Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/557-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Replace steering shaft
jacwjames
3rd AC Unit
RustyTools
3rd AC Unit
gjh2916
Power Stearing Hose HELP!
JSSangalli
Deep Cell Batteries
planodp
Let's Talk Oil . . . .
dandick66
Let's Talk Oil . . . .
Dr4Film
Is tire upgrade possible
dl_racing427
Is tire upgrade possible
David Pratt
Deep Cell Batteries
JDCrow
Is this a good buy? 2004 Dip
JDCrow
Replace steering shaft
jacwjames
Is tire upgrade possible
Donflem
Deep Cell Batteries
vegaman19760
Is tire upgrade possible
Brett63
Is tire upgrade possible
Ivylog
Is tire upgrade possible
Paul A.
Replace steering shaft
Dr4Film
Replace steering shaft
jacwjames
Engine water pump leak
stenderken
Deep Cell Batteries
Ivylog
Is tire upgrade possible
birdshill123
Preventing DUVAC alternator problems
vanwill52
Brake(s) air pressure low…
Gwarsh
Perry Paul
Semi-permanent awning???
FishAR
jacwjames
cbr046
3rd AC Unit
RustyTools
Deep Cell Battery Replacement
Bob Blackmon
Ivylog
Rikadoo
Wiring Diagrams
gjh2916
3rd AC Unit
gjh2916
Frank Bergamo

Replace steering shaft
jacwjames

What is wrong with yours??   My guess is that you may have a U-joint or bearing out but either of these could be sourced and replaced. 

Try contacting Veurinks, https://www.veurinksrv.com/parts-rvs-dealership--parts 

They may have the ability to look up parts for your rig, they sourced a slide motor for me back in 2012 and expedited shipping to where my wife was traveling to. 

3rd AC Unit
RustyTools

We had an 'Atrium' model HR Endeavor several years ago.  Finding that the big Atrium windows and windshield let in a lot of sun/heat in summer, even with the standard 2 AC units running on high, we installed a 3rd unit to replace the overhead kitchen vent. 

The coach had the standard 8k gen-set and had no problem running all 3 AC's at the same time, as long as we were attentive to what other appliances were also being used.  I made a separate 120vac line for it that I could either connect directly to the power pedestal when parked, or run to the block heater outlet/breaker for use when on the road.

Wasn't a very difficult job and it worked superbly, often joking that we could make now the interior cold enough to hang meat.

Good luck!

3rd AC Unit
gjh2916

Ron that is good to hear, I was going to power it off the 20 amp dryer circuit, with a relay to control which appliance to operate, my coach didn't come prewired for a 3rd AC unit. Since I put 2 new Dometic Blizzard units on a couple of years ago, I was thinking about adding another 15K unit  and controlling it with the CCC2 thermostat.

Power Stearing Hose HELP!
JSSangalli

Any tractor or agricultural implement dealer should be able to replace it.

Deep Cell Batteries
planodp

lvylog, if you don't mind where did you get 26 100AH Lithium cells from? Thanks

Let's Talk Oil . . . .
dandick66

About 6 months after I purchased my new to me 2012 Diplomat in 2017, I purchased an oil analysis kit that was in the clearance rack at Camping World.  When I received the test report back it had a large red “stop “ symbol and indicated that my aluminum was at a critical level and the oil should be changed ASAP.  I changed the oil and put in Shell Rotella T6 synthetic.

After I changed the oil I did a lot of internet research on oil analysis.  I found JG Lubricant Services and contacted them.  I actually spoke to the owner and he is an RV’er.  He told me I should send a sample in at about 2500 miles and get a good baseline to develop trend analysis data.  I sent in a sample at about 2500 miles and my aluminum was 104 and was at “1” on a scale of 0-4, with 0-1 being normal, 2-3 above normal and 4 is critical.  The report they send is online and contains more information than I can understand and it also has notes.  Each time the note says to drive 2500 and submit another sample.  My aluminum was at 64 for the last sample and I’m told that the high level on the original sample was possibly due to break-in.  The engine only had 27,000 miles when I submitted the first sample.  I’ve now gone close to 12,000 miles since the oil was changed and will submit another sample in about 2,000 miles.  Once I get the report that indicates it’s time to change the oil, I will have developed my trend and will be able to submit samples less frequently.  

