Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/567-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

3rd Brake Light Replacement
Rikadoo
Tank sensors
miacasa_2000
Water Heater Drain Plug
veraken
Oil Level Sensor Failure
dl_racing427
Replaced Norcold 1200LIRM
miacasa_2000
Air leak
dl_racing427
Aluminum wheel source
amphi_sc
Aluminum wheel source
Dr4Film
Air leak
Corkman
Repair or Replace Refrigerator
powersltc
Dr4Film
Water Heater Drain Plug
RS lakeshore
jacwjames
Aluminum wheel source
Paul A.
Aluminum wheel source
jacwjames
Ivylog
Aluminum wheel source
Chuck B
New exhaust
Dr4Film
Transmission Temp range
vegaman19760
Aluminum wheel source
bftownes
Aluminum wheel source
Chuck B
Air leak
dl_racing427
Aluminum wheel source
Ivylog
Air leak
Chargerman
Air leak
dl_racing427
Aluminum wheel source
Dr4Film
Aluminum wheel source
Chuck B
Aluminum wheel source
Ivan K
Help Locating Diagram
We2dynasty
Air leak
Ivylog
SteveJ
Help Locating Diagram
We2dynasty
We2dynasty
jegall
Air leak
Corkman
Air leak
Chargerman
Automatic Select Switch
woodylmiller
Help Locating Diagram
Gary 05 AMB DST
Automatic Select Switch
Hypoxia
Trouble shooting the TCU and ECM
PeterSchweizer
klcdenver
Air leak
Ivylog
JDCrow
Dr4Film
Air leak
Ivan K
Aluminum wheel source
vito.a

3rd Brake Light Replacement
Rikadoo

Sorry i interupted you 3 brake lamp conversation with markdflatten.FB551724-3A47-4D6A-9062-7D849A1C9A1A.thumb.jpeg.88e2aedc48b90b73bbb7e692eea62a47.jpegFB551724-3A47-4D6A-9062-7D849A1C9A1A.thumb.jpeg.88e2aedc48b90b73bbb7e692eea62a47.jpeg

Tank sensors
miacasa_2000

Gary

When I first got my coach I didn't realize at first my spray was doing nothing. I took it off the tank and it was caked solid removed cleaned it and tested it. It shoots a lot of water in all directions . Not sure how well it washes the walls it won't reach the whole length of the tank but for sure washes the bottom out well.  I also use a clear 45 degree connection between tank and sewer hose and besides now being able to hear it wash I can see it as well.

Roy

2003 dynasty

Water Heater Drain Plug
veraken

X2 on sprinkler pipe extractor.  I carry one along with extra plugs

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Orbit-Riser-Extractor/3420774

Oil Level Sensor Failure
dl_racing427

Thanks, that's the same tranny I have.

Mine's a 1993 however, and I don't think it has the oil level sensor.

I know I've tried the code to read it from the keypad and it doesn't work.

If a non-critical sensor failure like that is going to strand me, I rather just check my fluids manually anyway..

I'd have thought there'd be anoption to bypass the sensor in an emergency anyway.

Cummins 400ISL Oil Change and Transmission Service
FishAR

Dropped it off at 8:30 Monday morning and haven't heard anything since. Feeling a little nervous about the whole deal so I'll go up there today and see what's going on.

I seriously doubt they worked on it for 2 full days, if I thought so I'd also be very nervous about the bill.

Replaced Norcold 1200LIRM
miacasa_2000

To all who posted they would like parts I'm back from traveling around and have time now. So probably best to private message me and we'll take it from there.

Roy

2003 Dynasty

Air leak
dl_racing427
14 hours ago, KevinH said:

OK thanks everyone. I know I have two of them in the back not sure about the front yet. I read somewhere that there’s a gasket that can be replaced. 

Before getting under the coach, PLEASE be sure it's supported by properly rated jack stands under the frame. 👀
Disturbing those valves, or a failure in any part of the air system can drop the coach nearly to the ground.  If your head is under there, I hope you have good life insurance for your family.

I HATE reading the stories of RV'ers who have lost their lives this way.

jacwjames

Most of what you described you needed done is cut and dry. 

But the Generator no start and AC not working could be a black hole depending what they find both for time and parts. 

Dropping by and talking to the shop foreman would be a good idea. 

When I had to have my radiator replaced I went in a number of time and had multiple phone calls.  But I knew the shop manager and told them to take care of me. 

Aluminum wheel source
amphi_sc

Where's the best source for a matching aluminum wheel?

Aluminum wheel source
Dr4Film

There are two brands used by Monaco, Accuride & Alcoa.

Look in the Monacoers Parts List for more information.

Air leak
Corkman

Have you actually read about someone dying this way?

powersltc

Ron P., 2004 Monaco Executive 

My refrigerator in my 2004 Monaco Executive is worn out.  I am told that the cooling unit needs to be replaced.   My question is should I replace cooling unit or replace the entire refrigerator. 

If anyone has had any experience with this,  please share.  If you replaced your refrigerator and it was a good fit, works fine, please provide,  model,  price,  etc. 

I saw that someone replaced their refrigerator with a Samsung RF18A5101SG. 

I have not used my refrigerator on LP.

RON P.  2004 Monaco Executive 

Dr4Film

Ron,

There are hundreds of posts on this very topic where many members including myself have replaced the NotSoCold with a residential fridge. Back in 2012 I had a Samsung RF-197 installed and it has been one of the BEST upgrades I have ever done. The Samsung RF18 is the newest version of the same fridge.

