Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/551-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Intersate 5 in CA, beware
blahargoue
Slide won't move in or out.
Seward G
6Wheels
Is this a good buy? 2004 Dip
Ivylog
6Wheels
New TPMS wanted
Dr4Film
Dr4Film
New TPMS wanted
Steve P
New carpet or tile.
bobdinsmore
New carpet or tile.
mmccwill
Flexsteel Seat Cover Source
Gary 05 AMB DST
New carpet or tile.
willbo777
New TPMS wanted
Gary 05 AMB DST
New TPMS wanted
Bob Blackmon
ABS Light check
Skipjack
ABS Light check
Chuck B
ABS Light check
Skipjack
ABS Light check
Ivan K
Excessive dash/front movement
Jeeper44
Payback for Help
JDCrow
Recovering Captains chairs in Tucson
rangerboat
Payback for Help
Ivan K
Payback for Help
JDCrow
New TPMS wanted
Steve P
ABS Light check
PeterSchweizer
Dash A/C vs MPG … Fact or Fiction?
CMillet86
ABS Light check
Ivan K
Gary M
ABS Light check
Skipjack
Joel & Susanna
Let's Talk Oil . . . .
cbr046
Let's Talk Oil . . . .
vito.a
Keyless Entry FOB
wamcneil

blahargoue

I frequently travel between my mountain home located east of the Sacramento/Stockton area and our coast place in Morro Bay.  The theoretically fastest route is to take I-5.  I avoid it like the plague due to inconsistent traffic flow, the large number of trucks and poor conditions (in some places).

My route of choice when having to head south is US 99.  Yes, it passes thru several Valley towns.  It has undergone a lot of improvements in recent years with many areas now featuring three lanes in each direction.  it's not perfect but it doesn't beat you to death either.

Slide won't move in or out.
Seward G

I had a similar problem.  My leveling legs wouldn't lift either, on our Monarch 2013 (gas engine) model.  A delay module had failed.  I ordered the part from Lippert - $20 for the part and $70 for overnight shipping as I recall.  The delay module is in the attached photo.  I think it failed from the wiring loom put part way around the part, then tightly taped together.  You can see in the photo the dents in the part from the loom corrugations.  I think the purpose of the delay is to allow the hydraulic pump motor to start and build pressure before any solenoids are opened, but on this I may be wrong.  The delay is about 0.9 second.  I hope this is helpful. 

Failed Electrical Component Slide Jack Front.jpg

6Wheels

You get what you vote for?

It’s Not Who Votes That Counts, It’s Who Counts The Votes

Ivylog
9 hours ago, Ray Davis said:

you can't take it with you anyway

Yea, but your kids could. I’m surprised how many 04 Dips are for sale with prices all over the place… from $48K to $90K with $64K my estimate of the average asking price.

Would be nice to hear from the OP and why with a 2013 Discovery he’s looking at a 04 Dip???!

6Wheels

Discovery is being used by my daughter's family as it is a bunk model.  We are looking for a part time couples coach.

The Discovery was very nice for full time living. 

No hurry to buy, as the market looks like toast in the near future so prices should plummet, but along with that the cost and difficulty (parts) of proper maintenance might not be worth it.  Just looking.

09 Monaco Dynasty ISM 500 will not start
rtmurley

I have had two occurrences of no start condition on my 2009 Dynasty 500ISM engine.

1st occurrence was a blown fuse in the rrb. Replaced fuse with a slow blow fuse.

2nd occurrence, several years later, turned out to be the starter which Cummins diagnosed and replaced. The engine now starts the best it ever has.

Good luck,

Ray Murley

New TPMS wanted
Dr4Film

Steven P,

You are WAY off base on your Internet shopping and comprehension of the Borg web site. Maybe you should consider calling them directly to get the REAL price instead of posting bogus information.

I went to their web site and easily found the Borg Dually Stem Kits for Monaco motorhomes which are being sold for $140. Plus the custom bent & sized stems for the front wheels are less than $15 each. So for less than $170 plus shipping you can have these at your door step. That's a SIGNIFICANT difference than the $700 you are complaining about!

Plus I had my stems installed by the local tire company that were installing new tires & Dyna Balancing Beads so the charge was minimal. I don't own stands, jacks, air tools, etc. and anything else needed to work on tires and don't plan to. That's what my CC is for.

In regards to the TPMS there are a few excellent reliable brands on the market, Pressure Pro, TST, Tire SafeGuard come to mind. They can be had for about $700 or less depending on how many wheels you need to monitor. Or you can run without a TPMS and end up paying a lot more than $700 on the side of the road for one tire let alone two if it's the rear. Totally up to you, as the Quaker State Oil ad used to say on TV, "Pay me now or Pay me later"!

Your money, your coach, your choice!

The experienced long term members here have "been there and done that". We give out free advice based on our experiences. After that it's up to the other members to do what they want.

Great Price for Blue Seas ML-ACR System with Manual Control
FishAR
12 hours ago, pwhittle said:

Hi Michael,

Best I can tell, the IRD is in the front run bay, but the relay that connects the two banks together is in the RRB.

