Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/536-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

8.3 ISC water pump failure
ncsteve
slides don't work
Brett63
klcdenver
drip rail
pulsarjab
slides don't work
Corkman
slides don't work
Brett63
Cubflyer
wayne.cerven@gmail.com
Entry Door Grab Bar
HarleyR
Entry Door Grab Bar
Ivylog
slides don't work
Corkman
Ivylog
slides don't work
Patrick
Cubflyer
Entry Door Grab Bar
tmw188
klcdenver
wayne.cerven@gmail.com
Entry Door Grab Bar
FishAR
Cubflyer
slides don't work
Brett63
Rikadoo
Rikadoo
Exterior Grab Handle
miacasa_2000
Cubflyer
Slide topper and awning
big_rig_bobby
Bulb replacement
Donflem
My Next New Motor Coach AFTER I Win the Lottery!
Mel S - '96 Safari
Entry Door Grab Bar
brokenarrow1244
Exterior Grab Handle
Dr4Film
Slide topper and awning
Timaz996
Transfer switch
David Pratt
slides don't work
Frank McElroy
Exhaust Overheating Code (1966)
dl_racing427
Bulb replacement
Gary M
Rikadoo
Bulb replacement
Frank Bergamo
Exterior Grab Handle
Chuck B
Parts
Chuck B
Exterior Grab Handle
Warren B
Gary 05 AMB DST
Bulb replacement
Ivylog
klcdenver
Cubflyer
Exterior Grab Handle
Dr4Film

ncsteve

When you say out of stock, was that in the whole Napa system or just that store?  If they do have one in the system, I would call the closest  to your next stop and order to be there when you arrive.  Normally the can get them in a day or two.  

as for running water, I would think it would be ok for a short time to get by. Them a good flush and fill once repaired. 
I may add a water pump to my spare parts list. I am sure it is just a matter of time before I will have to change one.

slides don't work
Brett63

Got up this am and none of my hydraulic slides will come in, any thouhts? 

09 Sig

klcdenver

Ken,

You should sign up on Cummins Quick Serve, it is free. You will need your engine serial number when you register. From it you can get part numbers and schematics etc... Good luck.

Kenneth

drip rail
pulsarjab

image.png.6068d061aaf39f56c0718baf613faa07.png

slides don't work
Corkman

There’s a lock out if the engine is running or key is turned on. I think there may also be a lock out if one of the lower compartment doors is open that could hit the slide

6Wheels

I am looking for a coach with steel frame, active steering, IFS, active air suspension, stainless steel countertops and backsplash, induction cooktop, convection microwave, dishwasher, residential 3-door refrigerator, 15k A/C w/heat pump (3), freezer in the basement, stacked washer-dryer, vinyl plank flooring throughout, seamless slides, dual-pane windows, generator of course, and run flat tires.

All this for under $300k!  I'll buy it.

slides don't work
Brett63

nope, not it. Everything is dead on the hwh side for slides and gen slide out.

Cubflyer

Thanks for the replies,

NAPA part search was while in Rawlings, they said Laramie had one, not sure the search extended beyond that.  NAPA in Laramie, where I'm at, is closed today but stores in Colorado open at 9 today and I will be calling them.... and even if they do not have it on their shelf, maybe they can get one soonest.

I will sign up for the Cummins Quick Serve.... but I have to find my s/n.

As for continuing running with filling water every 20 miles, we are re-evaluating that idea... may get a rental car and chase the part with that and just hit the only campground in town for a few days.... they were booked up for last night so we spent the night in a truck parking lot.

Ken

RustyTools

Someone commented to me one time that "You must be pretty rich to be able to afford such a fancy motorhome like that".  My response is that I've found you can only be one or the other, not both.  😁

wayne.cerven@gmail.com

Morning 

it is a tough call to make, if it was ME I would have stayed close to the first Napa I came to, try to find a camp site and or stay in a parking lot close by where I could have access to LOTS of parts/tools.

I just returned from the east coast (Canada) in my 2010 Dodge 6,7 L pulling my 5000lb boat, got up in the morning and same thing (water pump) called the Dealership  and they took it in, Napa had the pump there in a few hours, it was not even worth the stress or getting my hands dirty for $ 550.00 for water pump,new belt and labor. I am doing a turn around and back to the east coast at the end of the month,this time with the coach pulling my 2010 Dodge Crew cab Cummins Diesel,  fingers crossed that we have no issues , if I do I am going to make a cup of coffee and make a plan, find a Cummins dealership /shop and limp it in.

I am very hesitant to drive any distance with a failing water pump.

