Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/538-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

8.3 ISC water pump failure
Ivylog
wayne.cerven@gmail.com
drip rail
pulsarjab
model question
Hypoxia
Engine still heating up
Woody O
Rikadoo
jacwjames
Cubflyer
Ignition solenoid testing
miacasa_2000
2008 HR Neptune headlights
Wineberry
Engine still heating up
Fonman
Under-Awning LED Lighting 2006 Diplomat
Scotty Hutto
Cummins Quick Service
Gary 05 AMB DST
Engine still heating up
jacwjames
Cummins Quick Service
Wrayj1
Gary M
Engine still heating up
top flight
Entry door
Bob Jones
First Plumbing Leak
FishAR
Roof Cleaning
bobstromain
Roof Cleaning
Jim Bob
RV Service in Lubbock
pbustamante41
RV Service in Lubbock
Barry W
RV Service in Lubbock
Dr4Film
Engine still heating up
Woody O
RV Service in Lubbock
wpools
Front A/C-heat pump not blowing cold or hot
Gary 05 AMB DST
Slobber Tube or Not?
tmw188
Slobber Tube or Not?
JDCrow
Slobber Tube or Not?
tmw188
Cummins Quick Service
woodylmiller
Slobber Tube or Not?
jacwjames

Ivylog
6 hours ago, Cubflyer said:

unlimited towing to a shop 'capable and willing' to do the repair, that may compare to your suggested Coach-Net, but I'm a stubborn, independent old mechanic, and unless I'm dead-in-the-water, I did not think about using that service.... probably should have...

Ken, guess I’m in your camp… stubborn, independent, and old having never used road service. I have my doubts on a holiday weekend, a large enough tow truck would show up in an hour; capable of towing my rig, after removing the driveshaft (or axles) without damaging something and would happen smoothly.

I probably would have run a hose from the outside faucet to the overflow tank and driven non stop to Denver.

wayne.cerven@gmail.com
7 hours ago, Cubflyer said:

The Laramie, WY,  Love's shop mechanic (Cody) did a great job of the new pump installation, all thru the closet 'hell hole'.  A new belt and about 5 gallons of anti-freeze completed the job.   We were on the road to Denver by 11am.  Ran great, steady water temp under 200 degrees (about 180) even on the steepest grades.  I'm pleased to be back to normal ops.

Things I would have done differently...??  Given the age and past usage of the coach, replacing the pump when I was doing the PM service and filter changes would have been prudent.  Having a pump on hand would have made this a minor inconvenience and saved me at least $150 just on the cost of the pump, between "opportunity costs" (buying it retail at 'spot' price), plus the fee charged to go pick the part up (.75/mile).  A $700+ invoice had only 1 hr of labor on it.. at @$120/hr.

Richard, I have Good Sam road service that offers unlimited towing to a shop 'capable and willing' to do the repair, that may compare to your suggested Coach-Net, but I'm a stubborn, independent old mechanic, and unless I'm dead-in-the-water, I did not think about using that service.... probably should have.....

Morning 

Nothing wrong with that cost! I will take that all day long,five gallons of 50/50 antifreeze,belt ,water pump and labor ,good deal! My 2014 Ram gas water pump at 185 000 km - $ 3 hours labor,pump,belt antifreeze $ 650.00, 2010 dodge Ram 6.7 l diesel,  same parts just under $ 600.00, book says both vehicles 3 hours min. Labor plus parts. Changing out a water Pump as pre maintenance you cannot beat yourself up for that one, never heard of it, when it's time it's time unless you are doing a overhaul Rad/ valve's which I am going to have to get set , just over 100,000 mile now., cody had to spend time running the engine as well,getting all the air out so not a bad day I would say.

Glad to hear you back on the road

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

Making Fixed Basement Side panels Open and latch closed
RustyTools

I had used that latch idea and added a door on the 'other side' of the holding tank door on my Endeavor. It worked great, and opened up plenty of additional room.

After many hours crawling around under my Camelot to work on the ride-height valves and tubing, I've been thinking about opening those wheel well doors too.  So I'm watching with great interest! 