Search the Monacoers web site and you will have plenty to read.

It should be an easy fit going into an Executive.

Water Heater Drain Plug
RS lakeshore

I have found that if you use the heavy duty Teflon tape it seals much better on plastic an brass fittings. It is gray in color.

jacwjames

You are going to get a lot of advice. 

Surprised you have not used your refrigerator on propane as that is the main benefit of an absorption refrigerator, pretty efficient on propane, not so much on electric.

Our Norcold never was great, freezer would stay colder but refrigerator would fluctuate wildly.  I had to keep temp monitors in both and if it got too warm in refrigerator would transfer ice blocks from freezer.  Hate to think how much $$$ in food we threw away.   Finally replaced my Norcold after it finally gave up.  It had the recall (black box) and it kicked a couple times, at which point I reset, but there is a risk in doing this.  Ultimately it started to leak. 

Replaced with a Samsung RF18, very pleased, says cold.  In july I was in WY, outside temps +100, sun beating down on the side of the RV and Samsung dropped ice all day long. 

Depending on how your refrigerator is mounted the change can be easy or very difficult.  Mine was very difficult but I'd do it again.

I see Richard recommending a search but the search function on the Monacoers site is pitiful (unless I'm doing something wrong), I've never been able to use it with any success. 

Aluminum wheel source
Paul A.
1 hour ago, amphi_sc said:

You did not state if you wanted New, or Used, so i thought you may have success at one of these sources.  I called Accuride when i upgraded my tire size to 315's and they were very helpful and provided the information i requested.

RV Parts & Salvage Yards

Aluminum wheel source
jacwjames

There should be make/PN stamped on your current rim. 

Once I got the part number, it was an Accuride rim) I just did an internet search and bout one on line.  Best price I found at the time was from Florida Shores Truck Center

I bought one back in 2009 prior to going to AK, carried a mounted spare.

Ivylog

Don’t do what I did, Amish cooling unit,  new control board, extra fans, more insulation, you name it, I tried it… what a waste of money. I bought into the “no residential for a dry camping” which is NOT true. It takes 1 extra battery to power a residential refrigerator, IF you dry multiple days the. 2 is better.

I had to take the drivers window out to get a Whirlpool 21 in that was almost a perfect fit… 1/2” too tall. Required lowering the floor but saved the large drawer below. BEST MOD EVER and I’ve done quite a few… 04 Dynasty.

Unfortunately some of the pictures are no longer available in my DIY install.
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29110550/print/true.cfm

Aluminum wheel source
Chuck B

A few things to keep in mind when purchasing aluminum rims.  Most rims are Not polished on Both sides. Therefore when rotating tires, you have to dismount, turn over, and remount tires when moving from axle to axle.  The openings in the rims are unique to Monaco only.  Don't know if Monaco used the same rims on Beaver coaches.  The inner rims on the rear axle is made from steel.  Rotating tires can be an expensive cost.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

New exhaust
Dr4Film
On 7/18/2021 at 10:30 AM, Dr4Film said:

Van,

My Banks Power-Pack appears to have taken a dump on our trip to New Hampshire last May. We had stopped at a rest area about 150 miles from our final destination for the summer. Upon leaving the rest area I had absolutely no boost nor did I have any readings on my two Banks gauges, the EGT or the Boost. I pulled over to the side of the highway and installed the "bypass" plug that was given to me at the time of installation which bypasses the Ottomind ECM and returns the engine back to normal.

We drove the rest of the way to our jobs at Totem Pole Park with no problems. A few weeks later I checked the 5 amp power fuse to the Ottomind ECM to see if it had blown (as it had done before back in 2017 on our Western NP Trip) but it had not. I can only assume that the Ottomind ECM has now completely failed. I will do some more troubleshooting before we leave to return to Florida in October but I don't have my hopes up that I will find anything positive.

From posts that I have read on iRV2.com, others that had the Banks Power-Pack system installed have stated that their Ottomind ECM failed around the 6-8 year time-frame. I looked up when I had mine installed and it turns out that it had been working almost 8 years now as it was installed in July of 2013. Banks chose not to design their own proprietary ECM for the Power-Pack System as there wasn't enough of a market for them to recoup their research and design costs so I am SOOL.

Do you recommend the AG Diesel Solutions ECM for the Cummins ISC 8.3L with the CAPS Fuel System that you referenced in a post above?

I wish I could find something that would take the place of the failed Ottomind ECM utilizing the bigger turbo that Banks had installed and their gauges but that is only a pipe-dream.

Thanks!

I wanted to post a follow-up from the post above that I did back in July.

Today I decided to take a closer look at the two power wires that power up the Banks Power Pack Ottomind Control module. So while I was doing routine maintenance on my House Battery Bank I looked closer at the positive cable connection & it looked clean and secure however the negative side looked somewhat suspicious. I removed the negative wire and clipped the end off to crimp on a new ring connection. Hooked it back up to the negative connection and fired up the engine. To my surprise the Banks Power Pack system came alive.

So for whatever reason just stopping at a rest area and starting back up, the negative cable must have been compromised enough to shut down the Banks system at that time.

I am a Happy Camper now that I found the culprit.

