Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/540-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Modernizing my 2008 Safari Cheetah
McHughes
2002 Dip, first MH to cut our teeth on
Chargerman
Trailer Fuse Location
nocreek141
Trailer Fuse Location
Boondock1
Ok What is this?
Dr4Film
Time to Replace Norcold 1200?
Tom Wallis
RV Service in Lubbock
Chuck B
Exhaust Overheating Code (1966)
Frank McElroy
Dometic roof A/C: compressor, no fan
Jim McGarvie
Ok What is this?
tmw188
What Product do You Use?
tmw188
What Product do You Use?
Wrayj1
Ok What is this?
Dr4Film
Slobber Tube or Not?
tmw188
Ok What is this?
tmw188
Trailer Brake Controller Wiring
klcdenver
vito.a
klcdenver
What Product do You Use?
Chuck B
Chuck B
Slobber Tube or Not?
Timaz996
Roof Cleaning
Admirial RVr
Dr4Film
Roof Cleaning
jacwjames
Slobber Tube or Not?
JDCrow
Roof Cleaning
bobstromain
Roof Cleaning
jacwjames
klcdenver
Dr4Film
Gary 05 AMB DST
Serpentine belt
Gary 05 AMB DST
Serpentine belt
Rob connors
Serpentine belt
Admirial RVr
Serpentine belt
klcdenver
Serpentine belt
Gary 05 AMB DST
Roof Cleaning
Jim Bob
Roof Cleaning
6Wheels
Serpentine belt
JohnnyDiesel
Bathroom heat
ktloah
Bathroom heat
Ivylog

Modernizing my 2008 Safari Cheetah
McHughes

Added a WiFi Myspool "Power Failure Alert monitor".  Plugs into a city power/generator only outlet.  Used mostly dry camping to notify me by text or email that the generator was started by the AGS or, alternatively in a park, when park power goes out.

Works in conjunction with the wireless thermostat that notifies me when the internal temp matches the AGS high temp generator start setting.

Always worried when leaving the dog alone in the summer heat that AC power is on for the air conditioners.

myspool_power.jpg

veraken
13 hours ago, JDCrow said:

Finished up the headlights. Tackling the entry and the inverter/battery 

76CFBC8F-5060-4955-BC61-E87BF3E6193D.jpeg

BA100D8B-6231-4B39-A27B-7E880271CF45.jpeg

Looking good.  What headlights and turn signals did you purchase?  Where did you get them.

Chargerman

I guess sleep is an option for you 😂. Looking good!

Trailer Fuse Location
nocreek141

Help!! Pulled my boat on trip to do some fishing. While loading boat using the electric winch I popped the fuse that runs the winch. I have looked thru the schematics for the fuse location and I keep coming up empty. They call they line in the 7 pin trailer plug the Trailer charge pin. The schematics say it's a C.B. located in the Rear Run Cabinet. I can't find it. My coach is a '06 Cayman. Can anyone point me in the right direction for locating this little pain. I have checked in batt. compartment and searched the Run Compartment. Would love to use the boat again.

Jeff Crawford

Trailer Fuse Location
Boondock1

My 2002 Monaco knight has it in the battery compartment. In-line fuse at the back of the compartment.

Ok What is this?
Dr4Film
12 hours ago, tmw188 said:

Figured it was but seemed to be in a odd location. Maybe closer to the condenser is better?

Or maybe closer to the compressor is better?

Front A/C-heat pump not blowing cold or hot
Hypoxia

Rickadoo is right about needing gauges which will also require putting at least a low side saddle port.  Then to re-charge you need a vacuum pump and refrigerant, probably R22.  If your local auto parts store has loaner tools they may have those but I don't know if a small can of R22 is available.  Perhaps a local A/C repair guy would charge it.

Before I went down that path I would want to check the values of the capacitors with a meter and the PTCR.  If they are not within tolerance you will end up chasing your tail.

Rikadoo

Hey JD nice lookin set of mods, i really the the canister for what i belive is for the draft tube, where is that found? I am still running the water bottle with the steel wool in it. 
Your step repair, what material are you going to cover them with, my top step storage is pulling appart from the piano hinge, so my repair is right around the corner and i was undecided as what to cover them with.

