Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/566-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Oil Level Sensor Failure
dl_racing427
Tire lifespan
Ivylog
Water Heater Drain Plug
Frank Bergamo
Entry Door Grab Bar
Newcsn
Trouble shooting the TCU and ECM
USMC E-5
Dash air problem
saflyer
Transmission Temp range
jacwjames
Entry Door Grab Bar
Dr4Film
Water Heater Drain Plug
Ivylog
Water Heater Drain Plug
cbr046
Funny heat pumps…
Pduggs
Windshield Wiper trouble
Hypoxia
Transmission Temp range
Ivan K
Transmission Temp range
jacwjames
Oil Level Sensor Failure
mrbill1951
Odometer is way off
mpgast
Transmission Temp range
Ivan K
Water Heater Drain Plug
Steve Maurer
3rd Brake Light Replacement
markdflaten
JDCrow
markdflaten
Air leak
KevinH
Air leak
ncsteve
Air leak
Chargerman
Air leak
welleking
Air leak
Hypoxia
Tank sensors
Chargerman
Funny heat pumps…
96 EVO
Tank sensors
rangerboat
No dash switches work
Gary Cole
Tank sensors
Hypoxia
Tank sensors
vito.a
Automatic Select Switch
woodylmiller
Automatic Select Switch
vito.a
Odometer is way off
Chuck B
Windshield Wiper trouble
Paul A.
Tank sensors
Chuck B
Odometer is way off
mpgast
Odometer is way off
Chuck B
Tank sensors
Chargerman
Tire lifespan
Rikadoo
Tank sensors
Chuck B
Rikadoo
JDCrow
Tank sensors
Chargerman
Water Heater Drain Plug
genemenne
Odometer is way off
just_john1
Air leak
KevinH
Water Heater Drain Plug
cbr046
Water Heater Drain Plug
Bob Jones

Oil Level Sensor Failure
dl_racing427
20 hours ago, mrbill1951 said:

Just to wrap this topic up.  I did find a shop in Chehalis, WA that could do the work. Great service, Transmission Unlimited. Owner volunteered to come out and do the work in my driveway. It is now fixed w/ a new oil level sensor, wiring harness, fluid change and new filters.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

For reference, what trans do you have, and what was involved with replacing the sensor?

Thanks.

Tire lifespan
Ivylog
On 10/3/2021 at 8:24 AM, Ivylog said:

I just replaced my rear 295‘s with 11 R 22.5‘s, probably the most common truck tire…6 tires was $2300 installed, out the door…

I considered not replacing until June 2022… before our next big trip. Like Woody ^^^ tires are in short supply and I do not see it getting better. Would have preferred Toyo or Hankook but not readily available so went with what my tire guy recommended… Americus, made in Thailand.  In 7 years it will be interesting to see if I replace them or go for 10 years. By then there will be more info on how good a tire they are.

Water Heater Drain Plug
Frank Bergamo

If you have access, left hand drill bit, works every time. Hope this helps.

Entry Door Grab Bar
Newcsn

Being we’re on the topic of lighted grab bars; our 06 Dynasty D4 has an interior & exterior lighted bar. Both have been working flawlessly until a week ago. Now neither light. Anyone know where I’d find the fuse to see little buggers? Figured I’d start there! Thanks 

Trouble shooting the TCU and ECM
USMC E-5

Mike ,Had similiar problem had a loose ground in rear big boy compartment ,green plastic block upper left cornerwith 14/16 gauge white wires,all were not tight?? white  ground was one was the ECM which caused warning on dash and shutdown. Hope it works out for you.

Dash air problem
saflyer
On 10/1/2021 at 1:33 PM, Ray Davis said:

Look at the diagram, left lower connector.  It says front dist panel , 7.5A fuse.  I think it says fuse # 19 but it's not clear enough for me.

We would need additional diagrams to see where it ties in with the ignition sw from there.   If the 7.5A fuse fixes it I guess it wouldn't matter how it all connects to the ign.

Unfortunately when I make the diagram large enough for my eyes the letters are too fuzzy to read. I appreciate the effort of the person who posted it but I can’t read it.

Transmission Temp range
jacwjames

Does anyone know which port on the Allison Transmission is the feed and/or return line from the cooler.  My temperature sensor is mounted in an aluminum block on the passenger side port.  Is this the correct port?  