Looking for a radiator for a 2004 Signature with a Detroit Series 60 515 hp.
ronwtg@sbcglobal.net

I have an update. Insurance is paying for the damage and now looking for parts. This is a Detroit series 60.

here are some pictures of the damage. I have given them sources but as you know if it’s a boat or an RV just double the price. I’m waiting to see what they come up with. 
Ron

1F96E294-1402-4810-A5E6-2369DAE85104.jpeg

CF3399FC-35E4-4508-BBA9-31F9E2403CD2.jpeg

Chuck B
2 hours ago, FishAR said:

Dropped it off at 8:30 Monday morning and haven't heard anything since. Feeling a little nervous about the whole deal so I'll go up there today and see what's going on.

I seriously doubt they worked on it for 2 full days, if I thought so I'd also be very nervous about the bill.

Dropping off your coach for service and not staying with it might move you to the bottom of the list.  If another coach comes in for service with the owner willing to wait while the work is being done might have priority in many shops.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Transmission Temp range
vegaman19760

Heat is what ruins transmissions.  All my race cars had transmission temp gauges.  Transmissions are expensive to replace especially Allison DP type transmissions.  From your explanations you have very (not extreme) high Trans temps assuming your water temps are normal.  I have driven those high hills on I-75 many times and my trans temps rarely go over 200 Deg F if that.  I monitor my trans temp from start up to trip end as part of the three extra digital sensors on my dash.

Hopefully you can get a good result on your trans fluid sample saying it is still good.  Trans fluid does wear out but can last a long time with proper filter changes.  I hope you are successful in finding what is causing the high temps of the trans fluid.  Myself, I would spend the time and money to take it to an authorized transmission dealer.  In my case that would be an specialty Allison Trans shop, not a Freightliner/Allison shop.  They would do an analysis of the fluid, change the filters if necessary and take it for a test drive to verify the trans itself is ok and that the cooling system is the problem if there is a problem.

It is always nice to be able to do things by ourselves but there are also times to let the experts do the job.  Good luck and let us know how you make out.  Stay well, Stay safe

Aluminum wheel source
bftownes
34 minutes ago, Chuck B said:

A few things to keep in mind when purchasing aluminum rims.  Most rims are Not polished on Both sides. Therefore when rotating tires, you have to dismount, turn over, and remount tires when moving from axle to axle.  The openings in the rims are unique to Monaco only.  Don't know if Monaco used the same rims on Beaver coaches.  The inner rims on the rear axle is made from steel.  Rotating tires can be an expensive cost.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

I have NEVER heard of anyone rotating motorhome tires, nor have I heard it recommended..

Aluminum wheel source
Chuck B

Rotating tires on a coach has come up several times in the past decade.  I Never say Never.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Air leak
dl_racing427

Unfortunately, yes, on more than one occasion.

One that comes to mind was a wife watching her husband die of asphyxiation from his coach crushing his chest.

Aluminum wheel source
Ivylog
2 hours ago, amphi_sc said:

Good luck finding a matching oval hole new rim as they are very scarce… going used from a RV salvage yard is about your only choice.

Air leak
Chargerman
1 hour ago, Corkman said:

Have you actually read about someone dying this way?

Are you asking this because you don’t believe that the possibility is there?  The risk is there and proper safeguards should always be considered and implemented 

Aluminum wheel source
Dr4Film
8 minutes ago, bftownes said:

I have NEVER heard of anyone rotating motorhome tires, nor have I heard it recommended..

5 minutes ago, Chuck B said:

Rotating tires on a coach has come up several times in the past decade.  I Never say Never.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Sounds like a James Bond movie.

I say "to each their own". I personally will never rotate tires nor would I recommend it. If someone is rotating tires to compensate for a tire wear problem then I say FIX the problem.

Moving used tires from the steers to the tag axle seems to make sense to me but to dismount and rotate tires around the coach is a waste of money in my opinion.

Aluminum wheel source
Chuck B

I would not either.  I am just posting what problems one might have if they rotate their tires.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Aluminum wheel source
Ivan K

When I was looking for a spare rim, I found a used one and polished it back to shiny life from http://www.rivervalleytruckparts.com/

Help Locating Diagram
We2dynasty

I recently goofed up and did not lock the front run bay under the drivers window.  While going down the road noticed the door flapping and pulled over to lock it.  Unfortunately the wiring diagram that has labels for all the connections is the run bay decided we should part company.  We have a 2000 Monaco Dynasty 38 ft.  If any one still has that diagram attached to their run bay door please advise.  God Bless, and have a great day, Ed

Air leak
Ivylog

“Lake Township Police Chief Mark Hummer said that Brian Collins, 33, was working under a motor home in the driveway of a private residence when the jacks apparently shifted killing him.”

I do not like metal jack stands on a metal frame^^^^. I support the back of my Navigator by raising it all the way up and then putting 40” long 6X6s crossways underneath the hitch, not the receiver, as the hitch is strong enough to support the back of the MH. In this situation I would lower the back onto these supports before working underneath.

OP, after bleeding all the air out I would undo the four screws and see if there happens to be a O-ring in there, instead of a gasket. New valves are not that expensive.

SteveJ

I know some people have not been happy with the 'Amish Cooling" unit but I think that 'depends'! The recent replacement models are much different and are actually compressors types, not absorption units. I replaced mine with their 12v compressor unit and could not be happier!! Coach is sitting outside in 90 degree heat and is -2 and 34. Have had it in the Florida sun for 4 months of over 100 degrees and it still stays the same temp. I went this way when the Norcold stopped cooling after trying many things. As long as the seals are still good, the 12v or 120v replacements are great. I have one with the 12v so we could dry camp, if wanted. I have 4 6 volt batteries and it will last more than 24 hours before having to run the generator to charge batteries. I do wish they offered a 12v/120v unit like I have on my boat but they so far have not done that. I chose to not replace the Norcold with a residential unit because: my wife really loves the matching front panels on the existing one, I don't have an inverter and it would have required major upgrade to install one and it was a MAJOR problem to change the configuration necessary to install something that might fit.

