m sure there’s folks out there who have had issues with ever tow setup out there. So far I’m very happy with their setup. I’ve had it three years now

1 hour ago, Chargerman said:

Not sure what kind of pics you saw but I have not heard or see any issues which their products but I’m sure there’s folks out there who have had issues with ever tow setup out there. So far I’m very happy with their setup. I’ve had it three years now

Yeah it’s not my place to take down what I don’t know. There are just pics on a review that were a head scratcher. 

1 minute ago, 96 EVO said:

Would that reason be ................. there cheap 🤔?

And very affective and easy to setup and get underway. As they say “don’t knock it until you’ve tried it”. 

• Like 1

Blue Ox Avail 10,000 tow bars are what we use.  We have 1,000s of miles with no issue.

Remember - do not back up with your dinghy hooked up.

Our brake system is RVi2 with great results.  Purchased because there are 3 vehicles involved and it moves around easily with no issues.

All that is required is a dedicated disconnect switch per vehicle.  Sometimes a plate has to be installed in the front seat to push against if the floor is flat.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ncsteve said:

If you get to the point where you need a 6” riser for your application, let me know as I have a new 10,000lb Roadmaster hi/low adapter I will make you a deal on. Ordered it and ended up needing an 8” 😖

Will do. Once I get to see the coach and truck together. Thanks!

This isn't the area to cheap out considering the cost of the coach and tow vehicle. I went with the road master tow bar and brake system. Bought everything from etrailer and installed it in about 6 hours including brakemaster proportional air brake.

Coach and Truck.jpg

36 minutes ago, Mark B said:

This isn't the area to cheap out considering the cost of the coach and tow vehicle. I went with the road master tow bar and brake system. Bought everything from etrailer and installed it in about 6 hours including brakemaster proportional air brake.

Coach and Truck.jpg

Yeah, after looking at some used gear, And the the price of the toad we have, I’ll spring for new gear. The RVI is new in the box, but 1/2 price was too good to pass up

15 hours ago, fiat124man said:

Just a note of interest, Brake buddy portable brake system is the most popular for a reason.

So here’s a twist I just stumbled on. It was in a video, so it’s not gospel 

Brake Buddy founder- sells company 

5 yr non competitive agreement over 

He founds RVI 

I’d have to spend time digging into it more to confirm, other fish to fry at the moment if someone is up for some sleuthing 

Order is in:

Blue Ox Avail, with cover 

1” Pin adaptors

Roadmaster wiring kit and battery charge

Kargard 

RVI-2 brake system. 

I will do a thread as I put it all together so anyone can share insight and pointers so I can round out my knowledge, and hopefully minimize mistakes 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Or possibly RVIBrake may be able to supply just the wireless monitor as they do have some spare parts available.

I had to purchase a new Command Center Hub for my RVIBrake-3 as the micro USB connector broke off the printed circuit board.

38 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Or possibly RVIBrake may be able to supply just the wireless monitor as they do have some spare parts available.

I had to purchase a new Command Center Hub for my RVIBrake-3 as the micro USB connector broke off the printed circuit board.

Yeah I chatted with RVI, no such luck. It will operate fine without it, just let’s ya know what’s going on and can make adjustments to braking is what they told me. 

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, BobSchmeck said:

What are you going to tow?

Not sure yet, will be purchasing a vehicle to accommodate my tow requirements. My main objective is to have as simple/easy hookup and teardown as possible so using it won't be a chore. Well that, and as low a cost as possible so will be looking for decent used components where possible. We're only weekends and vacations  right now so trying to keep the budget low as we won't be getting a lot of use for now.

At this point the a 2010ish CR-V is at the top of the list, since it can be towed 4 down with the automatic trans., and has AWD (nice to have where we live).