Since I did have my transmission changed not sure if Cummins reversed the lines or not.  If the didn't remove the lines they would have had to put a union between the two lines, possible but not easy since one has a 90 degree elbow.  

Just trying to eliminate all possibilities. 

Entry Door Grab Bar
Dr4Film

First place I would look is in the FRB (aka front run bay).

Water Heater Drain Plug
Ivylog

Take a hacksaw blade and cut the nylon down to the top of the aluminum threads. Use the tip of a good knife to pry one side of the nylon threads up.

Water Heater Drain Plug
cbr046
15 minutes ago, Ivylog said:

Take a hacksaw blade and cut the nylon down to the top of the aluminum threads. Use the tip of a good knife to pry one side of the nylon threads up.

That might be what it will take.  The extractor is basically a LH drill bit.  It gets in there pretty tight but won't move the nylon.  

- bob

Funny heat pumps…
Pduggs

I have only one thermostat. Five button CCC. All three do cool okay. I will try to operate all three with the intelligtec AH switches off. All three units must have heat pumps because all have produced heat, just not at the same time. I’ve done the thermostat reset but nothing changed. I don’t believe any of my ACs were replaced, but I’m not certain. I bought the coach from the original owner who had it ten years. He never indicated any were replaced. 

I’ll check the dip switches. 

Windshield Wiper trouble
Hypoxia

The two wiper suppliers I am aware of that Monaco used was AM Equipment that Scotty gave a link to and Wiper Technologies .  Look at the wiper motor, if it has a "Monaco Kit Number" on it then it is Wiper Technologies.  A phone call to them, 833-947-3771, will get you the exact part numbers needed and avoid duplicating any wrong parts installed by a previous owner.  The supplier that Dr4Film gave you is a great site to get a variety of RV parts if you know exactly what you need.  Wiper Technologies pricing for the 36" BA900V blades is $20.52 plus shipping which is much better than RV & Marine.

Torque value seems to be fluid.  I was told 35 ft lb when I bought the arms.  Today was told 50 ft lbs.  I guess if they move increase the torque until they don't.

Transmission Temp range
Ivan K

Jim, mine appears to have the same sensor location you described. Check the pic out.

2017-11-20_14-18-50_000.jpg

Transmission Temp range
jacwjames

Thanks Ivan, that's where mine is.

Do you know if the hose with temp sensor goes to the bottom port of the oil cooler? 

Been doing some reading and  you'd want the transmission out port going to the top of the cooler since that would be hotter then the bottom.  The oil would cool before it returns to the transmission.   Mine goes to the lower port.  Not sure how much difference it wold make but any little bit helps. 

Oil Level Sensor Failure
mrbill1951

I have the Allison MD3060 transmission.

He drained the fluid, removed the filters, unbolted the bottom of the transmission, dropped the bottom out, removed the oil level sensor, compared the old one with the new one and determined the new one was not correct and order another new one.  Once he had the replacement, replaced the oil level sensor and wiring harness, bolted the bottom of the transmission back into place, insert the filters and filled it up.  It appeared to be a fairly straight forward process, as long as you have the right parts.

Below is a picture of the bottom of the transmission sitting on my garage floor waiting for the right part.

Cost to replace, with two trips out to my place, was $1,403, which includes $880 of parts.

transmission.jpg

Odometer is way off
mpgast

The odometer is reading in the 25000s but should be reading 68000s. 
Is the odometer fixable?  If so where in Southwest Florida is a good mechanic?

Mike

2007 Holiday Rambler Neptune 

325 Cummins

Allison Trans

Transmission Temp range
Ivan K

Jim, like yours, mine goes to the lower radiator port. It would be too short to swap them at that side only. 

Water Heater Drain Plug
Steve Maurer

Go to hardware store, get sprinkler pipe extractor. It is designed to remove plastic pipe.

markdflaten

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133383170850?hash=item1f0e41ab22:g:M7sAAOSwX9FZEifG

Fits the following: 

Motorhome 3rd brake light 

For use on the many of the following Year/Make/Models:

