Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/563-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Rhino liner on the front
Pepperell
Aqua Hot front zone not heating
Pduggs
Class A mirrors
David White
Toad Breakaway Cable
Gary 05 AMB DST
Toad Breakaway Cable
David White
Preventing DUVAC alternator problems
pwhittle
Chargerman
Toad Breakaway Cable
96 EVO
Toad Breakaway Cable
Jim Byrd
2011 Camelot--all power to dash lost
vanwill52
Skipjack
vanwill52
98 Dynasty headlight upgrade
JM1998
Air bag reducer bushing
georgeandlouise1
JDCrow
vanwill52
JM1998
No dash switches work
Brett63
Air bag reducer bushing
Rikadoo
Air bag reducer bushing
georgeandlouise1
Air bag reducer bushing
gdroberson
Air bag reducer bushing
Hypoxia
Air bag reducer bushing
georgeandlouise1
JDCrow
No dash switches work
Frank McElroy
Another trip, another new adventure
mrbill1951
Ray Davis
xdieselbob
Engine Temps Rising Again Update
Frank McElroy
Windshield Wiper trouble
whaley96raw
Scott 61
Air bag reducer bushing
Hypoxia
Windshield Wiper trouble
Scotty Hutto

Rhino liner on the front
Pepperell

I have the color matched coating on mine.  The match is quite good.  Be aware that the dappled/stippled surface reflects light differently than the flat surface of the original paint, so depending on the time of day and direction of the light source can make it look mismatched.  
I do have a lot of lookers staring at the front of my coach.  Most of them think it looks fine.  

Pduggs

I don’t think I’ve tried it with the slides in. 

I haven’t changed the fluid. Likely original fluid with some added over time. It’s dark in color. I believe I read Aqua-Hot doesn’t recommend replacing the fluid unless it’s contaminated or lost it’s effectiveness. I did check it with a 3-1 refractometer and it was within spec. 

Class A mirrors
David White

Rik, if yours (Ramco) are similar to mine, those heads are actually plastic. I’ve discussed my issues with Dave and you’ll find that he can plate the arms, but not the head.  Dave keeps some of the replated parts in stock, so he can help with them.  I’m not sure what to do on the chromed head however.

Toad Breakaway Cable
Gary 05 AMB DST
11 hours ago, David White said:

I guess my assumption that the safety cables are designed to catch the toad in case of break away (before brake activation) might not be the only option on this. I  prefer the brake activation in case the cables fail. My assumption would mean the brake cable would be longer.

I had assumed also that the extra pressure put on the cables by the braking could actually over stress and cause the safety cables to fail. Then, even though braking, the car is loose and possibly damage or injure others behind me.  I had rather take the damage to my vehicles than risk what could happen to others.

Apparently there are more schools of thought on this subject.

David, I just switched to the RVi3 braking system. In their installation instructions they said that as long as there is power going to the RVi and the pin is pulled, the brakes will stay on. Since the power is from the battery, the breakaway will remain activated. Seems like if the safety cables don't do their job, the responsibility falls on Blue Ox.

Gary 05 AMB DST

Toad Breakaway Cable
David White

Gary, I understand but it seems the safety cables are the weak link, in most.  Maybe the RVi3 is better, but a car with brakes applied would increase the stress on the cables. BlueOx is unlikely to take responsibility for anything, including the failure of towbars in most cases. Maybe RVi3 would since it’s built in to the setup.  

I’m an ideal situation, I would want the safety cables to hold and the brakes on the car to keep it from crashing into my coach, or anything.

Preventing DUVAC alternator problems
pwhittle

Red - Items and wires to remove these
Blue - New ML-ACR
Yellow - Chassis batteries connection to ML-ACR
Purple - House batteries connection to ML-ACR

You need to make the small wire connections to the ML-ACR

image.png.df08f07502f29338cf6af8658597494a.png

Chargerman

Ok. I was just curious if the fluid was recently changed as it would be cause for air in the system. Would be a bit surprised to see air in your system if nothing was changed out and/or your fluid never got low. 

