Reliable Shops - General Discussion

I have a Monaco Windsor 2004 of which I bought new.  My problem is finding a knowledgeable repair shop especially while  traveling. I had a overheating problem. This only happened when I would go up a little hill. I spent thousands of  dollars trying to find the  problem.  I went to Cumin's who told me  I had no problem. I went to four other shops of which two of them told me I needed a new radiator which would cost me $8000.00 Plus labor.  Each shop  charge me five hundred dollars to diagnose the problem.  One mechanic bypassed the Monaco system which fixed the problem. As I had a stop engine light came on   I took the RV in to have it check out.  While in the shop the mechanic noticed a 2 wires lose. with  further investigation he noticed they were the original wires led  to the hydraulic  fan system. This only one experience of many over the years. The worse is when traveling.  So how does one find a rep-ital  shop?  What questions should I be asking before I leave the RV with somebody.

I can't help with a recommendation since our rig never was in any shops but has anyone told you to manually downshift when going into a longer uphill?  While you might have a real cooling issue, running at higher (but safe) rpm will circulate the coolant faster. Works for me just fine.

2 hours ago, Ivan K said:

I can't help with a recommendation since our rig never was in any shops but has anyone told you to manually downshift when going into a longer uphill?  While you might have a real cooling issue, running at higher (but safe) rpm will circulate the coolant faster. Works for me just fine.

Has anyone changed your fuel filters.  You could have some residue left in you tank from the old fuel before everything went to USLD

In order to  get home when I would go up a hill,any hill I would down shift to 2nd gear and still had to pull over and wit until the temp to go back down.  If you are familiar with highway 8 going from El Centro to San Diego there is a 6% grade in which I  had to go uo in 1rst gear.  It took me 2 1/2 hours to get to the top. Also this was at 1 o'clock in the morning.  That's when I went to cumins.  I just used this as one example as one of the problems I have.  It Just seems that you take your rig in and a hundred miles down the road the same problem appears

Since no one has really answered your question, I'll try to help as much as I can. When I'm traveling and have an "issue",  I do several things. First I check RV Service Reviews, link below, then I'll ask at a campground. If it's not an emergency, I'll wait until I'm at a larger city although many local shops in the smaller towns may be ok. We've been full timing for 12 years now and put over 100,000 miles behind us. Obviously, yearly check ups for your rig is imperative as is following the mfgs recommended intervals for changing fluids filters and the like. Click on the link below and search for a facility near wherever you are. I like to look for a facility I feel is good and see what their reviews are. Usually toss out the low and the high then decide for yourself. For an issue like you described, I'd probably post on here or one of the other forums as someone might just have had a similar issue and can offer suggestions. If you go to the facility armed with some knowledge, you're less likely to be taken advantage of. Best of luck....Dennis

http://rvservicereviews.com/

I haven't had any major troubles on the road so far but if I did, I'd call my FMCA/Saferoad Assistance number and ask them for the name of someone qualified and equipped to do the repair.  That way too, you have someone to fuss at if something isn't to your liking during or afterwards.

BEFORE traveling to, (or being towed to), a service shop recommended by Coachnet, (or any other roadside assistant company),  get a phone number and call the service shop.

When I had fridge problem while on the road near Erie PA, I was sent 50 miles to a TT manufacture who used Norcold RV refrigerators but did not service/repair them.

When I had an engine problem in Indiana,  Coachnet was going  to tow me back to Altorfer CAT , in Urbana, Illinois , who did not work on motorhomes at their Urbana shop.

Edited by Mel S - '96 Safari

• 4 weeks later...