Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/565-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Entry Door Grab Bar
Dr4Film
Entry Door Grab Bar
tmw188
Entry Door Grab Bar
jegall
Preventing DUVAC alternator problems
Grampy OG
Another trip, another new adventure
Grampy OG
Entry Door Grab Bar
tmw188
Funny heat pumps…
Pduggs
Entry Door Grab Bar
tmw188
Entry Door Grab Bar
jegall
Funny heat pumps…
Ivylog
Funny heat pumps…
Pduggs
Keys made
Flyinhy
Keys made
dleeadkins
Keys made
Dr4Film
Keys made
JDCrow
Keys made
Flyinhy
Tire lifespan
Flyinhy
Tire lifespan
JDCrow
Tire lifespan
jacwjames
Funny heat pumps…
vito.a
mrbill1951
Funny heat pumps…
Pduggs
Oil Level Sensor Failure
mrbill1951
StephenW
mrbill1951
Tire lifespan
Chuck B
Tire lifespan
Flyinhy
Keys made
Trinidaddave
Tire lifespan
Chuck B
Windshield Wiper trouble
whaley96raw
Trouble shooting the TCU and ECM
Mike in Va
Tire lifespan
jacwjames
bobdinsmore
Mike in Va
Old school maps and books
cbr046
Tire lifespan
Flyinhy
Tire lifespan
Dr4Film
Tire lifespan
JDCrow
No dash switches work
Brett63
No dash switches work
Ivylog
Tire lifespan
jacwjames
No dash switches work
Brett63
mrbill1951
Water Heater Drain Plug
cbr046
No dash switches work
Ivylog
Water Heater Drain Plug
Bob Jones

Entry Door Grab Bar
Dr4Film

Todd,

The last one I installed was from Amazon. Because they are LED, they usually last a long time. Mine is on usually 24/7/365 because it is on the same circuit as my outside Entry Door Motion Light I have installed.

https://tinyurl.com/ec26uhbe

BTW, my LED is in the TOP of the handle.

Entry Door Grab Bar
tmw188
1 hour ago, Dr4Film said:

Todd,

The last one I installed was from Amazon. Because they are LED, they usually last a long time. Mine is on usually 24/7/365 because it is on the same circuit as my outside Entry Door Motion Light I have installed.

https://tinyurl.com/ec26uhbe

BTW, my LED is in the TOP of the handle.

I have it pulled out as shown in pics above. I found one on AMZ, same one you posted I believe. I don’t know why it has to be such a exotic bulb assy on a circuit board though. 

Entry Door Grab Bar
jegall

$16 on Amazon two day shipping

Preventing DUVAC alternator problems
Grampy OG
21 hours ago, Cubflyer said:

Grampy OG-Ken,

If you have not figured it out already..... a "step drill" bit does a great job of opening up the large but not large enough wire terminals so they fit the ML-ACR  terminal posts.

Ken 

Yes, thank you for the hint. It worked well and NO GRABBING by the bit. Worked out great.

Thank you

Grampy OG

My coach had those same basic symptoms. One of the solenoid/relays in the FRB was flaking out. There ae two my bay. Replaced them both and the problem has been corrected for two years now. 

Good luck,

Ken

Entry Door Grab Bar
tmw188
21 minutes ago, jegall said:

$16 on Amazon two day shipping

I found the original looking replacement for $35. Give me a link.

Funny heat pumps…
Pduggs

Since my AH zone one stopped working, I started using my heat pumps to warm the front of the coach. I’ve owned the coach nearly four years and haven’t ever used the heat pumps before now. 

If I turn on all three heat pumps while on 50 amp shore power, none of them start up. If I turn off the bedroom AC unit at the thermostat, the front two start and work well. I can only use the bedroom heat pump if the front two are off. Is this some kind of snafu?

Front A/C-heat pump not blowing cold or hot
Ivylog
8 hours ago, Rikadoo said:

appears i have underestamated the power of repairing for the sake of repairing old stuff. My bad

It’s not as simple as just putting a new unit on the roof …you have to replace all of units plus a new thermostat. Karma may work on a 98 Jeep.

i’ve been using propane ever since R12 went away and I can see, in a car in an accident, having propane fan the flames might not be a good thing.

