Creating the Toad

1 minute ago, Rikadoo said:

Ouch! Did the nut come off or did it snap!!! Looks broke!how many miles on the rig? If it broke best replace the other side too, what size tires are on the Raptor?

Nut backed off. I just had a level kit put on the front and I believe the nylock was reused and should not have been. Only 30k on the truck. The tires are stock 315’s. So about a 35/12.50/17. I have a new set sitting at work when we get home. 

The company I got the kit from has billet upper control arms with new ball joints in them. Saving Pennys now.

Wasted a day getting it towed 60 miles the wrong direction, thankfully the tow truck driver suggested this shop. The AAA was sending me to a shop that when I called was 2 weeks out. 

1 minute ago, Rikadoo said:

I am ALWAYS nervious with other people working on my stuff… Guess thats what 50 years of working on vehicles get me… its definitly a double edge sword😒 

Red locktight is your friend😳😎

Yeah I do a lot of my own stuff, traded for this work. I won’t use him again. Look at the lift spacers, he beat the crap out of them and they cannot be adjusted as the holes are beat. I’ll have to order new ones and take them to another shop. I don’t have heavy duty spring compression set up to get it apart and back together 

624E843D-B884-49CC-B383-5D448B4E4B00.jpeg

Is that a GASH on the inside of your tire???

so i was looking at Hatch weather 2night… your going to be using some propane tonight🙀you got any power where your connected? I have a stand up heater i keep in the rig for nights like that. Dont forget your heater in the water closet

7 hours ago, Rikadoo said:

so i was looking at Hatch weather 2night… your going to be using some propane tonight🙀you got any power where your connected? I have a stand up heater i keep in the rig for nights like that. Dont forget your heater in the water closet

Yeah they have 30 amps, 2 stand up heaters keep us more than warm. Headed to sunrise point right now. No gash in the tire, not sure what in the pic. I did turn the bay heater/tank pads on. Seem to be working, water still pumping. 

11 hours ago, Rikadoo said:

Hey Just was going through the long tire thread and saw your post on new tires. 

I put new ones on the steers, and love them. The rears are Double Coin, which is good brand, they are right a 5 yrs old. My question, I’m thinking of replacing them for peace of mind like yourself. These are an H 16 plies. The Roadmaster (Cooper) I’m looking at are J 18 plies, however both carry the same amount of weight. It’s based on size of tire. So more plies, heavier duty I assume. You notice any ride difference? 

So far I only have 80 miles on them, I will be heading out in Nov, however for the handling, it was mostly peace of mind, I noticed less wheel shimmy or "nibbling" as the alignment guys call it. I noticed when I picked up the coach they had only aired them up to 95 psi so as soon as I got home I aired them where I ran the "H" tires at 115psi and it has set parked as I have been doing all the services on it. as far as the Js I did too notice that though they have 18 ply rating they carry 5 lbs less weight than the 16s that were on it, I didn't quite understand that. I have been looking on line from Hankook for a inflation guide, however seems either they don't have one or they don't offer one, I would like to know my tire pressure options for the weight I carry, cause I hope with the more ply I can run a lower psi. Hey on the subject of weight, when you left out from home how much water were you carrying? My last trip over the sierras I had both fuel and water tanks full plus towing our Side by side going up the hill was easy, however the ride down the other side was exillerating to say the least.

When they were replacing my tires the tech asked me since I was having the tires balanced if he should get rid of the centeramatics I had on the front Axel, I was nice... and Kindly  said no im ok with them, he seemed to think they would interfere with the balance, I didn't think that was the time or place to explain what they were all about. When I was under the rig yesterday I noticed the weights they used were stick ons mounted in the center of the wheel, guess thats due to the Alcoa wheels.

So when I got home my buddy and I were looking at my rears which are Hankooks too and its becoming apparent all 4 of them are starting to get rounded edges, I run them at 100 psi. So I went on line for tire charts and they said thats common for too much tire not enough load, I would have felt they would have worn flat edge like my last coach that had 19.5s instead they have the appearance like if I had been doing high speed cornering if they were on the fronts.

One last thing the reason I chose the Hankook AH-37 is because they are listed as a Steer tire only, and they came with a lot of positive reviews on line, the tires that were on it were AH-12s which are categorized as a steer / trailer tire.