Finally when i replaced my high mount stop light i added a “warning flasher” to the circuit so the light does a quick Series of rapid flashing before reverting to solid on. Its an attention getter that i saw someone elses rig one day on the road.

Time to Replace Norcold 1200?
Tom Wallis

Update: In a previous comment I stated that I had ordered a cooling unit from RV Cool in AR and after a long wait it still hadn't arrived. Well it finally arrived after about a month. I've installed it and so far it seems to be working fine. At this point I have no complaint with the product just the service.

RV Service in Lubbock
Chuck B

Most all repair shops are going to serve their local customers first.  All non local business will have to wait.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Exhaust Overheating Code (1966)
Frank McElroy
22 hours ago, Gary M said:

Hi Frank

I recently had a Cummins Care shop do a print out because of the issues on my 09 recently. They were less than helpful on helping me understand the info. I was wondering if I scan it as a PDF and sent it to you, maybe you might help me understand it. Naturally after going to this shop, I was told I should not go there as they have a bad reputation. After constant calling about when coach would be done, two weeks to do a 5hr service.

Gary, sure, send me a PDF file to my email and I'll call you to explain.  That file should be about 50 pages long.  Hopefully they gave you a complete report.  If they did not, see if they can email you the Cummins Insite file that should be stored on their computer.  You won't be able to open it but I can.

JDCrow
3 hours ago, veraken said:

Looking good.  What headlights and turn signals did you purchase?  Where did you get them.

https://www.vantageoptics.com

They specialize in E series van headlight conversions. The Dip happens to have the same headlights as an 92-07 E series.

2 hours ago, Chargerman said:

I guess sleep is an option for you 😂. Looking good!

LOL, trying to squeeze some projects out before next month when we head out.

49 minutes ago, Rikadoo said:

Hey JD nice lookin set of mods, i really the the canister for what i belive is for the draft tube, where is that found? I am still running the water bottle with the steel wool in it. 
Your step repair, what material are you going to cover them with, my top step storage is pulling appart from the piano hinge, so my repair is right around the corner and i was undecided as what to cover them with.

Finally when i replaced my high mount stop light i added a “warning flasher” to the circuit so the light does a quick Series of rapid flashing before reverting to solid on. Its an attention getter that i saw someone elses rig one day on the road.

Catch can:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mishimoto-MMOCC-LA-Aluminum-Oil-Catch-Can-Large-/324064478678?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

I am using the same coin floor that I did the rest of the captain chair area with. I purchased these stair nose to finish it all off.

Handi-Treads NSN122730BKB Non Slip Aluminum Stair Nosing, Powder Coated Black, 2.75" x 30" with Color Matching Wood Screws, 2.75 x 30 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NOLGZ4W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_J8YF6VARVZ5SZVYMETBC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Also replacing the stair lights and adding 2 more to other side.

Good idea on the rear high mount. You just added something more to my list LOL

Jim McGarvie

Our front roof A/C is a Dometic 600315.321. Intermittently (don't we all hate that word?) the compressor will come on without the fan. I can switch the fan from Auto to On on the thermostat and solve the problem temporarily. Or I can turn off the circuit breaker for the front A/C or remove the thermostat from the wall plate, either of which, of course, stops the compressor and the fan. Sometimes when it is acting up I will remove the thermostat for a while, and when I plug it back in the A/C comes on normally.

The thermostat is a residential programmable Honeywell. When this same issue occurred last month my troubleshooting led me to believe the problem was in the thermostat, so I replaced it with a new one of the identical model. That seemed to have solved the problem for a while, then yesterday it returned to its previous behavior.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Jim

Ok What is this?
tmw188
2 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Or maybe closer to the compressor is better?

Yep maybe, although in residential applications they like it closer to the evaporator. You often see them outside near the unit only because of the convenience of not needing to go inside someone’s basement or home is what I’ve been told. In either case it’s a tough spot to get to.  