CjnCook

Hey Scotty,

Copying your installation of the LED lights on my 2008 Diplomat. Got everything installed, drilled the hole next to the strip to run the cable, but running into a snag getting it down into the cabinet. I can run a hard wire into the outside hole, but can't locate it when looking into the space above the slide out ceiling. There seems to be a double "wall" where I might need to make two penetrations. Can you give some insight into how you were able to snake the cable through? And I am assuming you cut and spliced one of the cable?

drip rail
pulsarjab

I have ordered the drip rail from Amazon. Thanks for all the help.

model question
Hypoxia

There is a DOT number on the lower corner of the glass, mine is on the drivers side.  That is what is needed.  Mine was replaced with a Coach Glass windshield DOT 623 AS1 M60

Engine still heating up
Woody O

Engine getting hot, so I unplugged the fan controller while in Grand Junction. Fan did get louder but not very loud. Ran from there to Monument Valley and everything was great as far as the engine, so thought I had monetary fixed my problem. Left there and ran that 2+ hr. grade to Bryce Canyon and running 50 instead of 65 and dropping down to first gear several times and stopping to cool down. Changed thermostat on way out here and unplugged the fan controller. Not sure if steering wheel is turning any harder. Power of suggestion, I think it is turning just a little harder to steer. So, is it the fan or is it the pump or it something else? Heading to Moab next and then to Grand Canyon where it is triple digit temperature. Hoping to contact a certain mechanic in Moab.

Rikadoo

Hey Ken glad to hear your back on the road, nothin say f**ked up weekend like being broke down on the corner of walk and dont walk.  Plus it sounds like the repair left your dignity still in tact.

I cant imagine changing that pump from up top… did he at least remove the closet doors? Seemed my biggest challange when doing my work up top was getting turned around in the right direction between the closet door an the raised bed stand. Did you end up getting a Cummins part or aftermarket? Was yours the same pump like mine? Ya really cant grouse to bad concidering the age of the part if it was original, im always amazed how well the Cummins engine perform givin the load they pull and not being a “daily driver” i haved worked on gasser MH’s that dont have that kind of longevity, anyway welcome back to the heartbeat of the hiway and dodging all the crazies👍

jacwjames

Price seems reasonable, especially the labor side of it. 

Back in 2015 I had road debris take out my radiator.  Heard alarms going off and we pulled into a Cracker Barrel.  Walked around the coach and coolant was pouring out.  Crawled underneath and a fast glance I saw there were multiple holes on the inside of the of the radiator.  Something much have got kicked up and the fan must have bounced it in several time.  Took me forever to get a tow arranged.  I was at the back of the parking lot, a bad mistake on my part, should have parked where I would have been accessible.  First company refused to even try.  Second driver said I had to pull out to an open parking lot below so he could hook up.  There was no coolant in the engine at all so I ran a flexible hose off the outside faucet back to the surge tank and ran water until it was coming out the top of the surge tank, and it was pouring out the bottom of radiator.  Started the coach and moved as quickly as I could through the parking lot and down the road ~1/4 mile to an open area.  Luckily no damage done to engine.  Had it towed to Crosspoint Cummins in Knoxville.  I actually filed an insurance claim that was accepted so the +$6K bill was mostly covered. 

While the radiator was out I had the CAC checked and it was leaking bad so I had it repaired.  Also had Cummins install a new water pump and thermostat while everything was apart.  Seemed like the smart thing to do. 

Cubflyer

Dick, Wayne, Rik,

Thanks for the good wishes!, You all were great support.

My run from Rawlings to Laramie was almost 'hose to tank'!...not sure I would have made it over the mountain between Laramie and Cheyenne!  

My only problem with the end price was only because I literally never take my cars, (or much of anything) to a shop.  I'm a hands on mech, parts and my labor are all I have paid for years... as an older, less agile, person I'm picking my battles these days.  I did appreciate Cody's efforts with a sizable cash tip..... something I rarely got turning wrenches.... but know how much they are appreciated.