Entry Door Grab Bar
tmw188

Ordered just the light assy from myrvparts this morning. 

Entry Door Grab Bar
jegall

Amazon rv lighting eco-led illuminated grab-handle replacement light bulbs gh-ww

36E55A61-5EFA-4D67-B85D-CE7AB7BE8E56.png

Funny heat pumps…
Ivylog

I can run all 3…04 Dynasty and 08 Navigator although I do not remember all 3 on at the same time as it doesn’t get that cold in SE Fla. Some units have load shedding with the dryer. 

Funny heat pumps…
Pduggs

Yeah I thought the dryer might effect this. So I shut it off along with the washer, but nothing changed. 

Hypoxia

I still have a couple of cases of R12 cans gathering dust.  Many years ago a Mexican friend had an explosion under the hood while driving.  We figured they had charged it with propane.

Keys made
Flyinhy

I'm having trouble finding someone to make keys for the battery compartment and front run bay. Does anyone know who  manufactured these locks? 

16333555876117428823411943786540.jpg

Keys made
dleeadkins

Here it is.

6A466E31-828C-49D9-B640-A6EA0A792151.png

Keys made
Dr4Film

Southco

Try searching for a secondary Vendor

You have to know what number it is as there are several different ones.

Keys made
JDCrow
16 minutes ago, dleeadkins said:

Here it is.

6A466E31-828C-49D9-B640-A6EA0A792151.png

Awesome! 

Keys made
Flyinhy

I knew you guys would know.....awesome!!! Not one locksmith in this area has ever even seen one with such a large rod.......no pun intended

Tire lifespan
Flyinhy

Just checked my tires , all are Goodyear. 275/ 22.5

Steer dot - 3816

Rears  dot - 1207

Tag dot- 1205

Looks like I'm gonna be buying tires in the near future. I will be moving her to a more suitable place to work on her in the next month or so. Maybe 40 miles.....I don't want to go much further because of the age of the rears. 

Tire lifespan
JDCrow
4 minutes ago, Flyinhy said:

Just checked my tires , all are Goodyear. 275/ 22.5

Steer dot - 3816

Rears  dot - 1207

Tag dot- 1205

Looks like I'm gonna be buying tires in the near future. I will be moving her to a more suitable place to work on her in the next month or so. Maybe 40 miles.....I don't want to go much further because of the age of the rears. 

You’ll find no love here, well anywhere for Goodyear tires. Took mine off as soon as I got home. 

Tire lifespan
jacwjames
4 minutes ago, JDCrow said:

You’ll find no love here, well anywhere for Goodyear tires. Took mine off as soon as I got home. 

I pulled mine off the front due to the rivering wear pattern but ran the back another couple years.  When I replace they were ~10 years old and they still looked decent. 

But 14 & 16 years is pushing it.

Might consider moving the front to the tags and replace 6.  Since the tags aren't drive axle size won't make a difference.  Then when you have to replace move the newer steers to the tag and put new on the front.  This will break the cycle of buying a bunch of tires all at once. 

In the mines I worked at they did not have a good tire management program.  Spares were put on with no thought.  After discussions with tire vendors they suggested a monthly tire inspection coupled with a management program.  I created a simple chart the mechanics could use to know what size tire they could use, the manufacturers recommended now more then 3% difference on any tire so I had the mechanics measure the largest and smallest tires and balance all 4 to be with in the 3% range and when replacing measuring to determine which spare they could use.  If you put a new tire on with 3 old ones the new one will wear out faster until it reaches the same size (kind of counter intuitive).   Each month I'd have 4 new tires mounted and then installed on the hardest working loaders and then use the ones we pulled off as spares.  When trucks were brought into the mines did the same thing.  This worked great and soon the other 3 mines were doing the same thing.  We eventually had the tire management with inspection aspect included in our contracts.   I know that we saved $$ thousands on our tire budgets, which in the largest mine was ~$35-40K per month in the mid 90's, hard to know what it would be now. 