So I travelled to Indiana to have the 12v conversion done (didn't want to do it myself although doable) and the total was shy of $1400, not including getting the coach there. Done in less than three hours and no changes required.

I'm an example of a happy customer.

Help Locating Diagram
We2dynasty

Hi to all,

Recently I goofed up and left the front run bay door unlocked.  As we were traveling down the road I noticed the door was flapping up and down.  Pulled over to lock the door and noticed the diagram that was glued to the door had parted company.  This is the diagram that has labels for all the connections.  We have a 2000 Monaco Dynasty 38 ft.  If your MH still has that diagram attached to the run bay door would you please advise.  We would like to get a copy of that valuable piece of paper. God Bless and have a great day, Ed

We2dynasty

Ditto SteveJ. We installed the amish 120 volt unit in our 2000 Dynasty and did the replacement ourselves.  It was all accomplished inside the MH.  Very happy with the results.  Keeps ice-cream rock hard in 100 degree weather.  

jegall

Love my old norcold 1200 converted last July to a110 volt compressor works fantastic.

Air leak
Corkman
48 minutes ago, Chargerman said:

Are you asking this because you don’t believe that the possibility is there?  The risk is there and proper safeguards should always be considered and implemented 

49 minutes ago, Chargerman said:

Are you asking this because you I’m not asking because I don’t believe you I’m just wondering if anybody was able ever did that. I have blocks from mine and I agree with the ideadon’t believe that the possibility is there?  The risk is there and proper safeguards should always be considered and implemented 

I’m not asking because I don’t believe you I’m just wondering if anybody ever did that. I have blocks from mine and I agree with the idea

Air leak
Chargerman

While blocking is certainly a good way to go I don’t think using under the hitch is a fail safe location as the hitch is not rated to support the weight of the motorhome. 

Automatic Select Switch
woodylmiller

Vito, yea, I see where the washer and A/C share the same breaker.  That being the case the dryer is a separate animal and would not be part of the load sharing or shredding.  At which point it would be a matter if a 50 amp service could handle 3 A/C's running with the dryer going at the same time.  So, that would mean that the dryer running would not stop the 3rd A/C from running at the same time?  There was some thought that the I would have to manually turn off the third A/C at the T stat in order for the dryer circuit to energize.  In reality I don't think the 50 amp shore service could handle the load of everything on at once.  We do as a matter of principal turn off the third A/C at the T stat before doing laundry so I don't have to go out to the pedestal and reset the 50 amp breaker.

Woody Miller

Help Locating Diagram
Gary 05 AMB DST

Can anyone take a picture of the 12v fuse and service label mounted next to the 110 breaker panel? The current one has gotten messed up and is unreadable. I have a 05 Ambassador. Thank You.

Gary 05 AMB DST

Trouble shooting the TCU and ECM
PeterSchweizer

What / where is the rear big boy  compartment ?

BTW a 2008 42 ft coach is no where close to a 2001 in almost every system n layout

klcdenver

Either way is good and I have done both. I did the Amish 120v conversion and after refitting it the second time it worked good. Downfall to it is you still have an old fridge with failing door seals that or not replaceable. With the Samsung you have all new, in warranty and much more capacity.  We like the Samsung way better.

Air leak
Ivylog

By being 40” long you are supporting straight up to the rails on the S-10 chassis like the OP has. Have no idea how strong the hitch is on a R8RR chassis. And to add fuel to the fire, I would have my rig towed like the below… no driveshaft removal or cap damage.

679B9EA4-3C56-43E7-B627-F237A502295D.jpeg

JDCrow

So I’ll come from a different angle. We currently have 2 5th wheels (long story) both with residential fridges. One a Samsung and one an LG. Our coach has a Norcold with the updated Amish Evap guts 

We love the residential fridges, both work great. However,  RV forums for both brands are littered with complaints about how they cannot get service on the fridges. I’m sure shortage of qualified techs is one of the issues, but others have commented that the manufactures have denied their claims based on the idea the refer wasn’t designed to be “mobile” 

It’s just an observation. I’d be curious to know if anyone has had to have the Res refer worked on, and any thoughts on the experience. 

In one of our 5vers, you couldn’t get the to the back if you wanted to. It faces an island, barely misses it when opening, and it’s in a slide. I guess you could that the slide out? 

Dr4Film
10 minutes ago, klcdenver said:

Downfall to it is you still have an old fridge with failing door seals that or not replaceable. With the Samsung you have all new, in warranty and much more capacity.  We like the Samsung way better.

Plus doors that fall off when you least expect it!

Control boards that fail both eyebrow and main. Less than 12 cu/ft storage versus 18 cu/ft. Having to defrost the freezer versus frost-free. No air circulation in the fridge compartment which means you can't stuff the fridge full and expect it to keep the food cold enough not to spoil.

i was in the same position back in 2012. Had the appointment setup with the shop to have the Amish Unit installed. A friend came over and we were talking about my decision to have the Amish Unit installed and she proceeded to list all of the downsides listed above and more. That's when I cancelled the appointment, ordered a Samsung fridge to be delivered to a shop in Louisiana and then on my way to Alaska had the fridge installed.

I have NEVER been disappointed in that decision.