I cleared the closet, opened the hatch, covered the bed, did not throw a moving blanket over the floor and into the closet but should have, and will if I ever have to work back there.  He seemed to have had no problem getting it done from there, I thought he knocked it out pretty fast.   Yes, the pump kit was the same one you used... It appears to me to be more robust, and for sure a totally different shape/design.

Happy to be back 'free to run' again!

Ken

Jim,

I used the same technique (hose from faucet to tank) to keep enough water in the system, just not a continuous hook up... to get to the shop in Laramie.

Ignition solenoid testing
miacasa_2000

You also have (2) 20 amp fuses in where 10 amp is called for. Also a 5 amp for 3 amp though that is no big deal the 20 amp could be too much for the wire size or what it's protecting.

Roy 2003 Dynasty

Wineberry

Thank you.  I'll check the lens again.

Engine still heating up
Fonman

How hot is “too hot” and are you really really sure the radiator is clean?

Some of these coaches have 3 and 4 layers ( rad, charge air cooler, ac condensor, fuel and hydraulic coolers etc) so the rad might look clean…

Scotty Hutto

Yes, that was probably the most difficult part. I ended up using a coat hanger and having to bend it with a lot of trial and error. There was about a 2-3” offset from the hole in the outside to the hole on the inside, and I had a rough time connecting

yes, I had to cut the cable and splice it  I used the small heat-shrink/solder connectors, but the crimp-style connectors for phone cable that you can get from Home Depot would work just as well  

Cummins Quick Service
Gary 05 AMB DST

Tried to register to join and kept being rejected. It shows a page to buy access to info.

Gary 05 AMB DST

Engine still heating up
jacwjames

How are you measuring the temps, some sort of display or the gauges. 

What temps are you seeing?   

On mine the temp will climb to 185, that is when the fan starts to kick in.  On hot days or climbing grades it will increase to ~199 (that's when the fan is running WAO) or slightly higher but eventually start coming back down once over the grade.  Some of this is due to the transmission since that cooler is adjacent to the radiator.  On hard pulls my transmission temp will surpass the engine temp, even if I do drop down a gear trying to keep temps down.  Eventually both temps will drop.  On my last trip the highest temp I saw was on the transmission at 208F, for a short period. 

You should easily be able to check how clean the radiator is.  Put a flash light on one side and then loot at the other.  You try cleaning it, spray water from the inside then out several times.  If there is not any accumulation of oil it will wash dirt out.  If oil is present you may have to use a cleaner.

Cummins Quick Service
Wrayj1

Gary, give them a call. I get frustrated with trying to do things online when they have a problem with their website.  Telling them your experience might get the issue resolved.

Gary M
1 hour ago, Wineberry said:

Thank you.  I'll check the lens again.

The link to headlights depot allows you to put in you coach, model and year which then pulls up you headlights.

Engine still heating up
top flight

Had a similar thing happen to my engine.  The radiator was plugged with dirt and oil.  Used Dove dish washer detergent and hot water in a weed sprayer (new/clean) and rinsed with garden hose.  Took 2 or 3 tries to get it clean.  Did the trick.  Put a plastic bottle over the oil blubber pipe (Utube video shows how).  Still got oil on Rad.  Truck shop found exhaust manifold and pipes leaking.  Replaced whole exhaust system and sensors etc. (approx $9,000) and it seems to have done the trick.

Entry door
Bob Jones

As others have said, the door needs to float. Because I'm parked long-term I run the unit once a month along with the genset until both reach operating temperature. When I do that, the air suspension raises the unit off the jacks. I have noticed, every time, that the door realigns itself. It goes from being difficult to smooth each time. 

My observations tend to prove that it needs to float and that the door re-aligns itself to the proper position. I use the door getting sticky as a sign that it's time to run the unit. Now before everyone states that you should never idle the unit, on mine you can raise the idle fairly high and this allows it to get to operating temperature. It is always better to take the unit out for a drive to work the transmission, brakes, tires etc. 

