Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/534-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Low Water Buzzer
Fonman
Do you raise your tag axle?
planodp
Low Water Buzzer
powersltc
Low Water Buzzer
jacwjames
Low Water Buzzer
Fonman
National Forrest Closures in California
blahargoue
dl_racing427
bobdinsmore
Exhaust Overheating Code (1966)
dl_racing427
Generator won’t shut down
Joe Lee
willbo777
Low Water Buzzer
powersltc
blahargoue
JohnnyDiesel
Ivylog
Joe Lee
Low Water Buzzer
Dr4Film
moxy1962
Entry door pad
RS lakeshore
odometer difficult to read
saflyer
Ivylog
Hypoxia
blahargoue
blahargoue
Soft touch light panel
Daniel Chrismer
TSD Fuel Card
ncsteve
Soft touch light panel
Dr4Film
Joe Lee
Soft touch light panel
Daniel Chrismer
Gary Cole
German Air Cond
Bob Jones
Hot water faucets ug up
Bob Jones
Hot water faucets ug up
Bob Jones
Soft touch light panel
Ivylog
Hot water faucets ug up
jacwjames
Hot water faucets ug up
Bob Jones
Gospel

Low Water Buzzer
Fonman

Just to clarify in my own mind. Is what you are calling the reservoir a metal tank with radiator cap or the plastic burp bottle?

i assume you have both? 

planodp

Have anyone converted to oil bath hubs? Oil bath hubs must be a better option since it's use in all newer trucks. If anyone did this conversion what is required to convert over to oil bath hubs? Thanks 

Low Water Buzzer
powersltc

I have the plastic tank with a radiator type cap.

Low Water Buzzer
jacwjames

What reservoir tank did you install, do you have a part number or link.   A picture would help.

What radiator cap did you put back on, the same as what you had or a new one, if so what pressure.

You say it is leaking from a hose, what hose.  On my surge tank there were 4 connections of hoses, two at the top on the back that were small, one on the top that attached to the fill port where the cap attaches, and one at the bottom that is a larger hose.  Is yours the same, if so what hose is leaking.

Personally I would not be driving this if it was leaking, if it were to loose more coolant you could be stranded on the side of the road if the engine derates or stand a chance damaging your engine if it didn't derate.

2003 MONACO DIPLOMAT 40DST FRONT AIR TANK SENDING UNIT
Fonman

If you get different readings the governor is starting to stick.

A new one is less than $20 at NAPA if you can change it yourself before you get stuck somewhere.

End Hijack!

jacwjames

I looked at my chassis wiring diagram and my Bell comes on for low air and park brake but also must be able to sense neutral from the VIM

Fonman

First my disclaimer. I am not familiar with your coach.

A bunch of things can trip a buzzer. Low oil pressure, (should sound whether in gear or not) low coolant, antenna up, slide out, maybe jacks not fully up.

Typically you would have an idiot light or other indication to tell you what it is complaining about.

Since the air buzzer goes off and it buzzes when put in gear, I would be looking for something besides air pressure. Parking brake alarm should give a visual. Easy to test that one.

Low Water Buzzer
Fonman

A picture might help.

Can you start up cold with fluids full and let it run until it is good and hot and look for another leak?

Hopefully over a paved surface?

Typically expansion by itself won’t leave you with enough loss while still driving to set off the alarm. Only after it cools should you get the buzzer.

blahargoue

This post likely won't effect many of you but...

California has closed all National Forrest, State and BLM lands including campgrounds and recreation sites for at least the next 3 weeks.  Might remained closed until rainfall helps extinguish our massive wilderness fires.

I live in the Stanislaus National Forrest area and although this means I can't even go fishing at my nearby lakes, I fully support this move.  Most places west of the Rockies are dry as a bone.

So if you had plans to come and camp out for the next few weeks, don't be surprised if you have to change your plans.  

Additional Information on some road closures:

Hwy 50, 88, 89 are all closed in the Lake Tahoe region.  49,000 people in Eldorado County have been evacuated including all of S. Lake Tahoe and part of Douglas County, NV near Lake Tahoe.  I-80 remains open.  Cal Trans says it may be weeks before the closed highways reopen because they are having to clear burnt trees and debris.

