Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/528-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Keep Mickey MOUSE out
JDCrow
Brake Dust Rear Rims
Chargerman
2001 diplomat gear drive on slide.
Jim Bob
Rain leak in slide...
lake49068
Keep Mickey MOUSE out
Art Perrone
Gary Cole
jacwjames
Full Throttle Generator
willbo777
Outside push button security
HarleyR
Brake Dust Rear Rims
jacwjames
Full Throttle Generator
Frank McElroy
BobSchmeck
wamcneil
Full Throttle Generator
Ray Davis
jacwjames
Keep Mickey MOUSE out
Ray Davis
Full Throttle Generator
Frank McElroy
Keep Mickey MOUSE out
JDCrow
Rain leak in slide...
vegaman19760
Keep Mickey MOUSE out
Chuck B
Any inverter recommendations?
David Hammond
Full Throttle Generator
willbo777
Brake Dust Rear Rims
Chargerman
Creating the Toad
JDCrow
JDCrow
Gauges not working
Bandit411
Fan-Tastic fan replacement
Steven P
David Hammond
Brake Dust Rear Rims
Gary 05 AMB DST
Rain leak in slide...
Steven P
JDCrow
Good ole Janice
dl_racing427
Cracked windshield
96 EVO
Rain leak in slide...
jad050
Hot water faucets ug up
bmulvenna@hotmail.com
Hot water faucets ug up
Rick A
David Hammond
Rain leak in slide...
lwkhou
Brake Dust Rear Rims
Chargerman
Hot water faucets ug up
cbr046
Full Throttle Generator
Nevada Rob
Full Throttle Generator
willbo777

Keep Mickey MOUSE out
JDCrow

On a Rack/pinion slide, the hydraulic cylinder goes through the frame. There is no way the manufactures can seal it off because they cannot damage the cylinder, so the hole is like 3” diameter in the Frame for a 1/2-3/4” rod.

Currently I use a rubber gasket cut to go around the cylinder rod, followed by an ascusion plate, that is held to the from by welding magnets. I’m trying so I improve on this method as well. The Pack Rats are masters at getting into places. And the love to eat the soy insulation on wires. 

I’ve had to rewire the jacks, genset, radio etc on my folks toy hauler after they go hunting in the fall. The pack rats are the worst  

LED Conversion of Fluorescent Tubes - READ CAREFULLY... NOT as SIMPLE or CHEAPER??....
throgmartin

I have been doing things the quick easy way. As the ballasts burn out I bypass them and install 12 V LED tubes and call it good. I tried the strips once and found it to be a royal PITA trimming the strips, sticking them down and then wiring each strip. I found it easier to remove the ballast, butt connect the wires and throw the tubes in. I can convert a light in 15 minutes or less now.

The tubes I got from a member ( Jim Gritch ) who sells them through his company. I really like them as the deflectors for the tubes can be rotated to direct the light where I want it.  

LED Conversion of Fluorescent Tubes - READ CAREFULLY... NOT as SIMPLE or CHEAPER??....
Tom Cherry
17 hours ago, Hypoxia said:

The sink light is a Liteco model 176.  The porch light is a Thin-Lite model 162A.  Both are 12 volt fixtures

well,

I guess we will find out if there are problems as you have both brands...  Keep us posted on how they last or work...

Thanks,

Brake Dust Rear Rims
Chargerman

No worries. It is normal as the rear brakes do a majority of the work and considering the grades you encountered I’m sure they were busy. Just be sure to utilize your engine/exhaust brake. 

Jim Bob

Is that a set screw on each of the gear collars?  You might be able to adjust the alignment a little if they are.  No actual experience with this...  just a guess.

Rain leak in slide...
lake49068

Had a similar problem with my 2010 Neptune...lots of water at the light fixtures.  After several diagnostic trips, they discovered that the plastic "angle iron" looking barrier that is close to the wiper seal and runs the full length of the slide had deteriorated permitting water entry.  Replaced the plastic piece with aluminum and have been dry since.  Was a frustrating experience!

Adam

veraken
2 hours ago, throgmartin said:

I have been doing things the quick easy way. As the ballasts burn out I bypass them and install 12 V LED tubes and call it good. I tried the strips once and found it to be a royal PITA trimming the strips, sticking them down and then wiring each strip. I found it easier to remove the ballast, butt connect the wires and throw the tubes in. I can convert a light in 15 minutes or less now.

The tubes I got from a member ( Jim Gritch ) who sells them through his company. I really like them as the deflectors for the tubes can be rotated to direct the light where I want it.  

Can you post a link to purchase these?

Keep Mickey MOUSE out
Art Perrone

MOTH BALLS!   I hear people telling me it doesn't work, but in 47 years of motor homing in 7 different coaches and staying in hundreds of varying locations including storing my coach in a horse barn with horses being fed daily while the coach is sitting idle, I have only had perhaps 4 mice enter and found 4 locations that I missed.  I agree that the service bay is the most common entry location for them to enter given the demons just walk up the cable, water hose or drain hose so I make the holes as small as possible as shown by JDCrow then use the convenient bag of moth balls that come in the box and cover any holes remaining so that they are repulsed before they try to enter.  They follow their nose looking for a place to eat or nest.  I usually put a couple of bags in the engine compartment, the generator compartment, on top of the fuel tank and alongside of the fresh, black and grey water tanks, and alongside the battery bank.  I find the smell doesn't get into the living area of todays coaches the way it did in my 1970 Banner or 1976 Kings Highway or 1985 Travel Craft so I don't need to remove all the moth balls when I hit the road.  But even in those old motor homes, I seldom had issue with rodents except when I found a location that I missed.

Whatever you do, DO NOT USE POISEN!  If they do get in and eat the poison, they will likely die inside the coach and the smell may never disappear even if you find all the dead bodies. 

I have always had antique or classic cars and use the same method when storing them.  It works for them although the camphor smell takes some time to dissipate in the car and sometimes I am putting the car back into storage without completely clearing the smell.  I find it not bad and definitely better than rodent smell.  I have never heard of any bad health effects from breathing the smell.  My relatives used to have winter and summer rugs for their houses and stored the rugs with moth balls every season and I grew up smelling the camphor with no ill effects.  I am 78 years old and all of my family, parents, grandparents, siblings and aunts and uncles lived to ripe old ages with no ill effects from smelling camphor. 