Toad Breakaway Cable
96 EVO

Some say the breakaway lanyard should be longer than the safety cables, and only activate the brakes with a total failure.

I'm with you. Activate the brakes first and hopefully the toad doesn't run into the back of the coach, or, God forbid, My Harley 😲!

Toad Breakaway Cable
Jim Byrd

I have first hand experience, I was rear ended while in a turning lane. At the time of the accident we were in the left hand turning lane and was stopped waiting for the oncoming traffic lane to clear when the right rear of toad was hit. Both safety cables broke as well as the tow bar collapsing. The brake safety did not pull loose or break. The toad did move because the damage jammed the right rear wheel. My toad wa totaled. Fortunately my MH only suffered minor damage, radiator, fan and lower center grill were the destroyed, only minor body damage.

There also was no injuries.

Cummins 400ISL Oil Change and Transmission Service
96 EVO
13 hours ago, vito.a said:

Our transmission dip stick and filler tube are under the bedroom hatch.  

Also, be careful what transmission fluid they use.  Most commercial truck places do not use Allison Transynd as it is priced very high.  

Believe I have both. Above the trans, and in front of the engine.

Chuck B

The name of the game is "Communication".  Call the dealer before arriving, talk to the service manager telling him what you expect with your service.  At the write up desk, request in writing what you need/want.  Talk to the technician before he starts the service to make sure he understands what you want.  If the dealer does not honor your requests, go to a dealer who will.  Then take a drive before paying to make sure everything works.  

Motorhomes are more difficult to work on.  Many shops assign their newest technician to service a coach.  Stay with the coach to watch the service performed.  Carry a fold up chair so you can sit at the stall opening to watch.  If they do not like that, take your business elsewhere.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

96 EVO
41 minutes ago, Chuck B said:

Motorhomes are more difficult to work on.  Many shops assign their newest technician to service a coach.  Stay with the coach to watch the service performed.  Carry a fold up chair so you can sit at the stall opening to watch.  

I guess bringing a 6-pack would be a no-no 🤔.

vanwill52

Once again trying to help a friend with a problem remotely. He is located in FL, several hundred miles from me. I do not have access to his wiring diagrams.

He has total loss of power to his instrument panel and AC blower. Speedo, tach, and all instruments go dead, but coach continues to drive OK. On my 2000 Dynasty, when that happened to me, it was a single contactor in the FRB. It looked like an old Ford starter relay. I could tap it lightly with a screwdriver handle and all power would be restored. I replaced the contactor and never had another problem.

His coach is much newer than mine and has a multitude of small relays on a printed circuit board, and nothing that resembles my layout. I’m assuming there is one relay or contactor that provides power to the dash and AC blower. I tend to doubt it’s one of those small Bosch-type relays.

We replaced all his house batteries with AGM’s before our last trip together and had no issues. His engine will start normally.

Has anyone ever dealt with this same problem?

Skipjack

I had the same thing on my 2003 HR Neptune.

ended up finding a bad relay in one of the Monoco relay boxes. There is one that brings on power to the dash.

I went ahead and replaced them all.

4442C281-86B1-4D5B-BB61-49318C8C4EBC.jpeg

AC1FB57D-1DF3-4CFC-A7C8-7979157E8723.jpeg

Chuck B

Not unless you want to be a DWI candidate on the way home..  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

FishAR
10 minutes ago, Chuck B said:

Not unless you want to be a DWI candidate on the way home..  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Definitely don't need that. I'm still on my class b "learner's permit", I just found out I need a special license to drive this thing a few weeks ago.

Chuck B

Does your state require an air brake endorsement?  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

vanwill52

Thanks, Skipjack.  I'll have him look.  Are these in the FRB?

FishAR
18 minutes ago, Chuck B said:

Does your state require an air brake endorsement?  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

No, just a class b non cdl license for over 26,000 pounds.

JM1998

Is there a headlight upgrade for a 98 Monaco Dynasty? The headlights really date the look of the coach.

Thanks for any info.

Ivylog

OP, unless you’ve moved from Fla, you do not not need a B. You can drive a non commercial Motorhome with a regular Fla license. If it’s tagged in a business then yes a B.