Holiday Rambler/Monaco/Roadmaster Third Brake light 9 3/4" x 1 1/4" 

holiday rambler endeavor

holiday rambler ambassador

holiday rambler endeavor

holiday rambler imperial

holiday rambler vacationer

monaco diplomat

monaco knight

monaco lapalma

holiday rambler endeavor

holiday rambler neptune

holiday rambler scepter

monaco cayman

monaco diplomat

monaco knight

monaco lapalma

monaco monarch

holiday rambler admiral

holiday rambler endeavor

holiday rambler imperial

holiday rambler neptune

monaco camelot

monaco cayman

monaco diplomat

monaco knight

monaco lapalma

monaco monarch

safari cheetah

safari simba

holiday rambler admiral

holiday rambler endeavor

holiday rambler neptune

monaco cayman   

monaco diplomat

monaco knight

monaco lapalma

monaco monarch

safari cheetah

safari simba

safari trek

beaver monterey

holiday rambler endeavor

holiday rambler neptune

monaco cayman

monaco diplomat   

monaco dynasty

monaco lapalma

monaco monarch

holiday rambler endeavor

holiday rambler scepter

monaco knight

safari simba

safari trek

holiday rambler endeavor

holiday rambler neptune

monaco cayman

monaco lapalma
    safari cheetah

Image 1 - Motorhome 3rd Brake Light for Monaco/ Holiday Rambler/Roadmaster 24 LED'S

JDCrow

That’s the one I bought 

markdflaten
Just now, JDCrow said:

That’s the one I bought 

Thank you !!!

Air leak
KevinH

Does anybody know what this is I have one on each side of the drive axle. 2006 beaver patriot thunder tag axle. They both leak air I’ve tightened up the screws it that still leaks. Thanks Kevin 

4EFD0E98-6A0C-4B9E-A107-10A6A1100562.jpeg

ABA26E7F-8338-4FE8-B640-58643A72562A.jpeg

Air leak
ncsteve

Those are you ride height valves.

Air leak
Chargerman

You should be able to get them at most any truck repair center

Air leak
welleking

placing of those depends on your suspension . there are 3 on most coaches. independent front will have 1 on each side and 1 on the rear axle. solid front suspensions are usually the opposite. 

Tank sensors
Chargerman

My coach had the original monitoring system tied into my Aladdin. Everything in the systems functions fine but my gray and black tank sensors do not read correctly. I realize I can replace the sensors and would like to do so but before I purchase them I was hoping to hear feedback from those that have replaced these if they were successful/pleased with the accuracy of the original style sensors after replacing them. 
I am aware of the Seelevel setup and am considering changing to that also but first desired option is to stay with the factory system if it can be reasonably accurate with new sensors

Funny heat pumps…
96 EVO

Yeah, try it with the AH electric switch turned off.

It's not impossible they wired it wrong, and put the AH element on the same line as two of your HP's.

Tank sensors
rangerboat

Forget sensors and just empty tanks on a schedule. We have 40 gal gray and black tanks. I dump the black every Tuesday whether it needs it or not and I dump the gray tanks every other day. Sensors are something that works great for a while and then junk gets on them and is nearly impossible to remove unless you want to start the rig, run it down the highway agitating the inside tanks and then hopefully they clear. Dumping the tanks is a ten minute (at worst) job. Forget sensors.

No dash switches work
Gary Cole

I like the idea of installing a row of switches. In addition you might give some consideration to installing remote control relays in parallel with the switches so as to have manual override capability. The relay units are available with up to 12 channels with both digital and analog outputs if needed for about $50.00. You could use either RF control or bluetooth. Bluetooth offers device pairing along with a lot of control and programming options including using a cell phone app. You can use multiple RF remotes so long as you match frequencies. Multiple remotes would offer control in any location in your RV. I've installed 3 of these systems including one which I use to control both the lighting, air filtration and dust control system in my shop. I use the analog outputs to control motor speed using VFDs however with compatible driver matching the outputs could be used to dim LED lights.

I would do whatever it took to rid myself of such a system which seems to delight in taking hostages at the least opportune moment.

Good luck

Tank sensors
Hypoxia

I've had good luck with the Aladdin sensors.  I have replaced one or two over the years.

Tank sensors
vito.a

I've replaced the tank quantity sensors and calibrated the system on all of my Monaco coaches.  

It's a challenge finding the sensor.  The key is following the gray phone cable.  