My Next New Motor Coach AFTER I Win the Lottery!
Bob Jones

Every time I see some nice new unit that costs $$ I ask myself what it would cost me to completely redo the interior of my 2000 Diplomat. I bet I would be hard pressed to spend $10k to completely redo it soup to nuts with nothing but high-end stuff. To me, if the layout works and I'm happy with the chassis then it's just a matter of making it the way you want. I'm thinking gorgeous heated tile floor, new couch etc. The small square footage, to me, means you could buy some pretty extravagant stuff. Gold fixtures? All new lights? 

I recently got my Dad a new Coachmen Pursuit (29 foot gasser). We then put residential solar on it, vent covers, tracking sat system and things like that. In short, we twiddled it up to get it to what he wanted. This made it very economical (in the grand scheme of things) and it's now just about perfect. I've seen some threads from people that did remarkable work on redoing their interiors. On mine, the frame and ride are incredible. The drivetrain seems to be million-mile quality. So if the box and the chassis works then to me it's just the interior. 

birdshill123

Bob. Sorry to burst your Balloon.  I am sure your Dad is happy with that unit. However it is not a million mile chassis. Even many of the entry level DP's are not million mile vehicles. Today's rv's are not up to the standards of even units from 10 years ago. Your Diplomat  has a build quality  that is rare  in newer DP's. 

Bob Jones

Sorry, I should have been more clear, when I was referring to the million mile chassis it was my old DP not Dad's new gasser 🙂 

JDCrow
32 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

Every time I see some nice new unit that costs $$ I ask myself what it would cost me to completely redo the interior of my 2000 Diplomat. I bet I would be hard pressed to spend $10k to completely redo it soup to nuts with nothing but high-end stuff. To me, if the layout works and I'm happy with the chassis then it's just a matter of making it the way you want. I'm thinking gorgeous heated tile floor, new couch etc. The small square footage, to me, means you could buy some pretty extravagant stuff. Gold fixtures? All new lights? 

I recently got my Dad a new Coachmen Pursuit (29 foot gasser). We then put residential solar on it, vent covers, tracking sat system and things like that. In short, we twiddled it up to get it to what he wanted. This made it very economical (in the grand scheme of things) and it's now just about perfect. I've seen some threads from people that did remarkable work on redoing their interiors. On mine, the frame and ride are incredible. The drivetrain seems to be million-mile quality. So if the box and the chassis works then to me it's just the interior. 

Same thoughts here. We went through some used Seneca MH super C and I loved the chaissis, but the interior has so much not going for it. Just cheap and weak.

We have spent a little over $10K remodeling our little Dip. That includes all the suspension, inverter/battery, Headlights, infotainment etc. Love it. Rock solid engine/trans and drive train. To me the older coaches are just a better investmetn. 

First Plumbing Leak
FishAR

Went to flush the black tank today and water poured out. Ran and shut off the hose, waited for the sanicon to quit pumping and shut it off, then ran inside to look for water. No water on the floor in bathroom or anywhere above the water bay.

The only other place to look is behind the hydro hot furnace fan, so I pulled the louvered cover off. There it was. Pulled the drawer above it out to get a better look. I'm sure all of you know what I found.

Stupid backflow preventer leaking. And it's stuck back there where I can barely touch it. Actually tied to the back of the plywood under the drawer near the outside wall. Luckily it drained through the hole the pipes go through down into the water bay.

I have yet to own a travel trailer, fifth wheel or any rv that I have not had this leak. And they usually put the thing where you have a hard time accessing it. It's the dumbest thing ever.

I've replaced these before but on my last unit before this, the Montana 5th wheel, I think I got a little smarter and just plumbed around it. Cut the pipes and tied them together. Then I put a screw in backflow preventer valve where the hose to the tank flush goes. Then screw the hose into that when I use it. I'm glad I know this solution because I can't even touch this one, much less take it off.

So I've got a fan in there blowing in this compartment now to dry it out. The only question now is if I tie the pipes together in that compartment or go ahead and take the cover off the water bay and tie them together back there, getting them completely outside of the interior of the coach. I guess I'll decide that when I see how hard it is to get the water bay apart.