Funny heat pumps…
vito.a

They all 3 should work at the same time.  The washer is tied to one AC, usually zone 2.  The dryer is 240V, so its separate.  

The heat pumps will not work if you have Furnace (Aqua Hot) selected on any other zone.  

We can get deeper when you have explored this.

mrbill1951

I'm sure I should know this but what is a FRB?

Funny heat pumps…
Pduggs

On my thermostat I have all three units set for heat pump. None will work with it set this way. If I shut off the rear AC (zone 3) the front two ACs run and heat well. I do have the AH buttons in the galley on.  

Oil Level Sensor Failure
mrbill1951

Just to wrap this topic up.  I did find a shop in Chehalis, WA that could do the work. Great service, Transmission Unlimited. Owner volunteered to come out and do the work in my driveway. It is now fixed w/ a new oil level sensor, wiring harness, fluid change and new filters.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

StephenW

FRB stands for Front Run Bay. This is the outside electrical bay under the drivers seat.

mrbill1951

Got it

Thanks!

And when you mention solenoid/relays are you talking about the small black cube relays in the same box as the fuses?

Cubflyer
2 hours ago, Ivylog said:

It’s not as simple as just putting a new unit on the roof …you have to replace all of units plus a new thermostat. Karma may work on a 98 Jeep.

So true!  Not only do you need to buy a new 'top unit' but it will not 'play' with other (old) unit or thermostat without an 'adapter board' (@ $200 and no stock).   

At this point (in my experience) I think if I really HAD to replace the unit, I would put a 'stand alone' unit up there..... and K.I.S.S. it.

Tire lifespan
Chuck B

5 year old tires are old enough for me.  I have seen what blow out damage is done to a coach,  front, rear, and tag.  Your coach, your family.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Tire lifespan
Flyinhy

I agree. The steers look a lot better than the rest of the tires after I inspected them a little closer. I will do what you guys suggest and take the steer and put them on the tag and buy all new for the rest of them. Just a huge expense for me. And stay away from Goodyear? .......I hear bad things about doublecoin too

Keys made
Trinidaddave

I recently purchased a spare key on Amazon.  It works great.  It was a good thing since my original key broke soon after!

Tire lifespan
Chuck B

I have been around since 1998 when Bill D formed the Monacoer's group.  A while back there was a female member who reminded me of a female libber who joined the group after purchasing a 2004 Windsor.  Several members warned her about tires over 5 years old.  Her reply was that she has been around tires all her life.  

A couple weeks later she posted she had a left front blow out, crossed the medium into oncoming traffic hitting a car head on wiping out an entire family.  I would hate to live with that the rest of my life.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Windshield Wiper trouble
whaley96raw

Thank you Scotty and Dr4film.

Whaley96raw

Mike in Va

My MH is in the shop with a "Trans Light" and "low water" lights on. This first happen in maine after sitting for 4 days. When we started home the lights came on and when a computer was attached to it no codes showed up but the lights went off. Now their on again. I dropped the MH off at the shop and both lights were on at the time. They called today and told me the lights went out and they drove it and can't get the lights to come on now. When the lights are on my temp in the trans climbs very high.  Their were able to get something that said communication error. They said they are aren't sure if its the TRM or the ECM or even the wiring harness that connects the two. I'm going up tomorrow to drive the MH and hope the  light comes on and to talk to the shop foreman and hopefully find some answers. Can the ECM or the TRM be tested individually without taking them off to check if they are ok? Thanks       

Tire lifespan
jacwjames

That's why I recommended moving the 5 year old tires to the tag axle. 

I do agree with running good tires on the steer axle. 

Also highly recommend the use of a TPMS!!  My coach doesn't move until it shows all good on the tire pressures. 

