Tires

daveyjo

I am facing the replacement of all my tires on my 2005 HR Scepter soon.  It takes 295x80R22.5 tires,  It has Michelin XVA Energy tires right now, and I am looking for replacements.  I had great luck with Totos on a previous coach, as well as Michelin XVA Energy tires, so I am considering both.  I belonged to FMCA and Monaco International (MI)  when I bought the Michelins with MI's discount program. 

So, I am interested in the FMCA/MI current discount program (is it worth the cost to sign up with them?), and I am interested in which tire to buy.  Michelin has 3 RV tires in 295x80R22.5 size   (X® COACH HL Z,   X® MULTIWAY 3D XZE®,   and XZA2® ENERGY (what I currently have).]   I can't find a Toyo tire in that size, so maybe Toyo is out of consideration?

Any thoughts or comments?  Can anyone tell me what the FMCA/MI prices are?

Dave Jones

1 hour ago, daveyjo said:

I am facing the replacement of all my tires on my 2005 HR Scepter soon.  It takes 295x80R22.5 tires,  It has Michelin XVA Energy tires right now, and I am looking for replacements.  I had great luck with Totos on a previous coach, as well as Michelin XVA Energy tires, so I am considering both.  I belonged to FMCA and Monaco International (MI)  when I bought the Michelins with MI's discount program. 

So, I am interested in the FMCA/MI current discount program (is it worth the cost to sign up with them?), and I am interested in which tire to buy.  Michelin has 3 RV tires in 295x80R22.5 size   (X® COACH HL Z,   X® MULTIWAY 3D XZE®,   and XZA2® ENERGY (what I currently have).]   I can't find a Toyo tire in that size, so maybe Toyo is out of consideration?

Dave Jones

I just got 6 new Michelin XLine Energy Z tires (275/80R-22.5) and saved about $80 per tire using the FMCA tire replacement program 

Dave, in answer to your post. Yes, IMHO, joining FMCA is well worth for the savings on tires. They discount Michelin, Hankook and Continentals. I've had Connies and found the ride harsh so I went back to Michelins and I'm very satisfied with them.  Below is their current price on Michelins. Hope this helps in your decision.....Dennis

Untitled.jpg

10 hours ago, Executive45 said:

Dave, in answer to your post. Yes, IMHO, joining FMCA is well worth for the savings on tires. They discount Michelin, Hankook and Continentals. I've had Connies and found the ride harsh so I went back to Michelins and I'm very satisfied with them.  Below is their current price on Michelins. Hope this helps in your decision.....Dennis

Dennis & Dave

Often Sam's Club sells Michelin tires for a lower price than the FMCA tire replacement program  prices.

https://www.samsclub.com/c/tire-search/1056?mid=hp_mte_191218_tires&xid=hpg_headerGrid_12_3

Mel, while I shop at Sam's Club often there are a couple of reasons why I won't buy certain things from them. It pays to shop around and tailor your needs to what everyone has to offer. My issue with Sams is they can/will order the tires for you but they will not install them. They also will not warranty the tires as they didn't install them. This may present an issue for some, or not, depending on one's preference.  I also don't want to pick up eight of these monsters to take them to another tire shop for installation. Convenience is worth something in my playbook. I checked out Series 31 batteries for my coach too. Sams was $4 cheaper per battery than Batteries Plus for the same product. However, Sams offers a 12 mo warranty and B+ offers an 18 mo warranty. I elected to go with the better warranty. These are simply my opinions and everyone's may differ. Our goal is to inform and be informed. Ultimately, the decision is ours and what's best suited for our individual needs....Stay healthy.....Dennis

Dave, I used the FMCA program for Hankook. Upgraded size from 2.55 to 2.75. Very happy with Hankook tires that replace Michelin. Worth shopping around. You did not mention where you are located. I purchased my Hankook tires from Pete's Tire in SoCAl.

Pat

I’m not sure how accurate this is , but a tire store, which is located in several states (Mavis Tire , Mavistire.com), shows the Toyo  M144, 295/80R22.5, at $369.52 online price in my areas.  You might check this out. That’s a great price but I’m sure mounting/ balancing is additional.

On 3/21/2020 at 1:37 PM, Executive45 said:

Mel, while I shop at Sam's Club often there are a couple of reasons why I won't buy certain things from them. It pays to shop around and tailor your needs to what everyone has to offer. My issue with Sams is they can/will order the tires for you but they will not install them. They also will not warranty the tires as they didn't install them. This may present an issue for some, or not, depending on one's preference.  I also don't want to pick up eight of these monsters to take them to another tire shop for installation. Convenience is worth something in my playbook. I checked out Series 31 batteries for my coach too. Sams was $4 cheaper per battery than Batteries Plus for the same product. However, Sams offers a 12 mo warranty and B+ offers an 18 mo warranty. I elected to go with the better warranty. These are simply my opinions and everyone's may differ. Our goal is to inform and be informed. Ultimately, the decision is ours and what's best suited for our individual needs....Stay healthy.....Dennis

Dennis

Michelin tires are covered  by the Michelin Customer Service warranty....(not by the seller/installer).

https://guide.michelin.com/us/en/contact-us

Guest Cruzbill

I asked Les Schwab in Junction City Or if they participated in the Michelin Advantage (FMCA) program. The dealer said yes, but if you have a problem, you have to go thru FMCA "because that' who sold you the tire". I didn't appreciate the threat.  