You would install the ML-ACR in place of the Trombetta in the RRB. You may be able to reuse the wire for the IrD and the wire for the Battery Boost to connect the Bluesea switch and the ML-ACR.

Paul

Thanks Paul. I'll have to file this away for future reference. I've kind of given up on doing this for a while now. I've got a small 12 volt charger/maintainer plugged into the engine heater receptacle now and wired to the chassis batteries with plugs so I can undo it at each end and store it while on the road, and keep the chassis batteries good while parked.

Generator still in crank but no start condition, probably have the diesel shop that's going to change the fluids work on it and hope they're smart enough to fix it. They said they thought they could.

AC clutch didn't engage the other day when I was running the motorhome at 1000 rpm in the driveway, now I'm worried about that.

Baseplate for the silverado came in and I have to install that, ready brake stuff should be arriving soon and have to put that together.

Found out there's a possibility I may have to get a new driver license to drive this thing, Illinois law is so vague. The driver license stations where I live are too small to even drive to them and park it. I had a hard time even parking my dually crew cab there.  Plus would have to have a friend with that endorsement go up there with me, not sure I have any friends with that endorsement. Wondering if my insurance is void without the endorsement.

Fuel filters, belts sitting here looking at me asking when I'm going to install them. Still thinking about buying an air filter. Rain the last 2 days so since I've moved it outside was able to do nothing.

2 months until we planned on leaving for Florida, starting to feel overwhelmed and like things are closing in on me. I know it's not as big a deal as I'm making it, just need to get to work on it.

Dr4Film

Denny,

BIG difference between the value of real estate Houses and RV Motorhomes. The former generally appreciates in value whereas the latter depreciates significantly.

No comparison whatsoever!

RV's are a "dime a dozen" and there are a plethora of them on the market in all shapes, sizes, conditions and prices.

Real estate homes are unique as you discovered. Depending on the market location today, it is a seller's market usually ending up in a bidding war increasing the price well over the asking price.

I always try to buy "smartly".

New TPMS wanted
Steve P

My question was "Do I have this right?".  Obviously I didn't.  Thanks for the clarification.  I wasn't griping about the cost... I'm used to spending money, as my DW will attest.  So please ratchet back the comments about "posting bogus information".  I will call Borg this week during business hours and get a price.  And report back here.  I do appreciate all the personal experience, yours and others, offered on this site!  It helps me keep this beast in great condition and running safely.  I still have a lot to learn as an 18 month owner. 

New carpet or tile.
bobdinsmore

I replaced the carpet three years ago with a thick pile carpet and the thickest padding available. All I did was unbolt the two chairs and the two couches. The carpet installers did all the rest and took on a couple of hours. The biggest problem was finding a shop who would install carpet in RV's. Their reluctance surprised me, which I still don't understand because there's nothing really unique. Make sure to see that they do a neat job in the driver's area.

The area to be covered is so small you probably can find/afford a highest-quality remnant. Keep looking if you don't find what you will be happy with.

New carpet or tile.
mmccwill

I live in the Phoenix area & have installed carpet in several motor homes -- It is about a 3/4 day job -- The coach is not livable during that time -- I move the bed box to the living area & completely strip the bedroom -- After the bedroom is complete, then I do the front -- Bill Willard ---   williampwillard@gmail.com    480-540-7377  

Gary 05 AMB DST

Gary, is it a cover that fits over the existing seat cover? Does she have access to the seat foam? I've been searching for an improvement over towels.

Gary 05 AMB DST

New carpet or tile.
willbo777

Just my two cents, we removed the carpet and the tile and had Ernie install engineered wood on all surfaces except for the driver side slide floor.  Love it and wouldn't go back.  Been in since 2014, still completely satisfied!

FishAR

Curious if I've done something wrong. A post I made before this is hidden and says it will have to be approved by a moderator, I've never had that happen here before I don't think.

I did use a word in the post that is comparable to an earthen structure which holds water, thought that might be it so went and edited it out and it didn't make a difference.

I'll try this again.

Thanks Paul. I'll have to file this away for future reference. I've kind of given up on doing this for a while now. I've got a small 12 volt charger/maintainer plugged into the engine heater receptacle now and wired to the chassis batteries with plugs so I can undo it at each end and store it while on the road, and keep the chassis batteries good while parked.

Generator still in crank but no start condition, probably have the diesel shop that's going to change the fluids work on it and hope they're smart enough to fix it. They said they thought they could.

AC clutch didn't engage the other day when I was running the motorhome at 1000 rpm in the driveway, now I'm worried about that.

Baseplate for the silverado came in and I have to install that, ready brake stuff should be arriving soon and have to put that together.

Found out there's a possibility I may have to get a new driver license to drive this thing, Illinois law is so vague. The driver license stations where I live are too small to even drive to them and park it. I had a hard time even parking my dually crew cab there.  Plus would have to have a friend with that endorsement go up there with me, not sure I have any friends with that endorsement. Wondering if my insurance is void without the endorsement.