Anyway, thanks for giving me a place to rant...

birdshill123

One of the problems is there is not a lot of completion.when the huge conglomerates buy up some of the old names all the coaches become similar. Because the assembly lines require speed quality goes down hill. Construction methods are not designed for durability.  Just for fast assembly. Look at what happened to Entegra or Isata/ Dynamax.  Has Newmar and Winnie gone downhill? More and more an older high end unit is not only superior to today's junk they are less expensive.  However  Bob's $10,000 upgrade cost would only work if  the owner was handy and did all the work

Roof Cleaning
bobstromain

Our coach is stored under trees.  The front half of the roof gets black.  Any suggestions for a cleaner that won't run down the sides and cause streaks?

It's been this way for 17 years.  I was on the roof of a friends coach and it was snow white So I thought that maybe there is a magic product out there.

Bob St. Romain  04 Windsor

Roof Cleaning
Jim Bob

I think just magic elbow grease is what most people use.  I invested in a cover and it is a wonderful thing.

Replacement Discharge Hose for Sanicon Turbo
Ron Jones

Does anyone know of a source where I can get a replacement 21-foot discharge hose for my Sanicon Turbo? If so, please send me contact info (rej@gte.net) ASAP - Please!

Thetford is WAAAAAY behind and expensive ($100.00±). Plus, the quality of the Thetford hose is "iffy." They easily get pinholes and leak. Mine has always been covered by a "braided" cable cover and still developed that leak. It was NEVER even close to anything sharp that could puncture it.

I am open to cutting that hose and adding a union but can't find anything that fits.

Any help is appreciated.

Onan 12.5 Generator shuts down on engine start-up
Mike Wahl

I did some more checking and when I loaded tested the chassis batteries, one of the two batteries was getting weak.  I have changed both batteries and it has corrected the issue with the generator shutting down when starting.  I'm working on my replacement starter, because I have a high amp draw with the starter.   The one I had on order has been back-ordered with no estimated ship date.  Looking at other options.

Dr4Film

Ron,

I think Chris Throgmartin is a Sanicon distributor. Possibly he may be able to help you.

TOBYLB4

I got a new one on Amazon in April for $75.00. 

Cubflyer

Now that I'm in the camping mode and things always seem to run in threes....

My front A/C was not blowing cold today, and to check if is just not cooling of not heating or cooling I tried the heat pump..... No Joy on either heat or cool.

That leaves me with the idea either I have an inop compressor or nothing to compress.. (freon).

Of course, this is an old unit, has been working fine until today, but if it is freon or compressor, it is beyond economic repair (IMO)

So, any suggestions on fixing or replacing??

I will climb up on the roof tomorrow and pull the cover to take a look, maybe I can hear if the compressor is running or not...

Thanks,

Ken

Making Fixed Basement Side panels Open and latch closed
ok-rver

looked inside panels. There is lots of foam that was installed to make the compartment forward and behind water tight. Getting ready for a trip so working on other things.

Hypoxia

Compressors rarely fail.  Check the capacitors and PTCR.  Unless the capacitor is bulging or leaking a meter is necessary.  The PTCR usually stinks of burnt electrical when bad and frequently is physically disintegrated.  It is normally on the capacitor terminal.

RV Service in Lubbock
pbustamante41

I have friends that purchased a 2006 Monaco Executive in Mississippi last week and are traveling to Lubbock where it will be stored until late December. They are compiling a long laundry list of items that need to be done on the rig. Does anyone have recommendations of quality service centers in the area? Thanks

Hypoxia

They are crap and should be re-engineered.  I have blown two or three of them.  Not a pretty sight.  Thetford should be notified and they will honor a 12 month warranty.

