Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/509-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Shore power dropping off
tmw188
Water leak from rain
Steven P
Shore power dropping off
jacwjames
Water leak from rain
jacwjames
Shore power dropping off
Cubflyer
Shore power dropping off
jacwjames
Shore power dropping off
tmw188
Shore power dropping off
Cubflyer
Aqua hot problems
RS lakeshore
Shore power dropping off
jacwjames
Replaced Norcold 1200LIRM
Dennis H
Preventing DUVAC alternator problems
Grampy OG
Shore power dropping off
tmw188
jacwjames
Grampy OG
jacwjames
Electrical Issue
Tom Cherry
Corkman
BobSchmeck
Aqua hot problems
Nevada Rob
Aqua hot problems
cterryl@sbcglobal.net
BobSchmeck
Ivylog
Aqua hot problems
Paul A.
Passenger side won't air up. : (
96 EVO
Ivan K
Water leak from rain
Paul A.
Aqua hot problems
Nevada Rob
BobSchmeck
Is a Nason switch adjustable?
ready2retire59
Electrical Issue
Dr4Film
Fan-Tastic fan replacement
drewat2
JDCrow
DrDon4u
ncsteve
Bobsteid
JDCrow
Rick A
JDCrow
Grampy OG

Sanicon Turbo 600S Macerator With Lay Flat Hose
Hypoxia

With my Sanicon Turbo 600S I have been using 1 1/2" Lay Flat Discharge Hose this summer.  I bought a 300' roll and cut several lengths; 25', 50' and 75'.  I put 1 1/2" plastic hose couplings on each end and use a piece of 1 1/2" coolant hose to join them when needed.  I also have two of the 21' flex hoses from Sanicon that I join which gives me a total length of around 190'.  I left 150' at my stick house this year but will bring at least 50' of that next season.

I had occasion to use all 190' twice and shorter lengths a number of times, all on relatively level ground.  The lay flat hose works great and doesn't take much storage space.  There have been zero issues with flow and that large hose sure gets the job done in a hurry, 100+ gallons in less than 10 minutes on flat ground.  The one restriction on the lay flat is that it cannot have any kinks, the run must be fairly straight.  If I need to go around a corner I would place a Sanicon flex hose in that position.

Shore power dropping off
tmw188

The code may still be displaying with a PE (Previous Error)in front of the code number. 

willbo777

Jim,

When you installed the new Sanicon did you have to rewire with a larger wire for the increased amperage?  This is a project I want to do this winter.

Water leak from rain
Steven P

I initially thought it was gonna be the door, but with my wife standing inside and me outside w a water hose, it did not leak until we got the water above the awning. I appreciate all the input and will be looking at each idea and report back. Keep em coming in the meantime.   Thanks!

Hypoxia
1 minute ago, willbo777 said:

Jim,

When you installed the new Sanicon did you have to rewire with a larger wire for the increased amperage?  This is a project I want to do this winter.

Yes it uses a 35 amp fuse which requires larger wire depending on the length of the run.  I used 10 gauge.

Shore power dropping off
jacwjames

I installed a Progressive HW50C back in 2014 after I had a lightening strike on our house but the coach was plugged in.   Took out one TV in the house and took out the EMS circuit board.  An expensive lesson for sure.  So I installed the surge protector. 

After that I could monitor the voltage at each site we plugged into and was amazed how many times there was a problem with either voltage or reverse polarity. 

Then I started building a new house and had a temporary pole installed that I could also plug the coach into.  Every once in a while I'd get a low voltage error but I attributed to the temp service.  Nope, after finishing the house a and having the coach plugged into a 50 amp plug I still got low voltage.  So I started monitoring the voltage in the house, sure enough we were having a problem with power coming into the house.   I notified the Coop and low and behold one of their techs called me back and said they had checked and there was a problem on there end at the transformer station and they had it fixed.  No more problems.

NOW, you know you have an Iota transfer switch.  There was a recent post of someone with power problems and it was indeed the transfer switch that he ended up replacing.  He posted pictures and the neutral contacts had gotten extremely hot.  The Iota is a known fire hazard, I'd suggest replacing it ASAP, the cost is ~$250 depending on where and what you buy. 

Water leak from rain
jacwjames

Check the beltline.  A leak into the beltline can migrate quite a distance. 

Shore power dropping off
Cubflyer

Todd,

Thanks for your help, I am a newbee to these products, your post got me doing a search for the manual and read it.  I should have done that before I posted my question.  Now, if it does it again I have the "codes" and their meaning and also know the designed ranges that it works within.

Ken

Shore power dropping off
jacwjames

I made a laminated copy of the codes and posted so I can easily tell what the problem was. 

