Steer Tire Blow Outs

throgmartin

One of my biggest fears has always been a steer tire blow out. Over the years I have seen pictures of many accidents, read of serious injuries and deaths and coaches being completely destroyed

and heavy financial losses to coach owners. Last year I had Tyron bands installed and I admit, I now drive with a lot less stress and fear. If any of you are looking for your next coach improvement

I highly suggest you consider having a set of Tyron bands installed. The accident below shows just how out of control your coach gets when you blow a tire.  As you can see this HR Imperial took a hard ride. The occupants, thankfully,  all walked away and while their dog ran off after the accident it was later found and returned to the owner. I am going to let our fearless leader Dave Pratt explain more about the Tyron bands as he knows the details on Tyron bands backwards and forwards and has the contact info for getting them. I am just glad these people walked away with no injuries. A few years ago I remember a Monaco coach with 4 people blew a steer tire and it veered into the and rolled over. It killed 3 of the 4 people onboard. Please do consider an upgrade to Tyron bands.

Imperial Crash 2.jpg

Imperial Crash.jpg

Here is a quick video on the Tyron Bands:

Tyron Bands

That fear of a steer tire blowout motivated me to install a Saft-T-Plus on the Dutch Star.  The Beaver came with a TruCenter steering stabilizer.  Tyron bands appear to be the ultimate protection.  Nothing like peace of mind.  Enjoy your adventure.

Sorry, but I disagree. Tyron make big claims for their product, but despite many requests they have not produced the technical evidence to support their advertising claims. IMO, having good tires, inflated properly and maintaining reasonable speeds will prevent many of these blowouts. Sure, blowouts do happen, even I've had them but knowledge is important. Knowing what to do in the event of a blowout might just save you and/or your coach someday. Also your mental state while behind the wheel will go a long way to keeping you, your loved ones and all those sharing the road with you safe. Don't text and drive. Don't drive while arguing. Keep your speed reasonable and drive defensively. My coach weighs in at almost 25 tons. That's a lot of weight to stop in the event of any emergency, not just a blowout. If one occurs, the best course of action is to keep your foot on the throttle until the initial shock subsides, keep your wheels forward and then begin to slow the vehicle until you can pull to safety. Most of Tyron's claims don't show the types of blowouts that cause wrecks such as these. Don't you think insurance companies would offer discounts for you to have these installed if their claims were forthright? The answer, of course is yes, yet they don't. Anyone can make claims, think diets, but backing them up is a horse of a different color. I've found no evidence to satisfy me there's sufficient technical evidence that support those claims. I spend my money on things other than snake oil and diets. What to do in a case of a blowout? Education is free and Google is your friend. Travel safe, my friends......Dennis

BTW, that motor home that went sideways into the center divider that was mentioned....well, he was PASSING a semi who was traveling 65mph at the time of the accident. These tires are speed rated at 75mph, and I'm sure he was close to that. It's too bad a lot of these 'investigations' aren't made public so the real cause(s) are known...D            

Edited by Executive45
  • Like 2

Chris,  I also received that story in my Facebook News feed.  I read where they had a steer tire blowout but when looking at the photos after it was pulled out I noticed the right tire appeared to be somewhat in tact and still on the rim.  If he really had a blowout I would have expected to see that tire pretty much shredded or ?.  I could be very wrong but I'm kind of wondering what really went wrong there.  I'm am also very thankful that Dave had Tyron bands installed in our Monaco and can ride with much less anxiety but still very much on my mind at all times.

THANK YOU DAVE !!!

MONACO CRASH_01.jpg

MONACO CRASH_02.jpg

Edited by Mike H
Photos added

The attached pictures are from a good friends 04 Signature after he had a "left front steer tire" blow out heading East on I-25 SC at 65MPH. The accident happened July 2010 and his wife was hospitalized with injury's and the vehicle was hit head on when he crossed over to the Westbound side and a Woman was killed as a result. The coach had SEVEN Year old JUNKYEAR GY670 Tires. I discussed and encouraged him on getting the tires replaced and installing the TYRON BANDS before he made his Summer trip. Instead, He decided to make the trip, replace the tires and install the Tyron Bands when he finished the trip. Needless to say the Coach never made it home.

