Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/545-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Why in the hell.....I mean heck
Dr4Film
Chargerman
STEERING PROBLEMS
ok-rver
Protective Film Removal Help 2002 Dynasty
bill_mary_matt
Brett63
rpasetto
Rich Cutler
Cubflyer
Brett63
Chargerman
Dr4Film
Chargerman
winds shield wiper motor
Paul A.
My Bedroom Road Side Slide.
Gospel
STEERING PROBLEMS
Doug Hoegh
Stands
saflyer
Brett63
Entry door
Corkman
Hypoxia
Ivylog
Brett63
vito.a
Entry Door Grab Bar
Poohbear
Gary M
What is this?
stillrunning_60@hotmail.com
Dr4Film
Chargerman
Coach Remodel
Brett63
What is this?
just_john1
What is this?
Dr4Film
Coach Remodel
pennzo
Coach Remodel
Dr4Film
Fuel tank leak
Yoaks5
Entry door
isptbart
Coach Remodel
Brett63
Confussion, a place to start......
woodylmiller

Dr4Film

Guys,

From what I can assume from his post, he is complaining about not having an electronic button on the INSIDE at the front to lock or unlock the entry door.

If we are inside the coach we always lock the entry door using the deadbolt which is a manual VERY secure lock. Unlike the electronic one which you have no idea who may have a key to your door and bay doors as they are standard RV keys with only so many different combinations unlike residential entry doors.

With a little ingenuity I would imagine it would be easy enough to install one.

Chargerman

I agree to what Brett is saying, especially for the bay doors. I always have to go for the key fob to unlock or lock the doors. It’s great when coming to the Coach but it would be nice to be able to unlock the bay doors as you are going down the stairs. I would add a switch in a minute if someone knew where to tie this in. 

STEERING PROBLEMS
ok-rver

Grease zerk at shaft of TRW box. Mine still had the rubber cap on so probably had never been greased. I have tightened my backlash almost a full turn, still have a little play. I shot 3 squeezes from a small grease gun into the zerk and it seems to have reduced the effort to turn the wheel. TRW bulletin states do NOT over grease as it will contaminate hydraulic oil.

bill_mary_matt

I removed mine on our 2001 dip le a few years  ago. I purchased a steam wall paper remover, a good adhesive remover and orange plastic razor blades. I broke it up into probably 5 sessions. Once I got the hang of it it was easy work. You just take your time. It turned out really well with no paint damage. Happy to provide product links for anyone interested. 
Bill

Before and after 49AD3D2D-5F88-458C-AB80-37112ADD6C37.thumb.jpeg.b91a76ff2cbcaef88720cb58bee8df6d.jpeg27626BD2-FD96-4B9C-8AF6-CF6F97BD9293.thumb.jpeg.fddaa9104ebf8b64dc865d523ac4112a.jpeg

Brett63
32 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Guys,

From what I can assume from his post, he is complaining about not having an electronic button on the INSIDE at the front to lock or unlock the entry door.

If we are inside the coach we always lock the entry door using the deadbolt which is a manual VERY secure lock. Unlike the electronic one which you have no idea who may have a key to your door and bay doors as they are standard RV keys with only so many different combinations unlike residential entry doors.

With a little ingenuity I would imagine it would be easy enough to install one.

And while a deadbolt is very secure, it doesn't matter how many deadbolts you have, it won't lock or unlock your bay doors. So instead of worrying about whether your door is locked let's go back to why isn't there a door/baydoor lock/unlock button of some sort in the front of an 09 Signature. In order to unlock my bay doors if I am outside, I have to either come in, sometimes dirty and sweaty and walk to the bedroom, OR come in and find the keys and fumble with the fob to unlock the bays OR carry a bay door key around my neck so I can unlock them....lol

rpasetto

Here's a screenshot of the Door Lock page from the 05 Sig WD book, if it helps.

image.thumb.png.90bc5611a6632496e1d1891a9866b9b0.png

Rich Cutler

With my Windsor, at night I hang out the door, use the key pad to lock all, close the door and set the door and deadbolt.  The key pad will not lock the door with it open and me hanging out.  I do not have anything in the back to lock or unlock, nor in the front.  Yes, we have a key fob, but never use it as it is too heavy and we already have too many fobs and keys in our pockets.  We just use the key pad for the Windsor.

Cubflyer

We are supposed to lock our bay doors???   I do not even know which key works on the basement doors.....