Hwy 58 to Bakersfield, I-80, Hwy 108  and Hwy 120 thru Yosemite are your best bets for crossing the Sierra from Lake Tahoe and south.

Perhaps someone else can address the Highways that are closed up in the Nor Cal Dixie Fire area.

Be prepared for possible heavy smoke depending on the winds.

No need for a lengthy political discussion.  I just don't want to see anyone caught by surprise.

dl_racing427
50 minutes ago, planodp said:

Have anyone converted to oil bath hubs? Oil bath hubs must be a better option since it's use in all newer trucks. If anyone did this conversion what is required to convert over to oil bath hubs? Thanks 

I converted my Dynasty years ago.
You can research what is needed for your particular hubs, and get everything from a truck supply house.

You do have to remove the hubs and clean out ALL the grease, as well as install an oil seal in place of the grease seal, or it will leak into your brakes.

Once it's done, all I have to do is pop off the wheel center cap and look at the oil level in the clear hub covers.

I used Lucas hub oil, and I'll likely never accumulate enough miles for it to need changing.

They also make a different locking kit for the hub nuts, to allow for preloading the bearings instead of running clearance.

I devised a way to do it with the existing double nuts, but it involved a dial indicator, and quite a bit of measurements to make sure I didn't set them too tight.  (Hint: The double nuts have some play in the threads, and you have to account for this when tightening the outer nut, as it pushes the inner nut in further, and can result in too tight bearing preload.)

bobdinsmore

Bruce, very thoughtful of you to let everyone know. Thank you.

dl_racing427

Regen dumps fuel into the exhaust filter, to ignite and burn out the accumulated carbon.

It usually runs during highway cruising, but if you happen to slow or stop during a cycle, it can result in very high exhaust system temps.

(Notice the venturi exhaust tips on newer diesel pickups.  They draw in extra air to cool the exhaust stream, so it won't set someones pants on fire who happens to walk by your truck at the wrong time). LOL

Ivylog

Unlike previous summers I came back East saying anyone with any smarts would sell while they can and move East. The price of water and electricity is going through the roof as is fire insurance, if you can get it. 
Yes, there’s areas with flooding but I’ll take water over fire any day… high ground solves that.

Joe Lee

75710E36-7319-4815-B65E-EB19F2B43814.thumb.png.5ff1b2ceb34b573bf3cbe46777e5ca2e.pngMy Onan 10HDKAG Series A 10k generator won’t shut down at the switch. I have replaced the fuel solenoid. It appears this solenoid needs to push forward to shut the unit down. But, the solenoid appears to only be made to pull in at start up then hold in a neutral position. It never moves forward to stop the genny. I have to do this by hand. 

also, I reviewed the parts manual and I am supposed to have a Rod End Clip on the arm of the solenoid. I can’t figure out what this clip would do, but that could be my missing link!

Does anyone have a picture of what a properly connect fuel solenoid should look like?  I have attached a picture of mine. Am I missing some parts to make it stop?

Thanks!!

Joe

willbo777

I had Josam's change ours out.  It was only slightly more money than repacking the bearings with grease.  I don't remember the actual cost, it was some time ago.

Low Water Buzzer
powersltc
1 hour ago, jacwjames said:

What reservoir tank did you install, do you have a part number or link.   A picture would help.

What radiator cap did you put back on, the same as what you had or a new one, if so what pressure.

You say it is leaking from a hose, what hose.  On my surge tank there were 4 connections of hoses, two at the top on the back that were small, one on the top that attached to the fill port where the cap attaches, and one at the bottom that is a larger hose.  Is yours the same, if so what hose is leaking.

Personally I would not be driving this if it was leaking, if it were to loose more coolant you could be stranded on the side of the road if the engine derates or stand a chance damaging your engine if it didn't derate.

It appears to be the drain hose.   I will be checking in more this morning. 

blahargoue

Thanks and you are welcome.  I may no longer own a DP (switched to a towable) but I still think of you guys!

Bruce LaHargoue, Arnold, CA

JohnnyDiesel

Thank you Bruce. Much appreciated!