What Product do You Use?
tmw188

The exterior of my coach is in great shape for a 20 yr coach thankfully! So what products do you use and why? Paste wax and polish to start, then maintenance with spray on liquids? What’s been your experience with the Roof also? 

What Product do You Use?
Wrayj1

Todd, we have our coach professionally cleaned in Arizona every winter, usually in March, then i use a spray on to keep it clean.  As for the roof I clean it again in September. After clean it I apply a coat if Mop n Glow to the top.  it works well.  I apply it with a sponge mop being careful not to let it run over the sides of the coach.  I did that once and had white streaks down the sides. 

Ok What is this?
Dr4Film
2 minutes ago, tmw188 said:

In either case it’s a tough spot to get to.

I would agree. When I had a new compressor installed back in 2012 they installed a new dryer. It took two of us, the shop owner and myself. I held up the cover plate that is located over the dryer while the old dryer was removed and the new one installed.

You get to it by removing the small narrow engine cover that is located in front of the closet. You will then see a long plate which holds some relays, etc. You remove the screws holding the plate and then one person can lift the plate up at an angle which exposes the AC drier.

Look at the photo below in the lower right corner where it describes the relay's etc. that are located under that cover.

I also installed a switch onto that cover which will activate the PRXB PackBrake which I use when lubing the exhaust brake.

Rear Run Electrical Bay-03.jpg

Slobber Tube or Not?
tmw188
On 9/7/2021 at 9:26 PM, Timaz996 said:

I just used a Powerade bottle. Punched a hole in it and a hole in the slobber tube and ran a healthy zip tie through both. I also have about half of the bottle filled with steel wool to keep anything from splashing and also vented the top. It works like a champ.

After cleaning everything really well I want to try and keep it that way. I’ll keep an eye on it to see how quickly it fills up, I would think extremely slow. Valve cover cap was leaking too.

46777954-4926-4812-BF72-C9CD15CB1A70.jpeg

FAD1D390-1B0C-471B-9F4D-364C3940A119.jpeg

Ok What is this?
tmw188

NICE!

klcdenver

I am looking for the blue wire for the electric brake controller (#7 pin) from the rear socket to where it is usually ran to under the dash or where ever. The wire must have a relay or something on it because wire tracer will not work on it. The motorhome is 2007 Moaco Diplomat 40SKQ.

Thanks,

Kenneth

vito.a

On our 2007 Monaco the trailer brake control wires were all white.  They were in a bundle buried up in the dash.  It took me several tries to finally find them.  They were tied together above the diagnostic connector ports.  Some folks have found them under the drivers side console.  

Link to thread:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/trailer-brake-controller-wires-309241.html

klcdenver

I am looking for the blue wire for the electric brake controller (#7 pin) from the rear socket to where it is usually ran to under the dash or where ever. The wire must have a relay or something on it because wire tracer will not work on it. The motorhome is 2007 Moaco Diplomat 40SKQ.

Thanks,

Kenneth

What Product do You Use?
Chuck B

For those of you that have been around for a long time and visited the Diamond Hill Monaco repair facility might remember Mary Moppins.  She would hold seminars on waxing the sides and top of coaches.  No matter what brand of wax you used on your coach, she would ask you to glide a terry cloth over the waxed area.  Then she would spray on her Advantage waterless wash protectant product on that area and wipe it dry.  She would ask you to glide the terry cloth over the same area for you to experience the amount of drag.  She made a believer out of everyone who tried.  An easy wipe on, wipe off application.  www.goclean . com.  Leave out the spaces.

Chuck B 2004 Windsor

I might add that it worked great on the front windshield making it easy to remove the bugs.  Worked great on the inside of the glass shower door.  Chuck

vito.a

I have not seen anyone successfully use a residential thermostat on a Dometic RV A/C.  I'm just saying I've not seen one work.

The Dometic thermostats and A/C units use 12v DC signals sent through an RJ11 phone cord to control the A/C.  There are even three different versions of the Dometic A/C control input/output.  

Early 4-button thermostat through about 2002 (these thermostats were very unreliable)

5 button Comfort Control thermostat from 2003 until a few years ago.  

The current CCC2 (Comfort Control Center 2) programmable thermostats.  