Ken

Brett63
31 minutes ago, Chargerman said:

I agree to what Brett is saying, especially for the bay doors. I always have to go for the key fob to unlock or lock the doors. It’s great when coming to the Coach but it would be nice to be able to unlock the bay doors as you are going down the stairs. I would add a switch in a minute if someone knew where to tie this in. 

You and me both. And before someone says well you have a push pad you can unlock the bay doors from on the outside........I don't even use that to unlock the main door.

Chargerman

Thanks for posting the schematic Rick!  Looks simple to add a switch. Now I need to find those two replays. On the road this week on Assateague Island. I will post when I find the relays. Guessing they are in the front electrical bay. 

Dr4Film
6 minutes ago, Brett63 said:

And while a deadbolt is very secure, it doesn't matter how many deadbolts you have, it won't lock or unlock your bay doors. So instead of worrying about whether your door is locked let's go back to why isn't there a door/baydoor lock/unlock button of some sort in the front of an 09 Signature. In order to unlock my bay doors if I am outside, I have to either come in, sometimes dirty and sweaty and walk to the bedroom, OR come in and find the keys and fumble with the fob to unlock the bays OR carry a bay door key around my neck so I can unlock them....lol

Well, IF you had been a little more CLEARER about what you were complaining about in your very FIRST post, you may have gotten some better responses.

So now it is the OUTSIDE that you are wanting a button.

Our Keyless Entry Pad on the OUTSIDE has a button to unlock the bay doors, why doesn't yours have one? Or maybe you should review your Keyless Entry Manual to see where it is located. Both Essex and Trimark both have that capability I believe.

Chargerman
13 minutes ago, Brett63 said:

You and me both. And before someone says well you have a push pad you can unlock the bay doors from on the outside........I don't even use that to unlock the main door.

That’s funny. I never use the touchpad either as mine in not working and haven’t bothered to replace it as I would never use it. It still puzzles me why Ford continues to put them on vehicles today 

RR8S chassis leaning on air bags after shutdown
Gary Cole

Dick I'm thinking along the lines of a dual purpose bike, street legal with off road capability.  Not something I would use to carry an 800lb bagger on. Just don't like the nuisance of towing an auto or trailer. 

With reference to other tales, I have never observed an RV being weighed with hopes of it being 1000 lbs overweight. I suspect they are more interested in rock haulers and other sort running 40,000 lbs overweight while dodging the scales.

Dr4Film

Rhino Lining is NOT what you want to put on the front of your coach. There is a BIG difference chemically between the lining used for trucks and the protective shield used for the front of RV's.

The only company that I know that will do it correctly is located in Texas. They have two shops and are called North Texas RV located in Sherman and Krum TX.

Here are a few photos of a previous members coach who had it done before selling his coach.

P3150314.JPG

P3150316.JPG

P3150323.JPG

Painted Coach Bra.jpg

winds shield wiper motor
Paul A.
On 9/12/2021 at 3:29 PM, Bobbyboy said:

I have an 08 dynasty.  The windshield wiper motor died on me today in a thunderstorm.  Fortunately I was able to get off the hwy until it stopped raining.  Does anyone kknow the make, model of the motor.  Doesn't look to be a big job to replace it.  And yes, I checked the fuse.  I am fairly certain it is the motor as it just slowed down until it quit.  Ran for about 10 minutes then slowed down and hardly moved, then quit  altogether.  Thanks

Bob L

Windshield Wiper Parts

Gospel

My bedroom road side slide is cable operated, when it come in on the LHS facing the inside of the slide it has a catching sound, very loud, sound like it catching, still working fine but I know something is not right, any suggestion. Thanks

STEERING PROBLEMS
Doug Hoegh

After the install did you set the poppets?

Stands
saflyer

I checked out 6 and 12 ton stands online. They extend to 24”. I think they should be placed under the raised rails either in front of the rear axle or behind the front wheels or both. Am I right? If so first that’s a real stretch subjecting me to being under the coach while I’m doing it, negating their safety benefit. Second, it looks like the raised rails sit more than 24” above the ground when the coach is at ride height so the jacks wouldn’t be much help. I haven’t actually measured it because of the above safety concern. Thoughts?

Brett63
2 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Well, IF you had been a little more CLEARER about what you were complaining about in your very FIRST post, you may have gotten some better responses.

So now it is the OUTSIDE that you are wanting a button.

Our Keyless Entry Pad on the OUTSIDE has a button to unlock the bay doors, why doesn't yours have one? Or maybe you should review your Keyless Entry Manual to see where it is located. Both Essex and Trimark both have that capability I believe.

