Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/523-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

GFCI at wall for shore power tripping
Chargerman
Coach Name Badges
michaelivan
'08 Camelot TRAVEL Inflation problem
RustyTools
Charging Chassis Batteries On Shore Power
Gary 05 AMB DST
Coach Name Badges
barkerwn
Backsplash & Faucets - 2006 Dip
Scotty Hutto
Gary 05 AMB DST
Coach Name Badges
slvfox1954
Oil Level Sensor Failure
mrbill1951
duncan8846@att.net
Coach Name Badges
Chuck D
duncan8846@att.net
120 AC twist wire nut melted
ok-rver
Temporary loss of power
stenderken
Temporary loss of power
Dr4Film
tmw188
Oil Level Sensor Failure
dl_racing427
Norcold Part
klcdenver
Scotty Hutto
tmw188
Gary Cole

GFCI at wall for shore power tripping
Chargerman

It could be possible that the shore power is not wired correctly. 

Seeking source for fan control for hydraulic fan
Hypoxia
11 hours ago, Woody O said:

The problem was, I went up a too long, too high an inclined and it was too much for my coach. So, in the future, I will check the elevation when scheduling my routes to determine which inclines to tackle.

As Tim says, you have an undetermined problem.  Did you figure out if you have the electronic fan control or wax valve?  Cummins Insite will not show that which leads me to believe Kenworth didn't really do any real troubleshooting.  You should be able to run over any pass in Colorado without overheating.

Coach Name Badges
michaelivan

'03 Windsor.  Put me on the list.

covering repair of interior side of entry door
D.Ellison

I will take a picture tonight and see if the wife can help me load it on the site.

'08 Camelot TRAVEL Inflation problem
RustyTools

Thanks, Richard.  Hope all is well with the weather.  Safe travels!

LED Conversion of Fluorescent Tubes - SIMPLE and CHEAPER....
veraken

Not sure these will work on a 12V system.  Went to your Lowes link and looked at the Q&A/Reviews for this product (18") and found this:

"You are correct, our LED tubes are not compatible with every ballast, and they are not compatible with 12-volt RV ballasts. For any future issues/questions, please don't hesitate to call us directly at 1-800-435-4448; we'll be glad to assist."

GE Lighting, a Savant company

FishAR

Since I found my chassis batteries dead as a hammer a few weeks ago this obviously isn't happening in my coach.

My owner manual says

"For example: While the motorhome is driven the alternator on the engine will charge the house batteries. Likewise, while the motorhome is plugged into shore power, or the generator is running, the engine batteries are being charged. Each system will supply 12 Volt DC power to the 12 Volt DC distribution panels."

I've searched here and other places and just become confused, ird, bird, and so on.

In my rear electrical bay I see a device called trombetta. Is this the device I'm looking for that could be bad and not allowing my chassis batteries to charge from shore power? I see no large devices in my front electrical bay.

Gary 05 AMB DST

In our ramblin'pushers site, I think it was said that these older (05 down) didn't have the charging ability. A trickle charger is required to jump the trombetta switch.

Gary 05 AMB DST

Coach Name Badges
barkerwn

We have a 06 Diplomat & also interested - we live in Alberta, so hope mailing / shipping would not be an issue - thank you

Scotty Hutto

The work continues…

Removed old mirrors (silvering was coming off) and Corian backsplash behind stove and replaced with glass tile as selected by Debbie…

Removed existing, cleaned with TSP. Tile set with Flexbond thinset, grouted with Polyblend non-sanded grout, and caulked with Polyblend sanded latex caulk. 

Faucets are Glacier Bay (Home Depot) connected to PEX with Sharkbite cutoff valves and braided stainless lines. 

After:

BD05B0E5-928B-4D9D-B16A-F480A09136C1.thumb.jpeg.8ef721a8fb4cc528f3febb584f3747cf.jpeg

54F903F5-501C-4EF1-980D-6E043E90C48E.thumb.jpeg.b67f6a78728ccb33d67e432aad288847.jpeg

FD1CCC52-649D-4353-8A0D-616BF9660D7D.thumb.jpeg.c04127c0396b4a0b9e1f52737c50707b.jpeg

BE10B06E-53A8-4768-BE8F-555F148B7A33.thumb.jpeg.912fe0d21b64ed0152e620a720bc3fb3.jpeg

Before:

404573F2-32F6-481A-A47C-7EABB799825D.thumb.jpeg.448562852787f7a2ab38fd4e8f29d4ee.jpeg

31462DFA-D36A-4251-829F-36A36EC85176.thumb.jpeg.daf882edf78bcbe4fae7242cbd1709ab.jpeg

F0071CBA-677A-4781-BA6A-6CEFAC9E9C77.thumb.jpeg.e6268abcc68d273c1844fccc0344e930.jpeg

Jim Byrd

Our  04 Holiday Rambler Endeavor didn't charge our chassis batteries when plugged into shore power. We replaced it with an Automatic Charging Relay (ACR). 

