Tire lifespan

11 minutes ago, Flyinhy said:

I was just quoted a price of 3600 for Bridgestone 295/80/22.5  14 ply. Anybody had an experiences with these tires? 

Going on 2001 executive 43ds

How many for that price? What DOT codes are they?

The first set of tires I ever bought for the coach were 2 Michelin's for the Steer and 4 Bridgestones for the drive. I liked them but when I needed to replace the tires again they were too expensive.

Edited by Dr4Film

47 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

How many for that price? What DOT codes are they?

The first set of tires I ever bought for the coach were 2 Michelin's for the Steer and 4 Bridgestones for the drive. I liked them but when I needed to replace the tires again they were too expensive.

That's for 6 from a wholesaler I know from the "trucking world". Seems awfully low to me and I'd have to drive 15 year old tires 20 miles down the interstate to the nearest shop. At that price I'll replace all I they're good tires. That's roughly 600 a tire mounted, balanced and installed. At 5k for all, I may just opt for that instead of worrying about the last 2 on the tag.

Dot codes are last year 

Edited by Flyinhy
Added comment

Bridgestone/Firestone are good tires. I’ll try one more time. You do not need 295s on the rear…11R22.5 are the same diameter and have plenty of load carrying and cost $400 or less installed.

Tires may have went up since then but I had 8 Hercules StrongGuard load range J 295/80R 22.5 put on at my shop (they brought a service truck to me) for $4222 in August. I think the codes on them showed 4 months old.

If I'm remembering right they are 2 more plies and one load range higher than the goodyears that came off.

I bought 8 TOYO's, 16ply, out the door all taxes and fees at $4,000 online.  Had to pay a shop to install and add beads.  Finding the tires right now is quite a challenge.  May have to pay what ever their asking and take what you can find.  Not a good time to need tires.

Woody Miller

With the new tires i purchased the old tires were “H” rated now the new ones are “J”s plus the ply rating went up as well. For now im gonna run my back tires a little longer, however the peace of mind having the new ones up front is huge.E05015C9-5291-432C-AB15-1558D3B61F1A.thumb.jpeg.f826048effc56b3d8f1fd3a07324be50.jpeg3706554D-30BF-40B2-B25B-0643FBA00918.thumb.jpeg.af8daffa186c8e2a1fc9b6e407000bfb.jpeg

This could be a tire source that may have what you need.  Great Company.

https://www.pompstire.com/

The History of Pomp's Tire

Pomp’s Tire Service began in 1939 when Andrew “Sparky” Pomprowitz opened a warehouse, passenger, and commercial wholesale operation on Roosevelt Street in Green Bay, WI. Under the name of Pomprowitz Tire Company, he continued to expand at that location until a fire in 1942 burned the entire facility and all the stock. Pomprowitz rebuilt and combined the operation with Pomprowitz Appliance Company. When Sparky went off to serve his country in 1942, his brothers, Joe and John, operated the business until his return in 1944.

Pomp's Tire moved into recapping in 1952 and the business was incorporated as Pomp’s Recap Service, Inc. The business moved to the present Green Bay East location on Cedar Street.

Sparky passed away in 1964 and Roger Wochinske purchased the business as of January 1, 1965. The first new outlet store was added that year in Shawano, WI. Since that initial expansion in 1965, Pomp's Tire has grown to include over 120 locations in 11 states, 18 retread plants, one wheel manufacturing facility, and three original equipment manufacturing facilities. Pomp's Tire now consists of nearly 2100 employees throughout its footprint.

Still family owned, Pomp's Tire can now handle all tire needs from boat trailer to earthmover, retail, wholesale, commercial, 24-hour over-the-road truck tire service, recapping, agricultural, training, wheels and rims, and much more.

If you are in the market for great products and service at a reasonable price, come see what Pomp's Tire has to offer.

Edited by Paul A.
grammer

On 10/8/2021 at 5:37 PM, Ivylog said:

Bridgestone/Firestone are good tires. I’ll try one more time. You do not need 295s on the rear…11R22.5 are the same diameter and have plenty of load carrying and cost $400 or less installed.

