Cummins 400ISL Oil Change and Transmission Service

6 hours ago, FishAR said:

Not a good Camelot day. For starters I got the title back and the know it all old hag at the dmv that gave me so much trouble managed to get Monaco Camalot on the title. Can't read, spell, or type and also sucks at public relations. Just a small aggravation I guess.

Went to the truck shop to see why I hadn't heard anything. I get "we had to drop the pan to see what filters the transmission took so we could order them, you've got your allison 1000's, 2000's,3000's. I was just getting ready to call about where they were at."

I said It's a 3000, I told you all that.  I've got a printout of every filter and fluid that goes in that motorhome laying on the kitchen table. I was trying to explain that and other things about what I wanted done to your guy when I brought it in but he let me know you all were experts and my input wasn't needed. So you all really haven't done anything yet.

"No sir but we're right on it as soon as those filters arrive, we want to do it all at once"

I said Well you've got my number so how about giving me a call about progress every now and then. This was supposed to be 2 days, this is 3 days already. 

-----------------------------------------------------

I'll do things different next time for sure.

I'm in the process of changing all the fluids on my executive. $600 in filters and oil alone so far and I haven't started on the generator yet. Im tackling the transmission tomorrow. It shouldn't take more than a hour or so.  Taking the pan down doesn't make sense at all. The two filter housings are hard to miss. I'm curious as to what they charge you for that mistake. 

I think I misspoke. Now I don't actually remember him saying anything about the pan after thinking about it.

He said We had to get the filters out to look at them to make sure we get the right ones.

Everything I've ever worked on required dropping the pan to change the trans filter and I've never been under this Camelot.

So when I went back out to my truck, half aggravated, and my wife asked me what was going on in the process of telling her I said Since they'd have to drop the pan to get to the filters now I can't even tell them I'm unhappy, forget it, and drive it out of here.

So this was concocted out of my own ignorance and frustration.

I'm appreciative of you all and the knowledge of the trans filters. I feel a little better now. I was thinking I'd got myself in a scenario of "they tore it down to trap me here".

So much to learn.

Went up and checked on the Monaco and we have progress. Oil and filter changed, tranny fluid and filter changed, belts changed, generator fixed.

AC compressor is burned up. Told him to call me with the price for a new one (Pretty sure I've seen them at $250)

Check engine light traces to high fuel pressure, a bad fuel pressure regulator and they're trying to locate one, think they've found one.

AC compressor $350 plus labor. 2 hours.

High fuel pressure problem caused by stuck fuel pressure regulator valve/sensor/something or other, part is $390 and they don't know labor cause they've never done it before on a motorhome. 

I think I saw the compressors for $100 less. Know nothing about the valve but I did an internet search and did see a guy on an rv forum say it was a $400+ job  including part and the post was 10 years old and he claimed to be a mechanic.

Just do it, get it done, I'll sit on a pillow for awhile. I want this thing home.

• 2 weeks later...

Used the Speedco this morning near Lansing Michigan. I called this morning at 7:30 and they said no waiting. I was there about an hour later and pulled right in. I had engine oil and chassis lube done. Gave them a diagram showing all the lube zerks on my chassis, just in case. I supplied the three filters. I had them use Loves 15W40 bulk oil.  Done in less than an hour. Cost $195 plus filters. 

• Like 1

Got a text, motorhome is done. Called and asked why they changed fuel filters as I had changed them right before I took it up there. They said Their mistake so they took that off the bill.
$3155.84

Generator repair
Oil and filter
Trans oil and filters
New belts
Grease
New air conditioning compressor
New fuel pressure valve

Now if it will just quit raining I'll go get it in a bit.

How much they charged me for the oil change will determine if I let them do it next year or not.

Edited by FishAR

3 minutes ago, FishAR said:

Got a text, motorhome is done. Called and asked why they changed fuel filters as I had changed them right before I took it up there. They said Their mistake so they took that off the bill.
$3155.84
Oil and filter
Trans oil and filters
New belts
Grease
New fuel pressure valve

How much they charged me for the oil change will determine if I let them do it next year or not.

Considering everything they did , that's not too bad. I'm sure the parts alone were 2000. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, FishAR said:

$3155.84

Generator repair
Oil and filter
Trans oil and filters
New belts
Grease
New fuel pressure valve

Was this work done at a Speedco?  If so, I didn’t know they could all that work. What was done to the generator?  

49 minutes ago, Pduggs said:

Was this work done at a Speedco?  If so, I didn’t know they could all that work. What was done to the generator?  

No, a local truck shop.

Generator wouldn't start. I changed the oil and filter, fuel filter, air cleaner. Still wouldn't start.

They said I had a leak in a fuel line. No fuel on the floor though so I guess it was sucking air? 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, FishAR said:

$3155.84

Generator repair
Oil and filter
Trans oil and filters
New belts
Grease
New fuel pressure valve

Did they change the A/C receiver dryer as well? Supposed to be standard every time the R134 system is opened up.

A/C compressors don’t just burn up. They fail when they run with low (or no) refrigerant, or due to debris in the system. Did they check/change the pressure switch that’s supposed do disengage the compressor clutch if the pressure is too low. Expansion valve OK? Did they let you know what the high and low pressures were after they recharged the system, and the output air temperature differential?

Not saying they didn’t do a thorough job, but “we fixed it” might not be enough info…

On 10/6/2021 at 8:45 PM, Flyinhy said:

I'm in the process of changing all the fluids on my executive. $600 in filters and oil alone so far and I haven't started on the generator yet. Im tackling the transmission tomorrow. It shouldn't take more than a hour or so.  Taking the pan down doesn't make sense at all. The two filter housings are hard to miss. I'm curious as to what they charge you for that mistake. 

Sounds like you’re getting some pretty good prices. Assuming the Exec has the Allison 4000, I’d have expected almost $600 in Transynd alone! 😂

• Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 6:47 AM, FishAR said:

No, a local truck shop.

Generator wouldn't start. I changed the oil and filter, fuel filter, air cleaner. Still wouldn't start.

They said I had a leak in a fuel line. No fuel on the floor though so I guess it was sucking air? 

I was reading something today about holding the stop switch to stop for a few seconds to prime it after filter change.

14 hours ago, BigNick said:

I was reading something today about holding the stop switch to stop for a few seconds to prime it after filter change.

Yeah, after you change the filter, your going to need to hold the stop side of the switch for a minute or more.

On 10/1/2021 at 7:59 PM, vito.a said:

Our transmission dip stick and filler tube are under the bedroom hatch.  

Also, be careful what transmission fluid they use.  Most commercial truck places do not use Allison Transynd as it is priced very high.  

Allison has a different maintenance interval for non synthetic trans oil.