As far as synthetic vs Dino, my understanding is that synthetic is much better for cold weather starts.  I have mixed feelings and will buy synthetic when I can get a good price, but still use Dino in some of my vehicles.  I know there are some oils that have a high zinc content and they are recommended for older engines with solid lifters.  I was surprised to see that Mobil 1 had a relatively high zinc content.  

Here is the link to JG Lubricant Services.

https://jglubricantservices.com/home.html

Dan D, 2012 Diplomat 43DFT, Maxxforce 10

Let's Talk Oil . . . .
Dr4Film

JG Lubricant is one of the best fluid analysis service companies you can use. The president, Tom Johnson worked for Allison and developed the TranSynd Synthetic Transmission fluid for their transmissions.

He knows his stuff!

Is tire upgrade possible
dl_racing427
22 hours ago, Hypoxia said:

I don't think it would affect anything other than the wheel (rim) size capacity and the fit in the wheel well.  When aired down there isn't much room & if the wheel was turned it may contact the fiberglass.  I doubt if ABS cares, it looks at rotation vs. no rotation.

ABS will definitely care.  It looks at individual wheel speed.  There's some allowance built in to account for tire wear and individual variation, but a significant difference in diameter between tires on the same vehicle will cause problems. Changing ALL tires would likely not cause an ABS fault.
And yes, it can also affect ATC, as the same sensors are used.

Is tire upgrade possible
David Pratt

Despite all the previous posts the simple answer is "NO THEY WILL NOT FIT". The newer coaches,(2009 and UP), that have the 365 tires on the steers are either built on the newer Freightliner or Spartan IFS chassis's that are designed to run with these tire. You will not be able to install them on the Roadmaster RR10R or RR8R chassis without some dire consequences. The 315 will be the largest tire you might safely install on your steer axle.

Some of the higher end coaches, Prevost, Foretravel ih-45 and Newell have also started using the 365 on the tag axle. They are doing this to be able to handle the Increase in GVW of these coaches.

For Example; my ih-45 Travel weight is 58,000 lbs.

Deep Cell Batteries
JDCrow

Interstate doesn’t make batteries, kinda a middle man for Excide and other manufactures.

People love Trojan. Myself, I’m just not into the maintenance .  

While I went lithium in my coach, the batteries I put into my boat have been awesome. I think they are worth a look. They make 6v batteries as well

https://www.vmaxtanks.com

Is this a good buy? 2004 Dip
JDCrow
On 9/24/2021 at 12:17 PM, dl_racing427 said:

With my boats it was always the quest for one more mph.  A prop could run into the thousands, plus bottom blueprinting, engine mods, and on and on and on, and that was many years ago. 😎

Thankfully I have not been bit by that bug. I’m just a fisherman. Solitude on the lake 

6363ED51-14E1-400B-9C2F-6BF8BB8A559C.jpeg

0AD54C20-2711-46B1-9757-1840F65C22CF.jpeg

Replace steering shaft
jacwjames
12 hours ago, Steven said:

Thanks Jim, I guess REV Group gave me the wrong number. I need the steering shaft.

I went back and looked at the parts page I posted and it does have the same number as you posted with a note that it was used after 2/01/02. 

But it doesn't list two different steering columns.  So I wonder if the other number for the Dana Spicer would work,  When I do a search for that I get hits. 

Here is the REV site showing your steering shaft using the old Monaco number

https://revrvparts.com/item-detail?itemId=23882&organizationId=9

Wonder why it says it can be ordered with an 11 day lead time???

Is tire upgrade possible
Donflem

😳58,000 wow. I’m amazed every day at the stuff I hear and learn from you guys. I’m so grateful for this blog.

Don

Deep Cell Batteries
vegaman19760

Years ago I replaced my 6 Volt Acid batteries, that I had to maintain the water level constantly, with 6 Volt Interstate AGM maintenance free (almost) sealed batteries.   They are almost the exact same size of the original batteries so no problem replacing where old ones were.  My Interstate dealer installed the new AGM batteries at no charge.  They charge faster and hold their charge longer.  Less generator time when dry camping.

Make sure your inverter is usable with AGM batteries.  They are more expensive and heavier but the advantages are worth it.  No matter what battery you have, always maintain the battery terminals from corrosion and check tightness as the roads we use these days are mot the smoothest and vibrations can cause problems.  More free time not to worrying about battery fluid levels.