I hope this helps

Happy Motoring,

Art Perrone

Gary Cole

Those gears do have far to much lash.  Would have been a better design if they had of used dissimilar  materials in the pair since they run dry. Been thinking  about using a lubricant which would not attract dust and grime.  Maybe something used on woodworking tools.

jacwjames

Here's a recent post on IRV2.com that goes through this very problem. 

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/bedroom-slide-bevel-gears-548494.html

FFrank did find a replacement gear but had to have the pin locations drilled.

Finding this before it completely fails will provide enough time to fix and not leave you stranded somewhere.   Good Luck

Full Throttle Generator
willbo777

I am also having a heck of a time with my 10kw Onan.  It is surging or stumbling much of the time.  I have changed out the fuel and air filter, replaced the governor actuator, and now the fuel pump, it is still doing it, almost quits but not quite.  It is finally throwing a 36 code.  It was suggested to me that perhaps the fuel line has a small crack or hole after all these years and is sucking air, so just had a new line made up, and will install it in a couple of days when I am stopped.  I have been using Onan troubleshooting and have done everything down to the next item on the list and that is the control board.  Hoping the fuel line fixes it, it sure acts like it has to be a fuel problem.

HarleyR
On 8/26/2021 at 5:53 PM, ktloah said:

Thanks Harley,  I've checked the access panel and couldn't find anything. Maybe it's missing altogether!?

I have to remove the panel holding the gauge cluster to access the afore mentioned black box with red button. That's the unit you're looking for.

Brake Dust Rear Rims
jacwjames

Here's a link to a site showing minimum thickness for brake drum/discs for OTR trucks. 

https://www.freightbrokerscourse.com/blog/2012/02/17/dot-truck-brake-lining/

When I first bought our coach ~12 years ago I did a visual inspection of a brakes drum pads and noted the thickness, much more then minimum requirement.  Since then everytime I go under the coach and look at the pads, after +50K miles I can't see that they've worn at all.  I take a picture every year. 

I'd suggest you do the same thing to give you a reference.

Full Throttle Generator
Frank McElroy

Bill, one thing you can try is to run the fuel return line into a bottle to see if air is being pulled in.  The other thing to check are the brushes on the slip ring to see if they are past their service life.  The manual will tell you how to do this.  The other thing I found is that these generators like to be run at near full load periodically.  This cleans up the slip rings and you get a much cleaner AC sine wave output.

BobSchmeck

James 

Thank you so much.  Were out till mid October. Got to figure out how to keep it going till then. 

Now I can at least start chasing the gears down.  

I  need to also try to figure out how to get the gears a little closer together.  Just riding on the the edge were they can jump when it gets worn down is not a good thing.  Maybe my machinist friend can help with that.  

Again a big thank you. 

Bob

Ok, so I can't read. Lol

When my wife read it she found the fix that I was working on.  

wamcneil
On 8/26/2021 at 3:02 PM, ktloah said:

We own an 04 Dynasty with the outside push button pad to lock the entry door or lock the bays. We don't know too much on where to look for the control module. I know the reset is under the passenger cup holder. There doesn't seem to be any power getting to the outside pad. Fuse is good under the driver side outside bay. Can anyone point us in the right direction on where to look for the control box? Thx

It sounds like you have an Essex keyless entry system. The Essex keypad by the door is a stand-alone unit. The locking and unlocking functions are all inside the keypad itself, not in some ‘external control module’. 
There’s also going to be a Wireless module for the keyfob behind the dash. 
However, the Wieless module does not ‘control’ the the Essex keypad. The two systems are completely separate except for grounding the same coach relays that power the lock actuators. 
Check the keypad wiring under the arm rest if you think it’s not getting power. I think the Essex website has a wiring diagram. There’s pos and neg, and then several other wires that the unit connects to ground in order to actuate a lock circuit. 
Cheers

Walter

Full Throttle Generator
Ray Davis
9 hours ago, Nevada Rob said:

"Yes, this is a constant speed generator independent of load."

According to the manual it reads that these are constant speed generator that match engine speed to load????? If "constant speed" then why say engine speed is matched to load??? That statement implies the engine speed changes.  It does not make any sense, a contradiction of terms. I may have to cancel Christmas for the grandkids and suck it up and take it to Cummins. Pay them $2,000 for a repair on a coach I am most likely going to sell off anyway.

I believe Onan gens generally come in 2 types.   One is like mine,  an Inverter type.   Inverter types keep the power at 60 hz frequency electronically by the inverter and the speed changes according to the load.

Onans like yours keeps the speed constant in order to maintain 60 hz.  It may sound different as the load increases because the load demands more power in order to maintain a constant speed thus 60 hz.

If I'm all wet someone will let me know,  just take it easy.  😉

jacwjames

From your picture I cannot see any type of adjustment.  Unless there are ways to shim the gears or shafts it will be difficult. 

In the link that I provided the gears that were purchased did not have the split pin holes, they had to be drilled.  With proper measurements you might be able to adjust these holes to take up some of tolerance.  I guess one thing that would help is to lubricate on an annual basis, a little grease would go a long way.

Another thought

If the gears have keyways you might be able to install a set screw instead of a split pin.  The set screw would allow you to move the gears to properly align them.  This application is not that severe so I would think a set screw would be sufficient to hold the gears in place.  Coupled with annual inspection and lubrication I think it would work.

Keep Mickey MOUSE out
Ray Davis

Ouch,  bet that'll give you a head ache.    Is he still alive?  Is that the pack rat you spoke of?

E1088D51-B71E-4F35-A688-621732D3EDE5.jpeg

Full Throttle Generator
Frank McElroy

Ray, you are exactly correct.  The 10k generators generate 60 hz by maintaining a constant engine speed.  As you increase load, the engine needs more fuel to maintain a constant speed.

Powergear leveling jack controller location 2004 HR Scepter
RNMCBR

Mike,

One other thing to consider is that the piston may be unscrewing from the rod causing it to hit the end of the cylinder before the rod is fully retracted. This happened to me. Fortunately I was able to catch it before it came completely off and ruined the jack. 

