Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/543-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Modernizing my 2008 Safari Cheetah
McHughes
Dometic roof A/C: compressor, no fan
hitechpete
Slide Sealant Caulking
Dr4Film
Roof Cleaning
Mike H
Slide Sealant Caulking
jacwjames
Roof Cleaning
Paul A.
Roof Cleaning
Twomed
Roof Cleaning
jacwjames
Keyless Entry FOB
Mike H
Slide Sealant Caulking
JDCrow
Keyless Entry FOB
Dr4Film
Keyless Entry FOB
Mike H
Keyless Entry FOB
Dr4Film
Anyone in Bedford, NH?
pwhittle
Keyless Entry FOB
Mike H
STEERING PROBLEMS
Dr Russell
STEERING PROBLEMS
JohnnyDiesel
Trailer Brake Controller Wiring
Tom Cherry
Keyless Entry FOB
Dr4Film
winds shield wiper motor
Bobbyboy
winds shield wiper motor
Dr4Film
klcdenver
Dr4Film
Ride Height Adjustment '08 Camelot?
Happycarz
winds shield wiper motor
Hypoxia
Jim McGarvie
Fuel tank leak
Dennis Y
Entrance door step
We2dynasty
Fuel tank leak
gdroberson

Modernizing my 2008 Safari Cheetah
McHughes

Good idea. I weighed it before I started the upgrades.  Be interesting to see where it winds up.

2002 Dip, first MH to cut our teeth on
Gwarsh
19 hours ago, JDCrow said:

I opted to by off brand batteries. I likewise am on a budget. A 200ah is down to $789, the heated 200ah I paid $1100 for. 

JDCrow,
Regarding your Chin's lithium battery:

1. Where did you purchase it (URL please)
  2. Was price your only factor in choosing Chin's... ?
  3. How long did it take to get... ? (from order time, to the time that it arrived)

GREAT job on everything that you've done thus far, I'm very impressed!!!  Please keep posting... (I'm in a very similar situation and going fulltime soon, by Thanksgiving '21)

hitechpete

It’s quite easy to use a domestic thermostat to control the furnace, when we suffered from a problem that wouldn’t allow our CCC2 to see the zone with our furnace (water in RJ11), I used a simple room thermostat with isolated contacts to turn the furnace on. The furnace is switched on by simply connecting the 2 blue wires that run from the A/C unit PCB together, this is easily accomplished at the furnace end.

Dr4Film
23 minutes ago, hitechpete said:

It’s quite easy to use a domestic thermostat to control the furnace, when we suffered from a problem that wouldn’t allow our CCC2 to see the zone with our furnace (water in RJ11), I used a simple room thermostat with isolated contacts to turn the furnace on. The furnace is switched on by simply connecting the 2 blue wires that run from the A/C unit PCB together, this is easily accomplished at the furnace end.

Peter,

Controlling a heater or an Aqua-Hot Heat Exchanger is not the concern or confusion posted in this thread. In fact I do that myself with three different thermostats on my Aqua-Hot for the three different zones.

What is confusing is controlling the AC's with a residential thermostat. It appears that Jim is possible an isolated case where he is using one to control his AC's and we ALL know that the Dometic Penguin AC's come with four wire RJ-11 connectors to connect the AC's to the normal Dometic thermostats.

We still don't know how those four wires are connected to his thermostat unless they are using some sort of adapter that goes from a four wire RJ-11 plug to residential wiring. There would have to be two wires for the 12 VDC + & - and two more wires to turn the AC's on/off.

12 hours ago, Jim McGarvie said:

The thermostat is a Honeywell RTH7600D. I use it for both heating and cooling, but I only use the programming feature for heating. I'm sure it would work fine for cooling as well, just haven't found the need.

Jim,

Here is the manual for the Honeywell RTH7600D. Possibly it may help resolve your problem.

https://honeywellstore.com/store/images/pdf/rth7600d-7-day-programmable-touch-screen-thermostat-installation-manual.pdf

Slide Sealant Caulking
Dr4Film

By the looks of your photos, your coach is a candidate for Guardian Plates before anymore damage is done. Possibly it has gone too far already requiring the slide to be removed (expensive).

I would contact Chris Throgmartin of Talin RV ASAP. He is also a Monacoers member.

http://talinrv.com/

Bedroom Slide Worm Gear drive box DN13462
Dr4Film

Jim,

I had to install SS Skid Plates to the bottom wood runners of the bed pedestal as one side had gotten gouged from the small permanent roller on the floor. Then last year Chris Throgmartin had pointed out that the portion of the slide on the outside was starting to show signs of wear. Not serious but would need some attention in a few years. Since I was planning to be at their shop for some other maintenance items I had them make up two SS skid plates for the outside and install them.

