Tire lifespan

53 minutes ago, Ivylog said:

01 is only the second year of the Exe having a tag… just starting to need one as the length increased over 40’, slides were added, and bigger engines. By 04 the front axle had gone from 13,000 to 15,160. In 07 the tag went from 10K to 12K. Around 06 the fuel tank was moved from just behind the front axle to help its  overloading. The 09 Signature (Exe had been discontinued) came with 8 315 tires. I’m running 315 on the front and 11R on the rear of my 08 Navigator.

You probably have 9,000+ lbs of CCC…fuel, water, and all your stuff…for F Time that can be 5-6,000 lbs. Weighing before your loaded up, ready to travel isn’t going to tell you much. My educated guess for your psi is 100 front, 85 drive and 60 tag until you weigh. Most use 40 in the tag regulator but I’d start with 35.

Having run 315s on 8.25” rims for 10+ years, the issue is a 8.25” rim is only rated for 7600 lbs. A 315 as a dual is not derated because at max psi (120 psi) it is NOT exceeding 7600 lbs... I kept reading the footnotes on derating. Today fewer manufacturers list a 8.25” rim for a 315... more lawyers have gotten involved

If his coach is sane as mine which I think it is other than possible bigger motor, min on 275 80 is,  fronts 105 cold, drives at 95 cold and tags, lowest those tires can run is 85, that based on full fuel and water, ready to travel, MTO scale, all three axles, left and right, pressures set up highest weights per axle 

• Like 1

Should have proof read my psi recommendations… 70 for the tag (not 60) which is the minimum to keep the tire on the rim. Doubt your drive will be over 21,000 lbs, even when loaded for travel so 85 until you weigh loaded.

Agree you need to find someplace where you can weigh each side… in the early years of adding slides many had 1000+ heavier on the side with the slides.

Everyone has their own tire program for their coach. I know I have my own and I consider my tire habits a personal choice based on my own preferences and what gives me peace of mind. In the end it is my ass sitting in the drivers seat and I will not risk my life or those of friends or loved ones all in an effort to save money. Some say I am OCD about my tires but that is my choice. I have seen too many coaches destroyed, people injured and killed over blown tires. In the 20 plus years of RV'ing I have never had a blow out. I change my steer tires every 5 years and the dual's every 6 years. I keep them clean, treated well with 303 and covered. I run my coach down the road every 30 - 60 days and I make sure when parked I have the jacks down far enough to take some of the load off the tires.

I also upsized my tires from 275's to 295's to prevent overloading and to also run lower pressures which improves the ride. I have had 4 corner weights done in multiple traveling configurations and religiously check pressures before each trip. Before buying new tires I poll fleet owners who have semi's running 100,000 miles a year on their rigs. I find out which tire has given them the best reliability and I also check with the tire service guys at Love's and Flying J to see which tires they have seen more blow outs on. No offense but I never go off what other RV'ers recommend for tire brands. The amount of miles we all put on our tires every year is ridiculously low as compared to the amount of miles traveled by large fleet owners. I also never listen to tire shops as their opinions can be biased based on profit margins that month.

In regards to RV'ers length of service for tires I rarely pay attention. Every one treats their tires differently in regards to care, miles traveled, climate, tire pressures, overloading not to mention the abuse one subjects their tires to such as potholes, curb rubs, etc. There are way too many variables to ascertain a set replacement schedule as everyone of us cares for our tires differently, runs different brand tires, drive smoother or rougher highways and those of us who are parked in high UV ray states like AZ, CA and FL.

In the end we all have to adopt a tire program that works for us.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, throgmartin said:

Everyone has their own tire program for their coach. I know I have my own and I consider my tire habits a personal choice based on my own preferences and what gives me peace of mind. In the end it is my ass sitting in the drivers seat and I will not risk my life or those of friends or loved ones all in an effort to save money. Some say I am OCD about my tires but that is my choice. I have seen too many coaches destroyed, people injured and killed over blown tires. In the 20 plus years of RV'ing I have never had a blow out. I change my steer tires every 5 years and the dual's every 6 years. I keep them clean, treated well with 303 and covered. I run my coach down the road every 30 - 60 days and I make sure when parked I have the jacks down far enough to take some of the load off the tires.

