Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/556-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Power Stearing Hose HELP!
throgmartin
Is tire upgrade possible
Brett63
Fantastic vent questions
Dalton07
Is tire upgrade possible
Pampero
Is this a good buy? 2004 Dip
Steven P
Is tire upgrade possible
Brett63
Re-clocking steering wheel
Grampy OG
Shoreline Hose Reel gear
Doug K
Is tire upgrade possible
Gary 05 AMB DST
Is tire upgrade possible
Brett63
Is tire upgrade possible
Hypoxia
Is tire upgrade possible
Gary 05 AMB DST
Semi-permanent awning???
woodylmiller
Deep Cell Battery Replacement
thomasgibbens
Semi-permanent awning???
Rick A
Is tire upgrade possible
Walker
Is tire upgrade possible
Brett63
Walker
Is tire upgrade possible
Walker
Is tire upgrade possible
Brett63
Semi-permanent awning???
FishAR
Semi-permanent awning???
Paul A.
Deep Cell Batteries
thomasgibbens
Is tire upgrade possible
Jim McFarland
Deep Cell Batteries
vito.a
Is tire upgrade possible
vito.a
Deep Cell Batteries
Jdw12345
Semi-permanent awning???
cbr046
Replace steering shaft
Steven
Is tire upgrade possible
Pampero
Replace steering shaft
vito.a
Is tire upgrade possible
Brett63
Replace steering shaft
Dr4Film
Replace steering shaft
JDCrow
Semi-permanent awning???
Ivylog
Semi-permanent awning???
Ivan K
Is tire upgrade possible
Ivylog
Replace steering shaft
jacwjames
Deep Cell Batteries
Ivylog
Semi-permanent awning???
granvillebarker
Replace steering shaft
JDCrow
Replace steering shaft
jacwjames
3rd AC Unit
gjh2916
Replace steering shaft
Steven

Power Stearing Hose HELP!
throgmartin

We use a mobile hydraulic guy who comes to our shop and makes the hose on site for our customers coaches.

He removes the hoses, makes new ones and installs it. He has a large truck with a portable shop in the back and does all his hose making there. Very convenient and his rates are not bad. Saves us having to remove the hose and drive to a shop then drive back to pick it up.

Is tire upgrade possible
Brett63

Does anyone know if moving from a 315 front to a 365 front is possible on an 09 Sig?

Fantastic vent questions
Dalton07

These were the best accessories I ever put on my 30 ft RV, which is the Camco Cyclone Rotating Sewer Vent. This product uses surrounding air to ensure foul odors get vented out because this model follows the wind’s movement through rotating an incredible 360 degrees. This cyclone RV vent has an easy installation process. I can instead attach this product using a sealant. I was thrilled to see this product offer some choices concerning its color scheme. It ensures buyers can choose an option capable of meshing with their rig’s roof without issues.

Is tire upgrade possible
Pampero

The width of your current tires is 315mm and you want to be 365, that is 50 mm different or 2 inches.

Would your rims accept that width?

You also need to keep the same overall diameter,. How you do that?

Adjusting the profile; if you keep the same profile your tires will be to big.

A "good" tire supplier will advice.

I don't know if you can get the tire size you need, I think for @ 10mm increase on the wider the tire has to go 5% down on the profile. Not doing so will make the tire bigger affecting the speedometer reading which can be adjusted by an Allison dealer.

Profile = a % of the tire width. The result will be the distance from the tire rim to the tire edge.

If your tire is 315/70 R22.5 , the distance is 220.5 mm.

I you keep the same ratio, the length will be 255.5 mm, so the overall tire high will increase by 2.81 inches. 

Do you have the room for it?

Manteining the same ratio WILL require a programing on the Allison transmission. 

Is this a good buy? 2004 Dip
Steven P

Definition of boat: a hole in the water into which you sink money.  

That's what my dad always said, especially running 80 miles offshore for tuna in a 31'Contender.  We have been enjoying our current boat since 2014, but my wife is asking for a larger one w a smoother ride. The irony 🤣 

Is tire upgrade possible
Brett63

I don't believe steer tires have anything to do with speed or the trasmission at all. 

Re-clocking steering wheel
Grampy OG
On 9/21/2021 at 6:54 AM, McHughes said:

To center the steering wheel on a Monaco you open up the plastic around the base of the steering column, remove the pinch bolt on the u-joint, drop it down, center the wheel, pull it up and re-insert the bolt.  Takes about 10 minutes. 