Dennis, I will have to disagree with your responce, but you are wrong about the Tyron Bands and your knowledge of them. Your Information is Incorrect and Misinformed. There are several members in this group that have had a Steer Tire blow out and the Tyron Bands Performed as they claimed they would. The are also others that have had a Steer Tire blow out without the TYRON Bands installed on the Steer Tires  and the results on every one was not good. If you do your research you will find a lot of Technical and Physical Evidence that supports TYRON's claims. I have kept records of all the Members who have had a steer tire blow out with the TYRON Bands Installed and not one Member has ever reported that the TYRON BAND failed to live up to their claims.

I wonder what claims that you are referring to. TYRON BANDS will not keep you from have a Flat Tire or Tire Blow Out. The TYRON BAND will help you maintain directional control in the event you do have a steer tire failure. The same as with a TPMS. A TPMS will not keep you from having a flat tire but can warn you of a problem before it happens, but a TPMS will not warn you of a sudden tire failure such as a blowout.

My 05 Exec was the first coach to have the Tyron bands installed in the US and because of my personal experience, knowledge  and research have been a strong Advocate for them ever since. There is a reason that many of our  First Responders, our Military and many Foreign Military's and their First Responders have them installed on their vehicles/fleets. No matter how well trained you may think you are for a steer tire blow out, you will have a "COME to JESUS MOMENT" when you do and the extra Safety Margin you have with the TYRON bands will greatly be appreciated.

In my humble opinion, driving one of these beasts on the highway at highway speeds, comfortable or otherwise, without the Tyron Bands and a Tire Pressure Monitoring System is a Death Wish waiting to happen. But, what the heck, "What is a life or lives worth today".

The first picture shows the damage to the coach. The second picture that looks like a pile of junk is what was left of the front of his coach. The green box in the picture is what was the Generator.  The third picture is the left front wheel (tire is gone). Picture six is a closeup of the pile of junk that was the front of the coach and if you look closely you will see the NISSAN nameplate from the car that was hit head on. The NISSAN had to be removed from he accident scene for the victim to be cut out of it. The last picture was the damage to the Toad. and the Signature can be seen in the background.

The pictures are a reminder and an Image that I pray and no one else will ever have to experience.

The bigger question is what is your SAFETY, your friends, loved ones and others worth as we travel the country in these wonderful Beasts. I will gladly pay whatever it costs to be safe.

!cid_020b01cb1f72$10fbeeb0$5E86AC71@davidsoffice.jpg

!cid_020101cb1f72$10f97db0$5E86AC71@davidsoffice.jpg

!cid_020301cb1f72$10fbeeb0$5E86AC71@davidsoffice.jpg

!cid_020501cb1f72$10fbeeb0$5E86AC71@davidsoffice.jpg

!cid_020801cb1f72$10fbeeb0$5E86AC71@davidsoffice.jpg

!cid_021201cb1f72$10fe5fb0$5E86AC71@davidsoffice.jpg

!cid_020d01cb1f72$10fbeeb0$5E86AC71@davidsoffice.jpg

10 minutes ago, sheena154 said:

If one has tyron bands on their tires can they be reused when replacing tires?  Thanks.

Patricia N.

'06 Diplomat

Yes they can.  I replaced my tires and the bands were reinstalled.  I would highly recommend though to also carry their emergence road kit and a pair of spare clamping bolts and removal socket (The new road kits include these) as you will most likely need this is you ever need to have a tire replaced while traveling.  You won't be able to remove a tire with the Tyron Bands in place.

image.png.5600bcec52283586439a7de691c96970.png

Edited by Mike H

Right after getting our 2002 Windsor in 2012 I installed a set of SteerSafe stabilizers just to help in controlling the coach in case of a front tire blowout!  Thank God I haven't found out if they work!  🙂

Joe

• 2 months later...

There is a competitor to the Tyron Bands, the Rettroband. I think this is a better solution although it's expensive (about $3,500 for a set for 295/80 tires). https://www.rettroband.com/

The Rettroband is designed to let the Coach ride on the "band" during a deflate so the wheel-end does not drop as far to the ground (and it keeps the tire on the wheel). 

Rettroband.jpg

Edited by CountryB
add photo
  • Like 3

Or a set of 4 for less than that, custom made by Hutchinson Industries to exactly fit your specific wheel in the USA, used by military and emergency vehicles for years... and no spider tool needed. Bought a used wheel, sent it to them to manufacture the insert. As a side benefit, now I have a complete spare wheel and tire ready to go.