Ivylog

Sounds like you need a spring to pull the lever closed. The solenoid should have one to push it back once the 12V is removed.

A rod clip looks like the below

1FF28C5E-7BBA-4602-A0FA-75C92B2FC79D.png

Joe Lee

Thank you.  I can’t find a spring in the Parts Catalog. I will look again!

Low Water Buzzer
Dr4Film

Well, I am officially confused! 😵

Is there a leak or isn't there a leak?

Aqua-Hot Heater Hose is a separate coolant system that is NOT connected to the engine. UNLESS you are talking about the Aqua-Hot Engine Pre-Heat Hose which uses engine coolant to circulate through its isolated loop inside the Aqua-Hot boiler.

Engine Coolant Recovery Tank overflows, low coolant warning alarms when engine is cold?

Photos and specific information would help to solve this problem as this is not rocket science especially on an Executive.

moxy1962
On 9/1/2021 at 11:46 AM, Ivylog said:

10,500 on the tag and 14,400 on the steer…have gone to 315s on the front.

I expect your coach is well balanced you weights are very close to limits, wouldn’t take much imbalance to overload your individual hubs and tire combinations

Entry door pad
RS lakeshore

Does your keypad have a lock button? Mine does and I contacted Trimark and was told it wasn't one of theirs. They recommended I contact Essex because the one I have is obsolete. How many wires are on your keypad mine has 5 and is attached to a 4 wire connector. Thanks

odometer difficult to read
saflyer
On 9/1/2021 at 8:58 PM, Jim McGarvie said:

This has been an issue since we brought the coach home from the factory 20 years ago. It probably hasn't gotten worse, but my eyesight has. Has anyone experienced this problem and found a solution? Can't make it any larger, but a stronger backlight might help.

Thanks.

Jim

One of the most aggravating design features of the coach. In the daytime I can lean close and might be able to read it. Even then the angle causes 1s and 7s to be indistinguishable. At night, forget it. 

Chuck B

The fact still remains that California failed to clean out the underbrush in their forests.  If the past few years several towns such as Paradise were completely burned to the ground because the state failed to be proactive.  

My sister in law is visiting us from Red Bluff.  She lives on 40 acres outside town.  The biggest worry on her mind is that the wind will change sending the fire toward their land.  She talks to her daughter twice a day.  There is a smoke haze in the area requiring people that go outside to wear masks.  Their electricity is shut off several times a week without any notice.  They had to move their livestock into holding areas in town. 

And you worry about not being able to go fishing?  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Ivylog

Are you sure the replacement solenoid was an exact replacement?

How do I send 'Private eMail" to Another Monacoer?
bobdinsmore

Under Yahoo I could send a private email with the click of a tab. How do I do this in our current system?

Dr4Film

Click on the persons name then choose message.

Hypoxia

I raise the tag frequently when on soft ground and when I need a tight turn radius.  It takes a few minutes to come up and for the drive air bags to adjust height so I don't do it on the fly.  On soft ground the tag has to be raised so the drives don't spin.  It also allows more wood to be added for levelling.

Levelling Blocks.jpg

Scotty Hutto

Another way is to click on the little white envelope in the upper right of the screen and click on “create new message”.  Start typing either their name or their “handle” and it should pop up.

Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Scotty

blahargoue

Don't get me wrong Chuck.  I'm on the Central coast after being evacuated earlier this month.  I left this time because the air quality index at home was 400 a few days ago.  Home owner's insurance cancelled 4 times in 6 years.  I too hope the wind doesn't change to the south and toward our area.  It's already jumped Highway 88 near Kirkwood.  As for Paradise, I lost a family member in that one.   To clarify, my comment on fishing was meant to illustrate just how closed this are.

Bruce.

Chuck B

OK Bruce, My wrong, I apologize.  We live in southern Mississippi having to deal with IDA.  All the motels are in a no vacancy mode due to people from New Orleans.

3 Years ago a tornado came through our area doing over $60,000 to our home.  That same Saturday we got a call from family in Memphis that our daughter was murdered.  Her killer is still loose.  Her murder is now a cold case with the Memphis homicide department.  Add to that covid.  Seems every day is a challenge.  Life goes on.