I just completed this yesterday. Thanks for pointing us in this direction. I have been loathe to remove the smart wheel on the chance I would introduce more problems. Break a wire, etc. 

Thanks Ken

Shoreline Hose Reel gear
Doug K

I just rebuilt my reel with a gear from John. Thank you for sharing this information. The hardest part was working it out between the tank elbows. I had to flex the elbows apart to slip it through. I was very happy to be able to rebuild because it appeared that the new hose reels stood too tall to fit under the tanks.

Is tire upgrade possible
Gary 05 AMB DST
1 hour ago, Brett63 said:

I don't believe steer tires have anything to do with speed or the trasmission at all. 

It may affect the ABS.

Gary 05 AMB DST

Is tire upgrade possible
Brett63
7 minutes ago, Gary 05 AMB DST said:

It may affect the ABS.

Gary 05 AMB DST

That it may, not sure. That's why I am asking......lol

Is tire upgrade possible
Hypoxia

I don't think it would affect anything other than the wheel (rim) size capacity and the fit in the wheel well.  When aired down there isn't much room & if the wheel was turned it may contact the fiberglass.  I doubt if ABS cares, it looks at rotation vs. no rotation.

Is tire upgrade possible
Gary 05 AMB DST
34 minutes ago, Hypoxia said:

I don't think it would affect anything other than the wheel (rim) size capacity and the fit in the wheel well.  When aired down there isn't much room & if the wheel was turned it may contact the fiberglass.  I doubt if ABS cares, it looks at rotation vs. no rotation.

But doesn't the ABS control the ATS?

Gary 05 AMB DST

Semi-permanent awning???
woodylmiller

Girard awning.  Main big awning on curb side of coach.  We are spending the winter in Desert Hot Springs just outside Palm Springs.  The wind really whips here, it's the reason there are several million windmills in the area.  Coach is parked where the curbside is "downwind" to avoid all this wind.  Would like to keep the awning out in spite of the winds.  The wind thingee on the roof doesn't seem to work in terms of bringing the awning in during the gusts.  So, my plan is to place supports under the arms of the awning and then tie down the arms to anchors in the ground using bungee or shock cords to allow for a little give up and down.  Anyone see a problem with this?  I also plan to disconnect the wind thingee just in case it decides to activate a retract while I have the awning tied down.  Thanks, also, no rain expected in the next year, had a down pour yesterday with flash floods that closed roads, hadn't rained in a year.  I will cut the vertical supports to allow for a slight slope for run off should it rain again.

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty

thomasgibbens

After 7 years of use, I need to replace our deep cell house batteries. The are presently Discover-Energy model EVGV6A-B 6 volt batteries. I am looking for recommendations on the manufacturer. I am leaning towards Interstate Batteries but am open to suggestions. 

Tom Gibbens

’15 Dynasty 45D

Semi-permanent awning???
Rick A

I found the answer in your post.

“Thanks, also, no rain expected in the next year, had a down pour yesterday with flash floods that closed roads, hadn't rained in a year.“

Apply this to your awning design, expect the unexpected. 

Is tire upgrade possible
Walker

I believe you would have a very good chance of hitting the fiberglass.  There is not much clearance with the stock tires.

Is tire upgrade possible
Brett63
46 minutes ago, Gary 05 AMB DST said:

But doesn't the ABS control the ATS?

Gary 05 AMB DST

They work in tandem, but neither work off of the steer tires per sey. ABS just runs on a tone ring, it doesn't care about anything as long as the ring continues to spin. Yes I would have to change wheel size to accomodate. I have actually 3-4" clearance when aired down completely between tire and fiberglass. I always make sure wheels are straight before dropping air as even the 315 would contact if turned. 

I know many coaches have converted the steer and tag to 365 just didn't know if anyone had done it on a Monaco.

1 minute ago, Walker said:

I believe you would have a very good chance of hitting the fiberglass.  There is not much clearance with the stock tires.

There is on mine. I will go out with a tape in a minute. But aired down completely I have between 3-4" clearance

Walker

I installed trojan golf cart batteries.  So far I have been happy and they were slightly cheaper than interstates.

Is tire upgrade possible
Walker

The clearance issue is in a tight turn and then throw in slightly uneven terrain and  things could get ugly.

Is tire upgrade possible
Brett63
Just now, Walker said:

The clearance issue is in a tight turn and then throw in slightly uneven terrain and  things could get ugly.