Also agree with it's your money, if you want to replace tires after 5 years, it's your dime.  I'm fine with 7 on the front and monitoring the rear.  Ran my last two sets to 10 years on the rear, my dime, my choice.  But I also know they've been taken care of, no time of running low pressure, no side wall cuts, no impacts (at least visually, until you take them off you never know).

bobdinsmore

A couple of times out of the clear blue my Check Engine light came on in the morning with a collection of codes that didn't make sense. But in my case they went away after driving quite a few miles. It struck me the codes were the result of slight oxidation aggravated by early-morning humidity that dried up when the engine heated. This may be what's going on with you. Just a loose thought...    🙂

Mike in Va

Bob thanks for the input. I was able to drive the mh 50 miles to the garage at 55 mph. If I down shifted or went up a small hill the temps would start up. Soon as the rpm's were reduced the temps would go down.  The trans light and low water stayed on the entire time driving and was on when I left the mh at the garage. The garage said the trans seems to be going into limb mode just not sure why. One thing I forgot to mention is at the same time my oil pressure gauge on the dash would jerk all the way to the right side for a second and return back to normal. This happen several times also.  Trying to get this problem fixed because we have two trips planned in the next month.   

Old school maps and books
cbr046

I have a door pocket full of maps for most of the Southeastern states.  Maybe a few Yankee states, too.  Every time I buy a new vehicle I transfer all those Welcome Center or AAA maps from the old vehicle to the new.  I know I haven't added any since 1998 and have maps that go all the way back to my grandfather's 69 Impala glovebox. 

My favorite is a regional map around the metro Atlanta area (I actually bought that one in early 1980's).  It goes wayyyy beyond metro and only shows roads that go somewhere omitting all those detailed subdivision streets.  If you wanted to go somewhere, this was the map. 

I haven't unfolded any of these maps since GPS in mid 2000's, but I'll transfer them to the next vehicle "just in case". 

- bob

Tire lifespan
Flyinhy

Yea.....without knowing how these tires were taken care of , I'm gonna bite the bullet and replace all but the steer for the time being. The steers will go on the tag axle for a short time. Unless I come across a really good deal and I can afford all at one time, plus it's not gonna move more than 40 miles for at least 6 more months. 

I also want to put the monitors on them. I looked them up and compared to the cost of the tires ....4 or 5 hundred bucks to make sure I won't have a potential blowout is priceless.

Tire lifespan
Dr4Film

Charles,

The TPMS with not prevent a sudden unexpected catastrophic tire blowout.

However it will alert you to the possibility of a tire failure due to over or under inflation.

Tire lifespan
JDCrow
8 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Charles,

The TPMS with not prevent a sudden unexpected catastrophic tire blowout.

However it will alert you to the possibility of a tire failure due to over or under inflation.

Exactly, just watched this last night. Guy had no clue, his TPMS didn’t alert him 

No dash switches work
Brett63

I talked to REV (Coberg) today and they have no more switches and to their knowledge there are none anywhere to be had unless you find a salvage.

They also told me that at the moment they afe very limited in what they can do with the Kongsburg system, but are working through some issues or something that is stpping them. They said if you could find switches that worked they could send them to M&M for proper programming. BUT if you had masters that didn't work, you are out of luck as M&M has not figured out how to repair or manufacture new ones. M&M told me the same thing.

So now I sit in FL with a boat anchor unless someone else has discovered something new that we don't know about.

Ivan K

Bill, ours is a close vintage to yours and the ignition solenoid may look like ours in my old pic. The solenoid just happened to be in the snapshot. It powers a number of other accessories as well.

Notes_211004_180730.jpg

No dash switches work
Ivylog

I would add a row of high amp 12V switches and find the large wires (after the multiplex relays) that go to the lights you need and power them from the new switches.

The brake lights  probably work when you supply the ground, so no switch needed for them, just power to the circuit.

I would just power the wipers on when needed and use RainX so one speed will be enough.

Tire lifespan
jacwjames

I wonder what percentage of tires that fail had been run low on pressure at some point, my guess, higher then you would think.