Jim

Gary 05 AMB DST
44 minutes ago, Gary 05 AMB DST said:

In our ramblin'pushers site, I think it was said that these older (05 down) didn't have the charging ability. A trickle charger is required to jump the trombetta switch.

Gary 05 AMB DST

Sorry, it is called a TRIK-L-Start.

Gary 05 AMB DST

Chuck B

It is very difficult to provide accurate information when the poster Does Not include year and model of the coach in question.    Chuck B 2004 Windsor

"Since I found my chassis batteries dead as a hammer a few weeks ago this obviously isn't happening in my coach. My owner manual says "For example: While the motorhome is driven the alternator on the engine will charge the house batteries. Likewise, while the motorhome is plugged into shore power, or the generator is running, the engine batteries are being charged. Each system will supply 12 Volt DC power to the 12 Volt DC distribution panels." I've searched here and other places and just become confused, ird, bird, and so on. In my rear electrical bay I see a device called trombetta. Is this the device I'm looking for that could be bad and not allowing my chassis batteries to charge from shore power? I see no large devices in my front electrical bay."

FishAR
26 minutes ago, Chuck B said:

It is very difficult to provide accurate information when the poster Does Not include year and model of the coach in question.    Chuck B 2004 Windsor

"Since I found my chassis batteries dead as a hammer a few weeks ago this obviously isn't happening in my coach. My owner manual says "For example: While the motorhome is driven the alternator on the engine will charge the house batteries. Likewise, while the motorhome is plugged into shore power, or the generator is running, the engine batteries are being charged. Each system will supply 12 Volt DC power to the 12 Volt DC distribution panels." I've searched here and other places and just become confused, ird, bird, and so on. In my rear electrical bay I see a device called trombetta. Is this the device I'm looking for that could be bad and not allowing my chassis batteries to charge from shore power? I see no large devices in my front electrical bay."

It's in my signature. I figured that would be good enough, that's why it's there.

Anyway

2007 Monaco Camelot 42PDQ

D.Ellison

his page says its a 07 monaco camelot

FishAR

Further reading on the internetz tells me if I have a bird in the front run panel I should be charging my chassis batteries on shore power.

Now that I have a pic of what one looks like I'll see if I have one shortly.

Correct?

Chuck B

Ok, my mistake, I apologize.    I get my posts to the group in a form of a email which sometimes does not include the posters name and coach model.  Wonder if the group moderator can fix that?  In the mean while I will go to the group site to read the group posts.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Nevada Rob

I feel your pain brother. I can repair an engine but putting a simple picture on the interweb is a challenge. 

Coach Name Badges
slvfox1954

'05 Windsor, I'm interested

Oil Level Sensor Failure
mrbill1951

Thanks for all the info.  From all I've read, it appears to be mounted internally.

I was looking for some recommendations for local service from personal experience.  I have a couple in mind and will contact them today.

I have tested putting it in gear since I got back and it works every other day.  I think I'd rather have it not work at all than just sometimes.

Thanks again

duncan8846@att.net

Looks real good Scotty. Nice update. And was cheaper than a new coac

Duncan Holt

Former 05 Windsor now driving a 14 Entegra 

Rich Cutler

Now I am really confused.   The manufacturer per Ken says these are not compatible with RV ballast and Tom says they work fine for him.  As you may recall in a post and series, my experience was a blown fuse with LED tubes in my 18" kitchen light over the sink.  It worked for a while,  then blew the fuse, as the puck light on the same circuit also now does not work.  I still have not found that fuse in the multiple fuses on the multiplex system.  I still want to convert all the tube florescent lights in the coach to LED strip or LED tubes.  I thought I would have to do strip, now I am not so sure.

Coach Name Badges
Chuck D

2004 Windsor....very interested. 

duncan8846@att.net

FishAR,  

I had a 05 Windsor, one step up from the Camelot, that had the same problem. I installed a trick l start which robs voltage from house batts while they are charged or charging and deposits voltage in the chassis batteries. It’s easy to install in the RRB and is smart enough to wait until the house batts are charged so you don’t nd up with both batteries run down.

Duncan H

2014 Entegra Anthem 

ok-rver

I believe the cord reel is #6.  The house wiring has 5 or 6 solid copper wires twisted into a bundle with insulation around all of the wires. they look to be 14 ga or 12 ga for each wire. The bundle should be rated for the 50 amp service.