Yep, understand that, that's why I said I would have to go out with a tape and measure......lol I don't know if there is room or not. All the newer highend coaches have moved to 365 as handling and ride is vastly improved. We shall see. I know a few guys that have removed their drives and replaced with 445 super singles. I ran those on my tractor and loved em.

Semi-permanent awning???
FishAR

I wanted to leave my awning out while in florida on my old Windjammer tt so I put limb supports under both ends of the tube and strapped it down with ratchet straps, one end lower than the other.

If things looked bad I'd go through the process of taking it down and putting the awning up.

One beautiful blue sky day I went inside to eat lunch. A storm came out of nowhere and tore everything up, one of the supports, ripped my awning, I had to work to get my door open. It rained so hard the water couldn't get off even though one end was lower than the other, and the weight of the water tore up everything.

Since then I won't tie down an awning. I put bungee cords on my awning shade cloth on the fifth wheel I sold to keep it from blowing around but that's the end of it.

I did discover limb supports through that ordeal though. Very handy. Since my Monaco engine back hood/cover/door won't stay all the way up on it's own I use 2 of them to support it under the metal hinge when I need to be in there.

Semi-permanent awning???
Paul A.
1 hour ago, woodylmiller said:

Girard awning.  Main big awning on curb side of coach.  We are spending the winter in Desert Hot Springs just outside Palm Springs.  The wind really whips here, it's the reason there are several million windmills in the area.  Coach is parked where the curbside is "downwind" to avoid all this wind.  Would like to keep the awning out in spite of the winds.  The wind thingee on the roof doesn't seem to work in terms of bringing the awning in during the gusts.  So, my plan is to place supports under the arms of the awning and then tie down the arms to anchors in the ground using bungee or shock cords to allow for a little give up and down.  Anyone see a problem with this?  I also plan to disconnect the wind thingee just in case it decides to activate a retract while I have the awning tied down.  Thanks, also, no rain expected in the next year, had a down pour yesterday with flash floods that closed roads, hadn't rained in a year.  I will cut the vertical supports to allow for a slight slope for run off should it rain again.

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty

WE had an all Girard awning coach, including slide out toppers. I would not do that. The wind and sudden rain in the desert is so unpredictable. I saw many awnings destroyed by that type of sudden turbulence in our 10 years full timing. We never left our awning out when we were not at the coach, and at night as well. 

Deep Cell Batteries
thomasgibbens

I need to replace my deep cell house batteries after 7 years of use.  My current batteries are Discover-Energy model EVGC6A-B, 6 volt type.  I am leaning towards Interstate batteries but am in need of recommendations and suggestions.  I am also open to other manufacturers.  I could use a comparison chart to match what I have to other manufacturers but don't know if there is such a thing.  

Tom Gibbens

'15 Dynasty 45D

Is tire upgrade possible
Jim McFarland

What is the advantage to going to a larger tire?

Deep Cell Batteries
vito.a

I just replaced our 6-volt deep cycle house batteries.  They were NAPA GC-2 deep cycle six volts that came highly recommended.  They did not last well.  After only two years they were marginal and I replaced them at the three year point.  

I almost went with a build your own lithium battery setup but the cells to make them were backed up 6 months.  I estimated this option at $1000.  Search You Tube for Will Prowse videos on making your own LiFePO4 batteries.  (1007) DIY Solar Power with Will Prowse - YouTube

Sams's Club has Duracell and Costco has Interstate GC-2 golf cart batteries.  Sometimes you can find them for $89.  You may also find less expensive ($179) AGM 6-volt batteries there.  

I went with Trojan T-105 golf cart batteries.  They are made in the USA and I found them at our local golf cart store for $129 each.  In our previous coach I had Trojan batteries that lasted almost 10 years.  The down side is they need periodic watering.  

Another good battery is Lifeline GPL-4CT ($360) or GPL-6CT ($460).  They are AGM type, will last well and not require water.  If they fit the budget they are probably the best conventional battery.  

Make sure you take pictures and also draw the wiring connections.  Hope this helps.  

Is tire upgrade possible
vito.a

Brett, 2009 was the first year for Monaco installing a 315 front tire on the Signature and Marquis.  Prior to that they used a 295/80-22.5.  Several of us with older coaches have installed 315 front tires.