One of the downsides of the tire management program we had in the mines is the vendor would check tire pressures, if he found one lower then the recommended pressure he would note it.   We had guarantees on tires, usually hours run which we tracked daily.  Guess what if a tire failed prematurely that had had a recorded low pressure we got ZERO of the guarantee back. 

No dash switches work
Brett63
1 hour ago, Ivylog said:

I would add a row of high amp 12V switches and find the large wires (after the multiplex relays) that go to the lights you need and power them from the new switches.

The brake lights  probably work when you supply the ground, so no switch needed for them, just power to the circuit.

I would just power the wipers on when needed and use RainX so one speed will be enough.

I have determined that the brake and turn all work as well as the smart wheel as I have removed it from the multiplex in the past. Technically I can drive it during the day. But with no repairs there really is no place to take it to.

mrbill1951

Thanks Ivan!

Is yours in the FRB?  I just check mine and didn't see it.  Wonder if it is under the dash somewhere.

Water Heater Drain Plug
cbr046

First symptom - water pump cycling about once / hour.  Can't find a leak under any of the faucets, toilet, outside shower, etc.  No problem, just turn on the pump when I need it.  That didn't last long. 

Second symptom - water dripping from the hot water heater drain plug.  OK, just tighten it a little (still dripping) . . . tighten a little more (dripping more) . . . . tighten a little more (now dripping a lot and getting easier to tighten).  Ooops. 

Not a problem.  Pickup new drain plug.  Unscrew old drain plug and plug head separates from threads still in the drain plug hole.  Still not a problem, just unscrew the nylon threads from the hole . . . .

Houston, we have a problem.  I first tried a flat head file, which fit nicely into the nylon and gave me 4 biting edges.  Nope.  Even with a screw extractor, which gets really tight, the nylon threads won't separate from the aluminum threads.  I'm at the point of buying a pipe tap and re-threading the nylon out of the aluminum.  I'm also thinking that's a bad idea.

Anyone have a better method of getting the nylon threads out?  Heat on the aluminum with the extractor maybe?

- bob

No dash switches work
Ivylog

Powering the headlights and clearance lights should be fairly easy so you can go on with your life as full timers. M&M got into the Intellitec multiplex repair because they had a customer with problems. Hopefully they will do the same with the chassis multiplex…sounds like they are working on it.

Water Heater Drain Plug
Bob Jones

Did you not have Teflon tape on the nylon plug? On my Atwood I need to use a lot of Teflon tape to get it to seal. Anyway, can you use a sharp pick to remove the pieces? I don't think I would be too concerned about using heat if you need to. Depending on how much of it is remaining you may be able to use a lot of heat and then pry the remainder up and grab it with needle nose pliers or some such. 

Btw, a picture is often worth a thousand words 😉

Ivan K
45 minutes ago, mrbill1951 said:

Thanks Ivan!

Is yours in the FRB?  I just check mine and didn't see it.  Wonder if it is under the dash somewhere.

Yes, that is a picture of part of the FRB on ours. No clue where yours might be if not there. I would think that it would be protected from elements but can't tell for sure.

mrbill1951

Thanks!

Tire lifespan
woodylmiller

Something also to consider: tire shortages.  Good luck finding TOYO's right now.  I just bought 8 and that took me a few days of looking.  Had to buy them online and had them shipped to me.  So, will the price and availability improve over the next year or get worse?  My money is both will get worse.  Container ships are stacked up like cord wood and can't get unloaded.  Inflation will add a $1,000 to the set of 6 new tires in my opinion depending on brand.  My tires were right near the 7 year mark on the drive and tag, the steers were less than a couple years old but they were Goodyears that I was stuck with while stranded in New Mexico and it was all they had.  All tires had good tread left, but supply and inflation led me to believe it was the time to bite the bullet.  Then after buying 8 TOYO's, I opted for some Bullet Rye Whiskey, which didn't lower the cost of the tires, but I felt better.  Good luck on your project.  Beware, 315's would not fit on the steer position on my Dynasty, they rubbed, also the tire chart said 295's for all 8.  Lot of money for 8 tires, but have you been to a body shop lately and priced just a paint job?  My 8 TOYO's cost me $4,500 installed, delivered, taxes, disposal fees and balance beads in all tires.  Now, where's that bottle Bullet Rye?