Chuck B 2004 Windsor

blahargoue

No apologies necessary.  Life does go on.

Bruce

bobdinsmore

Thanks. I saw Message but did not know if it would be private or not.

or not.

Soft touch light panel
Daniel Chrismer

We had an electric issue yesterday and a complete 'reset' resolved that issue but now our front room light panel is stuck on (orange lights) for all 6 lights. Any ideas??

This is a 2006 Monaco Windsor, 40'.

Thank you for any ideas.

TSD Fuel Card
ncsteve

Saw on the app where the Love’s discount is now $.28. 

Soft touch light panel
Dr4Film

I suspect that you are dealing with a Multiplex System issue. I would cut all 12 VDC power to the coach by disconnecting the House Batteries completely for 15 minutes then reconnect them to see if that fixes the problem.

Joe Lee

I believe so? It was cross referenced from the original and I have seen it on this type of genny online. But I’m open to whatever info I can get from you and this awesome group!  Thanks for the help. 

Soft touch light panel
Daniel Chrismer

Thank you Richard.

Gary Cole

I have a tractor with the regen system. It gives me a warning that a regen is due and allows me to initiate the process manually. Do over the highway diesels give a similar warning and if so would it be prudent to initiate the cycle manually before traveling in mountainous areas?

German Air Cond
Bob Jones

Apparently they come with plants too...

Truma Aventa Efficient

Hot water faucets ug up
Bob Jones

I installed a spin-down filter on the hot line exiting the tank. I think it was Jim that originally put me on to it 🙂 No more clogged shower heads or cleaning the screens/aerators on the taps. I also installed a couple of electronic descalers and this cut down on the scale buildup in the hot water tank a great deal and cleaned out the lines. It also makes the water feel much softer. It's readily noticeable.

The spin down filter came 'free' with one of the descalers. I also installed a descaler at my parents house. That was really amazing. Within days you could tell from the dish washer and the flow from the bathroom sinks that it was working. After about a month they called me and told me the water pressure in the shower was too high. They have one of those showers with a million nozzles (like a full body shower). Anyway, I checked it out, and sure enough, you could lose an eye with that water pressure. I mean, it hurt. What changed? Best guess is a big chunk of scale broke down at the water pressure regulator. I had to go in and turn it down, quite a bit 🙂

20210626_104021.thumb.jpg.09c3749db7d795695eb31aeb6d8b2c56.jpg

20210128_183044.jpg

20210115_172349.jpg

While I was at it I also addressed another issue, which is not being able to get hot water at a consistent temperature. What I was finding was that I was always adjusting the temperature in the shower as the hot water tank cooled during use. To combat that I upgraded the heating element in the tank from 1400 watts to 2000 (necessitating installing a 20 amp breaker) and then plumbed in thermostatic mixing valve. You set it to the temperature you like (in my case I think is was 117f) and then when you shower you don't bother with the cold tap at all. The valve holds the temperature at 117 for the entire shower (unless the tank temp falls below that). Someone here referred to it as my 'egotistical hot water tank' 🙂 It works like you wouldn't believe. No more scalded hands when doing dishes and consistent shower temps from start to finish. 

20210127_184621.thumb.jpg.925036617d460c69a48373619a328798.jpg

Since I had so much success with revamping the water system I then had some fun by replacing the controls for the electric and propane with Inkbird temperature controllers. They are very cheap (about $20 each) and allow precise control over how hot to run the tank and when you want the electric or propane to come on/off etc. So I can now run the tank at 180f and this provides more/less endless hot water. The mixing valve regulates it down to 117f to you don't get 3rd degree burns. I also plumbed in a line direct off the tank (before the mixing valve) which provides 180f to the clothes washer and the toilet! This means that if you want, you can wash your clothes in 180f hot water and also, when you flush the toilet it self-cleans the bowl. It's pretty wild if you company over and they flush the toilet and a big cloud of steam comes off of it. The idea of using hot water to flush the toilet is not something most people have seen. It also saves you a step if you do want to clean the toilet, just hold the valve down, it fills with hot water, and away you go. 