Is tire upgrade possible
Brett63
17 hours ago, Ivylog said:

I’ve been running 315s on the front for 10+ years…. no ABS issues. Was a tight fit on the 42’ Dynasty but plenty of clearance to the airbag on the 45 Navigator. I would be concerned that a 365 on a wider rim would rub on the side of the tire in a tight (full lock) turn.

A Intregra  Connerstone was parked next to me this week and I was surprised it had 365s on the front and 6 315s on the rear with a ISL engine. If it weighed enough to need that much tire, (he had not weighed yet) it had to be a slug.

OP, I assume you have 315s all the way around… over kill, but you’re probably running 85 in the drives and 70 in the tags. I’m replacing the cracking 295 Michelin’s on the rear Monday with 11R22.5s…don’t need the load carrying of the 295s and I’m on the heavy side. Putting a 365 on the tag would be even more absurd plus only Michelin makes a 365… reason enough to not go to 365s.

Yes I have 315's everywhere and I run 85 in all six on the rear and 100 in the steers

Is tire upgrade possible
Ivylog

David, what are your axle weights and psi on your Foretravel?

Is tire upgrade possible
Paul A.

I ran 315's on all 8 positions on a 07 Executuve for 78K . 

Replace steering shaft
Dr4Film

Jim,

I doubt that REV would stock these on their shelves ready to ship put. Plus I would imagine that once REV orders it from their supplier they may have to build one pack it and ship to REV, then they in turn would ship it to the person unless the supplier does "drop ship".

Replace steering shaft
jacwjames

Richard>>>>   You are right

Plus from what I've seen there would be a ~100% markup on price.

Best bet would be to remove the old one and repair or have one made like it. 

Engine water pump leak
stenderken

The water pump on my 2009 Dynasty ISL has started a small leak and it's time to think about pump replacement.  I would like to replace the pump, idlers, tensioner and serpentine belt while doing the replacement.  I remember seeing a posting some time back about a member buying a kit containing all of these items but couldn't find the article in the archives.  Does anyone have this info?

Ken Stender

09 Dynasty Bishop IV

Deep Cell Batteries
Ivylog
5 hours ago, planodp said:

lvylog, if you don't mind where did you get 26 100AH Lithium cells from? Thanks

Found them on FB. Guy bought them (probably Ali) for a Gem car/golf cart but the built in charger would not charge them enough. Since I have a Gem I felt he was honest and my son was going to be in his area I went out on the limb and 

Just went to Ali and ordered 8-280AH cells for $370 delivered before 12/4… probably too good to be true but worth a try. Bought 2-200A BMS for $30 and probably $40 in cables and lugs…560AH for $440 plus probably 10 hours of my time. Like I said…too good to be true but we’ll see.

2D8720DA-0A3F-4735-926B-84F167A8DA96.png

EDD5AC82-3158-4386-B194-B82F952972DA.png

Is tire upgrade possible
birdshill123

Pompeo. Why would anyone rotate tires on a MH? Definitely  not a standard practice and of no value. Tags and Duallies wear differently than steers. Besides most owners change tires due to age not wear.

vanwill52
On 9/22/2021 at 4:08 PM, Perry Paul said:

Van,

Great post! I am fairly new to all of this but I have had to figure a few things out so I'm not completely green. I am one who had the change the Duvac alt a few years ago! I also changed the large Isolator a year ago and I am faced with changing it again even tho I went with one rated at slightly higher amps than what I had. I'm not sure why there are two but the small one still works.

Needless too say, I want to save the alternator and I don't want to keep replacing the SSI so your post is exactly what I needed to see, especially because its a more efficient charge for the batteries from what I'm reading. That said, I am not familiar with the BIRD, IRD, Big boy, or the Lambert charger or where they are or if I even have them. Does your picture show any of those components or would I be removing them at this time? I have a Magnum inverter/charger which is all I know for sure.  

To do what you did in the pictures you provided, is seems simple enough to follow your wiring or should I study mine further to understand what all I have? I also see the ML-ACR has control wires...  are they defined in the installation instructions?

Van, did you also replace the BIRD and IRD with the ML-ACR?

I apologize for all the questions. I am just afraid to get far into this and not come out the other end with it not working. I am an experienced mechanic so I think I know when to jump in and when not to but I would really appreciate anything you can help with!

Thanks again for posting!