1 minute ago, JDCrow said:

It’s just an observation. I’d be curious to know if anyone has had to have the Res refer worked on, and any thoughts on the experience.

JD,

Our Samsung was installed in April of 2012. Went to Alaska to spend the summer with my sons and grand-kids. While up there we noticed water collecting on the bottom under the crisper bins. Once we were back to the lower 48 staying at a RV Park in Santa Clarita California I called Samsung to setup an appointment for diagnosis. They had a local service tech come out to the coach and he determined that the defrost drain line was frozen up and clogged. He called and found out that there was a "bulletin" issued about this problem and ordered two new larger defrost clips which hang down into the drain line preventing the line from freezing up. He installed one in the fridge area and one in the freezer area.

Problem solved and under warranty.

No more problems for the past 9 years.

Air leak
Ivan K

'To add fuel to the fire', you got that right, haha. Wonder if anyone can actually calculate the weight on the front axle when doing this with those 2 hanging axles.

Aluminum wheel source
vito.a

Monaco used Accuride wheels with a proprietary hole shape.  In 2009 Accuride stopped making the Monaco style wheels.  

Some coaches came with coated wheels and some with a bare polish finish. 

XP= high polish, SP= standard polish, and adding a "C" after makes it coated.  

If you have 295/80-R22.5 tires, the wheels are 8.25" wide X 22.5" diameter.  In 2009, the coaches with 315 front tires came with 9" wide X 22.5 wheels.  

https://www.accuridecorp.com/

JDCrow
16 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Plus doors that fall off when you least expect it!

Control boards that fail both eyebrow and main. Less than 12 cu/ft storage versus 18 cu/ft. Having to defrost the freezer versus frost-free. No air circulation in the fridge compartment which means you can't stuff the fridge full and expect it to keep the food cold enough not to spoil.

i was in the same position back in 2012. Had the appointment setup with the shop to have the Amish Unit installed. A friend came over and we were talking about my decision to have the Amish Unit installed and she proceeded to list all of the downsides listed above and more. That's when I cancelled the appointment, ordered a Samsung fridge to be delivered to a shop in Louisiana and then on my way to Alaska had the fridge installed.

I have NEVER been disappointed in that decision.

JD,

Our Samsung was installed in April of 2012. Went to Alaska to spend the summer with my sons and grand-kids. While up there we noticed water collecting on the bottom under the crisper bins. Once we were back to the lower 48 staying at a RV Park in Santa Clarita California I called Samsung to setup an appointment for diagnosis. They had a local service tech come out to the coach and he determined that the defrost drain line was frozen up and clogged. He called and found out that there was a "bulletin" issued about this problem and ordered two new larger defrost clips which hang down into the drain line preventing the line from freezing up. He installed one in the fridge area and one in the freezer area.

Problem solved and under warranty.

No more problems for the past 9 years.

Sweet thanks for the good info 

Air leak
Ivylog

I do much the same with my toad that weighs 4200 lbs. The front axle weight increases almost 350 lbs when lifting from the ball… 8%. 
My swag based on the longer overhang to wheel base is 4,000lbs extra on the front axle. No, I wouldn’t tow very far and would increase psi to max in the tires.

My point in posting the first picture is the hitch structure on a S-10 chassis is massive, even going to 15K in 09 (no structure changes) provided you didn’t lift the tag.

A9B2E741-F524-495D-B427-9099AF43949B.jpeg

Help Locating Diagram
Trinidaddave
1 hour ago, Gary 05 AMB DST said:

Can anyone take a picture of the 12v fuse and service label mounted next to the 110 breaker panel? The current one has gotten messed up and is unreadable. I have a 05 Ambassador. Thank You.

Gary 05 AMB DST

This is my 05 Safari Gazelle. It should be similar!image.thumb.jpeg.6e9b82601c8c6f6bbdda67f945610f27.jpeg

How to start and stop emails from Monacoers
Scotty Hutto

There are three types of emails you get from Monacoers:

1. Notifications for specific threads. You can sign up for these either by category or specific thread by clicking to follow (upper right on the page) a thread, a category (i.e., chassis, engine, etc.). You are automatically signed up for all threads that you post, and will automatically get notifications for any thread where you post a response.

To subscribe:
  • Click on the “Follow” button for any category or thread.
  • Or use the method below

To Unsubscribe:
  • Click on your name in the upper right corner of the page
  • Select “Manage Followed Conten” in the drop down
  • Select  “Topics”, “Forums” etc. on the left hand side
  • You can add or remove any Notifications from this screen

2. Daily Digest Newsletter - this is the daily email summarizing all activity on the site.

To subscribe / unsubscribe:
  • Select “Account Settings” in the drop down
  • On the left hand side of the pop-up box, select “Newsletters”
  • Select or unselect “Monacoers Daily Digest
  • You can also change the format from HTML to test on this page

3. Administrative emails (typically sent by an administrator to all signed up). These are very rare (less than 1 month). I strongly recommend that you do NOT turn these off, as it is the only way the administrators have to communicate with the entire community.  But…  if you must:

To unsubscribe from ALL site emails:
  • Select “Account Settings” in the drop down
  • On the right hand side of the pop-up box, select “Notification Settings”
  • Scroll to the bottom of the page and find the box titled:  “Notification Types available”
  • On the right hand side, click on the the highlighted line that says “Stop All Email Notifications”
  • After do this, you will not receive ANY emails from Monacoers

Hope that helps.