The Dometic thermostat must be the same generation as the A/C system, or use a conversion control board.   

I would first call Dometic with your A/C model and serial number and determine what version it is.  Then install the appropriate thermostat.  You will need to program the new thermostat to the A/C.  Switch the bottom thermostat black slide switch off.  Depress both the top and bottom program buttons simultaneously and slide the on/off switch on.  You will see FF in the display.  

Your other alternative is to replace both the A/C and the thermostat with new ones.  

Best of luck!

Chuck B

I have used a wire tracer for 3 decades of telephone repairs.  I have experienced that a wire tracer will not work on an Individual wire if it has 12vdc or ground on it.  It always worked on a Pair of wires with or without 12vdc on them.

Chuck B 2004 Windsor 

Slobber Tube or Not?
Timaz996

My tube is about a foot longer then yours. Make sure you have a hole at least 1" diameter near the top to allow air out. (vent) If you don't have a vent it will build pressure. When I change my oil I put in 5 gallons. This in just above the add mark and my engine doesn't use any oil or blow it out the tube. I only get condensation in the bottle. If I put the oil level close to the full mark my engine will slowly use it out the tube.

Tim  

Ivan K

I suspect that John's version is the one using individual wire connections instead of the phone cable. I have not seen it since our Class C with a single unit. Never had a problem with it that I remember so no real experience to be of any help. Maybe some intermittent connection up top?

Roof Cleaning
Admirial RVr

Not the easyest job but I clean my roof 2xs / year. I'm parked in the open and no trees. Very definetly will need to clean all sides after roof cleaning. 

James, after cleaning your roof did you use a primer before painting. I need to paint real soon. Waiting for a little cooler weather.

Dr4Film

Check under the driver's side dash. There should be a complete harness there just for the Brake Controller. Hopefully it will also be labeled.

Roof Cleaning
jacwjames

No primer, I did take some 200 grit sandpaper to scuff up the roof, taped off the perimeter and painted.  The pressure washer really did a good job, I was pleasantly surprised.  Cleaned one day, backed it into my garage, let it dry overnight painted the first coat the next day and then waited to paint the 2nd coat on the third day. 

Roof.jpg

Slobber Tube or Not?
JDCrow

Yeah I think most of the oil is from being overfilled from previous oil change 

Roof Cleaning
bobstromain

looks great!

Roof Cleaning
jacwjames

Time will tell!

klcdenver

Richard,

Do you know how many wires in the harness, what gauge and if in a molex connector? It looks like a 20 year rats nest under the dash. 🥵

Kenneth

Dr4Film

My Tekonsha Brake Controller has a four wire harness, one wire for 12 VDC Positive, one for 12 VDC Negative, one for Brake Signal and one for Electric Brakes.

However, no clue as to what Monaco may have done. I would assume it would be a Molex Connector as that's what was commonly used throughout the coach.

Gary 05 AMB DST

Aren't residential thermostats 24v?

Gary 05 AMB DST

Ivan K
5 minutes ago, Gary 05 AMB DST said:

Aren't residential thermostats 24v?

Gary 05 AMB DST

I think they make them run off backup batteries,  Jim would probably know best.

JDCrow

No real way to reuse the existing conduit, since it goes to the panel and I need it to goto the new inverter. It’s ran up the side and over the top in the rear cap. I’ll have to pull the wire to reuse and abandon the conduit for new. 

I’ll drop a single pole dual breaker in the old inverter slot and try to fish a section of Romax down to a splice box to connect to the Microwave and plug runs. 

5B838413-DDFE-4504-AAB5-061F483D91AC.jpeg

7FE22528-F21A-4480-8A80-60C872A6CE56.jpeg

83C32A2E-ACB5-47A7-AFD4-1D524EA227B0.jpeg

Rikadoo

Hey JD so this was the third mont flasher i spoke of, amazon

75E8EF71-1951-4D71-A9C9-90C2E94A9DC3.jpeg

Serpentine belt
Gary 05 AMB DST

I'm trying to find the serpentine belt 3972375 as a spare. Seems that they are no more. Does anyone have the specs of it to compare to others as a replacement?

