Replacing Notcold with residential

amrvmaps

I did this change out last summer in our 2000 Diplomat. The living room slide out window is an escape window that will lift up. I removed the doors on the Norcold and the Norcold went out the window. The Frigidare FFHT1425VB came in through the window with the doors removed and fit in the vacated hole. I made some trim pieces to assure a tight fit and capped the propane line. It works fantastic, draws less than 1 amp. It makes plenty of ice and the we have stuffed the freezer compartment.

The inverter was replaced two years ago when it started over charging the batteries. The new one is full sine wave so no worries about running anything on batteries.

• Scotty Hutto changed the title to Replacing Notcold with residential

If you have an Atwood furnace I'm not sure what would be involved as mine was a Suburban.  

Prior to deciding whether I could fit a Samsung in my coach I did a bunch of measuring, there was a quite a bit of room above the furnace plus the furnace was sitting on a platform.  Other Monaco owners were successful installing a Samsung, although the earlier models were slightly shorter.  So with all this info I decided I could do the change.  I got it in but not a lot of spare room available. 

Steven, 

After a night of unrest I decided the only to find out is to take the step of no return and gutted out the norcold in order to see what I was truly working with. As it turns out after drooping furnace base I now have 70" clearance with the 1/2" clearance top of furnace the best part it will only require a slight mod on the outside not much. I will begin framing tomorrow using same approach you used. Was that kiltz you used on walls? Thanks Steven I'll post photos once I get started next week. 

On 2/5/2022 at 10:24 AM, jacwjames said:

If you have an Atwood furnace I'm not sure what would be involved as mine was a Suburban.  

Prior to deciding whether I could fit a Samsung in my coach I did a bunch of measuring, there was a quite a bit of room above the furnace plus the furnace was sitting on a platform.  Other Monaco owners were successful installing a Samsung, although the earlier models were slightly shorter.  So with all this info I decided I could do the change.  I got it in but not a lot of spare room available. 

Jim,

Yeah I don't have much room to spare even with drooping the platform it sat on the only adjustment I will need to make is raising furnace 3/16" for recommended clearance on the bottom. On your install I noticed you didn't place cover plate over the top was that due to space limitations? Asking this because have little room to spare and this may be the same setup I will need to go with. How did you anchor the fridge down?

@WilliamGood move. That's makes sense to me if planning on residential.  Yes, I had some mold where the icemaker leaked and I bleached it all and painted w Kilz. Good luck.  Keep us posted 

2 hours ago, William said:

Jim,

Yeah I don't have much room to spare even with drooping the platform it sat on the only adjustment I will need to make is raising furnace 3/16" for recommended clearance on the bottom. On your install I noticed you didn't place cover plate over the top was that due to space limitations? Asking this because have little room to spare and this may be the same setup I will need to go with. How did you anchor the fridge down?

I did not put a shelf back in, I rely on the heavy conduit struct to support the fridge along with two heavy brackets in the front that attach to the fridge leveling leg brackets.  I needed all the room I could get so just opted to leave any shelf out.