Shore power dropping off
tmw188

Yes the designed range parameters, good to know. If you have the small remote monitor inside the coach you can monitor it live and also bypass it if you need to. The modern power grid should be 120v many yrs back it was 110v/115v. You will experience some voltage drops during high usage hrs especially at older remote areas. That’s were it comes in handy. 

Shore power dropping off
Cubflyer

Jim,

Interesting experience! I have seen some (weird to me) voltages on this coach indictor, I guess I have been spoiled with solid power grids in my life and when the voltages are different between legs it is not the power source but my connection.  I also have never "monitored" the power voltages so closely.

I actually have a LPT50BRD in my Amazon cart and just did not know if I should "pull the trigger" in it....  My IOTA does not appear to have any problems (visual inspection) but the contacts could be getting sketchy.

Jim and Todd,

The control/monitor panel is currently in the compartment with the power cord, I probably need to relocate it into the interior of the coach to save me from wondering around in the dark and the rain.... it would be easy to do...

Ken

Aqua hot problems
RS lakeshore
On 8/7/2021 at 7:37 PM, Ivylog said:

Did you find the panel Rob referenced? Use a straightened paper clip to push the reset button on this board.

Yes I did and I also pushed the reset button. Nothing lit up on the panel outside but when I went inside I noticed the aqua diesel button was lit. Shouldn't there be some lights on in the panel outside? Thanks

Shore power dropping off
jacwjames
11 minutes ago, Cubflyer said:

Jim,

Interesting experience! I have seen some (weird to me) voltages on this coach indictor, I guess I have been spoiled with solid power grids in my life and when the voltages are different between legs it is not the power source but my connection.  I also have never "monitored" the power voltages so closely.

I actually have a LPT50BRD in my Amazon cart and just did not know if I should "pull the trigger" in it....  My IOTA does not appear to have any problems (visual inspection) but the contacts could be getting sketchy.

Jim and Todd,

The control/monitor panel is currently in the compartment with the power cord, I probably need to relocate it into the interior of the coach to save me from wondering around in the dark and the rain.... it would be easy to do...

Ken

Replacing the Iota is a personal choice based on the level of risk you want to accept.

The make a module to add a second monitor for the surge protector.  I mounted a display in the compartment I store my power cord and easily viewable when I turn the power on.   If all is good I then flip a switch and it sends the signal to the second display which I have mounted in the 1/2 bath.  Some people complain about the constant scrolling of the red display so mount it where it won't both you.  For me the 1/2 bath room works as it give me something to look at while I'm concentrating on my morning BM's 😄

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Industries-EMS-RDS-Digital-Display/dp/B00A2TF9AK

Better price

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Progressive-Industries-EMS-RDS-EMS-Digital-Remote-Switch-and-Display-for-EMS-HW50C-EMSHW30C-Series/120668864

Dennis H

When my cooling unit failed I had insurance to cover it. They gave me a choice, Amish or residential. Not being as smart as I am today, I went with the Amish unit. It lasted a little over a year...about the time the insurance ran out. (head slap) I made the change to the residential myself at my cost. $1100 for the fridge and about $250 for parts. Installed it myself while in a campground. Took me three days. Best move I made....Dennis

Grampy OG
12 hours ago, vanwill52 said:

Ken, one need not connect even a single small wire for the ML-ACR to do its job.  The first small wire you MIGHT consider using is the one that allows you to remotely control (override) the built-in programming of the ML-ACR using a switch that pops right into the previous "Battery Boost" location.  The ML-ACR offers several options like disconnecting when the engine is cranking, disconnecting when alternator and genny are running, etc.  Most folks do not use those options, but they are available.  It is a VERY capable device that is simple, bulletproof, and guaranteed for as long as you own it.

Thank you Van. I am on the road until September and I think I will cross my fingers and do the job at home where I have access to all of my tools. I probably won't change my battery disconnects as they seem to work just fine. From what I can see each one of the systems currently installed (bird, isolator, BB) would cost as much as your unit should they fail and would be a hassle to locate modern versions. I am excited to try this. My only concern is I believe you mention the loss of the battery boost button but that is probably not the end of the world. 

Ken

Shore power dropping off
tmw188

If you have telephone wiring in the coach you can send that signal to any jack near where you want to put the display. I did that on my last coach and all you have to do is cut the end off of one of your pigtails that you would use to run from the phone jack to your remote display and turn it around 180° and put it back on so it will take a special telephone plug tool. I did it and it worked perfectly.

jacwjames

If you install the switch that comes with the Bluesea ML-ACR you will have the battery boost function.  The switch fits into the same hole as your current switch.  It will require one addtional wire from the dash to the electrical bay but the wiring is pretty easy (even I could figure it out).  Once installed it will let you select Auto, Off, or ON.  While parked, with the switch in auto and either running generator or shore power it will charge both battery banks.  If you are driving you can leave it in auto and the alternator would charge house batteries.  If not plugged in and need boost function just flip it to ON and it will combine both battery banks.  Or you can turn it off and it will isolate both battery banks. 

