10kw generator code 45

Flyinhy

Gotta love the codes that send you from stator to rotor to fuel supply to controller. Been there and needed a 12.5 stator. These are impossible to get but went across a very good priced new 10k stator for on ebay at that time if you end up like me. Wish you an easy fix!

Just experienced a code 45. Ended up having to replace the control board. Flight Systems has copies of the original. They accept returns with a 25% restocking fee within 30 days. Restocking will cost you about $125 but still a lot cheaper than hiring a tech to dig into it if it’s not the issue. 

Just now, Chargerman said:

Just experienced a code 45. Ended up having to replace the control board. Flight Systems has copies of the original. They accept returns with a 25% restocking fee within 30 days. Restocking will cost you about $125 but still a lot cheaper than hiring a tech to dig into it if it’s not the issue. 

I've been doing some research and that's cheap compared to replacing the stator and rotor. This coach has been sitting a while and I have limited time during the day to work on it but little by little I'll figure it out. I have the original paperwork on it and all it says is contact cummins (onan) service......all I can see there is dollar signs floating out the window.....

There must be a procedure somewhere to eliminate potential items without just replacing parts. I could only be so lucky for that to be all that's wrong with it. The unit has 900 hrs on it. 

Thanks for the pointer......I'll check that tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Ivan K said:

Gotta love the codes that send you from stator to rotor to fuel supply to controller. Been there and needed a 12.5 stator. These are impossible to get but went across a very good priced new 10k stator for on ebay at that time if you end up like me. Wish you an easy fix!

Is there no way to eliminate problems without calling cummins? 

Everything I'm reading.....just like you're saying, could be 15 different things causing it not to turnover. 

Onan is very protective of any information. You can’t even look at the parts list for your model on their site without a login. I just saw that the control board was a possible culprit with a code 45 and after searching practically everywhere for info without and luck I went for it and ordered the board. Fortunately it was the issue. My generator only has about 1200 hours on it. 

I used Cummins/Onan service manual where they list resistance values and tests for the various windings but the problems is with needing really precise meters to measure really small resistance values and really big isolation values correctly. At the end I found my burned winding visually which of course took a complete disassembly of the unit. Hope not your case.

23 hours ago, Ivan K said:

I used Cummins/Onan service manual where they list resistance values and tests for the various windings but the problems is with needing really precise meters to measure really small resistance values and really big isolation values correctly. At the end I found my burned winding visually which of course took a complete disassembly of the unit. Hope not your case.

Well, I did the same today. I got the old fluke out and started checking all my connections , voltages and resistances. I took the top cover off and checked connection at the board and found no voltage telling the starter to fire. I wiggled the K1 relay wires and K2.......boom 13.3 volts. She tried to start but didn't. I tried again a few minutes later and a little white smoke and boom!!! Running like a champ. This coach has been sitting for a long time and I know all the fluids and filters need to changed. 

Funny thing happened when it started too. Charging stopped for about 10 minutes then all of a sudden....started back. I'm trying to understand how everything works on this system.....you almost need to be an electrical engineer........

Thanks for all the help you guys give me.....I need it.