Let's Talk Oil . . . .

5 hours ago, Ray Davis said:

I remember Gordy too,  great guy.    Is he out of RVing now?

Ray, I don't know. Have not seen him post here for some time. 

I would love to volunteer with a group on this site to "upate" membership, if possible.  Using members email addresses could be a "start".

I remember this just like it was yesterday, "25,000 miles Between Oil Changes" read the cover of Popular Science in 1975. Mobil One was just going to be introduced. That sold me right there. I've been a user in my autos ever since (except for the smoking station wagon). Mobil One never advertised that potential because I'm sure the auto manufacturers didn't want their buyers to see it, so Mobil One pushed the 5000 mile recommended oil change. The behind the scenes talk was that synthetic oil could lubricate forever but the filter would have to be changed to keep the oil clean. Then lately I started seeing Mobil One with 10,000 miles and 20,000 miles between oil changes. I actually called Mobil and supposedly talked to an engineer and asked why they don't advertise the 25,000 miles between changes and he denied that they have ever recommended 25,000 miles between changes. I mentioned the magazine cover but he said that was never true. I'm sure the magazine article was older then he was. I know it wasn't advertised so he never knew about it. I was shocked when I saw David state that Mobil One gave in and started adding petroleum distillate base stock to their product. I see Mobil One has a Advanced Full Synthetic and a Fully Synthetic oil. I think the Fully Synthetic is a real synthetic, it costs $15+ per quart at Grainger, $24.37 for 5 qt bottle on Amazon. This destroys my true synthetic theory. I always use a Mobil One filter.

Gary 05 AMB DST

Edited by Gary 05 AMB DST
wrog price theory

Gary,

I'm not knocking Mobil for changing their formula.  They were being subjected to unfair advertising by their competitors, and the courts decided not to do anything about it, so they had to submit to the bean counters or they would never be able to sell their more expensive full synthetic oil.

Mobil 1 is still a very good oil, just not quite what it once was.

The only true full synthetic oils out there now are from specialty companies like Redline, VP-Racing, Royal Purple, and probably Amsoil as well.
The price reflects the full synthetic status.

About 6 months after I purchased my new to me 2012 Diplomat in 2017, I purchased an oil analysis kit that was in the clearance rack at Camping World.  When I received the test report back it had a large red “stop “ symbol and indicated that my aluminum was at a critical level and the oil should be changed ASAP.  I changed the oil and put in Shell Rotella T6 synthetic.

After I changed the oil I did a lot of internet research on oil analysis.  I found JG Lubricant Services and contacted them.  I actually spoke to the owner and he is an RV’er.  He told me I should send a sample in at about 2500 miles and get a good baseline to develop trend analysis data.  I sent in a sample at about 2500 miles and my aluminum was 104 and was at “1” on a scale of 0-4, with 0-1 being normal, 2-3 above normal and 4 is critical.  The report they send is online and contains more information than I can understand and it also has notes.  Each time the note says to drive 2500 and submit another sample.  My aluminum was at 64 for the last sample and I’m told that the high level on the original sample was possibly due to break-in.  The engine only had 27,000 miles when I submitted the first sample.  I’ve now gone close to 12,000 miles since the oil was changed and will submit another sample in about 2,000 miles.  Once I get the report that indicates it’s time to change the oil, I will have developed my trend and will be able to submit samples less frequently.  

As far as synthetic vs Dino, my understanding is that synthetic is much better for cold weather starts.  I have mixed feelings and will buy synthetic when I can get a good price, but still use Dino in some of my vehicles.  I know there are some oils that have a high zinc content and they are recommended for older engines with solid lifters.  I was surprised to see that Mobil 1 had a relatively high zinc content.  

Here is the link to JG Lubricant Services.

https://jglubricantservices.com/home.html

Dan D, 2012 Diplomat 43DFT, Maxxforce 10

• Thanks 1

On 9/21/2021 at 9:01 AM, PeterSchweizer said:

Shell Rotella T4 10W-316322328276284370221166234974578.thumb.jpg.dd94a65cba23100d711e491ad019f318.jpg0  Engine oil for Diesels

For some levity...

Every time I see someone mention Shell Rotella, all I can think of is the cheesy Velveeta, sausage, and Rotel dip we have at family functions! Doesn't work as well with the Shell stuff mixed in  🙂

• Haha 1