The slide now travels in and out smoothly but it does occasionally click or briefly hesitate. It's the same sound when I get to the end of travel.

2002 Dip, first MH to cut our teeth on
JDCrow
2 hours ago, Gwarsh said:

JDCrow,
Regarding your Chin's lithium battery:

1. Where did you purchase it (URL please)
  2. Was price your only factor in choosing Chin's... ?
  3. How long did it take to get... ? (from order time, to the time that it arrived)

GREAT job on everything that you've done thus far, I'm very impressed!!!  Please keep posting... (I'm in a very similar situation and going fulltime soon, by Thanksgiving '21)

1) Amazon 12V 200Ah Smart Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery, Support Low Temperature Charging (-31°F), Built-in 100A BMS, 2000+ Cycles, Mobile Phone APP Monitors Battery SOC Data https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08N56268P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_TPKGRE5050D77SVSW66P

Non heated:

12V 200Ah LiFePO4 Battery, Built-in 200A BMS, 2000+ Cycles, Each Battery Can Support 2560W Power Output, Perfect for RV, Caravan, Solar, Marine, Home Storage and Off-Grid https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0993Y461N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_EQ1PK4WZGZ9AYHNKRZ36?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

2) Price is good, Good reviews on Amazon, Will Prowse took the battery apart and gave it thumbs up  

3) The “regular” battery came in about a week. The smart one came in 2 weeks. 

Thanks for the encouragement, if you have any pointers or suggestions, please fire away. 

I have obligations today and won’t be around till after 5-6 pm

Roof Cleaning
Mike H
On 9/11/2021 at 7:10 AM, throgmartin said:

When we do roof renovations at our shop we powerwash the roof. We scrub the roof using a heavy concentration of Dawn 4X detergent. We then completely rinse the roof using the powerwasher. Dawn is a powerful cleaner that wont effect paint and l;eave stains down the sides of the coach. We then wash the coach immediately afterwards.

After the roof is dry the coach owner then selects what process he wants. If the paint or fiberglass is in good shape we apply a heavy layer of Aerospace 303. If the fiberglass or paint on metal roofs shows aging then we paint it using Dicor products.

Chris,  I know the 303 is great for UV protection but doesn't it need to be applied again in maybe 6 months, or sooner if left full time out in the open, to keep the roof from chalking up and streaking down the sides again?  How long will the Dicor painting process protect and keep the roof from chalking up again?

jacwjames
16 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Jim,

I had to install SS Skid Plates to the bottom wood runners of the bed pedestal as one side had gotten gouged from the small permanent roller on the floor. Then last year Chris Throgmartin had pointed out that the portion of the slide on the outside was starting to show signs of wear. Not serious but would need some attention in a few years. Since I was planning to be at their shop for some other maintenance items I had them make up two SS skid plates for the outside and install them.

The slide now travels in and out smoothly but it does occasionally click or briefly hesitate. It's the same sound when I get to the end of travel.

Thanks Richard, looking at installing SS plates.  Right now I can't see any problem with the bottom of the slide.

Mine started to do something different, not the same as the end of travel where the clutch lets the gear jump.  After I got it all back together yesterday it didn't do it any more.  Now I'm wondering if it might have been the motor "pausing", not sure.  Going to do some more looking today but if I don't find anything else I call it quits.

Slide Sealant Caulking
jacwjames

On my slide there is a seal that goes from top to bottom on the slide.  The seal will flip in when the slide is pulled in and "suppose" to flip out when the slide is extended.  The seal is what prevents the water from running into the coach and down the slide.

In the past I made it a habit to go back and check to make sure the seal flipped out, most of the time it didn't so I'd have to take my awning pull, work it under the seal and move up slowly getting the seal to reposition out. 

I finally bought some non skid tape and put it on the slide.  When the slide comes out it grabs the seal and pulls it out. 

It does look like the bottom of the slide is showing signs of failure, if it is soft it is a sign of water damage.  