Perry

P.S. I can download pictures of what I have if necessary although it is very similar to what you have since mine is just a year older Monaco.

Perry, the first pix I posted shows the original SSI, the Lambert Charger, and the Battery Boost (Big Boy) contactor.  It also shows the original Master Cut-Off Switches for the Chassis and Coach.  I replaced those switches simply because of their age and that they looked gimpy.  The second pix shows the SSI, Lambert, and Big Boy removed and replaced by the ML-ACR.  The second pix also shows the two replacement Blue Sea Master Cut-Off switches installed.

It really is a very simple installation if you do not have a BIRD or IRD, and probably is only marginally more difficult if you DO have those two systems.  You will likely need to have at least (1) 4/0 cable made to suit your installation.  If you cannot locate the existing bundle of unused wires in the driver console that run to the engine area, you must run one additional wire if you wish to install the remote switch.  I highly recommend the remote switch.  You can activate any function of the ML-ACR using nothing but the yellow knob on top of the ML-ACR, but the remote switch is quite handy.

Once again, in summary, the ML-ACR does only ONE thing--It either connects both battery banks together, or disconnects them, based on whether a charging voltage (from ANY source) is present.  Your alternator will continue to charge your chassis batteries, regardless the position of the ML-ACR, and will charge both battery banks any time ANY charging source is available.  When you come to a stop and cut the engine off, the ML-ACR will have both your battery banks combined.  After a short delay with no charging voltage coming from the alternator, the ML-ACR will disconnect the battery banks, preserving your chassis batteries.  When you plug into a pedestal, your inverter/charger will present a charging voltage, and the ML-ACR will once again connect both battery banks until that charging voltage disappears.  The remote switch allows you to FORCE a disconnect of the two banks, or for battery boost requirements, FORCE them to be connected.

Gwarsh

SCEANRIO:

1. 2005 Beaver Marquis

2. RV was in storage for 12-months

3. Normally… upon starting, the brake “air pressure low alarm” will sound for a couple of minutes (until ~70-PSI has been reached

4. Now… after starting (since being in storage) and while sitting at idle, the air pressure will only reach about 65-PSI.   Thus causing a continuous low pressure alarm condition.  

HOWEVER… IF the the engines RPM’s are increased for a couple of minutes, then the pressure will build-up and stabilize around 90-PSI on the low end.  From there… the air pressure will then fluctuate between ~90-130 PSI, until sitting in an idle condition for longer than about 3-4 minutes.  I’ve also noticed that the fluctuation time seems to be faster if going up hill…

I suspect a small air leak somewhere and the “fluctuating” of the air pressure (between 90-130 PSI) is due to the cycling of compressor…. ?

Any thoughts and/or recommendations are appreciated!

thanks in advance,

steve

Drivers side rear slide won’t come out
LarryB

When I put the slide in this morn I heard a click like a tooth was missing in a gear. Now in camp I hear the motor but no movement. I believe I read where u can manually mechanically move the slide. Any help will b grtly appreciated. Thx my DIY friends, AGAIN

Perry Paul

Thanks for the clear explanation on how the MR-ACR works. Makes perfect sence. I have ordered the ML-ACR so I’ll probably install it next week.

I’m not sure where to look to see if I have a BIRD or IRD. I don’t see any other electronics near magnum inverter/ charger or in the engine compartment other than a surge protector. Would they be any where else? 

I’m so glad to found your post. I would have picked up another SSI since this one quit again within two years and maybe wrecked another alternator. 

Thanks again Van! So appreciated 

Semi-permanent awning???
FishAR

Not a help for someone on the move, but I'm building a shade cloth structure for my patio at The Glades where we spend the winter. A neighbor has one and I've stared at it long enough.

Approx 15 ft x 3.5 ft made out of 5 - 4x4 legs and just enough 2x4 wall and roof supports to hold it together. Tie a few ground anchors to a few of the 4x4's so it won't turn over. Shade cloth along the long side. Possibly a cheap tarp on top instead of shade cloth just in case I want to sit under it during a drizzle.

I had measurements for all of it for when I had the fifth wheel, now that we've got the Monaco I'll have to remeasure because of different slide placement.

Taking my carpentry tools with me. I fully expect the Glades County inspector to give me grief but I'll spar with him since it isn't going to be in the ground.

jacwjames
17 minutes ago, Perry Paul said:

Thanks for the clear explanation on how the MR-ACR works. Makes perfect sence. I have ordered the ML-ACR so I’ll probably install it next week.