Just being Wayne

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

Entry Door Grab Bar
HarleyR

What appears to you as fiber optic tubes are actually reflecting tubes that glow nicely when an LED bulb is shone into either end. That's how my grab handles are illuminated. 

Entry Door Grab Bar
Ivylog

Our 04 Dynasty had a bulb in the bottom… take the bottom mount off and see what you have.

6Wheels

Heard from kids at the playground: "That guy must be rich", watching a 30 foot Class A go by.

Reply from parent sitting on the bench:  "Used to be".

slides don't work
Corkman

I wouldn’t rule it out too quickly. Those buttons by the side compartments doors can get stuck sometimes and if they’re stuck in or something is wrong with them it will give you this kind of a problem I would check all those buttons

Ivylog

Running straight water to get to Denver will not hurt anything. I would leave the the cap off so hopefully, you loose less water.

slides don't work
Patrick

Side compartment buttons did that to me the other day. Slide on the one side would not come in. Hit the button and nothing happened. 

Cubflyer

It is leaking profusely with no cap and even with the engine off.... decided to park it here in Laramie until fixed.  I'll be doing a lot of walking unless I find a rent-a-car..

Wayne,

Note to self... do not breakdown in Rawlings, WY .... very limited resources.

I hope things work out as good as that for me.

Entry Door Grab Bar
tmw188

So then was it a option for a lighted bar? My grab handle for the rear engine access has the same machining in it, so that leads me to think it’s not really there for a light but sure works well for it?

2005 Signature passenger front HWH X-Slide chain replacement
Hypoxia

What caused the chain failure?  I'm getting some creaking with both slides with X Slides.  I figure they need lube although HWH manual says no need for lubrication.

klcdenver

Laramie has on O'Reilly auto parts that should be open. 307-721-3030. Laramie FBO #307-742-4165 they show courtesy cars, maybe they would rent or let you use one.

Kenneth

wayne.cerven@gmail.com
31 minutes ago, Cubflyer said:

It is leaking profusely with no cap and even with the engine off.... decided to park it here in Laramie until fixed.  I'll be doing a lot of walking unless I find a rent-a-car..

Wayne,

Note to self... do not breakdown in Rawlings, WY .... very limited resources.

I hope things work out as good as that for me.

Thanks, good luck, it always works out.

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

Entry Door Grab Bar
FishAR
32 minutes ago, tmw188 said:

So then was it a option for a lighted bar? My grab handle for the rear engine access has the same machining in it, so that leads me to think it’s not really there for a light but sure works well for it?

My door handle lights up, never paid attention to the grab bar for the rear engine access. 

Cubflyer

Kenneth,

I've tried O'Reilly's and no joy... great idea on the airport car, I had not thought of that... sometimes it pays to be a pilot..!

Ken

slides don't work
Brett63

I have a readout if any of the bays or the gen or the steps are open or out. all are closed and working properly. 

Rikadoo

Mornin everybody, so earlier this summer one of the cooling system repairs was to replace my original water pump, i had used my “esn” to order the pump thru a truck shop. The one i recieved was so different looking i took it back to have them verify or to “recheck” there part, in case it was boxed wrong cause its such a pita to assemble. They came back an told me the original design had been updated soooo many times since the original was released, so i installed it and HUH! It was the right one. In the pictures the one on the right is the original, and i ordered mine thru a HD truck shop. Cause the amount of issues i had trying to get the correct tensioner thru napa was such a disaster, which i eventually quit them, cause they were getting pissy with me due to there special orders were all wrong.42072370-1791-4762-A65D-E1B9CCB3C2C5.thumb.jpeg.7ba07ab955b5a776a4b24582443ee793.jpeg2B3828C2-38ED-4A4C-90FE-ED79845651E8.thumb.jpeg.8d8e68805b5ecedf362a363091ef58d2.jpeg849D4A8B-979C-44E6-BF85-9DF356844886.thumb.jpeg.88027ab92124c777da142efaa6a82cf7.jpeg

Rikadoo

By the way the damage from running water in place of coolant has already begun, hot engine vs dropping level of water, plus the cavitation = rust on the cylinder walls and erosion on all the wrong gaskets. With Ford diesel engines when ever a customer brought there truck in for repair an they had used water we had special chemicles we had to use to stop the rusting / flaking process that had already begun. After you replace your WP, remember to replace your coolant filter and to use a quality cummins approved coolant “100k” in fact i would  recommend Running the concentration over the 50/50% just cause you have a straight water concentration thru out the system right now. One more thing is the thermostat, if its original, its not that much more work and it would be a shame to have to loose the coolant you just put one in. I understand all this “emergency” type of repair is alot when your just wanting to get back on the road, however these are not the engines we have in the family  grocery Getters, and there  longevity Dictates a certain process.66A3E909-5929-4313-BD61-15E8C5DE23DB.thumb.jpeg.0306061ae8a2cd5ad350de50e8734381.jpegA30338CE-3E2F-40E7-B282-52BD1EF635F4.thumb.jpeg.a86c08315b5bbb6fe1ab1db5016a2e19.jpeg

Exterior Grab Handle
miacasa_2000

Do the ends of the grab handle come off the tube? I thought they would pop off mine are very tight and I don't want to break them.