Fuel filters, belts sitting here looking at me asking when I'm going to install them. Still thinking about buying an air filter. Rain the last 2 days so since I've moved it outside was able to do nothing.

2 months until we planned on leaving for Florida, starting to feel overwhelmed and like things are closing in on me. I know it's not as big a deal as I'm making it, just need to get to work on it.

pwhittle

Hi Michael,

We all feel overwhelmed at times.

Just keep chipping away at things and the list will finally get done. Focus on the ones that would prevent your trip from happening, and do the others as time permits.

The members here will provide support on each issue you are facing. The amount on knowledge on Monacoers is incredible.

Paul

New TPMS wanted
Gary 05 AMB DST

Pressure Pro

Gary 05 AMB DST

09 Monaco Dynasty ISM 500 will not start
Ivylog

If you decide to replace the starter, do yourself a favor and replace with a Denso …here’s a good article on a ISM:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/new-denso-starter-cummins-ism-500-a-401394.html

I put off replacing as the Denso had fewer teeth than the geared Delco on my ISX. The fewer teeth are off center on the Denso so don’t worry about the fewer teeth. The Delco starter finally got so bad that 3 good starting batteries and the boost would barely start it. The Denso will start it using just ONE of the batteries… load tested each one separately and each started my ISL.

Scotty Hutto
3 hours ago, FishAR said:

Curious if I've done something wrong. A post I made before this is hidden and says it will have to be approved by a moderator, I've never had that happen here before.

There are certain words that get “flagged” by the system software and require moderator approval. I think by the time I saw the approval notice you might have edited it, because I couldn’t find anything wrong with your post.  

The “earthen structure” word shouldn’t get you flagged. 😂

It’s mostly an annoyance for everyone, posters and moderators alike… if I could turn it off I would. 

UPDATE: I still can’t turn it off, but now it will post the first letter and asterisks (for example: d***) for all but the most offensive language, instead of requiring admin approval. I get 1-2 of these per day, so yay.

New TPMS wanted
Bob Blackmon

Click on what they are selling for $158. It is a bag of 10.

Ivan K
42 minutes ago, FishAR said:

I can only tell you from my Texas experience that when I went for the Class B driving test, they did not even try to ask how the coach got there. I had my wife with me and was prepared to say that she drove because she knows everything better. While on the road, the examiner asked if I just got the coach and since I can't lie, I admitted to driving it for few years now. I believe it even made her more relaxed with me knowing that while directing me through a city traffic. The insurance coverage question made me to hurry up with the license after we were in a very expensive 3 vehicle accident in Nebraska, even though it wasn't my fault and my insurance was never involved, it was eye opening.

ABS Light check
Skipjack

Should my ABS light on my instrument panel illuminate when I first turn on my ignition?.

All my other dash indicator lights do, but my ABS does not. (HR 2003 Roadmaster Chassis R4R) 

ABS Light check
Chuck B

Yes.  That is to let you know that those lights are working, hooked up to what generates the light.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

ABS Light check
Skipjack

Thanks

The ABS light as well?

I have had my coach for a couple of years and never thought about it.

I have had some recent overheating in my front rotors/calipers, and it made me think about the ABS system

ABS Light check
Ivan K

Yes, ABS light should come on for couple seconds or so while running self test. May want to check the bulb. 

Excessive dash/front movement
Jeeper44

I purchased my 2001 Diplomat at the beginning of this year. Due to other circumstances I haven't driven it very much, with the three hour trip home from the dealership being the longest. I noticed while driving there seems to be a lot of movement between the dash and the front of the coach. I don't know if the dash is moving, or the front is moving. I've read about people having windshields pop-out due to the amount of movement in the front. Should I be concerned, or is there anything I can check for loose brackets, perhaps that hold the dash in place? I found two of the supports for the generator door weren't even attached to the frame, so I fixed that.

Help identifying engine fan controller components
waterskier_1
18 hours ago, Rick A said:

Sorry I am a bit confused, like a said I'm a neophyte when it comes to this control system.

Summary

1. Remove pipes from the wax valve. 

2. Insert plugs, this is where the confusion is. Plug the Wax valve ports or the 2 pipes, one from the pump and the other to the fan motor?

3. The 2 pipes. 

• One has hydraulic fluid coming from the pump?
  • The other goes to the fan motor? The fan will run as default - no pressure?
  • Is this going to damage the fan motor if there is no fluid in them?

Excuse my ignorance on this.

I just like to know what you guys are talking about.

Thanks for your time.