There are two sources for the sensor.

http://www.catconproducts.com/RV-sensor.html

http://www.nwrvsupply.com/product/16622728.html

Automatic Select Switch
woodylmiller

Trying to figure out if the third A/C has to be turned off to use the 230 volt clothes dryer.  Looking at the schematic it appears not.  The clothes washer does appear to go through the system, and the third A/C is turned off.  My reading is the dryer connects to lug only in the subpanel and the circuit protection is a separate circuit breaker panel located near the dryer.  I have also heard this system referred to as an "EMS" and is located in the bedroom wardrobe closet.  This is for a 2008-9 Dynasty.  I say 08/09, registration says 09, some chassis stuff say 08 which I will say is most likely just the rolling chassis.  We have the dreaded Kongsburg Chassis Multiplex and dang if I haven't lost another switch module, the front windshield visor is having a constant 12vdc applied to the motor in the shade.  Temporarily Joe Mageed that until I can get to Coberg and have the REV techs plug their laptop into the CADET system.  d*** the luck.  

My question is just for discussion since it is causing no problems, just curios if I'm reading the schematic right.  Thanks,

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty Regal IV

Automatic Select Switch
vito.a

No.  The dryer is 240 volt and the AC is 120v.  However, the AC does share a breaker with the washer.  It is supposed to load share.  It should automatically cut the power to the shared AC when running the washer.  You have an Intellitec load sharing relay somewhere, probably in the closet.  

Also, do not confuse the Kongsburg chassis multiplex with the Intellitec house multiplex.  Two separate systems.  

Hope this helps.  

Odometer is way off
Chuck B

It's against the law to tamper with a vehicle odometer reading.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Tank sensors
Chuck B

The tank sensors need to be recalibrated.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Odometer is way off
mpgast

Nobody messed with the odometer. It just stopped working correctly. 
do you anything positive about fixing odometer?  We can get correct mileage from the ECM unit on the motor. 

Odometer is way off
Chuck B

Good luck in finding a mechanic to fix it.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Tank sensors
Chargerman

Thanks Vito for the links. Does someone have/know when I can find the recalibration procedure?  I don’t think calibration is my issue but I will give it a try. When replacing I would imagine the new ones will needing calibration also?

Tire lifespan
Rikadoo

So i had decided to replace my front steers, my search between the computer an my phone was over 2 hours, i finally found a place in West Sac, ca that said there were only 4 hankooks AH-37 in the state. So he had 2 sent from there to his location. The person (Richard) at Radial tire center was AWSOME, he comunicated with me every step of the way. 
All that said i will say know what your 1st choise is an what your second choise can be, cause my 1st were Toyo’s an not available, so as i was asking for availability i had choise on my side and didnt have to settle for “what they had” my AH37s were $441.00 each

Tank sensors
Chuck B

You should have a Aladdin manual that came with your coach.  Recalibration procedure is in that manual.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Rikadoo

7BE50EB5-EAAD-402B-8F36-B4C931F45867.thumb.jpeg.d19e35c7ee0c673ac9709beeefbf1e70.jpeg

Add this to the circuit, it gives everyone behind a better warning on your intention.

JDCrow
19 minutes ago, Rikadoo said:

7BE50EB5-EAAD-402B-8F36-B4C931F45867.thumb.jpeg.d19e35c7ee0c673ac9709beeefbf1e70.jpeg

Add this to the circuit, it gives everyone behind a better warning on your intention.

I bought that also, and taillight upgrade that I’ll put on my mod thread 

Tank sensors
Chargerman

Ok. Thank you. I will take a look. 

Water Heater Drain Plug
genemenne
6 hours ago, Ivylog said:

My plug broke in exactly the same way (I over-tightened it trying to stop it from leaking).  Used a hack saw blade, like Ivylog said, in 3-4 places, then pried with a small flat blade screw driver and the plug easily deformed and I was able to grab with a needle nose pliers.  Plug remains came out surprisingly easily.  Use lots of Teflon when installing new plug.  Gene M

Odometer is way off
just_john1

I have he same problem. The trip mete works just fine. The Odometer seems to only to register about a 10th of the miles.

Air leak
KevinH

OK thanks everyone. I know I have two of them in the back not sure about the front yet. I read somewhere that there’s a gasket that can be replaced. 

Water Heater Drain Plug
cbr046

Got it out but had to heat the outlet with a small mapgas torch.  It was tricky with the Styrofoam donut

- bob

1005211516.jpg

1005211431a_HDR.jpg

Water Heater Drain Plug
Bob Jones

Way to go! 