The piston is supposed to be retained with Loctite but I couldn’t see any evidence of it in mine. Power gear claimed they had never seen this, but I doubt that due to the nature of the assembly.

I posted a white paper on IRV2 on this about 3 years ago. (Search under “RMCB” postings) The good thing is that the jack is completely rebuildable and parts are readily available either a Powergear rebuild kit, or you can match the old seals and wear ring up at a hydraulic supply. They are common sizes. My white paper lists the part numbers and I think they were about $17 total for one jack. 

Powergear also has instructions posted on their web site and the job is not all that difficult. 

Hopefully this is not your problem but if it is, it’s fixable.

Roy

Keep Mickey MOUSE out
JDCrow
11 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

Ouch,  bet that'll give you a head ache.    Is he still alive?  Is that the pack rat you spoke of?

E1088D51-B71E-4F35-A688-621732D3EDE5.jpeg

No, not bouncing back from this trap. this is a TomCat trap. Same as for mice, only extra large for the Rats.

Pack Rats while kinda cute, are super destructive here on all vehicles. When out in certain areas hiking/camping you have to leave the hood open at night, otherwise you may not get your rig started the next day. Like I mentioned, they shred wiring, fast. And do they stink. They pee all over their nest “mitten” to make it concrete hard. 

At least we are not here, yet.

https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/marmots.htm

https://www.accuweather.com/en/travel/national-park-tells-hikers-wrap-cars-marmots/935941

64655A88-C19D-463D-B0E8-6ED61FD4902E.jpeg

Rain leak in slide...
vegaman19760

Back when our coach was still under warranty,  we had rain water coming in a light fixture in the ceiling of our living room slide.  While at the factory repair facility for many other problems, the diagnoses for that problem was that the slide roof had been installed up side down.  The roof had been incorrectly installed concave, when the correct install is convex so that rain water runs off to the outside portion of the slide.  Instead the incorrect install had any water getting under the slide topper and pooling on top of the slide.  They had to put us up in a motel for three days to remove the slide, rebuild it correctly and reinstall.  No problems after that.

Probably not the cause of your problem but that is what happened to us.  Hope you get it fixed.

Dick

2015 HR Ambassador 38DB

Keep Mickey MOUSE out
Chuck B

The best way to keep micky mouse out is to travel with a couple of cats.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

David Hammond

I just received my Victron Multiplus II 12v 3000 watt (after a 2 month backorder). I will be installing soon as I also just got some LiPo cells in from a slow boat from china. I am interested to hear how it goes for you guys. I plan to install this setup in my 2001 Diplomat Le. I have not worked out where or how to mount the new display and what to do with the old one.

Good luck

David

Full Throttle Generator
willbo777

I have checked the brushes and they are fine.  It is puzzling, we ran it for 5-6 hours after we had replaced the actuator and it ran fine until it didn't, high load, no load has no effect.  After replacing the fuel pump it ran about 45 minutes fine until it starting surging and stumbling again.

Brake Dust Rear Rims
Chargerman

Keep in mind that those pads have a life expectancy of 500k miles on a semi, so unless overly heat stressed by in-proper use (lack of using engine brake) you will never have to worry about wearing them out. It is likely that you will not be able to notice any wear at all year of year. 

Creating the Toad
JDCrow

Almost done. We had a hiccup with some perch clips. Need the OEM, but last shop threw them out. Found 2 on the shelf at a supply house in Cali. They are non existent. The other 2 came off a shock that was being tested at the off-road manufacturer. Hopefully they are here next week 

Bumper getting lights as well.

Look at its bunk mate 

3367390D-0CCC-4BE2-95FD-0537430EEA4B.jpeg

2A5922A7-DEC2-43C9-B09B-01C68C1A8C2B.jpeg

6454A50F-55A5-4342-90CB-56C53478F3BF.jpeg

60B76135-1E27-4834-8F40-3D5E3E2CB848.jpeg

JDCrow
21 minutes ago, David Hammond said:

I just received my Victron Multiplus II 12v 3000 watt (after a 2 month backorder). I will be installing soon as I also just got some LiPo cells in from a slow boat from china. I am interested to hear how it goes for you guys. I plan to install this setup in my 2001 Diplomat Le. I have not worked out where or how to mount the new display and what to do with the old one.

Good luck

David

We are on the same path.

Which battery did you go with? I bought a Chins Smart 200.

Did you go with Cerebro and the Color displays?

I went with Simple Controller And going use the Bluetooth features for monitoring 

Gauges not working
Bandit411

Thank you I’ll try that today 

Steven P
On 8/13/2021 at 3:18 PM, 6Wheels said:

To change to MaxxAire requires removing the whole thing including the self leveling sealant on the roof.

I changed out both of mine because the fans did not have covers.  If you already have the hoods over the Fantastic fan, just fix them.

Are you liking the MaxxAire better than the Fantastic Fan?  I have one fan I may need to replace soon and am looking into those. 

Rear AC compressor turns on then off quickly
Steven P

Just another update if anyone wants to know the outcome.   I found a new place that has done the best.  Kind of in the corner under the TV cabinet about a foot from the original location.  I've just left the sensor resting there but am thinking of a permanent move there.  

Also, my front sensor is on an outside wall which is not recommended per the AC installation instructions and I found the sensor was turned back in going into the wall. I reversed that and showed a paper towel into the hole and it keeps the Temps better.  However, that wall will easily read low 80s on a normal day so I turn that thermostat to about 81 in the day.  Keeps the room about 74. 

David Hammond

I went with the;

Brand Name:VariCoreCE

Weight:5.25kg
Size:174*72*205mm
Model Number:3.2V-280Ah
Nominal Capacity:280Ah
Type:LiFePo4

I got these through AliExpress.

I bought separately, two "4s BMS 120a LifePo4 Battery Management System for 12v DIY Batteries, Programmable, Bluetooth Included."

I got the Cerbo and GX 50 Touch.

I bought the Victron thru InvertersRUS and they programed to match my BMS's/batteries. I also bought water tank heaters for the batteries that I will manually operate as I do not have circuits that need maintaining.

Brake Dust Rear Rims
Gary 05 AMB DST

Ray, the brake shoes have a V cut in the shoe. When that V is gone, it is time to replace the shoes. That is how the state truck inspectors judge the life of the brakes. I always thought that was the joint between two brake shoes.