Here is a diagram of a typical hydraulic system.  This is not from Monaco, but representative.  The wax valve is not a on/off valve, it is a variable viscosity valve, that varies by temperature.  When "cold" the was is mostly solid (like a candle that isn't burning).  That solid prevents (or greatly limits) oil flow through the wax valve.  Low oil flow results in low fan speed.  As the temperature of the radiator increases, the wax becomes less viscous, allowing more oil to flow through the wax valve. As oil flow increases, fan speed increases.  You will NOT be draining any oil. The only oil loss will be from disconnecting the line from the wax valve and screwing the plug in.  Of course you will do this when the engine is not running.  Therefore the hydraulic pump is not running, and the system isn't under any pressure (except that exerted by gravity).  Note that these are just control lines, (Labeled E, F, & G which might not be present in your system, in the attached diagram).  These are NOT the main pump lines (in the diagram labeled H for the input to fan motor, and D for the output of the fan motor.  

hydraulic fan drive system.jpg

Payback for Help
JDCrow

So past Feb I got the Dip and my buddy helped with the flooring. 

Now they are visiting and he picked up a new to him truck. 1 owner, ordered new from Ford, 80k on the OD, but it has sat. 

The Delta was 30/40 degrees. Flushed, backflushed to no avail. New oil cooler going on. 

11F565F3-9BCB-4C8A-B3B8-015E2D4F2ED2.jpeg

3A413863-CE9F-416B-AE2C-86BEE1927BD8.jpeg

2E0D36D3-5205-421F-8579-26F2E22B996E.jpeg

E32EC5B9-1CE5-490C-96D3-154AF96F1EC9.jpeg

14460DA3-6D5C-4582-9469-15861351017A.jpeg

rangerboat

I wonder how Flexsteel feels about an ex emplyee having their patterns and selling them? Generally any pattern is considered proprietary to the manufacturer.

Payback for Help
Ivan K

You certainly are a busy body. My knees hurt just from looking at the first picture. You may want to consider one of these if more of it is in your future, so much easier...

20210920_121821.jpg

Payback for Help
JDCrow
1 minute ago, Ivan K said:

You certainly are a busy body. My knees hurt just from looking at the first picture. You may want to consider one of these if more of it is in your future, so much easier...

20210920_121821.jpg

Bro, you wanna donate a shop and a lift I’ll get one! 😂😂

I don’t do this for a living, just for fun. 

Joe Lee

Hi - I have been told that it’s more economical to run the generator and use roof A/Cs rather than the dash A/C when traveling. Does anyone have some insight?  

Thanks!

Rick A

Thank you for going to such lengths to explain this. Thank you.

New TPMS wanted
Steve P
2 hours ago, Bob Blackmon said:

Click on what they are selling for $158. It is a bag of 10.

Thanks for pointing that out...   On my phone last night after a long day of driving, that did not leap off the page.  Thanks for the help! 

ABS Light check
PeterSchweizer

I am not sure if when you turn on ignition switch if it actually does a "systems check"?. Typically it was a way to check that the indicators light bulb did in fact turn on n was not burned out. 

Chuck B

Depends on which genset you have.  A Onan 7.5/8.0 are variable speed gensets.  The 10.0 and 12.5 are constant speed gensets.  Then there is the comfort issue.  IMO, half the fun is driving to your new location.  Then there is the DW complaining about how hot it is.  All that for a few gallons of diesel fuel???  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

CMillet86

In my opinion there is zero loss of fuel mileage with dash A/C on a adequately powered Diesel engine. My coach only varies about 1.5-2 mpg when towing my race car trailer that is approaching 10k lbs. so the 5 horsepower it might take to drive that a/c is nothing

Joe Lee

Thanks for the replies! I have an older 10kW genset. My coach has a Cummins M11. 

planodp

Thank you Rick N. That's a great explanation!

ABS Light check
Ivan K

Yeah, appears to be a bulb and ABS malfunction check. Either way, the light should come on. Also may want to check ABS related fuses, I've got 3 in the ignition fuse section of FRB.

From my Bendix manual:

ABS Indicator Lamp
This lamp is the primary indicator of ABS system
condition. Under normal conditions, the ABS lamp lights
steadily for a two-second bulb-check whenever the
switched ignition is ON. The ABS lamp turns OFF after
the bulb-check if there are no ABS malfunctions
present. If the indicator remains ON, after the
bulb-check, or lights during vehicle operation, it
indicates the ABS requires service.

Rick A

I figure this advice will be a regular reference. 

Gary M
4 hours ago, Gary 05 AMB DST said:

Gary, is it a cover that fits over the existing seat cover? Does she have access to the seat foam? I've been searching for an improvement over towels.

Gary 05 AMB DST

My understanding is it replaces your existing fabric. If u need new foam padding, the installer/ upholsterer would do that. 

Gary M

Well I assume she purchased them from Flexsteel. They had a small factory in Riverside Calif which is where I plan to have mine reupholstered with her covers. I am going to call the Riverside upholsterer to get his cost to add padding along with the new fabric. I visited an RV furniture store in Idaho to look at captains chairs sold online and while some were cheaper, no thankyou. Im comparing prices between having a upholsterer just redo and having Bauer do them. Best I can say is to call her and ask your concerns. Her website isn’t finished yet. 

ABS Light check
Skipjack

Thanks a bunch guys.