I explain this because the chassis is the same and I doubt you can fit a 365 tire on the right front.  When the steering is turned left, the right front 315 sized tire is very close to the airbag mount.  A 2008 Navigator owner said the 315 did not fit his coach.  (I suspect it was not at ride height).

I think there is a close equivalent to the 295/80-22.5 in a Super Single for the drive axle.  They are expensive, but have a lower rolling resistance and will save on fuel mileage.  

To answer Jim's question as to why a larger tire.  The larger size front tires have a higher load range at a lower tire pressure and ride better.  

Deep Cell Batteries
Jdw12345

I just purchased a used 05 Monaco Dynasty, house batteries are 7 years old and still doing good, there are Fullriver DC250-6’s, lifeline would be a excellent choice also.

Semi-permanent awning???
cbr046

Our roof anemometer (the wind thingie) doesn't seem to respond to wind, but if I get up on the roof and manually spin it then it spins freely.  It's not stuck but I think the wind moves over the top of it.  It did retract automatically once, and another time I felt it was getting too windy I manually retracted the awning.  You can also move the switch out of auto-retract, but as others have said, I wouldn't disable it. 

Try to think of it as a giant parachute or sail . . . which it is. 

- bob

Replace steering shaft
Steven

Hello all,

My 2004 Windsor 40DST needs a new steering shaft and I am unable to find one.

REV group looked it up and it is an obsolete part. They told me the supplier back then was Douglas Auto Tech and gave me their part number 4202116-C.

When I called them they told me the last time they had a request for that was 2009. They can not help me. Can anyone tell me if they have replaced a steering shaft and if so, where was one found? I would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thanks,

Steve.

Is tire upgrade possible
Pampero

I miss the "front" part of the original question.

I guess you will never be able to rotate tires.

My 2000 Windsor has 365/80

Replace steering shaft
vito.a

Call Source Engineering.  These guys were managers at the Monaco plant back in the day.  

Source Engineering Inc | Custom RV Chassis | Eugene, OR (sourcerv.com)
458-207-9442
25375 Loten Way
Veneta, OR 97487

Is tire upgrade possible
Brett63
20 minutes ago, Pampero said:

I miss the "front" part of the original question.

I guess you will never be able to rotate tires.

My 2000 Windsor has 365/80

Thats why most that do the convert, or the ones that come with 365 also have them on the tag.

Replace steering shaft
Dr4Film

Other places to look would be all of the RV Salvage Yards.

Here is a link that will get you to a web site that will list them by state, etc.

http://www.rverscorner.com/rvsalvage.html

Replace steering shaft
JDCrow
9 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Other places to look would be all of the RV Salvage Yards.

Here is a link that will get you to a web site that will list them by state, etc.

http://www.rverscorner.com/rvsalvage.html

Agree, these folks have lots of Monaco salvage coaches

https://usedrvparts.visonerv.com/cgi-bin/f/usedrvpartsrepairandaccessories.pl

Semi-permanent awning???
Ivylog

You can adjust an arm up or down… I would want 1’ difference so water cannot stay on the awning. I would only use ratchet straps to anchors 3-4’ further out from the awning so the arms cannot raise out of the U in the top of your posts.

Semi-permanent awning???
Ivan K

I have enough experience with wind gusts to know that there is no winning. It will always find the weakest spot. Once at Goosenecks, UT, I was watching a couple of MCI conversion rigs relaxing under the awning way past my wind threshold. Looked like they got it all figured out but few gusts later the frame stayed put while they were running around trying to stop the sail from smashing everything around. There's no winning with a solid fabric awning past certain unexpected point. That's why there are wind flaps and shade nets like the military uses.

Is tire upgrade possible
Ivylog

I’ve been running 315s on the front for 10+ years…. no ABS issues. Was a tight fit on the 42’ Dynasty but plenty of clearance to the airbag on the 45 Navigator. I would be concerned that a 365 on a wider rim would rub on the side of the tire in a tight (full lock) turn.

A Intregra  Connerstone was parked next to me this week and I was surprised it had 365s on the front and 6 315s on the rear with a ISL engine. If it weighed enough to need that much tire, (he had not weighed yet) it had to be a slug.

OP, I assume you have 315s all the way around… over kill, but you’re probably running 85 in the drives and 70 in the tags. I’m replacing the cracking 295 Michelin’s on the rear Monday with 11R22.5s…don’t need the load carrying of the 295s and I’m on the heavy side. Putting a 365 on the tag would be even more absurd plus only Michelin makes a 365… reason enough to not go to 365s.