Gary 05 AMB DST

JDCrow
4 minutes ago, Rikadoo said:

Hey JD so this was the third mont flasher i spoke of, amazon

75E8EF71-1951-4D71-A9C9-90C2E94A9DC3.jpeg

In the mail! Thanks! 

Wire is out, headed to HD for carflex, wire and a breaker 

813E6750-F9A6-4CEA-BA36-5169787C26A6.jpeg

EE4C9ABC-9DC7-4B22-AE45-00208034F52D.jpeg

Serpentine belt
Rob connors

Is that a Gates number for belt

Serpentine belt
Admirial RVr

Gary, Just got mine 3 months ago for ISL400 Cummins part # 3972263.  Purchased this from Cummins.dieselengines.parts In Boca Raton,FL 33434. It took about 3 weeks for delivery.  Hope this helps.

Serpentine belt
klcdenver

Napa crossover Part #: NBH 25080839HD.  Gates #K080839HD  You can go to any reliable parts store and they can cross reference it. It is available in an OEM on ebay an amazon also.

Serpentine belt
Gary 05 AMB DST

Thanks, I was zeroing in on Dayco belts. Never thought about other manufacturers. Rob, I have no idea what manufacturer that number is for. Just wrote down the number in my owner's manual thinking that it would be a coverall.

Thanks again,

Gary 05 AMB DST

Roof Cleaning
Jim Bob

The original post was asking for something that would not run down the side and stain them.  I did my roof the spring that Covid hit.  Had to find something to do.  I used the Dicor products, but they will most certainly stain metal and the sides.  The instructions state that you should tape off and hang plastic around the sides.  I did not realize the cleaner would affect the metal and did not protect the ladder, etc.  Anyway, it is a long and fairly difficult process and timing is important also unless you have a covered area to work.  First you remove all the old caulk, etc.  Wash the roof, sand the roof, wash the roof again.  Then paint with their fiberglass paint, but you can't let any water on it for about 10 hours...  that is where the timing comes in.  In order, to wash the roof and get it dry, then paint it two coats with drying in between then no water including dew... it can be a challenge.  The end result was very nice...  my fiberglass had some very small checks in it and the sanding and painting really filled those in nicely.  Also, be careful up on a slippery roof!!! 

Roof Cleaning
6Wheels

You mean the roof is supposed to be white?

Serpentine belt
JohnnyDiesel

Oem belt is on ebay. Dated 2020 so it's not old stock.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fp%2F510928574

Bathroom heat
ktloah

We have an 04 Dynasty with the Aqua-hot 100-02S heating system. Everything's works fine but the bathroom register blows only cold air. All the other zones work fine. Am I missing a valve somewhere?  Thanks

Bathroom heat
Ivylog

Zones not working is often a stuck check valve at the pump. Tapping on it with the wooden handle if a hammer will usually loosen/fix it. Getting the cover off to get to it takes longer than the fix although it could be a bad pump.

Before pulling the cover, make sure all 3 zones are on furnace and the temp settings are high enough.

Speedometer reading incorrectly.
Oregon04Windsor

The speedometer on my new-to-me 2004 Windsor is reading incorrectly.  At 55MPH or so it's reading about 35MPH.  The Aladdin display reads the correct MPH so am I safe to assume it is a gauge issue?

Is there a kilometer switch or setting on the speedo head?  The only button just seems to by trip reset.

IMG_9430.JPG

Serpentine belt
Nevada Rob

https://www.dieselpartsdirect.com/ds3972375

Website reads the item is in stock.

waterskier_1

Many speedometers have DIP switches on the back to set them up.  Did you check your wiring diagrams?  That is where the switch setting are shown for my 05 Exec.

Onan 12.5 Generator shuts down on engine start-up
Ivylog

To begin with I didn’t put a 4440 on because it was only 10 teeth instead of 11 but finally figured out the gear is off-center in the hole and it was the correct starter for my ISX. Bought it off eBay from DB electric and it’s probably a better price than what you were quoted.