Ray Davis

Many owners have probably seen these pictures but others may have no idea how the underside of the bed slide is put together.                                                                  Scroll down for pictures.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/quick-tips-and-easy-mods-monaco-style-17034-77.html

jacwjames

I didn't have to take my bed frame completely apart to repair.  I just had to remove the 2 covers toward the head of the bed that cover the slide mechanism.  I first removed the small one and didn't see the real problem, then some on here and IRV2 suggested I go further so I removed the larger piece.  That is when I found the loose screws on either side of the bed  The ~1 1/2" aluminum angle pieces were about ~30" long, it had larger lag type lag bolts going down but only had smaller screws going into the side.  The small screws were all loose, I could remove with my fingers so I used large lag type bolts to replace the 5 screws and then added 3 extra ones.  Doubt they will come loose now but If I notice the problem of the front of the slide "drooping" I'll know what to do next time. 

Since I was working on this I did decide to remove and go through the slide motor and gear box.  Not saying that wasn't a good idea but probably not worth the effort and scraped/cut knuckles it took to get it apart. 

Roof Cleaning
Paul A.

I am surprised https://rvroof.com/ has not been mentioned. Expensive but will last forever.

Several years ago a few members on this site used; https://henry.com/retail/white-roof-coatings/887-tropi-cool-100-silicone-white-roof-coating

Ray Davis

Here is another thread on IRV2 that shows a better view of the aluminum angle,  I think it's on page 2.   It also shows other problems the slides may have concerning the rollers

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/power-gear-underbed-hardware-371889.html

jacwjames

Here's a picture of the gear box.  I have the parts break down for the whole slide assembly and none of my searches turned up any of the parts.  The list does include the Monaco part number for the whole thing but REV didn't have it. 

The gearbox itself is built pretty solid.  All the gears are brass and it uses flat needle type bearings on both ends of the 3 gears.  The motor itself is also small but combined they get the job done, lots of torque due to the gear reduction. 

I guess if it fails you'd have to try and adapt a different type of gear drive but there is not much room to work with. 

Bedroom Slide Gear Box.jpg

Roof Cleaning
Twomed

Just another opinion here.  Having lived in Florida most of 70 years and owning/maintaining fibregalass boats it amazes me that folks try to constantly re-invent the wheel on this issue.

A.  there is no permanent solution under constant sunlight unless you have NASA dollars.

B.  Our coaches came with unpainted roofs so when the gelcoat..that very thin gloss coat first applied in a mold wears off you WILL have chalking.

C.  All coatings you apply will have a terminal life based on prep aand product.

D.  Marine coatings, time tested, will last longer than wax, miracle fluids, coatings made for mobile homes, etc.

E.  All boils down to how often you wish to do it over a again yourself or pay for hopefully a good job. 

I just re-painted mine with Rustoleum Topside after seven years ( maybe could have gone one more) all outside life with first topside paint.  Day one prep and dry.  Day 2 Tape and  brush cut in and roll.  Day 3 second coat roll.  Day 4 pull tape.  Done for seven more yaers...TOO old by then so someone else will be doing it.

Just like mileage your expericence/choices will be different. 

RR8S chassis leaning on air bags after shutdown
dl_racing427

Mike,

I place the stands under the vertical supports that support the trailing arms, and under the front crossmember where the front hyd. jack mounts, directly under vertical supports.

I store my coach on the stands, so I can retract the jacks, protecting the rams from the elements.  I've never had any indication of distortion or flexing of the lift points.

Ray Davis

Is your motor and gear assy attached to this beveled gear assy?  I have read about a 21 tooth plastic that strips/crumbles.  Is that inside the gear box?

GJthInP.jpg

Roof Cleaning
jacwjames
1 hour ago, Twomed said:

Day one prep and dry.  Day 2 Tape and  brush cut in and roll.  Day 3 second coat roll.  Day 4 pull tape.  Done for seven more yaers...TOO old by then so someone else will be doing it.

That's what I'm hoping, that's why I just did the Rustoleum Topside 😄

jacwjames
53 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

Is your motor and gear assy attached to this beveled gear assy?  I have read about a 21 tooth plastic that strips/crumbles.  Is that inside the gear box?

Ray,

No, my gear box has a worm gear type system.  There is a gear that attaches to the motor, then an intermediate gear, and final drive gear that mates to the drive couple.  Not sure what the gear reduction is but it is pretty high, when I turned the motor gear it barely moved the drive gear.  All brass inside, no adjustments for mesh/alignment.  Best I could do is take it apart, check, move some of the grease around to better cover the gears, and put it back together.  I did not see any signs of wear.  As long as it  lasts another 20 years I'll be happy!!!!!!!

Keyless Entry FOB
Mike H

I have the four button keyless entry Key Fob.  In the owners manual it states that only 3 of the buttons are used.  Has anyone figured out how to use that 'extra' button to perform another function, like turning on the outside porch light or something else?