Gary 05 AMB DST

Rain leak in slide...
Steven P

My bedroom slide was leaking and I thought it was from the wiper, however looking closely on the slide roof, there was a low spot w a tiny hole in it.  I'm thinking that hole formed due to the water standing there over time.  Eternabond tape and dicor and no more leaks.  Replaced all the wipers then too. 

JDCrow
5 minutes ago, David Hammond said:

I went with the;

Brand Name:VariCoreCE

Weight:5.25kg
Size:174*72*205mm
Model Number:3.2V-280Ah
Nominal Capacity:280Ah
Type:LiFePo4

I got these through AliExpress.

I bought separately, two "4s BMS 120a LifePo4 Battery Management System for 12v DIY Batteries, Programmable, Bluetooth Included."

I got the Cerbo and GX 50 Touch.

I bought the Victron thru InvertersRUS and they programed to match my BMS's/batteries. I also bought water tank heaters for the batteries that I will manually operate as I do not have circuits that need maintaining.

You are building your own?

Were you nervous about AliExpress? I haven’t pulled the trigger buying from them yet

And lastly, you follow Will Prowse? 

Good ole Janice
dl_racing427

It would be cool if these ladies posted to the site. 😎

Anyone have connections to Monaco of the time, and may know who they are?

Cracked windshield
96 EVO

Yes, for your windshield replacement it would be well worth the drive to Coburg!

Rain leak in slide...
jad050

SteveP,   That's what I am thinking, eternabond tape at edge...   My leak appears to be on the inside lip of slide,  thinking of proactively doing outside lip and all slides to prevent future issues...   Slide wipers will be a winter project, to hot in texas right now.....   

Thanks,   

Jim 

Onan 12.5kw not priming and quits after start with code 36
Rikadoo

Hey Ivan, man you got a job on your hands there, so just how were you able to find some one to rewind that stator? How was the difference in rewinding vs buying a new one?

When you shipped it did you use a trucking company or ??? Sorry im so full of questions however this appears to be a MAJOR undertaking, did your 12k have a lot of hours on it?

Hot water faucets ug up
bmulvenna@hotmail.com

2004 Dynasty with Aqua hot system. All hot water faucets plug up most daily with what appears to be very small particles of calcium build-up 

Have drained the system twice, pumped 5 gallons of white vinegar thru the system each time. Let it sit for 4 hours each time before flushing out the vinegar. 

Have taken the strainers out and run only hot water for hours without strainers reducing the flow.

After running only the hot water  each faucet plugs up again with strainers replaced. 

Anyone have other ideas.

Thanks

Mike 2004 Dynasty

Hot water faucets ug up
Rick A

What about using CLR, it’s very good at dissolving gunk? 

David Hammond

Yes, I am building my own. I got the items from one of Will's posts. I was not nervous about AliExpress at first. Shipment took over 2 months. By the end, I was.

Rain leak in slide...
lwkhou

I have a 2005 Dip and had the same thing happen to me while in Florida about 7 years ago.  The mobile RV guy I called came by and with the slide in, caulked the slideout roof just behind the wood trim, he did not remove anything.  Not an easy job and I was a little skeptical.  But in the past 7 years I have been in a lot of downpours with no leaks.  Cost me about $150.

96 EVO

Following.

Pretty ambitious job to attempt in an RV park!

I applaud you 🏆!

Brake Dust Rear Rims
Chargerman
42 minutes ago, Gary 05 AMB DST said:

Ray, the brake shoes have a V cut in the shoe. When that V is gone, it is time to replace the shoes. That is how the state truck inspectors judge the life of the brakes. I always thought that was the joint between two brake shoes.

Gary 05 AMB DST

I learned something new today 👍

Hot water faucets ug up
cbr046

Not sure about Aqua Hot but with an RV hot water tank you can stick a wand in the drain and flush particles out that way. 

- bob

Full Throttle Generator
Nevada Rob
2 hours ago, willbo777 said:

I am also having a heck of a time with my 10kw Onan.  It is surging or stumbling much of the time.  I have changed out the fuel and air filter, replaced the governor actuator, and now the fuel pump, it is still doing it, almost quits but not quite.  It is finally throwing a 36 code.  It was suggested to me that perhaps the fuel line has a small crack or hole after all these years and is sucking air, so just had a new line made up, and will install it in a couple of days when I am stopped.  I have been using Onan troubleshooting and have done everything down to the next item on the list and that is the control board.  Hoping the fuel line fixes it, it sure acts like it has to be a fuel problem.

Exactly the same issue with mine. I would think a crack in the fuel line between the pump and the tank would leak fuel when it is not running. Even a small weep would show up over time. If air can go in, fuel can come out. I would think a leak would cause it to stumble more often or constantly. It is frustrating how it will run for 2, 3, or 4 hours perfect then start to spaz out and run like crap. It has to be hard on my electrical system and A/C units to have so many power surges. As a retired Fire Captain I have a hard time fixing things based on a guess or hoping something works. Hope is never a plan. This forum has great people with a ton of knowledge. I was pretty sure someone will have a solution or what they did to correct the problem. The tech at Cummins said he is 95% sure the issue lies with the control board. Best price I have found is $825 for the little bad boy. 

Full Throttle Generator
willbo777

I am so frustrated with it by now that I would pop in a control board if I was sure that was it.  I don't disagree on seeing a leak, I am sure I am reaching for straws and sucking a bit of air would cause the rough running.  I'll find out in a couple days, but I am leaning more and more towards the control board.

My Next New Motor Coach AFTER I Win the Lottery!
JDCrow
9 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Yeah I saw that on Andrew’s channel. Insane 

Full Throttle Generator
Nevada Rob

I am leaning towards a new board as well. We have a trip planned for next weekend but may have to cancel. Running the A/C's on the road with the generator issues may cost new A/C units as well.

Keep Mickey MOUSE out
Gary M

I found where Mickey was getting in where the step cover recedes back into the box.

vito.a

A agree.  The Newell coaches are so fine. 

Romeo84

Lol lotteries.... amazing

tomevansfl

Newell is my favorite motor coach. I think you get so much more for your $2.3 million than with one of the conversions. 