I also upsized my tires from 275's to 295's to prevent overloading and to also run lower pressures which improves the ride. I have had 4 corner weights done in multiple traveling configurations and religiously check pressures before each trip. Before buying new tires I poll fleet owners who have semi's running 100,000 miles a year on their rigs. I find out which tire has given them the best reliability and I also check with the tire service guys at Love's and Flying J to see which tires they have seen more blow outs on. No offense but I never go off what other RV'ers recommend for tire brands. The amount of miles we all put on our tires every year is ridiculously low as compared to the amount of miles traveled by large fleet owners. I also never listen to tire shops as their opinions can be biased based on profit margins that month.

In regards to RV'ers length of service for tires I rarely pay attention. Every one treats their tires differently in regards to care, miles traveled, climate, tire pressures, overloading not to mention the abuse one subjects their tires to such as potholes, curb rubs, etc. There are way too many variables to ascertain a set replacement schedule as everyone of us cares for our tires differently, runs different brand tires, drive smoother or rougher highways and those of us who are parked in high UV ray states like AZ, CA and FL.

In the end we all have to adopt a tire program that works for us.

I see a lot of 303 products. Tire Balm and Protectant, Tire Coating and Protectant, Uv Protectant Spray. Which one do you use?

If you think tire covers really help I guess I'll spring for some, I hadn't made up my mind. Do you think color makes a difference?

If you have metal stems rebuild them. If rubber then replace them with metal. And use the dually kit for the duals. Never use extenders. Now easy to inflate and much better if you add TPMS. Early 2020 DOT could be 22 months old. 

I personally would never use beads. Spin balance or wheel balancers. 

If you must dvive on the intestate then I would travel with low temps and traffic and 45 MPH with flashers. 

My steers are 14K lb and duals 20K lb (maxed out) and hence no room to adjust the tag at 5K lb which would oveload the steers . With full cargo, water, fuel and propane, in spec but very poor design IMHO. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FishAR said:

If you think tire covers really help I guess I'll spring for some, I hadn't made up my mind. Do you think color makes a difference?

Mike, mine are the Custom MCD covers which are no longer available. They slide into a groove on the edge of the wheel well. They are black and not sure if color makes any difference. What IS important is do NOT use the covers that go directly onto and over the tires. They may block the sun but they also transfer heat to the tire. They should be mounted on the wheel well or in front of the wheel well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with Chris 1000%.  We purchased our Windsor in 2004.  We lived full time in it for 6 years.  Sold the Windsor when we decided to get off the road in 2010.  We purchased a house in 2010 in southern Mississippi and was able to homestead so we did not have to pay property taxes.  With proper maintenance, our Goodyear tires served us good for that 6 year period.  .

When parked, I used the MCD covers.  If I stayed in one place for a period of time I would take the coach out for a 50 mile trip twice a month to exercise the systems.  

12 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Mike, mine are the Custom MCD covers which are no longer available. They slide into a groove on the edge of the wheel well. They are black and not sure if color makes any difference. What IS important is do NOT use the covers that go directly onto and over the tires. They may block the sun but they also transfer heat to the tire. They should be mounted on the wheel well or in front of the wheel well.

To all people reading this message, i hold what Richard has to say in highest of regaurd! His knowalge of our ageing fleet is impecable, just know, this time what may be the Difference of our opinions may be the distance between our Geographic locations.

Richard, though i listen an learn from the wisdom you share with all of us and i consider you to be a very informed source, this time i have to say, i dont agree. I live an travel out West, to say the least it gets HOT here! Also i know the sun on its hottest days can become excruciating! I Believe that yes, it can become (although untested) warm under the white tire covers, it is in NO WAY as hot as driving on black asphalt in the Az or Nv desert. So givin MY only other options is to park indoors or to remove the tires an keep them in a shaded an cool area which is not feasable and that MOST of us out west have to find an acceptable compromise, which is to use the white tire covers!