Makeup oil for the tranny requires the hatch in the bedroom opened… not the one in the closet.

Air bag reducer bushing
georgeandlouise1

We have a 2007 Monaco Dynasty Countess 3 and want to change the rear air bags.  We have Contitech 9 9 -12 and have ordered the replacements.  We need the 3/4 to 1/4 push on air fitting reducer bushing.

We have tried Napa but they don’t stock any and said they can’t order it.

The picture shows my existing bushing that I will need to replace.  Does anyone know where I can order replacements?  

I will appreciate help!

George

E545F1AC-3EEE-455A-81C8-8875839F3115.jpeg

JDCrow
58 minutes ago, JM1998 said:

Is there a headlight upgrade for a 98 Monaco Dynasty? The headlights really date the look of the coach.

Thanks for any info.

Those look like 1987-1991 Ford truck lights.

They are doubled up on your coach, so not sure what’s high/low beams 

Anyway, for the best, projectors all the way 

https://outlawleds.com/1987-1991-ford-obs-projector-headlights/

Not cheap, but the light up the night, legally 

A58D3749-1D25-4E3E-B9AC-F2A545249B2B.jpeg

Brett63
5 hours ago, vanwill52 said:

Once again trying to help a friend with a problem remotely. He is located in FL, several hundred miles from me. I do not have access to his wiring diagrams.

He has total loss of power to his instrument panel and AC blower. Speedo, tach, and all instruments go dead, but coach continues to drive OK. On my 2000 Dynasty, when that happened to me, it was a single contactor in the FRB. It looked like an old Ford starter relay. I could tap it lightly with a screwdriver handle and all power would be restored. I replaced the contactor and never had another problem.

His coach is much newer than mine and has a multitude of small relays on a printed circuit board, and nothing that resembles my layout. I’m assuming there is one relay or contactor that provides power to the dash and AC blower. I tend to doubt it’s one of those small Bosch-type relays.

We replaced all his house batteries with AGM’s before our last trip together and had no issues. His engine will start normally.

Has anyone ever dealt with this same problem?

Would help to know what coach your friend has.

vanwill52

It's in the TITLE of the post.  2011 Camelot.  Thanks.

JM1998

I appreciate the link. I will definitely look into these.

No dash switches work
Brett63

Well after a few hard days of troubleshooting in every manner known to man it appears that I have even stumped the man..........Frank McIlroy......We have worked this issue to the end of the world. Still have nothing working on the front half of the chassis multiplex as it pertains to no dash switches work at all. 

All I can say is that I have learned a ton about this coach and the chacssis multiplex system. I can tell you how things are wired, where the wires go, ho to test them all, how the system works and everything else about it. Frank and I can tell you everything NOT causing the issue but we cannot tell you what IS causing the issue.

I can't say thank you to Frank enough, even though this appears to be beating us. It is not for a lack of trying and Mr Frank has been there everytime I have needed to help guide me and confirm my thoughts.

Air bag reducer bushing
Rikadoo

Here in Northern California I use fleet pride truck parts they usually carry a lot of stuff like that.

Air bag reducer bushing
georgeandlouise1

Thanks will check with them

Air bag reducer bushing
gdroberson

amazon

Air bag reducer bushing
Hypoxia

You will probably just re-use the bushing since they require a 1 1/4" hole and Monaco supplied a 1 1/8" hole so you have to remove the bushing (1 1/8" Socket) to get the air spring out.  All you need to buy are the 1/4" elbows since the easiest way to remove them is by snapping them off on some locations ( thank you HockeyDiesel) or just removing them on accessible locations.

I used a 1 1/4" wrench and a crescent to remove the air line nut and 3/4" socket to remove the air spring nuts.

Air bag reducer bushing
georgeandlouise1

Thanks for your information.  Will try to buy some.

george

If I buy the elbows do you think I steel need to buy 1/4 inch push on hose fitting?

JDCrow
2 hours ago, JM1998 said:

I appreciate the link. I will definitely look into these.

Let me know if they are the same as the Ford? Mine are off an E-Series ford van. Bargain bin.