I also remember reading here about replacing them or re chroming  them. I did a search but couldn't find the discussion. At the very least I'm going to sand the down and paint them for a temporary fix wife cut her finger the other day on the peeling chrome.

door grab handle.jpg

Cubflyer

Rik,

Great info and photos.  Any chance you have the part number handy of the "new" style pump you installed? (you have the same year and model coach I have, and your old pump looks just like mine)

Thanks,

Ken

Slide topper and awning
big_rig_bobby

New Brown Spice Sunbrella  topper for the slide with awning, it was made for a 1998 Monaco Diplomate  $200.00 + shipping 

Bulb replacement
Donflem

I have 2 lights above my stove that don’t work so I was wondering if anyone could tell me if I can change a bulb or do I need to replace the Unit? 2007 Dynasty. Thanks in advance. Don

BFF5651A-15AB-47EB-A262-47972EF3C569.jpeg

7D34D308-F96E-42FB-98C9-615194357645.jpeg

7D794EDC-F481-4F67-8B75-4DEF24A47445.jpeg

Mel S - '96 Safari
2 hours ago, 6Wheels said:

Heard from kids at the playground: "That guy must be rich", watching a 30 foot Class A go by.

Reply from parent sitting on the bench:  "Used to be".

Heard from a kid in the multi family campsite in a Michigan campground: "Look the rich lady is sweeping off the picnic table".

Reply from many adults: "SHUSH".

Entry Door Grab Bar
brokenarrow1244

Mine lights up when I turn on the step and entry light switch, guess they suspect it only needs to be on in the dark. Had to replace it due to a crack. Replacement is not always an exact fit . do not like drilling any new holes. My light is in the top be sure to seal it. It is wired to the entry lamp wiring./ simple job. Mine reads MONACO.

David Pratt
3 hours ago, 6Wheels said:

I am looking for a coach with steel frame, active steering, IFS, active air suspension, stainless steel countertops and backsplash, induction cooktop, convection microwave, dishwasher, residential 3-door refrigerator, 15k A/C w/heat pump (3), freezer in the basement, stacked washer-dryer, vinyl plank flooring throughout, seamless slides, dual-pane windows, generator of course, and run flat tires.

All this for under $300k!  I'll buy it.

GOOD LUCK ON YOU SEARCH!!!!

Exterior Grab Handle
Dr4Film

Our forum owner, David Pratt, does re-chroming at his Melbourne shop. You would have to check to see what the current price is for re-chroming the ends. Sometimes the cost of re-chroming is close to the cost of purchasing a brand new handle from Veurink's RV.

https://shop.findmyrvparts.com/monaco-rv-lighted-grab-handle-chrome-ends-08409478-p/190215.htm

My handle is basically in the same poor shape. I keep peeling the flakes off so we won't cut ourselves which has happened once. Someday I will have to decide what to do but unfortunately the coach spends half the year two blocks from the ocean in Florida so it is a constant battle against chrome corrosion.

Slide topper and awning
Timaz996

So where did you order it? Pictures?

Transfer switch
David Pratt

you need to identify what Model Transfer Switch your coach has.

slides don't work
Frank McElroy

I talked with Brett this morning and thought I would post what happened and to provide additional information about how HWH slides work when you have a house multiplex system with a programmable CPU module like what Brett and I have in our coaches.

Brett was able to verify that power was going to the hydraulic pump relay but it was not engaging.  So, he jumped across the relay to operate the pump and pull in the slides.

The house multiplex Intellitec CPU program controls the slide operation.  On his coach and others with an Intellitec PMC CPU module typically do not have bin door interlocks.  The slides on these coaches usually can be operated with the doors open or closed.  The slides can also be closed with the engine running.  I've actually used that feature when I had a slide starting to creep out and pulled it back in while driving down the road.

The only interlock is that the slide out buttons won't work if the engine ignition is turned on.

The above info typically applies to Dynasty and above models with a house multiplex Intellitec programmable PMC CPU module.

2005 Signature passenger front HWH X-Slide chain replacement
pwhittle

Rollers break off the chain, then the rivets wear and can break. The rollers that break are near the top, so easy to see.