I assume you have a ISM and getting the top boat out was the hardest part when I changed to a Denso because of the flex in a long extension to get to the bolt. The Densowiill start it with just one battery where the Delco had a hard time with three batteries.

354D074F-3834-40AA-B5DD-4C6EBC9299EC.png

Bathroom heat
Ivan K

Sounds like our type of AH and the check valves should be above the cover. Unless the pump is not running, Dick's fix should do it for you.

2016-09-16_19-26-38_215.jpg

Bathroom heat
ktloah

Ok, thank you....will check that out. So, there are 3 zones which mean 3 pumps. I assume the check valves are close to the pump themselves?

Thanks Ivan, you answered my question on where the check valves are...

Serpentine belt
Ivylog

I use EBay as a cross reference source and usually the best price if not need as fast as Amazon will get it to you.

5382503F-974B-421C-A0CC-286FB83C368A.png

Bathroom heat
Ivylog

Actually you have 4… the basement one is on an adjustable Tstat in the ceiling of the water bay.

Bathroom heat
ktloah

Thankyou

King to Air Throttle Conversion
CRY1942

Southwest International Truck Center in Dallas has completed one Country Coach conversion to an Air Throttle and Rostra Cruise Control, reportedly at a large expense. Conversion for air throttle requires a new Air Foot Pedal, Air Lines front to rear, Air Throttle Control Cylinder, Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and a new pickup for vehicle speed. King Control box provided Throttle Position and Vehicle Speed to the Allison transmission. I am working with an owner who is about 99% complete with his conversion on a Cummins C8.3 and hope to soon have details available. See Coach Conversion Central (.com) for basic information on air conversion.

Roof Cleaning
96 EVO

Funny, someone asks about washing their roof, and everyone want's him to paint it 🤔!

Even if he painted it, it will still eventually need to be washed, then the walls will need to be cleaned!

One thing that may work ( I've never had the ball's to try it), is ask your wife to follow you around the coach with another hose, washing the detergent off the walls, as it comes off the roof.

Water full of detergent drying on the walls is usually the biggest problem. 

Jim McGarvie
8 hours ago, vito.a said:

I have not seen anyone successfully use a residential thermostat on a Dometic RV A/C.  I'm just saying I've not seen one work.

The Dometic thermostats and A/C units use 12v DC signals sent through an RJ11 phone cord to control the A/C.  There are even three different versions of the Dometic A/C control input/output.  

Early 4-button thermostat through about 2002 (these thermostats were very unreliable)

The Dometic thermostat must be the same generation as the A/C system, or use a conversion control board.   

I would first call Dometic with your A/C model and serial number and determine what version it is.  Then install the appropriate thermostat.  You will need to program the new thermostat to the A/C.  Switch the bottom thermostat black slide switch off.  Depress both the top and bottom program buttons simultaneously and slide the on/off switch on.  You will see FF in the display.  

Your other alternative is to replace both the A/C and the thermostat with new ones.  

Best of luck!

Best of luck!

Best of luck!

Thanks for the reply, Vito, but our 2002 (made in 2001) coach never had any buttons. It was a really old fashioned thermostat, just a couple of switches and a rheostat. Our residential thermostat worked perfectly, for the furnace and for the A/C, for two years.

Trailer Fuse Location
nocreek141

wow looked for it again and again nothing. I am totally frustrated.

Rick A

This speedometer isn’t digital it’s a manual speedo. The dial has a conversion on it so you read the miles/hr on the outside scale and the km/hr on the inner scale. If you have a GPS it might tell you what speed your doing. That way you celebrate the error factor and maybe you could see if the dial face has slipped out of alignment? 

Tag axle tires won’t move
Hancoman

Went to the motor home today to do some work on my back closet doors. Pulled the coach out of its spot so I could open the slide after the work was done and the slide back in I backing into my spot and my helper said my tag axle tires were locked and not moving. I pulled forward and backed up again and they would not move. Anyone ever have this problem.  

2001 43’ executive 

vito.a

The tag axle is not lifting, or the tires are not rotating?

If you have the tag lift rocker switch depressed the tag axle will lift and the tires will skim across the ground at low speed.  

Hancoman

Not rotating

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.