That is what I expected.

I did have a couple of the relays go bad on me as well in the Monoco 3 box up front. (One was related to the IGN, and none of the gauges would work) 

I just found another relay box at the rear of the coach (Monoco 4) and it contains relays and fuses for the ABS. I think I am going to check this out

thanks again

IMG_1825.JPG

IMG_1824.JPG

IMG_1693.JPG

IMG_1698.JPG

Joel & Susanna

Besides, with the genset running, your not burning LP for the fridge and the wife can then fry or grill you a 60 mph hamburger lol.

cbr046
2 hours ago, CMillet86 said:

. . . .  so the 5 horsepower it might take to drive that a/c is nothing

Torque man, torque!  . . . but it's all ball bearings these days anyway (quoting Fletch).

My genset uses about 1/2 gal / hour.  The dash AC is insignificant.  I run the dash AC as much as possible because #1 I'm a cheapskate and #2 I'm afraid of wearing out the generator (yeah I know, LOL).  There's the noise from the gen & roof AC also. 

- bob

Let's Talk Oil . . . .
cbr046

Nothing like an oil thread to get the juices flowing (please don't ban me for this) . . .

I'm curious what folks are using for engine oil.  I was going to buy 7 gallons of Amsoil until I added up the price.  Then I started researching other brands.  Seems like volume is more critical than quality, and dino is cost effective vs synthetic?  I do like synthetic . . .

Same for filters.  Seems like Donaldson is the preferred brand . . . but who has the better prices?  Or is there a better filter? 

And lastly, who do you like for oil analysis?  I might do an analysis before changing oil. 

Ok, really lastly . . . here's an oil blog I found interesting.  This guy does analysis on LOTS of different oils, including diesel.  He has some interesting opinions.  I have no idea what the cost & availability of some of the Euro Diesel oils he mentions, but if it's easily available in the US . . . .  

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

Ok, I'm done.  Let the fur fly!

- bob

2002 Dip, first MH to cut our teeth on
JDCrow

In between wrenching on my buds 6.0, finishing up the entry 

86B238A0-361D-4AA4-B1B3-BACA44F0726A.jpeg

F98DC388-CF00-475B-A4B1-F05CBF6174FB.jpeg

F5916F53-3FC9-4A68-A4AD-A987BB43107C.jpeg

1F8522E0-C467-4878-BBEB-029E99D577EC.jpeg

Let's Talk Oil . . . .
vito.a

I use Shell Rotella and Cummins Fleetguard filters.  

Keyless Entry FOB
wamcneil
On 9/12/2021 at 1:00 PM, Mike H said:

I have the four button keyless entry Key Fob.  In the owners manual it states that only 3 of the buttons are used.  Has anyone figured out how to use that 'extra' button to perform another function, like turning on the outside porch light or something else?

Key Fob.jpg

Essex now sells an Avital brand wireless entry system to go with their keypad system (the two are completely separate). The avital (and I'm sure yours too) are just generic aftermarket keyless entry systems. Essex doesn't make a wireless system. They just remarket and have apparently changed several times over the years.

Each of the keyfob buttons will be linked to a particular pair of wires on the wireless box (mine is inside the dash). When you press the unlock button it connects the two unlock wires together and grounds a solenoid in the run bay that actuates the lock. Likewise for the other buttons. The unused button on your keyfob is for a pair of wires that's not presently connected to anything. My keyfob has an extra button also that I've contemplated connecting to exterior lighting, but it would be a lot of work.

I was able to utilize an existing wire in the coach harness to make the new wireless entry's 'dome light' output turn on the interior lights for a minute after unlocking the door. My original wireless box didn't have a dome light output, but I think that circuit was used with the optional viper alarm system.

The essex door keypad also has several unused wires. Each of the function buttons (I think there are three provided) is a number that is pressed after entering the unlock code. Each activates a different wire on the back of the keypad. Only one of those circuits are used for the bay doors on my coach (linked to button 9).

Cheers,

Walter

Let's Talk Oil . . . .
tomevansfl

I’m going to subscribe to this thread and sit back and take it all in. I’m always up for learning about the practical aspects of RV’ing.

fredelkamp

When we had our Ford V-10 gas motorhome we ran with the generator on all the time, that coach needed every bit of that extra horsepower to get up the hills.

Let's Talk Oil . . . .
96 EVO
45 minutes ago, vito.a said:

I use Shell Rotella and Cummins Fleetguard filters.  

Same.

So far, so good!

96 EVO
1 hour ago, cbr046 said:

Torque man, torque!  . . . but it's all ball bearings these days anyway (quoting Fletch).

My genset uses about 1/2 gal / hour.  The dash AC is insignificant.  I run the dash AC as much as possible because #1 I'm a cheapskate and #2 I'm afraid of wearing out the generator (yeah I know, LOL).  There's the noise from the gen & roof AC also. 

- bob

Light on the gen start / stop switch is the only way I know my gen is running while travelling down the hiway!