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty

Big space in front of Genset.
woodylmiller

To the gentleman using zip ties, I suggest using the black ones and good quality if you haven't.  Cheap ties will not last long, even the black ones.  UV will eat the cheap ones in a couple of years.  A shop used some cheap crap to hold a small box on our toad and they broke and the box dropped.  They were 3 years old and the thick ones, 1/4", but cheap.  I replaced for the time being with Thomas/Betts black ties, which are high industry standard zip ties.

I have thought the same thing about all that wasted space in front of the gen.  Great place to store something for sure.

Woody Miller

98 Dynasty headlight upgrade
woodylmiller

I replaced my dated headlights and got them from WalMart of all places and the price was incredible.  Great projector type lights with LED surrounds.  Now, do they have lamp adjustment shops anymore?

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty

woodylmiller

Check ALL your circuit breaker connections in the rear run box.  That was where I found my problem with what you describe.  One lug on the load side of a 150 amp breaker was so loose it all but melted the lug.  Tightened everything up and that was that.  I have since replaced the circuit breaker, they're cheap.  The heat from a loose connection can melt copper.

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty

Windshield Wiper trouble
whaley96raw

I have the parts list from 2020. Is there a later version?

Big space in front of Genset.
Land Lubber
1 hour ago, woodylmiller said:

To the gentleman using zip ties, I suggest using the black ones and good quality if you haven't.  Cheap ties will not last long, even the black ones.  UV will eat the cheap ones in a couple of years.  A shop used some cheap crap to hold a small box on our toad and they broke and the box dropped.  They were 3 years old and the thick ones, 1/4", but cheap.  I replaced for the time being with Thomas/Betts black ties, which are high industry standard zip ties.

I have thought the same thing about all that wasted space in front of the gen.  Great place to store something for sure.

Woody Miller

I used heavy duty black zip ties as you suggested. Being that they are not exposed to sunlight I'm not sure that UV light will be an issue. I'll keep an eye on them though. Thanks for the tip. On my Camelot, there wasn't much usable space in front of the genset plus the windshield washer tank is mounted there so I decided to avoid damaging the hose leading to the wipers by not attempting to build a box around them. I have more usable space on top of the genset.

Funny heat pumps…
vito.a

Do you have the two original Dometic 5 button Comfort Control thermostats?  The front one controls the front AC and the rear controls the other two?

Will all three cool on AC?

Have you tried deselecting Aqua Hot electric on the kitchen Intellitec switch and then try the heat pumps?

Have any of your AC/Heat Pumps been replaced?

Are you certain all three are heat pumps?

Have you checked and reset all three AC circuit breakers?  

You can try a thermostat reset.  Turn off the black slide switch on the bottom (slide forward) of the thermostat.  Then simultaneously hold the top Mode button and the bottom Zone button while sliding the on/off switch on.  You will see FF in the display.  Reset both thermostats.  Select Heat Pump on all three zones.  Wait 5 min and all three should come on.   

If the above doesn't fix it, then the control board dip switches should be checked.  This is especially true if any have been replaced.  Turn the thermostats off before you make any dip switch changes and make sure you perform a reset after making changes. 

There's a row of small dip switches on each AC control board.  These determine the zone as well as if it's a heat pump or if it has an electric heat strip.  The control board is accessed from the roof.  Remove the plastic shroud, then a small metal cover on the right front of the AC.  The control board is inside and each switch is labeled.  All three should be checked to make sure the zones are set correctly (none of them have the same zone number and they are sequential) as well as the heat pump option is selected.  

For a diagram of the dip switches, look at Fig 23 (page 13) on these instructions:  6/14/18 640312 640315 CCC 2 3312020 Electronic Control Kit Ducted 3105007 Air Conditioner Installation Instructions (dometic.com)

Best of luck!

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.