Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/544-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Trailer Brake Controller Wiring
Ivylog
STEERING PROBLEMS
dl_racing427
dl_racing427
Keyless Entry FOB
Dr4Film
Slide Sealant Caulking
isptbart
Dometic roof A/C: compressor, no fan
Jim McGarvie
klcdenver
STEERING PROBLEMS
Ivylog
Chuck B
Slide Sealant Caulking
Chuck B
Keyless Entry FOB
jacwjames
Fuel tank leak
wayne.cerven@gmail.com
Slide Sealant Caulking
JDCrow
Protective Film Removal Help 2002 Dynasty
Oregon04Windsor
winds shield wiper motor
dandick66
TriMark bay door handle broke
pwhittle
Why in the hell.....I mean heck
Brett63
joefromperry
Ivan K
Slide Sealant Caulking
isptbart

Aquahot AHE-100-02s leaking coolant at filler neck
old5foot

Thanks for the info. Joe. I nipped the end of the surge tank supply hose and reconnected it. So far so good.  Figured a 16 year old connection might be the problem and it seems to be.

Rogers $240 sounds reasonable if it can be done while the unit is in place.  Appreciate the update.

Ivylog
14 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

The Electric Brake Wire should be a heavier gauge wire and therefore much thicker as it has to carry more amps than the other wires needed for the brake controller.

Thicker than the Red and Black?

STEERING PROBLEMS
dl_racing427

Also, make sure the box itself is precisely centered when adjusting, then use the drag link adjustment to center the wheels.

dl_racing427
14 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

The Electric Brake Wire should be a heavier gauge wire and therefore much thicker as it has to carry more amps than the other wires needed for the brake controller.

Actually, the Red wire should be as large as the blue, as it supplies power to the whole system.

Dr4Film

Jim,

You are correct, after looking at the brochure in detail it was an option to have the second smaller AC in the rear on it's own thermostat.

I would take you own advice and start digging into the rooftop AC components to see which one has failed that is causing your problem. Hopefully you may be lucky and find parts for such an old unit or you will have to upgrade to a new AC.

Good luck!

RR8S chassis leaning on air bags after shutdown
Dr4Film

There is a difference between Ride Height Air Valves and Air Leveling Valves.

Sure would like to know exactly which system we are trying to fix for the OP.

Plus there are two different brands that were used on our coaches, HWH and Valid. One is made it the US and one is from Canada.

Keyless Entry FOB
Dr4Film

Well, I guess sometimes older may be better.

We have ceiling light switches, one three-way at the entry door and one three-way in the bedroom. Those turn on the three florescent ceiling fixtures in the salon area.

The two Map Lights, one over the driver's console is controlled by the headlight switch and the one over the passenger console has it's own switch.

It's the driver's Map Light that turns on whenever the entry door is opened by the Keypad or the Key Fob.

In your situation, is it possible to install a relay to trigger one of those map lights to come on for a short period of time by using the fourth button on your Key Fob?

Slide Sealant Caulking
isptbart
On 9/11/2021 at 8:23 PM, jbret06 said:

Hello,  I have a 2008 Knight PDQ and need some help identifying the type of  'sealant caulking' Monaco used under the slides.  I've attached three pictures.  This is looking up under the roadside bedroom slide.  On our last trip to the midwest, I had a leak on the frontside bottom of this slide and upon inspection it looks to me like there are some holes and voids in the caulking right at the corner.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

James Bradley   

1451.jpg

1452.jpg

1453.jpg

James - I'm not sure of the caulking, but from your first photo you have a potential MAJOR problem beginning to show on your exterior slide floor. Monaco's with the narrow edge trim are known to fail, resulting in leaks & then major deterioration of the floor. Your first photo shows the beginning of such a failure. I had to install S/S Guardian Plates (from Talin industries (352) 942-2653) on my 4 slide exterior floors to properly seal & prevent damages. I suggest you check this area out immediately! Since I found out about the issue, I look at other Monaco products & the majority of coaches with the narrow edge trim are failing in various stages.

Bart from VA., 07 HR 42PLQ w/GMC 2500HD in tow

Jim McGarvie
33 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Jim,

You are correct, after looking at the brochure in detail it was an option to have the second smaller AC in the rear on it's own thermostat.