Key Fob.jpg

Slide Sealant Caulking
JDCrow
14 hours ago, Gary M said:

There is a plastic catch basin in each corner that is supposed to catch any water that gets past the side seal and drain to the outside. Also the bottom slide seal should be glued at an angle inwards so that it doesn’t block that catch basin.

The sealant proflex comes in clear, white and black which I have used all three colors on my coach.

My front slide had a “fix” on the cups when I bought it. Had the cups filled with Urethane, and then a shingle of rubber seal over them. As such, I eliminates the cups on my bedroom slide 

5 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

By the looks of your photos, your coach is a candidate for Guardian Plates before anymore damage is done. Possibly it has gone too far already requiring the slide to be removed (expensive).

I would contact Chris Throgmartin of Talin RV ASAP. He is also a Monacoers member.

http://talinrv.com/

Agree, plates are in order 

Keyless Entry FOB
Dr4Film

Is that a Trimark or Essex Key Fob System?

Protective Film Removal Help 2002 Dynasty
Patrick

The protective film on the front of my 2002 Dynasty looks awful. I would like to remove it safely. 

Is this film the Diamond Shield or the 3M product? How do I get it off without ruining the paint underneath?

I’m not close to anyone who offers this service so it’s going to have to be DIY. 

JDCrow
3 minutes ago, Patrick said:

The protective film on the front of my 2002 Dynasty looks awful. I would like to remove it safely. 

Is this film the Diamond Shield or the 3M product? How do I get it off without ruining the paint underneath?

I’m not close to anyone who offers this service so it’s going to have to be DIY. 

Many YouTube videos to help you. Heat gun and citrus goof off

Keyless Entry FOB
Mike H
22 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Is that a Trimark or Essex Key Fob System?

Essex.  It's for my 2005 Exec

Duanebalogh
17 minutes ago, Patrick said:

We had it bad on another mh and  very expensive cause it could take your color/finish off and your looking at a few thousands 

Keyless Entry FOB
Dr4Film

Mike,

After reading all the material on the Essex Keyless Entry and Key Fob I think the only other function that can be used is to ARM a Anti-Theft Alarm System.

They already use one for the entry door and light plus one more for the Bay Doors. All that's left is an alarm system.

Anyone in Bedford, NH?
pwhittle

Hi all,

I would like to bid on an auction for some electronics equipment in Bedford that ends on Tuesday. It is a few boxes approximately 12x12x12”.

I have called and emailed the company that is supposed to be able to ship items from this auction, but no response yet.

If I won and can’t get the shipping company to help, would anyone be able to pick the boxes and ship them to me at my expense?

Thanks in advance!

Paul

Patrick
42 minutes ago, JDCrow said:

Many YouTube videos to help you. Heat gun and citrus goof off

Yes, I have seen the videos.  Have you done it?

Keyless Entry FOB
Mike H
16 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Mike,

After reading all the material on the Essex Keyless Entry and Key Fob I think the only other function that can be used is to ARM a Anti-Theft Alarm System.

They already use one for the entry door and light plus one more for the Bay Doors. All that's left is an alarm system.

Yeah,  I suspect some sort of receiver would need to be built with a switch to operate any lights.  I don't know of any light the FOB operates and as far as I can see it only operates the entry and bay door latches.  I usually just use the key pad to unlock the entry door and at night it's hard to see the numbers on the pad until you press one and then it lights up but if you've pressed the wrong first digit then you have to wait until it resets, which can be frustrating if it's raining 🙂 .  I've mounted rechargeable LED light on the inside of the door and entry way that detect motion and light up that area when the door is opened.

JDCrow
16 minutes ago, Patrick said:

Yes, I have seen the videos.  Have you done it?

On other trucks etc. Used to own a detail shop in the past. Would remove al types of funky stripes people thought they were cool to put on, they weren’t. 

It’s on my to do list for our dip, maybe a warmer winter day this year. 

Go slow with the heat gun, do not stay in one spot, ever. Be content with small “bites” of the clear bra. Don’t hope for big chunks. 

STEERING PROBLEMS
Dr Russell

I have completed  the swap of the steering box to a TRW box and drove it for the first time this weekend. I dont have any play in the wheel but it steers harder than before and it will not center the wheels after a small turn you have to try to center it and that makes you chase it all over the road. Has anyone else had this problem. Thanks for any help.

JohnnyDiesel

Hi, I removed diamond shield from a 2005 intruder.