There are options to wire the switch where it could  automatically isolate batteries while starting and/or isolate if engine and generator are running. 

Grampy OG
4 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

If you install the switch that comes with the Bluesea ML-ACR you will have the battery boost function.  The switch fits into the same hole as your current switch.  It will require one addtional wire from the dash to the electrical bay but the wiring is pretty easy (even I could figure it out).  Once installed it will let you select Auto, Off, or ON.  While parked, with the switch in auto and either running generator or shore power it will charge both battery banks.  If you are driving you can leave it in auto and the alternator would charge house batteries.  If not plugged in and need boost function just flip it to ON and it will combine both battery banks.  Or you can turn it off and it will isolate both battery banks. 

There are options to wire the switch where it could  automatically isolate batteries while starting and/or isolate if engine and generator are running. 

Oh thanks for that quick update Jim. I was just pulling the trigger ordering the unit. I changed my mind. I am parked for another 6 weeks. It looks like a one or two hour job to put the new unit in place. I was a bit (and still a little bit) confused as to the on/off/auto portion but I am sure it will become clear as I move along. I am still not quite sure why you would change which bank of batteries is charging, in other words why not leave it on AUTO but I am sure I will figure it out. This is shaping up to be one of the better $200 upgrades I have done to my aging '03 parts. 

I am sure as I move along with this you and Van may see a couple more questions from me. 

Got to love the Monacoers. Bill is smiling down on us. 

Ken

jacwjames

I usually leave mine in Auto

But from what I've read, if your house batteries are discharged after a night of boon docking it may work the alternator hard to charge the batteries back to fully charged.  Some people recommend running the generator for a while to charge them and/or isolating the batteries after ~1/2 or charging and then turn it back on after the alternator cools for a while. 

Some also isolate if you are running the generator to run AC's as it may cause the alternator light to come on.  That or you can wire the ML-ACR to isolate the batteries if the generator is running. 

I'm still on a learning curve. 

Also, with the switch you can turn the ML-ACR off, ON, or Auto right from your drivers seat.

Did I create an issue in the 12 Florescent volt system?
Rich Cutler

In answer to the question as to power at the switch, no I have none.  That is why I'm concerned if there is something else other that a fuse that can happen to the multiplex system.   

Electrical Issue
Tom Cherry
16 hours ago, Chuck B said:

Remember the IOTA switched the neutral, not the two 120 vac lines.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Chuck,

A MOOT point, but I thought the IOTA-50R had two DPDT relays or solenoids. One for HOT and one for Neutral.

Check the photo and see if that is correct.

ATS diagram inside box cover.jpg

Corkman

I’ve asked this question before but never heard back and answer. Could somebody please tell me what the Amish solution is?

BobSchmeck

Corkman

https://rvcoolingunit.com/Norcold-Cooling-Units-Amish-Built-Brand-new-C4437.aspx

Had one for 5 years now. Might want to look at the helium unit. They weren't available at the time I changed ours out.  We mostly boondock with solar. I don't like running my gen. If you stay were you are hooked up to power then by allmeans go residential. I can't really find anyone who has been residential for a few years who mostly boondock. Right now were in the mid 80⁰ to 90⁰ fridge is set between 3 & 4. If you do it i recommend 2 extra fans at the top of the vent. I used my old ones an put a separate switch so I can turn them off when not needed.  Also use his fans for inside in front of the fins.

Aqua hot problems
Nevada Rob
1 hour ago, RS lakeshore said:

Yes I did and I also pushed the reset button. Nothing lit up on the panel outside but when I went inside I noticed the aqua diesel button was lit. Shouldn't there be some lights on in the panel outside? Thanks

Follow the links below to find your manual on the 2006 Signature and service options. You will find that beginning on page 127 of the manual you will find everything you need to know about the AquaHot system is listed there. If you have lights out they may be burnt out and need replacement. A fuel filter and burner replacement is a great place to start. 

https://www.monacocoach.com/resources/media/manuals/2006_Signature.pdf

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084Q5PLDK?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

http://www.aquahot.com/Products/RV/Annual-Service-Kits.aspx

Aqua hot problems
cterryl@sbcglobal.net

Go online to Aqua Hot and download their service manuals. All kinds of useful info there. Also the people at the factory are very good at talking you through problems. If you have one of these you will need to learn how it works. The factory also has a list of people across the country who have had their training course. 

BobSchmeck

Dennis H

Are you mostly hooked up to shore power? 