JDCrow
3 minutes ago, Romeo84 said:

Lol lotteries.... amazing

Don’t play, waiting for my folks to get the numbers LOL. 

Just now, tomevansfl said:

Newell is my favorite motor coach. I think you get so much more for your $2.3 million than with one of the conversions. 

😂😂😂

Keep Mickey MOUSE out
JDCrow
6 minutes ago, Gary M said:

I found where Mickey was getting in where the step cover recedes back into the box.

Pics! I need to see. 

Gary M

Looks like the nylon spacer has worn allowing shaft and gear to back away. Is that a set screw outside the box that u could loosen and move shaft with gear closer?

Gauges not working
MrAmbassador

Jim, all my gauges quit working. I disconnected the Coach batteries for twenty seconds reconnected and they all worked. I hope this will work for you. Have a great day!

Full Throttle Generator
Frank McElroy

Before throwing a new control board at the problem, I'd make sure there are no air bubbles or reduced fuel flow in the fuel return line going from the generator back to the tank when you are experiencing the problem.  A small piece of crud can easily block the fuel pump check valves causing reduced fuel flow.  A small leak on the fuel line inside the tank can also cause a fuel starvation or air in the fuel and not be seen until you look at the fuel return flow back to the tank   I'm not saying that the board is fine, just trying to be sure you eliminate a fuel related issue.

Full Throttle Generator
Nevada Rob

I appreciate the input Frank. Thank you. The issue remains with a full tank or 1/4 tank, no difference. Are you saying there is a fuel pump check valve on or in the tank?

Hot water faucets ug up
Timaz996

Did you change your filters?

Full Throttle Generator
jacwjames

Changing both the feed and return fuel line would eliminate this as a possible cause of the problems and would not be that expensive.  I know it's a pain crawling under the coach but if you have the fuel lines and tools it would be an in and out job.  While you have the lines off the fittings on the tank I'd check to make sure there are not problems there, you could pull the pickup tube out and check it just to make sure there is not any type of blockage.   

Full Throttle Generator
96 EVO
3 hours ago, Frank McElroy said:

Ray, you are exactly correct.  The 10k generators generate 60 hz by maintaining a constant engine speed.  As you increase load, the engine needs more fuel to maintain a constant speed.

^^ This ^^

Your engine should be spinning 1800rpms from no load, to full load.

Full Throttle Generator
Nevada Rob
2 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

^^ This ^^

Your engine should be spinning 1800rpms from no load, to full load.

That sounds about right. Not very fuel efficient when all we need is to charge batteries or a crock pot all day while out camping. We boondock camp 95% of the time. Good thing I have my trusty Honda generators to put in service.

Full Throttle Generator
96 EVO

Believe the manual states about 0.6 gal per hour with low or no load, up to 1.1 gph at full load.

Ray Davis

If you're gonna play might as well make it the power ball then you can buy me one too.  🤑

Keep Mickey MOUSE out
Ray Davis

Do they make tarps big enough for a 40 footer?

Maybe an RV cover bottoms up.

64655A88-C19D-463D-B0E8-6ED61FD4902E.jpeg.29aaef918cd88fcf9514c22a6b464679.jpeg

Full Throttle Generator
Ivan K

I am with Frank on this. But having a spare controller if it does not work out isn't all that bad either, it holds value better than money in the bank 🙂 if you can get it that is.. Mine is made of unobtainium. There's not only the usual lift pump but also the somewhat complicated high pressure pumps per cylinder. One of them going out could cause what you are seeing. Same with injectors. Just think what the controller does to the engine, it turns the lift pump on and controls the actuator. That's it. Outside of monitoring the vitals. Since you have no codes, likely nothing wrong with the vitals. Black smoke indicates overfueling.. Could be purely mechanical. On mine, I would throw the breaker and run it with actuator removed to isolate electronics and see but that's just me and I have done it with my issues.

Full Throttle Generator
Ray Davis
26 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

Mine is made of unobtainium

😂

Gary Cole

That is a good observation Gary. The vertical axis of the top gear is in line with the lower gear indicating that it should be shimmed and not the lower gear. You 've probably seen a few things in your line of work. 🙂

Gauges not working
Mike in Va

I had my oil pressure gauge act up and my trans "check light" come on recently. After checking several things I finally found one of the plugs that connected several wires back in the engine compartment had corrosion and build up oil and grease and they were not making connect. After a good cleaning things worked. Good luck.   Things like this can drive you crazy.    

Rain leak in slide...
Steven P

@jad050

Here is a link from my post last year.  It may help some. Hey all.  I am in need of replacing my bedroom slide seals and will be replacing the slide topper at the same time.  I have the topper from Talin RV and need to purchase the slide seals.  My wiper seems to not touch the top of the slide currently. I will be ordering guardian plates to install too.  I know Steele Rubber is a good source for the seals.  My questions: how daunting of a task is this?  Is there anything special I need to measure or pay attention to?  Are the wiper widths a one size fits all or are they in different lengths?  Is there a good step by step source, video for this?  Thank you, Steven 

https://www.monacoers.org/topic/239-slide-seal-replacement-help/?do=findComment&comment=1578

Rain leak in slide...
96 EVO
2 minutes ago, Steven P said:

@jad050

Here is a link from my post last year.  It may help some. Hey all.  I am in need of replacing my bedroom slide seals and will be replacing the slide topper at the same time.  I have the topper from Talin RV and need to purchase the slide seals.   

Did you get your toppers made as wide as will possibly fit on the tube?

I was parked next to an Allegro Bus last year. Tiffin was smart. They installed toppers that overhang both ends of the slide by about 8".

Full Throttle Generator
Frank McElroy

Rob, the check valve is internal to the fuel pump.

Ivan K

Good news yesterday, the generator is running again as it should. While checking the install before starting, I found a leak at one of the high pressure pumps but a couple of orings fixed that. That took a bit of cursing because of the penta head bolts they use there. They just don't want us to fix it ourselves. 

Here is my post mortem and a couple notes to possibly help someone in the future.