Temporary loss of power
stenderken

Cummins uses a variable volume turbo on some engines.  I had a problem with this system while the ISL engine in my 2009 Dynasty was still covered by the Cummins 5 year warranty.  The Cummins shop replaced the turbo itself, the turbo tachometer sending unit and finally they figured out that the problem was with the variable volume unit.  Not too sure how it works, but I was told that it is not a waste gate but works in conjunction with the EGR system.  What happened was that on a long pull the engine would lay down and the boost would drop down to the 10 to 12 psi range.  Wow!  When you are on a 6 or 7 percent grade going about 36 mph in third gear and you lose power, you don't have much room to move onto the shoulder, if there is one.  This happened to me about ten times before Cummins  replaced the variable volume unit.  Whenever this happened I would stop, turn off the engine, wait awhile and then restart and go on my way.  It happened very randomly.

Onan 12.5 Generator shuts down on engine start-up
Mike Wahl

I've been able to use our new to us 2001 Signature over the past 3 weekend and we are loving it.  One of the things I noticed is that when I start my main engine, the Onan 12.5 generator shuts down. Is this the way it is suppose to work or is there something wrong?  

Onan 12.5 Generator shuts down on engine start-up
Ivan K

It is not how it is supposed to work. Your gen DC power runs off chassis batteries. Same batteries used for starting the engine. If the DC voltage drops too much at that time, the genny will stop. Check the batteries, connections, voltage at that time  See if it happens with boost switch ON, that should confirm it 

Temporary loss of power
Dr4Film

Some Monaco Cummins engines that have the VGT. Variable Geometry Turbo, do not have a separate exhaust brake. The VGT is used for both purposes.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/pacbrake-and-vgt-turbo-204626.html

Timaz996

If you have a wax valve valve fan controller you can remove the 1/4" lines from the valve and cap them with brass plugs to test it. This will make your fan run wide open even at fast idle. Sorry but I don't know how to test the electronic type. If you have two 1/4" lines going to something mounted on the end tank on your radiator that is a wax valve. If you do remove the 1/4" lines from the valve have a drip pan and have your brass plug ready to cap it fast as it will drain hydraulic fluid.

er 

On 8/15/2021 at 8:43 AM, Woody O said:

Traveling over contential divide to reach Grand Tetons, had to drop speed drop down to 35mph and had to stop 4 times to cool down radiator. Got appointment at Kenworth Sales in Idaho Falls this coming Thursday. Over the phone, they are thinking fan control. Not sure if they would have a replacement, so was hoping to find a source here to help out if they don’t. Have a 2006 Dynasty with ISL-2 400 Cummins.

I should have asked if you fan was running wide open when you had to stop on the grades to let it cool.  If you walked back by the radiator you should have heard it howling...pulling a lot of air. If not, that means it's your fan controller.

Chet P

Check the hydraulic pump and PTO connection.  It is a known problem that the splines on the pump shaft can be worn off and the coupler does not allow the pump to deliver full hydraulic pressure  to the fan motor. Result is over heating such as you described.

This happened to me earlier this year.

Chet P

2004 SIG

tmw188

How difficult were the mirrors to get off and did it tear the wall with it? 

Gary Cole

As a temporary measure when on shore power one can use jumpers with alligator clips in parallel between the house batteries and chassis batteries so long as the resting voltage between the sets is similar. Don't do this if one set is discharged because the charged set will charge the other with a very heavy current flow. Batteries with different standing voltages connected in parallel also present challenges for the charging system.

Oil Level Sensor Failure
dl_racing427

I agree, intermittent problems are often the most difficult to troubleshoot, and you never really trust that you got it fixed either. LOL

Good luck.

Dennis-C

Just got back from Lowes with a pair of replacements for the F15T8-WW tubes with the plan that if these 2 work, I'll do some more lights.  Well, they don't work.  But then I thought, well duh, these must be for 120 volts only and I need 12 volt for all the smaller fluorescents in this Beaver.  Back to the drawing board.  Any suggestions?

Dennis

Norcold Part
klcdenver

This is the control board. Look at the part number on it to make sure it is the correct one for you. If it is make offer plus shipping. 

Kenneth

4B2A9BCC-390E-40D7-8C56-1EEED383055F.jpeg

Gary Cole

The pdf at the Lowes site which Tom linked to explains the ins and outs quite well. The integral driver mentioned is an integrated chip which requires an ac circuit power input in order to perform its magic. Type A will only work with the higher voltage a ballast supplies while type B will work with ballast voltage or 120 V. The pdf said the tubes are compatible only with rapid start ballast, solid state or transformer style. There is a ballast type which uses a pre heater circuit. Would not work behind that type of ballast.