165B5C7F-963D-4837-8BEF-72C0D8598674.jpeg

IMG_2637.JPG

• Like 4

Hutchinson has been around for ever, making all kinds of runflat inserts.  All humvees had them too but they were rubber. Rettroband is Australian and I believe was first available early last year. Like everything RV, the markup must be huge.

Guest Cruzbill

Just replaced my "Junkyear" G670 tires. (tag axle) . Mfg date 2010. Not any sign of abnormal wear. The guys at the tire shop could not believe they were 10 yrs old.  Like the OP, my biggest fear driving these big rigs is a steer blowout. I have new tires (now 2 yrs old) on the steer and 1 yr old on the drive. The tag tires were just replaced. I won't mention the brand, well, you know. If these run flat inserts work, why are they so outrageously expensive? Cheaper than an accident, I know........

17 hours ago, Ivan K said:

Or a set of 4 for less than that, custom made by Hutchinson Industries to exactly fit your specific wheel in the USA, used by military and emergency vehicles for years... and no spider tool needed. Bought a used wheel, sent it to them to manufacture the insert. As a side benefit, now I have a complete spare wheel and tire ready to go.

How much did these cost for a pair.
I'm not too concerned with the rears, as I've had a rear blowout and it really didn't affect handling at all, though it did do some damage.

My main concern is losing a steer tire, especially in a curve.  Keeping the tire on the wheel, and supporting the weight of the vehicle, could make all the difference between having some body damage and serious injury or death, as well as total loss of your coach, and in my case my race car, trailer, and equipment.

• Like 1

As far as the cost, it came to just under $3K with freight for the set of 4. This was a minimum order (4) so if you could split the 2 pairs and cost with someone else, you'll get a very decent price. That said, I have an extra pair now but it only works with my specific rim profile. Alcoa changed some profiles over time even with the same part number so I had to send a wheel for them to match it. It isn't universal and will not move on the rim sideways as the other potentially could.

• Thanks 3

I'll wade in.  I bought my Tyrons in 2010.  They are on the third set of tire.  I actually helped (or really did the work) on each install.  I followed the instructions of Chuck Thatcher.  I used NEW hardware on the both installs.  On the last one (approx 60K), I replaced the spacers as well.  I did a lot of research.  I also trusted David and Fred (White) advice.  During my research, I never found a instance where they did NOT work.  I did find one complaint where an idiot drove on the deflated tire for many miles and complained.  BUT, he did not have a blowout.  

I will comment that the Tyron Spider (newest model) is essential.  NOW, some of our more enterprising and gear headed guys have installed without the tool.  Sort of like cutting wood with an axe versus a chainsaw.  Both get the job done.  Just a matter of skill and effort.

I used the "old" style on the first install and the newer one on the second.  Far better.

The only caveat....BE THERE.....VERIFY and INSPECT.  LazyDays did the original install.  I THINK that they botched or did not do it properly.  The bands were "loose" as in centrifugal force caused them to move....to the outside.  There is some debate about the critical positioning (centered in the well).  SO....get past the BS.  Centered is where they were designed to work.  Moved out to one side....skepticism.

Therefore, on a new or subsequent install.....

FIRST.....make sure the spacers (they hold the physical band OFF the well) are installed and hammered (rubber mallet) in place.  I think that LD goofed and got into a hurry.

Second....use a Torque Wrench (Small 1/4") calibrated in Inch Pounds for the torque....or KNOW (experiment with an allen wrench or such) the approximate torque "feel".  

Third....make sure the sucker is CENTERED (actually second) and THEN torque down.  

It is relatively easy....but in a confined space.  The Spider Tool (sold by Tyron) makes it easy to compress the tire.

FOURTH....all the HOT SHOTS at the tire dealership will say..."I knows HOW to do it....RIGHT"..  IF you are removing and REINSTALLING the same (used) tire.....YES...they can be put on without the tool.  You still then face the daunting task of centering and torquing.  The compression tool makes that easier.

FIFTH....NEW TIRE.....SOME have done that.  No argument.  BUT, a new tire is STIFF and the old tire has been FLEXED.  That is the difference.  I had two really good installers spend an hour and then I threw the flag.  I got out my spider and we did the install in no time flat.  The last time, the installer HAD installed Tyron Bands before....and he said.  OMG....that was simple with the tool...