Ivylog

I can't really find anyone who has been residential for a few years who mostly boondock.” Pretty sure I posted ^^^ that In the summer we do and have been residential for 10 years. Generator run time before going residential was 2 hours but by adding 1000W of solar and an additional 100A charger it’s down to 1 hour with a residential refrigerator.

Aqua hot problems
Paul A.

The link below for Aquahot & Hydrohot Manuals & Product Information is very extensive. 

http://www.aquahot.com/Library.aspx?fbclid=IwAR2z7yNImbK--TmsFq0M8kKD7BQflefadEtW_xfxeAsHQelTOw7L7kabhkE

Passenger side won't air up. : (
96 EVO

Wonder why the passenger front didn't air up 🤔?

Ivan K

When our generator stator burned out few weeks into our 4 months trip out west, I was very glad to have propane. Only went to parks every 10 to 14 days for a weekday night for obvious reasons. Norcold with safety upgrades made it possible. Having said that, if it quits on us, residential goes in along with whatever it takes to keep it going.

tmw188

These switches usually pigtail or jump from one of the other switches, have you tried to go backwards from the light fixture?

Water leak from rain
Paul A.

Try covering suspected areas with clear gorilla tape, then removing a area at a time. The cap-roof joint, then the belt line, and on down. The door frame is a normal suspect.

Moonwink

Rich, I'd trace back from the switch to figure out why there's no power getting to it.  After you know what caused the loss of power, it will be easier to work on the lights.  If the lights turn out to be the cause of a blown fuse you'll know where it stops and can try doing something different with the lights.  All the LED replacement tubes I've seen say to leave the ballasts in place and just swap the bulbs.  I did as many have said - I bought a roll of the LED lights on a strip and took out all the guts of my fixtures when I glued them in place.  I like the brighter fixtures after making the change. 

Aqua hot problems
Nevada Rob

Paul A great link. Thanks.

BobSchmeck

Ivylog

You are correct, did not remember the name.  I got confused when I looked at your profile an it said you were born in 2020 & you did the conversion 10 years ago. 😉

Knight - 4 New Bilstein B6 Shock Absorber (front)
MrAmbassador

condition: new 
rv type: class A 

Bilstein 24-186582 Series HD Shock Absorber Monaco Knight - 4 available @ $80 each

Brand new. Purchased for our motorhome but too late to return when we realized they were the wrong size. 

Manufacturer: Product Description:

BILSTEIN B6 Performance

If you're looking to enhance the performance of your suspension system, the BILSTEIN B6 Performance series is the best solution to improve your car's ride. With unbelievable control, precise handling, and incredible comfort, you'll soon discover there is, quite literally, nothing like it.

Features and Benefits:

Monotube gas pressure construction
Improved safety and sportiness
Added traction and enhanced stability
Increased durability and performance while maintaining ride comfort
Road-tested and fine-tuned by BILSTEIN for each vehicle specific application
Additional Information:

Part Type: Shock Absorber 
Series: B6 Performance 
Brand: HD - Monaco 
Position: N/A 
Application Notes Summary: N/A 
Invoice Description: MONACO KNIGHT FRONT

We will ship to you in USA for free  

Thank you

CDF69E83-EDC2-4244-B9F8-21F96502E2EF.jpeg

Is a Nason switch adjustable?
ready2retire59

I recently assembled and installed Bob Nodine's Nason park brake switch replacement.  Everything works perfectly.  All the parts were readily available.  Even the weatherpack 3 pin connector was available on Amazon in a 5 set package for about $13.00.  The weatherpack can be used if you do not want to use the connector from the old Nason switch.  I was able to tap into the 12v and ground lines feeding the switches for the hydraulic levelers for my power source to the relay.  My hardest part of the job was re-supporting the park brake actuator because the plastic console was cracked.  I used a small steel right angle bracket cut to fit and mounted between the plastic and the actuator.  It supports the actuator and can't be seen.    

Thank you Bob.  Your design with the single contact pressure switch should last the life of the motorhome. 

Tony Chiulli

'03 Windsor, '05 Ram pickup

Electrical Issue
Dr4Film

Possibly what Chuck had meant to say was that the HOT and Neutral may not switch at the same identical instant allowing the neutral to switch microseconds later which may cause problems with electrical devices.

The ESCO LPTBRD has the relays normally engaged for shore power but when switching to generator it has a neutral safety switch built in such that if the neutral isn't recognized it won't allow the hot legs to connect.

