8.3 ISC water pump failure

21 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

This thread is a great advertisement for Coach-Net Emergency Roadside Service. If you or anyone who runs the roads would have had Coach-Net, a simple phone call they would have dispatched a tow company with the proper sized tow truck to haul your coach to a proper repair facility which would replace your pump and hopefully they would have had one in stock. Or could have gotten one over-nighted to your location. Plus the good part is that the tow no matter how many miles they would have towed you to the repair facility would only cost you just a signature.

Thanks for the info Richard, we were going to renew our CAA RV plus but their service is unlike coach net, if you flat out it has to be on a rim and only tow 100 miles,I just sent customer service an email to see if we can be members as Canadian citizens,  

Thanks 

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

The Laramie, WY,  Love's shop mechanic (Cody) did a great job of the new pump installation, all thru the closet 'hell hole'.  A new belt and about 5 gallons of anti-freeze completed the job.   We were on the road to Denver by 11am.  Ran great, steady water temp under 200 degrees (about 180) even on the steepest grades.  I'm pleased to be back to normal ops.

Things I would have done differently...??  Given the age and past usage of the coach, replacing the pump when I was doing the PM service and filter changes would have been prudent.  Having a pump on hand would have made this a minor inconvenience and saved me at least $150 just on the cost of the pump, between "opportunity costs" (buying it retail at 'spot' price), plus the fee charged to go pick the part up (.75/mile).  A $700+ invoice had only 1 hr of labor on it.. at @$120/hr.

Richard, I have Good Sam road service that offers unlimited towing to a shop 'capable and willing' to do the repair, that may compare to your suggested Coach-Net, but I'm a stubborn, independent old mechanic, and unless I'm dead-in-the-water, I did not think about using that service.... probably should have.....

6 hours ago, Cubflyer said:

unlimited towing to a shop 'capable and willing' to do the repair, that may compare to your suggested Coach-Net, but I'm a stubborn, independent old mechanic, and unless I'm dead-in-the-water, I did not think about using that service.... probably should have...

Ken, guess I’m in your camp… stubborn, independent, and old having never used road service. I have my doubts on a holiday weekend, a large enough tow truck would show up in an hour; capable of towing my rig, after removing the driveshaft (or axles) without damaging something and would happen smoothly.

I probably would have run a hose from the outside faucet to the overflow tank and driven non stop to Denver.

Edited by Ivylog

7 hours ago, Cubflyer said:

The Laramie, WY,  Love's shop mechanic (Cody) did a great job of the new pump installation, all thru the closet 'hell hole'.  A new belt and about 5 gallons of anti-freeze completed the job.   We were on the road to Denver by 11am.  Ran great, steady water temp under 200 degrees (about 180) even on the steepest grades.  I'm pleased to be back to normal ops.

Things I would have done differently...??  Given the age and past usage of the coach, replacing the pump when I was doing the PM service and filter changes would have been prudent.  Having a pump on hand would have made this a minor inconvenience and saved me at least $150 just on the cost of the pump, between "opportunity costs" (buying it retail at 'spot' price), plus the fee charged to go pick the part up (.75/mile).  A $700+ invoice had only 1 hr of labor on it.. at @$120/hr.

Richard, I have Good Sam road service that offers unlimited towing to a shop 'capable and willing' to do the repair, that may compare to your suggested Coach-Net, but I'm a stubborn, independent old mechanic, and unless I'm dead-in-the-water, I did not think about using that service.... probably should have.....

Morning 

Nothing wrong with that cost! I will take that all day long,five gallons of 50/50 antifreeze,belt ,water pump and labor ,good deal! My 2014 Ram gas water pump at 185 000 km - $ 3 hours labor,pump,belt antifreeze $ 650.00, 2010 dodge Ram 6.7 l diesel,  same parts just under $ 600.00, book says both vehicles 3 hours min. Labor plus parts. Changing out a water Pump as pre maintenance you cannot beat yourself up for that one, never heard of it, when it's time it's time unless you are doing a overhaul Rad/ valve's which I am going to have to get set , just over 100,000 mile now., cody had to spend time running the engine as well,getting all the air out so not a bad day I would say.

Glad to hear you back on the road

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

Hey Ken glad to hear your back on the road, nothin say f**ked up weekend like being broke down on the corner of walk and dont walk.  Plus it sounds like the repair left your dignity still in tact.

I cant imagine changing that pump from up top… did he at least remove the closet doors? Seemed my biggest challange when doing my work up top was getting turned around in the right direction between the closet door an the raised bed stand. Did you end up getting a Cummins part or aftermarket? Was yours the same pump like mine? Ya really cant grouse to bad concidering the age of the part if it was original, im always amazed how well the Cummins engine perform givin the load they pull and not being a “daily driver” i haved worked on gasser MH’s that dont have that kind of longevity, anyway welcome back to the heartbeat of the hiway and dodging all the crazies👍

Price seems reasonable, especially the labor side of it. 

Back in 2015 I had road debris take out my radiator.  Heard alarms going off and we pulled into a Cracker Barrel.  Walked around the coach and coolant was pouring out.  Crawled underneath and a fast glance I saw there were multiple holes on the inside of the of the radiator.  Something much have got kicked up and the fan must have bounced it in several time.  Took me forever to get a tow arranged.  I was at the back of the parking lot, a bad mistake on my part, should have parked where I would have been accessible.  First company refused to even try.  Second driver said I had to pull out to an open parking lot below so he could hook up.  There was no coolant in the engine at all so I ran a flexible hose off the outside faucet back to the surge tank and ran water until it was coming out the top of the surge tank, and it was pouring out the bottom of radiator.  Started the coach and moved as quickly as I could through the parking lot and down the road ~1/4 mile to an open area.  Luckily no damage done to engine.  Had it towed to Crosspoint Cummins in Knoxville.  I actually filed an insurance claim that was accepted so the +$6K bill was mostly covered. 

While the radiator was out I had the CAC checked and it was leaking bad so I had it repaired.  Also had Cummins install a new water pump and thermostat while everything was apart.  Seemed like the smart thing to do. 

Dick, Wayne, Rik,

Thanks for the good wishes!, You all were great support.

My run from Rawlings to Laramie was almost 'hose to tank'!...not sure I would have made it over the mountain between Laramie and Cheyenne!  

My only problem with the end price was only because I literally never take my cars, (or much of anything) to a shop.  I'm a hands on mech, parts and my labor are all I have paid for years... as an older, less agile, person I'm picking my battles these days.  I did appreciate Cody's efforts with a sizable cash tip..... something I rarely got turning wrenches.... but know how much they are appreciated.

I cleared the closet, opened the hatch, covered the bed, did not throw a moving blanket over the floor and into the closet but should have, and will if I ever have to work back there.  He seemed to have had no problem getting it done from there, I thought he knocked it out pretty fast.   Yes, the pump kit was the same one you used... It appears to me to be more robust, and for sure a totally different shape/design.

Happy to be back 'free to run' again!

Ken

Jim,

I used the same technique (hose from faucet to tank) to keep enough water in the system, just not a continuous hook up... to get to the shop in Laramie.

Edited by Cubflyer