Ivan K

If you can't tell whether the compressor kicks in while listening to it from inside or watching the current increase, put a hand on it while on the roof and you will know. Mine always turns the fan on first, then the reversing valve clicks (if in cooling mode), then the compressor starts. It does not have a low pressure switch so it should start regardless. If not, you likely have electrical issue, capacitor, board, wiring. Personally, I fix my units, refilled 2 of the units after fixing the leaks. One self-inflicted,  the other a pinhole in a sharp bend. For me, the cost is about $4 total, for the solder-in port.  I put the port on what would be considered the high side because that's what's convenient and charge it with R22 in heat mode. Most consider it not cost effective because they have to pay someone to do it, I don't. 

RV Service in Lubbock
Barry W

https://www.rvrepairshoplubbock.com/

Only know what I have read in reviews, but sound good.  Do know would not take anything to Camping World.

RV Service in Lubbock
Dr4Film

I would start here to find a reputable repair shop.

http://www.rvservicereviews.com/StateList.asp?state=TX

Engine still heating up
Woody O
8 hours ago, Fonman said:

How hot is “too hot” and are you really really sure the radiator is clean?

Some of these coaches have 3 and 4 layers ( rad, charge air cooler, ac condensor, fuel and hydraulic coolers etc) so the rad might look clean…

212-215, Kenworth Sales in Idaho Falls checked the radiator and it looked okay.

6 hours ago, jacwjames said:

How are you measuring the temps, some sort of display or the gauges. 

What temps are you seeing?   

On mine the temp will climb to 185, that is when the fan starts to kick in.  On hot days or climbing grades it will increase to ~199 (that's when the fan is running WAO) or slightly higher but eventually start coming back down once over the grade.  Some of this is due to the transmission since that cooler is adjacent to the radiator.  On hard pulls my transmission temp will surpass the engine temp, even if I do drop down a gear trying to keep temps down.  Eventually both temps will drop.  On my last trip the highest temp I saw was on the transmission at 208F, for a short period. 

You should easily be able to check how clean the radiator is.  Put a flash light on one side and then loot at the other.  You try cleaning it, spray water from the inside then out several times.  If there is not any accumulation of oil it will wash dirt out.  If oil is present you may have to use a cleaner.

Looking at the temps that the Aladdin is posting. I sprayed it and cleaned it before this trip. I'm stopping the coach and fast idealing at 212-215 degrees.

9 hours ago, Woody O said:

Engine getting hot, so I unplugged the fan controller while in Grand Junction. Fan did get louder but not very loud. Ran from there to Monument Valley and everything was great as far as the engine, so thought I had monetary fixed my problem. Left there and ran that 2+ hr. grade to Bryce Canyon and running 50 instead of 65 and dropping down to first gear several times and stopping to cool down. Changed thermostat on way out here and unplugged the fan controller. Not sure if steering wheel is turning any harder. Power of suggestion, I think it is turning just a little harder to steer. So, is it the fan or is it the pump or it something else? Heading to Moab , and then to Grand Canyon where it is triple digit temperature. Hoping to contact a certain mechanic in Moab.

This is a 2006  ISL-2  400hp Cummins

bpperk

Last April Fools day I sold My 2004 Signature to Camping World for a ridiculous high price and on the next day took delivery of A Foretravel iH-45.  Both tranactions in Nashville. The Sig was nice and in fair shape, but the iH-45 is a whole next level. So I have been enjoying reading this post. Keep it going! 

RV Service in Lubbock
wpools

RV Pros do a pretty good job.  Fair price. They are busy. Might have to wait. 

Gary 05 AMB DST

Ivan, My first thought on the high side port was concerning. Great improvising! 

Gary 05 AMB DST

Slobber Tube or Not?
tmw188

2002 8.3 ISC  This is a vent of some type. I haven’t traced it back to where it comes from. I spent the morning cleaning the under side of the motor and oil pan and anything else I could reach. Also found a ill fitting filler cap on top of the valve cover seeping oil. I saw somewhere here in recent months where someone strapped a water bottle to it. 