Greg Prentiss

What coaches do these fit?

drewat2

One of our fans has died. I've read that they are not up to old standards since Dometic bought them out. Is a Maxxair a suitable replacement or should I stick with Fan-Tastic

JDCrow

Replaced all our old ones (3) with new Maxx Air as soon as it was in my possession. Zero issues with them 

DrDon4u

I call Fantastic fan and told them my fan was squeaking, how do I oil it. They sent me a new fan for FREE.

ncsteve

What died on it? On ours, the fan motor quit. Ordered a replacement motor and fan assembly from  etrailer.com for $37. Took about 5 minutes to replace. 
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Fantastic-Vent/FVK8017-00.html

Bobsteid

Fastasic fan used to be lifetime warranty

Make some calls 

JDCrow

Let me elaborate:

20 years of dust, grease from cooking, hair spray etc. wife insisted on new everything. Any used RV, it will all get replaced including toilet. 

Rick A
1 hour ago, drewat2 said:

One of our fans has died. I've read that they are not up to old standards since Dometic bought them out. Is a Maxxair a suitable replacement or should I stick with Fan-Tastic

Hahaha one of our fans has died. What was his name?

JDCrow
53 minutes ago, Rick A said:

Hahaha one of our fans has died. What was his name?

Do any of us have an real fans? 

Testdepth

I am on the web trying to find new shocks for my !996 Windsor. If they will fit my coach I will Paypal you right now. My problem is trying to determine which Bilsteins will fit!

Mike

Grampy OG
8 hours ago, jacwjames said:

I usually leave mine in Auto

But from what I've read, if your house batteries are discharged after a night of boon docking it may work the alternator hard to charge the batteries back to fully charged.  Some people recommend running the generator for a while to charge them and/or isolating the batteries after ~1/2 or charging and then turn it back on after the alternator cools for a while. 

Some also isolate if you are running the generator to run AC's as it may cause the alternator light to come on.  That or you can wire the ML-ACR to isolate the batteries if the generator is running. 

I'm still on a learning curve. 

Also, with the switch you can turn the ML-ACR off, ON, or Auto right from your drivers seat.

Awesome. Mine arrives tomorrow. I will report back to the group! 

Testdepth

Greg,

I did finally find the technical info I needed and your shocks will not fit my coach. That's too bad, that is a nice deal!

Thanks,

Mike

IlliniCathy

You have 2 part numbers listed.  We are interested.  We have a 2002 knight.  But want to confirm exactly what shocks you have.  Where are you located?

JDCrow

I’m back on the fence a bit. Now that I think about using the Gen for A/C while moving. 

The new inverter had a separate output to charge chassis batteries (lead) while plugged in or on genny. And charge house (lithium) at the same time. Might just use Dc/Dc charger to charge house batteries off Alternator. 

Wrapping my head around it all. I think I have just a regular alternator as I don’t have the large heat sink Van shows in his pic. My battery compartment is pretty simple 

Tow bar set up
JDCrow

Pulling the trigger on tow bar set up. 

I need to go with Blue Ox Avail for my my application. 

Any tips/tricks for those who have one?

thanks 

John Haggard
1 hour ago, JDCrow said:

Do any of us have an real fans? 

I've replaced 😕 all my would be  fans 

Several times.

Never been free er and Happy er 🙃🙂

Dennis-C

We have a 1998 Beaver Patriot with the fan in the dining/galley area and one in the bathroom.  I'm thinking of replacing both with either MaxAir or Fantastic.  There is a nice wooden frame in the ceiling below the fans.  The question is if that woodwork all has to be removed or is this something installed from the roof side?  I should go out a take a photo, but hoping another Beaver owner knows what I'm talking about.

Thanks,

Dennis

What do you think?
tcbrow

Ok, so here's my story. I took my motorhome to Tom Scheaffer's RV in Fleetwood, PA for a state inspection. I was called and told it had failed because there was moisture between the panes of glass next to the driver's seat. Ok, I understand that as it has blocked my vision before. I asked them to fix it and was told no, they wouldn't. It was on me. As I picked it up and paid the bill I was told that the tech was bringing it into the shop and the sun hit the window and blocked his vision. State law in PA is that if the vehicle leaves the premises it must be inspected again. My problem is that knowing that it failed before it got into the shop for something that they wouldn't fix, they inspected it anyway. They knew I would have to take it off the lot for repair and pay for another inspection ($159). I feel that they should have given me a courtesy call when they saw the window and told me that they couldn't inspect it with that window. Do you think I was treated fairly?

At this point I would like to mention the wonderful people at Suncoast Designers in Hudson, FL who were very professional, did a great job and turned my window around in 3 days.

Tow bar set up
Dr4Film

Are you buying used or new?

If used, make sure it has been upgraded.

What do you think?
John Haggard

You stated that you knew it was foggy. 

Before you took it in.

Don't you fix and address any and all issues before you go for inspection? 