Now I know why the stator burned out. Not because of an overload (it is a 12.5kw unit) but because the cooling air hose was completely plugged by mud dauber nest the size of a big potato. No way to see it until disassembled. All we had running when it happened was one, maybe 2 ACs and a coffee maker, 10 minutes after startup. We were in southern Nevada and it was hot. I will figure out and install a screen at the 4" air inlet below. Also checking for decent airflow out of the windings fan assembly, as in a picture, is a good idea now.

To source a replacement stator was a nightmare. Ordered from Cummins ($1750+T), 2 months later still no ETA, still sourcing a manufacturer, no promisses if ever.. Many hits on Google showing 'in stock', all false advertising since they all are just resellers and have to order from Cummins just like I have. Finally called Eurton Electric in Whittier, CA for rewind. Should have done it long time ago but had my doubts and was prepared to pay for a new one. Got a quote and 2 weeks turnaround. $1250+shipping. Worked out perfectly. From shipping out to receiving at my shop exactly 2 weeks. Very impressed, all wires marked as they should and all correct size terminals and deutsch pins already crimped on. Plug and play. Highly recommend for any sort of winding work. All shipping with UPS ground from and to TX, about $150 total. (used parcelmonkey site for about half off) Expensive experience but finally a good ending. BTW, we are at 3900 hours and all prescribed maintenance is done in house.

And thanks for the above comments. 

Screenshot_20210828-125101_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20210828-123843_Gmail.jpg

Rain leak in slide...
Steven P

I called Talin RV and Ingrid helped me get the measurements correctly. Since they make the toppers, I wanted to do them their way. @throgmartin

Trouble in Maine
Mike in Va

Finally made it back to Va on friday. I started coming down the road from Bangor Maine with the "trans light' on and got about 20 miles and the trans temp started to heat up fast. Got to around 200 degrees so I pulled over to allow it to cool. Thanks goodness for the NEW trans temp gauge I just put on before the trip. I spend 3 hours and called at least 12 shop trying to get someone to help with no luck. No one works on motorhomes. Even the shops that work on allison trans refused to ever scan mine because its a MOTORHOME. I did find 2 rv shops that told me they didn't work on rv chassic only the coach. I finally found a young man that said he could scan it but wasn't sure he could work on it. I decided to give him a chance. I started to drive the 10 miles to meet him and he came halfway and met me at a mcdonalds. His lap top was unable to receive get any info about the trans from the 6 pin plug at the drivers seat. He crawled under the rear where the motor is located. He found another connected with several wires and was able to connect to the ecu and found NO codes causing the trans light to come and stay on. HOWEVER he found water and build up oil and grease inside the connecter. He cleaned it out and things were back to normal, no more 'trans light'. Before I met up with him he had called around on his own and found a shop in Portland that said they could help me out if I could make it to them. After all of this he only wanted to charge me 40.00 for all his trouble. Needless to say he received a very good tip. His name is Brad and his company is called Defiance Diesel (207) 938-2833. If you fine yourself close to Bangor and have a problem it would be worth a call to him.                                                                                      

Gauges not working
cpat_39

On early 2000 Monaco oil pressure sender was not a analog device. Strictly idiot light type sender. If it fails your gauge will show zero. If engine keeps running you have at least 15psi oil pressure. This was explained to me by Diesel Tech at West Sacramento Truck. 

Full Throttle Generator
Nevada Rob

I have replaced the fuel pump.

Trouble in Maine
Ivan K

It's nice to hear about a good experience once a while, thanks for sharing.

Rain leak in slide...
jad050

StevenP, bought my slide toppers 3 years ago from Stone Vos (aka Talin), very detail measurement instructions to get max width... 

Hydraulic Slides
Mike Rizzo

Just an update ..  so we had no problem with the slides activating...  I did look on the wiring diagrams and it looks like there are wires that come from the parking brake ..  one white (ground) and one red .. also there I believe there is a relay in the rear run board ..  I'm wondering if that might be on the way out. So I was wondering if anyone has replaced the parking "plunger" and if it comes with the electrical wires with it .. It looks like there is a wire that runs from the brake to the pump .   There is no problem with the electric slide..  It does not look as if that is tied into the parking brake . Any thought would be appreciates

Thank you

Mike R 

2005 Dynasty w/ 2019 Jeep Wrangler in tow 

Powergear leveling jack controller location 2004 HR Scepter
ok-rver

All the above were great suggestions. Still have not found controller which is still on the list as there are fuses on the board. Thinking thru cbr046's suggestion, I siphoned off about a cup of hydraulic fluid from the reservoir. Down to a little below the fill level in manual as jack is still extended. Turned on system, extended jack with 2x6 board ready to pry up and by the time I got there it was completely retracted. Did it 3 more times and always pulled up. I am guessing there may be some timing in when the float switch gets to full and the solenoids closing. Maybe fixed. Will double check next time on the road.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Ray Davis

Wow Ivan,  another great story.   I am impressed.  Looks like new.  I just wonder how many owners would attempt the job?   Not many I bet.

BTW does the intake hose fit onto the white plastic box?   Looks like a hole about the right size of box lower left.

bpperk

Might as well use your tickets to start a fire. I bought the correct numbers a few hours ago.

HWH Repair Costs
vanwill52

Lippert = Dometic = schmuck customer service + second-rate product quality + third-rate design quality.  Virtually any Dometic or Lippert product is going to give trouble and technical support will be virtually non-existent.  Standard tech support answer: "Please contact one of our HIGHLY TRAINED dealers for technical support."  Yeah, let me know how that works for you.  Been there, done that.

Hot water faucets ug up
Steve P

Maybe a water filter is slowly disintegrating? 

12.5 Onan randomly shuts down. NO CODES. Grass/weeds blocking air intake.
vanwill52

I do not have a 12.5 Onan.  But on a trip to Quartzsite a few years ago, one of my friends had a problem with his 12.5 Onan genny in a 2011 Camelot shutting down for no apparent reason.  It NEVER threw a code.  Since we were dry camping in the desert, that was a distressing problem.  In desperation, my friend called an Onan/Cummins field service technician.  The tech could not read any error codes.  We tried running the genny with no load, and with all three AC units operating for a sustained (30 minute) period.  It performed perfectly.  Grabbing at straws, the tech replaced the control board for the genny.  No disrespect to the tech--he had no idea what was wrong and neither did any of us tech-savvy folks.  As you might suspect, that did not fix the problem, even though the total cost was about $1250.