3B7D2ABE-8FD2-4E7B-8A93-43F96960D803.jpeg

Slobber Tube or Not?
JDCrow

Crankcase Vent tube. Some call it blow by tube. Modern diesels vent back into the intake much like a PCV valve on a gas engine 

I’m installing a catch can on mine (Same year engine as you). This will keep it from slobbering down and puking on everything. Look at the bottom of your fan shroud and radiator on the inside. You might find it pretty gummed up.

Here is the can I’ll be running. It has a sight glass and a drain. 

3A722779-C00D-4B1B-B106-B7BE45EFE200.jpeg

Slobber Tube or Not?
tmw188

Ok then what is the this vent? I assumed  one or both of them was crankcase ventilation. 

80B608F8-2B42-4B8F-A049-3CCFF6A448A4.jpeg

I have a side radiator looks clean and dry. 

Cummins Quick Service
woodylmiller

I had the same problem.  Cummins said to try Google Chrome.  I don't use Google Chrome, so I'll wait till they get their act together.

Woody Miller

Slobber Tube or Not?
jacwjames

I made a simple catch.  I took a bottle that fit over the tube, slide it up ~4-5" and then drilled a hole through the neck and tube and put a pin through it.  I then took it off and shove some steel wool down the bottom and drilled a couple extra vent holes around the top.  It catches most of the oil.  Cost was whatever the pin cost.  😀

Bob Jones
5 hours ago, JDCrow said:

Same thoughts here. We went through some used Seneca MH super C and I loved the chaissis, but the interior has so much not going for it. Just cheap and weak.

We have spent a little over $10K remodeling our little Dip. That includes all the suspension, inverter/battery, Headlights, infotainment etc. Love it. Rock solid engine/trans and drive train. To me the older coaches are just a better investmetn. 

Yours is identical to mine except mine 36. One day I'll probably do the interior but for now, it's stock. Most of my efforts have gone into infrastructure. Water, Internet, TV's etc. That and maintenance. The last thing I will do is the inside. 

Slobber Tube or Not?
tmw188
1 hour ago, jacwjames said:

I made a simple catch.  I took a bottle that fit over the tube, slide it up ~4-5" and then drilled a hole through the neck and tube and put a pin through it.  I then took it off and shove some steel wool down the bottom and drilled a couple extra vent holes around the top.  It catches most of the oil.  Cost was whatever the pin cost.  😀

Did I see that on another post? I was thinking something similar but without the steel wool. You have a picture of it?

Slobber Tube or Not?
tmw188
1 hour ago, JDCrow said:

Crankcase Vent tube. Some call it blow by tube. Modern diesels vent back into the intake much like a PCV valve on a gas engine 

I’m installing a catch can on mine (Same year engine as you). This will keep it from slobbering down and puking on everything. Look at the bottom of your fan shroud and radiator on the inside. You might find it pretty gummed up.

Here is the can I’ll be running. It has a sight glass and a drain. 

3A722779-C00D-4B1B-B106-B7BE45EFE200.jpeg

That’s quite a expensive looking solution? 

Exhaust Overheating Code (1966)
Frank McElroy

I've posted this information on other discussions but let me chime in with some information on the DPF system especially those in early 2008 model year coaches.

First, the only real way to sort out what is going on is to connect the engine ECM to the Cummins Insite software.  This will tell you when the latest software update was performed.  The early engine versions had lots of issues including inaccurate DPF temp calibrations that were resolved via software updates around 2009 - 2010.

Insite will also provide a DPF history report of the last ten regen cycles.  This will include time between regens, soot loadings via pressure and temp readings in all 3 sections of the DPF and tell you whether it was a normal or more severe soot load. 

If you drive at highway speeds you can expect to go about 100 hours between regen cycles.  If you are seeing regens say less that every 50 hours of engine run time, you are having the start of a problem that is generating soot and you need to fix that problem soon.  Don't wait for a check engine light to come on.  Could be the start of a bad injector, clogging EGR, sticking engine brake, sticking VGT turbo, or a failing air intake sensor.  When the problem gets bad enough, generally the first indication is a plugging DPF.  you may or may not see other engine codes.  But fixing the DPF generally is just a short term solution unless you also do all the diagnostics to be sure the engine isn't also generating soot.

