Steer Tire Blow Outs

throgmartin

I had a right front blowout on i90 going into Albany in the 90’s in a Winnie Chieftain and fortunately survived.

However, the coach lurched right and was two lanes over before regaining control. I ran a car off the interstate. Good thing there was a lot of lanes. There is a half second Reaction time or so that it takes you to so anything. 

On the last two coach’s I have had a safe-t-plus which should prevent that initial lurch. I also put the Tyron’s on the current Dynasty. Without the Tyron’s there is a good chance a blown tire will work it’s way off the inside of the rim. If it becomes jammed up in the wheel well after getting off of the rim , pushing the wheel to the rear, you are not going to steer it no matter what you do and the rig will exit to the direction of the blown side . With the Tyron, the tire carcass has to stay  on the rim, giving you the chance to steer and control the rig. 

So, probably in order of importance is (in my mind) are:

1. Good tires. Five seasons in steer duty maximum with say 50k miles. No Chinese tires on the steers. You have no idea as to the quality. Dot oversight is a statement. No Goodyear G670’s.

2. TPMS. If a tire loses air , you need to know it. My Pressure Pro has been in service for 15 years. It does cost me 2 or 3 replacement sensors per year in maintenance as they don’t have replaceable batteries.

3. Steer Damper like safe-T-plus. This has some driving and handling improvement but it’s biggest benefit is to prevent the tie rod from moving in the event of a blow out.  Perhaps if you keep your hands at 2 and 10 anticipating a blowout every second of every hour , you can do what it does.

4. The Tyron which is to keep the tire on the rim if it blows , enabling you to steer. That’s it’s whole purpose. And it’s expensive (normally). It’s sort of like having a ballistic parachute on an experimental airplane. It’s not normally used, but might save your rear.

How much safety you want or can afford  is up to you. I disagree with the idea that Tyron’s don’t work. 

bill g 06 Dynasty

IMG_9867.thumb.JPG.9b9147b17294f831c60a4840d3bc1c80.JPGSlow down!  I never exceed 60mph since a rogue crosswind hit me driving 70 mph in 2002 and pushed me 4' into the adjacent lane. I have towed a car over 40k m. Goodyear tires since new. You might be surprised how easy it is to become accustomed to driving at slower speeds and how your fuel economy improves.

This is what happens without Tyron Bands. The tire came off the rim and after destroying the fender got stuck between the the wheel and the frame making steering impossible. I was lucky to have kept it up right as the back left side tires came off the ground per the driver behind me. This was at only 50 mph as I had just turned off the interstate. It took over a year to repair all the damage. 

Ron S 

2004 Signature 

6A3F3E2E-2461-4D95-8A44-A4FC41F61585.jpeg

CB13215F-8DF4-46D7-ACC6-F05984761F1A.jpeg

2D9A7D7F-EB95-47E4-A4EB-359F5079D2A4.jpeg

• 8 months later...

Blew front right G670 at 70 mph I81 northbound south of Courtland NY, towing 24 foot car hauler with car and bike in it, likely around 50000lbs, aside from being startled by the pop and the vibrations, the coach handled fine and was able to drive to the should and come to a safe stop, tire was destroyed and as it turns out was flawed,

32 minutes ago, moxy1962 said:

Blew front right G670 at 70 mph I81 northbound south of Courtland NY, towing 24 foot car hauler with car and bike in it, likely around 50000lbs, aside from being startled by the pop and the vibrations, the coach handled fine and was able to drive to the should and come to a safe stop, tire was destroyed and as it turns out was flawed,

Glad  that you're ok.

Did you have Tyron or any other support system installed? 

Edited by dl_racing427

57 minutes ago, dl_racing427 said:

Glad  that you're ok.

Did you have Tyron or any other support system installed? 

nothing but tire and rim, damaged rim, took out brake line and bent brake pot mount, slightly bent steps, three hours later back on the road, brake line crimped, now I carry spare line, spare tire and rim, 20 ton bottle jack and electric impact

• Like 1

At this point in time I can’t imagine anyone keeping Goodyear’s on a Coach. Especially on the steer axle. By far, the majority of blowout failures are with Goodyear tires.

Edited by Chargerman

Glad everything was OK.  I take exception to the only Goodyear with most problems.  It has been many years, 10 to be sure, Michelin had problems at least with my coach.  I had both steer tires fail and an inside dual.  I had installed Howard Power Centering so was able to safely come to a stop in all cases.  I always checked pressures before trips in the am.  

Michelin replaced the remaining three at my demand.  I was sure there was a fault with the batch which were under 3 years of age and were pressure maintained..  They were on a 38' HR before we upgraded to the Windsor.  I now have a monitor system for pressure and temperature, and continue to check before each trip.  Still use Michelin.  Wish I could get the Howard Power Centering, but alas, the family did not want to continue the business.  I do have the Safe-t-Plus.

Edited by Rich Cutler
spelling

51 minutes ago, Rich Cutler said:

Glad everything was OK.  I take exception to the only Goodyear with most problems.  It has been many years, 10 to be sure, Michelin had problems at least with my coach.  I had both steer tires fail and an inside dual.  I had installed Howard Power Centering so was able to safely come to a stop in all cases.  I always checked pressures before trips in the am.  

Michelin replaced the remaining three at my demand.  I was sure there was a fault with the batch which were under 3 years of age and were pressure maintained..  They were on a 38' HR before we upgraded to the Windsor.  I now have a monitor system for pressure and temperature, and continue to check before each trip.  Still use Michelin.  Wish I could get the Howard Power Centering, but alas, the family did not want to continue the business.  I do have the Safe-t-Plus.

I have newer good years, steers are 5 years old and like new, drive and tags are wait for it......13 years old, no cracking or rot, I keep them Clean, proper pressure, not covered, have had them removed and inspected every 3 years, after I get the speech about age the tire guy says they are still like new inside and out, my steer tire failure was due to inadequate rubber inside exposing steel cords that then rusted over time and

finally failed, I replaced both steers at that time as they came from same batch 9BC6E11F-6105-4ECB-B836-5F9E5B9F5C6A.thumb.jpeg.8bb3d75835adc7c14a085841336da4f5.jpeg

6BF5D63E-491F-4443-8BC3-569F5ABE3D2B.jpeg

51 minutes ago, Rich Cutler said:

I have newer good years, steers are 5 years old and like new, drive and tags are wait for it......13 years old, no cracking or rot, I keep them Clean, proper pressure, not covered, have had them removed and inspected every 3 years, after I get the speech about age the tire guy says they are still like new inside and out, my steer tire failure was due to inadequate rubber inside exposing steel cords that then rusted over time and

finally failed, I replaced both steers at that time as they came from same 6BF5D63E-491F-4443-8BC3-569F5ABE3D2B.thumb.jpeg.53b9398af3547f9a9abf59f8ed5a0fc7.jpegbatch 9BC6E11F-6105-4ECB-B836-5F9E5B9F5C6A.thumb.jpeg.8bb3d75835adc7c14a085841336da4f5.jpeg