New TPMS wanted
Roger S
On 9/18/2021 at 11:27 AM, woodylmiller said:

Is there a system that will let you isolate and monitor a single tire?  I have the EEZ system now which has been OK.  But, I have recently on this trip had 3 valve extension hoses go bad.  When one went bad I needed to watch how quickly I was losing air.  The EEZ system rolls through all 12 tires one at a time.  Not good.  I wanted to know in real time what was going on with the one tire that was losing air.  Is there a system that lets you isolate a tire or tires instead of "rolling" through all the tires?  

Last mobile tire guy that came out really opened my eyes to the extenders and how they can cause problems.  He showed my how they destroy Schrader valves, the rubber tube inside the braided lines are cheap and useless.  Yes, it's real pain without the extenders, but so is sitting on the side of the road waiting on the mobile tire guy to show up.  The last extender that went bad was on one of the inside dually's.  Removing that extender was just a ton of fun trying to get my hands between the tires.

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty Regal IV

Woody,

I agree with Dr4Film.

I had been leery of the rubber hoses with stainless armor. There it too much chance that they will rub on the wheel openings and damage the braid and hose until it fails. Last summer I had those replaced with solid extensions from the same source (tireshopsupply.com) as he. The only downside is that they have to be installed by a tire shop or an extraordinarily well equipped home shop. I have no interest in learning how to remove the wheels and unmount the tires for the installation.

The inner wheels have much longer extensions that the outers or steer axle wheels and have to be stabilized to prevent interference or fatigue. That is done by placing plastic or rubber devices that snap into the holes in the outside wheels and support the stem of the extension. 

They have performed flawlessly and pass air more easily than the old extension hoses.

Roger Smalley 2006 HR Endeavor

Payback for Help
Ray Davis

I don't think Ivan was referring to the lift but the ladder like device in front of the PU.   I believe it's adjustable and you step up then lay on the padded top that supports your chest or what ever.   Makes hanging out over an engine compartment much less painful,  so they say.

Ivan,  good looking shop.   Looks like you might be a busy body too.   I see the Corvette and about a 69 PU but whatcha got covered up.    Is it a work truck or are you restoring it.   My son has one he restored,  it's pretty sweet,  now he wants to take the 454 out and put a 6.0 in it.    I have been with him a few times to the swap meet      out at Tex Motor Speedway but I just can't hardly do all that walking anymore.

Let's Talk Oil . . . .
hex_nut

I have a CAT C9 in my Beaver.  It is a HEUI Motor and is really picky about clean finely filtered oil.  Therefor, I use only CAT high efficiency filters.  They are no more expensive than other good quality brands and are guaranteed to filter down to 2 microns.  I use Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic.  Yes, it is expensive, but not near as expensive as a new HEUI pump, or heaven forbid, a new motor.  I do try to save a few bucks by doing my own oil changes.  I also look for rebates on the Rotella T6, they do it about once a year.  Annual testing at Blackstone labs after oil changes helps me keep on top of any wear issues.  My Beaver is now 16 years old and has had no issues (knock on wood).

Richard   

Payback for Help
JDCrow
22 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

I don't think Ivan was referring to the lift but the ladder like device in front of the PU.   I believe it's adjustable and you step up then lay on the padded top that supports your chest or what ever.   Makes hanging out over an engine compartment much less painful,  so they say.

Ivan,  good looking shop.   Looks like you might be a busy body too.   I see the Corvette and about a 69 PU but whatcha got covered up.    Is it a work truck or are you restoring it.   My son has one he restored,  it's pretty sweet,  now he wants to take the 454 out and put a 6.0 in it.    I have been with him a few times to the swap meet      out at Tex Motor Speedway but I just can't hardly do all that walking anymore.

Yeah I know what he meant. But step is no good without a shop. Here’s my shop floor. 

If wanted to loan the shop, I’d buy the ladder 

F6EA72E8-0BF9-4D50-8EEA-15484081C4A3.jpeg

Cargo Bay Handles
klcdenver

I have 4 Trimark 060-0475 for sale or trade. These do not have the plungers. They are keyed to 2001. 200.00 for all 4 plus shipping or trade for ones with plunger. They are black and do not appear to have been used.

Thanks,

Kenneth

5EA9FF9C-D69B-47AB-B311-63349DC63548.jpeg

Let's Talk Oil . . . .
Gary 05 AMB DST

Check who approves the use of Amsoil. I quit when I saw it.

Gary 05AMB DST

Let's Talk Oil . . . .
wayne.cerven@gmail.com

I use the same as Vito, Shell Rotella 15/40 and Fleetgaurd filters, Never add oil between servicing, it will drop down a couple quarts but I never add(gets to it sweet spot) if it is down to low there is either a leak and or do for service.

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

Payback for Help
Ivan K

Yes, the topside creeper was my point, awesome for big trucks.

Ray, here is a different view, different day. The one under cover is a 68 Camaro 454. Others behind me and outside are in progress. The white/blue RS got a 540CI BBC on juice.