Scotty Hutto
3 hours ago, tmw188 said:

How difficult were the mirrors to get off and did it tear the wall with it? 

The mirrors came of surprisingly easy. I used a putty knife and then a longer blade and all three came off in one piece. Probably 10 minutes effort on each. 

The Corian backsplash was another story. Very, very difficult to remove. In addition to the two-sided tape, it also had a generous application of construction adhesive. It took me almost two hours to get it off. 

All were removed without damaging the wall behind them 

tmw188

Ok good to know. I found that if your patient you can use wood wedges and just put some increasing tension on what your trying to remove over a day or so. I like it, it looks good!

FishAR

Learned some stuff, went down to the coach, no BIRD so no chassis battery charging from shore power. I came across this video where a guy adds a BIRD to a panel identical to mine but I don't think I'll do that.

David White
1 hour ago, FishAR said:

Learned some stuff, went down to the coach, no BIRD so no chassis battery charging from shore power. I came across this video where a guy adds a BIRD to a panel identical to mine but I don't think I'll do that.

I don’t think using the battery boost like this (video) is a good idea.  It’s serves in an emergency, but if the chassis are low it likely will put a undue heavy load on the house batteries.  Good if needed in an emergency!

Tril-L-Start, or something similar, to give a continuous change over time will keep the Chassis batteries topped out while on shore.  The Trik-L-Start gets it power from the house batteries when they are charged good. I’ve used one for years and no low battery.

D.Ellison

20210823_200715.jpg

20210823_200719.jpg

20210823_200739.jpg

Just now, D.Ellison said:

20210823_200715.jpg

20210823_200719.jpg

20210823_200739.jpg

Not the best pics ,  I'm going to try again tomorrow when its sunny 

Chargerman

I have had the same issue. You can remove the interior handle and lock mechanism and then the edging/border and window frame to remove the panel. I have attempted to reglue the material to the base a couple times without long term success. Removing the old glue off both materials is very painful. I have tried a couple different adhesives and even contacted 3M for advice. None of my attempts have been successful for more than a year. When originally made they glued and then vacuum bonded the vinyl material to the base plastic sheet. The raised and recessed areas are particularly difficult to get a good bond. I used a pile of clamps and some wood strips along the raised areas.  Still unsuccessful. If anyone has had success with a particular adhesive please share. 

Gary Cole

Wow, scary picture. I've noticed that whenever I stop by the local auctions there is always an ample number of burned out RV hulks ranging from travel trailers to luxury liners. I have read that about 50% of RV fires are electrical related. 

I worked in the silicon forest for many years. In the industry, most generally, engineering specs prohibit the use of wire nuts on conductors larger than #12 and then only on lighting circuits where the current draw is low. Bolted connectors are available for every wire size, are vibration resistant, and much safe in every respect. After seeing your picture I am going to redo every connection in my RV and eliminate all wire nuts. I also plan on upgrading to arc fault circuit breakers. The technology contained in the circuit breakers represents a truly dramatic increased capability in detecting arc faults and preventing heat generated electrical fires. 

2021 Monacoer’s Refrigerator Poll
Bob Jones

I'll bite, and probably get shot for this!

I really like my Norcold. It WAS a POS but one day I decided to fix the stupid thing. I found out the heater wire in the door was broken, fixed that in about 30 minutes. Then I got a wireless digital thermometer to measure the freezer temp and the fridge temp. At that point I started experimenting. 

I had several 120mm computer fans lying around so I velcro'd one so that it blew across the fins from right to left. That made an immediate and massive difference! I then did some more testing and realized that in order to get proper circulation (even temps) I needed one more fan blowing up from the bottom to the fan at the top. Again, massive difference. 

I went from running the fridge on #9 all the way down to number 2. In the height of the summer with 38c temps I set it to #3.

If I set it to number 5 (half way) it will freeze everything in the fridge compartment. Maybe I just got lucky? Average freezer temp on #2 is;

-15c and average fridge temp is 1c

It's now 22 years old and I shut the propane valve off on it a long time ago. I will replace it, probably soon, with a Whirlpool residential, but it will be a sad day. The reason? The Norcold is a power pig on AC and costs as much to run in one month as a modern fridge does in a year. No kidding. Of course, I'm partial to the Norcold because I souped it up for very little...and I may be the only person that has one that has, if anything, a problem with being way too cold. 

New Downloads Available

PacBrake Lubrication Chart
PacBrake Lubrication Chart
PacBrake Exhaust Brake Maintenance Tips - Lubrication Points and recommended PacBrake synthetic lubricant Part No. C18037.  PacBrake suggests lubrication once a year for vehicles used all the time o…
0 comments

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.