I did the job whilst in Florida because you must have warm temps. I used a heat gun to soften the film and then sliced off strips with a plastic chisel that I bought from Amazon. Then I used citrus solvent to soften glue, using the same scraper to get most glue off, then paper towels to get the rest. You have to go slow and cover the ground under your work area. It's tedious and slow. Took me 3 days. There is a company in Florida that charges 1200 for removal. Next time I take it to him. Lesson learned.

STEERING PROBLEMS
JohnnyDiesel

Sounds like the box gear adjustment is too tight. If the gear box is tight, the system wouldn't return or center. Gear box should be set for zero backlash, no more.

Tom Cherry

Brake Controller Location Guide for Monaco Brand Motor Homes - Unified Tow  Brake

THIS is what you are looking for. Monaco added them circa 2005. THERE was an issue and the plugs were installed wrong. I THINK that Monaco corrected this in 2006.  I included the best writeup on it from the UTB site.....Universal Tow Brake actually figured it out and told Monaco where they went wrong...

Here is a link from US Gear as to the location....

http://www.usgear.cc/utbbrake_locat.htm

There will be 5 WIRES in the plug... I'm doing this from memory but I helped a lot of folks find theirs and use the wires.  I used the 3M ScotchLok connectors...

HERE is how they are connected.  They ALL will be WHITE, with some dot matrix printing on them. DIFFICULT TO READ....I toned mine out....so here goes.

BRAKE SIGNAL.  Switch must be ON, I THINK.  Think of it as the Brake Light ON switch.  It was the one that Monaco messed up.

Here is the link on HOW to fix if your brake light signal is not correct. I tried to upload my PDF but the system shot it down....

http://www.usgear.cc/utb_roadmaster.htm

Monaco messed on on the output from the service brake relay.  Will provide a 12 VDC signal.

12 VDC HOT (it is FUSED somewhere). THIS is what provides the POWER Signal that goes to an Electric Brake unit on a trailer....or on your toad's system. 

12 VDC SWITCHED....ignition switch is ON.

Ground

WIRE TO REAR of trailer connector. This is the INFAMOUS BLUE WIRE. It will have NO VOLTAGE.  It will have NO CONTINUITY to GROUND.  It is just a plain connector going to the rear.  It DOES NOT run through any relay or such.....think a SPARE wire to the rear.  It will be an OPEN circuit when you check it at the FRONT on the Molex connector....

Use your VOM and locate the first FOUR. Once you have established them.....  THEN you can do ONE of two things....  I ran a 50 ft piece of #20 Hookup WIRE and then used my VOM to the rear.  BINGO...it worked.  Others have done it differently.....GRound to chassis or use a 9 VDC battery and go to GROUND with one side....

Good luck...

Keyless Entry FOB
Dr4Film

Mike, doesn't your driver's map light come on when you unlock the entry door at least for a few seconds?

My Essex Keyless Pad operates that way same for the Key Fob.

winds shield wiper motor
Bobbyboy

I have an 08 dynasty.  The windshield wiper motor died on me today in a thunderstorm.  Fortunately I was able to get off the hwy until it stopped raining.  Does anyone kknow the make, model of the motor.  Doesn't look to be a big job to replace it.  And yes, I checked the fuse.  I am fairly certain it is the motor as it just slowed down until it quit.  Ran for about 10 minutes then slowed down and hardly moved, then quit  altogether.  Thanks

Bob L

winds shield wiper motor
Dr4Film

Bob,

Check with this company/

https://www.amequipment.com/dc-gear-motor-products

I had to change the link above.

klcdenver
21 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

Brake Controller Location Guide for Monaco Brand Motor Homes - Unified Tow  Brake

THIS is what you are looking for. Monaco added them circa 2005. THERE was an issue and the plugs were installed wrong. I THINK that Monaco corrected this in 2006.  I included the best writeup on it from the UTB site.....Universal Tow Brake actually figured it out and told Monaco where they went wrong...

Here is a link from US Gear as to the location....

http://www.usgear.cc/utbbrake_locat.htm

There will be 5 WIRES in the plug... I'm doing this from memory but I helped a lot of folks find theirs and use the wires.  I used the 3M ScotchLok connectors...

HERE is how they are connected.  They ALL will be WHITE, with some dot matrix printing on them. DIFFICULT TO READ....I toned mine out....so here goes.

BRAKE SIGNAL.  Switch must be ON, I THINK.  Think of it as the Brake Light ON switch.  It was the one that Monaco messed up.

Here is the link on HOW to fix if your brake light signal is not correct. I tried to upload my PDF but the system shot it down....

http://www.usgear.cc/utb_roadmaster.htm

Monaco messed on on the output from the service brake relay.  Will provide a 12 VDC signal.