2017-08-07_20-01-07_613.jpg

Payback for Help
Ray Davis
24 minutes ago, JDCrow said:

Yeah I know what he meant. But step is no good without a shop. Here’s my shop floor. 

Actually,  I think it would work there,  and you might be able to rent them,  I don't know.   

Youth is a wonderful thing I used to work in those terrible positions like you are in the pict but not so much anymore if I can help it.

New TPMS wanted
Steve P
50 minutes ago, Roger S said:

Woody,

I agree with Dr4Film.

I had been leery of the rubber hoses with stainless armor. There it too much chance that they will rub on the wheel openings and damage the braid and hose until it fails. Last summer I had those replaced with solid extensions from the same source (tireshopsupply.com) as he. The only downside is that they have to be installed by a tire shop or an extraordinarily well equipped home shop. I have no interest in learning how to remove the wheels and unmount the tires for the installation.

The inner wheels have much longer extensions that the outers or steer axle wheels and have to be stabilized to prevent interference or fatigue. That is done by placing plastic or rubber devices that snap into the holes in the outside wheels and support the stem of the extension. 

They have performed flawlessly and pass air more easily than the old extension hoses.

Roger Smalley 2006 HR Endeavor

Roger - I am getting ready to do what you described.  Thank you for your explanation!   One question:  will the wheels and tires need rebalancing after the installation of the new stems and donuts?   It seems like they would, but I thought I'd ask to be sure.  

Thanks - Steve P

Payback for Help
JDCrow
14 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

Actually,  I think it would work there,  and you might be able to rent them,  I don't know.   

Youth is a wonderful thing I used to work in those terrible positions like you are in the pict but not so much anymore if I can help it.

At 49 I’m starting to let some others work on the projects that don’t interest me (wheel bearings, brakes etc)

Your shop is amazing! I’m not a big Camarillo guy, but love the CJ 

Let's Talk Oil . . . .
Rikadoo

For me its Delo with fleetgaurd filters, Delo has been in the trucking industry ALONG TIME…

Wheel removal and jacking up the coach
Steve P

I am about to change valve stems and add a TPMS.  My single past experience with an RV and truck tire shop has not been good...   My coach has 2 hydraulic leveling jacks in the rear and one in the front. Last year when I bought new tires, the shop had me use those to raise the wheels off the ground. They then put jack stands underneath someplace as insurance. I later read that having the tires hanging on the suspension is considered a path to failure, or damaging at the very least.  Is what they did actually bad practice?   If so, I don't mind drawing a line in the sand, or leaving, when a shop won't do what needs to be done correctly.  The place also sold me Goodyear tires that were 4 YEARS beyond the date of manufacture.   I talked to Goodyear, and they wouldn't do a thing.   In their view, the product manager said the tires were perfectly fine and the shop had not violated any Goodyear guidelines or policies.  No wonder I'm buying a TPMS... !!!  Also, I noticed one stainless braided extensions is chafing a wheel on the pass thru.  You live, you learn...   

Chuck B
4 hours ago, Joel & Susanna said:

Besides, with the genset running, your not burning LP for the fridge and the wife can then fry or grill you a 60 mph hamburger lol.

I cherish my wife enough that I require her to be under a seat belt while the coach is in motion.  It's state law in many states.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

klcdenver

Please post name and location of this place so they can be avoided.

Ivan K

So the axles with wheels and H-frames were essentially hanging on the airbags. Does not sound like a good thing to do to them as it is the direct opposite of their function, IMO. No idea how much they can take between the 4 of them. The old tires are a story on its own. I would stay away from that shop.

Trailing arms
Skipjack

I just had my trailing arms replaced a couple of months ago. I did not see a problem, but with everything I read I didn’t want to take a chance. I ordered the parts from Source engineering, and had a local truck shop replace them. 
The other reason I went ahead and did it was, I have a friend with a HR in the range of the recall, and actually had his arms break.

Payback for Help
Ray Davis
1 hour ago, Ivan K said:

Yes, the topside creeper was my point, awesome for big trucks.

Ray, here is a different view, different day. The one under cover is a 68 Camaro 454. Others behind me and outside are in progress. The white/blue RS got a 540CI BBC on juice.

2017-08-07_20-01-07_613.jpg

Topside creeper,  I didn't know the name.

Yeah this shot is better.  All kinds of fun things in there.   Hope you have a big dog, a big lock, and a big gun,  lots of lowlifes would like to get in there.

Don't listen to JD,   Chevy still rules,  especially that 55.   That was back in my day.   I remember when the small block came out,  we thought how can they ever top that.   Love those Camaros too and the  CJ.

Payback for Help
JDCrow
14 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

Topside creeper,  I didn't know the name.

Yeah this shot is better.  All kinds of fun things in there.   Hope you have a big dog, a big lock, and a big gun,  lots of lowlifes would like to get in there.

Don't listen to JD,   Chevy still rules,  especially that 55.   That was back in my day.   I remember when the small block came out,  we thought how can they ever top that.   Love those Camaros too and the  CJ.