For curiosity, and in free time, look up Lamborghini uses Nissan headlights 

No dash switches work
Frank McElroy
1 hour ago, Brett63 said:

Well after a few hard days of troubleshooting in every manner known to man it appears that I have even stumped the man..........Frank McIlroy......We have worked this issue to the end of the world. Still have nothing working on the front half of the chassis multiplex as it pertains to no dash switches work at all. 

All I can say is that I have learned a ton about this coach and the chacssis multiplex system. I can tell you how things are wired, where the wires go, ho to test them all, how the system works and everything else about it. Frank and I can tell you everything NOT causing the issue but we cannot tell you what IS causing the issue.

I can't say thank you to Frank enough, even though this appears to be beating us. It is not for a lack of trying and Mr Frank has been there everytime I have needed to help guide me and confirm my thoughts.

Brett, thanks for the kind words. 

The good news is that at least the coach can be driven in daytime with the stop, signal, and smart wheel controls working.  And we also know that both CCM modules communicate to the engine databus.

You traced all wiring on the dash switch wiring harness to the CCM and it shows continuity, no shorts and all the modules are receiving proper power and good grounds. Right now about the only thing left are two bad master rocker switch modules that could have both failed when the batteries went dead.

I know on Monday you will be calling potential suppliers for at least one replacement master module to be sure that's the problem.  About a year ago, I know REV in Oregon was able to program replacement master and expansion Eaton E30 multiplex dash switch modules. 

Your other option is to find a truck repair shop with the Kongsberg CADET software to verify that the CCM module is good.  This software will allow the operator to operate the dash switch functions through the CCM diagnostic port.

mrbill1951

Last trip it was the Oil Level Sensor issue.  Got that fixed.  This time went to change sites at the campground.  Turn the key on and nothing.  Backup camera turned on but nothing else on the dash.  Sat there for a few minutes staring off into space trying to come up with a good explanation, tried it again and everything worked.  Upon leaving the campground to come home, same thing again.

On the trip home after about 125 miles the coach shut itself off.  Luckily, I was on a straight road and was able to coast to a stop, blocking traffic. After 5 minutes or so it started again.  Drove 50 miles and I shut it off and it did it again but was able to get it going again.  Another 35 miles and it shut itself off again.  Was able to get to the shoulder out of the way this time.  Arranged a tow from Coach Net.  After about four hours it started again and drove the last 80 miles home.

It has been suggested that it could be the batteries or a relay switch.

Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks!

Ray Davis

Hi Bill,  Welcome to Monacoers.org

There is another thread with problems much like yours,  might help.

https://www.monacoers.org/topic/3189-2011-camelot-all-power-to-dash-lost/?tab=comments#comment-26574

Ray Davis
5 hours ago, FishAR said:

I'm still on my class b "learner's permit"

Never heard of that.  How long can you drive with it?

Gary M

Update on Temps rising again!!

Before I left Vegas this morning, I crawled underneath to check on some of the ideas from my fellow Monaco Owners. I think I found part of my problem. In between the fan housing and the radiator, I removed a large amount of plastic that is used when service people need to enter your coach. It’s placed on the floors so as not to dirty your coach. I noticed a small piece stuck to my tow hitch. Pulled that off and noticed another small piece sticking out between the radiator and the fan housing. I pulled, and pulled, and pulled, and pulled till I had a 24” x 48” piece. I’m pretty sure its from almost a year ago when I broke down and had my VGT actuator was replaced. Temps were much better from Vegas to Desert Hot Springs today. Not perfect, but much better. But I think soon, new thermostat, new flush and fluid, new temp sender and anthing else you people( guys and gals) might recommend. I did finally receive my ECM file of which I sent to Frank McElroy and was sent back to me as a PDF. He commented on the high temps are preventing my Regens from completing. Because my coach has been running hot ( as high as 239) my regen is not completing. Last Regen was over 140 hrs ago. I had hoped the trip from Vegas that the regen would start and complete, but no. Ive already spent $1500 on a DPF and DOC filter cleaning and dont want to do it again. 
Thankyou for all your suggestions.  If you have more, hit me with it.

xdieselbob

Had very similar thing happen on my 2001 Safari Zanzibar. Just shut off going down road. Had unit towed to Cat dealer, Thanksgiving eve. As I started to think this over the check engine light was not on. That was the answer. The fuse for the ECM quite making contact. Pulled out fuse and it was not blown but holder showed extreme heat, melted plastic. It seems China has been making the fuses from thinner material. I found a old made in USA fuse and measured the thickness. The USA lugs are .015 thousands thicker. Could not find any 20 amp ATO fuse so used breaker with copper lugs .020 thicker. End of problem. 