Are they? 11R22.5 vs 275 80 22.5 I don’t believe  have same capacity at any pressure, seeing as non tag coaches typically run at or near axle limits going to 11r’s with 1000lbs less capacity may not be a good bet seeing as at a minimum they require significantly air pressure for same load like 105psi  in g670 275 80 22.5 vs 125 in 11r22.5. That’s quite a difference in ride quality 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, moxy1962 said:

Are they? 11R22.5 vs 275 80 22.5

Not sure what 11R you are looking at as the ones I’m using have a slightly higher load rating than a 278/80…5840 at 105 instead of 5750 at 105.
Discussion was the OP’s 01 Exe with 6 295s on the rear, not 275s on a non tag coach. Yes, I have to increase the psi by 12 in the 11Rs over a 295, but when you start at 90, 102’s ride is not noticeable on the rear.

PS: already running 315s on the front…another reason to not use 295s on the rear. My drive axle is over 22K.

Edited by Ivylog

24 minutes ago, Ivylog said:

Discussion was the OP’s 01 Exe with 6 295s on the rear, not 275s on a non tag coach. Yes, I have to increase the psi by 12 in the 11Rs over a 295, but when you start at 90, 102’s ride is not noticeable on the rear.

Well my tag axle coach runs 275 80 22.5 all around, the 295s on the 01 coach we’re likely 295 75 22.5s, even if they were 295 80 22.5s with would run min pressure of 80psi conversely 11r22.5’s would run at 95 psi, so whether it’s 12 Or 15 psi cold, that has huge impact on ride quality, add in the fact that the RV tires are designed for ride comfort, going to commercial truck tire to save a few bucks isn’t a wise choice, drive tag or steers. 

Edited by moxy1962
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ivylog said:

Bill, would help if you included your 01 Dynasty 40’? in your signature. Pretty sure the OP knows what size tires he has plus the brochure for a 01 Exe says 295/80. 01 Dynasty calls for 295/75???

Brochure for 01 executive lists 295 75 22.5 as stock tire, not sure what brochure you are reading, the coaches dimensions  and capacities are identical to my late 2001 Monaco Chancellor which only came in one configuration with tag axle, regardless, commercial truck tires are not Designed with motorhomes or Ride comfort in mind 

9C7E1AD5-73B9-4FD7-B5AA-C225B8849C14.png

1 hour ago, Ivylog said:

Not sure what 11R you are looking at as the ones I’m using have a slightly higher load rating than a 278/80…5840 at 105 instead of 5750 at 105.

PS: already running 315s on the front…another reason to not use 295s on the rear. My drive axle is over 22K.

He does say the tires are 275’s on his 01 Exec tag coach FYI 

3 hours ago, Ivylog said:

Goodyear 275 80 22.5 G670 has dual capacity of over 26k for your drives and single of 15k for steers if required, no need to overdo tire size except for the ability to run slightly lower pressure, 315s are way over kill 

On 10/4/2021 at 10:35 AM, Flyinhy said:

Just checked my tires , all are Goodyear. 275/ 22.5

Steer dot - 3816

Rears  dot - 1207

Tag dot- 1205

Looks like I'm gonna be buying tires in the near future. I will be moving her to a more suitable place to work on her in the next month or so. Maybe 40 miles.....I don't want to go much further because of the age of the rears. 

I see in another post you’re probably near Atlanta Commercial Tire… I’ve gotten good prices from them and you could check the dates codes before buying. While I pick the tires up, they have guys that will change the tires in their parking lot.

I would put new 295/80 on the front and maybe move the steer to the tag (easier to remove the tire than polish the rims). A 11R is slightly taller than a 275/80 so at 60 mph you’d actually be going 62.

36 minutes ago, moxy1962 said:

Goodyear 275 80 22.5 G670 has dual capacity of over 26k for your drives and single of 15k for steers if required, no need to overdo tire size except for the ability to run slightly lower pressure, 315s are way over kill 

315 may be overkill for your 01 Dynasty, but not for my 08 Navigator. -20 psi is not slightly less.
PS: You’d have to pay me to use G670s.