Long story short--it was grass and weeds caught up in the air intake grill under the genny.  Why did it never throw an overheat code (even with the new control board)?  I have no idea.  But my friend constantly checks his air intake now.

I mention this because it is something ANYONE can check.  It might not be your problem...but it might.

Ivan K

Thank you Ray. You are correct, the hose marked as engine intake goes into the plastic box first, to cool the board, from there to air filter and then engine intake. So there are 3 air entrances at the bottom. Through the radiator to cool the general area, an other to cool the generator windings an then the engine intake. None of them are protected from bug invaders except for the radiator fins serving that purpose.

120 AC twist wire nut melted
Grampy OG
On 8/24/2021 at 5:58 AM, wamcneil said:

Where is this bundle of wires you’re talking about ???  
Are you talking about multiple strands inside a stranded wire (as opposed to solid wire)?

like others said, replace those wire nuts with something better!

cheers

Walter

You got me thinking about wire nuts. I didn't realize there were other options. I stumbled on a connector called Wago Nuts. They seem pretty solid however I didn't see any rated above 10AWG. What do you propose for wire as heavy as 6AWG? I am more that interested. 

A nice write up here https://homeefficiencyguide.com/wago-vs-wire-nuts/

Regards

Ken

Ivan K

I think it did not throw an overheat code because the air intake opening is just for that, the air intake. It is also sucking air from the side so it might have played a roll? Since the intake does not go through radiator, cooling might have been still functional. I will be much more sensitive to where we park it and throw a rag under the generator when in dirt or grass. Good point Van.

Engine charging problem
Grampy OG
On 8/22/2021 at 9:19 AM, Dr4Film said:

The alternator should be putting out 14+ volts with the engine running. mine reads about 14.3 VDC.

13+ to me indicates that possibly you have a failed diode and it may be on its last leg.

Don't like analog gauges. I use SilverLeaf to monitor all of my engine vitals.

Jeez, I thought 14+ sounded proper. My '03 Exec has never shown more than 13.5v (4 years running) with the engine running reading my BlueFire and putting DVM across the engine batteries. You mentioned bad diodes. Is that something a hack could do or would it be a trip to a specialty shop? FWIW: My dash gauge has never been accurate and measures 12v with the engine running (I gave up chasing that problem). The batteries seem fine and are always charged. 

Interesting side note to the techies out there. I chased a low voltage reading for days on my '18 Camaro. It typically hovers around 12v. I even insisted that the alternator be replaced under warranty. Hmmm same deal. Finally a service manger explained to me the operation of VARIABLE ALTERNATORS. Ahh crap something else to save fuel. They don't call for a full charge current unless the battery capacity drops below 12v. Seems like a good way to eat batteries to me. I liked the old 14v+ method. 

jfbolkovatz

I was following this post but believe the issue was not the wire nuts problem but the wiring at the power source 50 amp pedestal. The OP may have installed a 50 receptacle himself or found a campground with improper wiring. Simply stated both 120V legs were on or in the same phase making the white neutral wire carry a 100 amp loading. When both 120V legs are on different phases and each leg in providing the same amount of power the neutral is carring No current in a 240V properly wired situation. Putting 100 possible amps through a marginal although properly wired connection a fire hazard.

Full Throttle Generator
willbo777

I have also replaced the pump.  I also would think a small crack in the top of the feed fuel line could easily suck air and not leak fuel.  The fuel pump sucks fuel out of the tank at the top basically under no real pressure, and a tiny bit of air would make it stumble.  Am I wrong for not worrying about the return line?  Again with the several hours of good running then bad is the puzzling part.  The place where I had the new fuel line made said they have seen some old lines with a "flapper" in the hose, a small piece of a deteriorating hose that gets flipped up with the flow and slows it.

Gary M
5 hours ago, Gary Cole said:

That is a good observation Gary. The vertical axis of the top gear is in line with the lower gear indicating that it should be shimmed and not the lower gear. You 've probably seen a few things in your line of work. 🙂

I am an ex machine mechanic for lumber mills. Dealt with many miter gear issues. Also ex cross country truck driver, security guard, jack of all trades and master of none.😜

Generator Starting Issues
flyindale

Hey Trailmug,

I am having the same issue on my 2011 Knight 10kw unit.

Can you please send me a supply list of what you used to buildout that extra battery set up.

Trouble in Maine
redstickbill

Mike,

Glad things worked out well and thank you for sharing the name and shop information with us.

Bill B 07 Dynasty

6Wheels

Sorry, just saw this.  We have been shopping for another coach.

The MaxxAire fans are much quieter, but other than that there is no reason to spend $300+ until one fails.

Trouble in Maine
Ray Davis
45 minutes ago, Mike in Va said:

I spend 3 hours and called at least 12 shop trying to get someone to help with no luck. No one works on motorhomes. Even the shops that work on allison trans refused to ever scan mine because its a MOTORHOME.

I'm a little shocked that no one would help because it's a moho.   Is this a trend we all might run into?   I know MOHOs are troublesome to work on but the tranny, really?

Maybe MOHO owners have a rap of being difficult,  I bet many are, and cheap,  I know I am, cheap that is.  Stories about the big shops has caused me to decide that    the mobile guys are often the sharpest.  You gotta know some stuff to be out there all by your self.  Just like the guy that came to Mike's rescue.

Great story Mike,   thanks!!!

96 EVO
4 hours ago, Ray Davis said:

Wow Ivan,  another great story.   I am impressed.  Looks like new.  I just wonder how many owners would attempt the job?   Not many I bet.

I was born in Scotland!

You know I would attempt it 😁!

BobSchmeck
8 hours ago, Gary M said:

Looks like the nylon spacer has worn allowing shaft and gear to back away. Is that a set screw outside the box that u could loosen and move shaft with gear closer?

No set screw, just a pin.

Picked up a washer today, to take up the slack, wouldn't you know it,  its just a tad to thick. Will try a 2 x 4 tomorrow. Till I can get a file or grinder. 

Got to come up with a redneck fix till we get home. 

Ray Davis
1 hour ago, jfbolkovatz said:

Simply stated both 120V legs were on or in the same phase making the white neutral wire carry a 100 amp loading.