The reason why there isn't a forced regen option on our coaches with fiberglass bodies is heat and lots of heat.  You need auxiliary fans to cool the DPF.  Also, a forced regen is only aimed at getting the coach drivable so you can get it up to highway speed to do a normal regen cycle and really burn up all the carbon so you get back to a normal 100 hours of engine run time between regen cycles.

Slobber Tube or Not?
Danny B.
31 minutes ago, tmw188 said:

Did I see that on another post? I was thinking something similar but without the steel wool. You have a picture of it?

Do you have pictures you can share?

Slobber Tube or Not?
JDCrow
15 minutes ago, tmw188 said:

That’s quite a expensive looking solution? 

$80 

Slobber Tube or Not?
Danny B.
1 minute ago, JDCrow said:

$80 

Where can we find this unit?

Gary Cole

I like improvising myself and the challenge that oftentimes comes with it.  It's a benefit which comes with the RV hobby. These are complicated machines and at times one wonders why they don't come with a maintenance man included when purchased. As to replacing a compressor those who don't have a vacuum pump can purge a small system with freon and argon from a mig welding tank can be used as an inert gas during the soldering process. Just guessing but I would imagine a new compressor could be had for $150.00 on ebay. The satisfaction derived  from doing it yourself is priceless. 

Slobber Tube or Not?
Timaz996

I just used a Powerade bottle. Punched a hole in it and a hole in the slobber tube and ran a healthy zip tie through both. I also have about half of the bottle filled with steel wool to keep anything from splashing and also vented the top. It works like a champ.

Gary Cole

Frank is 100% of engine horsepower available during a regen and how much time does a regen require. Does exhaust backpressure increase significantly during the cycle? 

Frank McElroy

To answer your question - it all depends on a number of factors. 

The engine ECM will decide how best to burn off the DPF soot and control running the engine to spray fuel into the exhaust to have a controlled soot burn but not so hot that it damages the DPF ceramic.  

If you are doing a regen with say a normal soot load say at the 100 hour mark, that means that there is minimal filter back pressure and you can still operate at full engine power - no derate - if you need to.  The time it takes to do a regen depend on the internal back pressures in the 3 section of the DPF.  If a normal soot load, operating at say 60-65 mph on the highway with the engine brake off, it should take about 30 minutes.  But if you have high soot load it could take an hour.  If you use the engine brake the regen is suspended.  If you get below about 35 MPH, the regen is also suspended. 

Also, when the dash light comes on, it is only telling you to drive under conditions to do a regen,  It doesn't mean that the regen is actually being performed.

Under certain driving conditions or if you have a check engine light with certain trouble codes, the ECM will suspend the regen operation.  Driving a DPF coach with a check engine light on is asking for trouble because you could very well plug up the DPF and then you will get an engine derate before a stop engine light.

The shortest time to do a regen would be by driving 60-65 MPH, no engine brake, and no full throttle hill climbs.  On my coach, I've seen regens last as little as 20 minutes on flat terrains or take 40 minutes in the mountains.  All my regens happen at 100 hour intervals.  Once a year I check the DPF regen history report using the Cummins Insite software just to be sure I don't have a problem brewing that would show up as shorter regen intervals or soot loading higher than normal.

96 EVO
11 minutes ago, Frank McElroy said:

The shortest time to do a regen would be by driving 60-65 MPH, no engine brake, and no full throttle hill climbs.   

Interesting!

I have always though a regen while on a 6- 8% climb would work best. 

RV Service in Lubbock
Rikadoo

Hey Richard, THAT is one heck of a list!!! Im amazed how thorough it is surrounding the state of Texas! Is that the only state you have in your Arsenal of information or do you have the rest of the US?

King to Air Throttle Conversion
Marty K

I am in need of some detail as to making the King Cruise conversion to air throttle plus the need for some older type

throttle position sensor. If at all possible pictures would be great. I can not find anyone that has any knowledge locally about this conversion. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Marty

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.