When you put the new one in, use a LOT of Teflon tape and less force. If it still leaks, take it back out, remove the Teflon tape, and put even more on. I have found it always takes more than I thought and I've done it so many times now that I just wrap it until you almost can't see the threads anymore. 

Preventing DUVAC alternator problems
mike_fluharty

I have been following this topic for awhile and ordered an ML-ACR yesterday.  One question I have is where is alternator (DUVAC) getting its battery voltage information from, it appears that all the wires that were going to the ssi are being moved to the ML-ACR so where is the alternator battery sense wire coming undone?

Thanks,

Mike Fluharty

2003 Safari Zanzibar

ISL 370

Preventing DUVAC alternator problems
jacwjames
6 minutes ago, mike_fluharty said:

I have been following this topic for awhile and ordered an ML-ACR yesterday.  One question I have is where is alternator (DUVAC) getting its battery voltage information from, it appears that all the wires that were going to the ssi are being moved to the ML-ACR so where is the alternator battery sense wire coming undone?

Thanks,

Mike Fluharty

2003 Safari Zanzibar

ISL 370

On my coach there is a separate circuit for the DUVAC circuit, I have a fuse in the passenger side rear electrical compartment with the circuit hooked to the battery. 

2002 Dip, first MH to cut our teeth on
JDCrow

Started in on modding the taillights and had an employee call in sick, dang 

390C00FE-835A-480F-A344-E7284885E285.jpeg

48EFEEA6-F5AA-46EB-837F-0C5421748B24.jpeg

Tank sensors
Gary 05 AMB DST

Has anyone put a cleanout access on the back of the black water tank? Open the access and wash the sensors with a stream of water. If so, could you post a photo of the access setup?

Gary 05 AMB DST

Tank sensors
Darren A.

Tank sensors
Chargerman

Have put in a clean out access and would be in any rush to do it. Mine has a built in rinse sprayer. The sensors are easy to remove. Mine are screwed into the bottom of each tank. Not much to clean on them. Supposedly they are not affected by the type of matter in a tank but I can imagine if one had a poorly maintained tank where solids were able to dry out and bridge the sensor it would be affected. 

Tank sensors
Gary 05 AMB DST

Has anyone pulled the rinse sprayer and run water through it to see the stream?

Gary 05 AMB DST

Tank sensors
Chuck B

I never had a issue with my black tank.  Before traveling, I would drain, flush, and then put a couple gallons of fresh water in it.  While traveling the water would slosh around in the tank breaking up any solids that might have remained.  At my next stop that had a dump I would dump first and put another couple of gallons of water.  I was fortunate that my toilet was on the passenger side of the coach.  I would open up the toilet blade and run a hose down the opening to flush what was left in the bottom of the tank toward the opening.  I would then close the valve allowing a couple gallons of fresh water to cover the bottom of the tank so that any solids would not stick to the bottom.  You get the drift?  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Tank sensors
Hypoxia
1 hour ago, Gary 05 AMB DST said:

Has anyone put a cleanout access on the back of the black water tank? Open the access and wash the sensors with a stream of water. If so, could you post a photo of the access setup?

Gary 05 AMB DST

That's not a leak I want to experience!  I like the idea but ........

Tank sensors
Chargerman

Thanks for posting the video Darren. I think I’m going to buy a new set of sensors to start fresh. I know my tanks are very clean so I’m going to go for it. 
thanks everyone for the info and responses

Water Pump On OFF Switch
rmelling0
On 10/1/2021 at 1:19 PM, Dr4Film said:

Thanks.  Just ordered one.  Mine works but light doesnt anymore.  Didn't want to mess with figuring out if bulb could be replaced.  Just keeping it simple.

Rick M

2000 Exec

Rikadoo

No. I remember i told you about the flasher, i was just tellin the other person that was looking for the high mount lights to use it.

JDCrow
13 minutes ago, Rikadoo said:

No. I remember i told you about the flasher, i was just tellin the other person that was looking for the high mount lights to use it.

?????

Rikadoo

Sorry i interupted you 3 brake lamp conversation with markdflatten.FB551724-3A47-4D6A-9062-7D849A1C9A1A.thumb.jpeg.88e2aedc48b90b73bbb7e692eea62a47.jpegFB551724-3A47-4D6A-9062-7D849A1C9A1A.thumb.jpeg.88e2aedc48b90b73bbb7e692eea62a47.jpeg

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.