I’m not sure where to look to see if I have a BIRD or IRD. I don’t see any other electronics near magnum inverter/ charger or in the engine compartment other than a surge protector. Would they be any where else? 

I’m so glad to found your post. I would have picked up another SSI since this one quit again within two years and maybe wrecked another alternator. 

Thanks again Van! So appreciated 

Perry,

What coach do you have. 

Here is a link to what a BIRD looks like.  http://www.nwrvsupply.com/product/00-00839-000.html  

Mine is located in the rear passenger side electrical bay along with the Lambert maintainer and next to is is where my isolation relay was.  I simply removed the isolation relay and replaced it with the Bluesea ML-ACR. 

One of the previous posts had a picture of the IRD.

cbr046

A leak like that you should be able to hear at ground level (with the engine off, of course). 

Keep us posted. 

- bob

Drivers side rear slide won’t come out
cbr046

Have you checked the owners manual for a manual procedure?

- bob

Question for Owners of WINDSORS Originally Equipped with Trace Engineering RV2012 Inverter/Charger
AlanC2

Thanks again to everyone for your suggestions.  I finally had the time and the weather to do the install of the Magnum MS2012 inverter/charger, the remote, and the AGS module. When I was removing the Trace RV2012, I discovered the apparent source of my problems with the old inverter.  One of the HOT OUT wires was loose enough in the connection to come right out and was apparently making an intermittent contact. I wanted to switch to a pure sine wave inverter anyway, so finding my problems were caused by a loose wire did not change my desire to make the swap. It went pretty smoothly, but I do want to mention that my wire colors for the AGS did not match any description I've seen in any of the posts on the subject. I had red, green, brown and my generator sense wire (Blue) was right in the old Trace as part of the wire bundle.  Thanks Jim J for mentioning that possibility. Also thanks to Vito for the tip about the jumper between the two pins on the AGS plug rather than using a separate ground wire. It makes a difference.  Everything tested out okay and works well.  No sparks, no glowing cables, or smoke.

AlanC2

2002 Windsor PST

3rd AC Unit
RustyTools

At first blush, I'd say your idea should work, Gary.  Dunno though, if you have an EMS system, they can act strange at times.

It's been a few years and I don't remember exactly how I wired it in the panel, but I think I switched out one single AC breaker for a tandem breaker in the main box.  I used a heavy-duty DPDT-center-off appliance switch to control mine when changing power sources.

As an aside, when I was redoing the power, I ran another line from each AC breaker in the panel to the floor area near the AC's and installed outlets so I could plug in little cube heaters when needed.  That way, I wasn't doubling-up on drawing off big loads on a line.  I also couldn't think of a time when I'd be using an AC and a heater simultaneously, so it seemed like an obvious choice.

Deep Cell Battery Replacement
Bob Blackmon

I don't believe there is a better AGM battery made than Discover. They are worth the price.

Ivylog

Normally you may be starting with some air in the system… mine takes for ever to build if I don’t increase the rpms to 1200. I do a brake test once the compressor unloads at 135psi… release the parking brake and put the brakes on and hold for 30 seconds. Pressure should lower but then remain the same while holding the brakes on. After releasing, the psi should not change for 30-45 seconds.  If doing a CDL test you hold for a minute but allowed a 4 psi drop.

Rikadoo

So my 03 has 3 air tank valves, 1 on the rear by the hitch an 2 in front next to the genny…when you shut off the engine do you hear air leaking, perhaps one may be leaking?

Wiring Diagrams
gjh2916

MY question is the 1/2" cable loom labeled D-39 on one end and 18 on the other. It says these are spare wires. I would like to use the 18/2 shielded wire to attach to fuel pressure sending unit and gauge on other end at steering wheel. These diagrams came out of my wiring diagram book for my 01 Dynasty. My question is where are the ends located in coach?

SEC#1 Wiring Diagram.jpg

SEC#2 Wiring Diagram.jpg

SEC#3 Wiring Diagram.jpg

SEC#4 Wiring Legend.jpg

3rd AC Unit
gjh2916

If my coach was factory wired for a 3rd AC unit. That is how it would have been done. I will just extended the dryer plug wiring to the new AC unit, and add a contactor to control which appliance gets the power.

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.