Scotty

Help Locating Diagram
Wblakepa

Hope this helps. We're driving a 2001 Dynasty 

20211006_134747.jpg

Air leak
KevinH

Wow all that information about  identifying a ride height control LOL.  when I get back to my coach I’m going to measure the right height.  then dump all the air including the front and rear air tanks and see how low she’ll go.

Tank sensors
SkyKingII

Chargerman, For what it is worth,do yourself a favor and spring for the SeeLevel's...I did on my 04 Diplomat about 9 years ago never to look back,I tell other RV friends,strangers met in campgrounds the best money I spent and only regret I have is I didn't do it 5 years earlier! They are very accurate when you check levels ,no more guessing like the factory installed" Some-Of -The-Time-Work" but rarely if ever accurate. You get a true reading 0-100% in 2-3% readings. I also had supplemental Remote Gauge installed in wet bay...love the ability to check tanks and monitor filling from outside with out trecking into Coach to check. Plus...Never had a single problem since installed. The other bennifit is they were able to remove original gauge from wall panel and cut new SeeLevel in same spot and looks factory. To me the best feature is all sensors are mounted on outside of tanks and read through tank for always accurate reading. Hope this helps and good luck with whatever system you decide on.

BruceE.Crocker

2004 Diplomat 40'PDQ

Air leak
Hypoxia
7 hours ago, dl_racing427 said:

Before getting under the coach, PLEASE be sure it's supported by properly rated jack stands under the frame. 👀
Disturbing those valves, or a failure in any part of the air system can drop the coach nearly to the ground.  If your head is under there, I hope you have good life insurance for your family.

I HATE reading the stories of RV'ers who have lost their lives this way.

Beating a dead horse, IMHO

2002 Dip, first MH to cut our teeth on
JDCrow

Oil showed up for a change maybe tomorrow 

6954C63F-BC80-4749-8CFA-CD83C5EB8A19.jpeg

Keys made
Flyinhy

I have another question about keys for you guys. I still don't have keys for the lower bay doors and I had the back plastic plate off one today and noticed an electric actuator on the lock itself. I thought the wires going into the door were for the sensors for the slides. Apparently this coach has electric locks. How would you go about replacing that "key fob" for the locks? Would that even be possible ?

Keys made
Dr4Film
On 10/4/2021 at 1:27 PM, Trinidaddave said:

I recently purchased a spare key on Amazon.  It works great.  It was a good thing since my original key broke soon after!

How did you break a barrel key and what part broke?

Keys made
JDCrow
14 minutes ago, Flyinhy said:

I have another question about keys for you guys. I still don't have keys for the lower bay doors and I had the back plastic plate off one today and noticed an electric actuator on the lock itself. I thought the wires going into the door were for the sensors for the slides. Apparently this coach has electric locks. How would you go about replacing that "key fob" for the locks? Would that even be possible ?

Are they electric locks or sensors to Alert yiu a door is open before you drive off? Mines not upper crust so don’t have them but heard others talk about them 

Help Locating Diagram
jacwjames

Ed,

In the Downloads section under Electrical systems/wiring diagrams there is a set of wiring diagrams for a 1999 Dynasty, which may be close to yours.

There is a wiring diagram for the FRB that has good detail, you might compare it to yours, you could easily make a fuse sheet based on this. 

Keys made
Flyinhy
4 minutes ago, JDCrow said:

Are they electric locks or sensors to Alert yiu a door is open before you drive off? Mines not upper crust so don’t have them but heard others talk about them 

They're definitely lock actuators. I'll take a pick tomorrow. 

Keys made
Trinidaddave
16 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

How did you break a barrel key and what part broke?

The tee handle separated from the barrel, so I brazed it back on.  It won’t break again!image.thumb.jpeg.30e1a413f198a58bacf86f4c82fe1909.jpeg

image.png

Keys made
Dr4Film

Wow....that key must have been poorly made or had some physical abuse done to it in the past.

I would have never though that a barrel key would break like that.

Thanks for the photo.

Help Locating Diagram
Gary 05 AMB DST

Thanks David, I'll compare to mine. Mine is a black background with white letters and numbers. I do have a listing of 24 fuses with a couple of open listings.

Gary 05 AMB DST

FishAR

Not a good Camelot day. For starters I got the title back and the know it all old hag at the dmv that gave me so much trouble managed to get Monaco Camalot on the title. Can't read, spell, or type and also sucks at public relations. Just a small aggravation I guess.

Went to the truck shop to see why I hadn't heard anything. I get "we had to drop the pan to see what filters the transmission took so we could order them, you've got your allison 1000's, 2000's,3000's. I was just getting ready to call about where they were at."

I said It's a 3000, I told you all that.  I've got a printout of every filter and fluid that goes in that motorhome laying on the kitchen table. I was trying to explain that and other things about what I wanted done to your guy when I brought it in but he let me know you all were experts and my input wasn't needed. So you all really haven't done anything yet.

"No sir but we're right on it as soon as those filters arrive, we want to do it all at once"

I said Well you've got my number so how about giving me a call about progress every now and then. This was supposed to be 2 days, this is 3 days already. 

-----------------------------------------------------

I'll do things different next time for sure.

jacwjames

Yup, that's what happens when you deal with a big shop that has business all day long. 

Live and learn. 