I do find that using 180f in the washer works well for really soiled clothes. It makes a difference.

20210208_195639.jpg

Hot water faucets ug up
Bob Jones

delete

Soft touch light panel
Ivylog

Unplug just that one panel.

Hot water faucets ug up
jacwjames

Bob

Can you post info on the descalers!

My Next New Motor Coach AFTER I Win the Lottery!
tomevansfl
On 8/31/2021 at 10:04 AM, David Pratt said:

Foretravel introduced the ih-45 in 2012, The coach is a custom built coach. When you spec'd out the coach to be built you had a choice of either a lifting tag axle or a steerable tag axle. All the ih-45 coaches are built with the HWH Active AIr Suspension system and IFS. The HWH Active Air System is quite the system and make driving the coach a very comfortable amazing driving experience. Foretravel discontinued the lifting tag axle in 2018 and now only the steerable tag axle is available.

The REALM that is built on the new SPARTAN GT Chassis has the steerable tag and active air system. The Entegra Cornerstone and the NEWMAR Essex and King air that are built on the SPARTAN GT chassis also have the Steerable Tag axle and active air system.

Do these coaches have Active Tag Steering?  By that I mean do they just follow the drive axle passively (driver doesn't have any control over their turning) or when the coach is not moving and the driver turns the steering wheel, does the tag axle turn with the front wheels (opposite direction) where the driver controls their turning through the steering wheel?  I believe each of these you mention have the passive steering.  If I'm wrong, their have been changes within the last year.

Hot water faucets ug up
Bob Jones

Hi Jim, sure can!

The first one I went with is a cheap DIY style Chinese unit. It's a dual unit which means it has two drivers and two wires. In the picture you can see it, it's the bare circuit board screwed to the wall. Those two clear lines are going to and from the accumulator. Having the Chinese unit there is more for when I run on the water pump. It means that water coming from the pump runs up to the accumulator and goes through it.

Cheap Chinese Descaler

It's worth noting that on mine, after about a month the two inductors fell off! I picked up two from DigiKey and soldered them in and no issues. But, that cheap Chinese one works. 

The other descaler is a Yarna. I bought it after I saw that the cheap one actually worked. It's the real workhorse and it's the orange one you see in the wet bay with the large thick plastic coated copper lines. That one does all the water going into the unit from the pedestal (park water). So it descales water when you are on park water or when you are filling your fresh water tank. But if water sits for a while the molecular rearrangement that the device to it tends to revert. This is also why I have the Chinese one on the lines to/from the accumulator. That way it passes, again, through the descaler if I'm running on the pump. .

If you get the Yarna unit, it's way easier to install due to the nice cables (not wires). Also, they are the company that will give you the spin down filter I have if you leave them a review, whether good or bad. Yarna is a fantastic company and if you get theirs you will have the pleasure of talking to Girlie. She is their rep and she's a real bright light. I have no doubt they will look after anything and everything. Anyway, you can get that one here;

Yarna descaler

If you really want to blast the scale, the one I got my parents for their home is the big Kahuna. It's the one that affected the scale so much that I had to make a serious re-adjustment to the pressure regulator. It's worth noting that houses here don't really have a hard water problem. That house was made in '91, I believe. So my guess is the big Kahuna removed 3 decades worth of scale.....

Yarna Big Kahuna

It also is eligible for a free spin down filter based on leaving an Amazon review.

As I'm typing this out, I'm rubbing my hands together. Why? It's the easiest way to tell if it's working. I just got out of the shower and my hands are soft. The park I am in has well water. And it's good water. But the scale buildup is the thing that got me into this. I didn't know it at the time, but the soft hands and skin/hair is a real benefit. 

David Pratt

All are Active Tag Steering or Passive.

Gospel
1 hour ago, Gary Cole said:

I have a tractor with the regen system. It gives me a warning that a regen is due and allows me to initiate the process manually. Do over the highway diesels give a similar warning and if so would it be prudent to initiate the cycle manually before traveling in mountainous areas?