12 VDC HOT (it is FUSED somewhere). THIS is what provides the POWER Signal that goes to an Electric Brake unit on a trailer....or on your toad's system. 

12 VDC SWITCHED....ignition switch is ON.

Ground

WIRE TO REAR of trailer connector. This is the INFAMOUS BLUE WIRE. It will have NO VOLTAGE.  It will have NO CONTINUITY to GROUND.  It is just a plain connector going to the rear.  It DOES NOT run through any relay or such.....think a SPARE wire to the rear.  It will be an OPEN circuit when you check it at the FRONT on the Molex connector....

Use your VOM and locate the first FOUR. Once you have established them.....  THEN you can do ONE of two things....  I ran a 50 ft piece of #20 Hookup WIRE and then used my VOM to the rear.  BINGO...it worked.  Others have done it differently.....GRound to chassis or use a 9 VDC battery and go to GROUND with one side....

Good luck...

Thanks. I found a molex in that position but it has 6 wires in it. I will have to check it out again. Hopefully it will tone out. If not I have about decided to try the Curt RF wireless system. I found 2 other molex connectors under the dash but do not tone out to the blue wire on the rear plug.

Dr4Film

The Electric Brake Wire should be a heavier gauge wire and therefore much thicker as it has to carry more amps than the other wires needed for the brake controller.

Ride Height Adjustment '08 Camelot?
Happycarz

Ron,

8 13/16” is the spec on your air bags. The measurement is taken from the seam of the air plate to the mounting plate, both top and bottom, and should be 8 13/16” between the upper and lower seams.

From the attaches pictures you can see that I set mine at 8 1/2”. 

B18A7A45-268B-417F-8589-019B47CC1E81.jpeg

E7135EB6-F94E-46E9-BD0F-3A4862266EF5.jpeg

jacwjames

I removed the mask on my 2002 Windsor myself.

I tried using different chemicals but found the plain old gasoline worked the best. 

I would caution using a heat gun as if you get the clear coat too hot it will come right off.

I used a good size steamer, heavy plastic scrapers, gasoline, and puppy pee pads These have a plastic on one side and absorbent in the center.  Where the film came off easy I'd use the steamer and the putty knives.  I'd strip off a good size are of the mask but this would leave a good amount of the adhesive which was hard to get off.  I would then use the Puppy pads with gasoline, laying the pad across the area to let it work on the adhesive.  I did this in the open so the fumes weren't a problem (I think as my memory is faded). 

Anyway, it took me about 40 hours to do this over ~3 weekends.  None of the paint was damaged except where there were deep rock chips, only a couple of these.

BrianD

There is a company in Ft Myers, Florida that specializes in the removal. They will also sell their proprietary product to remove. The company is UglyShield Removal. Web page: www.ugly shield removal.com. Phone number:239-240-0793. They removed the shield from my Holiday Rambler Neptune. Really a great job!

Jim McGarvie
9 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

What is confusing is controlling the AC's with a residential thermostat. It appears that Jim is possible an isolated case where he is using one to control his AC's and we ALL know that the Dometic Penguin AC's come with four wire RJ-11 connectors to connect the AC's to the normal Dometic thermostats.

We still don't know how those four wires are connected to his thermostat unless they are using some sort of adapter that goes from a four wire RJ-11 plug to residential wiring. There would have to be two wires for the 12 VDC + & - and two more wires to turn the AC's on/off.

Jim,

Here is the manual for the Honeywell RTH7600D. Possibly it may help resolve your problem.

https://honeywellstore.com/store/images/pdf/rth7600d-7-day-programmable-touch-screen-thermostat-installation-manual.pdf

Thanks, Richard. I already have that manual.

You may all know that the Dometic Penguin AC's come with four wire RJ-11 connectors to connect the AC's to the normal Dometic thermostats, but our Dometic AC doesn't know that. It did NOT come with four-wire RJ-11 connectors, but with a cable containing six conductors. There is no adapter.

I know you guys are all very knowledgeable and experienced. The only thing I can think of to explain this apparent contradiction is that maybe our AC is NOT a 600315.321. I was relying upon the parts list that came with the coach from the factory. Maybe it is some other Dometic DuoTherm?

I have attached a picture showing the baseplate of the Honeywell thermostat showing the wiring connections. Only four of the six wires are used; the other two are taped and stuffed back into the wall.

Honeywell thermostat wiring.jpg

Fuel tank leak
Dennis Y

I discovered that my fuel tank is leaking.  The leak is cracked at the toe of the weld attaching one of the angle iron mounting tabs.  I am thinking about removing the tank to have it welded.  Has anyone done this?  Is there anything I should know?  How much does it weigh, can two people man-handle a mostly empty tank out of the drivers side? 