I have a guy that I use for all my automobile repairs that I can't/won't do.  Great to work with and very reasonable.  A couple years ago the starter on my Jeep was gong out, I bought a new starter and intended to do it myself but needed some specialty tools that I didn't have.  Drove the Jeep over there, he wasn't there, just put a note on the door that the starter was in the front seat.  He called my that afternoon said it was done.  Don't know why but he doesn't want to charge me enough money so I always give him more then he asks.  He's never let me down.    Once you find a good shop/mechanic you've got to keep them happy. 

Just the opposite if you find a bad shop, you never go back and tell others of your experience.

Tank sensors
pcallahan97009

Over the last 20 plus years with trailers, 5th wheels and our Class A 2000 Monaco Diplomat we have never run into gauges that work.  Learn your tanks, your usage, and dump on a schedule.

Odometer is way off
Gary Cole

Deliberate intent to defraud or mislead is to the best of my experience the crux of the matter regarding statutes. One could reset their odometer to zero every day so long as there was no intent to deceive or mislead, for example, a purchaser, tax agency, or insurance company. Otherwise it would be illegal for an individual to purchase a new speedometer and install it. That day is coming in certain blue states like CA.

Keys made
Trinidaddave
2 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Wow....that key must have been poorly made or had some physical abuse done to it in the past.

I would have never though that a barrel key would break like that.

Thanks for the photo.

I think it was just pressed in with nothing holding it secure.  

2 hours ago, JDCrow said:

Mine are Tri-mark locks, they are available on Amazon.  I am not sure how to match the locks to the remotes.  My controller is in the space under passengers cup holder.

Ivylog

Even though the “new” SpeedCo is not as RV friendly, it’s still a good alternative for oil changes. No need to take up the shop foreman’s time or talks to the men doing the work…pretty sure they can handle it.

Ivan K

That sucks, taking a pan down for externally changeable filter is just dumb. You know there is a deep and shallow pan too, 50/50 chance to get it right...

Air Intake Drain Hose I Assume
Chuck B

Just a note.  Remember that 2003 was a transition year for the Windsor when it was changed to a raised rail chassis.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

HWH parts department
michaelivan

I have had an issue with my HWH air leveling system.  The main power button (air) has started working very intermittently. It makes it a challenge to level the MH and keep it level.  I have been waiting 3 days for a call back from their parts department (I have called twice and am on the call back wait list but no response). If I new which control panel that I need I could probably order but  don't want to waste time in ordering the wrong part. 

We have a Monaco Windsor with the 600 series leveling system.  Any ideas as to which panel I need or am I stuck with waiting for the call back.

Thanks

Mike

Chuck B
1 hour ago, Ivylog said:

Even though the “new” SpeedCo is not as RV friendly, it’s still a good alternative for oil changes. No need to take up the shop foreman’s time or talks to the men doing the work…pretty sure they can handle it.

If my memory serves me correct, I think Allison came out with a new longer lasting filters.  I do know that Allison considers that their transmissions in a motor home as light duty.  I would be concerned about a shop that recommends dropping the pan to change out filters that has their own external port.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Keys made
Flyinhy

I see on the schematics a switch but I don't know where that switch is at. I'll be playing "where's waldo" tomorrow. 

Drivers foot carpet
ukrmalcolm

I hope not to sound to simplistic or crass however you can stop in at any home outfitter and purchase a suitable "toilet carpet" - the toilet carpet is the steering column in reverse! Lots of choices and inexpensive to replace. Malcolm

Custom Basement Tray with TV, Freezer/Fridge, & Grill
tomevansfl

Cool!  I like what you did. 

Lose belt 370ISL
Jerry G

20211006_185920.thumb.jpg.3b129cf0851fa8d8c5055cce483c36a2.jpg20211006_185902.thumb.jpg.21c9a4cbc95d0e34703bfbe0fd9eb929.jpgJust pulled in to overnight near Page AZ.

Checked engine oil and found the smaller engine belt loose. Can see missing bolt.

Wondering if this is the dash ac compressor on top right side of engine and would it be OK to drive it if I just take it off and drive to Page 12 miles to get a bolt?

20211006_185920.jpg

2011 Camelot--all power to dash lost
vanwill52

2011 Camelot.  It is the title of the post.

Lose belt 370ISL
klcdenver

That is your A/C compressor. See if you can tie wrap the belt secure so it is clear of pulleys until you can get a bolt. That is your tension adjustment for the belt.

Turn signal bulbs
JDCrow

So on my Dip, the turn signal has an 1157 bulb (dual filament) I’m not sure why. It’s separate from the park light/brake light circuit. It seems it should be an 1156 single Filament bulb like the reverse bulb. 

I’m adding a second set of some bulbs and their functions, so trying to understand. 

45D84ED4-B78D-4270-B593-668F17B2028E.jpeg

0FCFB5B6-6A83-4B27-9874-D73C1535902D.jpeg

Air leak
Ivylog
7 hours ago, Hypoxia said:

Beating a dead horse, IMHO

Hopefully there’s not a pun in there. I doubt the OP supported his rig before tightening the 4 screws and taking the pictures. Fortunately he didn’t loosen them as there’s only 8” of clearance when aired down.

Lose belt 370ISL
vito.a

If it's the outside belt, pull it off for now.  I'd also get some PB Blaster and spray it on the adjuster.  

Lose belt 370ISL
Jerry G
25 minutes ago, klcdenver said:

That is your A/C compressor. See if you can tie wrap the belt secure so it is clear of pulleys until you can get a bolt. That is your tension adjustment for the belt.

Thanks. I'll take the belt off.

6 minutes ago, vito.a said:

If it's the outside belt, pull it off for now.  I'd also get some PB Blaster and spray it on the adjuster.  