I’ll post some pics when we get home.

Paul

Exhaust Overheating Code (1966)
dl_racing427

I've found over the years that the WORST thing you can do to an engine, gas or diesel, is to baby it.
Now I don't mean beating on it continuously, but they need high speeds and heavy loads to minimize deposits and prevent cylinder glazing and poor ring seal.

My daily beater is a 2004 Ford Focus, with the 2.3 Duratec engine.
It has almost 310,000 miles, and oil consumption is still not noticeable on the dipstick in a 10,000 mile change interval.

My typical highway cruise is 80-90mph.  It sees full throttle and 5,000+RPM at least once or twice every day, and sometimes much more.
The engine itself has never had anything beyond a cam cover gasket replaced.
I'm actually curious now just how long it will keep going. LOL

Bulb replacement
Gary M

Have u tried their website?

https://www.itc-rv.com/

Rikadoo

Hey Ken, so it appears i have the info in my files in the coach, im heading there shortly an will read you the PN off my invoice. In the mean time i went to the cummins part catalog its saying for my ESN (46279317) the pn is a 3286293 which reading the supersession list is the Original that was installed, which has been superseded over 5 times to what is being shown is now a 3804927

So like i said i will go get whats writtin on my invoice.

Bulb replacement
Frank Bergamo

Pry the brass ring away the the chrome ring. Hope this helps.

Exterior Grab Handle
Chuck B

Check pages 101 and 102 of the parts list.  There are several choices for vendors.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Parts
Chuck B

It would do everyone a great service if they would download the parts list on the group site.  One will find just about all parts they might need to make repairs to their coach.

Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Exterior Grab Handle
Warren B

Looks just like the handle on my 05 Camelot.  Ordered a replacement from Veurinks RV, part # 08409478, and a year ago it was $107.29.

Gary 05 AMB DST
3 hours ago, Rikadoo said:

Mornin everybody, so earlier this summer one of the cooling system repairs was to replace my original water pump, i had used my “esn” to order the pump thru a truck shop. The one i recieved was so different looking i took it back to have them verify or to “recheck” there part, in case it was boxed wrong cause its such a pita to assemble. They came back an told me the original design had been updated soooo many times since the original was released, so i installed it and HUH! It was the right one. In the pictures the one on the right is the original, and i ordered mine thru a HD truck shop. Cause the amount of issues i had trying to get the correct tensioner thru napa was such a disaster, which i eventually quit them, cause they were getting pissy with me due to there special orders were all wrong.42072370-1791-4762-A65D-E1B9CCB3C2C5.thumb.jpeg.7ba07ab955b5a776a4b24582443ee793.jpeg2B3828C2-38ED-4A4C-90FE-ED79845651E8.thumb.jpeg.8d8e68805b5ecedf362a363091ef58d2.jpeg849D4A8B-979C-44E6-BF85-9DF356844886.thumb.jpeg.88027ab92124c777da142efaa6a82cf7.jpeg

Rik W, Tell me about pulling the radiator. Was it a time consuming project?

Gary 05 AMB DST

Bulb replacement
Ivylog

The inner silver ring pries off.

klcdenver

Ken,

I think if you drop your exhaust system from after the turbo you probably can get to it with out removing radiator. At least I can on my 400ISL. It should only be 3 clamps and it should drop all in one piece.

Cubflyer

Kenneth, and others,

We are at a Loves here in Laramie, they found a pump at Freightliner (thanks to Rik's post and photos).  They are scheduling me into the shop in the morning.  I do not believe the radiator/intercooler/other radiators need to come out to get to the pump, but I'm not going to be doing the work..... I did not bring enough tools to be sure I would not come up one wrench or pry bar short.

I believe working thru the closet manhole, that the wire shroud can come loose (maybe a couple of bolts from underneath), rotate out of the way and then get to the tensioner, once the belt is off, remove the tensioner, get to the bolts on the water pump and R&R.  But, again that's my guess, and how I would try first before 'digging' my way in from the back.....

Exterior Grab Handle
Dr4Film
1 hour ago, Warren B said:

Looks just like the handle on my 05 Camelot.  Ordered a replacement from Veurinks RV, part # 08409478, and a year ago it was $107.29.