You mean someone has been listening to me? 
Hold my beer, Need to go get the wife….

6.0 back together out for a test drive now 

F2BAEB46-58C6-4DA1-AB1B-A103D77F5574.jpeg

Re-clocking steering wheel
Skipjack

I need to reposition my steering wheel. As I drive down a straight road my wheel Points to 10 O’clock. 
The coach does not pull to either side, and just had it aligned when I had the rear trailing arms replaced. I just forgot to ask them to look at the steering wheel location.

can this be done without adjusting my steering box, like perhaps on the steering column? Has anyone had this issue, and found this can be done?

Payback for Help
Ray Davis
7 minutes ago, JDCrow said:

You mean someone has been listening to me? 
Need to go get the wife….

6.0 back together out for a test drive now 

Yep I listen,  I know what you mean though,  I often wonder if anybody reads my posts.   Your posts are interesting so I read them all.   I'm living vicariously     (big word)  through your many projects,  keep it coming. 

I saw you had the 6.0 torn down, what all were you doing?

Payback for Help
JDCrow
2 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

Yep I listen,  I know what you mean though,  I often wonder if anybody reads my posts.   Your posts are interesting so I read them all.   I'm living vicariously     (big word)  through your many projects,  keep it coming. 

I saw you had the 6.0 torn down, what all were you doing?

Oil cooler, trucks been sitting 

56CD0EFC-2599-4071-875A-51EE5D9DBA57.jpeg

FCFA7A14-F223-4F2A-AB57-2800B30B3121.jpeg

Payback for Help
Ray Davis
2 minutes ago, JDCrow said:

Oil cooler, trucks been sitting 

Huh,  didn't know what I was seeing.  Looks kinda nasty.

Bet you would enjoy this thread  https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/just-purchased-wrecked-2004-camelot-pdq-big-project-444980.html

and this one https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/mods-upgrades-to-our-2003-dynasty-237276.html

Payback for Help
Ivan K
26 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

Hope you have a big dog, a big lock, and a big gun,  lots of lowlifes would like to get in there.

All of the above 🙂 I know when something moves around here.

2017-06-09_15-04-44_000.jpg

Payback for Help
Ray Davis
2 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

All of the above 🙂 I know when something moves around here.

2017-06-09_15-04-44_000.jpg

👍 I figured as much, nice doggie,  nice doggie!!!   Ivan,  you lost your head.   I have leos in the family but lets face it they can't protect us unless maybe they are spending the night.   Rest of the time we're on our own.   We got some new gun laws here in Tex so they better not mess with us.  LOL

powersltc
53 minutes ago, Skipjack said:

I need to reposition my steering wheel. As I drive down a straight road my wheel Points to 10 O’clock. 
The coach does not pull to either side, and just had it aligned when I had the rear trailing arms replaced. I just forgot to ask them to look at the steering wheel location.

can this be done without adjusting my steering box, like perhaps on the steering column? Has anyone had this issue, and found this can be done?

I have the same issue.   Answer would be helpful. 

Ivan K

Extend or shorten your draglink, much easier and precise that way on a diesel coach. That should also return the gearbox to a center position as before.

We2dynasty

We have a 350 hp cummins and when we run the dash air it does not affect fuel consumption at all.  When we run the roof air off the generator, there is a noticeable drop in mileage. Ed 2000 Monaco Dynasty

cbr046

I read somewhere that wheels shouldn't be lifted with air bags inflated. 

On my last trip the rear wheels were off the ground for 2 days (yes, front wheels were chocked). 

- bob

Rikadoo

When im in route, I run the dash a/c all the time just cause either my hands or feet need cool air especially in rush hour traffic... (wish they offered seat cooling), plus since I serviced the dash a/c it flat gets cold on the long runs, I actually have to turn the temp knob warmer or change the dash setting to the defrost mode and just keep the cool breeze within the driving area without blowing directly on me.

As for the genny on enroute as long as I keep a nice air flow with a few open windows and the fantastic fans on its comfortable, however if its getting too hot I will run the genny and the a/c units, my owners manual I believe stated it will use 0.9 gallon per hr when under full load so I always keep that in the back of my mind.

Gary M

I don’t know if this applies to diesels. But the first thing I learned was to determine if steering wheel was placed correct. 
First turn your steering wheel in one direction till it stops. Then turn your wheel the opposite way and count the revolutions. Divide that by two and return steering wheel that many revolutions and that will supposedly let u know if steering wheel was placed correctly. Then work from there. Old school stuff. But I am not an alignment guy.

Who's next to comment.

How to access my water hose reel for repair on 07 Dip
LarryB

How do I gain access to my water hose reel? The fiberglass panel in front of the reel provides the mounting for the plumbing fixtures has a 3” return on both sides. With all the pex pipe behind this panel I don’t believe I can remove this panel to service the water hose reel. I’ve considered cutting this panel in half vertically n reinforcing it w an aluminum rib. All ur help will b greatly appreciated

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.