And Sir if you would read the second line of my original post, which shouldn't be hard as there are only 1.5 lines instead of being a jackass you would see that the 2nd, 4th and 5th words of that line clearly say door and bay doors.....But that's ok. I will take your advice as noted and carry on.

Entry door
Corkman
On 9/5/2021 at 6:31 PM, Steve P said:

I'm glad to have read your (Steve P) post about the "missing" bushing. I too do not have a bushing on mine, I was wondering if I ever had one.

Steve P - did you make a final determination that you, in fact, were missing the bushing? Did you find one, or make one, that worked, installed it, and it solved the problem? Before I go down that rabbit hole I wanted to see what you have learned?

Hypoxia
17 hours ago, Brett63 said:

Why in the world would Monaco not put a door lock/unlock button in the front of a Signature baffles the hell outa me. Key fob or go to the bedroom to unlock the door and bay doors. SMH There should be one up front somewhere, like maybe by the passenger seat.......

I also find it annoying, I carry the fob mainly for the bay doors.  It isn't too inconvenient to use the outside keypad when on that side of the coach but I do find it silly to have to use the bedroom switch to unlock or lock everything.  I have adapted and unlock the doors when I get out of bed.  I guess I could put the spare fob near the cockpit to alleviate my frustration :classic_wacko:

Ivylog

Back when Monaco would fix one item for free at a rally, you could leave the door locked (not the deadbolt) as one of 5 keys would unlock it let the repair person in.

Brett63
32 minutes ago, Hypoxia said:

I also find it annoying, I carry the fob mainly for the bay doors.  It isn't too inconvenient to use the outside keypad when on that side of the coach but I do find it silly to have to use the bedroom switch to unlock or lock everything.  I have adapted and unlock the doors when I get out of bed.  I guess I could put the spare fob near the cockpit to alleviate my frustration :classic_wacko:

I only have one fob. Not sure I can buy another or not. Have not looked into it. But I guess that would be a remedy. Velcro a spare with the switches at the passenger seat.

20 minutes ago, Ivylog said:

Back when Monaco would fix one item for free at a rally, you could leave the door locked (not the deadbolt) as one of 5 keys would unlock it let the repair person in.

Agreed, I think there are only like 3-5 keys for RV's out there.

RR8S chassis leaning on air bags after shutdown
Gary Cole

Should have responded on another thread as suggested.

vito.a

One of the first things I did on our last two coaches was reprogram the key pad along with new key fobs.  

If I need to unlock the bay doors, I just press the button on the key fob.  It just doesn't get any easier than that. 

I can also use the digital key pad to unlock the bay doors.  

Entry Door Grab Bar
Poohbear

Same here mine had a small bulb of some type that burned out a d I put some leds in and it works great now.

Gary M

https://www.balrvproducts.com/products/oem/accuslide/index.shtml

This is the company that makes the cable slide. YouTube has a lot of videos on those slides. My 09 cable slide is on the curb side.

What is this?
stillrunning_60@hotmail.com

On the bottom of my fuel tank I have this rubber (I think) type of plug. Is this a drain plug for my fuel tank. Also after returning from filling my fuel tank I parked the coach on a small slope for an hour or two before coming out to level it. On the low side of coach fuel was leaking  out around the fuel cap and it was tight. Is it normal for fuel caps to begin leaking and if so Can these fuel caps be replace.

image.jpeg

Dr4Film
4 hours ago, Brett63 said:

And Sir if you would read the second line of my original post, which shouldn't be hard as there are only 1.5 lines instead of being a jackass you would see that the 2nd, 4th and 5th words of that line clearly say door and bay doors.....But that's ok. I will take your advice as noted and carry on.

Your first post implies that you want a Bay Door Lock/Unlock button on the inside near the entry door. Then your second post complains that there is no button on the outside of the coach to unlock/lock the bay doors.

SO which is it. 😵 There are solutions for either one.

Doesn't do any good to complain about Monaco today since they have been out of business since 2009. Wow, that's when YOUR coach was built. By then they were throwing whatever parts they had on the shelves to build their coaches. I guess the tech's building yours were more worried about their jobs than the customer who was going to end up with the coach.

Chargerman

Can’t we all just get along???  After all we are all here because of a common interest

Play nice boys. 

Coach Remodel
Brett63

Does anyone have any reccomendations for coach remodelers in the Tampa/Orando/Ocala, FL areas? Need, or rather would like to make a few interior changes.

Thx

What is this?
just_john1

Most fuel caps are vented. If they are air tight, the tank will collapse as the fuel is used up. I know because it happened to me.