Bottom line....I trust them.  But, I drive like I don't have them.  I punch the display on my PressurePro monitor every 5 - 10 minutes....and I know others that have a tablet or laptop and integrated the PP RS232 Port into their system.  I KNOW the approximate pressures at given speeds and temperatures and conditions...like Asphalt versus Concrete.  I also look at the relative pressures of one side versus another.

My thoughts.  My MH.  My safety....  

On 3/11/2020 at 12:36 PM, Mike H said:

Yes they can.  I replaced my tires and the bands were reinstalled.  I would highly recommend though to also carry their emergence road kit and a pair of spare clamping bolts and removal socket (The new road kits include these) as you will most likely need this is you ever need to have a tire replaced while traveling.  You won't be able to remove a tire with the Tyron Bands in place.

image.png.5600bcec52283586439a7de691c96970.png

I have Tyron Bands installed on my steer wheels.  If I need to replace the clamping bolts when I install new tires what size of bolt and how many do I need to stock?

Bob Raffety

2005 Dynasty Countess lll

Bob,  You will need one bolt per band.  I can't verify the bolt size right now because our coach is in storage and that's where I keep my spares.  It appears to be a SS socket head bolt about 1/4" x 2 or 2-1/2" long.  I don't know the thread but I'm guessing it to be a fine thread and it very well may be a metric bolt.  They have a special drive socket tool with a hex head end on it.  I would suggest just getting in touch with Chuck Thatcher and get them from him.  What happened in my case is that the tech who had installed them previously snapped off the end of the tool and left it wedged in the head of the bolt and didn't tell anyone.  When I went to replace the tires they had to cut it in order to remove the band, and of course they adamantly denied it was their fault.  Fortunately I had a friend locally who had a spare.  If you buy their emergency road kit it comes with a set of spare bolts.

20180907_131544_s.jpg

20180907_134053_s.jpg

20180907_143332_s.jpg

20180907_143408_s.jpg

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bob Nodine said:

Mike,

I like that compression tool made from a four point tire tool. Going to have to make one of those.

That 4-way tool was what the tire place made.  The Tyron emergency kit I think only costs around $100 and is a lot more compact.

53 minutes ago, Mike H said:

That 4-way tool was what the tire place made.  The Tyron emergency kit I think only costs around $100 and is a lot more compact.

Mike,

I have the original Spider tool and it is flimsy and difficult to use. I just carry it in the coach in case of emergency. The front tires have been replaced once since installing the Tyrons and the tire shop did not want to use the Spider tool. Next time I am considering changing the front tires myself in my garage and that is why I am interested in that homemade compression tool. I plan on using Centramatic tire balancers and purchasing some tire tools that Bill Groves uses.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Bob Nodine said:

Mike,

I have the original Spider tool and it is flimsy and difficult to use. I just carry it in the coach in case of emergency. The front tires have been replaced once since installing the Tyrons and the tire shop did not want to use the Spider tool. Next time I am considering changing the front tires myself in my garage and that is why I am interested in that homemade compression tool. I plan on using Centramatic tire balancers and purchasing some tire tools that Bill Groves uses.

I probably should have taken better photos of their tool but this is all I have.  I used DynaBeads for balancing and  after a good 10,000 miles they seem to be working fine.  I saved some of the old dynabeads , weighed them into 12oz lots and put them in some ziplock bags to carry with me in case I ever had to have tire work done while traveling.  I'm not totally sure but I think there may have been some upgrades to the Tyron tire tool since the earlier ones.  The next time I go down to our coach I'll try and remember to take some photos of the kit that I purchased at the 2019 Gathering.

10 hours ago, Bob R said:

I have Tyron Bands installed on my steer wheels.  If I need to replace the clamping bolts when I install new tires what size of bolt and how many do I need to stock?

Bob Raffety

2005 Dynasty Countess lll

Bob,  In the left of this photo next to the band you can see the 'special' bolt and the barrel nut it uses.

20180907_131917.jpg

I purchased the emergency kit when I was at the gathering in 2019. The kit did not contain the extra bolts. I’ll contact Chuck to see if he can give me the specs or sell me the bolts. Thanks for the information.