I would take you own advice and start digging into the rooftop AC components to see which one has failed that is causing your problem. Hopefully you may be lucky and find parts for such an old unit or you will have to upgrade to a new AC.

Good luck!

Thanks Richard. I will keep my fingers crossed. I was able to find all the replaceable parts to rebuild our equally-old Atwood furnace, so maybe I'll get lucky. If not, it probably wouldn't hurt (except the pocketbook) to replace the 20-year-old AC.

David Pratt

If you are anywhere east of the Mississippi River there is a company called Dazzling Details, They are based out of Orlando Florida and will come to you to Remove and Replace the film. Normally it is a two day adventure. They do not use Diamond Shield which is only 4 mills thick. They use the 3M film which is 8Mills thick. They will also do any paint correction before applying the 3M film. They have done many coaches in our group. They did my 05 Exec over 7years ago and it still looks like new.

They are Listed in our Vendors list.

Nevada Rob
9 hours ago, Gary Cole said:

Robert you are the man. I'm going to quit feeling sorry for myself , suck it up, and get to work.

Thank you sir. Most were leaks that needed a good amount of very soapy water solution. Most of the leaks were from the fittings and pressure valves on the tanks. Not one bag was leaking. Like many others I put together a series of 2 x 10 boards to make ramps. Drove the large unit up on the ramps so when the air bags dropped from taking off the lines my butt would not get squished. The air tank water drain valves were leaking front and rear. Good luck, take your time and enjoy the  beautiful underbelly of the these mechanical beast we drive around. They are complicated and simple at the same time. No wonder some guys name their coaches with the name of a woman.

klcdenver

Does anyone know where the 12 volt power source for the center connector on the trailer plug starts and where the fuse is located?

Thanks

STEERING PROBLEMS
Ivylog

I would back off the adjusting screw 45 degrees … mark so you can go back if no Improvement.

Chuck B

On the 2004 Windsor the 12 vdc comes from the black box number one located in the front run bay.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Slide Sealant Caulking
Chuck B

Monaco's fix for that was to install additional rubber slide seal gaskets to the area.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Keyless Entry FOB
jacwjames

One thing you can do with the key pad is reprogram the access code to start with either a 1 or 9.  That way when you start to enter the code you just press that number and the keypad lights up to see the rest of the numbers.  That's what we do and it works pretty well. 

We don't even use the key fobs or carry keys, just use the key pad. 

We do have one window rigged so in an emergency we can access the coach though if we are locked out. 

2002 Dip, first MH to cut our teeth on
Rick A

All I can say is this. 
“The Complete Guide to the RV Universe.” By JDCrow

What a great job. 

JDCrow
23 minutes ago, Rick A said:

All I can say is this. 
“The Complete Guide to the RV Universe.” By JDCrow

What a great job. 

LOL, well a crash course on what it looks like under the skin I guess. 

Honestly this is my life. I tear everything apart. I’m not the brightest light, I have to know, or teach myself how it all works. If I can understand it, then I have more confidence in it. I hate being uniformed on my stuff, or relying on someone to do the work. I do realize that I’m getting older, and there are smarter and more qualified people to do the work, but I have still know what needs to be done, and the difference between bad work and good work preformed on my stuff. 

As they say, blessing and curse. I have 2 other big projects, one almost done (Bronco) and 1 functioning (excavator) as soon as I’m content on the Dip. 

Again, thanks for the kind words, and I hope that this thread is of benefit to some. 

ok-rver

I have hydraulic jacks for stationary leveling of coach. The system I am troubleshooting is the ride height system to the suspension air bags. Will use ride height system in the future.

Ivylog
On 8/5/2021 at 2:00 PM, Gary Cole said:

My winter project is going to be hydraulic rear lift for a motorcycle. 

Unless it’s a small bike you run the risk of overloading your rear 20K axle. What is your rear axle weight? Maybe start a new thread with your axle weights and bike weight.

Fuel tank leak
wayne.cerven@gmail.com

JB weld or find a place that sells spill kits for fuel and they will have an amazing sealant that works fantastic, we use it on tanker trucks/ skid tanks for the back of pick up trucks (contractors) for portable fueling, it can be leaking and this stuff will stop it.

Wayne

1999 Signature Caesar 

Slide Sealant Caulking
JDCrow
4 hours ago, Chuck B said:

Monaco's fix for that was to install additional rubber slide seal gaskets to the area.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

For the faulty cup? 