What do you think?
Dear LaserWorks

Ouch. You must have a serious inspection checklist up there. It's like $15 here in NC and they said nothing about that fogged up driver's window I need to get cleaned up. Down here, the shops offer inspection in hopes you'll come back for service, so they treat you well.

What do you think?
BobSchmeck

Not in my humble opinion.  A quick look around the outside say its a fail. You can stop the inspection right there. If they did a full inspection they obviously did give a dam about the customer, we want your money now its your problem.  I'll shut up now! 

John Haggard

Yes he knew it was foggy, but did he know that was a fail reason? If you care about the customer level with them.  A quick look says that we will have to fail it,  do you want us to continue the inspection would have been a more reasonable approach.  

Tow bar set up
JDCrow
10 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Are you buying used or new?

If used, make sure it has been upgraded.

Was looking a a used, but it sold so now on etrailer.

This is my first Tow Bar set up, ever. I want to get it right the first time. 

Tow bar set up
HR Ambassador

I've used Blue Ox since 1995, and have never had a problem. American made from Nebraska. Highly recommend.

What do you think?
John Haggard
14 minutes ago, BobSchmeck said:

Not in my humble opinion.  A quick look around the outside say its a fail. You can stop the inspection right there. If they did a full inspection they obviously did give a dam about the customer, we want your money now its your problem.  I'll shut up now! 

John Haggard

Yes he knew it was foggy, but did he know that was a fail reason? If you care about the customer level with them.  A quick look says that we will have to fail it,  do you want us to continue the inspection would have been a more reasonable approach.  

But that's not the way it work's 

It's been that way for years.

There is a fail list.

Trucking companies spend bigs bucks on their fleet before going to any inspection. 

RVs have to do the same or pay once and then pay three .ore times 

Some call it racketeering. 

And that's why many states DROPPED THE REQUIRED INSPECTIONS 

What do you think?
BobSchmeck
3 minutes ago, John Haggard said:

But that's not the way it work's 

It's been that way for years.

There is a fail list.

Trucking companies spend bigs bucks on their fleet before going to any inspection. 

RVs have to do the same or pay once and then pay three .ore times 

Some call it racketeering. 

And that's why many states DROPPED THE REQUIRED INSPECTIONS 

So thats the way some companies do it and that makes it ok! Thats perty much sums up the world doesn't it? I'll take care of myself & if I can screw you in mean time, I will! 

Now if they did the whole inspection & found a bad ball joint then that's a different story.  You can't tell from the outside just looking at it that it has a bad ball joint. 

Tow bar set up
JDCrow
21 minutes ago, HR Ambassador said:

I've used Blue Ox since 1995, and have never had a problem. American made from Nebraska. Highly recommend.

Yeah Blue Ox is the only one that has the setup I desire for our Tow rig 

What do you think?
Gary 05 AMB DST

Take the total window out and drive it wherever and put it back in.

Gary 05 AMB DST

Dash HVAC Fan R&R
ko7pjim

04 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ. Anyone know how to get to the dash HVAC blower motor to replace it. I confirmed the resistor pack is good as the fuse in the resistor pack was blown, so I replaced it. It looks like 5 hours of labor and a $100 blower, unless I do it. Then it is 8 hours of labor plus $100 blower motor..

Tow bar set up
BobSchmeck

I prefer a tow bar that disconnects & stays with the coach.  My first one disconnected from the coach folded up and stayed with the car. 

What do you think?
John Haggard
4 minutes ago, BobSchmeck said:

So thats the way some companies do it and that makes it ok! Thats perty much sums up the world doesn't it? I'll take care of myself & if I can screw you in mean time, I will! 

Now if they did the whole inspection & found a bad ball joint then that's a different story.  You can't tell from the outside just looking at it that it has a bad ball joint. 

It's why , in 60 years I have never lived in nor registered vehicles in States that require State Inspections. 

But have trucker friends and associates that do. 

ko7pjim
4 hours ago, drewat2 said:

If you stick with the fantastic fan, you can pull the motor/fan and replace it with the new one in ten minutes.  You can replace the vent cover pretty easily as well or wait til you need to.

Tow bar set up
JDCrow
12 minutes ago, BobSchmeck said:

I prefer a tow bar that disconnects & stays with the coach.  My first one disconnected from the coach folded up and stayed with the car. 

Agree! That’s the way to go for sure. 

Tow bar set up
Larry H

You said “I  need to go with Blue Ox Avail “ but if I understand right you don’t know what you are pulling, what breaks you are using, etc. Why not put the whole package together, baseplate and all, once you have your dingy. Might even find a dingy that is set up for something else. 

Tow bar set up
96 EVO

If you want to 'Do it right the first time', buy Demco, or Roadmaster.