You must have purchased the Plain Jane handle with out the Monaco Labeling on the lighted part.

https://shop.findmyrvparts.com/monaco-rv-lighted-grab-handle-p/190364.htm

2008 HR Neptune headlights
Wineberry

I am probably going to replace my headlight assemblies on my 2008 HR Neptune due to a cracked lens.  About 10 years ago a factory tech told me that they are the same as used on a particular make and model automobile/truck from 2007-2008.  Unfortunately I can't remember the auto/truck he referenced.  Anyone have an idea? I know that there is probably some DOT id number stamped somewhere on the assembly but no luck finding without pulling out he assembly I think. Thanks. Joe

2008 HR Neptune headlights
Gary M

The DOT is right on the lens. No need to take it out. My 09 are from a Dodge Ram pickup 

https://www.headlightsdepot.com/search/2008/holiday-rambler/neptune

Cubflyer

Here is what a bad water pump leak can look like...

Engine off, not hot, no cap on system

drip rail
JDCrow
9 hours ago, pulsarjab said:

image.png.6068d061aaf39f56c0718baf613faa07.png

Ok I was going to go that route and went a different route with Talin plates and new slide toppers that went beyond tue sides of the slides. I was going to use some rubber seal to accomplish that. You have some tape on the slide (black) has it leaked? 

Exterior Grab Handle
Warren B

No, it looks exactly like the one shown.  Looks like they changed the part number to 190215, and they hiked the price to $150.

https://shop.findmyrvparts.com/monaco-rv-lighted-grab-handle-chrome-ends-08409478-p/190215.htm

Entry door
Steve P
On 8/31/2021 at 8:05 AM, dleeadkins said:

Here is the adjustment I made highlighted in yellow. It shortens the length of pull and removes “slack “ in the outside door handle.

4BDA51B0-E2FE-4131-985A-B4375563F88E.jpeg

Door Bushing Replacement & Latch Adjustment.pdf 985.13 kB · 39 downloads

@dleeadkins Donald -  Thank you for taking the time to post this incredibly insightful diagram and description. I took the panel off to see what kind of shape the brass bushing in my door latch assembly was in, and to my surprise it was missing completely. It is probably at the bottom of the door cavity someplace, but I haven't gone so far as to open everything up.   I almost fooled myself into believing that that the lock mechanism had been redesigned and no bushing was required anymore, until I measured the post and it was just slightly over a quarter of an inch in diameter (the inside diameter of the missing bushing). I'm off to home depot tonight or tomorrow to find the bushing. If that fails I'm sure a machine shop somewhere in my area can make one.. Most of the bushings I found online are bronze, which is I guess what is applicable in this case?

20210905_183734.jpg

Entry door
dleeadkins

Yes. That bushing obviously plays an important role in this. I did check mine when I started this ongoing repair saga and mine was in good shape. I’m glad you were able to pinpoint this problem. Now you know several things about your door mechanism!

safe travels

Air Conditioner /thermostat
Ray Davis

Speaking of 4 & 5 button thermostats here is an interesting thread.

https://forums.goodsamclub.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27349375.cfm

Rikadoo

So Ken i went out to my mh an took the number of my reciept, it was pn 5579024 which i purchased from Fleetpride. Hope all this helps, please let me know how it works out. Good luck a remember the water filter👍

53ADF702-318F-4121-924D-8E4F87D77C78.png

Rikadoo

Yeah the radiator was not fun doing out in the sun, 100 degree days i started out just doing the radiator. However i figured while i was already there… t stat, w.pump, fan blades, rebuilt the alternator, new hoses, belt an tensioner then mounted two valves going toward the heater core so when that day comes around i can just turn off both an cut the water going to the heater. Its not that it was overly dificult, however there were many pieces that had to come off 1st, then go back on in the same order. The most difficult part was the new radiator was just enough different that “modifications” had to be made to the shroud in order for it to fit. The radiator was heavy enough that it took two guys to lift it in an out, it is soooo nice now when pulling a grade an the the temperature gauge shows so much cooler. If i had to get to the water pump i would remove the wire screen, then the tensioner then the water pump, not easy but theres not many options otherwise.

7F2003B3-963C-4886-9ED5-9D10292FBD56.jpeg

1EB955D2-A32C-40BC-B7D5-C2C19406FB28.jpeg

Odd Vorad question
vito.a

I'm surprised.  The generator should start from the chassis (engine start) batteries.  The theory is when camping you are using the house batteries until they get low.  Then you still have the chassis battery to start the generator or main engine. 

I also agree.  With these big coaches and the 12.5k (or 10k) generator you can depress the Boost switch when cranking the generator.  

I've had the generator cause a Vorad fault several times, especially if it is very hot outside.  You can depress Cruise on/off and Set (both buttons simultaneously) on the smart wheel three times and the cruise will start working.  

Even though I don't care for the Kongsburg multiplex, I still envy you having a 2009 Signature.  It is the last of the big Monaco's.  Maybe you just need to learn Norwegian!

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.