Oregon04Windsor

Just had it done at my body shop while having some rear damage repaired.  They said the secret is spraying the 3M down with oven cleaner and letting it sit a couple days.  Peeled right off then they cleaned off the residue with plastic razor blades and 3M citrus adhesive remover.  Looks soooo much better now!

winds shield wiper motor
dandick66

On my 2012 Diplomat I was able to see the motor and get the manufacturer and part number.  It was accessible from the front with the generator extended.   I thought my motor was going bad, but I disconnected the linkage and greased it  and everything works fine now.  

TriMark bay door handle broke
pwhittle

We were camping this weekend and it was time to dump and refill the fresh water tank.

I pulled the paddle handle, and it partially broke. Fortunately I was planning on upgrading to chrome handles and I had the replacement on hand to study and replace the old one when I got it out.

The paddle operates a shaft with a cam on the end that rotates a plate that has four arms with holes for various installations. There is also a locking mechanism that prevents the plate from rotating when locked.

One end of the shaft is round (approximately 8.7mm) and the other is a Double-D (approximately 5mm across the flats).

I studied the replacement and was planning on drilling some holes to be able to rotate the plate, but when I examined the the failed lock I found I could pry the old paddle off and turn the shaft with a 1/4” wrench to get the bay door open and replace the paddle mechanism. I did have to drill out the hole that the lock mechanism shaft went into It was a little too small.

This handle is on one of the bays that cantilevers up. Note that Monaco riveted a plate over the lower section to provide somewhere on the handle to pull the bay door down.

Paul

4C2DC48A-96E0-4262-AF9A-E2E26D8A8A29.jpeg

A76FCA08-7FFF-4A4F-976C-949149F1F97A.jpeg

E6456319-5081-4E2B-A23B-9D8DB1008EF1.jpeg

C4DBA6BB-CCC2-4CA1-9B83-92F0FB78E9BB.jpeg

63F973F0-AC8E-41D4-9E24-37E5E432D74D.jpeg

CAD75222-2844-4C4B-8F59-712C04DEEF04.jpeg

7D92B581-1159-4BA7-AE61-E06D280FE770.jpeg

A348BFB7-F865-4836-B744-7AFD4D0B2A22.jpeg

75F8AFDD-547E-4FA4-9072-6E7E816A7595.jpeg

Brett63

Why in the world would Monaco not put a door lock/unlock button in the front of a Signature baffles the hell outa me. Key fob or go to the bedroom to unlock the door and bay doors. SMH There should be one up front somewhere, like maybe by the passenger seat.......

JDCrow

Well, decided to pull the trigger and move the chassis batteries mapping out the bay for the coach battery(s)

546074E3-92FA-4007-96E9-0016F448BE4F.jpeg

72B6C16B-36D1-48D4-A0E9-2388174C3502.jpeg

joefromperry

I have a 2003 Signature, and my door lock/unlock keypad is in front. 

Ivan K

Yeah, that is weird. Ours is where it should be.

Slide Sealant Caulking
isptbart
14 hours ago, isptbart said:

James - I'm not sure of the caulking, but from your first photo you have a potential MAJOR problem beginning to show on your exterior slide floor. Monaco's with the narrow edge trim are known to fail, resulting in leaks & then major deterioration of the floor. Your first photo shows the beginning of such a failure. I had to install S/S Guardian Plates (from Talin industries (352) 942-2653) on my 4 slide exterior floors to properly seal & prevent damages. I suggest you check this area out immediately! Since I found out about the issue, I look at other Monaco products & the majority of coaches with the narrow edge trim are failing in various stages.

James - I attached 4 photos of my Guardian Plates for your info!

Bart from VA

On 9/11/2021 at 8:23 PM, jbret06 said:

Hello,  I have a 2008 Knight PDQ and need some help identifying the type of  'sealant caulking' Monaco used under the slides.  I've attached three pictures.  This is looking up under the roadside bedroom slide.  On our last trip to the midwest, I had a leak on the frontside bottom of this slide and upon inspection it looks to me like there are some holes and voids in the caulking right at the corner.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

James Bradley   

1451.jpg

1452.jpg

1453.jpg

20210913_085758_resized.jpg

20210913_085818_resized.jpg

20210913_085852_resized.jpg

20210913_085901_resized.jpg

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.