I haven't used dash ac in 14 years would be afraid to even try it.

Is it ok to just take and leave it off. I do use dash heat and defrost occasionally. 

Lose belt 370ISL
klcdenver

It has nothing to do with heat or the blower so you can leave belt off.

cterryl@sbcglobal.net

I wouldn't let anyone service an Allison Transmission except an Allison Transmission shop. Last time I had mine done they let me sit in the motorhome and read the paper. Filters and all the oil Took about an hour. That is all they do is Allison Transmissions. The Allison in a motorhome is the same one used in garbage trucks. Bulletproof but does need to be serviced on a regular basis. Find a shop that does only Allison Transmissions. 

Keys made
Trinidaddave
2 hours ago, Flyinhy said:

I see on the schematics a switch but I don't know where that switch is at. I'll be playing "where's waldo" tomorrow. 

My 05 Safari Gazelle has a key pad by the entry door.  I believe it is directly behind in the wall, but I am not really sure.

Odometer is way off
Nosmo179

I have a 1996 Dynasty and had my odometer die. I got a replacement from a salvage yard. It worked but it wasn't giving good readings... a real mile read as 1.3 or so. It took me a while to find out how easy it was to recalibrate it. Sorry, I don't have the steps in hand but it's an easy google search. Just note that the reading is not true whenever you give the odometer reading.

Flyinhy
6 hours ago, FishAR said:

Not a good Camelot day. For starters I got the title back and the know it all old hag at the dmv that gave me so much trouble managed to get Monaco Camalot on the title. Can't read, spell, or type and also sucks at public relations. Just a small aggravation I guess.

Went to the truck shop to see why I hadn't heard anything. I get "we had to drop the pan to see what filters the transmission took so we could order them, you've got your allison 1000's, 2000's,3000's. I was just getting ready to call about where they were at."

I said It's a 3000, I told you all that.  I've got a printout of every filter and fluid that goes in that motorhome laying on the kitchen table. I was trying to explain that and other things about what I wanted done to your guy when I brought it in but he let me know you all were experts and my input wasn't needed. So you all really haven't done anything yet.

"No sir but we're right on it as soon as those filters arrive, we want to do it all at once"

I said Well you've got my number so how about giving me a call about progress every now and then. This was supposed to be 2 days, this is 3 days already. 

-----------------------------------------------------

I'll do things different next time for sure.

I'm in the process of changing all the fluids on my executive. $600 in filters and oil alone so far and I haven't started on the generator yet. Im tackling the transmission tomorrow. It shouldn't take more than a hour or so.  Taking the pan down doesn't make sense at all. The two filter housings are hard to miss. I'm curious as to what they charge you for that mistake. 

Where do you buy your oil and fuel filters ?
Oregon04Windsor

OEM Fleetguard filters off Amazon.  There's been a couple sellers selling two pack filters for slightly more than one filter elsewhere.  Loaded up on fuel and oil filters 🙂

Lose belt 370ISL
vito.a

The A/C compressor is used for defrost mode to dehumidify.  However, if you haven't used it for 14 years chances are the seals have dried and the R-134 refrigerant has leaked out.  

Turn signal bulbs
Rikadoo

1157 same as 1034, one filiment park, other is brake ya got to have a difference of bulb intensity… i took them out an put in leds, a lot less current draw, an brighter output!

Turn signal bulbs
JDCrow
6 minutes ago, Rikadoo said:

1157 same as 1034, one filiment park, other is brake ya got to have a difference of bulb intensity… i took them out an put in leds, a lot less current draw, an brighter output!

Yeah the 1157 is the park and brake on the below lenses. This has the same bulb on the upper orange lenses, that doesn’t illuminate for park lights. I’m switching to LED as well and trying to see if there is a way to double up on turn signals/park/brake but they seem to be on different circuits 

75F6199D-484B-4C0F-806D-C79048555D4E.jpeg

40F9F392-52DF-425E-AF72-B24FCEBCBCC8.jpeg

Turn signal bulbs
Rikadoo

You could use a 1156, what i found is they got a hotter when on, plus lets pretend its all about $$$ you know they got those lamp assys with 3 wire sockets std so rather than put in what makes sence. So just cut one wire an use the other, hummmm bean cutter play book

Turn signal bulbs
JDCrow
2 minutes ago, Rikadoo said:

You could use a 1156, what i found is they got a hotter when on, plus lets pretend its all about $$$ you know they got those lamp assys with 3 wire sockets std so rather than put in what makes sence. So just cut one wire an use the other, hummmm bean cutter play book

Ok so I’m not crazy LOL. These sockets are super cheap looking for sure 

Air leak
Hypoxia
2 hours ago, Ivylog said:

Hopefully there’s not a pun in there. I doubt the OP supported his rig before tightening the 4 screws and taking the pictures. Fortunately he didn’t loosen them as there’s only 8” of clearance when aired down.

Are there any children here?  There are more posts on this thread about saving yourself from yourself than about the mechanical problem.  Everyone on here gets onto the highway every day and thinks nothing of whizzing past each other with a 150 MPH closing speed a few feet away.  I did not spend my life in a cocoon and don't think many of us have.  I just do not understand this phobia.  Rant over.

Old school maps and books
Scotty Hutto

Although I love my gadgets (and when driving usually have both my Garmin and Waze running, for different reasons), I still have this and use it…

image.thumb.jpg.12246a30632a2fe036b178f926bb1c57.jpg

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.