Replace steering shaft
jacwjames

Can you describe what is wrong with your steering shaft. 

The shaft may be repairable or a new one made using the old one as a template.  All the parts should be available, mine consists of a couple small universal joints, a splined slip joint.   A good truck repair shop could possibly make it.

I would confirm the part number, there should be a sticker on it, may be hard to find or wore off though. 

When I was working in the mines ( a life time ago), we could have any drive shaft we used made locally in Knoxville TN. 

Deep Cell Batteries
Ivylog

Got 10+ years out of Interstate engine batteries… doesn’t necessarily apply to their house batteries.
Put 12V AGMs in my Dynasty… lasted 10 years as half timers. Recently got a deal ($900) on 26 100AH Lithium cells so made my own…2-300AH batteries for $1200 and probably 15 hours of my time. Running them (not all of the time) in parallel with my AGM house batteries (still have pretty good life left in them) when dry camping.  
If you DIY Lithiums, they are the same price as AGMs and should last 5X longer. Yes, there is charging when below 32 degrees issues.

Semi-permanent awning???
granvillebarker

Shade sails on Amazon are pretty cheap, I guess adding some anchors to the coach and some type of post for the third corner, you could probably have decent shade with one of the triangle ones.  If it tears up, your not out much and I doubt it would hurt the coach.

Replace steering shaft
JDCrow
9 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

Can you describe what is wrong with your steering shaft. 

The shaft may be repairable or a new one made using the old one as a template.  All the parts should be available, mine consists of a couple small universal joints, a splined slip joint.   A good truck repair shop could possibly make it.

I would confirm the part number, there should be a sticker on it, may be hard to find or wore off though. 

When I was working in the mines ( a life time ago), we could have any drive shaft we used made locally in Knoxville TN. 

This is a good point. Perhaps with some measurements a good truck mechanic shop could get what you need. Yours is possibly are close to a truck steering shaft

Replace steering shaft
jacwjames

Also, the number you posted is a number for a Douglas Auto Tech steering column, not a steering shaft.  Which part do you need.

I have the parts page for my steering column and my steering shaft is a Dana Spicer 916657-437SX, when I do a search I get hits for vendors but it is special order but at least they indicate they can get.  https://www.anythingtruck.com/product/250-916657437SX.html

1 Steering Column.pdf

Three relays with fuses/circuit breakers 2003 HR Endeavor
Cubflyer

So I'm troubleshooting an inop dash A/C and the wiring says there is a relay (for the compressor) in the rear of the coach, I have not looked under a plastic cover in the right rear compartment just above the inverter (compartment aft of the battery compartment).  So I remove the cover and these big relays and 120A fuses or cb's  are there.... can anyone shed some light on what these three do??   They are not the relay I was looking for...  They are not marked and the 'control' wires are just white, no text.IMG_8418.thumb.jpg.38cfabdf962ee3c7636011e97126fe8b.jpg

3rd AC Unit
gjh2916

Has anyone ever replaced the Kool Matic fan over the range with a third AC Unit? Just looking for options on adding a 3rd Unit to my 01 Dynasty.

Ivylog

House batteries feeding various house circuits. Salesman switch controls one of the relays.

cbr046

Can't comment on the wiring but have you checked your freon level (psi)?  Compressor won't energize unless there's enough static pressure in the system. 

As for the wires . . . . I've searched the world over and thought I'd found true love but pfffft can't find an 03 HR Endeavor wiring diagrammmm (to save my life).  If you find one can you share?

- bob

Cubflyer

I know Bob... I have not found one for the HR either, but I found a good one with a TOC for a 2003 Monaco Dynasty that the systems match fairly good.  I tried to post but it is too big (78 MB) .... but the good news is that I found it here in the "downloads".   I'm using the strategy of "the nuts do not fall far from the tree"... and so far the systems are about the same.... 

Dick, makes sense.. they (as far as I can tell) are working fine and not giving me any problems.... I just like to know what things are.... Thanks!

Ken 

jacwjames

These are the relays that control the grid heaters off the start function.  Mine are accessible by removing the engine hatch cover in the bedroom. 

Here's a parts page for my Preheat panel

1 Preheat Panel.pdf

Replace steering shaft
Steven

Thanks Jim, I guess REV Group gave me the wrong number. I need the steering shaft.

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.