F4C29689-12C5-4B58-A0E7-996DFA6D7731.png

Edited by Ivylog

it’s over kill for your coach even if you are at max front gvw, the difference in pressure would be 10 psi not 20, 315s are over width for the alcoa wheels on your coach as well unless you purchased wider rims?.  By all accounts 315’s are to wide even for your coach, and wider rims would make that interference worse. But regardless the OP doesn’t need 315’s as you recommended, they would be overkill as I stated, too wide for his rims too,  not to mention a giant waste of money, over $200 more each than 295 or 275 which fit the rim properly, won’t interfere with suspension and are both more than adequate for OP’s coach all around. 

27 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Plus, if I remember correctly 315 tires on a narrower rim requires one to downgrade the load capacity by a certain percentage. Don't remember what that specific % is.

Not sure about that, makes sense though,

1 hour ago, Ivylog said:

I see in another post you’re probably near Atlanta Commercial Tire… I’ve gotten good prices from them and you could check the dates codes before buying. While I pick the tires up, they have guys that will change the tires in their parking lot.

I would put new 295/80 on the front and maybe move the steer to the tag (easier to remove the tire than polish the rims). A 11R is slightly taller than a 275/80 so at 60 mph you’d actually be going 62.

315 may be overkill for your 01 Dynasty, but not for my 08 Navigator. -20 psi is not slightly less.

F4C29689-12C5-4B58-A0E7-996DFA6D7731.png

I would hazard a guess and say there were a pile of Goodyear’s out there as they were OE on a lot of coaches, having run on GOODYEAR for some 15 years and Ill admit even having blown up one, which Goodyear replaced and covered all related costs, they have been and exemplary tire, when looked after, and this is important,  properly inflated they are a safe tire and when used according to manufactures recommendations a dependable excellent riding tire. I would  bet money that the majority of RV TIRE failures are result of abuse, under inflation and improper use. Which coincidently is why I comment often when I see ill advised advice to new or uneducated RV owner seeking safe sound advice 

Edited by moxy1962

2 hours ago, Ivylog said:

315 may be overkill for your 01 Dynasty, but not for my 08 Navigator. -15 psi is not slightly less.

Ha.....that's who I called. They have a satellite shop in dalton. I appreciate everything you guys are teaching me. I've been around large equipment all my life but never really paid that much attention to the actual size and pressures of big tires. I just want the tires to be safe and correct for the weight of the coach. I still don't have an actual weight of the coach. I know the tag behind the drivers seat  says 46k, but what is the effect of the tag on that rear axle weight and the tires. Right now....I have the pressure set at 30psi on the tag bags......I need to do more research on that.

6 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Plus, if I remember correctly 315 tires on a narrower rim requires one to downgrade the load capacity by a certain percentage. Don't remember what that specific % is.

The  inflation charts i used for the  Michelins i had,  did specify the capacity, at a certain inflation,  for a 9" rim and 8.25" rim with 315's.

Edited by Paul A.
added info

01 is only the second year of the Exe having a tag… just starting to need one as the length increased over 40’, slides were added, and bigger engines. By 04 the front axle had gone from 13,000 to 15,160. In 07 the tag went from 10K to 12K. Around 06 the fuel tank was moved from just behind the front axle to help its  overloading. The 09 Signature (Exe had been discontinued) came with 8 315 tires. I’m running 315 on the front and 11R on the rear of my 08 Navigator.

You probably have 9,000+ lbs of CCC…fuel, water, and all your stuff…for F Time that can be 5-6,000 lbs. Weighing before your loaded up, ready to travel isn’t going to tell you much. My educated guess for your psi is 100 front, 85 drive and 60 tag until you weigh. Most use 40 in the tag regulator but I’d start with 35.

Having run 315s on 8.25” rims for 10+ years, the issue is a 8.25” rim is only rated for 7600 lbs. A 315 as a dual is not derated because at max psi (120 psi) it is NOT exceeding 7600 lbs... I kept reading the footnotes on derating. Today fewer manufacturers list a 8.25” rim for a 315... more lawyers have gotten involved

• Like 1