Dennis Yeats

2004 HR Ambassador

Entrance door step
We2dynasty

Our step did the same thing, it would not go all the way in.  Took the motor apart and the gears have three plastic cylinders that are spacers.  They had turned to dust.  Located the spacers at Oreilly's auto parts.  They were listed under window regulator parts.  Lubed everything up and put in the new spacers.  Works like new.1416353424_thumbnailcopy57.thumb.jpeg.c6a45e9b3c026ee0b76022fd3096baa1.jpeg

Fuel tank leak
gdroberson

I used a motorcycle jack to lower mine and raise it not to bad if you get most of the fuel out

Dr4Film

Jim,

My 2002 Monaco delivered in 2001 came with two Dometic Peguin Low Profile AC's with a 5 Button Thermostat. The coach was wired with 4 wire DATA cables and RJ-11 plugs, adapters and receptacles.

According to the 2002 Monaco Knight Brochure your 30 PBD came with only one 13.5 BTU AC. So do you only have one AC and one thermostat?

Without actually seeing a photo of the AC there is no telling what type of AC your coach has and how it is all wired together. Based on the what is shown above on the baseplate of your thermostat, if in fact your AC is a Dometic then the factory did some custom wiring job to make it work.

https://www.monacocoach.com/resources/media/user/1469212215_brc_pdf.pdf

Jim McGarvie
11 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Jim,

My 2002 Monaco delivered in 2001 came with two Dometic Peguin Low Profile AC's with a 5 Button Thermostat. The coach was wired with 4 wire DATA cables and RJ-11 plugs, adapters and receptacles.

According to the 2002 Monaco Knight Brochure your 30 PBD came with only one 13.5 BTU AC. So do you only have one AC and one thermostat?

Without actually seeing a photo of the AC there is no telling what type of AC your coach has and how it is all wired together. Based on the what is shown above on the baseplate of your thermostat, if in fact your AC is a Dometic then the factory did some custom wiring job to make it work.

https://www.monacocoach.com/resources/media/user/1469212215_brc_pdf.pdf

This is getting curiouser and curiouser. Our Knight came with two Duo-Therm ACs: a 13.5 in the front and a 600312.32 (11.0 BTU maybe?) in the back. That may have been an option. Each has its own thermostat, and the front thermostat also controls the furnace.

While this discussion is interesting, in my uneducated opinion it is moot. I am pretty sure that, while it is possible the Honeywell might have an issue, my choice of that thermostat is not the problem since it worked fine for so long. All indications seem to point toward a stuck relay or a faulty control board in the AC.

Aquahot AHE-100-02s leaking coolant at filler neck
joefromperry

Hi, Old. I had removed the unit from the coach, and then opened / removed the case. I pressure tested the unit then, and that's when I saw it leaked from the neck. The filler top came off pretty easily, as there was hardly any solder there. I couldn't fix it, and that's when I took it in to my radiator guy, who silver-soldered it back on. I concur with Paul's suggestion to join the above forum, although Roger was absolutely no help to me. He does have a non-solder replacement for the filler top, if you don't want to pull the whole thing out, but it's around $240. Let me know if I can answer any more questions.

By the way, I have it all reinstalled and everything works as it should. I did have to replace the whole exhaust, as it was so rusted that it broke during removal. I had a muffler shop bend me a new piece; I heat-wrapped it and installed it.

Gary 05 AMB DST

Ugly Shield, N Fort Meyers, $1200, one day. Going there in October.

Gary 05 AMB DST

Grampy OG

I was taken to the cleaners by some "GYPSY" company that destroyed the front of my coach. Now the lowest estimate that I have received in Phoenix to repaint only the front cap is $10,000.... So  I have a coach that has a totally crappy looking front end. 

Be careful who you choose. 

Sad in Phoenix

Ken

BrianD

Ugly shield is the best! Great job and reasonable!

Fuel tank leak
Dennis Y

Mine does not look like it can be lowered.  It is setting in an angle iron frame with a couple of bars below the tank.  Everything appears to be welded.

Fuel tank leak
Chuck B

You will be lucky to find a welder who would weld on a fuel tank.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Keyless Entry FOB
Mike H
4 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Mike, doesn't your driver's map light come on when you unlock the entry door at least for a few seconds?

My Essex Keyless Pad operates that way same for the Key Fob.

If you're referring to those gooseneck lights I see in some other coaches, our coach doesn't have map lights.