That’s a good idea about doing a manual region I’ll have to look into it and see if that’s possible better yet maybe I can take it offThat’s a good idea about doing a manual region I’ll have to look into it and see if that’s possible better yet maybe I can take it off

2002 Dip, first MH to cut our teeth on
JDCrow

Lubed the PAC Brake and another project showed up for the Dip

13271DD7-3178-491F-9F8F-94B01697774B.jpeg

370C81AE-A29E-49F4-954C-32DEADDC6DEB.jpeg

51D8824F-7707-453A-A179-F56DEA8F24E6.jpeg

German Air Cond
96 EVO

Wonder if they will start making heat pumps as well.

You would think Germany would have more cold day's than hot day's.

Interior light panel
Daniel Chrismer

We had an electric issue yesterday and a complete 'reset' resolved that issue, but now our front room light panel is stuck on (orange lights) for all 6 lights. Any ideas??

This is a 2006 Monaco Windsor, 40'.

Thank you for any ideas.

Interior light panel
klcdenver

Try removing all power from your unit for about 10 minutes.

Interior light panel
Daniel Chrismer

Thx guys. A major reboot did the trick. .. 

Interior light panel
klcdenver

Glad it worked. It fixes lots of problems on airplanes. 

Termites
tpharleyguy

$7k? Seems high.  I had my 3k sq ft house tented for $2k. 

Slide motor disengagement
Gary 05 AMB DST

In an earlier discussion about a problem with the slide motor gear box disengage. Where is this disengagement switch that disengages the drive gears from the motor. I have been looking, feeling for this switch if I ever have to return the slide with a wrench.

Gary 05 AMB DST

Russgh

Thanks to everyone for the great replies.

Jim J. is your wiring diagram sharable? I am willing to pay for reproduction costs.

jacwjames

Here is the diagram, i thought it was in the downloads section but didn't see it.

It is a PDF file.  When you open it and zoom in it will be blurry, hit CTRL5 and it will clear right up.  You can do a word search and it will take you through all the hits, once you figure out the right word(s) it makes it easy to follow. 

If you find a specific area you want to keep you can do a print screen and save it too your files.  Alternator connections is a good example.

2002 Chassis Wiring Diagram 1.pdf

Slide out topper material
coastal_front

We had our slide toppers replaced with Stone Voss manufactured product about 5 years ago. The actual replacement was done by Register RV, also in Brooksville, Fl. They still look like new.

Slide motor disengagement
jacwjames

The electric motor has a magnetic brake on the end.  Normally there is a heavy rubber boot on the end of the motor with a lever sticking out.  The lever is what disengages the electric brake.  Just move the lever one way or the other.  You shouldd then be able to move the slide. 

I had to move mine a couple months ago when it wouldn't come in with the switch.  Flipped the lever and then used a large crescent wrench and cheater pipe to pull the slide in.  I'm pretty stout ant it was all I could do to pull it in. 

Gary Cole

From an Oregon perspective, currently burning, consider that the experts, the PhDs, the bureaucrats, the public land managers, the smartest people in the room, now admit that they were completely wrong. Buy your local logger a beer. He said that this was coming. Oregon now finds itself in the position of having to pay loggers to remove dead decayed wood, fire starter if you will,  that loggers offered  to pay top dollar to harvest only a few years ago. 

Gary M
6 hours ago, Gospel said:

That’s a good idea about doing a manual region I’ll have to look into it and see if that’s possible better yet maybe I can take it offThat’s a good idea about doing a manual region I’ll have to look into it and see if that’s possible better yet maybe I can take it off

Whenever u do a manual regen u need to have plenty of fans to circulate the air around the exhaust as if you are driving down the highway.

Scott 61

How do you do a manual Regen

Thank you

Gary M
2 minutes ago, Scott 61 said:

Thank you

The only time a manual regen should be done is if your coach is not automatically doing them at approximately every 100 hrs. To find that out u need the insite software or take it to a shop that has it and run a diagnostic on the ECM. Mine was working properly but the two previous owners may have done too much idling which will plug up your DOF and DOC filter. Some coaches in engine area have something to do a manual regen I've been told. True or not I have no idea.

96 EVO
15 minutes ago, Scott 61 said:

Thank you

They don't give us RV owners a switch to preform manual regens!