Frank McElroy

Actually the ECM printout I sent you was very revealing. It's great that Cummins gave you the EIF file.  I loaded that into the Cummins Insite software to generate the report.

If you are running hot and the dpf light is coming on but going off like it was in your case, also with a periodic Check engine light, the engine wanted to do a DPF Regen but couldn't because the engine was already running too hot.  High engine temps and a check engine light will shut off the DPF Regen.  In your case, you had 8 normal 100 hour engine run time DPF regens.  Then you started overheating and went for 150 hours before a DPF Regen with filter pressures double a normal Regen.  That's why the engine derated and the Cummins shop had to do a forced Regen. 

It's great to hear you found the reason for the overheat condition.  Now the DPF should Regen normally.

So, the lesson learned is to fix an overheating or check engine problem really soon because either one will tell the engine computer not to do a dpf Regen. 

Then it's just a matter of time before the DPF plugs and your engine derates.

Windshield Wiper trouble
whaley96raw

2006 36' Monaco Cayman

Both wipers swipe across the windshield. The drivers side wiper seems to lose control and keeps traveling beyond its normal stopping point. It goes beyond the curvature of the glass and hits the rearview mirror arm where it gets stuck. This causes the passenger side to stop swiping.

I am wondering if the bolt/ post to which the drivers side wiper is attached is faulty and allows the wiper to overtravel? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Whaley96raw

Scott 61

Question for Frank you said in a  earlier post that your coach will not do a regen if you are in (cruise control) ???

Thank you safe travels

Gary M
1 hour ago, Frank McElroy said:

Actually the ECM printout I sent you was very revealing. It's great that Cummins gave you the EIF file.  I loaded that into the Cummins Insite software to generate the report.

If you are running hot and the dpf light is coming on but going off like it was in your case, also with a periodic Check engine light, the engine wanted to do a DPF Regen but couldn't because the engine was already running too hot.  High engine temps and a check engine light will shut off the DPF Regen.  In your case, you had 8 normal 100 hour engine run time DPF regens.  Then you started overheating and went for 150 hours before a DPF Regen with filter pressures double a normal Regen.  That's why the engine derated and the Cummins shop had to do a forced Regen. 

It's great to hear you found the reason for the overheat condition.  Now the DPF should Regen normally.

So, the lesson learned is to fix an overheating or check engine problem really soon because either one will tell the engine computer not to do a dpf Regen. 

Then it's just a matter of time before the DPF plugs and your engine derates.

I was hoping it would do its thing on my 6 hr trip. But nothing. Temps were between 181 and 188 coasting flat and downhill. There is a long stretch from lower desert to upper desert and it never got over 199. If I let the RPM’s get down to 15-1600, it would quickly rise to 94-99. It hit 205 once when I wasn’t paying attention to grabbing the gears.

Im here for 4 months now. I hope heading to Oregon will generate a Regen.

Air bag reducer bushing
Hypoxia
4 hours ago, georgeandlouise1 said:

Thanks for your information.  Will try to buy some.

george

If I buy the elbows do you think I steel need to buy 1/4 inch push on hose fitting?

I like them, 1/4" 90° push on fittings.  It's one piece not an elbow and a fitting.

Windshield Wiper trouble
Scotty Hutto

Richard,

I had the same issue with my 2006 Dip. The spring in the arm that holds the blade to the windshield had lost just a bit of tension over time. I ended up replacing the arm and all was well. 

My wipers were made by AM Equipment, and the helped me find an exact replacement. 

https://www.amequipment.com/windshield-wiper-arms

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.