58 minutes ago, Mel S - '96 Safari said:

Dennis

Michelin tires are covered  by the Michelin Customer Service warranty....(not by the seller/installer).

https://guide.michelin.com/us/en/contact-us

Mel, I'm aware of that from experience. I also know from experience that Michelin's warranty isn't very good. To warranty the tire, they must contact Michelin FIRST, get their approval, which might take several days and then THEY must send the tire back to Michelin. Sam's Club doesn't get involved with mfg warranty stuff as they carry their OWN warranty, at an additional cost of course. Been there, done that.  I got zip from Sam's and/or Michelin. I still like and run Michelin's on my coach but I disregard their warranty and take my chances that one is not going to fail, and if it does just buy another....Dennis

20 minutes ago, Executive45 said:

Mel, I'm aware of that from experience. I also know from experience that Michelin's warranty isn't very good. To warranty the tire, they must contact Michelin FIRST, get their approval, which might take several days and then THEY must send the tire back to Michelin. Sam's Club doesn't get involved with mfg warranty stuff as they carry their OWN warranty, at an additional cost of course. Been there, done that.  I got zip from Sam's and/or Michelin. I still like and run Michelin's on my coach but I disregard their warranty and take my chances that one is not going to fail, and if it does just buy another....Dennis

Dennis

In 2014,  when I had 6 then 3 year old sidewall cracked Michelin tires replaced by Michelin Customer Care "under warrenty", they sent me to 2 different nearby "Michelin approved" sellers for a quote.

One was Southside Tire,  (in Schofield WI),  who quoted me $2800.00

The other,  (Pomp's tire in Rothschild WI), charged me $854.28.... ($794.28 for the replacement tires & $60.00 for new valve stems)

Davey Jones!  Nice to hear from you again.  I have Toyo's on my 2012 Knight, the same size you're looking for.  And I too belong to FMCA, and Monaco International, and a couple others, but the Toyo's, to my knowledge, are not discounted through these groups.  Bought them a little over a year ago here in western NY.  Probably paid a premium on them too, but everything here in NY costs more ; ) -- BUT -- the Toyo's were much more reasonably priced than any of the Michelin products.  

Wow.  Thanks for all the tips and pricing on Michelin vs. Toyo tires.  I can see that Toyos could be a couple hundred bucks cheaper per tire if I can get them in the twin cities in Minnesota.  I did ask online from one place but got no response so far but with all the turmoil and closed places, maybe it will still happen.

Thanks again, folks.  Stay safe!

Dave Jones

2005 HR Scepter

• Like 1

I just checked on a set of 6 Toyo tires 2 weeks ago, 295/80/22.5 from a local shop here in Knoxville TN.  They wanted ~$3400 out the door, so $567 each.   There is another shop near Seiverville TN that I had gotten a quote from ~3 months ago when I was looking at buying a set that was about the same price.  They all pull from a central warehouse in Knoxville so what I am looking for is the best price but also fresh tires.

With all the uncertainty right now I've decided to wait since I won't be going anywhere in the very near future.   I'll get tires later this summer, they may be cheaper if the economy doesn't recover but I'll have to make sure the date codes are good.

After a blowout with a Bridgestone, I replaced mine with a set of Sumitomo ST738.   They were considerably less expensive than most other brands.

I never put many miles on them, as I stopped using the coach a couple years later, but they ride smooth, run cool, and seem to be quality tires. 

They still look great, but are 12 years old, and I'd never run tires that old.  I'll likely replace them with the same tire when I get back to racing and using my coach again.

• 3 months later...
On 3/19/2020 at 9:29 PM, daveyjo said:

Dave Jones

I had no problem purchasing six toyo  m144  tire 295-80 22.5 in Ocala, fl. Prices about $500 each but I’ve even seen cheaper for same. Tax, installed, balance and out the door.

Edited by merkur89xr4tiride

I went with Toyos on the front 2 years ago and am happy with the ride and wear, so I decided to go with them for the rear and tag.  I bought 6 of the Tokyo M144 295/80R22.5 in May.  Cost was $3700 for tires, mount, balance, disposal fee, etc.  This was in Virginia.  I can’t remember the FMCA price, but I know it was more than the Toyos.  
A word of caution regarding the Toyos.  For some reason they smell like horse manure.  When I bought my front tires I noticed the smell and thought I drove through something.  The smell gets better with time.  One of our club members noticed I had the Toyos and asked about the smell.  I asked him how he knew about it and he said it’s on the Internet.  Sure enough, I googled it and there it was.  
Dan D

2012 Diplomat 43DFT

If you have the time and are located to try this, contact local truckers for the sale of your tires you are replacing. They like them for trailer application and will bring between 100-125$ each. This applies to 295-80-22.5 from prior posts and what i sold mine for.

Paul A

The xza2 is a long haul highway tire and I think the most energy efficient of the bunch. 

The xze is a regional tire. Great if you have a ups truck. 

The Toyo is a truck tire. I would not use it for the steer axle.

I’m not sure about the other Michelin’s.  I’m on my second set of xza2’s and like their performance . I had an issue with them getting side wall cracks but Michelin adjusted them at 50k miles and 6.5 years for about half price so they stand behind their products . 

The michelin xza2 needs about 5psi less air pressure than the Toyo so it rides better and is easier to inflate with coach air than the toyo.  The Michelin’s xza2 have all had perfect wear patterns on over 80k miles and 16 tires . Can’t say that about gy670s that came on the coach. 

I imagine that the Michelin costs a couple hundred more than a toyo, but is more energy efficient and rides better. 

• Like 2