What is this?
Dr4Film

Larry,

There is a name for that type of plug but I don't remember what it is. Possibly some one here will remember.

My diesel fuel caps do not vent or leak when tight. On numerous occasions when I find really cheap diesel I will lean the coach down using my HWH air leveling control panel on the opposite side where I plan to pump fuel. I have done this pumping from either side and have never had any fuel leak out and the tank has been super filled.

Not sure what your fuel cap looks like but here is a Link with photo of what is used on my fuel tank.

https://tinyurl.com/4wnxchjv

Coach Remodel
pennzo

I had had work done at Creative Coaches and was very pleased. 

http://www.creativecoach.com/

Coach Remodel
Dr4Film

Don't know if Classic Coach Works still has a shop in Lakeland FL or whether they moved the entire shop to Ormond Beach FL but they have a great reputation for RV renovations and upgrades.

Fuel tank leak
Yoaks5

I had a leaking fuel tank on another coach and tried a couple different epoxy type repairs with no luck. They stopped it for awhile but in the end it started leaking again (the last one on the day the new owner came to pick up the coach). I was able to find a shop that would weld it but I had to remove the tank and take it to him. 

Entry door
isptbart
On 9/1/2021 at 9:48 PM, isptbart said:

Hi All! I experienced the same problem, same symptoms & difficult to open from the outside, I did all of the external & then internal adjustments. Finally found out about the brass bushing & mine was almost completely worn out. I turned another bushing to spec. & that solved all of my problems. Sure was happy to just have to replace a simple brass bushing!

Bart from VA

07 HR 42PDQ w/ GMC 2500 HD in tow

While I turned my own bronze bushing, I later found an off the shelf bushing which I think is close to the required dimensions in order to work. It is a Hillman product from Lowes Item # 215870  Model #882991. It now shows as having 2 set screws, but mine has no set screws. Came as a package of 2. My door would not work properly w/o a bushing & trying to get the door latch adjusted w/o a bushing might work, but steel to steel would cause unnecessary wear & tear on your latch assembly.

6 hours ago, Corkman said:

I'm glad to have read your (Steve P) post about the "missing" bushing. I too do not have a bushing on mine, I was wondering if I ever had one.

Steve P - did you make a final determination that you, in fact, were missing the bushing? Did you find one, or make one, that worked, installed it, and it solved the problem? Before I go down that rabbit hole I wanted to see what you have learned?

While I turned my own bronze bushing, I later found an off the shelf bushing which I think is close to the required dimensions in order to work. It is a Hillman product from Lowes Item # 215870  Model #882991. It now shows as having 2 set screws, but mine has no set screws. Came as a package of 2. My door would not work properly w/o a bushing & trying to get the door latch adjusted w/o a bushing might work, but steel to steel would cause unnecessary wear & tear on your latch assembly.

Bart from VA

Coach Remodel
Brett63
50 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Don't know if Classic Coach Works still has a shop in Lakeland FL or whether they moved the entire shop to Ormond Beach FL but they have a great reputation for RV renovations and upgrades.

Only place on their webpage is Ormond Beach. I have been looking at them. I have heard they did pretty good work. 

Confussion, a place to start......
woodylmiller

After getting a flat tire while stopped for dinner we had to boondock on the side of the road for the night.  I have 4 Trojan 8D AGM's and 4 Lifeline 4D AGM's which are my chassis batteries and  the Trojans are house.  I turn on the inverter, Magnum, and my biggest load is the residential frig installed at the factory in 09.  Monitor shows the total load pulling 18-19 amps.  Voltage started at 12.4 and began to drop as I watched.  Turned the inverter off and ran the gen all night.

So, we are midway to our winter destination where we will be for 6 months at which time I will start to determine what is wrong with the charging/battery bank(s), inverter, Big Boy BIRD or ???   Those Trojan's 8D's are big batteries, 4 should easily go for hours before the voltage is dropping below 12 volts in the matter of a few minutes when the biggest current draw is a residential refer.  Add to that, the monitor is showing the charging is in a "float" state when I just drew the batteries down to just above 12 volts.  Don't mind spending the money to fix it right, just don't want to spend on something that isn't the problem.

Where would y'all start?  Thanks,

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty Regal IV

PS: those TPMS systems works, it was dark after stopping for dinner and did not see the flat on the tag, and I mean flat.  Bead broken and the wheel sitting on the ground.  Started up to go and the monitor went off.  Saved a ton on money on a new tire, wheel and the fiberglass damage had we driven off.

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.