Fuel tank leak
Dennis Y

What are my other options?

ok-rver

Found this document. I believe this is the leveling valve used on our coaches. Found the valve for $80 on Amazon.

HRS Hadley-450-leveling valve.pdf

Fuel tank leak
klcdenver

.You can just weld it in place. Disconnect all batteries and place welder ground close to where it needs repaired. Open fuel cap and run a car exhaust to it running with a semi enclosed hose. After about 30 minutes it should be pretty warm and you can weld on it. Talk to a few welding shops in your area and I am sure you can find one that knows how to do it this way.

If you are scared to have it welded on. Another solution is to use an epoxy steel product by JB Weld where you clean the area and just press it in place even with a leaking area.

Keyless Entry FOB
Dr4Film

No gooseneck on my map light. Mine is mounted high on the bottom of the overhead cabinets above the driver's side console. It lights up when I unlock the entry door.

Keyless Entry FOB
Mike H
3 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

No gooseneck on my map light. Mine is mounted high on the bottom of the overhead cabinets above the driver's side console. It lights up when I unlock the entry door.

OK, I have those on both the driver and passenger side but they have their own switches in the consoles next to the seats.  I have to reach inside after I open the door to turn on the one over the passenger seat.

Drivers Console_1_s_Ceiling Light.jpg

Passenger Console_1_s_Ceiling Light.jpg

Ray Davis
2 hours ago, Grampy OG said:

I was taken to the cleaners by some "GYPSY" company that destroyed the front of my coach. Now the lowest estimate that I have received in Phoenix to repaint only the front cap is $10,000.... So  I have a coach that has a totally crappy looking front end. 

Be careful who you choose. 

Sad in Phoenix

Ken

Ken,  I have heard good things about the paint shop in Algodones Mex across from Yuma.   That's not a great distance from Phoenix.   Sorry I can't tell you how to get in touch with them but you can probably just Google and find them.   I was told he would meet you at the casino on this side, discuss what's to be done, and quote the price.

I wonder if they allow crossing back and forth now, they used to.  There would be literally hundreds if not thousands a day buying drugs, eye glasses, dental work, lunch, and trinkets.   Algodones is a small very safe little town,  not scary at all.

Chuck B

Do yourself a favor and find a shop that sprays pick up truck bed liners.  Some shops has the spray in colors.  The liner spray is textured.  It can be washed with a brush making it easy to get the bugs off.  Spray it on the front cap from the bottom of the windshield down and from each front cap side where the front cap is attached to the side walls.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

JDCrow
1 minute ago, Chuck B said:

Do yourself a favor and find a shop that sprays pick up truck bed liners.  Some shops has the spray in colors.  The liner spray is textured.  It can be washed with a brush making it easy to get the bugs off.  Spray it on the front cap from the bottom of the windshield down and from each front cap side where the front cap is attached to the side walls.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Ugg, there is a shop in Yuma doing this, and no offense, it’s hideous. 

67126389-EC02-4AED-8764-9335501185DE.jpeg

DCBC108B-1497-49C7-B8A5-3FEC087DC86A.jpeg

C0F06F35-B83E-4F4A-A004-E80483F47C6A.jpeg

Chuck B

UGGG!!! is correct.  Why did they use the color black.  The coach I saw had the color in their job including matches of the original colors.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

JDCrow
5 minutes ago, Chuck B said:

UGGG!!! is correct.  Why did they use the color black.  The coach I saw had the color in their job including matches of the original colors.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

You can check out other jobs they did 

https://www.yumarhinolinings.com/gallery

Gary Cole
On 9/11/2021 at 5:52 PM, Nevada Rob said:

located 16 air leaks 

Robert you are the man. I'm going to quit feeling sorry for myself , suck it up, and get to work.

Gary Cole
On 8/5/2021 at 5:46 AM, ok-rver said:

I know that getting the end of the tubing square when cutting without burrs.  Wondering if the PVC tubing cutters would be a good way to trim off a little to restab fittings?

Mike I use a PVC cutter. I also put a slight bevel on the tubing and use a lubricant such as dish soap such that it does not cut the O ring when I insert the tube. There are water based lubricants which are specifically designed for the process. I also make certain that I have a couple of inches of straight tubing coincident with the fitting plane and secure the tubing with ultraviolet resistant tie wraps. The process only takes a few minutes if one makes sure that he has everything he needs before he crawls under the coach. I've observed instrumentation technicians doing their work and they consider a leak of any kind a complete disgrace. RV manufacturers must have a somewhat different philosophy.

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.