I would agree except his white wires appear to be ok.  It's the black wire connection that is burned,  right where the wire nut screws on.

Trouble in Maine
Mike in Va

Ray the sad thing is I called the an allison rep about my problem and he was the one who gave me the garages that were suppose to work on the trans. The garages told me they work on allision trans but will not work on a moho.  I ask if they would at least proform a scan on it and they said no. I checked my phone tonight and I called 13 garages trying to get some help. Most of the ones that didn't work on moho referred me BACK to the same allision garages I had already called. It was a suprise to some of them when I told them I had already spoke to the garage and they refused to help. As I posted earlier I did talk to 2 Rv garages but they didn't on chassic problems. I try to carry enough tools to fix some problems but this experience has shown me how alone someone could be out on the road looking for help.       

Steven P

@6Wheels thank you.  Good to know. Good luck coach shopping!

JDCrow
1 hour ago, 6Wheels said:

Sorry, just saw this.  We have been shopping for another coach.

The MaxxAire fans are much quieter, but other than that there is no reason to spend $300+ until one fails.

$300? For which model?

5B7CAE32-9810-4F0A-93B3-D64B80697874.jpeg

Engine charging problem
saflyer
3 hours ago, Grampy OG said:

Interesting side note to the techies out there. I chased a low voltage reading for days on my '18 Camaro. It typically hovers around 12v. I even insisted that the alternator be replaced under warranty. Hmmm same deal. Finally a service manger explained to me the operation of VARIABLE ALTERNATORS. Ahh crap something else to save fuel. They don't call for a full charge current unless the battery capacity drops below 12v. Seems like a good way to eat batteries to me. I liked the old 14v+ method. 

Would that be the new “smart alternators”?

3 hours ago, Grampy OG said:

Jeez, I thought 14+ sounded proper. My '03 Exec has never shown more than 13.5v (4 years running) with the engine running reading my BlueFire and putting DVM across the engine batteries. 

Is the BlueFire anything like the ScanGaugeD and the SilverLeaf hooked up to the OBD port?

Along that line would a readout from the OBD port be subject to the voltage drops of the dash gauge?

Full Throttle Generator
Frank McElroy

Bill, if I were replacing fuel lines, I would just do both feed and return.  But I sure would first like to know if a fuel line really is the problem.  That's why I suggested running the return line into a clear glass bottle to look for air or reduced flow rate when you are having the issue.

BTW, on an old car I had a front brake caliper not releasing when I took my foot off the brakes.  I diagnosed the issue to a bad rubber brake line that had internal deterioration and acted just like a check valve causing the caliper not to easily release.

As for having a new pump, if you had any crud in the fuel or from a deteriorated line or fuel algae, it could temporarily block the internal check valve in a new pump causing low fuel flow rate.  Also being able to see any entrained air in the return fuel is important to know.

It would be good to be sure you have good fuel flow with no entrained air when you are having the problem.  If fuel delivery isn't the issue, then it might be time for a new control board.  The worst case is you have a spare board.  I think this board is cooled by the fresh air intake and I'll assume you already verified that there are no obstructions.

HWH Repair Costs
birdshill123

In some  foreign language  Lippert means junk. But the rv mfrs. like bring able o deal with one supplier. Lippert is the mfr. of all the frames for those cheap travel trailers. The frames bend and break.  Lippert supplies everything from frames and slide outs to mattresses.  It is comical that they are called Lippert Engineering

96 EVO

I'm going to have to slither under there and see this intake hole.

So unless I've got this wrong, this 4" intake feeds the engine, the engine cooling system, and the generator cooling?

After reading Ivan's post today, I fired up my gen with the maintenance cover off, and plenty of air coming from the generator fan. 

Full Throttle Generator
Nevada Rob

Frank that is great advice and a good plan. The only variable to throw a wrench in the works is the unpredictability of when the generator is going to stumble. I could go out and start the thing tonight and it may run 2 or 3 hours without a problem. Then stall once for 2 seconds and then run another hour without issue. Then stall 10 times in 5 minutes. I am not sure how much fuel should be returning to the tank. How fast do you think a glass jar would fill up?

Gary Cole

If one placed both 120 V legs on one side of the circuit breaker the 2P circuit breaker would still trip at its rated amperage , 50 A for example, when overloaded therefore preventing the neutral from being overloaded.  All the breaker sees is the heat generated by its bi metal strip (small frame breakers). Or if it has instantaneous trip capability a fault going to ground. It doesn't know how many wires there are or what size. However the picture shows what is clearly a series fault. A fault which is not going to ground. An inverse time/instantaneous trip, or fuse for that matter, has no capability of detecting a series fault except in a few very limited circumstances. Unfortunately series faults are responsible for the huge preponderance of electrical related fires. There is a new generation of circuit breaker available when as I understand can detect both types of faults. Some even combine GFCI detection. I mentioned that type earlier in the post. Not to familiar with how they work at the moment. 

Ivan K

With the 12.5, these are the openings,  the large round one at bottom is for the windings air cooling (I just put a grill on it), the oval and smaller one is engine air intake. Engine cooling goes through the radiator. There is an other big fan at the back of the engine (really the front of it in automotive sense, where the pulleys are) that blows all that hot air from the case out back and down. Hope it helps.

IMG_20210828_184437968.jpg

Screenshot_20210828-225431_Gallery.jpg

96 EVO

Thanks Ivan.

I'll crawl under tomorrow for a look. Don't recall see'ing that hole at the bottom side for engine intake air.

Mine is a few years newer with the Kubota engine.

2002 Dip, first MH to cut our teeth on
JDCrow

Picked up a HF camera. Cleaned the fuel pump and surrounding area. Started her up, wouldn’t you know, no leak no. 

0F548907-FFA9-43D5-8C4A-1F4444DBC8CD.jpeg

Full Throttle Generator
Ivan K

I have done it and your jar would fill in minutes but you can rig a piece of clear tubing between the fittings. The inlet/outlet from generator is a male so a clamp would work. For the other side you need a male flare and an adapter or just a straight nipple to slide the piece of hose on with a clamp. I don't remember the size but you can get a 1/4" and an other size up at home depot. I think it was 1/4" size but no promisses, someone might know for sure. 

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.