Dash HVAC Fan R&R
klcdenver

I changed one out on a 2003 diplomat. It should be on the passenger side and is done from the inside. Not a fun job. Grab several different lengths of screw drivers and start removing dash parts until you reach it. Mirrors and lights will help. I got mine out from the underneath without removing the whole dash.

Tow bar set up
Scott 61

I would look at Roadmaster they have non-binding tow bars so much easier to disconnect

New Life to a Monaco Dynasty
gjh2916

Good looking job, did you use loose lay or clicking format vinyl planks

Dash HVAC Fan R&R
Timaz996

Follow my posts here and you will see how to do it and it's a $35 fan motor.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/dash-fan-motor-538510.html

Diesel storage in steel barrel while doing tank repair
WinCinti

I purchased two food grade steel barrels to store diesel in while I have my tank repaired from a 96 Monaco Windsor. It has leakage from a weld failure. 

the barrels look nice and clean. Can I pump diesel directly into bro then with transfer pump or do I need a liner?

I don't want to foul my 100 gals of diesel. Naturally I had a 3/4 tank when I discovered leak. 

C441F3F1-0BF7-41C0-9324-9B1BB3126613.jpeg

What do you think?
Gary Cole

A Dr. is consoling a grief stricken wife. "We're sorry Mrs Smith. We did everything possible to save your husband. The paper work was just to much." 

Tow bar set up
JDCrow

Thanks all for your recommendations. I am going with Blue OX Avail as they are the ones that have connectors that will mount to the D-Ring mounts on my off road bumper. The Avail is Non-binding as well. 

We are setting up our Raptor to be towed. 

I have a Demco 5vr hitch, and it is very well Made

Here is the link to the mounts so you can see what I’m seeking to accomplish 

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Blue-Ox/BX88358.html

2134EF46-B0F6-4E4B-A415-9AFC9BE7405E.jpeg

Nevada Rob

I am not sure what you would line it with? Common plastic sheet may react with the diesel. I would use very strong degreaser, wash them out, let dry a few days then put you fuel in them. Just a thought.

Airing down
eddie4ne

Watching our neighbor air down his Phaeton which took about 30 seconds, it got me thinking if there is something wrong with our system. It takes us about 5 minutes to let the air out of the airbags. Is this normal for our 2002 Windsor to take that long? Thanks in advance.

Tow bar set up
BobSchmeck

Have the same setup on my jeep.  With a roadmaster Blackhawk. 

No interior lights, No power to AC controllers, Overhead Fans not working, everything else ok
ok-rver

Many of the house devices that would not come on for you are controlled on my MH by a relay under a black cover in the driver side forward basement compartment. The circuit board has switched and un-switched circuits. Should be fairly easy the "next time" it quits with a multimeter to do some trouble shooting. Is it lack of power going to the solenoid coil or if powered, burn contacts in the solenoid.  I like being able to turn off the power using the switch next to the door and would probably repair/replace the solenoid if it went bad. 

I replaced my engine battery bank manual on-off switch yesterday. Located just above my two starting batteries.  Mine did not burn. An internal plastic divider managed to pull loose from the knob, and the internal brass bar lost contact with the two bolt heads used as the contacts.  I knew a couple of days ago when I switched it that it was going out due to the funky feel when rotating. O'Reillys had a 300 amp Duralast that was the same size as the original on special for $21, normal around $30. I think one of the issues causing mine to fail is that the cable from the + terminal battery and the continuation cable into the engine compartment for the starter were both connected to the input of this manual switch.  Both very big cables. Lots of weight pulling down on the plate that broke. The output cable was only half the size.  I made the decision to reloacate the starter cable and connect directly to the positive terminal of the battery bank. Half the weight at the switch and one less terminal connection in the cable going to the starter. Wife picked up a Blue Sea from West Marine as a spare. I then got to looking at the house switch and it has already been changed to a Guest.  The boat industry has a tendency to be very conservative about electrical wiring and connections. When at sea, it is very wet stepping off a burning boat. The ABYC standards limit any post type connection to only 3 lugs. Some of mine have 5 or 6. Many of the functions, maybe all, on the dash and those that are controlled by the ignition switch go thru the engine manual on-off switch.

Next time it happens, if all 12V house type devices are not working, I would look at the house manual on-off switch. If some are on, maybe the house relay is not conducting current. Good luck in finding the issues.

Tow bar set up
JDCrow
28 minutes ago, BobSchmeck said:

No base Plate on your road hawk setup? 

35 minutes ago, BobSchmeck said:

Ok found what I think you have, no base plate. I don’t know if they come in 1” wide tab and 1” pin size. 

So is the Roadmaster/Blue Ox like tue Ford/Chevy/Ariete arguments? Depends on who’s talking? 