Again with all due respect, i feel that although the white covers may not look aesthetically pleasing, they do offer a level of protection that perhaps tire cover manufacturers could put a smigin of R&D to find a acceptable happy medium that fullfills both function an Aesthetics.

Well, I bit the bullet today guys and did what I eventually thought was best for my safety and the safety of the folks on the road with me and purchased all 8 tires. I want to say thank you for all your input. Chris I strongly agree with 99% of your advise......but without input from other guys who have had more experiences buying tires than me , I wouldn't know where to begin. We all need a little help from time to time with wiser individuals. I also listened to Ivylog and his advise in purchasing tire monitors and the tire size.. I'm gonna be partaking in some distilled spirits tonight because the last time I lost this much money at one time, I was getting divorced.

Edited by Flyinhy
Error

26 minutes ago, Flyinhy said:

the last time I lost this much money at one time, I was getting divorced.

Must have been without lawyers involved. If your near Blairsville with your Exe, there’s a scale here where you can get one side off it so you can get 6 weights.

• Like 1

Oregon has lots of scales on secondary roads that I use. A few have level side to side clearance that I've used to weight all 6 wheel positions. They are free, on 24/7 and rarely is anyone else there. 

Story: One time at the one south of Brookings a lady came out of the booth (only time anyone has been around) and told me I was in danger on the duals because the tag was not on the ground! Oops - I had set to to automatically raise under 10 MPH - had a nice chat.

BTW Brookings is on 101 which is a major truck route on the coast - OK not a interstate.

4 hours ago, Flyinhy said:

I'm gonna be partaking in some distilled spirits tonight because the last time I lost this much money at one time, I was getting divorced.

I did that way TOO many times over the past 43 years. I am surprised that I am not homeless by now.

• Like 1

It's very hard to pay a lot of money on tires, but it's important.  It is not fun to throw tires away due to age and not being worn out due to mileage.  All 8 of my tires had thousands of miles left in tread.  6 had hit the 7 year mark and the other two were new Goodyears that I did not want on the coach based on reputation of the tires and not science.  Now I have peace of mind with 8 new TOYO's and less money.  In the process now of trashing the braided valve extenders.

Woody Miller

20 minutes ago, woodylmiller said:

In the process now of trashing the braided valve extenders.

Woody Miller

Excellent!

My 04 Endevor with 8K miles had river edge wear on the steers. GY dealer showed a photo describing the defect with NO warranty. Really?

I bought the current 09 in 11 and it had river edge on the steers and I knew it was a issue. As the steers devoleved and 2 duals developed edge wear I replaced the steers. And several years later the other six were replaced.

I now refer to that tire mfg as bad year...

FWIW with increasing prices.

I paid for 8 Toyo 295/80R 225/16 M144 tires in July 2021 $4391. spin balance $256, metal stem rebuild $34 total $4681. Drive in/out $585/tire. 

Years ago I determined that a blowout was likely $10K if and only if no wreck was involved. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, woodylmiller said:

It's very hard to pay a lot of money on tires, but it's important.  It is not fun to throw tires away due to age and not being worn out due to mileage.  All 8 of my tires had thousands of miles left in tread.  6 had hit the 7 year mark and the other two were new Goodyears that I did not want on the coach based on reputation of the tires and not science.  Now I have peace of mind with 8 new TOYO's and less money.  In the process now of trashing the braided valve extenders.

Woody Miller

You are a very WISE man indeed!

I like the Toyo's also as they were very affordable.  As for the valve stems, the Borg stems have been trouble free for 11 years now and counting. Never have to worry about them failing PLUS the biggest benefit is being able to reach them easily for air adjustments and for the TPMS sensors.

On 10/13/2021 at 10:32 PM, W7BE_Bob said:

FWIW with increasing prices.

I paid for 8 Toyo 295/80R 225/16 M144 tires in July 2021 $4391. 

I bought the same and paid 300 dollars more for alignment. I drove the coach 40 miles to the tire shop and left it today. I was as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs. She didn't skip a beat though and I did notice on my GPS that I was going faster than the speedo indicated. Is that because of the tire size that's on it now? 

Goodyear 670s on it until monday....