We're too stupid! May park over a box of gasoline soaked rags 😁!

Gary M
23 minutes ago, Scott 61 said:

Thank you

Your DPF will become blocked when soot builds up in it. ... Forced regeneration: Mechanics can carry out a forced regeneration where they burn the soot off for you. This is expensive, and can only be done 4 times before it damages the filter permanently. This was on the internet and very confusing as why doing a manual regen is worse that an automatic regen.

96 EVO

Never heard of that Gary.

Where I worked, They had an outside DPF 'baking' station where the diesel forklifts that ran inside the warehouses would bake the DPF's on a regular basis.

I guess they had a quick release system on them.

Never really seen it done but maybe they threw one in the oven, and grabbed one that had come out.

Gary M
1 minute ago, 96 EVO said:

Never heard of that Gary.

Where I worked, They had an outside DPF 'baking' station where the diesel forklifts that ran inside the warehouses would bake the DPF's on a regular basis.

I guess they had a quick release system on them.

Well I can only speak of my experience with my coach. When my DPF and DOC plugged up, I had them removed, cleaned and baked then reassembled. A year later my coach acted the same way and the shop I ended up in checked the sensors first then attempted to do the manual regen without fans cooling the exhaust and it got so hot the ECM shut the engine down. Long story short, that wasn’t the problem, it turned out the VGT for the turbo failed plus the ECM needed an update.

96 EVO

Yeah, that worries me. Pretty sure my ECM has never been updated!

VGT actuators seem to be a major failure point on these engines! 

Gary M
5 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Yeah, that worries me. Pretty sure my ECM has never been updated!

I didn’t realize they needed updating till that happened. Recently it got another update while getting a service at a Cummins Care Shop. 

96 EVO

Well, I recall reading a thread by Myron, on the other forum ( think he's here as well), and he brought his same year ISL to a Cummins shop, they threw away and sold him a new DPF $$$, and updated his ECM.

He figured he lost HP, and about 1 mpg

I thought...... No thank you 😁!!

Gary M
1 minute ago, 96 EVO said:

Well, I recall reading a thread by Myron, on the other forum ( think he's here as well), and he brought his same year ISL to a Cummins shop, they threw away and sold him a new DPF $$$, and updated his ECM.

He figured he lost HP, and about 1 gph.

I thought...... No thank you 😁!!

Ouch! Threw it away. Geeze! This last service is my last going to this shop. A 4 hr job took two weeks and then had to take back because my generator was making a tinny sounding noise. Forgot a screw in sheetmetal cover.

96 EVO

Yeah, they told him his DPF was cracked.

Or maybe the mechanic was on crack...... can't recall 🤔!

tomevansfl
8 hours ago, David Pratt said:

All are Active Tag Steering or Passive.

As I’m not as knowledgeable about the Foretravel, King Air, Essex and Cornerstone I had to looked them up.

Each is built on a Spartan K3 or K4 chassis and all have passive steering tag axles. This means that the wheels on the tag follows the path of the drive axle and the driver doesn’t direct them with the steering wheel. Passive steering is just that, passive. They “float” left or right as they follow along behind the drive axle.

With active steering the direction of the tag wheels is controlled by steering the front wheels. In other words you turn the front wheels with the steering wheel and the tag axle wheels turn at about 50% of the angle the front wheels turn. This eliminates tire scuffing while leaving the tag axle in full contact while carrying their normal load 100% of the time, including when the transmission is in reverse gear. Passive steering doesn’t do this.

While both prevent tag axle tire scuffing when traveling forward at low speeds, passive doesn’t function in reverse and does not eliminate tag axle tire scuffing. 

The thing that confounds me is that when you put the transmission in reverse, the passive tag is brought to straight and allows tire scuffing when backing into a campsite. So I’m confounded why Spartan mechanically forces the wheels straight when backing but doesn’t have an active forward steering. Newell’s tags  are active in both directions when going slow. It’s not needed at highway speeds.

Active air suspension means the ride height of the coach is adjusted multiple times per second to compensate for road irregularities and to keep the coach level. Not the same thing as active steering tag axle.

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.