What do you think?
tmw188

Well here in MO when you return for a re inspection they can only inspect what failed, and you have a certain number of days to get it done or it is a complete redo $12.50. My last MH failed for one time for a bad wiper blade. I put it on in the parking lot and they then passed it. The state likes to see some fails and re inspections now and then. 

Airing down
gregolson65@yahoo.com

Following. I have a 2003 Windsor and my Air Bags are slow to. Maybe normal.

Airing down
Larry H

I have a 2001 Dynasty and it is very slow My son has a 2001 National Trade Winds and it is very fast. I think that is normal for your RV

No interior lights, No power to AC controllers, Overhead Fans not working, everything else ok
Dr4Film

By the way you described the Battery Disconnect switch that failed I would bet that it was a BEP switch which has been identified as a possible coach destroyer.

The Blue Seas Battery Disconnect is a great switch.

Airing down
CaymanXL

Our 2007 Cayman is very slow as well. I wonder if a different dump valve can be retrofitted. 

ok-rver

The one  I replaced was the same as the picture above. Just feel apart instead of burning.

Airing down
Dr4Film

I have to dump air in order to get my coach parked under my house. It takes less than a minute to bring the bags down to the stop.

You may want to check the exhaust ports to make sure bugs haven't taken up residency.

Dr4Film

Are they new or used?

RR8S chassis leaning on air bags after shutdown
ok-rver

Not sure were this should be noted. Pulled instrument mounting plate away from the dash to check on a couple of issues. I was surprised to see two 1/4" air lines from the front and rear air tanks connected to the back of the air gage. My gage has a red and green needle spinning on the same center post. These track each other very close. One of the air line diagrams I studied showed the front tank feeding the rear tank. I had "expected" that these would have a transducer at the tank and electrical gage. I now know that even with the ignition off, I am seeing actual air pressure in the tanks.

Tow bar set up
BobSchmeck
29 minutes ago, JDCrow said:

No base Plate on your road hawk setup? 

Ok found what I think you have, no base plate. I don’t know if they come in 1” wide tab and 1” pin size. 

So is the Roadmaster/Blue Ox like tue Ford/Chevy/Ariete arguments? Depends on who’s talking? 

They come in 2 sizes for the D rings.  Both roadmaster & blueox are top of the line towbars. Be sure the towbar is as level as you can get it when your aired up. I had to get a 6in riser for the coach since our jeep has a 3 1/2 lift with 35 in tires. Also don't forget the aftermarket bumpers don't have a place to attach the safety cables. Also do you have a break for the tow vehicle? 

Airing down
BobSchmeck

I have a 2001 diplomat, mine about 1 1/2 minutes.  At about 30+ - lbs. Thats were it slows way down.  I  don't worry about the rest. The coach is about as low as its going to get at that point.  The last 30 lb in are gone in a while.  

Hi beam indication on dash not coming on
ok-rver

New here to the forum, tried to find earlier topic and did not. Pull light switch on dash and lights come on. Turn indicator switch lever actually changes lights from hi to low and back. The blue light hi beam indicator in top center of my dash does not light. Pulled instrument mounting panel away from dash today. Used alligator clips to 12V source and light is good. used clip on lead from multimeter to ground and the other to each of the two connecters inside the light bulb rubber socket. Tried the 4 combinations of hi-low/left-right wires several times and never saw voltage. Looked a little on wiring diagrams and know there are relays under the dash that this feed is connected to. There are soooooo many wires and they do not have very good labels. Both wires to the socket are black. Any one dug into this issue before?

Thanks for any help,

Mike

redstickbill

When I had to clean my fuel tank on my 04 Endeavor  I used clean barrels, I added a filter to the discharge of the transfer pump, both emptying and refilling the fuel tank, never had a problem.

Bill B 07 Dynasty

Tow bar set up
JDCrow
1 hour ago, BobSchmeck said:

They come in 2 sizes for the D rings.  Both roadmaster & blueox are top of the line towbars. Be sure the towbar is as level as you can get it when your aired up. I had to get a 6in riser for the coach since our jeep has a 3 1/2 lift with 35 in tires. Also don't forget the aftermarket bumpers don't have a place to attach the safety cables. Also do you have a break for the tow vehicle? 

Yeah I need to figure out the safety cable hook ups.

I have not settled on a braking system yet. Because we are not full-time, I really do not want a hard mount (air) system. The RVI looks interesting,  but the reviews have people upset because they can’t get screens (tablets) for the system, and I really do not want another 7” screen on my dash. 

So it kinda leaves the portable brake systems, which are foreign to me. I’ll have to dig in and figure out how they all work 

Rick A

On the fan subject, I tell my wife I am her fan and it keeps my in excellent standing. 

John Haggard

I replaced both fans 5 years ago with the remote control models.

We love them.

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.